turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (155) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (55) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship

• Awesome experience
    - 8/31/2018
    Adrian Lara  User Photo
    Adrian Lara • Associate DevOps Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR - This isn’t a place you come to just to get good grades and earn a certificate; this is a place to get job ready. Along the way, you’ll likely be part of an awesome community and meet some amazing people.

Before continuing, I’ll preface my more detailed review with a reminder that this comes from own experiences which, of course, can/will be different from others’.

Regarding the technical curriculum, I think it was generally well structured in that there’s an initial focus on the basics of programming before they dive into more practical and applicable skills. Throughout the program, there’s a common theme that I think worked very well - that is, they often position students to explore a topic on their own before formally teaching it. As difficult as this was, this did two things for me. The first is that it allowed me to have context for any particular lesson/topic being taught. The second is that it allowed me to be confident in exploring unknowns and being self-sufficient as a developer. I think the second is a necessary skill for developers to practice.

The instructors and staff are an amazing group of people who really care about the growth of their students. They range from Turing alumni to individuals with years of experience in the field. As an aside, for those like me, I initially had some concern about being taught by alumni with no experience in the field. But not only was this a non-issue (they were all very knowledgable), looking back, I’d now view this as a positive.  It was great to learn topics from someone who could easily “meet me where I was”, which I think the alumni-turned-instructors were all very good at doing. Lastly and maybe most importantly, all of the staff (including Jeff) are not afraid to make changes to the their teaching styles or curriculum based on student feedback or relevant changes in the field.

Finally, I’ll speak very briefly about the overall community. I really felt like this is a place designed to push individuals to grow personally as well as technically. There are plenty of non-technical sessions that explicitly did this, and I think those were extremely useful. But aside from those, I think the personalities of the staff and students collectively add up to a community of people that want to make a positive impact on the tech and larger community.

(Like a lot of things in life) Turing is what you make it, but the school's done a great job of providing the environment for you to grow in a lot of ways. Overall, I really appreciate my experience at Turing.

• Seamus Quinn  User Photo
    Seamus Quinn • QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I want to preface this by stating that these are my experiences.  I can only speak for myself, and hope that this review is seen as singular, not an accurate portrayal of every experience at Turing.  These are my opinions and should be consumed as such.

Turing is a special place.  A strong, tight-knit community where there is almost a 1:1 ratio of giving and recieving.  When I started here, I had zero experience working with computers.  I was worried that I wouldn't be successful, or able to perform to the standards of Turing, my instructors, or my peers.  I did not come from a math or science background, and was worried, especially as the first week passed, that there were others who might be more successful than me, due to their previous experiences, or their "programming-brain-type".

What it really came down to was putting in the work.  For someone like me where things did not necessarily come right away, I had to put in the work.  I had to study every day before and after school.  It wasn't easy.  It wasn't glamorous, but I eventually ended up having a lot of fun doing it, and looked forward to practicing concepts I had learned.

If you're thinking about taking the leap, know that you are landing in a community of people who care about your development as a learner, a thinker, and a human being.  This is not a place for a quick fix.  It is a place to build a foundation that allows you to learn whatever you set your mind to.  That being said, the time required (in my experience) to be successful is huge, and should not be taken lightly.  If you are not sure if you will be able to devote the majority of your time to learning, Turing might not be the place for you.

• Jordan Quinn  User Photo
    Jordan Quinn • Software Developer @ AlsoEnergy • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am who I am today, in large part, because of my experiences at Turing. Coming into the program, I had a very slight "edge", in that I had taught myself some code over the period of about 6 months. By the end of the program, though, that edge was non-existent. We were all equals.

I have never so consistently felt that I was surrounded by individuals (staff and students alike) that wanted nothing more than to better themselves and those around them. It's absolutely infectious and I can guarantee that,  if nothing else, Turing will inspire you to transcend your former self and you will try to become something more. As many of the other reviews have stated, you can expect 70-80 hour work weeks here. There will be incredibly intense struggles, moments where you feel like you can't.

But then you will.

And out of that process of living somewhere between the edge of success and failure for 7 months, you'll become a well rounded software developer who is more than ready and capable to join the work force. More importantlty than that, though, you'll become a well rounded human being. The relationships I developed while at Turing are some of the most dear I've had over the course of my entire existence. It's a family. I walked away with numerous mentors, people I know will be in my wedding party someday, endless professional contacts, and a sense of pride I had never previously experienced. My perspectives were challenged, my paradigms shifted, and I became a little bit more of the type of person I'd truly like to be.

That said, you can absolutely expect to make intense sacrifices. Friends from outside the program, family, and other relationships will become strained. At the time of writing this, I am the 10th or 11th known (thanks for loosely keeping track of this stat, Jeff) engaged person to leave the program no longer engaged to their former fiance. While this may sound like a tragedy, it's the best thing that ever happened to either one of us. We both grew due to my experience at Turing, into individuals that no longer fit in a pair. And out of that, came the opportunity to pursue who we truly are.

