thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, and product management. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (544) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (82) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, Data Visualization, SQL, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.

• Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.

• Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.

• Dustin  User Photo
    Dustin Verified via GitHub

I joined Thinkful's Flexible Bootcamp last November. It was very good at the beginning and I felt as though I was learning a lot. Once the course got to Node, I started to fall behind and I couldn't understand the lessons very well. My instructor, M____(want to keep his name anonymous), was definitely a good guy and very flexible with scheduling, but oftentimes would do things for me and not explain why he was doing things. There was a bit of a language barrier, too, which made communication difficult at times and limited his ability to explain.

I admittedly didn't have as much time as I would have liked to work on programming (averaged 15-20 hours/week), but I did go over the course material over and over to no avail. I found the Thinkful course material lacking, especially starting at Node and for React. There's a lot that's just glossed over. I guess you're expected to seek out the materials yourself but that's a bit unfair considering how much you're paying for the course.

I'm 2 months over the expected 6 months at this point after project requirement changes mid-course that also stalled my progress. For instance, you're expected to make a landing page for your projects now, a requirement added in at random. I understand they want us to have the best portfolio possible, but it's annoying when you're not given these expectations up front.

Two of my projects keep breaking at this point and I tried scheduling a time with my program manager but he blew me off yesterday. Not sure what to do at this point. I think most people would be better off self-learning through Udemy, Coursera, Pluralsight, and Stack Overflow, to be quite honest. I wanted to belive in Thinkful but I was pretty let down.

• Jami  User Photo
    Jami • Teacher, small business owner, soon-to-be Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

It's difficult to know where to start with an update on my review. I just recently graduated from Thinkful- because I was hired as a Junior Developer. SO much is going through my head as I write this review, but I will start with this: If you are considering bootcamp, Thinkful will help you reach your goals!

I started this program with a little experience in HTML & CSS. I didn't really understand either of them, if that helps you know what "a little experience" means, but I loved learning it. I was an elementary teacher, looking for a way to help provide for my family, love what I do, and not spend 70-80 hours a week trying to keep my head above water. I loved my students, but the workload was unsustainable. I wanted to connect my love for learning with my new-found fascination with writing code.

I knew that I could not truly learn to code and change careers on my own with the job I had, family, and other demands for time. I began looking into bootcamps, and was quickly discouraged at the time commitment and cost. But then I stumbled across part-time, or flexible, bootcamps. Thinkful was one of many that I considered and interviewed. Ultimately,  the staff, their system, and the job guarantee won me over. Every staff member with whom I spoke was helpful and informative. The system is set up for students to succeed. I found very few bootcamps that offered the amount of support Thinkful did- from 3 one-on-one mentor sessions weekly, to a program manager available any time, and career services to boot.

I spoke with career services very early on, and the person I spoke with strongly encouraged me to network. That is not something I enjoy or do well. However, because of the way she helped me understand its importance, I jumped out there and tried it. Eventually, it led to my first interview as a developer. And a position as a Junior Developer in a company I love.

I could not end this review without mentioning my incredible Mentor. My journey has not been all rainbows and cupcakes- I held down a full-time job, took care of my family, and often on my days off traveled to do teacher trainings. While learning Javascript. And jquery. And Node. And React. And so many things I thought I would NEVER actually "get". My mentor walked me through it, gave me specific exercises to help me understand, encouraged me, and told me when I needed to put forth more effort. On our last call, when I told him I appreciated him and could not have done this without him, he said, "Oh you definitely could. I was just here to be your sidekick and help you know you could." He is truly one of the greatest teachers, because he stuck it out with me even when I wasn't sure I could do this.

I am grateful for this experience and the opportunity to begin this exciting new career where I can, and will be expected to, learn constantly, be on a team making tools to share with the world, and solve incredibly complex problems. If that sounds exciting to you, call someone at Thinkful now!!

• Avi Zajac  User Photo
    Avi Zajac • Student Verified via GitHub

I want to disclose that the reason I am a current student at Thinkful is made fully possible through a full tuition scholarship recipient from Out in Tech. It has been a wild adventure to get to this point of my life and it's something I wake up every day to going, "Oh golly this really is still real and happening, that's so darling."

For anyone else like myself who really loves to break and find things, it truly is worth finding out how the folks who design the things that you like to break think. It also is most certainly helpful to be able to actually build that same thing from scratch beginning to end and ask yourself: is this actually secure, am I part of the problem, too? It has been an extroardinary experience working through that which I accept as a very happy challenge to myself.

Going into this program I knew I'd be going into a structured program with the trendy/popular full stack they're gearing students towards. What I didn't expect was for my mentor to figure out how I learn best, how I think or see problems, and use that to help me get a much richer and fuller understanding than the course itself alone. I'm a massive generalist so to have my mentor reach into my security and hacker community backgrounds to connect everything I know and the course together to fill in the gaps I do have has been absolutely wonderful.

