big-nerd-ranch-logo

Big Nerd Ranch

Atlanta, Monterey

Big Nerd Ranch

Big Nerd Ranch is a mobile app development and design firm and training company that has taught one-week intensive bootcamps since 2001. Hosted at their locations in Georgia and Northern California, courses focus on mobile development in iOS and Android as well as front-end web development. Students live and learn at the ranch during these courses and distractions are limited, as meals and accommodations are provided.

Course instructors are best-selling authors and full-time developers who have real-world experience in building custom apps for clients, so students can be sure that they're getting the best instruction there is. In addition to the bootcamps, instructors also teach at companies throughout the world, including Facebook, Spotify, Airbnb and more as part of their corporate training program. At Big Nerd Ranch, students will be subjected to the most intensive app development course you could imagine. But when they finish, they’ll be part of an elite corps: the few, the proud, the Nerds.

Recent Big Nerd Ranch Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (51) reviews for Big Nerd Ranch →

Recent Big Nerd Ranch News

• Accelerated iOS with Swift

Monterey, Atlanta
      If you’ve already mastered procedural and object-oriented programming and need a fast-paced introduction to iOS development, this course is for you. With this five-day bootcamp, you’ll be building elegant and efficient iOS apps in no time. What You'll Learn: - Setting up text input fields on the iPhone and move the virtual keyboard onto the screen - Pulling data from a web service for use in an application and storing that data on the device - How to handle touch and complex multi-touch sequences - Properly configure your user interface to handle multiple device orientations and device rotation - Using Auto Layout to create user interfaces that work on any device - Using Core Data for data persistence View our website for a full course syllabus.
      Payment is due in full upon registration.
      The registration fee covers the cost of training, lodging, meals and educational materials, as well as a shuttle to and from major airports. Students cover the cost of additional transportation (e.g., airfare, rental cars, public transportation or taxis), guest fees, meals other than those provided for our students, and any additional activity fees such as bike rentals or greens fees.
      Refund / Guarantee
      We offer a 10% discount with a valid military, school or educator ID. In addition, alumni automatically qualify for a 10% discount.
      Without prior experience in either a procedural programming language (such as C, Pascal, VB, or PHP) or another object-oriented platform (such as Java or C#), this class may prove to be extremely challenging.
    • Advanced Android

Android
      Monterey, Atlanta
      Go beyond the fundamentals in our five-day Advanced Android course for experienced Android developers. You’ll learn how to prep your app for app store submission and the techniques that make your code stand out from the crowd. We’ll also teach you how to maintain your app and improve its performance. What You'll Learn: - Authentication with OAuth - Handling network errors - How to choose the right threading options - Testing with mock responses and recorded server responses - Simplifying your code by leveraging 3rd-party libraries - Implementing fully custom views - Creating custom notifications - Signing apps, Google play release process, alpha and beta releases View our website for a full course syllabus.
      Refund / Guarantee
      Students should be familiar with the basics of Android development, including creating new projects, using Activities and Fragments, implementing a layout, using a Service and making network requests.
    • Advanced iOS

In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week-51 Weeks
      Monterey, Atlanta
      This 5-day class explores advanced iOS development topics and will teach you how to maximize the performance of your new and existing iOS applications. Prepare your brain for an influx of Swift and iOS programming knowledge. What You'll Learn: - Various tools for document-based and multithreaded architecture - Create iOS extensions - Record video, process barcodes and synthesize speech using AVFoundation - Create custom animations for transitions between view controllers - Take advantage of unit testing - Create your own UIs with custom Layers and Core Graphics View our website for a full course syllabus.
      Refund / Guarantee
      The class will cover Swift and Objective-C interoperability, but is taught using Swift. We recommend at least three months of working iOS development experience prior to taking this class.
    • Android Essentials

Android
      Monterey, Atlanta
      Four out of every five smartphones uses the Android operating system. Learn to build for this ever-present platform with our five-day introduction to Android programming. What You'll Learn: - Build sophisticated applications using multiple activities and fragments - Integrate with web services using REST APIs and threading - Effectively handle configuration changes and low memory states - Communicate between and within Android applications - Make your user interface shine with styles and themes - Animate views using property animations View our website for a full course syllabus.
      Refund / Guarantee
      A working knowledge of Java is necessary for this course and students should have programming experience. However, no Android programming experience is necessary.
    • Front-End Essentials