I use that example to (hopefully) paint a picture of just how intense this program is. You will leave different than you came.

But, it'll be the best thing you've ever done.

• Veterans Warning
    - 7/26/2018
    Angi C  User Photo
    Angi C • amcolling@gmail.com • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Hi- I was hesitant to leave this review, as I do not want to scare people away from applying to Turing. Turing is a good school, it is boot camp style, so essentially you are thrown in the deep end when you can barely swim, then throughout the module, you are thrown more and more material, sinking you deeper, as you struggle to keep your breath. The staff wants you to struggle, as a big part of becoming a developer is solving your own problems using Google, and various other resources such as classmates, and staff.

I came into Turing with a solid education, I have a master's degree and a BS in Science. However, this school is geared towards people with mathematical or engineering degrees (arts degree as well, it is the left side of your brain used mainly for object orientated programming)- those are the people that really excel. I am not saying that you cannot go through this school successfully when you have any other types of backgrounds, I am just saying the majority of people that move on without repeating modules have those types of backgrounds typically.

The cost of tuition is roughly $20,000, that includes a laptop. As a veteran, you should know it is $20,000 for four modules, so if you repeat that is an extra cost on top of that $20,000. When I went through the repeat rate was 35%!!!! 10 of us out of 28 repeated, with three dropping out for various personal reasons. I used my post-911 GI bill for this school. The VA paid the full $20,000 upfront to Turing. Turing has a policy if you fail a module twice, you are not cut out to continue in Turing, this happened to me. In the end, Turing took roughly $10,000 and some change (admin fees) from the VA. You will still owe the VA. I was warned by a staff member that people tend to have to pay BAH back, as the VA takes awhile to process withdraw paperwork.

This school is really tough. Turing has a very lax acceptance process compared to say Galvanize (interview, portfolio, coding examples, etc). To get accepted, I basically just had to answer why I want to pursue this field, and then solve an algorithm. So yes, you will probably get accepted easily. This is easy money for the school. The instructors are great, and they will help you in any way they can, but keep in mind that any extra help you ask for, they are outweighing your progress in the back of their minds.

Some of my classmates that repeated continued through, those that repeated prior to and were in my first module continued to module two, however, two of them are repeating module two. Can you imagine that is $15,000 in the hole already? So outweigh this decision and do not take this lightly, you only have so much GI bill to use. If you make it through, I have heard it is life changing. You gain great friends and a great career.

With all of this being said, reading this review before starting I probably would have still enrolled. I trust in my abilities to adapt to stressful environments and I was always an A student, but look where I am now. I can say that I put in everything I had into this program, I was there 12 hours a day and barely saw my family. Time does not equal success in this program. You need to be able to grasp object orientated programming fully- I was there, I was on the edge- but they would not allow me to continue. So before deciding to spend your hard earned, sweat and tears funding from the VA- really weigh your options.

• Co7  User Photo
    Co7 • Software Support Specialist • Student Verified via GitHub

Full Disclosure, wasn't able to finish at Turing for reasons that had nothing to do with the School, but was able to complete 3 of the 4 modules and even repeated the 1st module so in some ways I got extra experience only some see.

Like you will read from most, this place is challenging. There is no ceiling for any student and everyone has a rough time. Be prepared for long, sleepless, frustrated nights and mornings that come too soon, only to have more information crammed down your throat. The first module can be quite the wake up call and it only continues. The pace is fast and vigorous, but so is your learning curve. Sadly the first few weeks there didn't go quite as smoothly for me as it did others and so I was forced to repeat. While feeling like failure, the staff and other students made it known I wasn't. Like many others I was able to pick it up, and progress on.

All in all, the school is great. It fosters a community that is there to help out and support you. The staff is fantastic and without a doubt there only to see you succeed. If you're able to make the commitment, you will not regret it. The amount of information and experience you gain is incredible. Not just from a coding side either.

Many people say, "This school is life changing". When I first heard that, I honestly cringed from the cheese-ness. However I can attest it's the truth. While everyone of course will take different things away from the program, I can only speak to what I took from it. I absolutely became a much more driven, efficient and focussed person. I learned to communicate with co-workers/students better and also learned to know when to push through a problem, and when to ask for help. These traits, paired with vast coding knowledge you'll learn made transitioning into my first developer position easier than others who came from different boot camps or backgrounds.

My advice to perspective students, get your life situated and ready to be completely hijacked for the time there. Had I prepared more for the full immersion that is Turing, I can honestly say things would have gone smoother. Do the pre-work and be ready to be committed to the program. Relationships and a life outside of Turing is virtually non-existent, or at least when I was there. But once again, it's well worth it on the other end.

