turing-logo

Turing

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (148) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (56) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby
    Rolling Start Date
    Denver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Skills Fund (Cost of Living Financing Available)Climb (Cost of Living Financing Available)Earnest
    Alternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    $4,000 Diversity Scholarship
    Interview
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Denver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    $4,000 Diversity Scholarship
    Interview

• Jason Pilz  User Photo
    Jason Pilz • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After the course of many career changes, and once I decided to pursue programming, I began spending a fair amount of time researching coding programs. From what I found, Turing seemed to be the longest, and most positively-reviewed of the 'bootcamps'. I knew I did not want to spend only 2-3 months to try to learn a new career, especially something as deep as software development. So I took a chance on Turing, which was (for me) the far more expensive and difficult path. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went 'all-in' when committing to the Turing program, and what I found was that they did the same to make you the best software developer possible. I learned more in 7 months than I though possible. The staff and instructors are top-notch, and the community is incredibly strong. 2 months after graduation I began my first software position and have been highly fulfilled ever since. I feel Turing exceeded my expectations in every way for preparing me in the best career change I have ever made.

• Adam Hundley  User Photo
    Adam Hundley • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The decision to take a break from life to spend a lot of money to go back to school was hard but MORE than worth it. Turing was the hardest 7 months of my life. There is no getting around the fact that it is a HUGE commitment and sacrifice, but it is truly life altering. I went from having zero career direction to a lifelong career with the ability to provide for my family. The education I recieved at Turing is invaluable and I recommend it to ANYONE willing to sacrifice 7 months of their life. 7 months is NOTHING compared to the rest of your life.

• Nicholas Dorans  User Photo
    Nicholas Dorans • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Going through Turing was one of the most challenging yet deeply satisfying things I've ever done. I had no background in tech and didn't even know what the command line was before attending Turing, and that did not matter at all. They teach you all the tools you'll need to succeed is this ever changing field of software development. In under two years from me starting the program, I am making more money than I ever did before, living in a new city that I never thought I would, and I have a job where I learn new things everyday. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to get into tech. No prerequisites are required, except raw curiousity in how things work and pure grit. I would be willing to talk to anyone interested in the program personally if you'd like to email me at nicky_bobby@icloud.com . Thanks and hopefully this was helpful!!

• Bao N  User Photo
    Bao N • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Okay, to the point.

1. Turing is a great school that cares about you as a developer. They will not pass you automatically and they will not make it easy. This is not about reputation, but simply that you make it out of the program as a competent junior engineer who will excel at their new job.

2. They help foster an environment that is inclusive and helps you to develop the skills necessary to be a good engineer. Public speaking, interviewing, pair programming, and solving problems are all covered here. These are arguably the best skills that will get you a job.

3. Jeff Casimir is pretty straight shooting when it comes to voicing his opinion on things in the tech industry and also when it comes to job hunting. Turing students really do come out of the program with some amazing skills, but it is a tough job market out there and you'll need to hustle in order to find a job. Turing does what it can, by forcing you to build a portfolio, a resume, and to come up with a job hunting plan in order to graduate, but jobs won't fall into your lap.

4. The curriculum is great. It teaches you how to learn new things quickly and how to implement new ideas. The fact that the backend program teaches you Ruby on Rails doesn't matter. I got a job that uses a Java/Groovy backend and a JS/ React frontend. The fact that 80% of the code I wrote during the program was in Ruby, didn't deter me in any way with finding a job in a different tech stack.

5. But can't I teach myself? Sure you can. The whole curriculum is available to you if you do a google search. There are tons of learning resources out there, but the program puts you alongside dedicated, smart, and driven individuals who will help you to push further and faster than you could learn on your own. Also, you can go to https://cirr.org/data where many coding schools have had their job placement results published. Turing students consistently get higher salary offers than most programs and I think that is a reflection on the skills demonstrated by its graduates.

• Ryan Workman  User Photo
    Ryan Workman • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It's been nearly a year since I graduated from Turing and began working as a professional software developer and not a day goes by without me realizing how happy I am for taking the leap and enrolling in Turing.

Before joining Turing, I graduated from college with a degree in Journalism and spent five years as a news producer. Searching for something more fulfilling and challenging, I sought out information on dev bootcamps in the area. After speaking to the CTO of Trelora (a Denver-based real estate company), the choice to enroll in Turing became clear. He echoed the same sentiments I heard from small businesses around the metro area, "Turing produces the best, most well-rounded developers."