The mentors are by far what truly make this program what it is for me. That's not to say the instructors and TA's aren't, they are most definitely that other huge chunk. Yet it really is up to you to decide on what path you want to take, what you want out of the program, and your mentor will be there to help guide you down the way you want to go.

Before I forget if you're in a Thinkful city like DC there are a lot of meet ups plus dinners for students and mentors together! They're absolutely darling and I highly recommend going to them even if you're not a registered student (for the regular public meet ups of course).

The full time program is intensive. If you come from prior experience, however, you may end some specific days during certain parts of the bootcamp earlier than expected. Especially if you know what '1=1' is for times you focus on databases. On the other hand you make up for it by helping other pairs understand it, working with your mentor on more advance concepts, and working on other things.

Paired programming is something I never got to truly experience growing up messing around in the way we work in the full time program. There is a really lovely mix if folks in my cohort when it comes to prior experience. Getting a chance to work with everyone whether they have a comp sci degree or are a former lawyer is really exciting to see what they bring with them to the program.

You learn a lot about yourself, I don't think I've self reflected nearly this much about myself in how I interact with people in a long while.

There's so much I want to talk about alas I think this is a long review already. If you really want to talk more about the program with me it shouldn't be that hard to reach me! Hope you all have a darling day.

• Tommy M.  User Photo
    Tommy M. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Thinkful Flexible Bootcamp for a little over a month now. I have learned so much within this short period of time with the very thorough curriculum, mentorship three times a week to help me work through my most recent problems, and the community that Thinkful has around it to propel me as a lifelong learner and student of software development. I took a lot of thought into picking a coding bootcamp that helped me accomplish my goals and flexible enough to give me the opportunity to grow as a programmer.

I highly recommend Thinkful for anyone who wants to level up their skills. Whether it's server-side programming, learning asynchronous programming, or learning how to solve software problems with algorithms and data structures. I have been coding little over a year now. Since being in this program, I have learned invaluable advice from some of the best in the field. With all this said,  this bootcamp gives an individual everything they need to succeed but it's up to the individual to apply and grow to acheive what they desire. Good luck and happy coding!

• Game Changer
    - 5/16/2017
    Jacob A.  User Photo
    Jacob A. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I would like to admit that I was a big skeptic of bootcamps and people claiming 'it was a life changing event for them', at first. Seemed like propaganda to me.

One day a friend came up to me and said that he had joined Thinkful, out of the blue mind you. Of course, this had me a little more interested in bootcamps, because now I had an inside voice and a test dummy for me. Win!

After hearing him talk about how great Thinkful is and showing me all that he has built in less than a month, I was in.

I knew I had to make a change in my career soon, and Thinkful did that just that and more for me.

After about 4 months in this course, I am still amazed how much I have actually learned in 4 months. 4 MONTHS. That is nothing realistically. But hear I am developing FULL_STACK apps, by myself and with others (pair programming is an indispensable skill to learn)!

Even though I am paying a tuition, I still think I won't ever be able to repay them for everything I have accomplished. From becoming a developer to all the way to learning how to work better with others, it is all thanks to them!

So if you are like I was, a skeptic, I would highly recommend you check out Thinkful.

If you have any questions about my experience at Thinkful or just want to talk more, please feel free to reach out to me on twitter: https://twitter.com/jacoboutlaw or on my LinkedIn ^

• Hazel D.  User Photo
    Hazel D. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Before my first day of learning at Thinkful, I had minimal knowledge on programming. I dabbled with some exercises in Free Code Camp and Codeacademy, but I felt that I would personally benefit from a mentor who could help me further understand the logic of the code, answer my questions, and recommend best practices. I looked through a variety of online and on-site programs and thought that Thinkful fit my needs: it offered a flexible track (which was ideal since I worked full-time), emphasized the mentor-mentee model, had a supportive community both online and on-site, and a team from career services to guide you on the job hunt. ​

I found Thinkful's curriculum to be organized and straightforward. They lay out the basics and take you through advanced lessons with examples and exercises. They also have assignments and capstones that help you really solidify what you have learned while being creative with your personal projects (which is always fun!).

I will say that there were some topics that I thought could have been explained clearly and thoroughly. With that, you would need to constantly use Google, StackOverflow and other resources to research topics that may seem unclear. To add onto this, you have your mentor, Thinkful/Slack community and Q&A sessions hosted by mentors on a variety of topics that you can turn to for questions; they are usually very responsive and helpful.

As many reviews here have said, this curriculum will be difficult at times. Given that there is so much to learn in a short amount of time, it is completely understandable that anyone can feel frustrated or overwhelmed (I know I did!). But don't give up! Throughout this track, you would need to stay patient, dedicated and willing to work hard. It will pay off nicely in the end, especially when you complete those capstones.

