- What are the origins of Node.js?
- What is Node?
- What are the advantages of learning Node?
- What are some examples of what Node is used for?
- What are alternatives to Node?
- What are the disadvantages of Node?
- Why does DigitalCrafts teach Node?
- How do I learn Node.js?
This presented an opportunity to Ryan Dahl, the creator of Node. What if you could bridge the gap? What if you could take the language that everyone knows and make it work outside of the browser with this new V8 machine?
- It’s incredibly fast when it comes to handling traffic, and it has the largest module market of any language. NPM (node package manager) has grown at a meteoric rate and there are multiple modules of just about everything.
- Walmart switched their website over to Node specifically for all the requests that happen on Black Friday. It’s also great for API’s and real-time applications (like instant messaging or games).
- At a former job, we had a Node developer processing pictures that came in from a real-time camera and sent them on to another server. That I know of, the pictures never saw the web.
- Many companies I interact with don’t use Node as their primary language, but do use it to manage dependencies because the NPM (node package manager) market is so vast and solid.
These are just a few examples, but it’s not really limited in its application, certainly not to the web. It’s a general-purpose language that can do pretty much anything any other language can do.
Node is now competing with PHP, Python, and all the other back-end languages. They can work together if organized correctly, but it’s really a matter of choice.
ASP and PHP are particularly effective web languages because the learning curve is next to nothing for a beginner.
- Writing a web server in Node requires quite a bit of knowledge.
- It’s quite a young technology compared to most entry-level languages which means there aren’t as many starter resources because they just haven’t been developed yet.
- You will need to embrace promises if you are going to have a chance – something no other languages have to worry about.
- Node is not ideal in CPU-heavy apps, like looking for oil on a supercomputer. It can be done with Node, it’s just not ideal, and has found its primary place elsewhere.
- The job market has a crazy demand for it since so many modern applications have high input/output requirements.
Follow the free 4-part tutorial by DigitalCrafts below:
28 Summer Coding Bootcamps
Learn to code this summer (updated for 2018)!
What is Artificial Intelligence?
AI encompasses CS, machine learning, and data science, but what does it all really mean?