zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (74) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (23) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Python, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

Java, AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Tolani Ibikunle  User Photo
    Tolani Ibikunle Verified via LinkedIn

Zip Code Wilimington was an amazing experience for me. The program gave me a chance to reinvent myself. I did not have any previous coding experience before the bootcamp, infact my background was in professional soccer and I was able to successfully land a job. The environemnt at Zip Code is very conducive for learning, you are able to be your true self and you become a family. The teachers, mentors and all of the students want you to do well and are willing to help you whenver you need it. I would recommend Zip Code to anyone who loves problem solving and has the willingness to learn regardless of your current career or background.

• Awesome
    - 4/17/2017
    Albert Luis Collazo  User Photo
    Albert Luis Collazo • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to go to a place that allowed me to jump right in and code all day every day. It was intense and stressfull at times, but worth every minute. Putting in the hard work pays off. You won't find another place that allows you to learn so much and have experience in such a short amount of time.

• A Parent  User Photo
    A Parent • Sr. Manager Verified via LinkedIn

I am a parent of a ZIPCODE Wilmington student who is starting the final month of the 3 month program.   Once a software engineer myself I can see the transformation my son is going through and the excitement he exudes on a daily basis.   We talk extensively on his in-school experiences at length almost daily and there is no doubt in my mind that he will be successful after graduation.   What zipcode is teaching them goes beyond what a normal four year curriculum would provide and in a shorter time frame, truly amazing.    ZIPCODE Wilmington is a life altering experience and I am truly thankful for all those involved that makes this happen.   Thanks and keep up the good work.

- 3/1/2017
    Bill Mattern  User Photo
    Bill Mattern • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been working full time for the last 5 years.  I was concerned that I would not be able to keep up with the quick pace of a bootcamp.

Every day has been engaging and challenging, but the instructors have always found a way to focus on the important concepts and give every student the attention they need to grasp those concepts.

I am very happy with my decision to join this bootcamp.  I am not able to rate the job assistance aspect yet, but I will update this review later.

• Loving it!
    - 3/1/2017
    Marwa  User Photo
    Marwa • Student Verified via GitHub

DISCLAIMER: this review will be updated in 2 months' time.

To the point: 8 weeks in and I've loved to hate every week. A large number of Zip code alumni live and work in Wilmington DE. From day one, students are aware that Zip code's placement statistics are not mythical. Each day at least 5 unique alumni are in the building mentoring current students. Each week, we get at leat 3 hourlong talks from senior devs at Zip code's hiring partners. One of the hiring partners actually conducts lessons each Friday where they teach us some interesting part their technology stack.

• Heron Ziegel  User Photo
    Heron Ziegel • IT Data Analyst, Assistant Vice President • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

In the midst of applying to thousands of dead-end jobs, a friend of mine mentioned a nonprofit coding bootcamp. I wasn't thrilled about the idea (Programming? I'm no good at that!), but I was desperate for work. One month later my entire life was upside down and backwards. Zip Code was that push I always needed to get ahead. The teachers and staff are incredibly dedicated to helping us grow as students and employees, from resume building to cutting edge technology to the much needed emotional support. And the students are all equally dedicated to learning.

But perhaps the most impressive thing about the program is the networking opportunity. Hiring managers and executives from Fortune 500 companies come to Zip Code to give morning lectures, attend networking events, and even stay to help us with our projects. At the end of the program they conduct first round interviews in house, right inside our own classroom, and everyone gets a chance to shine.

Two weeks after I graduated I signed the paperwork for my first ever job in IT, earning more money than either of my parents at more than double my previous salary. I love the company and my team, and am finding opportunities each day to advance my career. In just three months I went from starving artist to valued computer scientist. For anyone who needs a direction, a change of pace or just that final push, I strongly encourage you to apply. These could become the most important three months of your life.

• Michael Carroll  User Photo
    Michael Carroll • Applications Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Zip Code Wilmington developed, and continually improves their curriculum by talking with companies throughout the area to find out what their exact needs are.  What these companies need is someone who knows the fundamentals of object-oriented programming, can implement those fundamentals in a programming language (Zip Code teaches Java), understands clean coding principles, is eager to learn, excited about technology and is a problem solver.  If you are eager to learn, excited about what technology can do and a problem solver, Zip Code gives you the rest of the pieces of the puzzle and helps you put the puzzle together enough to be able to figure out the rest and sends you on your way.

