uc-san-diego-extension-boot-camps-logo

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps

San Diego

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, and a 24-week, part-time data science and cybersecurity courses at the University City Center in San Diego. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Java, jQuery, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git. The data science curriculum includes programming in Excel, fundamental statistics, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau and more. The cybersecurity course provides hands-on training in IT networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, virtual tech panels, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Upon program completion, students will receive an Award of Completion from UC San Diego Extension and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or data science, or have skills applicable to cybersecurity certifications.

UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (29) reviews for UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationSan Diego
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationSan Diego
    - This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationSan Diego
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationSan Diego
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC San Diego Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.

3 Scholarships

• $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (San Diego)
    • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time (San Diego)
  • $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (San Diego)
  • $500 UC San Diego Extension Boot Camps Scholarship

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (San Diego)

• Great bootcamp
    - 5/7/2019
    Brian • Graduate

Our instructor, Travis, did a great job getting us prepared for a job in web development.  I enjoyed the class and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get into this career.

Wednesday, May 08 2019
    Amazing, Brian! We're glad to hear you enjoyed the program and our instructional support. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review!
  • Courtney Tucker  User Photo
    Courtney Tucker • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
     I decided to participate in this Bootcamp because web development has always been a passion of mine. I have been self-taught for years, but there are some things that are better learned in an environment like this. The best part of this experience has been the collaboration between the students and the instructor and the TA's. My advice to anyone considering taking this course would be to do your due diligence before starting the course. Have some coding experience under your belt. Don't go into this cold.
    Friday, Mar 20 2020
    Way to go, Courtney! We're thrilled you decided to follow your passion and chose our program to learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team as well as your classmates. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best as you move forward.
  • Great Exepreince
    - 8/9/2019
    Luke Graham  User Photo
    Luke Graham • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Challenging and fast paced.  I feel accomplished after completion.  Great teachers and TAs who were very supportive.  I appreciated alternating teachers with a different class every other Saturday to broaden our perspective on the material

Friday, Aug 09 2019
    Amazing, Luke! We're thrilled you benefited from the support of our instructional team and felt proud of your accomplishments upon successfully completing the program. Congratulations on graduating and all the best in your coding endeavors!
  • Rami Wehbe  User Photo
    Rami Wehbe • Instrcutional Assistant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hello Everybody,

Its never too late to change! A very brief period can have a huge impact on your futures. Trilogy is offering an amazing opportunity to enable our generation to adapt to the job market evolution. For me, and after six months only, I can confidently say "I am a full stack web developer", where I used to say "I don't know anything about web design".

Catch the train! And don't stay hanging to drain ...

Friday, May 24 2019
    Thank you for your review, Rami! We're happy to hear our program had a significant impact and that you were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in your future endeavors!
  • Leeland Clenista  User Photo
    Leeland Clenista • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hello,

My name is Leeland and I am a graduate of the April 2018 cohort for the part time full stack flex program. This program prepared me technically and mentally for my career jump from a restaurant manager to a software engineer. I had no prior experience with coding and I was taught the necessary tools in order to apply to developer positions. The curriculum is top notch and involves a modern tech stack. They go through the MERN stack and there are multiple full stack applications that are built throughout the program. It is crazy to believe that I went from creating a static html page to buidling a React app. The best part about the program is how invested the instructional team are to your success. My instructor prepared us with knowledge and best practices that will be relevant in our job hunt. The TAs are also very knowlegeable and willing to help when you get stuck (Trust me, I got stuck a lot). I believe that those who continue grinding out and work hard will succeed in this program. I had no relevant experience, but I was able to land a job a little over halfway through the boot camp. The instructional team helped me by asking mock interview questions as well as white board questions. It is great that we learn modern technologies, but the difference with this program is that they teach you how to learn and solve problems with code. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teacha man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." could never be so true! I would highly recommend this program to anyone trying to make a career switch!

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Thank you for your review, Leeland! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed the course curriculum and found our entire instructional team to be so knowledgeable. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success in all your future endeavors.
  • Highly Recommended
    - 11/13/2017
    Novia Lim  User Photo
    Novia Lim • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A well designed and challenging program. Be prepared to work really hard if you want to maximise your investment and you will not be disappointed. I have learned so much in these 24 weeks compared to trying to learn coding on my own. The level of support that I've gotten from my cohort and teaching staff is top notch.

All 3 projects that I've developed during the course are ready to be shown to employers by the end of the program. You will get to learn from scratch to building industry ready full stack projects that will value-add to your portfolio.

Coming from an IT background with around 10 years of data analytics experience, I've never worked as a developer professionally but always wanted to pursue a career in coding. I've landed myself a full-time position as a front-end web developer one month after graduation and this will not be possible without this excellent course.

I'll take the course again in a heartbeat!!! Keep up the good job!!

