turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (159) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (54) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Life Changing
    - 9/19/2018
    Melena S  User Photo
    Melena S • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Making the decision to go to Turing was terrifying but I've never felt better about a decision in my life.

The curriculum is intentionally designed to give you the skills and underlying understanding that it takes to succeed as a developer. The instructors and staff are passionate and lovely people. The program is very demanding (60 hrs a week minimum to get by, and you'll probably want/need to do more), but with dedication is totally doable and the community really comes together to support each other.

I absolutely love the job I have now, but I miss that basement.

• Erin B.  User Photo
    Erin B. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending the backend program at Turing was hands-down the most challenging and rewarding educational experience of my life (previously I completed undergraduate and master's degrees from a large state university). I chose this program for its strong curriculum, educational integrity, and non-profit mission, and I am so happy I learned to code at Turing. With any immersive/intensive experience, you must go into it expecting to do nothing else while in the program; you cannot work outside of the program, you must line up help with childcare and household duties, you should not plan any trips or weekend getaways over the seven-month period, and you must put your entire focus on your learning (and in many cases relearning how to learn in a context like Turing). I basically told my friends and family, "see you in seven months." If you cannot manage your time in that way while also getting 8 hours of sleep each night and other self-care you may need, you may struggle in this program. You must limit distractions and become incredibly self-reliant when it comes to asking for help (from other students, mentors, etc.) and seeking solutions outside of class. If you are the type who always did well in school, this program will humble you (which I find appropriate given how humbling the career of software developer can be). You will learn how to communicate well and collaborate with a team through group projects.

You will be expected to manage your own job hunt (there is no "placement service" although Turing is well-known/respected among hiring managers and employers often come to Turing to find candidates), but the Turing curriculum includes great professional-development sessions and resources to prepare you to do so successfully. Turing provides excellent instruction and a lot of wonderful resources, but in the end, you are in charge of your success in the program and job hunt. If you get behind or need more instruction, you have the option to repeat a module (there are four modules in the seven-month program) for an additional charge.

Turing is hard, stressful and relentless in ways I'd never experienced before, but it's also fun, inclusive and definitely worth it. If I had to do things over again, I would have done considerably more pre-work and online learning before starting the program—possibly like six months' worth of part-time solo studying since I didn't come from a technical background. I also highly recommend attending one of the "Try Coding" workshops Turing runs on weekends before deciding to enroll. Once you're in: Keep repeating to yourself, "This is really hard, but I can do this" because it's true, and just keep going.

• 10/10 Do It Again
    - 8/31/2018
    Jon  User Photo
    Jon • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before attending Turing, I researched a lot of bootcamps. I transitioned my career from a completely different field and wanted to make sure I made the right choice to launch my new career as a software developer. After all the research, it still felt a bit like a leap of faith, but I could not be happier with my choice to attend Turing. My impression of most bootcamps is that they are "pay-to-play" and regardless of whether you retain any meaningful knowledge or skills, they ship you out in to the world and call you a developer. That is not the case with Turing and you will be thankful for it later. The Turing program is rigorous and ever changing to keep up with the latest technology. Their staff is unbelievably skilled and knowledgeable and if you want to move forward through the program you have to pass legitimate assessments. You will see some of your new peers/friends fall behind, or even drop out - this is a good thing. The academic rigor and refusal to graduate someone who is woefully unprepared is what has set Turing apart from their competition and, at least in the Denver, I think the tech scene has recognized that. Turing is doing a great job of breaking the stigma around bootcamps with employers that other camps have created by churning out underqualified devs in the name of profit (Turing is a non-profit).

Turing does a great job with professional development and preparing you to find a job, but they won't just hand you a job. That being said, most developers bounce around within the 'gig economy' that is software development and taking the time to learn how to craft your resume and a nice portfolio is worthwhile when you are ready to put your name back out in the market for your 2nd or 3rd opportunity. The teachers are great, but a special shoutout goes to the supporting players that run the professional development and personal growth side of the curriculum.

