mento-design-academy-logo

Mento Design Academy

Mento Design Academy

Mento Design Academy is an online, self-paced UX & UI Design bootcamp that takes students 20-45 weeks to complete. The bootcamp curriculum is tailored to match each student's level, background, interests, and learning pace. Since the bootcamp is self-paced, students can choose to organize their learning schedule in a way that works for them (most students keep their full-time job during the bootcamp). There are no classrooms or fixed hours, and the study groups are mindful of timezones (and optional). Students are matched with a dedicated mentor based on their learning needs and career goals, and they meet with their mentor in a weekly 1:1 session.

The curriculum is built by a top team of designers with experience at companies such as Adobe, Google, Facebook. The curriculum teaches students everything they need in order to land their first UX job and be successful in it. All the theory is immediately translated into practical assignments, to help students get hands-on quickly and practice design at every step of the learning journey. Under close guidance from their mentor, students will complete up to three practical projects solving real-life problems for their portfolio. Students will also learn soft skills, including teamwork.

No prior design experience is required to apply for Mento Design Academy bootcamp. Only a stable internet connection is required.

Community is a key aspect of every successful learning journey, and Mento brings together students, mentors, past graduates and design industry leaders into a supportive family that students can always rely on to help and encourage them. Career support services are offered at the end of a student’s learning journey to prepare them for the job hunt. Students will optimize their portfolio with their mentor, run mock interviews with Senior UX Designers that have hiring experience, get in touch with Mento’s Design Recruitment partners at Fearless Group, and get access to Mento’s network to land their first job interviews. Career support continues beyond graduation, since students get lifetime access to the Mento community where they can get help and guidance from their mentor, other mentors, industry leaders and more.

Recent Mento Design Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (10) reviews for Mento Design Academy →

Recent Mento Design Academy News

• UX Design

User Experience Design
      OnlinePart Time24 Weeks
      The bootcamp curriculum is tailored to match each student's level, background, interests, and learning pace. Bootcamp students will work alongside mentors. Students will complete four practical projects solving real-life problems for their portfolio. Students will also learn soft skills, including teamwork.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prior design experience is required to apply
    • Régis Camassola  User Photo
      Régis Camassola • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Before enrolling with Mento I spend some good 6 months searching and reading about all the different options out there. Although they seem to be very similar at first glance, the professional background of the Mento team Makes them stand out. I Have always been a bit sceptical about all the Bootcamps out there that “promise” a quick transition in UX within 6 months, And since my first “get to know” call with Radu, He was very transparent by setting The right expectations. Their successful careers, honesty by setting the right expectations and a curriculum that offers you the chance to work on real projects - In my personal experience that was what made them “different” from the others. You might be a bit unsure about reviews, but trust me: Book a call with them to get to know the program and you won’t be disappointed.
    • Mircea Dan  User Photo
      Mircea Dan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I’ve participated before the pandemic in a 3 months course and also finished some other shorter courses online, including some on IDF platform. So, since this is not my first UX design course, I have some terms of comparison. The difference is that this is by far the most interactive and full of practice from them all. I love the fact that I was not bombarded with information and it was delivered gradually while doing the assignments. I can easily access more if I want or need and also get guidance from my mentor when I get stuck. I think this is by far a better way to learn and remember something - by focusing on the practice. The course starts with some good pointers on how to be practical about learning, inspires you to set a goal and prepares you to use the processes and tools. By the time you start your projects, you already have some confidence because of already doing these things. My guess is this was not an easy feat, to think about how to deliver it in such a good manner. I want to congratulate everyone for the wonderful job! I think it’s really awesome!
    • Raluca Angelescu • UX Designer • Graduate
      Mento strives to offer you everything you need for your future career without unnecessary noise, which is extremely rare to find nowadays: a structured curriculum with accurate information, perfectly balanced by practical assignments, warm mentorship sessions that help you develop your knowledge and get into the right mindset, and last but not least, a fantastic community of students and Design professionals. A rare combination of assets that makes me proud to be their student.