After just the first month in Turing, I knew that I had finally found my calling. It was the first place that I felt accepted for who I am and software development (which I had some experience with when I was in high school) became my passion.

I spent seven months working through all four modules, continually being pushed to produce some of the coolest things I could ever imagine. Furthermore, beyond the technical aspect, Turing opened my eyes to some of the real-world struggles within the industry and gave me the tools to combat those injustices in the workplace.

I am now a software developer for Dish Network creating internal applications for our thousands of sales agents around the world. If, just 18 months ago, someone told me that I would be doing this for a living, I would have never believed them. Turing's fantastic instructors and difficult curriculum is changing the lives of hundreds of people everyday, while diversifying the technical field with talented, driven individuals.

• Calaway  User Photo
    Calaway • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm seven months into my first job outside of Turing, and I can tell you it's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

This CodeNewbie podcast interview with Turing's founder, Jeff Casimir, is what drew me to the school originally: https://www.codenewbie.org/podcast/the-not-bootcamp. I would highly recommend giving it a listen. Jeff was a tenured educator who started his career teaching with Teach for America before founding one of the very first immersive code schools, Hungry Academy, before the term bootcamp was even applied to them. Hungry Academy had a specific purpose and once that was completed Jeff co-founded G-School (now Galvanize) and then went on to start Turing as a non-profit organization.

Here are just a handful of things that sets Turing apart:

They are a non-profit organization. The curriculum is exemplary. They keep all the best practices and material from their many years of experience, and then also continue to iterate on it for continual improvement. The community and alumni network is filled with incredible people who are all willing to help one another, be it with mentorship, helping set up a job interview at their work, or even just to meet for coffee and talk shop. They have a great focus on diversity, which the tech industry will benefit greatly from. They teach more than just code; they teach process. When you get to your first job out of Turing you'll know how incredibly important this is. In this industry the hot new programming language or framework changes quickly, but good, solid process is consistent and you'll be able to use it wherever you end up.
  • Chris Concannon  User Photo
    Chris Concannon • Project Associate - Software Engineering • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think the investment of time and money into Turing is worthwhile, but I was fortunate enough to complete the program without repeating any modules. This isn't true for a huge portion of students. I think that anyone applying to Turing needs to know that, from what I've seen, it is one of the more difficult coding schools out there. They'll throw students in the deep end and let them drown for a while, but help is there when anyone asks. Students struggle together and create a support network for each other. Every single week has at least 50-60 hours of commitment between project work time and class time. It can be more than that during the final week or two of each module. When I say it's hard, I mean that in order to succeed, you need to expect to take a break from everything else in your life.

I also like to mention that although Turing is very transparent about reporting their graduation and placement statistics, their metrics measuring these numbers have changed multiple times in the past couple years. In general, they have declined. For example, when I decided that I would apply to code schools in late 2015, Turing claimed to accept 8-14% of their applicants while placing well over 90% in careers that paid on average more than $80,000/year within 3 months of graduation. They also offered a tuition reimbursement guarantee if you didn't get an offer of at least $65,000/year in the first couple months after graduating. These are written in my notes from code school research, and they came from Turing's website in 2015. Those numbers have continuously declined, both while I was a student and after I graduated. They stopped guaranteeing tuition reimbursement just before I started in May 2016. The code school market is much more competitive now.

I still think Turing is a great life-changing experience. Is it worth the investment? Depends what you must sacrifice to get there. I obviously can't speak for the other coding schools, but Turing has competitors that claim better job placement, better starting salaries, and even competitors that don't make you pay any tuition until your first offer comes along. If you're located in Denver, I believe Turing would be a solid (and probably the best) choice. If you're planning to move in order to attend Turing, I'd weigh more options and look thoroughly at each one.

One additional component worth mentioning is that Turing takes to heart it's mission of developing not just skilled developers, but developers that are aware of social issues and how the web development world is engaged with, or impacts these issues. Everything from the gender wage gap, to accessibility for disabled persons, to examination of workplace stereotypes is covered in school-programmed discussions and activities. I don't know that this element exists at other coding schools. I appreciate what I gained from engagement in these discussions.

• Life Changing
    - 5/18/2017
    Lacey  User Photo
    Lacey • UI/UX Designer and Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Deciding to apply for, and attend Turing School was quite honestly the BEST decision I've ever made not only professionally, but personally. When you attend Turing you receive a top notch education from incredibly passionate instructors and staff, make a group of lifelong friends and mentors, and leave with a supportive network of web developers, and most likely an incredibly fulfilling job and career.

