thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, and product management. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (536) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (80) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, Data Visualization, SQL, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    Start Date January 2, 2020
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
    January 2, 2020 - Online Apply by December 11, 2019
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/pricing/#financing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date December 2, 2019
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
    December 2, 2019 - Online Apply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - Online Apply by November 18, 2019
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date December 2, 2019
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/nights-weekends/#pricing
    December 2, 2019 - Online Apply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - Online Apply by November 18, 2019
  • Product Design Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/product-design/flexible/#pricing
  • Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.

• Anonymous • Primary School Teaching Assistant • Student

Are you totally intimidated by the phrase "Full Stack Web Developer"? I was too. Thinkful's entire Slack community dispelled my fears. Anytime I had a question, Thinkful was there to point me in the right direction. Anytime I was worried about career options or needed further support, Thinkful was there. My mentors were all engaged and helpful, and when (due to scheduling conflicts) I needed to switch to a new mentor in my first few weeks of the course, the mentorship manager was immediately on it to get me the connection I needed. The career services team is up-front, kind and thorough, and I have every confidence that they will be able to place me in the right network as I move past graduation.

• Timothy  User Photo
    Timothy • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently in the midst of the full stack flex program at Thinkful. While I had tried learning on my own through the many websites that are available to learn web development I always felt something was missing. That is until I found Thinkful and it's 1 on 1 mentor sessions it has greatly improved my understanding of web development and I can not stress how useful it is to get instant feedback and help that my mentors have provided for me so far. They ask me questions to make sure I understand the material as well which I feel has really helped to squash the dreaded 'imposter syndrome' because they give me the opportunity to show to myself that I know what I am talking about. On top of that, the projects that are giving are fairly open-ended allowing you to be creative with only guided lessons to help you take a project from the planning stage to completed app. On top of all that each lesson is ended with a mock interview which not only helps get rid of 'imposter syndrome' but also helps to get me ready for the real interviews to come. While I am only in the middle of the material right now I feel extremely confident that after I graduate I will be able to get a job as a web developer thanks to Thinkful.

ps. Job Support is listed n/a only because I haven't utilized it at this time.

• Sreyas  User Photo
    Sreyas • Student Verified via GitHub

Pros: Great community where you can post your questions when you are stuck while learning and you get response quickly

Good learning content

Coding challenge helps to understand the concepts better

Mock interview prepares you for the real world

Cons:

Overpriced

• Ari Simon  User Photo
    Ari Simon • Student Verified via GitHub

I love this boot camp. I was a bit tentative in deciding whether or not to do this boot camp due to the fact that I was already employed full-time. The prospect of having 25-30+ hours a week of coding on top of my already busy schedule was something that I had to get used to but when it comes down to it,  I haven't regretted my decision one bit.

There is no doubt that the material is difficult and having to manage my time has been something I have struggled with. The curriculum itself is awesome (though hard!) and the drills and projects I have done so far have provided me with a great base to build upon as I continue through the course. I really feel that when I finish, I will have the knowledge and skills to pursue a career in web development.

More than anything, I cannot be more grateful for the support that I have found in the Thinkful community. From my mentor who has gone out of her way no matter the hour to help me with bugs and broken code to the Slack community of other mentors/developers/students who are always available to answer my questions or give me feedback when it's most needed.

For anyone that is looking for a great program that is flexible but challenging, look no further!

• Nathan Garrett  User Photo
    Nathan Garrett • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Thinkful has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I've done a lot of challenging things so far at the age of 25, i've owned 2 businesses, am a marine corps veteran, and now graduate of Thinkful and found my way into the tech industry working professionally now. I started full stack immersive class at the end of September and graduated mid-february. The cirriculum is very thorough and constantly updated making you the most modern dev when you go into interviews. The languages/frameworks the other applicants are talking about trying to learn, you already know in depth from Thinkful. The 2 best things about Thinkful though I have to say, is the mentors, program managers and the people you are surrounded by on a daily basis and the fact that you not only learn to be a modern full stack web developer, but you always learn HOW TO learn which was huge for me. Tech is constantly changing and I wanted the ability to be able to learn, grow, and adapt to this changing field and Thinkful helped me do that by teaching me how to learn and pick up new languages, frameworks, etc. I will end this review by making one last, important statement... only join this course if you intend to give your 120% all day every day. If you don't put in maximum effort, you won't get maxiumum return. As well as hindering the experience for your fellow classmates which isn't fair to them either. I never ran into this issue at all and still regularly communicate with my fellow cohort, but it's important for you all to work hard and never give up on yourself or each other. In the full stack immersive you'll feel like you're living with these people with 6 months and grow fantastic relationships with them along the way.