I got my first UX Design job during my last month in the Bootcamp, and I was ready to tackle design challenges and be independent. They don't just "teach" you what you need to know; you learn how to understand the processes and ask yourself the purpose behind every decision. You learn to bring arguments, speak up, and understand and articulate your choices. I've never seen this in any learning program I've been into, not to mention school.

Even though they offer you a well-needed structure, think of it as more of a guidance system. Everything is tailored to you, your particular needs, skills, expectations, time, and effort you put into learning - with the risk of using a cliché: they actually help you be the best version of yourself in terms of Design. Even though you have weekly mentorship sessions, they are always ready to offer support if needed, if you get stuck, or if you have a question. You are never alone during this learning process; you also get to interact with and learn from other students.

If you are looking for a way to transition into UX Design, this is a gem! They are constantly offering everything you need to become a successful UX Designer; it just depends on you to learn as much as you can!
    • Darija Livaic • News Editor-In-Chief/Journalist/aspiring UX Researcher • Applicant
      Great curriculum full of valuable information, interesting and demanding assignments, a mentor who is guiding me and motivating me throughout my learning journey, a supportive community, and lovely and motivating student group sessions - these are some of the most important things to know about Mento Design Academy for someone who wants to learn UI/UX Design.

As someone who is changing her career path from journalism to UX/UI Design, I did plenty of research and preparation before I have choose Mento. And I did not regret it any second.

What they do is so great and you can feel all that energy, modesty, knowledge, and optimism on the whole learning path. They are also helping us to find our way and to be strategic about our careers.

Even after we finish our Bootcamp, we get their support and guidance which is also one of the huge differentiators from others. I am also a mum and having their support in that context also means the world to me.

To sum it up - the best UI/UX Design Bootcamp out there. And I can see this is just a beginning of a wonderful and successful story!
    • STUDENT
      - 6/22/2022
      HC CHEN
      "My mentorship sessions gave me the professional and personal guidance I needed to transition into UX Design."

The best part of Mento Design Academy for me is the mentorship program. My mentorship sessions gave me the professional and personal guidance I needed to transition into UX Design. I couldn't be happier with my experience! I thought the curriculum was very well organized, and the materials were educational and easy to follow. I also enjoyed the family-like slack community and networking opportunities Mento offered, which helped me learn UX without feeling alone:)
    • Jasmine Ziyu Liu • Graduate
      It’s one of the best investment I’ve done in my life! I enjoyed my learning with the curriculum, my mentor and my peers! I really appreciate that the mento team constantly iterates to provide us a better learning experience and a supportive community. The curriculum does not only teach you things you need to know to complete your Bootcamp projects but things you need to know as a UX professional! What surprised me is that even though I haven't completed my bootcamp, I already got referrals to interview and now I am really grateful that I am doing an internship program in Europe which has been my goal for a long time.
    • Wafa' • Student
      The best part of Mento Design Academy is the community that they have. The community is friendly and helpful. I love that they also have a bi-weekly study group session - it makes me feel like I'm not going through the journey alone. The curriculum is well-written and easy to follow. If you're looking for a boot camp to transit to UX, look no further!
    • Todd McCauley • Product Designer • Applicant
      I'm really glad I ended up selecting this bootcamp among the many choices I had at my disposal.

There are (4) primary reasons Mento stands out among other bootcamps:

The bootcamp structure is based off a mentorship relationship opposed to simply a teacher/student dynamic. Because of this, students develop a much closer and productive relationship that is more conducive to growth and development. This is essential when looking for a job, the Mentors know your goals, background, and talents.

2) Opposed to being a cookie cutter, do x y and z type of experience, Mento prioritizes critical thinking and applying true user centered design as an overarching philosophy. What this translates to is customized, personal products that allow you to stand out among others who may have followed a reused template. You infuse your personal strengths and interests, background, and goals into the work you do which creates a much more compelling candidate package in recruiter's eyes. Additionally, Mento doesn't hail any type of UX method as the ONE true method. Instead, you take each challenge as they are and critically apply what methods you think to be a good fit to solve that problem. In my eyes, that's great UX.

