turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (159) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (54) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Bao N  User Photo
    Bao N • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Okay, to the point.

1. Turing is a great school that cares about you as a developer. They will not pass you automatically and they will not make it easy. This is not about reputation, but simply that you make it out of the program as a competent junior engineer who will excel at their new job.

2. They help foster an environment that is inclusive and helps you to develop the skills necessary to be a good engineer. Public speaking, interviewing, pair programming, and solving problems are all covered here. These are arguably the best skills that will get you a job.

3. Jeff Casimir is pretty straight shooting when it comes to voicing his opinion on things in the tech industry and also when it comes to job hunting. Turing students really do come out of the program with some amazing skills, but it is a tough job market out there and you'll need to hustle in order to find a job. Turing does what it can, by forcing you to build a portfolio, a resume, and to come up with a job hunting plan in order to graduate, but jobs won't fall into your lap.

4. The curriculum is great. It teaches you how to learn new things quickly and how to implement new ideas. The fact that the backend program teaches you Ruby on Rails doesn't matter. I got a job that uses a Java/Groovy backend and a JS/ React frontend. The fact that 80% of the code I wrote during the program was in Ruby, didn't deter me in any way with finding a job in a different tech stack.

5. But can't I teach myself? Sure you can. The whole curriculum is available to you if you do a google search. There are tons of learning resources out there, but the program puts you alongside dedicated, smart, and driven individuals who will help you to push further and faster than you could learn on your own. Also, you can go to https://cirr.org/data where many coding schools have had their job placement results published. Turing students consistently get higher salary offers than most programs and I think that is a reflection on the skills demonstrated by its graduates.

• Ryan Workman  User Photo
    Ryan Workman • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It's been nearly a year since I graduated from Turing and began working as a professional software developer and not a day goes by without me realizing how happy I am for taking the leap and enrolling in Turing.

Before joining Turing, I graduated from college with a degree in Journalism and spent five years as a news producer. Searching for something more fulfilling and challenging, I sought out information on dev bootcamps in the area. After speaking to the CTO of Trelora (a Denver-based real estate company), the choice to enroll in Turing became clear. He echoed the same sentiments I heard from small businesses around the metro area, "Turing produces the best, most well-rounded developers."

After just the first month in Turing, I knew that I had finally found my calling. It was the first place that I felt accepted for who I am and software development (which I had some experience with when I was in high school) became my passion.

I spent seven months working through all four modules, continually being pushed to produce some of the coolest things I could ever imagine. Furthermore, beyond the technical aspect, Turing opened my eyes to some of the real-world struggles within the industry and gave me the tools to combat those injustices in the workplace.

I am now a software developer for Dish Network creating internal applications for our thousands of sales agents around the world. If, just 18 months ago, someone told me that I would be doing this for a living, I would have never believed them. Turing's fantastic instructors and difficult curriculum is changing the lives of hundreds of people everyday, while diversifying the technical field with talented, driven individuals.

• Calaway  User Photo
    Calaway • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm seven months into my first job outside of Turing, and I can tell you it's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

This CodeNewbie podcast interview with Turing's founder, Jeff Casimir, is what drew me to the school originally: https://www.codenewbie.org/podcast/the-not-bootcamp. I would highly recommend giving it a listen. Jeff was a tenured educator who started his career teaching with Teach for America before founding one of the very first immersive code schools, Hungry Academy, before the term bootcamp was even applied to them. Hungry Academy had a specific purpose and once that was completed Jeff co-founded G-School (now Galvanize) and then went on to start Turing as a non-profit organization.

Here are just a handful of things that sets Turing apart:

• They are a non-profit organization.
    • The curriculum is exemplary. They keep all the best practices and material from their many years of experience, and then also continue to iterate on it for continual improvement.
    • The community and alumni network is filled with incredible people who are all willing to help one another, be it with mentorship, helping set up a job interview at their work, or even just to meet for coffee and talk shop.
    • They have a great focus on diversity, which the tech industry will benefit greatly from.
    • They teach more than just code; they teach process. When you get to your first job out of Turing you'll know how incredibly important this is. In this industry the hot new programming language or framework changes quickly, but good, solid process is consistent and you'll be able to use it wherever you end up.
  • Chris Concannon  User Photo
    Chris Concannon • Project Associate - Software Engineering • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think the investment of time and money into Turing is worthwhile, but I was fortunate enough to complete the program without repeating any modules. This isn't true for a huge portion of students. I think that anyone applying to Turing needs to know that, from what I've seen, it is one of the more difficult coding schools out there. They'll throw students in the deep end and let them drown for a while, but help is there when anyone asks. Students struggle together and create a support network for each other. Every single week has at least 50-60 hours of commitment between project work time and class time. It can be more than that during the final week or two of each module. When I say it's hard, I mean that in order to succeed, you need to expect to take a break from everything else in your life.