While I didn't necessarily fit in the best there socially, I'd say everyone there looks out for each other and there is very strong since of camaraderie and teamwork. So don't let that keep you away from what is something amazing.

• Jason Pilz  User Photo
    Jason Pilz • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After the course of many career changes, and once I decided to pursue programming, I began spending a fair amount of time researching coding programs. From what I found, Turing seemed to be the longest, and most positively-reviewed of the 'bootcamps'. I knew I did not want to spend only 2-3 months to try to learn a new career, especially something as deep as software development. So I took a chance on Turing, which was (for me) the far more expensive and difficult path. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went 'all-in' when committing to the Turing program, and what I found was that they did the same to make you the best software developer possible. I learned more in 7 months than I though possible. The staff and instructors are top-notch, and the community is incredibly strong. 2 months after graduation I began my first software position and have been highly fulfilled ever since. I feel Turing exceeded my expectations in every way for preparing me in the best career change I have ever made.

• Adam Hundley  User Photo
    Adam Hundley • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The decision to take a break from life to spend a lot of money to go back to school was hard but MORE than worth it. Turing was the hardest 7 months of my life. There is no getting around the fact that it is a HUGE commitment and sacrifice, but it is truly life altering. I went from having zero career direction to a lifelong career with the ability to provide for my family. The education I recieved at Turing is invaluable and I recommend it to ANYONE willing to sacrifice 7 months of their life. 7 months is NOTHING compared to the rest of your life.

• Nicholas Dorans  User Photo
    Nicholas Dorans • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Going through Turing was one of the most challenging yet deeply satisfying things I've ever done. I had no background in tech and didn't even know what the command line was before attending Turing, and that did not matter at all. They teach you all the tools you'll need to succeed is this ever changing field of software development. In under two years from me starting the program, I am making more money than I ever did before, living in a new city that I never thought I would, and I have a job where I learn new things everyday. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to get into tech. No prerequisites are required, except raw curiousity in how things work and pure grit. I would be willing to talk to anyone interested in the program personally if you'd like to email me at nicky_bobby@icloud.com . Thanks and hopefully this was helpful!!

• Bao N  User Photo
    Bao N • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Okay, to the point.

1. Turing is a great school that cares about you as a developer. They will not pass you automatically and they will not make it easy. This is not about reputation, but simply that you make it out of the program as a competent junior engineer who will excel at their new job.

2. They help foster an environment that is inclusive and helps you to develop the skills necessary to be a good engineer. Public speaking, interviewing, pair programming, and solving problems are all covered here. These are arguably the best skills that will get you a job.

3. Jeff Casimir is pretty straight shooting when it comes to voicing his opinion on things in the tech industry and also when it comes to job hunting. Turing students really do come out of the program with some amazing skills, but it is a tough job market out there and you'll need to hustle in order to find a job. Turing does what it can, by forcing you to build a portfolio, a resume, and to come up with a job hunting plan in order to graduate, but jobs won't fall into your lap.

4. The curriculum is great. It teaches you how to learn new things quickly and how to implement new ideas. The fact that the backend program teaches you Ruby on Rails doesn't matter. I got a job that uses a Java/Groovy backend and a JS/ React frontend. The fact that 80% of the code I wrote during the program was in Ruby, didn't deter me in any way with finding a job in a different tech stack.

5. But can't I teach myself? Sure you can. The whole curriculum is available to you if you do a google search. There are tons of learning resources out there, but the program puts you alongside dedicated, smart, and driven individuals who will help you to push further and faster than you could learn on your own. Also, you can go to https://cirr.org/data where many coding schools have had their job placement results published. Turing students consistently get higher salary offers than most programs and I think that is a reflection on the skills demonstrated by its graduates.

• Ryan Workman  User Photo
    Ryan Workman • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It's been nearly a year since I graduated from Turing and began working as a professional software developer and not a day goes by without me realizing how happy I am for taking the leap and enrolling in Turing.

Before joining Turing, I graduated from college with a degree in Journalism and spent five years as a news producer. Searching for something more fulfilling and challenging, I sought out information on dev bootcamps in the area. After speaking to the CTO of Trelora (a Denver-based real estate company), the choice to enroll in Turing became clear. He echoed the same sentiments I heard from small businesses around the metro area, "Turing produces the best, most well-rounded developers."

After just the first month in Turing, I knew that I had finally found my calling. It was the first place that I felt accepted for who I am and software development (which I had some experience with when I was in high school) became my passion.

I spent seven months working through all four modules, continually being pushed to produce some of the coolest things I could ever imagine. Furthermore, beyond the technical aspect, Turing opened my eyes to some of the real-world struggles within the industry and gave me the tools to combat those injustices in the workplace.