3) Unlike other bootcamps, the greatness doesn't end after you complete all the assignments. One of the major reasons I chose Mento is because they offer support and guidance when you actually start the job search. Instead of being left out drifting in an open sea of applications, you'll have experienced professionals coaching you along the way. Talk about a cheat code. They don't promise 100% results, no one can, but they give you blueprints, actionable advice, and access to their ridiculously expansive networks.

4) Lastly, the professionals who curated this program, namely Radu Vucea (my mentor!) and Ioana Teleanu, are industry rockstars who have spanned the gambit of content creation, corporate, startup, hiring, recruitment, and now entrepreneurship. Talk about experience. As a Mento student, you have access to their literal decades of knowledge at your disposal. The only limit to how much you can access is your own ambitions. They emphasize being available to answer questions and make it a priority to converse with their mentees weekly. This bootcamp isn't perfect, none are. It heavily hinges on how much effort you put in yourself. However, this, in my eyes, is a benefit because it helps to curate the spirit of being a self starter, something that essential in a great UXer.

In my own experience as a new designer (graduated from college knowing nothing about UX), this bootcamp is helping me to accomplish exactly what I set out to do - Create a portfolio that reflects who I am, what I want to do, and the awesome work I'm capable of doing. If this sounds like it can help you become the UX designer you want to be, stop reading & sign up - https://www.mentodesign.academy/ If this review helped you make your decision, make sure to tell them Todd McCauley sent you in the "Where did you find out about Mento?" section!

• Volodymyr • UX/UI Designer • Graduate
      My experience with the Mento Design Academy is unparalleled. This is one of a kind boot camp I would recommend to anybody without a second thought. What sets Mento apart from the competition is that the curriculum is tailored to you. You can focus on your strengths and weaknesses, while improving at your own pace. All of the mentors I have been working with are extremely supportive, and you could sense that they care about you and your success in the field. To be honest I feel like this boot camp is so much more than just a ticket to your dream job. After hours of communicating with the mentor I have grown both mentally and as a person. What is more, no matter what question you will have they are always there to help you, and the growing community of students in Slack also boosts you to network and work even harder.

Additionally, besides the curriculum and 1 on 1 sessions with mentors, they usually organize Zoom events and meetings with known designers across the field who can also share their experiences with us, students. Finally, the most important success metric of any boot camp is landing a job. I am still learning, however, I am already working with clients as a freelancer. Couldn’t be any happier with my choice!
    • Akiko • UX designer • Graduate
      I had a very difficult time choosing the right BootCamp for myself. It took more than a half year to figure it out, including dropping off from one Bootcamp after signing up. When I googled, there were too many options and different opinions. Since I was a total beginner, I didn't know "what I know and what I don't know". The only thing I knew was I wanted to be a UX designer and needed someone to guide me during the journey, but I was not sure which is the right way to go. After months of exploration, I decided to join Mento design academy and I'm very grateful and proud of my decision.

Here, I'd like to share 3 reasons why I found joining Mento so valuable.

(1) The community is just the right size and the atmosphere is very supportive and welcoming. You can connect with amazing people from all over the world via slack, online events, and online study group sessions. Thanks to this warm community, I've never felt alone since the beginning and the feeling of supporting each other with fellow students motivates me always.

(2) The mentors are experienced, human, and supportive. The weekly 1on1 call helps the students ask questions, receive feedback, and be guided in the right direction. Students also can get support on slack besides the call. Personally, I appreciate my mentor always cares not only about my progress on the curriculum but also about my full-time job and mental health state. I tend to be frustrated with myself when I could not handle assignments as I planned but my mentor always encourages and guides me. What I like about Mento is its self-paced and the mentor helps us to keep on track while adjusting the journey in our real-life situations.

(3) The curriculum is very practical and fresh. What I mean by "fresh" is that the contents of the curriculum are made by our mentors. So, the contents get updated based on students' feedback, and the mentor shares additional materials based on students' needs. I'm very thankful that the mentors always listen to us and stay open to feedback. The learning experience has continuously improved day by day.

Last but not least, The key factor in my decision to join Mento was the free call before signing up. I was very moved by the passion and thoughts behind the Bootcamp and I could not stop signing up after the call. If you are still in a doubt, I highly recommend you book a call!