turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.78

all (164) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (54) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Jason Pilz  User Photo
    Jason Pilz • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After the course of many career changes, and once I decided to pursue programming, I began spending a fair amount of time researching coding programs. From what I found, Turing seemed to be the longest, and most positively-reviewed of the 'bootcamps'. I knew I did not want to spend only 2-3 months to try to learn a new career, especially something as deep as software development. So I took a chance on Turing, which was (for me) the far more expensive and difficult path. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went 'all-in' when committing to the Turing program, and what I found was that they did the same to make you the best software developer possible. I learned more in 7 months than I though possible. The staff and instructors are top-notch, and the community is incredibly strong. 2 months after graduation I began my first software position and have been highly fulfilled ever since. I feel Turing exceeded my expectations in every way for preparing me in the best career change I have ever made.

• Adam Hundley  User Photo
    Adam Hundley • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The decision to take a break from life to spend a lot of money to go back to school was hard but MORE than worth it. Turing was the hardest 7 months of my life. There is no getting around the fact that it is a HUGE commitment and sacrifice, but it is truly life altering. I went from having zero career direction to a lifelong career with the ability to provide for my family. The education I recieved at Turing is invaluable and I recommend it to ANYONE willing to sacrifice 7 months of their life. 7 months is NOTHING compared to the rest of your life.

• Nicholas Dorans  User Photo
    Nicholas Dorans • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Going through Turing was one of the most challenging yet deeply satisfying things I've ever done. I had no background in tech and didn't even know what the command line was before attending Turing, and that did not matter at all. They teach you all the tools you'll need to succeed is this ever changing field of software development. In under two years from me starting the program, I am making more money than I ever did before, living in a new city that I never thought I would, and I have a job where I learn new things everyday. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to get into tech. No prerequisites are required, except raw curiousity in how things work and pure grit. I would be willing to talk to anyone interested in the program personally if you'd like to email me at nicky_bobby@icloud.com . Thanks and hopefully this was helpful!!

• Bao N  User Photo
    Bao N • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Okay, to the point.

1. Turing is a great school that cares about you as a developer. They will not pass you automatically and they will not make it easy. This is not about reputation, but simply that you make it out of the program as a competent junior engineer who will excel at their new job.

2. They help foster an environment that is inclusive and helps you to develop the skills necessary to be a good engineer. Public speaking, interviewing, pair programming, and solving problems are all covered here. These are arguably the best skills that will get you a job.

3. Jeff Casimir is pretty straight shooting when it comes to voicing his opinion on things in the tech industry and also when it comes to job hunting. Turing students really do come out of the program with some amazing skills, but it is a tough job market out there and you'll need to hustle in order to find a job. Turing does what it can, by forcing you to build a portfolio, a resume, and to come up with a job hunting plan in order to graduate, but jobs won't fall into your lap.

4. The curriculum is great. It teaches you how to learn new things quickly and how to implement new ideas. The fact that the backend program teaches you Ruby on Rails doesn't matter. I got a job that uses a Java/Groovy backend and a JS/ React frontend. The fact that 80% of the code I wrote during the program was in Ruby, didn't deter me in any way with finding a job in a different tech stack.

5. But can't I teach myself? Sure you can. The whole curriculum is available to you if you do a google search. There are tons of learning resources out there, but the program puts you alongside dedicated, smart, and driven individuals who will help you to push further and faster than you could learn on your own. Also, you can go to https://cirr.org/data where many coding schools have had their job placement results published. Turing students consistently get higher salary offers than most programs and I think that is a reflection on the skills demonstrated by its graduates.

• Ryan Workman  User Photo
    Ryan Workman • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It's been nearly a year since I graduated from Turing and began working as a professional software developer and not a day goes by without me realizing how happy I am for taking the leap and enrolling in Turing.

Before joining Turing, I graduated from college with a degree in Journalism and spent five years as a news producer. Searching for something more fulfilling and challenging, I sought out information on dev bootcamps in the area. After speaking to the CTO of Trelora (a Denver-based real estate company), the choice to enroll in Turing became clear. He echoed the same sentiments I heard from small businesses around the metro area, "Turing produces the best, most well-rounded developers."

