Ithakai is a 12-week, part-time user experience design course in Irvine, California. Students learn through real-world examples, case studies, presentations, group discussions, and by building portfolio pieces every week. The course is suitable for both beginners and experienced developers or designers who want to expand their skillset.
Recent ITHAKAI Reviews: Rating 4.89
UX Design Intensive Program (in-person)
This course introduces processes, techniques, and tools used by today’s leading agencies and designers to define world-class user experience for digital products and services. Through collaborative and hands-on activities, students learn how to effectively gather business and customer insights, frame design goals, ideate to innovate, and communicate design solutions through various documentation.
- Minimum Skill Level
- No prior experience required.
- Prep Work
- Bring your laptop.
UX Design Intensive Program (online)
9 reviews sorted by:
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
It was an amazing experience for me. It was my first time studying "UX Design", coming into the course with only basic design knowledges. Starting an intensive course in a field I am new to was scary in the beginning, but instructors' kind instructions and family like vibe of the course gave me a good opportunity to fully explore my interest and ability in UX. Even though I can't guarantee future students that they will fully understand UX design after this course, as UX design is a large subject and should be taken as a lifelong education, I can confidently say that this course would be a great gateway into your next venture in design fields. You will gain an overviewing Insight of UX design and have a complete knowledge of its basic components.
I chose Ithakai for numerous reasons. 1. It was in person. I had tried doing some online bootcamps like CareerFoundry and Bloc but found that it was difficult to maintain motivation and I needed that person-to-person contact. 2. It was part-time. Classes were only twice a week for 2 hr sessions. You don't have to completely uproot your life in order to change careers. 3. It was one of the more affordable in-person bootcamps (compared to General Assembly, for example, which is $13,500 for a full-time immersive).
The way that this class works is that you pick a project to work on throughout the 12 weeks to take through the entire UX process. It can be anything of your choice -- a passion project, pro-bono, work-related, etc.
- The program is well organized. Each class is a different topic and with the small size of the class, you get the attention you need to make sure you're understanding all the material
- The instructors are great and really accomodating. At the end of each class, they ask if they could have improved in any way or if you'd like to take more time on a topic.
- They also help you practice your soft skills for UX design such as presenting, team work, communication, etc.
- Since it is part-time and the classes are short, it can feel like you're barely scraping the barrel when it comes to learning all the new concepts.
That being said, I landed a UX internship shortly after the bootcamp (although it wasn't easy) which eventually turned into full-time employment as a Junior UX designer at an established company. I’m very happy at it (so far) and give my thanks to Ithakai for helping me start my UX career!
I really enjoy the UX research program at ITHAKAI. Here is my overall experience:
1. Small Class Size: My instructors are able to provide each student with more individual attention.
2. Project Based Learning: We actually work on the professional UX projects to solve users' challenge.
3. Reasonable Tuition: Compared with other UX programs in SoCal, their class schedule, tuition and payment options are definitely more reasonable and flexible.
4. Perfect location for students in OC: The most of UX classes are usually based in Downtown LA. Since I'm working full-time in Orange county, it's really hard for me to take classes in Downtown LA. The location of ITHAKAI is perfect for my classmates and me. We don't need to worry about the traffic and work schedule.
5. Career Connections: ITHAKAI also has great connections with UX and startup communities in SoCal. They are always available to help you if you need to any career advice."
I'm very thankful for the bootcamp, as I landed a UX internship in Downtown LA shortly after, and I'm ecstatic over how much the bootcamp has helped me move beyond getting just my foot in the door. I am able to do far more than many of the other interns who went to other schools can do, and I have no hesitation in saying so. ITHAKAI has done wonders and I can only take pride in being a part of the early days that gave me such a leg up.
I loved every bit of this class . The curriculum was fabulousy designed to understand each aspect of the UX process. The hands -on in class activity was amazing .It helped me use the current technologies and apply them to build my own portfolio . The presentations of my portfolio helped me prepare for real life interview settings . The feed back from all the instructors was very valuable.
I enjoyed taking this class and learning all the aspects to UX/UI Design. They deep dive into each aspect of the UX/UI Design process and how it works and why it needs to be done. Class time is spent on working on current technology needed for the profession and the instructors are very knowledgable of the profession and how each piece works together to create a beautiful presentation.
I loved doing the hands-on in-class work. I believed thinking on my feet to complete the assignment under time constraints really challenged to learn a lot. I felt comfortable asking questions. Everyone was great! I felt very comfortable asking questions and doing the presentations. I received very valuable feedback.
I have been working in the IT industry for 5 years. I had the title of a developer, but also adopted design in my job responsibilites. I came to Ithakai to get more formal training about UX with the goal to transition my career to soley design.
The curriculum that was taught was straightforward and you can learn a lot and build a good portfolio piece if you put in the hard work. The instructors really worked with everyone to make sure the material was understood. They really seem to care about everyone's success.
I listened to the instructor's advice about not settling for anything less than my worth. That advice, along with not settling for certain positions that aren't the best fit, was advice that was eye opening to me. I will carry that information throughout my career.
Thank you so much!