thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.56

all (856) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (112) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, Excel, MySQL, Python, SQL
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

SQL, Python, MySQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Algorithms, Data Science, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Python, Spark, SQL
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

SEO, Growth Hacking, Digital Marketing, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Flex

React.js, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, React.js
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

Design, Front End, User Experience Design, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

User Experience Design, jQuery, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Design, CSS
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • Nina • Graduate

As I wanted to switch my career from Marketing to UX design, I decided to take on the UX design course at Thinkful. It was a great experience, with a great curriculum.The weekly 1 to 1's with your personal mentor are really helpful, as you discuss your coursework and you get an industry professionals feedback and insights about your work. The online course itself is also good, exercises are fun and insightful. Thinkful's UX design course is great because you also work on a couple of projects which you can actually use for your portfolio, which is one of the main reasons why I decided to go with Thinkful. Additionally, I thought the 'student service' was great: If you have any questions about payment, curriculum or anything else, they are quick to reply and help you the best they can. All in all a great learning experience!

• Thomas Riley • Graduate

I was hesitant about online learning before I started my courses with Thinkful. Thinkful has established a great support community through slack, Q&A sessions, and the invaluable 1x1 mentorship. My mentors throughout the courses were professional and informative. I would recommend it to anybody in the market, 10/10 in my book.

• Andrew C. • Designer

The Front End Development course was great! Definitely challenging. I had a great mentor in Morgan, who really helped me out whenever I got stuck or didn't really understand a concept. Doing some external reading/research will really help you out if you get stuck as well. I do wish there were a few video lessons though. That would've been nice. But I had a great time and learned a lot!

• Lisa • Educator • Student

I took Thinkful and was very excited to start. My first mentor call was challenging, at first she asked me questions to get to know me better and once I told her where I was from. She then took up the majority of the call telling me about how she lived in the same state and all the places she visited and aswesome things she did. At first it was nice but then she never moved on. I'm a school teacher and learn quickly but the course material was not user friendly. I noted to my mentor on my second call how words were mispelled on the weekly lessons and all they provided was steps and did not explain the purpose on why the material was provided. It was like insert code here, insert code in this other area but you never knew the reasoning behind it. My mentor again dominated the call with her weekend and didn't seem to want to discuss my coding fears. She advised that she was teaching a course at a college and was only the night before trying to get a lesson together. I was like huh?!? After the third call and her dominating the conversation with trivial facts, it was like we spent the entire call talking about her and she had the worse internet signal. In the end, I was paying for the course and she wasn't helpful at all so I requested another mentor. The second mentor was awesome and explained the lessons way better but still the course material that we worked on weekly did not provide any helpful instructions. I shouldn't have to wait until my phone call to get clarification. My mentor was great but I ended up leaving the program. I felt it was more of a code cash meal. I work in education and know when something has been poorly created and executed. I have a MS in Instructional Design and technology and create core content. They really need to retool the outdated resources on their website and at least provide instruction. Telling someone to go find the answer on the internet without even providing an explanation makes no sense. How about you give me a plausible solution and tell me to check the internet if I need further clarification. If you need a program that's gonna start ground up and build, this is not the program but if you have a basic coding background, this may work for you. I did not get to the job assistance art

• Matthew W. • Graduate

I had a great experience with my mentor, Alissa Pierce, and the UX Thinkful Course.  I took this course to refresh some of the traditional education I received a while back, to brush the dust off my UX training. There is a great amount of flexibility, in that the pacing of the course can be changed based on your availability.  The materials and links are rich with information.  My parting observation - the more time you put into the course, the more you will get out of it!

• Mason Harr • Graduate

I enjoyed The Frontend Web Development course at Thinkful. It challenged me, and the mentors kept you from getting stuck. The mentors really add so much value. They get excited for you doing well.

• Daniel Rosensweig • Freelance Musician (soon web developer?) • Student

I've been studying with Thinkful for around 2 months now, and I'm really enjoying it and learning a lot. I had more coding experience, I think, than many students coming in, which allowed me to sail through early lessons very quickly. Within a couple weeks, though, I was learning lots of new stuff. The curriculum is good, but there are other good curricula out there, often cheaper. The real game-changers for me were two things:

1) The capstone projects (you'll do three of them in the bootcamp), where you come up with your own independent ideas outside the curriculum and build it. These become portfolio pieces that you can be proud of, and show off to prospective employers. It makes a huge

2) The mentors. My mentor, TJ, has been amazing. In addition to just helping me understand issues I struggle with, and helping me get back on track when I get stuck, it's also a big help to have someone to hold me accountable for working every day. He has also become a friend over time. This one-on-one attention helps Thinkful escape the problems with many other online programs, that you're on your own and can easily run out of steam or motivation alone. There's also a Slack (group chat) team, where you can engage with other students and staff.  All mentors are not equal, though, and because the system is so dependent on that one-on-one attention, the experience could be very different with a different mentor. Keep in mind that you can request a new mentor at any time and for any reason, if the one you're originally assigned to doesn't meet your expectations. I recommend that new students take advantage of this option, until you find the mentor who's right for you.

Another aspect that was a deciding factor for me was Thinkful's job guarantee. They have a 94% placement rate for graduates into full-time jobs in their field of study. That's pretty impressive! Though not 100%, it's high enough that Thinkful is willing to refund your money, if you're in the 6% that don't find jobs in the end, so it's low-risk. The program will quickly pay for itself if you do find a full-time web developer job, of course, as it's a well-paid field. That 93% is for students who graduate within the expected 6 months, who find a full-time job in the field within 6 months after graduating. I've had an initial meeting with one of Thinkful's career counselors, soon after starting the program, and they gave me some good advice for moving forward. I can't really evaluate that part of the program yet, though, as I haven't gotten to the point where that's a primary focus, or seriously started looking for a job.