Instructors/Community:

Students get an hour-long mentor session three times a week. Mentor sessions could include anything from curriculum Q&As, coding exercises/pair programming, or interview prep. My mentor Aleksandar Grbic has been nothing short of amazing. As someone who comes from a background completely unrelated to tech, I first felt intimidated by all the new information. Alex has helped me better understand programming concepts by offering clear explanations. For instance, I started off from "What is an object??" to building projects that use them. He has been patient, thorough, understanding, and would offer advice on real-world expectations in the world of web development, which is extremely valuable.

This may vary by city, but we have a local Thinkful group managed by the awesome Peter Kim in Atlanta, GA. We meet bi-weekly to meet other Thinkful students and mentors, showcase capstone projects (and gaining feedback), go through coding challenges, and ask mentors questions. We also learn more about the local tech industry through meet-ups/events or job opportunities shared by mentors and students. I love my Thinkful family and their passion for coding. I would say that our meetings have truly enriched my experience.

While I am not yet at the point of working with the career services team, I have participated in a web conference that interviewed Thinkful graduates about their experiences on finding jobs. Overall, it seemed like a positive experience. I could also note other instances where people from the Thinkful community have assisted in making the job hunt easier. On Slack, students would post their resumes or portfolio pages for review and receive feedback. In my local Thinkful group, we would share opportunities to attend recruiting events together. There were also some mentors who would assist you in finding leads in some companies.

I'm currently on my fourth month of the flexible web development track, and looking back, I have to say that I definitely learned so much that I can now confidently create awesome projects that I am passionate about. Because of its dedication to student success, I would highly recommend Thinkful.

• Jeremy A.  User Photo
    Jeremy A. • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Background:

A close friend of mine at work very randomly one day said to me "Jeremy, you are way too smart to be stuck working here for the rest of your life.  I was reading an article about computer coding a couple days ago, I think you should check it out."  To say computer coding was not on my radar, would not even give that under statement a fair shot as an under statement.  Let's more accurately describe my knowledge/interest in computer coding ..... I have never one time in my entire life given it an iota of thought, until Kenny approached me with the suggestion.  So, self-inventory time, as I'm sitting at home, a few hours after Kenny had unkowingly changed the path of my existence.  Wife-yes, Offspring-yes, Mortgage-yes, Work Stability-yes, Great Friends-yes, Basic Needs Met-yes, Good Health-yes, Complacent-yes, Lackadaisical-Yes, Indifferent-Yes Uninterested-yes.  Immediately all neon arrows were pointing to the only part of my life that wasn't seemingly perfect, causing the last 4 inventory items to be Yes.  I had been working the same brain-dead job for 7 years, and I was wasting away mentally without realizing it.  So, yeah .... let's give computer coding a shot.

The Course:

Currently, I am 35 years old.  The first 25, I spent nearly the entire year freezing to death, in nowhereville Michigan.  The last 10, I have spent nearly the entire year sweating to death, in nowhereville Florida.

The above statement at first glance, will more often then not, be perceived as a negative statement, because of three words.  Human nature teaches us that freezing and sweating, and of course death, are not good things.

Currently, I am 35 years old.  The first 25, I spent nearly the entire year cozied up next to the fireplace, in nowhereville Michigan.  The last 10, I have spent nearly the entire year basking in the beautiful sun, in nowhereville Florida.

Not so bad after a couple replacements were inserted, eh?

I've been in the Flexible Web Development Bootcamp for just over 2 months.  I quickly learned that if this is not something that you very very very very much, deep down, have the passion to apply/challenge/dedicate/sacrifice/trust yourself, to name a few ..... then you're going to view this job field as the first description of FL/MI.  But, for me ... a fire has been lit.  I have never been so enthralled and full of life, in my life.  This short journey has already brought back so much of what I forgot I had inside of me, LIFE! I'm alive again, not some dope wandering through every single day, waiting for the yearly vacation. My wife asked me, "Honey, why did you wait so long? You are a different person!" That's a good question, but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

It's all the things that you would expect from a career with endless potential in a multitude of different arenas, nothing will be handed to you on a silver platter.  This is something you take, you go get it, and you take it, and you don't slow down or stop until you get it.  I'm not there yet, but I will be, .... oh, I will be.

Mentors:

B. Bowers is my mentor.  He is one of the coolest, most laid back, unfair to the rest of society level of brilliant dudes that I have ever met.  I have only known him for a little over 2 months and I look forward everyday, to our time spent intensely obsessing over whatever we are working on at the moment, both of us so locked into working the problem until it's solution is found.  Then we enjoy a tiny shared victory, and right back in we go.  He's the epitomy of the calm during the storm, he'll repeat the same thing to me as calm and slow the 7th time as he did the 1st. time he said it.  Geniune care and concern for my well-being, and for the well-being of my future and that of my family, oh and btw, he is also brilliantly and seamlessly walking me properly/purposefully/perfectly into one of the most thought invoking, complex, detail oriented, do it right or don't do it at all careers in the world.