10/10 would do it again.

• Awesome experience
    - 8/31/2018
    Adrian Lara  User Photo
    Adrian Lara • Associate DevOps Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR - This isn’t a place you come to just to get good grades and earn a certificate; this is a place to get job ready. Along the way, you’ll likely be part of an awesome community and meet some amazing people.

Before continuing, I’ll preface my more detailed review with a reminder that this comes from own experiences which, of course, can/will be different from others’.

Regarding the technical curriculum, I think it was generally well structured in that there’s an initial focus on the basics of programming before they dive into more practical and applicable skills. Throughout the program, there’s a common theme that I think worked very well - that is, they often position students to explore a topic on their own before formally teaching it. As difficult as this was, this did two things for me. The first is that it allowed me to have context for any particular lesson/topic being taught. The second is that it allowed me to be confident in exploring unknowns and being self-sufficient as a developer. I think the second is a necessary skill for developers to practice.

The instructors and staff are an amazing group of people who really care about the growth of their students. They range from Turing alumni to individuals with years of experience in the field. As an aside, for those like me, I initially had some concern about being taught by alumni with no experience in the field. But not only was this a non-issue (they were all very knowledgable), looking back, I’d now view this as a positive.  It was great to learn topics from someone who could easily “meet me where I was”, which I think the alumni-turned-instructors were all very good at doing. Lastly and maybe most importantly, all of the staff (including Jeff) are not afraid to make changes to the their teaching styles or curriculum based on student feedback or relevant changes in the field.

Finally, I’ll speak very briefly about the overall community. I really felt like this is a place designed to push individuals to grow personally as well as technically. There are plenty of non-technical sessions that explicitly did this, and I think those were extremely useful. But aside from those, I think the personalities of the staff and students collectively add up to a community of people that want to make a positive impact on the tech and larger community.

(Like a lot of things in life) Turing is what you make it, but the school's done a great job of providing the environment for you to grow in a lot of ways. Overall, I really appreciate my experience at Turing.

• Seamus Quinn  User Photo
    Seamus Quinn • QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I want to preface this by stating that these are my experiences.  I can only speak for myself, and hope that this review is seen as singular, not an accurate portrayal of every experience at Turing.  These are my opinions and should be consumed as such.

Turing is a special place.  A strong, tight-knit community where there is almost a 1:1 ratio of giving and recieving.  When I started here, I had zero experience working with computers.  I was worried that I wouldn't be successful, or able to perform to the standards of Turing, my instructors, or my peers.  I did not come from a math or science background, and was worried, especially as the first week passed, that there were others who might be more successful than me, due to their previous experiences, or their "programming-brain-type".

What it really came down to was putting in the work.  For someone like me where things did not necessarily come right away, I had to put in the work.  I had to study every day before and after school.  It wasn't easy.  It wasn't glamorous, but I eventually ended up having a lot of fun doing it, and looked forward to practicing concepts I had learned.

If you're thinking about taking the leap, know that you are landing in a community of people who care about your development as a learner, a thinker, and a human being.  This is not a place for a quick fix.  It is a place to build a foundation that allows you to learn whatever you set your mind to.  That being said, the time required (in my experience) to be successful is huge, and should not be taken lightly.  If you are not sure if you will be able to devote the majority of your time to learning, Turing might not be the place for you.

• Jordan Quinn  User Photo
    Jordan Quinn • Software Developer @ AlsoEnergy • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am who I am today, in large part, because of my experiences at Turing. Coming into the program, I had a very slight "edge", in that I had taught myself some code over the period of about 6 months. By the end of the program, though, that edge was non-existent. We were all equals.

I have never so consistently felt that I was surrounded by individuals (staff and students alike) that wanted nothing more than to better themselves and those around them. It's absolutely infectious and I can guarantee that,  if nothing else, Turing will inspire you to transcend your former self and you will try to become something more. As many of the other reviews have stated, you can expect 70-80 hour work weeks here. There will be incredibly intense struggles, moments where you feel like you can't.