Keep in mind, this program is not for the faint of heart. It's really really hard and there will be a handful times when you question whether or not you can do it and even if you've made the right decision. You'll spend hours sitting at a computer not seeing the light of the day, feeling like you're going to pull your hair out and I'd be lying if I said it gets easier as you get further through the program. It doesn't. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is having a solid skill set of web development and the ability to shift or expand upon your current career.

I graduated from the Front-End Engineering program (as the second cohort) where I gained a strong fundamental knowledge of front-end languages, libraries, and frameworks and accepted a job offer 2 weeks before graduation. And although they needed some adjustments to the curriculum when I attended, they had already started to implement big changes by the time I graduated. Aside from the curriculum, you also receive an invaluable education on soft skills, the impact you can have in the world of technology, and how to be a strong member of a community.

Overall, Turing was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks web development is something they could truly be passionate about, who wants to pivot their career or, like me, expand on the one they already have.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I love my classmates and hope we're friends forever. I got a job that pays better than anyone could reasonably expect and much more importantly that I actually enjoy. I learned a lot during my time at Turing, both technically and about the world.

There were some things I didn't like about Turing. But what can you remove? The worst experiences were the ones that brought me closer together to my cohort and the other students.

The main reason I went for a lengthy face-to-face training was to learn things that wouldn't be in a curriculum or textbook, and to get a leg up in job hunting. I think Turing delivered on both big time. I see others rate the job assistance lower, and certainly it could be better. But I got leads. Good ones. And I feel like I got into the right group of people and we can continue to find each other work for hopefully many years to come.

Turing was an interesting life experience, I like showing up to work now, and I met some great people. Good luck in your journey.

• No regrets
    - 7/30/2019
    Dan Hutchinson • Software Engineer • Graduate

To say that Attending Turing was the best decision I ever made would be an understatement. Though I’ve just begun my career in tech, the juice was worth the squeeze, so to speak, just for the experience I had while actually attending the Turing School. I made friendships that will last the rest of my life and, perhaps more importantly, found the best version of myself amidst the stress and rigor that characterize this intensive program. I came from a completely non-technical academic background (BA in philosophy, Masters in Humanities) and former careers (small business owner, then public sector employee) so if I made it through Turing successfully, so can you! If this is any indication how much I loved this experience, I have a cohort(class) Turing tattoo, now. If you think you might like coding, sign up for a try coding session and give it a shot; it just might be the best decision you ever make. I know it was for me!

• Software Developer
    - 5/13/2019
    Casey • Graduate

Best move I've made for my career ever. Incredible teaching, great job assistance and connections. You must work very very hard but if you do, you will be completely transformed into a software developer in just 7 months. They provide wonderful support for their students and have a strong sense of their values.

• Kevin Simpson • Front End/JavaScript Developer • Student

I was originally scheduled to join the 1804 Cohort for the Front End Engineering program at Turing in April of 2018. Four days before I was supposed to start at Turing, out of nowhere, my employer at the time informed me that I would be unable to take the leave that I was anticipating to start at Turing as it put me in breach of contract. The staff at Turing was on a week-long leave and were not in the office. I reached out the following morning in a cold panic asking if it was too late to push back to the next cohort, and I was informed within minutes that it would be no problem. All I needed to do was call my lender who was handling my loan and sign a new contract with Turing and I was good-to-go.

I make a point of judging organizations by how well they react when things don't go according to plan, and the first time that happened at Turing, before I had even started attending, they were super-agile and able to adapt quickly to make things work for me. Massive respect to Joanne Liu and Erin Williams on this.

My experience at Turing was that it was probably the most difficult and intense thing I've done in my entire life. I attended from late June of 2018 until early January of 2019 as a part of the 1806 Front End Cohort. I regularly put in between 12 and 14 hours per-day, going from being a relative coding novice to completely confident in my job readiness as a front end engineer. I wrote, erased, and rewrote code challenges. I worked on projects during the daily bus ride from Thornton to Denver. I scrawled JavaScript on the shower door. I ate, drank, and slept it, and it was still really, really hard. If you are considering attending Turing, expect this level of commitment.

The instructors at Turing are world class. They were passionate, knowledgable, and 100%-dedicated to our success. They had just the right balance of guiding and letting us figure things out for ourselves. They stressed using resources like StackOverflow and really digging in and reading documentation. While the curriculum is not perfect, it is constantly under review and is being updated to both meet the evolving needs of the tech workplace and to change lesson/curriculum structure that can be improved.