After just the first month in Turing, I knew that I had finally found my calling. It was the first place that I felt accepted for who I am and software development (which I had some experience with when I was in high school) became my passion.

I spent seven months working through all four modules, continually being pushed to produce some of the coolest things I could ever imagine. Furthermore, beyond the technical aspect, Turing opened my eyes to some of the real-world struggles within the industry and gave me the tools to combat those injustices in the workplace.

I am now a software developer for Dish Network creating internal applications for our thousands of sales agents around the world. If, just 18 months ago, someone told me that I would be doing this for a living, I would have never believed them. Turing's fantastic instructors and difficult curriculum is changing the lives of hundreds of people everyday, while diversifying the technical field with talented, driven individuals.

• Calaway  User Photo
    Calaway • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm seven months into my first job outside of Turing, and I can tell you it's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

This CodeNewbie podcast interview with Turing's founder, Jeff Casimir, is what drew me to the school originally: https://www.codenewbie.org/podcast/the-not-bootcamp. I would highly recommend giving it a listen. Jeff was a tenured educator who started his career teaching with Teach for America before founding one of the very first immersive code schools, Hungry Academy, before the term bootcamp was even applied to them. Hungry Academy had a specific purpose and once that was completed Jeff co-founded G-School (now Galvanize) and then went on to start Turing as a non-profit organization.

Here are just a handful of things that sets Turing apart:

• They are a non-profit organization.
    • The curriculum is exemplary. They keep all the best practices and material from their many years of experience, and then also continue to iterate on it for continual improvement.
    • The community and alumni network is filled with incredible people who are all willing to help one another, be it with mentorship, helping set up a job interview at their work, or even just to meet for coffee and talk shop.
    • They have a great focus on diversity, which the tech industry will benefit greatly from.
    • They teach more than just code; they teach process. When you get to your first job out of Turing you'll know how incredibly important this is. In this industry the hot new programming language or framework changes quickly, but good, solid process is consistent and you'll be able to use it wherever you end up.
  • Chris Concannon  User Photo
    Chris Concannon • Project Associate - Software Engineering • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think the investment of time and money into Turing is worthwhile, but I was fortunate enough to complete the program without repeating any modules. This isn't true for a huge portion of students. I think that anyone applying to Turing needs to know that, from what I've seen, it is one of the more difficult coding schools out there. They'll throw students in the deep end and let them drown for a while, but help is there when anyone asks. Students struggle together and create a support network for each other. Every single week has at least 50-60 hours of commitment between project work time and class time. It can be more than that during the final week or two of each module. When I say it's hard, I mean that in order to succeed, you need to expect to take a break from everything else in your life.

I also like to mention that although Turing is very transparent about reporting their graduation and placement statistics, their metrics measuring these numbers have changed multiple times in the past couple years. In general, they have declined. For example, when I decided that I would apply to code schools in late 2015, Turing claimed to accept 8-14% of their applicants while placing well over 90% in careers that paid on average more than $80,000/year within 3 months of graduation. They also offered a tuition reimbursement guarantee if you didn't get an offer of at least $65,000/year in the first couple months after graduating. These are written in my notes from code school research, and they came from Turing's website in 2015. Those numbers have continuously declined, both while I was a student and after I graduated. They stopped guaranteeing tuition reimbursement just before I started in May 2016. The code school market is much more competitive now.

I still think Turing is a great life-changing experience. Is it worth the investment? Depends what you must sacrifice to get there. I obviously can't speak for the other coding schools, but Turing has competitors that claim better job placement, better starting salaries, and even competitors that don't make you pay any tuition until your first offer comes along. If you're located in Denver, I believe Turing would be a solid (and probably the best) choice. If you're planning to move in order to attend Turing, I'd weigh more options and look thoroughly at each one.