But then you will.

And out of that process of living somewhere between the edge of success and failure for 7 months, you'll become a well rounded software developer who is more than ready and capable to join the work force. More importantlty than that, though, you'll become a well rounded human being. The relationships I developed while at Turing are some of the most dear I've had over the course of my entire existence. It's a family. I walked away with numerous mentors, people I know will be in my wedding party someday, endless professional contacts, and a sense of pride I had never previously experienced. My perspectives were challenged, my paradigms shifted, and I became a little bit more of the type of person I'd truly like to be.

That said, you can absolutely expect to make intense sacrifices. Friends from outside the program, family, and other relationships will become strained. At the time of writing this, I am the 10th or 11th known (thanks for loosely keeping track of this stat, Jeff) engaged person to leave the program no longer engaged to their former fiance. While this may sound like a tragedy, it's the best thing that ever happened to either one of us. We both grew due to my experience at Turing, into individuals that no longer fit in a pair. And out of that, came the opportunity to pursue who we truly are.

I use that example to (hopefully) paint a picture of just how intense this program is. You will leave different than you came.

But, it'll be the best thing you've ever done.

• Veterans Warning
    - 7/26/2018
    Angi C  User Photo
    Angi C • amcolling@gmail.com • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Hi- I was hesitant to leave this review, as I do not want to scare people away from applying to Turing. Turing is a good school, it is boot camp style, so essentially you are thrown in the deep end when you can barely swim, then throughout the module, you are thrown more and more material, sinking you deeper, as you struggle to keep your breath. The staff wants you to struggle, as a big part of becoming a developer is solving your own problems using Google, and various other resources such as classmates, and staff.

I came into Turing with a solid education, I have a master's degree and a BS in Science. However, this school is geared towards people with mathematical or engineering degrees (arts degree as well, it is the left side of your brain used mainly for object orientated programming)- those are the people that really excel. I am not saying that you cannot go through this school successfully when you have any other types of backgrounds, I am just saying the majority of people that move on without repeating modules have those types of backgrounds typically.

The cost of tuition is roughly $20,000, that includes a laptop. As a veteran, you should know it is $20,000 for four modules, so if you repeat that is an extra cost on top of that $20,000. When I went through the repeat rate was 35%!!!! 10 of us out of 28 repeated, with three dropping out for various personal reasons. I used my post-911 GI bill for this school. The VA paid the full $20,000 upfront to Turing. Turing has a policy if you fail a module twice, you are not cut out to continue in Turing, this happened to me. In the end, Turing took roughly $10,000 and some change (admin fees) from the VA. You will still owe the VA. I was warned by a staff member that people tend to have to pay BAH back, as the VA takes awhile to process withdraw paperwork.

This school is really tough. Turing has a very lax acceptance process compared to say Galvanize (interview, portfolio, coding examples, etc). To get accepted, I basically just had to answer why I want to pursue this field, and then solve an algorithm. So yes, you will probably get accepted easily. This is easy money for the school. The instructors are great, and they will help you in any way they can, but keep in mind that any extra help you ask for, they are outweighing your progress in the back of their minds.

Some of my classmates that repeated continued through, those that repeated prior to and were in my first module continued to module two, however, two of them are repeating module two. Can you imagine that is $15,000 in the hole already? So outweigh this decision and do not take this lightly, you only have so much GI bill to use. If you make it through, I have heard it is life changing. You gain great friends and a great career.

With all of this being said, reading this review before starting I probably would have still enrolled. I trust in my abilities to adapt to stressful environments and I was always an A student, but look where I am now. I can say that I put in everything I had into this program, I was there 12 hours a day and barely saw my family. Time does not equal success in this program. You need to be able to grasp object orientated programming fully- I was there, I was on the edge- but they would not allow me to continue. So before deciding to spend your hard earned, sweat and tears funding from the VA- really weigh your options.