I also like to mention that although Turing is very transparent about reporting their graduation and placement statistics, their metrics measuring these numbers have changed multiple times in the past couple years. In general, they have declined. For example, when I decided that I would apply to code schools in late 2015, Turing claimed to accept 8-14% of their applicants while placing well over 90% in careers that paid on average more than $80,000/year within 3 months of graduation. They also offered a tuition reimbursement guarantee if you didn't get an offer of at least $65,000/year in the first couple months after graduating. These are written in my notes from code school research, and they came from Turing's website in 2015. Those numbers have continuously declined, both while I was a student and after I graduated. They stopped guaranteeing tuition reimbursement just before I started in May 2016. The code school market is much more competitive now.

I still think Turing is a great life-changing experience. Is it worth the investment? Depends what you must sacrifice to get there. I obviously can't speak for the other coding schools, but Turing has competitors that claim better job placement, better starting salaries, and even competitors that don't make you pay any tuition until your first offer comes along. If you're located in Denver, I believe Turing would be a solid (and probably the best) choice. If you're planning to move in order to attend Turing, I'd weigh more options and look thoroughly at each one.

One additional component worth mentioning is that Turing takes to heart it's mission of developing not just skilled developers, but developers that are aware of social issues and how the web development world is engaged with, or impacts these issues. Everything from the gender wage gap, to accessibility for disabled persons, to examination of workplace stereotypes is covered in school-programmed discussions and activities. I don't know that this element exists at other coding schools. I appreciate what I gained from engagement in these discussions.

• Life Changing
    - 5/18/2017
    Lacey  User Photo
    Lacey • UI/UX Designer and Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Deciding to apply for, and attend Turing School was quite honestly the BEST decision I've ever made not only professionally, but personally. When you attend Turing you receive a top notch education from incredibly passionate instructors and staff, make a group of lifelong friends and mentors, and leave with a supportive network of web developers, and most likely an incredibly fulfilling job and career.

Keep in mind, this program is not for the faint of heart. It's really really hard and there will be a handful times when you question whether or not you can do it and even if you've made the right decision. You'll spend hours sitting at a computer not seeing the light of the day, feeling like you're going to pull your hair out and I'd be lying if I said it gets easier as you get further through the program. It doesn't. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is having a solid skill set of web development and the ability to shift or expand upon your current career.

I graduated from the Front-End Engineering program (as the second cohort) where I gained a strong fundamental knowledge of front-end languages, libraries, and frameworks and accepted a job offer 2 weeks before graduation. And although they needed some adjustments to the curriculum when I attended, they had already started to implement big changes by the time I graduated. Aside from the curriculum, you also receive an invaluable education on soft skills, the impact you can have in the world of technology, and how to be a strong member of a community.

Overall, Turing was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks web development is something they could truly be passionate about, who wants to pivot their career or, like me, expand on the one they already have.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I love my classmates and hope we're friends forever. I got a job that pays better than anyone could reasonably expect and much more importantly that I actually enjoy. I learned a lot during my time at Turing, both technically and about the world.

There were some things I didn't like about Turing. But what can you remove? The worst experiences were the ones that brought me closer together to my cohort and the other students.

The main reason I went for a lengthy face-to-face training was to learn things that wouldn't be in a curriculum or textbook, and to get a leg up in job hunting. I think Turing delivered on both big time. I see others rate the job assistance lower, and certainly it could be better. But I got leads. Good ones. And I feel like I got into the right group of people and we can continue to find each other work for hopefully many years to come.

Turing was an interesting life experience, I like showing up to work now, and I met some great people. Good luck in your journey.

• Kristen H. • Software Engineer • Graduate

Going to Turing is a serious decision. I would like to preface my review by saying that my experience in Turing was in some ways atypical because it took me longer and not everyone struggled as hard as I did. This is the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. The program took me a full year to complete. It’s hard for me to consolidate a year of my life into a short review but I will try to frame it with things I would have liked to know going into the program.

The program is broken up into four, six-week modules. You can repeat any two modules one time. You can also do something called an audit while you’re in the program where you don’t pay for the module, you attend class but don’t have projects due. I repeated modules 1 & 2 and audited 3. You have to ask about them if you think you need to audit with in the first three weeks of a mod. Repeating mods lets you try the material again, but it’s hard when you have to adjust to a new cohort and adjustments to the curriculum are frequent. Even if you repeat a mod it will not be exactly the same.