That will come, of this I know!

Overall:

I could not be happier if I tried.

Shout Out: Noel, I think for 1 month a year, Noel should be sent on a vacation of his choice, wherever, with money filled pockets(not his money)  I counted a little bit ago in my email. During a 4 month period, from his reply to my first horrified email, to his last reply, introducing me to my mentor.(ending with 'hope to hear from you soon')  From a standpoint of what I needed from him, in his over 20+ replies to every single of my emails, he never missed replying to one of them mind you, he absolutely could not have given me a more perfect/relevant/timely/information rich/calming/reassuring/confidence boosting response in regards to what my previous email was requesting of him, ever.  He was overly perfect at getting me exactly and usually more than what I needed.  Noel, brother, you are an amazing amazing man for what you do, and with the passion that you do it with over and over and over and over for all of us.  You're never stale, it's always fresh, sincere and real.  For that, I will forever be in your debt for guiding me through the process to get here.

• Sub-par
    - 5/6/2017
    Casey B.  User Photo
    Casey B. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Background:
    My previous full-time job was completely unrelated to programming. I had a few hobbies that surrounded computers (gaming, computer building) and I had spent some previous time with self study using free online resources and taking a couple community college CS courses. I had tried teaching myself C++ as a young teen and quickly realized how difficult that was, thus abandoning my early CS career. My current job was very stressful with long hours and no appreciation and little to show for it. So I can to the conclusion something had to be done and decided to look back at something that had interested me enough to attempt self learning with C++.

The Course:
    I spent 3 months in this Front-End Web Development course. At that time, it was said to usually take 3-4 months for most students. The material was not that deep and kept mostly to the surface of various web development topics. This was helpful for beginners and was nice to get a overall foundation, however, you soon got to a point where you needed more advanced knowledge in order to actually do anything real world related and the course did not have support for that. In addition, the course would almost always refer to outside resources for their course content. I understand that they did not want to reinvent the wheel when a wheel was already perfectly available; it still gave the nasty taste of a company charging heavy fees to just point you to the Internet. Obviously, this material is not easy, and if you're expecting something simple and fast, you're looking in the wrong field. Having said that, this course would be great for early beginners. Though, when it comes to job application time, you will not be prepared to land a job. The skills you gain in this course are insufficient for being employed and the projects are too simple and too superficial to be of any use for anyone or to showcase necessary skills.

Mentors:
    Initially, I was matched with a mentor who did seem very intelligent but not completely integrated into the Thinkful process. She was on the older side, which is perfectly fine, except she didn’t seem in touch with the most recent web development tools and frameworks, which was severely limited since that’s what the course was made for. She was never prepared for our meetings and only relied on me to ask questions. This was a super frustrating experience for a new developer because I did not know what I did not know and was very much relying on my mentor’s expertise to help guide the way. If I just wanted to teach myself and ask questions when I knew I had them, I would have just done freecodecamp and stackoverflow. Ultimately, I should have switched mentors to see what else was out there.

Job assistance:
    Unfortunately, at the time of me taking this course, Thinkful promised assistance with job placement, however, they did absolutely nothing in this regard. I received no help, no communication, and no offer of assistance during my entire time in the course and since. I was very disappointed with this as even just reviewing my portfolio/online presence, or technical interview prep would have been great.

Overall:
    This course was sub par even considering it cost less than other bootcamps. The material is challenging in that its a new field, but you do not dig very deep, they constantly link you to other materials, career services was non-existent for me, and my mentor was not helpful. The course may be different now, but my experience was not positive.

• Great Course
    - 4/29/2017
    Walter Bottlick  User Photo
    Walter Bottlick • Senior Web Producer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the Frontend Web Development course, and I found it to be great and my mentor very helpful. She was always willing to walk me through the various processes that I wasn't able to learn on my own in order to accomplish the course goals. The one on one meetings were much more valuable than the larger classroom settings I've been a part of in the past.

• Jim Strother  User Photo
    Jim Strother • none, see review Verified via GitHub

I signed up in November of 2015 full of hope and excitement for my future.  I enrolled into the front-end web development courses and also the node course.  My first mentor was great and we got along very well.  Then in March, 2016, I was suddenly assigned to a different mentor without any prior warning.  I logged in to the usual session time and was told that somebody new was going to guide me through.  At first, everything was going well, but soon he started missing sessions with no notice.  I should have asked to get another mentor, but felt I was very close to finishing so I continued with him.