• Hadas Ben-Tsur  User Photo
    Hadas Ben-Tsur • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently attending the online Full Stack Flex program with Thinkful. I participated in another in-person bootcamp elsewhere and found it really lacking as concepts weren't explained thoroughly and instructors/staff weren't around often enough to help me through tough assignments. So I found Thinkful through Course Report!

At Thinkful the course curriculum is so thorough that I'm able to tackle a good 70% of it on my own. They provide so many additional resources if you want to dig deeper or if you need help understanding a concept. Besides the fantastic material, there are also many Q+A sessions throughout the day. If I'm ever stuck on a problem for more than an hour I hop into a Q+A session and am guided in the right direction. I've been in many of these sessions and interacted with many of the instructors and each one helps put me on the right track without handing me the answer or making me feel stupid for not knowing something. I also have an incredible mentor I meet with twice a week on a video chat where we go over my homework and any questions I have.

There's also a strong focus on job eligibility between mock interviews that are part of your course requirements, career Q+A sessions offered several times a week, and the capstone projects that are great additions to a portfolio.

I'm so grateful to have found Thinkful through Course Report! I find myself facing mental challenges I never experienced before yet it's all good because the Thinkful structure and team is encouraging through every step.

• Matt Palumbo  User Photo
    Matt Palumbo • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I signed up for the Flexible Full Stack JavaScript course.  I found the material to be extremely relevant in terms of the job market and incredibly thorough.  I ventured out many times to find other takes on the concepts they were teaching especially in regards to the Computer Science material and every single time I found that their code was the cleanest, most concise, and most elegant.  They updated the material very regularly which impressed me. You work with mentors 3x / week via Slack or some other vid chat for an hour at a time.  I worked with 2, they were both very seasoned and knowledgable programmers and web developers.  The last one I worked with was working for a startup in the Netherlands before he came back to the states to work for Nike (he knew his stuff).  The program director I worked with (Derek Forge) was an awesome and amazing guy (also extremely seasoned developer) and was always eager to help and available to chat.  My career coach Jen worked with me weekly.  She really helped me put out a professional resume and had great advice to help get me a job.  Overall I was extremley happy with my experience there.  I really their curriculum is top notch.

• Lindsey  User Photo
    Lindsey • Technical Writer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My overall experience as a Thinkful student was incredibly positive.  I originally started with Thinkful in their Full Time Web Development program.  The instructors for the full time program are very knowledgable and take the time to focus on each team's projects and progress throughout the course.  There is also a TA assigned to each cohort who is available to help outside of designated daily class hours.

After completing the 3-week prep course and about 2 weeks of the full time schedule, I switched over to the Flexible Web Development program.  I was able to stay with the same mentor who I initially started with and still had access to all of the great resources that Thinkful provides, like QA sessions, Workshops, a designated Program Manager, and multiple Slack channels connecting me with fellow Thinkful students.

The curriculum that Thinkful lays out for each section provides a great foundation for full stack web development.  Before Thinkful, I taught myself HTML, CSS, and some basic JavaScript.  I drastically increased my programming skills and understanding over the past six months, learning both front- and backend JS frameworks and libraries.

A couple of aspects that really set Thinkful apart from other bootcamps are their individualized care for each student and their one-on-one mentor program.  Having the opportunity to speak to a professional programmer 3 times a week was invaluable.  My mentor helped me make sense of concepts I struggled with and guided me back on track when I was working through the curriculum and 3 capstone projects.  Each student at Thinkful is also paired with their own Program Manager who helps you with any concerns you might have about your progress or to just check in to see how things are going with you.

If you're weighing your coding bootcamp options and you are looking for a program that has fine-tuned (and continuously improves) the online bootcamp experience, seriously consider going with Thinkful.  I don't think I could have achieved such success and have been able to change careers if it had not been for Thinkful.