• Co7  User Photo
    Co7 • Software Support Specialist • Student Verified via GitHub

Full Disclosure, wasn't able to finish at Turing for reasons that had nothing to do with the School, but was able to complete 3 of the 4 modules and even repeated the 1st module so in some ways I got extra experience only some see.

Like you will read from most, this place is challenging. There is no ceiling for any student and everyone has a rough time. Be prepared for long, sleepless, frustrated nights and mornings that come too soon, only to have more information crammed down your throat. The first module can be quite the wake up call and it only continues. The pace is fast and vigorous, but so is your learning curve. Sadly the first few weeks there didn't go quite as smoothly for me as it did others and so I was forced to repeat. While feeling like failure, the staff and other students made it known I wasn't. Like many others I was able to pick it up, and progress on.

All in all, the school is great. It fosters a community that is there to help out and support you. The staff is fantastic and without a doubt there only to see you succeed. If you're able to make the commitment, you will not regret it. The amount of information and experience you gain is incredible. Not just from a coding side either.

Many people say, "This school is life changing". When I first heard that, I honestly cringed from the cheese-ness. However I can attest it's the truth. While everyone of course will take different things away from the program, I can only speak to what I took from it. I absolutely became a much more driven, efficient and focussed person. I learned to communicate with co-workers/students better and also learned to know when to push through a problem, and when to ask for help. These traits, paired with vast coding knowledge you'll learn made transitioning into my first developer position easier than others who came from different boot camps or backgrounds.

My advice to perspective students, get your life situated and ready to be completely hijacked for the time there. Had I prepared more for the full immersion that is Turing, I can honestly say things would have gone smoother. Do the pre-work and be ready to be committed to the program. Relationships and a life outside of Turing is virtually non-existent, or at least when I was there. But once again, it's well worth it on the other end.

While I didn't necessarily fit in the best there socially, I'd say everyone there looks out for each other and there is very strong since of camaraderie and teamwork. So don't let that keep you away from what is something amazing.

• Jason Pilz  User Photo
    Jason Pilz • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After the course of many career changes, and once I decided to pursue programming, I began spending a fair amount of time researching coding programs. From what I found, Turing seemed to be the longest, and most positively-reviewed of the 'bootcamps'. I knew I did not want to spend only 2-3 months to try to learn a new career, especially something as deep as software development. So I took a chance on Turing, which was (for me) the far more expensive and difficult path. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went 'all-in' when committing to the Turing program, and what I found was that they did the same to make you the best software developer possible. I learned more in 7 months than I though possible. The staff and instructors are top-notch, and the community is incredibly strong. 2 months after graduation I began my first software position and have been highly fulfilled ever since. I feel Turing exceeded my expectations in every way for preparing me in the best career change I have ever made.

• Adam Hundley  User Photo
    Adam Hundley • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The decision to take a break from life to spend a lot of money to go back to school was hard but MORE than worth it. Turing was the hardest 7 months of my life. There is no getting around the fact that it is a HUGE commitment and sacrifice, but it is truly life altering. I went from having zero career direction to a lifelong career with the ability to provide for my family. The education I recieved at Turing is invaluable and I recommend it to ANYONE willing to sacrifice 7 months of their life. 7 months is NOTHING compared to the rest of your life.

• Nicholas Dorans  User Photo
    Nicholas Dorans • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Going through Turing was one of the most challenging yet deeply satisfying things I've ever done. I had no background in tech and didn't even know what the command line was before attending Turing, and that did not matter at all. They teach you all the tools you'll need to succeed is this ever changing field of software development. In under two years from me starting the program, I am making more money than I ever did before, living in a new city that I never thought I would, and I have a job where I learn new things everyday. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to get into tech. No prerequisites are required, except raw curiousity in how things work and pure grit. I would be willing to talk to anyone interested in the program personally if you'd like to email me at nicky_bobby@icloud.com . Thanks and hopefully this was helpful!!

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 67 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Turing CIRR report here