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Front End
      Atlanta
      If your website or web app doesn’t work on smartphones, then it simply doesn’t work. More people are using mobile devices than ever before, requiring a new approach to design and development. This 5-day course teaches you how to implement responsive, mobile-friendly layouts for your website and provides a solid foundation in programming for the browser. From the first day of class, you’ll build websites and apps that work in different browsers and on different screens, learning skills that will last beyond the next wave of devices and will survive new OS releases. Enterprise teams will find this course especially useful for building apps used in a bring-your-own-device environment. What You'll Learn: - Building responsive, mobile-friendly websites - Using Bootstrap for rapid styling and how to write the code that powers your application - Improving your site’s performance and efficiency - Leveraging real-time data for collaborating across web and native apps - Writing effective JavaScript, CSS, and HTML5 - Utilizing Ember.js, jQuery, and Node.js View our website for a full course syllabus.
      Refund / Guarantee
      Software development experience is necessary, though it does not have to be with JavaScript. Working knowledge of HTML and CSS will be very helpful, but is not required.
    • iOS Essentials with Swift

Monterey, Atlanta
      If you're new to iOS development and want to write applications that run on the iPhone or iPad, this course is just what you need. In just seven days, we’ll have you building your first iOS application using Swift. What You'll Learn: - The toolchains and the classes that make up the iOS UI framework - Using Core Data for data persistence - Understand application architecture and how to pass data around in your application. - Syntax, best practices and hands-on examples for functions and closures - How Swift's native Error Handling mechanism helps you write elegant and safe code View our website for a full course syllabus.
      Refund / Guarantee
      Prior experience in either a procedural programming language (such as C, Pascal, VB, or PHP) or another object-oriented platform (such as Java or C#) is strongly recommended.

• Mike  User Photo
      Mike • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The complete immersion into the subject matter is fantastic. I attended the iOS Dev and by the end of the course, I was not only skilled but confident in those skills. I am now a fulltime iOS dev.

I have recommended BNR to colleagues that have gone and loved it as well. I will be going back shortly to add Kotlin to my bag of tricks.

The format is well thought out and the material builds on itself nicly.

• François-Olivier Leblanc  User Photo
      François-Olivier Leblanc • iOS developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The biggest thing I got from the bootcamp is that I actually got rid of my impostor syndrome. Being there, following along every lesson, learning a ton, I left with a confidence that I did not have before.

At the end of the week, I was able to manually draw a graph in Swift, based on dynamic data and to integrate it in a Objective-C code base.

Every detail of the bootcamp is well thought out. The overall experience is absolutely fantastic.

• Highly Recommended
      - 4/19/2018
      Cindy Yates  User Photo
      Cindy Yates • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the iOS Essentials with Swift bootcamp in Monterey. The Asilomar Conference center is beautiful and very comfortable. I was new to iOS programmng and so, for me, the pace was very fast. The course proved to be an excellent foundation for me to build upon. I am looking forward to attending an Advance course when I feel like I have progressed enough to benefit from it. I had wanted to attend a Big Nerd Ranch bootcamp for quite some and was not disappointed at all.

• Anna Sherman  User Photo
      Anna Sherman • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Big Nerd Ranch knows how to put on a bootcamp!

The curriculum was thorough and easy to follow. The instructors were engaging and very knowledgeable. If they didn't know an answer off the top of their heads they would help me find the answer.

The location, Stone Mountain Resort, was breath taking and extremely comfortable. All of my needs were taken care of and provided the perfect environment to focus on learning.

I cannot recommend this bootcamp enough to anyone who is looking to jump into the Swift and iOS world. I was able to take the skills I learned from this bootcamp to launch my first iOS app!

• Life Changing
      - 4/7/2018
      Larry Staton Jr.  User Photo
      Larry Staton Jr. • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The Big Nerd Ranch changed my life. I was working as a lawyer and writing software on the side. I wanted to transition to writing software full-time, but I didn't have the confidence to make the switch. I heard about the Big Nerd Ranch from a friend and I decided to attend a seven-day bootcamp in Atlanta. I took a week off of work and drove to Atlanta for the class. I was very nervous because I wasn't a professional software developer and I didn't have a computer science degree. The first morning, my instructor made me feel at ease. As we worked through the materials and the examples, I noticed that I knew as much or more than my peers. I took advantage of the lunch and dinner time to speak with my instructors and peers and my confidence  continued to grow. By the end of the week, I knew that I wanted to write software as a full-time job and I had the confidence to do it. I got home and, with my Big Nerd Ranch certification in hand, I applied to several software development jobs. After several offers, I closed up my law firm and started my new career as a software developer. I still work as a software developer. I even write software for some of my lawyer friends. All thanks to The Big Nerd Ranch.