In July, 2016, my program director told me that he was confident I was ready to graduate and when I sent him my portfolio, he said that it was good enough for him and had me start working with a designer to polish it up.  She gave me a few pointers to make my portfolio better.  The issue with her was that she kept telling me to use my design skills, even though I never took design courses.  I told her that I hadn't taken those courses and was only a developer, but she kept telling me to "use your design skills, use your design skills!"

After three months, THREE MONTHS, of this, somehow another program director got looped into the discussion and he told me that my portfolio, the very same portfolio approved by the first program director, violated Thinkful's own standards for graduation portfolios.  At this point, I had now been enrolled in the 6-8 month program for a full year and he wanted me to redo each and every single one of my projects in the portfolio.  When I told him that it had been approved by the other director, and that I had been in the program for over a year, he said I only had to redo two of them.

From November to December of 2016, I worked on it and the second director was telling me that everything was looking good and he would have somebody from career services reach out to me.  All through January, 2017 I was getting this promise until one day I told him that I was tired of being strung along and either I would have contact with career services or get a refund of my tuition.  Finally, I was put in contact with career services and started what was supposed to be six months of career placement assistance.

She bailed after two months telling me that she would have to seek approval for more sessions with me.  The problem with that was when I signed up, at this point, 18 months prior, I was given a promise of six full months of career placement assistance.  Understandably, I was rather confused as to why she would only work with me for two months.

I worked my tail off each day while I was taking my courses, coming home from a full-time job and putting in several hours in the evening, and several more Saturday and Sunday as well.  I did what they asked of me and trusted them when they said I was ready to graduate and my portfolio was good enough to go.  Now, I'm stuck in limbo, not having the promised career placement help, and they aren't responding to my emails.  If I had to do this all over again, I would have chosen somebody else such as the Odin Project, where they don't charge tuition until after you get a job, or even Free Code Camp.

Thinkful broke every promise they made to me.  Every single one.  I truly regret going through this bootcamp.

• Connor Ericson  User Photo
    Connor Ericson • Student Verified via GitHub

Background:
    My full-time job was completely unrelated to programming. I had a few hobbies that surrounded computers (gaming, computer building) and I had just started working on the front-end portion of a free codecademy lesson (HTML/CSS). I was looking for another career that would challenge me everyday and could give me a way to be creative and design experiences for people for a variety of reasons. This career also has the benefit of bringing in more money than I was making at my other job.

The Course:
    I've been in the 6-month flexible full stack course for about 4 months now. I have learned more practical technical skills in that time than I ever thought possible. With that said, this course is not easy, and if you're expecting something simple and fast, you're looking in the wrong field. The course is written to challenge you and force you to work through problems using skills its shown. It also challenges you to use the most important resource known to any developer: Google. I gave the Curriculum a 4/5 because at times I am frustrated by it, but that is remedied by the one-on-one attention I'm given from my mentor.

Mentors:
    Initially, I was matched with a mentor who did not seem completely onboard with the whole process. I'm not sure if he was new or burnt out, but our first two conversations weren't what I was hoping to get out of the course. I spoke to my program manager and he was immediately willing to move me to another mentor, the one I currently work with, without very much prompting. I was very happy with how flexible he was willing to be to make sure I got what I needed to learn. Just being able to be open and honest with the manager has been a huge help and my new mentor is also responsive to my needs as a learner. My program manager is also always willing to meet during times available on his calendy. This is a HUGE benefit because it affords me the contact of multiple professionals in the field, giving me that much more mentorship. On top of that, Q&A sessions are available from a variety of other mentors during specific times, during which I'm able to ask specific questions. Funny enough, my mentor is very much into server-side coding, and my manager is the biggest CSS/front-end enthusiast I’ve met. Having both of them to teach and guide me has been absolutely amazing.

Job assistance:
    Although I haven't even reached the end of my time in Thinkful, I’m already able to work with local mentors to start a job search. It is extremely important to attend meetups if they are available in your area, as these provide opportunities to network and meet other professionals, some of whom may be hiring. At one such meetup, I made an arrangement with a Thinkful manager to showcase one of my projects and to meet some professionals in the field at a company nearby.

Overall:
    This course is for the dedicated and determined, but it's not like college or another school. You’re working with real professionals in the field who can teach you exactly what you need to be successful.

• Robert Schamhart  User Photo
    Robert Schamhart • Student Verified via GitHub

Recently I completed the Frontend Web Development course (individual skilled course) after a period of 3 months, spending about 10/15 hours a week on the learning materials and exercises. Much more time, however, was spent on my capstone project in which you apply all you have learned.

The course was a great experience and very rewarding to me:

• The web portal is very user-friendly;
    • The learning material is not dry and strikes the right balance between theory and practical hands-on examples;
    • Being paired with a mentor, though is in my opinion, the real key to the success of Thinkful's course concept as it will motivate you to stay on track and in case stuck there is help out there. My mentor Andrew was amazing, very experienced, great communicator and very flexible in case life got in the way. He provided me with many great (re)sources which I (will) consult on a regular basis going forward. Also brainstorming with him about my capstone project was fun and very helpful.