Tuesday, Nov 14 2017
    Congratulations on your new position as a front-end web developer, Novia! We're glad that you enjoyed your experience with our program. We love hearing that our curriculum, instructors, and TAs helped you to learn many valuable web development skills and that you were able to add value to your portfolio with the projects you completed in this course.

We hope you're proud of all the hard work you put into this program. We're cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Joseph "Goose" Aranez  User Photo
    Joseph "Goose" Aranez • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello! my name is Goose and I'm a recent graduate from UCSD extension's coding bootcamp  last September 2017. My focus was to learn and challenge my self to become a full stack engineer.  The bootcamp provided me with all the tools and knowledge that I needed to know to achieve my goal of becoming a full stack engineer.  Coming from a CS background with some techincal  profesional experiences in software development, I  still learned tons of professional used technologies and challenged me to think differently.  I tried almost everything to learn how to be a full stack, from online youtube videos, books, udemy classes but I felt that I was copying code instead of learning how to use the concepts.  UCSD extension's coding bootcamp forced me to not only know the syntax and technology but also the proper use of it through homework challenges and projects.  For me my favorite are the projects that we had to start from scratch.  Rather than just copying sample codes, we had to start from ground zero to a working MVP web application. They also thought us how to research and think differently in terms of Computer Science in what algorithm to use and smarter solutions to a problem.  UCSD coding bootcamp also offered career help.  From one on one practice interviews, whiteboarding, up to job search and advice.  When I had trouble finding a job and being intimidated with job descriptions, the career councilor helped me alot from resume revamp , accepting an offer, up to negotiating a pay.  I am now starting a full stack career this November with an awesome starting pay.  Thanks again UCSD extension coding bootcamp.  I hope someday I can be a TA or instructor with my professional experience.

Friday, Nov 10 2017
    Hi Goose,

Congratulations on beginning a new career as a full stack web developer! We're thrilled to hear that you learned so many valuable skills, and had an overall positive experience with this course.

We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of our career services during the program, and we commend you for all of the hard work you put into completing this course. We hope you're proud of all that you have accomplished, we're wishing you continued success as you move forward in your career.
  • Awesome Course
    - 8/8/2017
    Will Hansen  User Photo
    Will Hansen • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I got a ton out of this course, I'll try to highlight some of the best and worst things.

Pros:

1. Top tier instructors. These guys know their stuff and are always extremely helpful. They even began to take pride in us and our coding towards the end lol.

2. TA's have your back. I remember before the class started someone asked something like "how patient are you guys if I can't learn fast enough?" a TA replied "I can stare at a wall for 12 hours and not get bored". This is true.

3. The career support throughout the class is optional, but you'd have to be insane not to opt in. They will teach you skills that will help your career. Even if you aren't looking for a job, you need to take advantage of this knowledge and support. You don't need to wait until the end of the course to start testing your career skills. I was receiving job offers before the class was even over. If you feel ready, tell your career instructor and they will happily point you in the right direction.

4. The class content was amazing. They don't just teach you content, they train you to use your resources to be able to teach yourself. In my opionion this is what being a developer is all about.

5. Academic support. There is an entire group of people dedicated to helping you if you ever start to feel behind, all you have to do is ask. I never took advantage of this perk but I know a few people who got private tutoring sessions.

Cons:

1. The cost. This isn't a cheap course. I was able to justify the cost by thinking of the salary potential. I got a promotion at my work as a result of this course. Because of this I didn't take advantage of the post-course job assistance.

2. The time. You can't get the benefits without effort. You need to dedicate not only time but also a ton of frustrated learning hours. Hang in there.

If you have the time, money, and dedication, this course will teach you skills that you can use for the rest of your career. You get out what you put in so jump in with both feet and be ready to work hard.

Friday, Aug 11 2017
    Congratulations on your promotion, Will! Thank you for providing this detailed review, you make several good points about our program, that are helpful to future students. We’re so glad that you had such a positive experience with this course.

We select our instructors and TAs carefully, to ensure that our students receive the support and attention they require in order to be successful in this program, so it’s excellent to hear that our team is working hard to meet our students’ needs.

We’re thrilled that you benefited from our career services, and enjoyed the curriculum. This course does cover a wide range of topics in a short time period, so we do provide student support in the form of tutoring, office hours, and more, because we strive to provide all of our students with every opportunity for success.

As you mention, this program does require a commitment to learning the material, and may require many hours of studying and practice outside of class. We hope you’re proud of all of the hard work you put into completing this program. We wish you continued success moving forward.

• Minhtuyen Mai  User Photo
    Minhtuyen Mai • Web, Social Media, Graphics, Outreach Specialist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a nerd, I've always wanted to learn how to code seriously. There are many coding boot camps in San Diego, but I find this one to be the right price point and a bit cheaper than most (about 2k-3k). It's also part-time during the evening so it fits my busy schedule.