• Brent Schooley  User Photo
      Brent Schooley • Developer Evangelist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Being able to take a week away from the hustle and bustle of your daily workflow to focus on learning a new skill is an amazing resource. That is exactly how Big Nerd Ranch is set up and let me tell you, it works.

I chose to attend the Android Essentials Boot Camp after having attended an Advanced iOS Boot Camp in the past. I chose Monterey because the location is on a campground with cabins (many of which include fireplaces), great food at the three scheduled meals per day (as well as a shop that sells food and drinks including beer & wine during off meal times), and amazing beach views. Location, location, location.

As far as content is concerned, the instructors are incredibly knowledgeable  and are there for you during all of the hands on sessions. Our instructor also hung out with us in the evening when we gathered around a fireplace and worked on the material we had learned during the day. It's a great learning environment and it is staffed with the right people for the job. You'll also meet people that you'll talk to in the months after your course and maybe forever.

If there is one complaint I could make it would be that the pacing can be inconsistent at times. The instructors do a great job of managing and adjusting for this though so it's not a major complaint.

I highly recommend checking out a Big Nerd Ranch Boot Camp if you get the opportunity.

• Mark Lowther  User Photo
      Mark Lowther • iOS Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Attended Big Nerd Ranch Advanced iOS Bootcamp. This was a very fast paced course. I was initially concerned that I would not retain much of what was covered. However, as I began to apply what I had learned, I quickly realized the value of this course.

• By far the best!
      - 4/4/2018
      Michael Roedel  User Photo
      Michael Roedel • Digital Communications Administrator • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I've participated in other boot camps but BNR is the best! I've attended two so far (both in iOS) and will be back for more. You'll leave inspired to tackle any projects you can dream up.

• Bruce Carter  User Photo
      Bruce Carter • Senior Systems Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This course was an excellent, though high intensity, introduction to iOS programming with Objective-C.  Clearly this is an older course, and I have since gone on with the books to Swift, but Joe Conway did an excellent job with this hands on course, keeping everybody together on the same page and steadily progressing.  I have been a developer/programmer for a long time, and I was glad that I completed the preparatory steps that were listed in the registration material.  I'm not much for the wilderness, so the location was a bit odd, but on the other hand, having nothing to do but study and code did increase the tendency to, well, study and code!  This was a very early iteration of this course, so Joe was literally rewriting parts of it as we went.  Overall, an excellent experience.

• Advanced iOS
      - 4/3/2018
      Del Brown  User Photo
      Del Brown • Lead iOS Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend Big Nerd Ranch bootcamps:

• The instructors are very knowledgable
      • The instructors work hard to help you with any current work problems/challenges related to the class topic
      • Big Nerd Ranch provides ways to stay in touch afer the class
      • Big Nerd Ranch provides an atmosphere where you can really focus on the material
      • You *really* get to nerd out
    • Nic Ollis  User Photo
      Nic Ollis Verified via LinkedIn

I was very lucky to be able to go to the advance iOS bootcamp and it is worth every penny if not more. You come out so prepaired and ready to take you iOS apps to the next level.

• Andrew Dennistoun  User Photo
      Andrew Dennistoun • Graduate Verified via GitHub

• Geoff White  User Photo
      Geoff White • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Unlike some (many?) school-based courses what you'll get with Big Nerd Ranch is instruction informed and taught by people that also develop real-world apps, both independently and for larger companies as clients.  In my class there were both people brand new to iPhone/mobile development, some very fresh to programming in general, and others with many years of software development experience, and the instructors went out of their way to ensure students at every level got what they needed.  I enjoyed their in-person boot camp a bit more than their programming books (at least the most recent Swift book from BNR).

• Cocoa Bootcamp
      - 6/14/2017
      Randall Meadows  User Photo
      Randall Meadows • Cocoa/Android Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had a little bit of experience with Cocoa, but just didn't quite "get it".  After a week at the Big Nerd Ranch's Cocoa Bootcamp, I came back with a solid understanding of Cocoa, a much broader range of skills that I went in with, and a confidence that I could now fully embrace my indie software development career (going on 10 years now)!

• Marga Keuvelaar  User Photo
      Marga Keuvelaar • senior iOS / tvOS / Mac Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This training really helped me to cover the basics of iOS development. Before starting, I already had quite a couple years of software development experience, which made things a bit more manageable for me, but still... It was very intensive, started right after breakfast and often continued till well after dinner. I'm not sure I've ever been so tired in my entire life, but it was totally worth it. The teachers were great, I could never have accomplished this in the same amount of time on my own, even though the Big Nerd Ranch guides are also very good. I took this training pre-Swift, and ARC was just introduced, so it's a while ago, but they made sure that the newest technologies were covered in the training. Teachers used good real life examples, they were very aproachable, and helpful. It's a good mix between classical instruction and doing excercises. Never regretted taking this course!