• Excellent Course!
    - 2/26/2018
    Jason  User Photo
    Jason • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a professional educator, and I know that learning in this model, with self-directed projects alongside a mentor, is the most effective way to learn.The course material is well organized, appropriate, and challenging, and the mentor sessions are invaluable. I love the flexibility in the Full Stack Flex program. I coded 15 years ago in Java, and now need to go back to some basics to get back up to web dev speed, and I appreciate the combination of basics and advanced concepts as well as the ability for me to speed up or slow down as needed. I recommend Thinkful's Flex program for anyone that wants to learn the most up-to-date web development with the most flexibility.

• Great Course
    - 2/24/2018
    Bryan Corder  User Photo
    Bryan Corder • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Coming from a business background with only cursory knowledge of Python and Statistics, I probably have to work harder and longer than everyone else, but found my mentor supportive in guiding me through the curriculum and pointing me in the right direction so I didn't waste too much time going on tangents. There are a number of bootcamps popping up in person and online, and I haven't tried them so I can't do a direct comparison, but Thinkful's emphasis (compared to the curriculum of others) on putting together real projects drew me to the course, and I believe my Capstones will demonstrate my capabilities to potential employers. The capstones will get me in the door and the intensive mock interviews will get me the job. It's well worth the investment.
  • Brittany Renz-Lopez  User Photo
    Brittany Renz-Lopez • Student Verified via GitHub

Before finding Thinkful I was lost, uncertain of what I would make of my future. I had drive but I did not know where to apply it or what my prospects were of achieving purpose or success in any of the options that were put before me career-wise. I have since found that guidance in Thinkful via my wonderful mentor (shoutout to Aaron) and the excellent support system that makes up the rest of the community. The curriculum and resources are very thorough and the staff is very accommodating. I have found great benefit from the program as a whole so far and would recommend it to anyone seeking a career in web development or feeling lost as I once was.

• Tyler  User Photo
    Tyler • Student Verified via LinkedIn

So far I am about a month and a half into Thinkful's flexible web development boot camp. I am just finished my first big project and I am finishing up the introductory section. I have had a great experience with Thinkful so far. When you have a question that needs to be answered quickly you can go to the Slack community where there are mentors that will answer your question very fast. If you have a more in-depth question there are Q & A sessions going on all day long on various topics that you can jump into via video chat to get your question answered. Finally, you have 3, hour-long sessions with your mentor each week to go over what you are learning. The mentor meetings are extremely valuable. My mentor has helped to clear up topics that I have been confused about.

I can't give an accurate rating of the job support as I haven't reached that point in the course yet. Although, if it is anything like the support I have received so far then I know I won't be disappointed. If you are thinking about joining Thinkful and want to talk to a current student, feel free to email me at strtzy91@gmail.com.

• Best Decision
    - 11/17/2017
    Donald Dobbin  User Photo
    Donald Dobbin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Applying to Thinkful was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I completed the full-time fullstack JavaScript course in August 2017. It was a huge time commitment, but I was lucky enough to be able to give the course 100% attention. I probably put a minimum of 40 hours a week for the entire length of the course. If you put in the time and work, and have a passion for becoming a developer, this is definitely the place for you.

The teachers were great, the mentor system was amazing, and the Thinkful network is absolutely incredible. If I ever needed help or advice on something, I would be able to reach out to someone and get an answer or pointed in the right direction in a timely manner. I would say the thing that I was most impressed with was the effort so many people put in during the job search. I would get slack messages a few times a week with job postings that fit what I was looking for. One of those slack messages ended up being the job I accepted! I hit a bit of a snag during my job search and my career coach revamped my resume and I believe it really helped me finding my eventual job.

Expect to learn a ton of new stuff, really really quickly. It can get overwhelming but all you have to do is keep moving forward. Let people know if you're not understanding the material, the last thing you want to do is fall behind. Everything will come together in the end, you just have to work hard every day for the enitre length of the course.

• Stacer  User Photo
    Stacer • Chemist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Pros:

I was looking into online courses for data science for two reasons: No.1 I didn't have any actual programming experience and this is becoming a very trendy direction to catch on. Maybe not for new jobs or career shift, I wanted to learn new stuff always. No.2 I do want to know if changing career after three years full time with science background would be a great option for me.