By the end of the program, I could:

Write semantic HTML and CSS with a strong understanding of industry standards for accessibility and responsive design Write JavaScript using ES5, 6, and 7 syntax and utilize array and object prototypes to manipulate data with confidence and ease Develop user interfaces using traditional HTML/CSS/JS file structure as well as with modern JavaScript frameworks such as React and Vue Use Redux and associated middleware like Thunk Build dedicated mobile applications in React Native Consume, manipulate, and display REST API data in my applications Build a REST API in Node utilizing Express and Knex Build, test, and deploy my own NPM packages Develop collaborative applications with small teams across the stack using pair programming and professional Git workflows including both merge and rebase Write unit test for both back end and front end applications using libraries and test suites like Mocha, Chai, Enzyme, and Jest

After graduation, it took me 53 days to find and accept a job offer. While my current position requires that I use a stack that I am not familiar with, I am finding that what I learned at Turing prepared me to adapt quickly on the job, to search for my own solutions first and ask for help second. I received my first paycheck yesterday, and it was double what I received as a fourteen-year veteran of public education as a music teacher. Turing literally changed the trajectory of my life. Attending was one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Mike Schutte • Solutions Engineer @ Clinc • Graduate

I had the luxury of going through Turing as a white guy with a master's degree and a history of being affirmed in the STEM field. I highlight this to say that my perspective on the challenge of Turing is pretty pure to the work and curriculum itself and not to larger systemic or identity pressures and stressors from things like race, class, gender, education, etc.

That being said, Turing is *really* hard. It really is non stop work for seven months for at least 60 hours a day (and a mellow day at that). The Turing difference is that you develop insane endurance for problem solving and spending all day thinking like a programmer.

I went through the back-end program covering Ruby and Ruby on Rails, but the curriculum and instructors pave a road for students that leads them to a place of very generalizable knowledge that applies to many contexts in software development  (almost two years out from graduation, I work on a completely different stack).

Turing helped me completely alter my life trajectory in terms of opportunity and fulfillment. If you want to see what coding is like or if you even like it, don't apply yet. It's not a kiddie pool! If you are serious about wanting to become a professional software developer, it is the only slam-dunk option in my mind.

• Sam J • Software Engineer • Graduate

I loved my time at Turing and think that my decision to change career paths and enroll in their FE program was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I started in the third cohort of their FE program and found the coursework really challenging but organized and presented in a way that enabled a lot of learning and growth (becoming a coder is not just about how much JavaScript you know but also about how you approach learning, challenges, etc) throughout the program.

As someone coming from the education space, I also really appreciated the schools focus on professional development for their instructors.  Since most developers are not trained educators who know how to write an effective lesson plan, I thought this focus by the school was a real differentiating factor - they really care about their instructors (and pay them well). I think this has a lot to do with the fact that Turing is a nonprofit - as all schools should be - the focus of the organization is on its staff and students growth and development and that is not always (or ever) the case when a company is trying to turn a profit.

I also really appreciated the 4 module structure with short breaks in between. I think it allowed me to recenter myself and stay more grounded and focused on the areas I needed to improve in throughout the process - it also gave me a bit of time to spend with my wife and to catch up on sleep.

I ended up having to take an extended break after completing Mod3 due to a family emergency and Turing was extremely understanding and accommodating to my situation and new timeline.

I ended up finishing up the program and, after getting a bunch of great interview prep/support from Ian Douglas and other instructional staff, had 4 pretty strong offers to choose from.  I am now a full-time software developer in Denver and loving my new career.

• Adam • Software Developer • Graduate

Graduated from Turing's backend engineering program about a year ago. Turing will prepare you for a quality, competitive software dev role. After 7 months, you'll be a quality junior developer on the verge of mid-level developer roles.

Program is a full-time commitment which you need to be prepared for but you'll learn how to use command line efficiently, build games, data structures, and of course web applications. 3/4 of way through you'll be able to build apps like Airbnb, e-commerce sites, secure login with email or sign in with facebook, google, etc confidently with or without external libraries. By then, you can concentrate and learning what you're most interested in (outside of the curriculum) and be prepared to figure it out, like building a mobile app, because you'll have a solid process of working through errors and new technologies. You'll learn coding practices to contribute quality code by writing tests, pair programming, learning how and when to reach out to mentors or more senior developers for help.

If you're prepared for the time commitment and difficulty in keeping up with the rigorous curriculum, this is a great choice to get into software development.

Turing is a nonprofit which means all funds go into quality instructors and your education. I would personally never attend a for-profit school since their responsibility is to profit before quality.