I am now a software developer for Dish Network creating internal applications for our thousands of sales agents around the world. If, just 18 months ago, someone told me that I would be doing this for a living, I would have never believed them. Turing's fantastic instructors and difficult curriculum is changing the lives of hundreds of people everyday, while diversifying the technical field with talented, driven individuals.

• Calaway  User Photo
    Calaway • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm seven months into my first job outside of Turing, and I can tell you it's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

This CodeNewbie podcast interview with Turing's founder, Jeff Casimir, is what drew me to the school originally: https://www.codenewbie.org/podcast/the-not-bootcamp. I would highly recommend giving it a listen. Jeff was a tenured educator who started his career teaching with Teach for America before founding one of the very first immersive code schools, Hungry Academy, before the term bootcamp was even applied to them. Hungry Academy had a specific purpose and once that was completed Jeff co-founded G-School (now Galvanize) and then went on to start Turing as a non-profit organization.

Here are just a handful of things that sets Turing apart:

• They are a non-profit organization.
    • The curriculum is exemplary. They keep all the best practices and material from their many years of experience, and then also continue to iterate on it for continual improvement.
    • The community and alumni network is filled with incredible people who are all willing to help one another, be it with mentorship, helping set up a job interview at their work, or even just to meet for coffee and talk shop.
    • They have a great focus on diversity, which the tech industry will benefit greatly from.
    • They teach more than just code; they teach process. When you get to your first job out of Turing you'll know how incredibly important this is. In this industry the hot new programming language or framework changes quickly, but good, solid process is consistent and you'll be able to use it wherever you end up.
  • Chris Concannon  User Photo
    Chris Concannon • Project Associate - Software Engineering • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think the investment of time and money into Turing is worthwhile, but I was fortunate enough to complete the program without repeating any modules. This isn't true for a huge portion of students. I think that anyone applying to Turing needs to know that, from what I've seen, it is one of the more difficult coding schools out there. They'll throw students in the deep end and let them drown for a while, but help is there when anyone asks. Students struggle together and create a support network for each other. Every single week has at least 50-60 hours of commitment between project work time and class time. It can be more than that during the final week or two of each module. When I say it's hard, I mean that in order to succeed, you need to expect to take a break from everything else in your life.

I also like to mention that although Turing is very transparent about reporting their graduation and placement statistics, their metrics measuring these numbers have changed multiple times in the past couple years. In general, they have declined. For example, when I decided that I would apply to code schools in late 2015, Turing claimed to accept 8-14% of their applicants while placing well over 90% in careers that paid on average more than $80,000/year within 3 months of graduation. They also offered a tuition reimbursement guarantee if you didn't get an offer of at least $65,000/year in the first couple months after graduating. These are written in my notes from code school research, and they came from Turing's website in 2015. Those numbers have continuously declined, both while I was a student and after I graduated. They stopped guaranteeing tuition reimbursement just before I started in May 2016. The code school market is much more competitive now.

I still think Turing is a great life-changing experience. Is it worth the investment? Depends what you must sacrifice to get there. I obviously can't speak for the other coding schools, but Turing has competitors that claim better job placement, better starting salaries, and even competitors that don't make you pay any tuition until your first offer comes along. If you're located in Denver, I believe Turing would be a solid (and probably the best) choice. If you're planning to move in order to attend Turing, I'd weigh more options and look thoroughly at each one.

One additional component worth mentioning is that Turing takes to heart it's mission of developing not just skilled developers, but developers that are aware of social issues and how the web development world is engaged with, or impacts these issues. Everything from the gender wage gap, to accessibility for disabled persons, to examination of workplace stereotypes is covered in school-programmed discussions and activities. I don't know that this element exists at other coding schools. I appreciate what I gained from engagement in these discussions.

• Life Changing
    - 5/18/2017
    Lacey  User Photo
    Lacey • UI/UX Designer and Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Deciding to apply for, and attend Turing School was quite honestly the BEST decision I've ever made not only professionally, but personally. When you attend Turing you receive a top notch education from incredibly passionate instructors and staff, make a group of lifelong friends and mentors, and leave with a supportive network of web developers, and most likely an incredibly fulfilling job and career.

Keep in mind, this program is not for the faint of heart. It's really really hard and there will be a handful times when you question whether or not you can do it and even if you've made the right decision. You'll spend hours sitting at a computer not seeing the light of the day, feeling like you're going to pull your hair out and I'd be lying if I said it gets easier as you get further through the program. It doesn't. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is having a solid skill set of web development and the ability to shift or expand upon your current career.

I graduated from the Front-End Engineering program (as the second cohort) where I gained a strong fundamental knowledge of front-end languages, libraries, and frameworks and accepted a job offer 2 weeks before graduation. And although they needed some adjustments to the curriculum when I attended, they had already started to implement big changes by the time I graduated. Aside from the curriculum, you also receive an invaluable education on soft skills, the impact you can have in the world of technology, and how to be a strong member of a community.