I found Thinkful on Meetup and I signed up for free course and info session in downtown Atlanta, GA. I found I was sitll intereted in the course so that I signed up prep course which helped me to get some shadows on data science, especially to know a little about python and the toolkit.

My mentor Hallie, who walked me through a lot during our chat sessions. Three time a week was a little too much for me as I was doing part time jobs while looking for new jobs. After four weeks I finished my tiny capstone in which I truly learned a lot as a beginner. I already shared and referred 10 friends to Thinkful. In the mean time I found a great new job then I will be more confident to enroll to the bootcamp.

If you are a zero background beginner like me, the prep course is a real trail for you to know if you are a good fit. Without this, I wouldn't have known a lot of people out there keep learning new things and you will have chances to connect with your mentor and expand your network as well.

Since I don't need it to find a job but surprisingly I will need python in the new job and I just learned it a bit earlier.

Cons: (Not cons exactly)

You do need to invest a LOT of time and energy before stepping into the bootcamp while doing your full-time job.

• A.L.  User Photo
    A.L. • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I picked Thinkful because I didn't want to quit my day job.. and it turned out to be a great choice!

Your experience with the program will very much depend on the quality of your mentor. You are expected to have three 1-on-1 meetings per week, for 1 hour each. The best use of the time is to make sure you establish goals with the curriculum, then come to the meeting with questions. Aside from the curriculum, you can ask your mentor about the industry or CS theories.

After graduation, you are matched with a career coach to help with your resume, LinkedIn, cover letter,etc etc... and to help you stay on track with the requirements for the money back graduante. Like your mentor, the career coach is very helpful and friendly with advices. Thinkful will try to introduce you to 3 companies.. but I didn't need this service so I can't comment much on it. I found a Web Developer job with a good company within 2 months after graduation (4 months in total as I started job searching before graduation as well).

The Thinkful community is also very good. I had an alumni reaching out to me to offer helps if needed. I also reached out to an alumni when I noticed he work at a company I was applying for, and he didn't mind giving me an introduction.

Overall, I would recommend this to my friends or others who are serious about a career change.

• Simran Gill  User Photo
    Simran Gill • React-Native Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience with Thinkful has been great. The skills and technologies that i picked up these past months have really helped me understand complex libraries and frameworks. My honest adivse to anyone thinking of taking Thinkful or any other  bootcamp would be that, you have to make it a habit to  f**king code day and night. It is the only way to stand out once you come out of one.  Another thing I really liked about Thinkful is that even now that i have a job, i can pop into their Q/A  sessions and ask questions about things that still may be new to me. As for their staff, they are all really nice and considerate. They really do try their best to help you stand on your feet as a developer, so hats off the to staff.

• William Huang  User Photo
    William Huang • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into Thinkful's program with zero prior programming knowledge. I used their prep course as an opportunity to figure out whether I'd like programming, and then completed the full-time full-stack program. I started my job as a web developer last week - it took a total of ~3 months for me to get a good offer. The TL;DR is that I had an excellent experience with Thinkful and would recommend it to anyone.

Thinkful is a remote-only program, which I thought might be problematic at first but didn't turn out to be much of a problem. The curriculum is constantly being iterated on, and - in my opinion - reflects a lot of thought about how to learn effectively (pair programming, a focus on creating projects, etc.) I think it covers all of the important building blocks for developers and prepares you on the relevant areas of knowledge for developers (e.g., common Git/Github practices). In terms of mentorship and resources, it's quite clear that Thinkful provides as much additional help as you want - "help" being one-on-one time with developers that have been in the industry, teaching you how they'd do something.

The curriculum uses JavaScript (through Node.js) on the back-end as well, which I think is a bit of a trade-off - it is much easier to handle learning just one language, but I saw few companies that use Node. I don't think this is a major issue - you can advertise your general knowledge of back-end, and typically I don't think companies hire junior developers with the thinking that they need to know the specific server-side technology already. I'm also not sure if there are any bootcamps that offer a significant improvement in this regard.

I am really happy with the position I have now, but it did take longer than I would've liked to get a position. Some of that was probably some bad luck, and I was happy with the career support Thinkful provided. The career services group knows what they're doing - I came out with what seemed like every box ticked off (a portfolio of projects, a tuned resume, a presence on LInkedIn and Angellist). Thinkful also provides you invaluable access to a career coach for weekly sessions, and continues to give you access to mentors if you want to polish up the coding side.

• Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Front end developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was accepted in the Nov '16 cohort that finished this past March '17. Prior to Thinkful, my coding experience was negligible, though I had a good deal of advanced math. Four months after completion I received a job offer as a front-end developer and successfully made career shift from a previously non-technical role.

In short, the staff and instructors were lovely people who knew their stuff. Thinkful's dedication to their student's success was clear. I loved the individualized mentor relationship. This is a person who not only helps you with day to day issues, but also with longer term goals, strategies, and struggles.

Special shout out to manager Theresa, instructor Ben, TAs Alex and Sidharth, and my mentors Jason and Jennifer.

Regarding the online experience, Thinkful did a great job overcoming the difficulties inherent in online education. 98% of the time, everything wen smoothly. The majority of the curriculum was great, with the rare exception of 4 or 5 days out of 4 months where my partners and I would lose confidence in the lesson plan and abandoned it for some self-study alternative. However, Thinkful seems very open to feedback and I've since learned that Thinkful has reworked some of the lesson days.

In total, I'm grateful of my Thinkful experience and highly recommend them.

• Ben Altieri  User Photo
    Ben Altieri • Operations Manager • Student Verified via GitHub

I have been a student at Thinkful for a little over a year in the Python Programming course.  I am 50 years old, married with a couple of kids.  I also have a demanding job in IT at a company in the Boston area.  I highly recommend Thinkful because of the immersion that is difficult to reproduce any other way.  The immersion consists of a dedicated mentor who will colllaborate with you as you learn how code and how to properly communicate with others on your programming projects using tools such as Github and TravisCI.  In the process, I learned skills and vocabulary have become second nature.  As a Thinkful student, you will not only learn how to code, but also how to speak the language which is an invalubale skill required to land coding jobs as a freelancer or a full time developer.  The assignments can seem daunting at first, but the Thinkful mentors I worked with helped me get over that initial fear of what I didn't know when I started the course. Even though I had a hectic schedule, I did manage to finish the Thinkful Python Programming course.  Sign up and make the commitment and you will be surprised how much you can learn and develop your skills. Learning never stops.  It is a life long process.  Thinkful is like vitimins for your professional growth.

• Derek D.  User Photo
    Derek D. • Student • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently still working with Thinkful after the phase I introduction phase and this has been the best experience to date to learn programming.

I have tried other programs to learn the same material but for some reason the way Thinkful teaches just sticks with me the best.  The combination of reading and applying that knowledge I find to be the best way to progress effectively.

Have the one on one mentor time I think is one of the best parts about this program.  As an introvert, I struggle in larger class settings but having one person to talk to about what I am working on works for me very well.  I find that am able to ask all the questions I may have been hesitant in a classroom setting and thus I am moving forward to ideally become a software engineer.

• Tanner Gill  User Photo
    Tanner Gill • Frontend Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

4 months ago I was working behind the bar one of my favorite places to be, my place of work, a hip and trendy coffee shop in the Downtown area of San Diego. I've often considered school to study computer programming, but more often than not the idea seem unachievable. In my area there are many developers, often filtering in and out my store, sparking my interest yet again in web development. Through them I learned of FreeCodeCamp.com which rapidly became my second favorite place to be as I began learning the basics of HTML/CSS. After spending a few hours every evening working on fun little projects for my photography friends and I, I decided to take it more seriously, I just didn't know how. After expressing my interest and enthusiasm with the before mentioned developers filtering in and out of my shop, I learned about the concept of a boot camp. Having experience with unconventional forms of learning, having been home schooled most of my life, the idea intrigued me, and I started entertaining the idea by researching programs in my area. After touring a place or two, having a few discussions with friends of mine (one of which an employee of GitHub), I kept hearing about Thinkful, the online alternative.

Thinkful's course covers fullstack JavaScript development. They focus on the idea of project based learning all the while being taught by personable instructors and guided by a mentor assigned to you in the beginning of the camp. Through the instructors I learned new concepts, through my fellow students I learned how to "speak code" and work with other developers, and through my mentor I learned new ideologies for troubleshooting issues, new resources for learning, exciting new technologies, and recieved help on my personal projects.

