For an updated version of this report, check out the 2015 Coding Bootcamp Market Size Study.
Course Report is pleased to present the first in-depth, empirical study to back up a fact that we all sensed was true: the coding bootcamp industry is booming! In 2014, we estimate that bootcamps will graduate one student for every eight computer science graduates.
Course Report polled every full-time, US bootcamp with courses in web and mobile development, gathering statistics on 2013 graduates and projected 2014 graduation rates. Our response rate was hugely impressive: 95% of schools responded. As such, we consider this the most comprehensive study done to date. A few of the interesting highlights we found were:
- In 2014, the bootcamp market will grow by 2.8x, to an estimated 5,987 graduates in 2014, up from 2,178 in 2013.
- As a point of comparison, we estimate that there were 48,000 undergraduate computer science graduates from accredited US universities in 2013.
- Average tuition price of qualifying courses is $9,900, with an average program length of 10.4 weeks.
- We estimate that tuition revenue from qualifying US schools will be $59mm in 2014.
- Ruby is the most common teaching language, used in 57% of courses.
Check out the infographic below or read the full report as a PDF, which includes additional data and details on our methodology.
As the bootcamp industry expands, students can rest assured that Course Report will add new schools to the directory and continue to post interviews with graduates, founders, and instructors.