A couple caveats about the job guarantee: it applies only if you complete the course within 6 months, and if you live in an area where tech jobs are available. If you mention the job guarantee in your initial meeting to talk about Thinkful (which you can do for free, and without commitment), they'll explain this to you and tell you whether your area qualifies, but I think most metro areas are good. If you live out in the sticks, don't count on their guarantee. The trickier part is graduating within 6 months. I noticed that their graduation rates are considerably lower than their job placement rates (among graduates.) If you do graduate, but not within 6 months, you're still pretty likely to find a job but they won't guarantee it. And if that's an important aspect to you, plan on treating the expected 20-25 hours per week as a bare minimum, and going well beyond it whenever you can.

After spending a couple months in this program, I highly recommend it. I've come a long way since I started.

• Joe H.

For anyone considering taking a programming bootcamp, you'll find Thinkful's among the best, and most challanging programs online period!

The one thing I appreciated the most about their programs are the 1-1 mentors you'll be assigned to as soon as you sign up to one of their bootcamps, like my mentor Morgan, who'll help you break down evrery challange, problem, or obstacle, until you're able to solve it on your own, or he'll walk you through the solution, and answer any questions you may have. He'll will also assess your progress and suggest other useful tools or references that will help you get a better understanding of whatever area you're struggling with!

And if you still need some more help, their daily held Q&A sessions and their active coding community on Slack, are always available to help out with any coding problems, and to give you any advice or feedback that you may need!

• Bootcamp Review
    - 12/21/2016
    Bernadette Kelly • Student

My first few weeks with Thinkful have been very fulfilling. The support network is strong and incredibly encouraging. As someone with no former coding experience, I am grateful for the structure of this program because it provides a path to a new career and new experiences. Learning web development is hard, but Thinkful acknowledges that and does everything possible to help along the way.

• Brice Christian • Student

Before enrolling at Thinkful, I had done a pretty thorough investigation of programs that would best meet my needs. With only about a month of coding experience, only about 20 hours to spare a week with coding after working and a four month old baby girl, you can say I needed a pretty flexible program to meet my needs. I also wanted a program that would intentionally invest in me as a student and not just stick a video or book in front of my face and expect me to learn. I was for sure that intentionality and an online program wouldn't mix, until I came across Thinkful. Thinkful uses a mentor-mentee model that capitalizes on some of the perks of being in person and learning, and combines it with the flexiblity of learning online at your pace. I'm about a month in, and I've seen my mentor over a dozen times through live video chat and numerous other program mentors (Program Mentors and Career Mentors). My mentor, Aleksandar Grbic, has been incredible. From working with my crazy schedule to being available for me at a moments notice. Not once have I felt like I'm alone on this journey. The resources Thinkful and Aleks have provided me with have been above and beyond to make sure I succeed. No program is perfect, but this is about as close as you'll come to finding an intentional, flexible, and resource packed program to make sure you get a job.

• Edgar M • Student

I couldn't be more happy with the experience that I am having with this course. Being that I am in a situation where I need to keep my current job because of financial obligations and a limited budget, Thinkful flex-bootcamp was the exact solution that I was looking for. By face value, Thinkful flex-bootcamp seemed too good to be true, especially with their job placement gaurantee. But with the tools and their community helped me to be 4 weeks ahead of schedule. Please don't get me wrong, the course work itself is very demanding of my time and with having a full-time job does not make it easy. It requires a lot of drive, dedication, and self motivation to learn a large amount of information in a short time frame. Thinkful does help in guiding you and motivating you through the course work.

Thinkfuls course does a good job taking you step by step, from the basics to more advanced skills, in a orderly and reasonable fasion. I am a huge advocate for the project based learning which Thinkful is all about. They have you learn by making projects and using tools that are very common for programmers to use. When you get stuck on an issue they have a slack channel, Q&A sessions, workshops, and personnel mentorship.

Personally, I think the gold nugget of this program is having the personnel mentor sessions to help you with the exact problems that you are having with your project. My mentor has helped me through many issues, especially with the larger concepts. We spend however long we would like on one issue, or cover mutiple issues. Basically whatever you need to cover I know I have my mentor to clarify my issues with my project and get feedback from my work. And if I need help with an issue right away they have their slack channel that has a community of mentors ready to help you out.

I am very happy so far with what I have experience in this flex-bootcamp. The course work and community help is great. I am currently on the backend course work of Node.js and hopefully start my fullstack project soon. I cannot say anything about their job placement program yet but maybe when the time comes I can update you all on that part of the program.

I recommend this program for people who are in my situation financially and professionally. But please be prepared to dedicate a lot of time outside of work (including weekends) if you want to graduate within the 6 month time frame for the flex-bootcamp. There is a lot of material that needs to be covered and a lot of research and readings that are required. If you are highly motivated to learn the material then you should be in good shape in taking this course.

• Not just for n00bs
    - 11/30/2016
    Gene M. Angelo, Jr. • Senior Web Application Developer/Architect/Consultant • Graduate

I'm a seasoned software developer/architect/consultant with over 20 years experience under my belt, and I'm a satisfied (returning) Thinkful customer. Technology moves at the speed of light; Thinkful courses keeps me both current and marketable. I don't have time to scrub the internet looking for resources to help me learn a particular language, platform or technology. Thinkful courses are exactly what I've been looking for; they are expertly outlined, lessons are segmented into managable, bite-sized pieces, professional, insightful mentors who take your learning style and experience (of the lack thereof) into account. Thinkful just works for me. Did I mention the Thinkful Staff is incredible too? Whatever you're at, Thinkful will meet you there, and help you reach your technological goals. Higly recommend.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here