Overall, Turing was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks web development is something they could truly be passionate about, who wants to pivot their career or, like me, expand on the one they already have.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I love my classmates and hope we're friends forever. I got a job that pays better than anyone could reasonably expect and much more importantly that I actually enjoy. I learned a lot during my time at Turing, both technically and about the world.

There were some things I didn't like about Turing. But what can you remove? The worst experiences were the ones that brought me closer together to my cohort and the other students.

The main reason I went for a lengthy face-to-face training was to learn things that wouldn't be in a curriculum or textbook, and to get a leg up in job hunting. I think Turing delivered on both big time. I see others rate the job assistance lower, and certainly it could be better. But I got leads. Good ones. And I feel like I got into the right group of people and we can continue to find each other work for hopefully many years to come.

Turing was an interesting life experience, I like showing up to work now, and I met some great people. Good luck in your journey.

• Kristen H. • Software Engineer • Graduate

Going to Turing is a serious decision. I would like to preface my review by saying that my experience in Turing was in some ways atypical because it took me longer and not everyone struggled as hard as I did. This is the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. The program took me a full year to complete. It’s hard for me to consolidate a year of my life into a short review but I will try to frame it with things I would have liked to know going into the program.

The program is broken up into four, six-week modules. You can repeat any two modules one time. You can also do something called an audit while you’re in the program where you don’t pay for the module, you attend class but don’t have projects due. I repeated modules 1 & 2 and audited 3. You have to ask about them if you think you need to audit with in the first three weeks of a mod. Repeating mods lets you try the material again, but it’s hard when you have to adjust to a new cohort and adjustments to the curriculum are frequent. Even if you repeat a mod it will not be exactly the same.

Also, as someone who had never really coded before Turing, it was incredibly difficult to learn. I felt like my brain was getting hot-wired every day. I am a slower learner than some people and the incredibly fast pace of Turing was quite a challenge. One of my teachers told us in class that to be successful at Turing you need to be putting in around 70 hours a week. For the duration of Turing, it was my entire life. All of my highs came from my successes in school and my lows came from my failures. I didn’t see my friends or have a social life outside of school. I was on my laptop from the moment I woke up until before I went to bed. Turing enhanced my anxieties. The school now has a full-time counselor on site which I think is a great help. However, l recommend caution to people with learning difficulties and mental health issues as I saw those problems make otherwise bright students struggle harder or take them out of the program altogether.

This program is also a financial commitment. 20,000 dollars was about my yearly income before I started Turing and I also paid another 5,000 to repeat courses. I did a Sallie Mae loan that I had to get a cosigner to take out. Repeating put more financial strain on my husband and I. I talked to Joanne, who recently left, about financial options and she was very kind and helpful. I ended up borrowing extra money from my parents and in-laws to make ends meet but I know that is a privilege that not everyone has. You have to consider how long you won’t have a job to help pay for living expenses including while you are in school and job hunting.

I was fortunate enough to have the financial and emotional support of my family to get through. I also had an amazing mentor and I would recommend anyone who goes through the program to get a mentor. Ask about it; they have a list of former alumni who are available. All of the instructors I had at Turing were combinations of smart, tough and supportive. As someone who struggled, I found that keeping the lines of communication open while I was in their class was extremely important. I had frequent check-ins and meetings and I messaged them often about how I was doing. I also found it important to take poms (5 minute breaks every 25 minutes or so), eat meals, drink water and have a bedtime. This can be especially hard when it seems like a lot of your fellow students are talking about how late they stayed at school, how late they’d stayed up, how early they got up, when the last time they can remember eating or taking a break etc. It is essential that you take care of yourself during the program so you don’t crash and burn.

Graduating is not the end of your journey; you still have to job hunt. The school offers professional development while you're in school and job support after. The job support after graduation or “mod 5” consists of weekly check-ins with Kayt or another job mentor and Robyn who posts job opportunities and will refer you to companies she posts about. This process can take time. While a few lucky people got jobs before they were even done with school for a lot of people it is a multi-month process. For me, it was under three months but for others, it can be longer. The alumni network is invaluable and outreach is so important.

There is no review I could write that could fully prepare anyone for the experience of being in Turing. It is hard, rewarding and like I’ve said, life-changing. For me this risk was high and the rewards were high. The results have been phenomenal, I have roughly tripled my annual income and I have an amazing job with supportive bosses. I would recommend this program with the caveat that it is not for everyone.

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Monday, Dec 09 2019
    Kristen,
    We're really happy it all worked out for you. As you said, there's a lot of sacrifice necessary to get the most out of your time at Turing. The support of friends and loved ones is huge. I'm glad your job is off to a great start and we're excited to see where your career goes from here!