This course did not feel like any other course in the sense that pretty much from day 1 you will be hands-on with quick results. All exercises are interesting and for the more elaborate exercises (interactive quiz, capstone project) it is up to you how to fill them in, as long as it meets the given requirements.

The course felt definitely more as a "hobby" than a "tedious" learning experience.

• Maria  User Photo
    Maria • Student Verified via GitHub

If you're currently reading this review it's probably because you're considering Thinkful among other web development bootcamp options. Based on my experience, I highly advise that you seriously consider choosing Thinkful.

I finished the flexible full-stack development program around 2 months ago and I am now working as a Front End Engineer. For me, this is simply incredible! a year ago I wouldn't have dreamed of having this position and all the skills and knowledge that I now have thanks to the program.

Even though my experience in Thinkful was fantastic, I will list the pros and cons of the program.

Pros:

- Working with an experienced software engineer as your mentor is incredibly valuable! Not only will they help you when you're stuck and explain to you the curriculum, but they will teach you best practices and give you insights about the industry. My mentor was simply amazing. Our sessions were fun, interesting, challenging, and motivating. I would always look forward to our sessions! And he would always help me when I got stuck with my projects even outside of our sessions through Slack.

- Apart from your mentor, you have a large support network. I got a lot of support from my program manager (who is also amazing), especially in the final stages of the program. After I completed the program, other Thinkful mentors were very supportive with my job search.

- The curriculum is very thorough and up to date with industry standards. Learning React gave me a huge advantage in my job search!

- When you complete the program, you have a portfolio ready to show to employers.

- The program's flexibility is great when you have a job or cannot dedicate yourself full-time to study.

- After you complete the program, you are assigned a career coach who helps you write your resume, cover letter, and prepares you for interviews. The team at Career Services can also introduce you to companies and potential employers. I found the sessions with my coach to be very helpful in my job search and without a doubt helped me to land the job that I wanted.

Cons:

- Since it is online, you don't meet people in person, so its hard to make friends and/or study peers.

- You need to be very disciplined with your hours of study. This is really not a problem if you love coding, but you should consider it if you're committing to take the program.

- Unless you have previous experience in coding and/or you have a natural ease for coding, you will spend a lot longer than the time estimates given to complete each exercise.

- Sometimes the notes are not very clear and/or thorough. That being said, the curriculum is updated and improved on a continuous basis.

As the title of this review states, Thinkful is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would definitely recommend taking this program!

• Lucas Barbosa • Student

I stumbled upon Thinkful mostly by chance than anything else. I had a buddy who found out about the program and sent me the link. The more I read the more it seemed to check off every internal box that I had set in order for me to enroll in a school/course. After much consideration I decided to take the leap and enroll in the Data Analytics Immersion program, and I am very glad I did. Every step of the way they have been both supporting and encouraging. As I discovered more about the analytics field, I felt like this was something that I should have gotten into a long time ago. The coursework and the curriculum are both challenging and thorough, and I have been learning so much! The instructor I have, Walter, is a data genius who has a knack for explaining complex topics as well as being an all around supportive coach. The mentor and academic success manager I was given have both done nothing but encourage me and make me all the more excited for what's coming up ahead. I would highly reccomend Thinkful to anyone who is at all interested in breaking into the Tech field or learning new skills that will prove to be valuable. My life has taken some major changes, thanks to Thinkful, and they have made every step of the process easy and fun!

• Dani • Graduate

I just graduated from the program and was able to complete the would-be 6 month course in under 3 months. I come from a completely different career field (left dental school after 1 year, only about 1 months worth of programming experience). It is pretty extensive in the topics covered, so far including Excel, SQL, Tableau, Python with Pandas, Seaborn, and Matplotlib. Your experience can vary depending on your mentor, mine was a very experienced and helpful guide who focused mainly on the Python aspect in our sessions. I would say the assignments will challenge you enough to test your independent skills while the Capstones will be what you make of it. The more in depth you go, the better your eventual portfolio will be. Do not phone it in if you are doing the flex as your skills you build will be dependent on the work you put in, and my interviewers for job positions have been pretty excited about the projects in my portfolio because of this.  My only gripe: the grading team seems to be either in need of more members or be better organized. I had them cancel my presentations 5 times, delaying my graduation. While the academic team was helpful in remedying this, it was a major frustration for me and remains a huge problem for an online course that employs remote contractors.

• Romana • UX/UI Designer • Graduate

Thinkful is a great way how to change your career within less than a year. I have quit my full-time job, found a part-time job and started Product Design Flex.