• Mason • QA Test Automation Engineer • Graduate

I attended Turing in 2017 and started with Cohort 1703, I had a wonderful experience with the program and loved nearly every minute of the experience. I struggled at points and ended up repeating my 3rd module which meant I graduated 7 weeks later than originally planned. I went through an extended job search after graduating and definitely found this to be the toughest part of the process. But if you follow the sage wisdom provided then you will not encounter many difficulties on that front. I now work as a QA engineer and make over 80k a year! I was making less than 36k previously. Truly life changing!

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Wednesday, Jan 23 2019
    Those long job hunts can be so painful. You did a great job at keeping your enthusiasm up and staying in touch with us through the process. Ellen Mary was particularly so excited when we got your good news. We look forward to see where you go from here!
  • Alan Charles • Graduate

Last year, I made the decision to attend Turing's front-end program. The program itself is great. I have never worked harder in my life. I can say that you should definitely consider how stressful the program will be for yourself, and perhaps more importantly, for those close to you. I witnessed more than a few breakups and divorces. With that said, I definitely learned how to code. I learned all of the fundamentals of frontend development, from HTML and CSS to JavaScript and all of its relevant frameworks/libraries. I also made some great friends while in the program. The instructors were really good, for the most part. Any problems I had in regard to the staff were taken incredibly seriously by Ellen Mary, which was greatly appreciated.

My biggest complaint is the complete lack of job support. I feel as if this complaint is shared among most of the people I went through the program with. It's a huge risk for almost every person there to put their life on hold and change careers like this. After 9 months I was one mod away from 'graduating' but could not afford to continue (something Turing understates immensely in my opinion), and was subsequently cut off from all potential job support. This includes consideration in their job portal, as well as resume/cover letter/outreach support. So, because I had to retake a mod and could not afford to take the last one, I am stuck trying to break into this industry alone. I feel like I paid what I could afford and worked as hard as could to be part of the Turing community everyone says is so great, inviting, and helpful, and am now out in the cold. I have applied to over 100 jobs and have gotten no interviews, let alone offers. Needless to say, I'm in an incredibly stressful position and I feel more and more every day like a lot of the things Turing says it promotes are limited at best, and non-existent in other cases.

You'll learn how to code, for sure. You'll probably meet a lot of great people too. Don't expect anything after that.

• Judson S. • Software Engineer • Graduate

I come from a science and engineering background, which I believe gave me a great foundation to build upon when it came to object-oriented programming. However, even if you don't come from that type of background, there is room for you to succeed at Turing. Even though I came from that background, I hadn’t been involved in anything to do with engineering for over 5 years. Immediately before I moved across the country to attend Turing I worked in the construction industry, and before that the bar industry. Needless to say, Turing was my chance to make a move.

The staff that I interacted with were some of the most caring and invested individuals I've ever had the privilege of learning from. With the mix of industry professionals and Turing alumni, you really do get the best of both worlds. Some of the instructors were in your shoes previously and know exactly what it is like to go through the program. This gives them the ability to relate and give advice that is directly tailored to you, as a student. Honestly, the experience was one of the most fulfilling and valuable experiences I've ever had.

I'm a veteran as well and agree with portions of what Angi C. had to say. I have to say the communication about the GI Bill and how it interacts with Turing was severely lacking. There was absolutely nothing in the papers you sign at the beginning about refunds, the payment schedule, how the VA handles a student dropping out of the program, or any other information. While there is some burden on the student to determine some of that information for themselves, I believe the school should have better documentation, as they’ve been certified by the VA for a while now. Apparently, the program has been certified in a different fashion now, meaning each module is its own ‘semester,’ and if you drop out in-between two of the modules, you won’t be on the hook for the modules you haven’t taken yet. This does affect the monthly stipend however, so make sure you take that into account when planning your finances for attending. Always good to clarify those things with the staff at Turing before you put down the deposit. Having said all of that, I will say once I was ready to leave the program, the help I got from the staff at Turing regarding the VA was very helpful. I just wished more of that information had been communicated at the beginning.

I was able to obtain a job offer while in my second module and finished the third module before starting my job. I would not have been able to get that job without the education I obtained at Turing. More than the education itself, Turing gives you the confidence to speak knowledgably about programming/web development. If you have the soft skills already, Turing will just improve them. If you are working on your soft skills, Turing will help you to achieve mastery of them. I believe soft skills are one of the most important things you can bring to a job interview, and Turing’s professional development really pushes those interactions and skills.