- JC
  • No regrets
    - 7/30/2019
    Dan Hutchinson • Software Engineer • Graduate

To say that Attending Turing was the best decision I ever made would be an understatement. Though I’ve just begun my career in tech, the juice was worth the squeeze, so to speak, just for the experience I had while actually attending the Turing School. I made friendships that will last the rest of my life and, perhaps more importantly, found the best version of myself amidst the stress and rigor that characterize this intensive program. I came from a completely non-technical academic background (BA in philosophy, Masters in Humanities) and former careers (small business owner, then public sector employee) so if I made it through Turing successfully, so can you! If this is any indication how much I loved this experience, I have a cohort(class) Turing tattoo, now. If you think you might like coding, sign up for a try coding session and give it a shot; it just might be the best decision you ever make. I know it was for me!

• Software Developer
    - 5/13/2019
    Casey • Graduate

Best move I've made for my career ever. Incredible teaching, great job assistance and connections. You must work very very hard but if you do, you will be completely transformed into a software developer in just 7 months. They provide wonderful support for their students and have a strong sense of their values.

• Kevin Simpson • Front End/JavaScript Developer • Student

I was originally scheduled to join the 1804 Cohort for the Front End Engineering program at Turing in April of 2018. Four days before I was supposed to start at Turing, out of nowhere, my employer at the time informed me that I would be unable to take the leave that I was anticipating to start at Turing as it put me in breach of contract. The staff at Turing was on a week-long leave and were not in the office. I reached out the following morning in a cold panic asking if it was too late to push back to the next cohort, and I was informed within minutes that it would be no problem. All I needed to do was call my lender who was handling my loan and sign a new contract with Turing and I was good-to-go.

I make a point of judging organizations by how well they react when things don't go according to plan, and the first time that happened at Turing, before I had even started attending, they were super-agile and able to adapt quickly to make things work for me. Massive respect to Joanne Liu and Erin Williams on this.

My experience at Turing was that it was probably the most difficult and intense thing I've done in my entire life. I attended from late June of 2018 until early January of 2019 as a part of the 1806 Front End Cohort. I regularly put in between 12 and 14 hours per-day, going from being a relative coding novice to completely confident in my job readiness as a front end engineer. I wrote, erased, and rewrote code challenges. I worked on projects during the daily bus ride from Thornton to Denver. I scrawled JavaScript on the shower door. I ate, drank, and slept it, and it was still really, really hard. If you are considering attending Turing, expect this level of commitment.

The instructors at Turing are world class. They were passionate, knowledgable, and 100%-dedicated to our success. They had just the right balance of guiding and letting us figure things out for ourselves. They stressed using resources like StackOverflow and really digging in and reading documentation. While the curriculum is not perfect, it is constantly under review and is being updated to both meet the evolving needs of the tech workplace and to change lesson/curriculum structure that can be improved.

By the end of the program, I could:

• Write semantic HTML and CSS with a strong understanding of industry standards for accessibility and responsive design
    • Write JavaScript using ES5, 6, and 7 syntax and utilize array and object prototypes to manipulate data with confidence and ease
    • Develop user interfaces using traditional HTML/CSS/JS file structure as well as with modern JavaScript frameworks such as React and Vue
    • Use Redux and associated middleware like Thunk
    • Build dedicated mobile applications in React Native
    • Consume, manipulate, and display REST API data in my applications
    • Build a REST API in Node utilizing Express and Knex
    • Build, test, and deploy my own NPM packages
    • Develop collaborative applications with small teams across the stack using pair programming and professional Git workflows including both merge and rebase
    • Write unit test for both back end and front end applications using libraries and test suites like Mocha, Chai, Enzyme, and Jest

After graduation, it took me 53 days to find and accept a job offer. While my current position requires that I use a stack that I am not familiar with, I am finding that what I learned at Turing prepared me to adapt quickly on the job, to search for my own solutions first and ask for help second. I received my first paycheck yesterday, and it was double what I received as a fourteen-year veteran of public education as a music teacher. Turing literally changed the trajectory of my life. Attending was one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Mike Schutte • Solutions Engineer @ Clinc • Graduate

I had the luxury of going through Turing as a white guy with a master's degree and a history of being affirmed in the STEM field. I highlight this to say that my perspective on the challenge of Turing is pretty pure to the work and curriculum itself and not to larger systemic or identity pressures and stressors from things like race, class, gender, education, etc.

That being said, Turing is *really* hard. It really is non stop work for seven months for at least 60 hours a day (and a mellow day at that). The Turing difference is that you develop insane endurance for problem solving and spending all day thinking like a programmer.

I went through the back-end program covering Ruby and Ruby on Rails, but the curriculum and instructors pave a road for students that leads them to a place of very generalizable knowledge that applies to many contexts in software development  (almost two years out from graduation, I work on a completely different stack).