The curriculum includes the whole process that every UX/UI Designer should have. From research to code. You get a mentor session twice a week with a senior designer. 7-day week support on slack in case you are stuck in your projects. Thinkful also offers multiple online workshops every day. After you graduate you get a coach that supports you while looking for a career.

The most valuable thing for me was a relationship with my mentor. He helped me to build my confidence in talking about the industry and being able to talk about my projects out loud and receive feedback. He also provided a lot of extra resources, such as books, podcasts, events and people in my area.

Thinkful was an incredible experience! I was offered a UX/UI position before graduation.

• Maxine • Data Analyst • Student

I went into this program looking for:

• External accountability to learn the skills
    • 1-on-1 mentorship
    • A curriculum that would give me the skills needed to land a job

I have not gone through the careers portion yet, so can not say from personal experience whether it's done that, but the working data analysts and scientists I've talked to all agreed it was a great base to land that first entry level data analyst job.

On the other above criteria, I would also say that Thinkful came through. I loved my mentor, Alex, who went above and beyond to help me out with my comprehension and my capstone projects. Paying into a program and having an academic success manager and, again, the mentor, helped with that external accountability too. My academic success manager, Cali, was great too.

I found the technical coaching, which is supposed to fill in the gaps between the twice a week mentor sessions, was a little lacking. While I did find a few tech coaches that were extremely helpful and willing help me understand, sometimes I was frustrated feeling like no one wanted to spend time to help me comprehend.

The curriculum, overall, did what it was supposed to. Since it's the newest program that Thinkful has, there's some bumps in it still that were kind of irritating, but they're very open to feedback and I believe they will continue to improve it. Be prepared to take your education in your own hands (as you should do anyway) and look online for alternative explanations when the curriculum isn't making sense to you.

I was reluctant to do the mock interviews at first but now that I'm finished I'm really glad that I did them-- they were great practice.

Due to the flexibility of the program, I worked on it part time for two months and then full time for two months and was able to finish it in 4 months instead of 6, so I'll only be paying for 4 months, which is cool.

Overall, my goal was to bridge the gap to help me get a job in a new field ASAP. I feel conifident in the skills I acquired through the program, and confidence is everything going into a job search! Thinkful did the job I wanted it to and I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a similar outcome as well.

• Is this you?
    - 11/18/2019
    Christina C. • Student

Hello! If you're on Course Report reading up reviews on various bootcamps, you're likely where I was several months ago: curious and considering a change in pathway for your careerpath because you're seeking to build a better life for yourself. Considering the fact that majority of the jobs out there are to be obsolete in the near future, you're indeed wise to be searching bootcamps to better secure yourself. While everyone else I know are sitting around complaining about being unable to find a job or unhappy about their pay, you've decided to not be one of them. Good for you!

I considered going back to a university and commiting myself to learning material for the next few years, but quickly learned that the things taught could be outdated by the time I complete another degree. While accepted into Berkeley's Extension Program after a placement test, I saw that reviews were either REALLY good or REALLY bad- that's a red flag. You want to see some level of consistency in reviews. Also, it is smart to read up on reviews for the course you're interested in- some bootcamps may be stronger for certain career sectors or courses than others. Meanwhile, you'll want to avoid certain bootcamps that don't offer you adequate support. In this sense, I chose Thinkful. While bootcamps like General Assembly are reputable for accepting anyone and everyone (many people compare them to McDonald's- "fast food" but doesn't keep you "full"), Thinkful requires you take the time to reflect and apply with WHY you want to bootcamp. They not only have someone to speak to you by phone while going through the admission process, but equip you with a program manager, mentor, 24-7 support on Slack, support on the Thinkful dashboard where your materials and assignments will be, and much more. YES you have to be willing to put in the time and effort and do your work, but YES you're also held accountable and there are no excuses not to complete bootcamp into succession. The learning material and assignments are well organized so it's easy for you to follow along and follow through. I'm about 1/3 through my course in Data Analytics and am loving it! My mentor has been more than just a mentor- he's been my "punching bag" to vent all of life's miseries and hurdles, to which he has had great wisdom and sense of humor to share with me. The team behind this bootcamp consist of individuals who WANT to help and support you, and not those with just "jobs" to do...and that, my friend, makes a world of a difference.

• Gennifer • Student

I'm a little more than halfway thru my Product Design Flex bootcamp. Thinkful does a great job with the curriculum and teaching the fundamentals, and then portfolio-creation, but what I've been benefitting from the most are the resources and the support. They have one-on-one technical mentorships with working professionals, online groups, slack support, and student discussion threads. Then they have a program manager that basically acts as your coach to ensure you graduate and job seek on the planned timeline. Anytime you feel stuck in the process, there are a team of people there to help you.

• Anthony B • Student

The program is great. If you're considering joining this program I'd highly recommend getting affiliated with HTML, CSS, and JS.