One additional component worth mentioning is that Turing takes to heart it's mission of developing not just skilled developers, but developers that are aware of social issues and how the web development world is engaged with, or impacts these issues. Everything from the gender wage gap, to accessibility for disabled persons, to examination of workplace stereotypes is covered in school-programmed discussions and activities. I don't know that this element exists at other coding schools. I appreciate what I gained from engagement in these discussions.

• Life Changing
    - 5/18/2017
    Lacey  User Photo
    Lacey • UI/UX Designer and Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Deciding to apply for, and attend Turing School was quite honestly the BEST decision I've ever made not only professionally, but personally. When you attend Turing you receive a top notch education from incredibly passionate instructors and staff, make a group of lifelong friends and mentors, and leave with a supportive network of web developers, and most likely an incredibly fulfilling job and career.

Keep in mind, this program is not for the faint of heart. It's really really hard and there will be a handful times when you question whether or not you can do it and even if you've made the right decision. You'll spend hours sitting at a computer not seeing the light of the day, feeling like you're going to pull your hair out and I'd be lying if I said it gets easier as you get further through the program. It doesn't. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is having a solid skill set of web development and the ability to shift or expand upon your current career.

I graduated from the Front-End Engineering program (as the second cohort) where I gained a strong fundamental knowledge of front-end languages, libraries, and frameworks and accepted a job offer 2 weeks before graduation. And although they needed some adjustments to the curriculum when I attended, they had already started to implement big changes by the time I graduated. Aside from the curriculum, you also receive an invaluable education on soft skills, the impact you can have in the world of technology, and how to be a strong member of a community.

Overall, Turing was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks web development is something they could truly be passionate about, who wants to pivot their career or, like me, expand on the one they already have.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I love my classmates and hope we're friends forever. I got a job that pays better than anyone could reasonably expect and much more importantly that I actually enjoy. I learned a lot during my time at Turing, both technically and about the world.

There were some things I didn't like about Turing. But what can you remove? The worst experiences were the ones that brought me closer together to my cohort and the other students.

The main reason I went for a lengthy face-to-face training was to learn things that wouldn't be in a curriculum or textbook, and to get a leg up in job hunting. I think Turing delivered on both big time. I see others rate the job assistance lower, and certainly it could be better. But I got leads. Good ones. And I feel like I got into the right group of people and we can continue to find each other work for hopefully many years to come.

Turing was an interesting life experience, I like showing up to work now, and I met some great people. Good luck in your journey.

• Taylor • Graduate
    I started at Turing in June 2019. Financial services had been my career up to that point but I really felt like I had maximized my learning in that setting and wanted to solve problems on a larger scale. Just like you are doing now, I looked at reviews for Turing. I was immediately blown away by the positive response. Everyone spoke about the great community, the challenges, and their success stories. For me, I was most excited about the challenge and the opportunity to develop the “grit” Jeff described at our first group meeting. Turing gives you the choice of learning back end or front end, and I wish I had dived deeper into the differences because I think I would have chosen back end given the chance again. However The front end program gave me the opportunity to focus on JavaScript which is the most popular programming language, so I couldn’t go wrong. The program is split into four 6 week modules with the first 2 probably being the most difficult since you are ramping up from scratch. The support from your teammates, mentors, and upper level students is one of the keys at Turing..:all you have to do is ask.

Things to be ready for enrolling at Turing:
    1) high pressure
    2) little free time
    3) small amount of direction which is the Turing way..you learn how to learn

Benefits ranked in my view
    1) grit
    2) friendships-the Turing community truly is amazing
    3) a new career that so far has given me everything I hoped for-work/life balance, great teammates, and  fulfillment

Turing took my life on a completely different course, and I could not be more grateful for the community, education, and experience. Not much else to say except I highly recommend it.

• Scott Ertmer • Front End Instructor • Graduate
    Turing, as a non-profit, is incredibly invested in their students. Their only currency is the reputation of their students, and so they work hard to make sure their students are well equipped to be successful on the job. I chose Turing because of it's commitment to inclusivity and the way that their work supports that mission. If you want to help make the tech industry more inclusive of all humans, Turing is the place for you.