Also, as someone who had never really coded before Turing, it was incredibly difficult to learn. I felt like my brain was getting hot-wired every day. I am a slower learner than some people and the incredibly fast pace of Turing was quite a challenge. One of my teachers told us in class that to be successful at Turing you need to be putting in around 70 hours a week. For the duration of Turing, it was my entire life. All of my highs came from my successes in school and my lows came from my failures. I didn’t see my friends or have a social life outside of school. I was on my laptop from the moment I woke up until before I went to bed. Turing enhanced my anxieties. The school now has a full-time counselor on site which I think is a great help. However, l recommend caution to people with learning difficulties and mental health issues as I saw those problems make otherwise bright students struggle harder or take them out of the program altogether.

This program is also a financial commitment. 20,000 dollars was about my yearly income before I started Turing and I also paid another 5,000 to repeat courses. I did a Sallie Mae loan that I had to get a cosigner to take out. Repeating put more financial strain on my husband and I. I talked to Joanne, who recently left, about financial options and she was very kind and helpful. I ended up borrowing extra money from my parents and in-laws to make ends meet but I know that is a privilege that not everyone has. You have to consider how long you won’t have a job to help pay for living expenses including while you are in school and job hunting.

I was fortunate enough to have the financial and emotional support of my family to get through. I also had an amazing mentor and I would recommend anyone who goes through the program to get a mentor. Ask about it; they have a list of former alumni who are available. All of the instructors I had at Turing were combinations of smart, tough and supportive. As someone who struggled, I found that keeping the lines of communication open while I was in their class was extremely important. I had frequent check-ins and meetings and I messaged them often about how I was doing. I also found it important to take poms (5 minute breaks every 25 minutes or so), eat meals, drink water and have a bedtime. This can be especially hard when it seems like a lot of your fellow students are talking about how late they stayed at school, how late they’d stayed up, how early they got up, when the last time they can remember eating or taking a break etc. It is essential that you take care of yourself during the program so you don’t crash and burn.

Graduating is not the end of your journey; you still have to job hunt. The school offers professional development while you're in school and job support after. The job support after graduation or “mod 5” consists of weekly check-ins with Kayt or another job mentor and Robyn who posts job opportunities and will refer you to companies she posts about. This process can take time. While a few lucky people got jobs before they were even done with school for a lot of people it is a multi-month process. For me, it was under three months but for others, it can be longer. The alumni network is invaluable and outreach is so important.

There is no review I could write that could fully prepare anyone for the experience of being in Turing. It is hard, rewarding and like I’ve said, life-changing. For me this risk was high and the rewards were high. The results have been phenomenal, I have roughly tripled my annual income and I have an amazing job with supportive bosses. I would recommend this program with the caveat that it is not for everyone.

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Monday, Dec 09 2019
    Kristen,
    We're really happy it all worked out for you. As you said, there's a lot of sacrifice necessary to get the most out of your time at Turing. The support of friends and loved ones is huge. I'm glad your job is off to a great start and we're excited to see where your career goes from here!

- JC
  • No regrets
    - 7/30/2019
    Dan Hutchinson • Software Engineer • Graduate

To say that Attending Turing was the best decision I ever made would be an understatement. Though I’ve just begun my career in tech, the juice was worth the squeeze, so to speak, just for the experience I had while actually attending the Turing School. I made friendships that will last the rest of my life and, perhaps more importantly, found the best version of myself amidst the stress and rigor that characterize this intensive program. I came from a completely non-technical academic background (BA in philosophy, Masters in Humanities) and former careers (small business owner, then public sector employee) so if I made it through Turing successfully, so can you! If this is any indication how much I loved this experience, I have a cohort(class) Turing tattoo, now. If you think you might like coding, sign up for a try coding session and give it a shot; it just might be the best decision you ever make. I know it was for me!

• Software Developer
    - 5/13/2019
    Casey • Graduate

Best move I've made for my career ever. Incredible teaching, great job assistance and connections. You must work very very hard but if you do, you will be completely transformed into a software developer in just 7 months. They provide wonderful support for their students and have a strong sense of their values.

• Kevin Simpson • Front End/JavaScript Developer • Student

I was originally scheduled to join the 1804 Cohort for the Front End Engineering program at Turing in April of 2018. Four days before I was supposed to start at Turing, out of nowhere, my employer at the time informed me that I would be unable to take the leave that I was anticipating to start at Turing as it put me in breach of contract. The staff at Turing was on a week-long leave and were not in the office. I reached out the following morning in a cold panic asking if it was too late to push back to the next cohort, and I was informed within minutes that it would be no problem. All I needed to do was call my lender who was handling my loan and sign a new contract with Turing and I was good-to-go.