There is no substitute for hard work, and there is no such thing as an overnight success.  What Zip Code does is find people that have the ability within themselves already but just need a little direction to unlock their potential and matches them up with employers that want to hire these exact type of people.  Although, I should add..."a little direction" is an understatement.  Zip Code arms you with the highest quality of software development knowledge to become the best possble developer you can be. Your future success from this point is a byproduct of your attitude and hard work.  The 12 weeks of bootcamp is just the beginning of a long road.  If this is the direction you know you want to go, Zip Code will put you on the correct path.  As a former student I’m thankful everyday, because I certainly know I would not be able to find that path so quickly by myself, and feel the same confidence as I started my journey as a software developer.

• Tyrell's Review
    - 1/19/2017
    Tyrell Hoxter  User Photo
    Tyrell Hoxter • Javascript/typescript/angular developer at comcast • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    My experience with zipcode was tough but beyond worth it. Its really a family in the long run and i owe them for the opportunity to shine. You cant go wrong choosing them.
    - 9/28/2021
    Aidan Farhi • Software Engineer • Graduate
    If you are willing to put in 3 months of hands-on and highly intense work, this is the program for you. As a husband, and a father of two children, I needed the best possible opportunity. Zip Code Wilmington provided that oppurtunity.

The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable, patient, easy to communicate with, and willing to help. The Professional Development and Career Coaching are just as valuable as the Sofware Engineering skills you will develop.

The only thing I would change about the curriculum:
    - More end-to-end Data Pipeline projects.
    - More hands-on labs/projects using AWS.

Again, if you are willing to put in the time and energy, Zip Code will do its hardest to give you a shot at landing a job in the tech field. They don't get you jobs. They prepare YOU to get a job.

I received and accepted a job offer on the last day of the program for more money than I've ever made in my life!

Advice for preparing (3-6 months before you start):

For both Java and Data Engineering:
    - LeetCode (paid version): at least one problem a day.
    - Get familiar with AWS (Amazon Web Services).

Java Program:
    - Invest in and complete a Java course prior to starting on a learning platform like Udemy. Here is one I'm currently taking: https://www.udemy.com/course/java-se-programming/.
    - Get comfortable with JavaScript and Web Development concepts (Youtube, Google).

Data Engineering Program:
    - Get comfortable with Python and SQL (Find courses on Udemy).
    - Get a high-level understanding of Data Engineering concepts like Data Pipelines, Data Storage, EDA, and ETL (Youtube, Medium, Google).
  • Graduate
    - 9/18/2021
    Dee • Graduate
    Prior to enrolling in Zip Code Wilmington, I was unsure about how successful I would be at transitioning into a career in tech. I have a background in neuroscience, research, psychology and education. I had been endlessly searching for a suitable job to which I could adapt all my skills. Zip Code not only provided a welcoming environment for me, as a student, but it also provided me with the professional knowledge and confidence to be able to market myself as a software developer while integrating all my past experience. The work is challenging, the first few weeks seem endless but consistent effort is a key asset, along with being willing to reach out to peers and staff for help. By the end of the program, I was offered multiple opportunities to interview with a number of reputable companies.  It was a life-changing experience to say the least. Although 12 weeks is a short time to be able to build an elaborate full stack portfolio, it was enough to get my foot in the door and springboard into a career in technology.
  • Data Engineer
    - 9/10/2021
    Wes
    The course is intense but well worth it!  You will spend 80+ hours a week learning and working with code.  The teachers are great and they will challenge you.  The professional development is unmatched and the staff prepares you each step of the way for a career in tech.  Be prepared to learn.
  • The place to be!
    - 2/3/2021
    Hillary • Graduate
    Zip Code was a great experience. It was tough- definitely a bootcamp with long hours, but the quality of students and staff is incredible. It is not only a high quality education, but there is genuine care shown by all. I felt like I wasn't learning anything (or enough) because it was difficult, but once interview week rolled around with Zip Code's business partners, I realized a lot of things had really clicked! You'll feel inundated with information, but stuff is sticking! One example of the fantastic technical prep is Spring Boot: we gained a great foundation in using this tool, which is a definite plus for an entry level coder. Something else that sets Zip Code apart is its focus on professional development. It's not just about crushing technical questions/white boarding, but it's also about knowing how to carry yourself, work on a team, and do well on the behavioral aspect of interviews. A great investment of money and 3 months of time. If you're ready to apply yourself for a big life change, this is where it's at!