Two weeks before graduating the program I was recommended by my program manager to a company out of San Francisco who was in the market for a Junior Developer, and got the job. I am now no longer working behind the bar at that hip and trendy coffee shop, instead i'm working infront of it in the tables I once served. The transition from barista to developer has been a wild one, but I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Jamie Wang  User Photo
    Jamie Wang • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If anyone is looking for a professional, supportive, and effective coding bootcamp, particularly in the DC area, Thinkful is the best place! I came here on a complete career switch and wanted not only a school with a robust curriculum but also one that could provide me with effective career services and local networking opportunities. Thinkful's staff delivered on both of these and more. I had zero technical background or experience and managed to get hired before graduation thanks to Thinkful's help and encouragement on my portfolio, resume, and project management. Definitely a lot of hard work but totally worth it!

• Thomas Kastanek  User Photo
    Thomas Kastanek • Software Engineering Apprentice • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

In short: I had an extremely positive experience with Thinkful's Full-Time Web Development program and would highly recommend it to others. Thinkful is still a fairly young company and it does show--some of their material is not as polished as you'll see at more established companies like GA. However, it also means that they are much more flexible with the curriculum (which is a good thing).

When I went through the program they had just switched to full JavaScript front and back-end. While they do offer resources for learning Python and, I think, Ruby/Rails as well, I felt that the all JavaScript approach was excellent. The market is definitely moving in that direction and I was able to land a full-stack Software Engineering role before finishing the bootcamp and was able to dive into the code base and contribute production code very quickly thanks to what I had learned at Thinkful.

You'll have to make the decision whether the all-remote approach is right for you and, of course, you'll get out of the experience only what you're willing to put into it. But I found the support to be excellent and the all JavaScript approach is, IMO, the correct one.

• My Thoughts
    - 9/29/2017
    Shay Kennedy  User Photo
    Shay Kennedy • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Short Story:

Overall, I had a positive experience at Thinkful. I was in the 3rd cohort for the Full Time Full Stack program. I graduated in November 2016 and started a job on February 6th, 2017 as a Software Developer. I love my job and the company I work for and consider entering a bootcamp and getting into this career as the best professional decision I’ve made. I learned a ton while at Thinkful that directly contributed to me getting hired, specifically my React/Redux skills/experience.

Longer Story:

Like I mentioned earlier, my experience at Thinkful was very positive. There were a few things I didn’t necessarily agree with, but they collected feedback and you could tell were making efforts to improve their program (based on feedback) as we were going through. Since I’ve graduated, I’m sure a lot has changed and their program is even better. I learned a lot while I was there and it was very hard work, so expect to put in your best effort if you want to maximize the return on your time – this would likely hold true to any bootcamp. I thoroughly enjoyed what I was learning and put in many hours outside of the scheduled time. There were certainly times when it was frustrating because things just didn’t make sense, but once it started to click, it was amazing!

I specifically choose Thinkful for a few reasons. I was looking for an online program due to my geographical area (Phoenix, AZ) and the limited in-person options at that time. So, I wanted a bootcamp that specialized in online education, which I felt like Thinkful checked that box. I also wanted a program that was longer than the traditional programs. A lot of the bootcamps I saw were between 9 – 12 weeks and I just didn’t really feel like that was long. So, I was looking for something a bit longer, but not too long due to time constraints for myself and needing to get a job. (The longer you can spend learning, the better off you will be. To most of us, this stuff doesn’t come easy, especially in the beginning.) At the time, I think the Thinkful program ran 16 weeks, which I felt was much better than 12 weeks. Finally, I wanted a program that had a lot of resources. Thinkful had many resources, including: instructors, TAs, mentors, program managers, training sessions, open Q&A sessions, lectures, career advisors, and a lot more. I really think the amount of resources is one of the things that sets Thinkful apart from others and makes them a great program.