I make a point of judging organizations by how well they react when things don't go according to plan, and the first time that happened at Turing, before I had even started attending, they were super-agile and able to adapt quickly to make things work for me. Massive respect to Joanne Liu and Erin Williams on this.

My experience at Turing was that it was probably the most difficult and intense thing I've done in my entire life. I attended from late June of 2018 until early January of 2019 as a part of the 1806 Front End Cohort. I regularly put in between 12 and 14 hours per-day, going from being a relative coding novice to completely confident in my job readiness as a front end engineer. I wrote, erased, and rewrote code challenges. I worked on projects during the daily bus ride from Thornton to Denver. I scrawled JavaScript on the shower door. I ate, drank, and slept it, and it was still really, really hard. If you are considering attending Turing, expect this level of commitment.

The instructors at Turing are world class. They were passionate, knowledgable, and 100%-dedicated to our success. They had just the right balance of guiding and letting us figure things out for ourselves. They stressed using resources like StackOverflow and really digging in and reading documentation. While the curriculum is not perfect, it is constantly under review and is being updated to both meet the evolving needs of the tech workplace and to change lesson/curriculum structure that can be improved.

By the end of the program, I could:

• Write semantic HTML and CSS with a strong understanding of industry standards for accessibility and responsive design
    • Write JavaScript using ES5, 6, and 7 syntax and utilize array and object prototypes to manipulate data with confidence and ease
    • Develop user interfaces using traditional HTML/CSS/JS file structure as well as with modern JavaScript frameworks such as React and Vue
    • Use Redux and associated middleware like Thunk
    • Build dedicated mobile applications in React Native
    • Consume, manipulate, and display REST API data in my applications
    • Build a REST API in Node utilizing Express and Knex
    • Build, test, and deploy my own NPM packages
    • Develop collaborative applications with small teams across the stack using pair programming and professional Git workflows including both merge and rebase
    • Write unit test for both back end and front end applications using libraries and test suites like Mocha, Chai, Enzyme, and Jest

After graduation, it took me 53 days to find and accept a job offer. While my current position requires that I use a stack that I am not familiar with, I am finding that what I learned at Turing prepared me to adapt quickly on the job, to search for my own solutions first and ask for help second. I received my first paycheck yesterday, and it was double what I received as a fourteen-year veteran of public education as a music teacher. Turing literally changed the trajectory of my life. Attending was one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Mike Schutte • Solutions Engineer @ Clinc • Graduate

I had the luxury of going through Turing as a white guy with a master's degree and a history of being affirmed in the STEM field. I highlight this to say that my perspective on the challenge of Turing is pretty pure to the work and curriculum itself and not to larger systemic or identity pressures and stressors from things like race, class, gender, education, etc.

That being said, Turing is *really* hard. It really is non stop work for seven months for at least 60 hours a day (and a mellow day at that). The Turing difference is that you develop insane endurance for problem solving and spending all day thinking like a programmer.

I went through the back-end program covering Ruby and Ruby on Rails, but the curriculum and instructors pave a road for students that leads them to a place of very generalizable knowledge that applies to many contexts in software development  (almost two years out from graduation, I work on a completely different stack).

Turing helped me completely alter my life trajectory in terms of opportunity and fulfillment. If you want to see what coding is like or if you even like it, don't apply yet. It's not a kiddie pool! If you are serious about wanting to become a professional software developer, it is the only slam-dunk option in my mind.

• Sam J • Software Engineer • Graduate

I loved my time at Turing and think that my decision to change career paths and enroll in their FE program was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I started in the third cohort of their FE program and found the coursework really challenging but organized and presented in a way that enabled a lot of learning and growth (becoming a coder is not just about how much JavaScript you know but also about how you approach learning, challenges, etc) throughout the program.

As someone coming from the education space, I also really appreciated the schools focus on professional development for their instructors.  Since most developers are not trained educators who know how to write an effective lesson plan, I thought this focus by the school was a real differentiating factor - they really care about their instructors (and pay them well). I think this has a lot to do with the fact that Turing is a nonprofit - as all schools should be - the focus of the organization is on its staff and students growth and development and that is not always (or ever) the case when a company is trying to turn a profit.

I also really appreciated the 4 module structure with short breaks in between. I think it allowed me to recenter myself and stay more grounded and focused on the areas I needed to improve in throughout the process - it also gave me a bit of time to spend with my wife and to catch up on sleep.

I ended up having to take an extended break after completing Mod3 due to a family emergency and Turing was extremely understanding and accommodating to my situation and new timeline.

I ended up finishing up the program and, after getting a bunch of great interview prep/support from Ian Douglas and other instructional staff, had 4 pretty strong offers to choose from.  I am now a full-time software developer in Denver and loving my new career.

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 67 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Turing CIRR report here