It's been said before, but Turing will not just take your money, and push you through if you aren't ready. The fact that you need to demonstrate proficiency in order to move on to the next section of the curriculum is a huge strength of Turing. I believe this really sets you up to not just graduate but to get and hold a job.
  • Kristen H. • Software Engineer • Graduate

Going to Turing is a serious decision. I would like to preface my review by saying that my experience in Turing was in some ways atypical because it took me longer and not everyone struggled as hard as I did. This is the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. The program took me a full year to complete. It’s hard for me to consolidate a year of my life into a short review but I will try to frame it with things I would have liked to know going into the program.

The program is broken up into four, six-week modules. You can repeat any two modules one time. You can also do something called an audit while you’re in the program where you don’t pay for the module, you attend class but don’t have projects due. I repeated modules 1 & 2 and audited 3. You have to ask about them if you think you need to audit with in the first three weeks of a mod. Repeating mods lets you try the material again, but it’s hard when you have to adjust to a new cohort and adjustments to the curriculum are frequent. Even if you repeat a mod it will not be exactly the same.

Also, as someone who had never really coded before Turing, it was incredibly difficult to learn. I felt like my brain was getting hot-wired every day. I am a slower learner than some people and the incredibly fast pace of Turing was quite a challenge. One of my teachers told us in class that to be successful at Turing you need to be putting in around 70 hours a week. For the duration of Turing, it was my entire life. All of my highs came from my successes in school and my lows came from my failures. I didn’t see my friends or have a social life outside of school. I was on my laptop from the moment I woke up until before I went to bed. Turing enhanced my anxieties. The school now has a full-time counselor on site which I think is a great help. However, l recommend caution to people with learning difficulties and mental health issues as I saw those problems make otherwise bright students struggle harder or take them out of the program altogether.

This program is also a financial commitment. 20,000 dollars was about my yearly income before I started Turing and I also paid another 5,000 to repeat courses. I did a Sallie Mae loan that I had to get a cosigner to take out. Repeating put more financial strain on my husband and I. I talked to Joanne, who recently left, about financial options and she was very kind and helpful. I ended up borrowing extra money from my parents and in-laws to make ends meet but I know that is a privilege that not everyone has. You have to consider how long you won’t have a job to help pay for living expenses including while you are in school and job hunting.

I was fortunate enough to have the financial and emotional support of my family to get through. I also had an amazing mentor and I would recommend anyone who goes through the program to get a mentor. Ask about it; they have a list of former alumni who are available. All of the instructors I had at Turing were combinations of smart, tough and supportive. As someone who struggled, I found that keeping the lines of communication open while I was in their class was extremely important. I had frequent check-ins and meetings and I messaged them often about how I was doing. I also found it important to take poms (5 minute breaks every 25 minutes or so), eat meals, drink water and have a bedtime. This can be especially hard when it seems like a lot of your fellow students are talking about how late they stayed at school, how late they’d stayed up, how early they got up, when the last time they can remember eating or taking a break etc. It is essential that you take care of yourself during the program so you don’t crash and burn.

Graduating is not the end of your journey; you still have to job hunt. The school offers professional development while you're in school and job support after. The job support after graduation or “mod 5” consists of weekly check-ins with Kayt or another job mentor and Robyn who posts job opportunities and will refer you to companies she posts about. This process can take time. While a few lucky people got jobs before they were even done with school for a lot of people it is a multi-month process. For me, it was under three months but for others, it can be longer. The alumni network is invaluable and outreach is so important.

There is no review I could write that could fully prepare anyone for the experience of being in Turing. It is hard, rewarding and like I’ve said, life-changing. For me this risk was high and the rewards were high. The results have been phenomenal, I have roughly tripled my annual income and I have an amazing job with supportive bosses. I would recommend this program with the caveat that it is not for everyone.

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Monday, Dec 09 2019
    Kristen,
    We're really happy it all worked out for you. As you said, there's a lot of sacrifice necessary to get the most out of your time at Turing. The support of friends and loved ones is huge. I'm glad your job is off to a great start and we're excited to see where your career goes from here!

- JC

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 67 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Turing CIRR report here