My Advice:

This advice applies to learning to become a developer and selecting a program in general and is not specific to Thinkful. From a cost perspective, there are a variety of options out there, some even free. So, depending on your situation, take into consideration what options would work best for you and make sure you understand what you are getting for your money. I am a believer in investing in yourself, but that’s just my opinion and you should do what’s best for you. When looking at different bootcamps, don’t be afraid to ask questions, even the tough questions. If they won’t give you answers, they probably aren’t worth your time (or money). This is a big investment in your time (and money), so you want to make sure everything is clear before you sign up for anything. After you do select a program, don’t hesitate to ask questions or raise concerns. In my opinion, a good program is one that would welcome feedback and the chance to make improvements that will be beneficial to their students. LASTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, once you start a program, work hard! Like really hard! It is not an easy journey and it shouldn’t be. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person, and it was very difficult for me. But I put in my best effort and it paid off, big time! Put in the extra hours, ask questions, ask for help, and try to help others (trust me, you’ll help yourself doing this). You don’t want to finish a program and look back with regrets on not trying harder. Like I said earlier, this is a big investment in your time (and possibly money), so maximize that investment the best you can.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions and I’ll do my best to respond. You can find me on LinkedIn.

Shay Kennedy

• John Knotts  User Photo
    John Knotts • software developer in training • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I’m about halfway through Thinkful’s Flexible Web Development Program and I’ve been really happy with it so far. After years of dabbling with tutorials and other programs, I think that Thinkful is finally the perfect fit.

The Node/Express/React curriculum is current and is exactly what I was looking for. The flexible schedule is still challenging enough to keep you moving forward, but also allows room for the important things in your life.

But the key for me has been having 3 mentor sessions a week. At every step of the way I have a knowledgable, experienced developer that can look at my code and let me know if I’m doing it “the right way” or there are some things to change or improve upon. I was always able to get through lessons in other programs, but I still never knew if what I was doing was really applicable in the real world. Now I know!

And all of this at about half the price of a traditional bootcamp!

It’s great to finally feel like I’m on the right track to a career as a software developer.

• Cameron  User Photo
    Cameron • none • Student Verified via GitHub

Thinkful has an amazing program. I chose to enroll in Thinkful's Flexible Web-Development Bootcamp after trying to learn web development on my own for about a year.  I was at the point where I wanted some mentorship or guidance on the decisions I was making since my projects were becoming more complicated.  I strongly feel that Thinkful was the best choice.  I say that based on an analysis of Thinkful's program of instruction based on the three components that make their program what it is; the people, the curriculum and how they are managed in the process of education.  Thinkful does a phenomenal job in all three areas.

From an administrative perspective Thinkful has always been prompt and accurate with billing and any questions that I have had. They offer a veteran’s discount which I appreciated.  The people on the staff are all professional and are located globally; so there is flexibility in scheduling your mentoring sessions.  I have worked with two mentors because I had a scheduling conflict with the first.  The change was smooth and I did not lose any momentum in my education.

The curriculum at Thinkful is focused on the Node stack and Javascript web development.  That should probably be your first consideration in choosing a school, do you want to learn their technology?  If you decide on Node you won't find any better school than Thinkful. I have seen the curriculum at another coding school and Thinkful's is far superior; the other school did nothing to explain the utility of Ruby's gem system and left a lot of the programming decisions to the "black box" of Rails. Thinkful walks through the components used at length.  Both in developing a CSS grid system and in the introduction to testing Thinkful's curriculum unpacked what was going on so that the final functionality was clearly understood based on how it was built.  I believe that it is better to understand than rely on a "black box" from your framework's package system, but that is only my opinion.

In the execution of the program the Thinkful team has been stellar as well; they really do function as an integrated team.  Due to travel I had to suspend my program a week and that was executed smoothly, so basic administrative functions are solid in this regard.  The sessions with my Mentors have always been professional and productive; they have been both attentive to my questions and able to guide the process.  As part of the education I have held three mock-interviews with other members of the staff, two where I had to perform coding demonstrations.  This was new to me and real value added, because it was hard, and something I could not have done on my own.  The evaluators were thorough and professional and demonstrated the high caliber of the Thinkful Team.  I have several interviews left in the program and I am confident that the future members of the staff that I interact with will be of equally high caliber.

Coding bootcamps are expensive but it is my opionion Thinkful is well worth the money.  That said you don't get handed anything, you have to work for it; Thinkful provides a comprehensive program that guides you along by focusing on the most important tasks needed to become competent in web-development using the Node stack.  I highly recommend the school.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

86% of job obtainers reported salaries.