The culture and inclusiveness at Turing is unparalleled. I challenge anyone to present a professional learning environment with more of an emphasis on inclusion. I learned more about social issues and how they affect environments such as software development than I ever anticipated. The information was and continues to be extremely valuable in my professional and personal life. I made friends at Turing that are some of the strongest and most intelligent people I’ve ever met, including my time in the military. Jeff and his staff have really designed an atmosphere of learning that encourages and supports rather than teaches and abandons. They are also extremely open to changing styles and teaching strategies that may not be working, even for a specific class. The speed of change at Turing is one of its greatest strengths and something I enjoyed.

The work load is quite a bit there, but I'm not sure that I would peg it at the 70+ hours per week like some of the other reviewers. The time you invest is really going to depend on how well you adapt to learning in an accelerated environment and how efficient you are with your time. That's not to say it's easy by any means, just don't let the workload scare you away from the program. The more work you put in now/in school, the more benefits you will reap from your job.

Overall, Turing was an extremely positive and valuable experience. I did a lot of research into bootcamp programs before I moved across the country to go to Turing, and I really believe I made the right choice. I will always look back on my time at Turing as one of the best turning points in my life. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Eric • Software Dev • Graduate

I get that this is a big decision. I had to decide if I was going to cash out my 401k on top of borrowing a big chunk of money to do this. Luckily, it was the right decision. After going through the Turing School of Software & Design's Front End program I was able to land a job I enjoy making $73k a year. That's a big jump from the $38k I was making as a retail store manager. We're about 8 weeks out from graduation and everyone else in my cohort who has accepted positions are making as much or more than I am. So, is this a path to a better life? Yes. But you have to enjoy it because it's an incredibly intense program. I'd say I spent 60-70 hours a week working hard in Turing (between class time and project work), so it's definitely going to demand your full attention. And it's not just a lot of work, it's difficult. Our cohort started with 28 people and we graduated with 15 who made it through without having to repeat any modules. Some had to repeat one module. Some had to repeat two. Some left the program. So yeah, it's difficult. That being said, the instructors and curriculum are both top-notch, and you will learn both the technical skills and the soft skill you need to be successful.

• Daniela Carey • Software Engineer • Graduate

The community at Turing sets it apart from other bootcamps. Almost any coding bootcamp can teach you the same coding skills but you can’t get the quality of community that you get at Turing at other bootcamps. The support I received from the staff, alumni, and other students contributed to my success throughout the program and ultimately helped me get a job before graduation.

Alumni are available and eager to help current students as mentors. For current students, it is valuable to have the insight and support from other students who had been through the program, job search, and had spent a few years as a software developer.

The Turing staff and community does a great job of creating an inclusive environment that breeds a diverse student body full of amazing people. I made life-long friends during my 7 months at Turing and felt supported by my fellow classmates from day 1.

Even before my first day of class, I could tell the staff cared deeply about students’ success. Throughout the rigorous curriculum, they were supportive and always available to help. They all go above and beyond to make students feel confident and make sure students know what they need to know to be successful engineers (not just get through the program - they want you to be successful as an engineer in the real world). Additionally, staff is very open to feedback and is constantly adjusting to better serve students and they are available and eager to help with job support throughout Turing and after. Bonus: they’re all amazing humans and enjoyable to be around (which makes a difference when you’re in class with them 40 hours a week).

• Lee Chow • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate

I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated my experience at Turing. I've had a lot of formal education over the years (clinical doctorate in physical therapy and a combined BS/MS in biomedical engineering), and I also worked a few years as a middle school teacher. From being involved in many areas of education as both a student and teacher, I was very impressed with how Turing's curriculum (technical and professional development) is designed. You can see they make a strong effort to use best teaching practices and to emphasize key skills in software development throughout the program. It's also quite impressive how quickly the curriculum adapts. Every module, students give feedback to the instructors and often the next module changes are already in place. Turing definitely teaches and follows the agile workflow!

I completed the backend program and the technical curriculum focuses on Ruby & Ruby on Rails for 3/4 of the program and JavaScript with a little React for the last 1/4 (this may have changed slightly since I graduated). It's very heavily focused on Object Oriented Design with relational databases (PostgreSQL). The backend program also strongly emphasizes Test-Driven Development (super valuable way of developing software that is maintainable and readable). Some concepts from a more traditional Data Structures and Algorithms course were not emphasized as much during my time at Turing; however, you will be exposed to these concepts (and it is certainly encouraged that you explore this more). There just isn't enough time to cram all this information into a short 7 months!