• Michael Johnson - AAOS  User Photo
      Michael Johnson - AAOS • Senior UI/UX Developer Verified via LinkedIn

Not only was the Asilomar an amazing experience, but the instructor and curriculum were outstanding. If you really want to fastrack your development skills with very indepth coverage, I highly suggest Big Nerd Ranch courses.

• Incredible
      - 4/17/2017
      Jordan  User Photo
      Jordan • Senior Programmer • Student Verified via GitHub

The location, the focus, the course content, the food, the instructor, the pacing. My brain was exhausted at the end of the week, but I had absorbed enough that I felt like I could actually write apps. I still had to figure out things on my own, they just can't teach EVERYTHING in a week, but they came close enough. I now have an app in the App Store and another two apps internally at my business.

• Amazing
      - 4/16/2017
      Andrew King  User Photo
      Andrew King Verified via GitHub

Big Nerd Ranch took me from zero to hero in 7 intense days of brain bulging education. I took it home and was able to build on everything I learned to work towards my first app release.

Amazing people in amazing locations really enhance the learning experience past anything you expect going in. Just super.

• Tim Trandel • Graduate

I attended the iOS 7 day class with Objective-C.

I have been to literally dozens of training classes over the years and 90% of the bore me.

This was the best training class I have been to by far for the following reasons.

1. Immersion - If you can find the time, please try to. Being dedicated helps focus and results. There are a lot of online courses available and they are really good. This experience is world-class.
      2. Instructors - My instructor was world-class. I was looking for industry expert which is what I got
      3. Teaches you how to learn - Many classes and online sites tell you how to do things. BNR does some of that but more importantly they teach you how to use the Apple docs properly and find the correct answers yourself instead of relying on search engines
      4. Classmates - You will find that all your classmates are very motivated because they also are dedicating the time. I love learning from others and since you eat and train together all day you get to learn a lot from many different angles.

(Please note my class was iOS with Objective-C but that was not an option in the drop-down list)

• Bob Czaplicki • Graduate

Without a doubt, I highly recommend BNR's iOS Essentials with Swift course.  As an experienced developer that was looking for a springboard into iOS / Swift, this course was great.  During the course of the program, we were exposed to important topics on iOS and Swift and were encouraged to think outside of the box and ask questions beyond the course material.  At the end of the course, I had not only a large portfolio of working code examples, but also experience and knowledge beyond what could be found in just the book.

Location and ammenities were great as well.

Helpful hints: 1) Make sure to be fully focused on the training while there.  Do your best to avoid work emails, etc, unless required.  2) Have a project or idea to play around with during office hours in the evening.  This is a great way to expand on the knowledge you have learned on a daily basis and will allow you to ask questions beyond what is covered in class, and the instructors will be helpful in answering your questions.

I've attended the Android course as well, and it was great.  Really looking forward to the Kotlin course in May!

- 4/5/2018
      Mark Lowther • iOS Engineer • Graduate

Very fast paced course. I was initially concerned that I would not retain much of what was covered. However, it has proven invaluable to the advancement of my iOS skills.

• Chris Goodman • Graduate

I had the wonderful opportunity to be in the first group of students for iPhone programming bootcamp, what is known now as iOS Essentials.  Joe Conway and staff were great instructors, and the material helped me understand where Apple was going with app development.

• Christopher Goodman • Graduate

This bootcamp was many years ago, but it served as my entry into Objective C programming for the Mac.  I had been to a 1 day short course at WWDC a couple years before and in return I came out for the week long course.  It was a good environment including good food and new friends.

I still feel that going back now would be useful to level up to the state of the art.

• Tim Brooks • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate

I really enjoyed the pacing and difficulty level of the course.  It was billed as an advanced course and it really delivered. But if you had the prerequisite knowledge and experience it was not too challenging. I've been to many similar courses and/or conferences where the content didn't really match what was promised.  The projects were really well chosen and allowed to me cover skills and technology I was aware of but had never found time to learn. I think we've all been to the -- 5 hours of content crammed into 20 hours of delivery type experience.  This is not that!  Great instruction. Great materials.  I just can't say enough about BNR.  Have been buying their books for longer than I can remember -- and I buy pretty much every one of their iOS dev books regardless -- but it was so much better to 'meet the man' as it were.