Turing helped me completely alter my life trajectory in terms of opportunity and fulfillment. If you want to see what coding is like or if you even like it, don't apply yet. It's not a kiddie pool! If you are serious about wanting to become a professional software developer, it is the only slam-dunk option in my mind.

• Sam J • Software Engineer • Graduate

I loved my time at Turing and think that my decision to change career paths and enroll in their FE program was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I started in the third cohort of their FE program and found the coursework really challenging but organized and presented in a way that enabled a lot of learning and growth (becoming a coder is not just about how much JavaScript you know but also about how you approach learning, challenges, etc) throughout the program.

As someone coming from the education space, I also really appreciated the schools focus on professional development for their instructors.  Since most developers are not trained educators who know how to write an effective lesson plan, I thought this focus by the school was a real differentiating factor - they really care about their instructors (and pay them well). I think this has a lot to do with the fact that Turing is a nonprofit - as all schools should be - the focus of the organization is on its staff and students growth and development and that is not always (or ever) the case when a company is trying to turn a profit.

I also really appreciated the 4 module structure with short breaks in between. I think it allowed me to recenter myself and stay more grounded and focused on the areas I needed to improve in throughout the process - it also gave me a bit of time to spend with my wife and to catch up on sleep.

I ended up having to take an extended break after completing Mod3 due to a family emergency and Turing was extremely understanding and accommodating to my situation and new timeline.

I ended up finishing up the program and, after getting a bunch of great interview prep/support from Ian Douglas and other instructional staff, had 4 pretty strong offers to choose from.  I am now a full-time software developer in Denver and loving my new career.

• Adam • Software Developer • Graduate

Graduated from Turing's backend engineering program about a year ago. Turing will prepare you for a quality, competitive software dev role. After 7 months, you'll be a quality junior developer on the verge of mid-level developer roles.

Program is a full-time commitment which you need to be prepared for but you'll learn how to use command line efficiently, build games, data structures, and of course web applications. 3/4 of way through you'll be able to build apps like Airbnb, e-commerce sites, secure login with email or sign in with facebook, google, etc confidently with or without external libraries. By then, you can concentrate and learning what you're most interested in (outside of the curriculum) and be prepared to figure it out, like building a mobile app, because you'll have a solid process of working through errors and new technologies. You'll learn coding practices to contribute quality code by writing tests, pair programming, learning how and when to reach out to mentors or more senior developers for help.

If you're prepared for the time commitment and difficulty in keeping up with the rigorous curriculum, this is a great choice to get into software development.

Turing is a nonprofit which means all funds go into quality instructors and your education. I would personally never attend a for-profit school since their responsibility is to profit before quality.

• Mason • QA Test Automation Engineer • Graduate

I attended Turing in 2017 and started with Cohort 1703, I had a wonderful experience with the program and loved nearly every minute of the experience. I struggled at points and ended up repeating my 3rd module which meant I graduated 7 weeks later than originally planned. I went through an extended job search after graduating and definitely found this to be the toughest part of the process. But if you follow the sage wisdom provided then you will not encounter many difficulties on that front. I now work as a QA engineer and make over 80k a year! I was making less than 36k previously. Truly life changing!

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Wednesday, Jan 23 2019
    Those long job hunts can be so painful. You did a great job at keeping your enthusiasm up and staying in touch with us through the process. Ellen Mary was particularly so excited when we got your good news. We look forward to see where you go from here!
  • Alan Charles • Graduate

Last year, I made the decision to attend Turing's front-end program. The program itself is great. I have never worked harder in my life. I can say that you should definitely consider how stressful the program will be for yourself, and perhaps more importantly, for those close to you. I witnessed more than a few breakups and divorces. With that said, I definitely learned how to code. I learned all of the fundamentals of frontend development, from HTML and CSS to JavaScript and all of its relevant frameworks/libraries. I also made some great friends while in the program. The instructors were really good, for the most part. Any problems I had in regard to the staff were taken incredibly seriously by Ellen Mary, which was greatly appreciated.

My biggest complaint is the complete lack of job support. I feel as if this complaint is shared among most of the people I went through the program with. It's a huge risk for almost every person there to put their life on hold and change careers like this. After 9 months I was one mod away from 'graduating' but could not afford to continue (something Turing understates immensely in my opinion), and was subsequently cut off from all potential job support. This includes consideration in their job portal, as well as resume/cover letter/outreach support. So, because I had to retake a mod and could not afford to take the last one, I am stuck trying to break into this industry alone. I feel like I paid what I could afford and worked as hard as could to be part of the Turing community everyone says is so great, inviting, and helpful, and am now out in the cold. I have applied to over 100 jobs and have gotten no interviews, let alone offers. Needless to say, I'm in an incredibly stressful position and I feel more and more every day like a lot of the things Turing says it promotes are limited at best, and non-existent in other cases.