If you are looking at other bootcamps, I would really recommend Turing (its non-profit status was a huge plus to me). I would be very hesitant to do any part-time bootcamp of similar duration (unless you absolutey need to) as I do not think one's level of understanding would be sufficient to be a junior developer. As for other full-time bootcamps, I would say Turing likely has the highest standards. I would say it is common for ~10-15% of a module to have to "repeat" (especially in modules 1 and 2). Although this may feel like a negative, I think this demonstrates that quality of a Turing graduate over other bootcamps. The faculty will work with you if you are struggling (they often set up study hours just for students that need more time), and there are different difficulty levels for various projects.

The curriculum is quite rigorous and you will need to get comfortable with diving into a project feeling like you don't know anything (but by the end you will have learned a lot more with this approach). You can certainly become a self-taught developer, but if you can I would really recommend doing Turing as you are paying for the collaboration and learning environment (in addition to very quality instruction). Also you are forced to work in a very fast-paced environment, so you could probably learn much quicker than if you did so by yourself.

In terms of job placement, I was very fortunate as I had a job offer before graduating. This isn't as common, but about a quarter of my cohort had job offers upon graduating. Also Turing does support you throughout your 4 modules on campus and even after (during "module 5"). I have friends that kept going to Turing after graduation to get office hours help with their job search.

Overall, Turing is such a supportive, dynamic, and collaborative environment. It opened the doors to an awesome new career for me, and I hope it does the same for you :) I wish you the best in your decisions!

-Lee

• 5 Stars
    - 9/1/2018
    Katie • Integrations Engineer

Turing gave me what I needed to start a new career. Before I attended Turing, I was trying to teaching myself web development online when I came home from my teaching job. Eventually I reached a point where I knew I needed to take a leap and commit to a rigorous program in order to gain the skills necessary to get a software engineering job.

I learned more during my seven months at Turing than I ever thought possible. I also really appreciated the community of Turing -- my cohort was amazing and cohesive, and the staff are all invested in helping students succeed.

Turing was definitely stressful, but for me it was 100% worth it. I started my first dev job three weeks after graduation, and am so happy to be working in this industry.

• Andy <> • Applications Developer • Graduate

I'm a recent Turing Backend Program grad (as of June 8th, 2018), and I highly recommend Turing for anybody willing to make a major career change and become a strong candidate in the web development job market.

My context:

Before Turing I had very little knowledge/awareness of programming, my background was mostly based in service and culinary industries. I decided to make the switch to programming after becoming frustrated with the lack of great and accessible cloud based technologies in my industries, as well as a desire for a better work/life/money balance. I spent about two months on the Odin Project learning very very basics before looking for a bootcamp. I compared all my options in Denver, and after attending intro sessions at Galvanize, General Assembly & Turing, there was no contest in my mind about which would be the most challenging and directed. (Also have to mention it's a non-profit & has a great mission statement aimed at inclusivity).

Turing was very challenging. extremely time consuming, but the reward and skills you gain by the end are more than worth the 7 month (minumum) sacrice you'll make.

The instructors at Turing are great, knowledgeable and very empathetic with the students' experience. Given that, the point of Turing is to become an independent developer with great team skills, so instructors tend to be hands-off outside of project reviews unless you as the student are proactive about seeking their help/feedback (this has proven to be invaluable in the work place in terms of interacting with my lead engineer & product manager). The course material is very challenging coming from a non-computer-science background, and it will likely require all of your attention and most of your brain power to naturalize the concepts you pick up in the first 3 of 4 modules.

As a note - I've encountered a bit of skepticism re: our Ruby on Rails backend curriculum based on the trendiness of other languages. The skills we gained from the ruby frameworks we start with are taught with strong enough conceptual depth that they really do translate to pretty much any other high language & framework. In the last mod my cohort built projects using Ember, Node/Express, Python/Django, Mongodb and a bunch of non-curriculumn languages all while starting the job hunt.

Schedule:

I ended up spending 7 days a week working during each module, usually around six 11-hour days with one 6-hour day on the weekend - this schedule is roughly in line with those of all my cohortmates who graduated with me. During the 1 week intermissions between cohorts, I personally spent 4-5 days completing prework and doing extra research/going to tech meetups, and was able to take 4 days to decompress and show family and friends I was still alive.

Don't try to do this course if you're not going able to realistically dedicate a minimum of 65 hours weekly for 7 to 10 months (students often have to repeat modules, which I think is a great policy, as it promotes really learning material and makes sure grads leave truly ready to crush it in the job market).