I've already had a Bachelor's and Master's degree in education policy, so I wanted coding to add to my skill set and not just a second Bachelor's in Computer Science.
    The boot camp was a great experience. They really found instructors and TAs who are masters at their coding and software development craft. The most important thing is that there were really patient with me while I attempt to learn some of the basics of HTML/CSS/Javascript. They didn't make me feel stupid at all!

I was also able to find employment due to this program. I can do things like tinker with a github account and know what the heck folks are saying on StackOverflow and other coding help forums.

I also wrote more about my experience here: https://medium.com/@minhtuyen/ucsd-coding-boot-camp-projects-63e3127d4f88

Monday, Aug 07 2017
    Hi Minhtuyen,

Thank you so much for sharing your review, and congratulations on your new employment! It’s wonderful that you had such a positive experience with this program and that the price point, schedule, and curriculum filled your needs.  Our instructors and TAs work hard to support our students as they take on the challenges of this program, so it's wonderful that they provided you with the help you needed in order to be successful in the course.

We loved reading more about your experience on Medium. We’re thrilled to that you have formed lasting connections with students from your cohort, and that you are continuing to work together after the program. We hope you're proud of all of the hard work you put into completing this course, we wish you nothing but the best moving forward.

• Greg Lee Review
    - 8/1/2017
    Gregory Lee  User Photo
    Gregory Lee • Student Verified via GitHub

I thought the bootcamp was overall good. I feel that I learned a lot, and in fact I am going to be TAing for the next session. My only piece of feedback, and something I plan on bringing to my session, is that there should be a little more stratified challenges. I get that it is difficult to cater to each individual student's skill set, however, I think it would be beneficial to the students on both ends of the spectrum to have a little bit of bonus material, to challenge the students who are excelling and to reinforce concepts for students who are struggling.

Wednesday, Aug 02 2017
    Congratulations on becoming a boot camp TA, Gregory! We’re glad that you learned a lot from this program, and we really appreciate your feedback. We realize that not all students learn the course material at the same pace, so we’re thrilled to have you join our staff with your first-hand experience of the student perspective.  We can’t wait to see what you will bring to our program.
  • Jaycee Bagtas • Student
    I am about half way through my boot camp and have learned so much but nearly not anywhere near all of what we've been taught. The boot camp is really fast so my advice is to really commit to it so that you can take full advantage of your time in school. Go over each and every activity a couple of times after class in between trying to soak up all of the  resources the instructor and teaching aids give you.

At this point, our instructor has been encouraging us to start applying for jobs and he's been taking the time to do mock interviews with us which is an awesome value added resource in and of itself. As much as I'd love to start applying, I am still trying to catch up with what we're learning so like I mentioned above, you really have to be committed - because even if you are, the content may or may not come easy for everyone. If it does, great. If you're like me where it takes a bit to sink it, you're going to have to really put in the time.
    Wednesday, Mar 11 2020
    Thank you for sharing your current program experience, Jaycee! We're happy to hear you're enjoying the boot camp and benefiting from our career support.

As you mentioned, this program is fast-paced and challenging, and it requires a lot of time and dedication. You've given great advice for prospective candidates—efficiently managing your time and consistently reviewing the material can definitely help you stay ahead.

Congratulations on all your hard work thus far, we're rooting you on as you continue towards completing the course!
  • Great Course
    - 5/31/2019
    Alan Cecil • Graduate

I am a 2018 graduate of the UC San Diego Extension Data Science and Visualization Bootcamp. This course is great if you want to jumpstart a career in programming or just expand your skillset. The curriculum is well designed and updated regularly to keep up with the current technologies used in the industry. The bootcamp is fast paced and could be difficult to keep up with if you are completely new to programming. Although not necessary,  I would recommend taking a little time to learn some coding fundamentals before starting the course. You'll need 20 hours a week to study at minimum. The more you put into it the more you’ll get out. Everyone on the staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. The structure of the class and the opportunity to work with other students on group projects were invaluable to my coding experience.

Monday, Jun 03 2019
    Thanks so much, Alan! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and found the group projects to be invaluable in your learning experience. We also agree that the more you put into the program, the more you’ll get out. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp and best of luck moving forward!
  • Kevin Lee • Web Developer & Instructional Assistant • Graduate

I've taken this course from May - November 2018 part-time, and I must say, it has changed my life completely. From barely having much coding knowledge, this bootcamp has taught me ins and outs of becoming a web developer and provided clear instructions and career services to achieve my goals. I've also gotten a chance to work as a TA for this bootcamp, and I realized that this course constantly changes to provide students with the most current technologies and tools, which is awesome! If you are looking for a career change to tech, or trying to improve on web development knowledge, this course is definitely a great choice.

Friday, May 31 2019
    Way to go, Kevin! Our team is passionate about enabling student success, so we're thrilled to hear our program had such a profound impact. We're glad you were able to learn full-stack skills and appreciate you returning to TA for us. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review!