You'll learn how to code, for sure. You'll probably meet a lot of great people too. Don't expect anything after that.

• Judson S. • Software Engineer • Graduate

I come from a science and engineering background, which I believe gave me a great foundation to build upon when it came to object-oriented programming. However, even if you don't come from that type of background, there is room for you to succeed at Turing. Even though I came from that background, I hadn’t been involved in anything to do with engineering for over 5 years. Immediately before I moved across the country to attend Turing I worked in the construction industry, and before that the bar industry. Needless to say, Turing was my chance to make a move.

The staff that I interacted with were some of the most caring and invested individuals I've ever had the privilege of learning from. With the mix of industry professionals and Turing alumni, you really do get the best of both worlds. Some of the instructors were in your shoes previously and know exactly what it is like to go through the program. This gives them the ability to relate and give advice that is directly tailored to you, as a student. Honestly, the experience was one of the most fulfilling and valuable experiences I've ever had.

I'm a veteran as well and agree with portions of what Angi C. had to say. I have to say the communication about the GI Bill and how it interacts with Turing was severely lacking. There was absolutely nothing in the papers you sign at the beginning about refunds, the payment schedule, how the VA handles a student dropping out of the program, or any other information. While there is some burden on the student to determine some of that information for themselves, I believe the school should have better documentation, as they’ve been certified by the VA for a while now. Apparently, the program has been certified in a different fashion now, meaning each module is its own ‘semester,’ and if you drop out in-between two of the modules, you won’t be on the hook for the modules you haven’t taken yet. This does affect the monthly stipend however, so make sure you take that into account when planning your finances for attending. Always good to clarify those things with the staff at Turing before you put down the deposit. Having said all of that, I will say once I was ready to leave the program, the help I got from the staff at Turing regarding the VA was very helpful. I just wished more of that information had been communicated at the beginning.

I was able to obtain a job offer while in my second module and finished the third module before starting my job. I would not have been able to get that job without the education I obtained at Turing. More than the education itself, Turing gives you the confidence to speak knowledgably about programming/web development. If you have the soft skills already, Turing will just improve them. If you are working on your soft skills, Turing will help you to achieve mastery of them. I believe soft skills are one of the most important things you can bring to a job interview, and Turing’s professional development really pushes those interactions and skills.

The culture and inclusiveness at Turing is unparalleled. I challenge anyone to present a professional learning environment with more of an emphasis on inclusion. I learned more about social issues and how they affect environments such as software development than I ever anticipated. The information was and continues to be extremely valuable in my professional and personal life. I made friends at Turing that are some of the strongest and most intelligent people I’ve ever met, including my time in the military. Jeff and his staff have really designed an atmosphere of learning that encourages and supports rather than teaches and abandons. They are also extremely open to changing styles and teaching strategies that may not be working, even for a specific class. The speed of change at Turing is one of its greatest strengths and something I enjoyed.

The work load is quite a bit there, but I'm not sure that I would peg it at the 70+ hours per week like some of the other reviewers. The time you invest is really going to depend on how well you adapt to learning in an accelerated environment and how efficient you are with your time. That's not to say it's easy by any means, just don't let the workload scare you away from the program. The more work you put in now/in school, the more benefits you will reap from your job.

Overall, Turing was an extremely positive and valuable experience. I did a lot of research into bootcamp programs before I moved across the country to go to Turing, and I really believe I made the right choice. I will always look back on my time at Turing as one of the best turning points in my life. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Eric • Software Dev • Graduate

I get that this is a big decision. I had to decide if I was going to cash out my 401k on top of borrowing a big chunk of money to do this. Luckily, it was the right decision. After going through the Turing School of Software & Design's Front End program I was able to land a job I enjoy making $73k a year. That's a big jump from the $38k I was making as a retail store manager. We're about 8 weeks out from graduation and everyone else in my cohort who has accepted positions are making as much or more than I am. So, is this a path to a better life? Yes. But you have to enjoy it because it's an incredibly intense program. I'd say I spent 60-70 hours a week working hard in Turing (between class time and project work), so it's definitely going to demand your full attention. And it's not just a lot of work, it's difficult. Our cohort started with 28 people and we graduated with 15 who made it through without having to repeat any modules. Some had to repeat one module. Some had to repeat two. Some left the program. So yeah, it's difficult. That being said, the instructors and curriculum are both top-notch, and you will learn both the technical skills and the soft skill you need to be successful.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

95% of job obtainers reported salaries.

• 71 enrolled students are covered in this report.
  • View Turing's Detailed Outcomes Summary here.
  • CIRR is a coalition of coding bootcamps that have adopted a standard for reporting, publishing, and marketing student outcomes. Read more about CIRR