Career:

The career support at Turing is phenomenal. You leave with a strong & well review resume, references from instructors & mentors you develop relationships with, Turing alum network, and most likely a strong personal website to show off your projects.

I graduated in early June, worked really hard sending out resumes, going to meetups and reaching out to alums who posted in the Turing jobhunt slack channel, and had 2 offers less than 30 days later. This is on the shorter side for the job hunt, but I felt very supported after graduating, and think the support increases the longer your job hunt streches out.

I'm working on a Rails API being used by mobile apps. The place I'm currently working is impressed enough with my work performance that they're already very open to the idea of hiring more Turing grads.

Turing is a lot and it is also amazing.

• Zachary Landes • Junior Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate

There is no place like Turing. They are building something new. A new way of thinking about education, about technology, and about how to survive in the modern age. It will push you in ways you have never been pushed. Before I went there, my first thought was 'Wow that seems like a lot of work and struggle'. IT IS. But the thing I didn't consider was that when you are surrounded by 100+ kids all going through the same struggle, it becomes a managable struggle. Not struggling feels weird. It makes sense to you to struggle.

One week after Turing I got a job offer. I got my foot in there door and I honestly feel like I learned how to play this system.

IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Not everyone gets through it. Everyone willing to drop everything and begin a whole new world wants to think that they are going to be the ones that make it through. But from my personal experience, among my friends who didn't finish or decided to leave, they didn't make it because they didn't like it, not because they couldn't do it. So try out coding before you take the leap.

If you like puzzles, if you like to connect things together. If you have some neurotic tendencies, you might be a good fit.

Also, from my experience, people who are go getters, extroverts, regardless of coding skill, were able to find jobs more quickly than introverted people. But again, my personal observation.

I cannot say enough good things about this school.

I'm really thankful for the supportive staff, the vibrant alum community and my cohort-mates who helped me through this.

• Back-end Program
    - 12/27/2017
    Whitney Smestad • Software Developer • Graduate

So I went through the Turing program in March of 2015; they just had the back-end program, no front-end yet.  I feel the investment of time and money into Turing is definitely worthwhile. I was in a situation where I was looking to change careers from nursing, and Turing was the perfect program to make that happen. I don’t feel the quick 6-8 week long bootcamps out there, are nearly enough to successfully help someone to change careers.

I will say, I was fortunate enough to complete the Turing program without repeating any modules. This was not true for a large part of the students while I was there. Any given week, plan on committing at least 60-80 hours of your time to the school. You’ll be in class for 40 hours during the week, but expect another 20-40 hrs on evenings and weekends to complete projects, struggle through problems, Googling the hell out the internet… To really succeed in the program, expect nearly everything else in your life to take a back seat. I do wondering how I would have reacted if I had to repeat a module. I found myself to be absolutely exhausted by the end. Many students at the school, while I was there, either had to repeat a module, or decided on their own to take a module off to regroup and have a break from it. That being said, taking a break wasn’t really an option for me, so I did push through and was burning the candle from both ends. I won’t comment on the instructors specifically, as several of them have moved on to other positions in the nearly 3 years since I was there. Reading other reviews though, it does sound similar in that they will throw students in the deep end for awhile and let you struggle. I think that’s a good thing though, people learn when they have to struggle to find the solution. If you’re not good at asking for help though, be ready to change, otherwise you’ll definitely drown over there in the deep end. As far as the emotional/mental health while you’re there, which is literally half the battle, if you don’t have a support system at home (which I did have), the instructors and staff at Turing were ceratinly there for students. You just have to know you can reach out, they can’t read minds if you’re struggling, whether that be technically or mentally/emotionally. Turing is one of the more difficult coding programs out there, hands down. Expect to work extremely hard. If you can do that, Turing is with out a doubt, worth it. I was utterly exhausted at times, I was miserable at times, I cried many times, and I constantly questioned whether I should be doing this, but I was able to make a very successful career change, and I felt extremely ready for the working world as a programmer. Hind sight is always 20-20, while in Turing, I struggled and therefore wasn’t the happiest person, but afterwards, working as a developer, I am extremely thankful of Turing and how they prepared me to be an effective developer.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

95% of job obtainers reported salaries.

• 71 enrolled students are covered in this report.
  • View Turing's Detailed Outcomes Summary here.
  • CIRR is a coalition of coding bootcamps that have adopted a standard for reporting, publishing, and marketing student outcomes. Read more about CIRR