• Engineering Flex
    - 10/2/2019
    Morven Watt • Student

I am about half way through the engineering flex program (previously full stack flex), and it's just ok.

The major issues for me are threefold, as a total newbie to coding.

1. With the flex you are just being given a ton of information, not being taught it. Even if you are really applying yourself, its just a massive info dump with little to aid you in terms of actual teaching. You have to spend a ton of time researching outside resources in order to really teach yourself. I found they are very lacking in drills (and so I sprang and paid for Udemy courses and for the pro CodeCademy).

2. There is a massive, MASSIVE, lack of peer group/less formal options for when you get stuck. It seemed like no one every really used the spreadsheet for peer work, and the online 'class' type things are often later in the day  (5-8pm) which I couldn't attend. My first mentor and I did not gel at all and that was actualyl horrible, but I then swtiched. The slack channels also don't seem to encourage people further along helping, probably as they are incredibly swamped in work, but it means you often just get help from the teacher on duty and that really slowed me down.

3. The 6 month goal is great....but not personalized at all. All the projects that are given, aside from capstones, are really bland and generic, and it felt like as soon as we had completed one area, we just jumped to something totally new so it was really hard to retain the information. I felt like we rushed through HTML, CSS, JS, JQ and so on, and not really got any kind of solid foundation before we were onto the next, leaving me feeling like I was just passable in each area.

Im considering moving into an immersion program, either with Thinkful if I can sort that, but if not then with another company in Phoenix, as I don't feel like the flex will give me the solid foundation needed to join the work force or work freelance right now.

• Cassie • Graduate

Overall, I'm very glad I did this program. Not having much experience in SQL, Tableau or Python, the curriculum takes you through these (and Excel) at a good pace and involves projects to help you practice your new skills. Also, it gives you proof of your skills (instead of being self-taught) for future employers to get your foot in the door for interviews.

That being said, I do think it depends on what you put into the program for what you get out of it. Because it's all online, you have to be very resourceful for finding answers and ideas of how to solve problems. Yes, your mentor and Slack are provided as resources also but sometimes they are slow/busy so it's beneficial to get used to looking for answers yourself.

The Data Analyst track is still pretty new so I would find errors or mispellings in some of the modules. They didn't prevent me from progressing but it was noticeable at times. However, I do think the way this track builds on itself - from Excel, to SQL to Tableau to Python - was very well-structured and I would highlight that for anyone interested in this program.

Also, who you have as your mentor makes a BIG deal. My first mentor was very disengaged and didn't feel very supportive. Luckily, Thinkful is happy to work with you and find you a new mentor. And wow, I'm glad I did! The mentor that I finished the program with is what made it so worth it for me - and she is still my professional mentor after the program!

I am currently looking for a job and the career services is a huge benefit to have after you graduate. I've learned some things about the job search I never knew before and it's nice to connect with someone every week to stay motivated throughout my search. Plus, they send you great resources!

FINAL THOUGHTS - I think Thinkful is a great option for people who want something self-paced, online or part-time and the price point is fair. Also, if you graduate early, they give you some of your money back - I haven't heard of any other program that does that! Check out their 2-week free trial option to try out the track you're interested in and if you like it, I say go for it!

• Logan Ellis • Student

I'm currently in the engineering flex program at Thinkful, and I absolutely love it!!

The student advisors who tell you more about the school were amazing. I was a little worried that I wouldn't learn Python, but they assured me that it won't be terrible to learn after the bootcamp.

I'm currently almsot halfway done with the bootcamp, and I've had nothing but good exxperiences. They not only teach you front end and back end development, they also teach you how to learn code outside of Thinkful!

The mentor program that they rate so highly definitely lives up to its name. They pair mentors and mentees based off of availability to meet, and if you don't think your mentor is a good match then they don't mind finding you a new mentor!

The curriculum is amazing, and I already feel prepared enough to get a front end development job!

I would recommend this to anyone that asks me about this bootcamp!

• Still Growing
    - 9/28/2019
    Peter T. • Student

This is a great program, but have no doubts that you must put in the time to be successful. The Thinkful staff are always helpful and willing to listen. They also provide many differentiated supports to help students succeed: mentor sessions, office hours, group sessions, class time with instructors, etc. you will get out of this program what you put in to it. Don’t expect everything to be easy. Being a developer means reading the docs and figuring things out on your own. Collaborate as often as you can, but don’t rely on others for your learning and development. Grading can be a bit subjective, but you will eventually be working with clients who are subjective as well. Take it in stride. Good luck to you! This program will change your life if you put in the effort!

• Grateful
    - 9/28/2019
    Eduardo

My time so far a Thinkful has been very pleasing and to be honest life changing. I'm very grateful to the staff and the boot camp.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

86% of job obtainers reported salaries.