the-iron-yard-logo

The Iron Yard

Atlanta, Atlanta, Austin, Charleston, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbia, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Durham, Greenville, Houston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Tampa, Washington

The Iron Yard

As of July 20, 2017, The Iron Yard is no longer accepting applications. The Iron Yard is a technology education company that offers software development courses both in person, and through corporate training programs across the US. The school offers full-time and part-time immersive programs in Web Development. Beginners can choose from Web Development Basics or Interactive Web Development courses. For career changers, The Iron Yard's flagship bootcamp is the Web Development Career Path, which takes students from zero to job ready. Graduates of the Web Development Career Path will be well-versed in front end and back end fundamentals, and participate in The Iron Yard's Career Support program.

The Iron Yard team strives to create real, lasting change for people, companies, and communities by equipping a diverse workforce with 21st-century digital skills. Since it was launched in 2013, The Iron Yard has prepared thousands of students for careers in technology.

Recent The Iron Yard Reviews: Rating 4.42

all (173) reviews for The Iron Yard →

Recent The Iron Yard News

Read all (32) articles about The Iron Yard →

• Vivek • Graduate

The Iron Yard was one of the best experiences of my life. I decided that I wanted to make programming my career, which is what eventually led me here. I believe the most important part is knowing that you actually like to program, or think of UI/Ux before you plunge into the Iron Yard. For me that part was easy, because I had been trying to teach myself for several years with no success.

The 12 week course is a speeding train that never slows down. You have to be discplined, take breaks, don't fall behind and stay motivated! Typically I got to the school at 7AM and did some self study until the 9AM lecture and I would leave around 7PM take a break for a couple of hours before finishing up the assignement. For my specific class - the assignments had several difficulty levels, everyone had to finish the base difficulty but there was always more to do! The important part is to always stay challenged and ask for help when needed. Before you know it, the 12 weeks will be over and you will be presenting your very own 'final project' that was built in 2 weeks and will be amazed at your own achievement.

After graduation comes the hardest part of this journey. Finding a job. Research your market! For example, Austin is extremely saturated with junior developers and there are 8 code schools that have more graduates every few months. The Iron Yard does a good job preparing you with resumes, cover letters, interview skills (technical and soft). However, you will have to do the legwork to actually search for the jobs, network in your city and apply!

If you are someone that is self driven, but needs a support structure that can propel you forward, The Iron Yard is for you! And the connections you make here will help you get to that next step of your life.

• Andrew London • Student

Over all my experience was good. There are a few things to remember:

Getting a job is hard. This is not a silver bullet to landing you a six figure salary in the first year. Expect high 40's low 50's for your starting salary for the Charleston area. I was fortunate enough to land a coding job within the first month, but most people took a bit longer. Expect 1-3 months before you get an offer. It takes time, effort, and a bit of luck. Job assistance is available, but there is only so much the staff can do. It really comes down to you.

Focus on your portfolio. It will be the most valuable thing when you leave. Pick 4 or 5 well done projects to feature, and that's it. Add readme's to your github repositories so others can understand what you are doing.

Understand that coding is not easy. Yes, anyone can learn it, but not everyone can learn it well enough in 3 months to perform at a job. Work on some free beginner tutorials through treehouse.com or codecademy.com to see how you do and how much you really enjoy it.

In the end, for me, the investment was worth it, but I made a considerable effort into making sure that it was a good fit. Make sure you do the same for yourself.

• Niclas Willems • Junior Developer • Graduate

I finished my Front End Developement (JS & Angular) cohort at the end of August 2016.  Without sounding mushy, I can honestly say that it was one of the best and most fullfilling experiences of my life.  The instructors and faculty at The Iron Yard in Atlanta made every effort to ensure that I was prepared to enter the tech scene.  I made lifelong friendships that I woulnd't trade for anything.  I can and do give it the highest recommendations for anyone looking to enter or advance in the tech industry.

• Ryan Cortez • iOS Developer • Graduate

I enjoyed the course. It was nice to have an intimate in-person classroom environment to learn. The Iron Yard Houston campus, is incredibly welcoming. The director and operations manager did a stellar job creating a productive, and fun campus community.

The instructor was talented an knowledgable. He knew not only course content, but understood the Houston technology space in a deep way, and customized the course for the Houston area. He also acknowledges how important the web is to new iOS developers and how blogging and getting yourself out in the developer community online is important.

The curriculum kept me interested and was fun, we had an Apple API focus everyday and had project related to that focus due by next class. I think this approach has an advantage on keeping students engaged and shows students the full capabilies of the iOS software development kit, but might not be actually preparing them for the realistic tasks they'll be doing at their jobs.

(The topics I see that are missing are a deeper dive into UIKit, a framework that will be the most used in the jobs that students and a heavy emphasis on debugging, and hard to find bugs. Most junior developers will be resolving bugs in their job rather than architecting somthing new from scratch. I would also like to see the homework assignments relate to a single app that you build throughout the course, rather than small, seperate single-view projects everyday . One of the harder parts of development is literally navigating through a large code base. Forcing students to deal with the large amount of files and code in their project will give them a better understanding of Xcode along the way. This is especially important since Iron Yard students are competeing against Computer Science students. The advantage that The Iron yard can have is giving students very specific real world skills, rather than focusing on a overall picture of the programming space like a Computer Science degree.)

Having no coding experience before a coding bootcamp may work better for web developement, but for Mobile Engineering in iOS. Have basic programming knowledge in any programming language is a requirement, there is a steeper learning curve in iOS to make something that looks and feels functional, compared to making a functional website. Getting hit with basic programming knowledge, adaptable UI, learning in a more complicated coding environment like Xcode is a lot. So I would definitely encourage anyone considering to study basic programming before hand. I had about a year of experience before I took the course and that really helped my learning accelerate.

I was in Houston temporarily, hoping to get a job back in Austin, so my situation was a bit odd. But if I was planning to stay in Houston, the support giving in terms of getting employment after graduation was great. We were given a mock interviews, demo/graduation day was a great place to showcase work to lots of employers visiting The Iron Yard. Throughout the course, we were given advice and reminders about what stages we should be thinking about in the job hunting process. And the journey didn't end after graduation. The Iron Yard staff continued to help guide me in my job hunt.

Given that it was the first Mobile Engineering cohort, it felt like being at a disadvantage because the staff was less versed on what hiring a Junior iOS developer would look like. During demo day, there were less companies that were seeking junior mobile developers rather than web developers. The weekly speakers were mostly geared toward web development. And the visit to a web consulting company was geared towards web developers. I'm sure as Mobile Engineering cohorts go through this campus, the resources for them will only increase.

Overall I'm proud to be an Iron Yard grauduate. It was fast-paced learning, and I got a lot out of the program. If you want to acclerate your learning of iOS development as fast as possible, The Iron Yard is the place to go. There are many cheaper resources online, and it is possible to learn it yourself. But many people won't have the disipline to self learn outside of a school environment, and it will defintely take months if not years longer to learn the skills that you need to get a job. So, what are you waiting for? The clock is ticking, go sign up for The Iron Yard.!

• Jake • Graduate

I graduated from The Iron Yard's UI/UX course at the Columbia, SC location in 2015 and accepted a full-time position about 3 months after graduating. My experience with this course, and the Iron Yard was definitely a positive and correct step in my life.

During those12 weeks, I went from 0 coding experience to learning html, css, javascript. The first couple of weeks focus on the fundementals to to give you a good foundations. In the following weeks, you build real-world projects and continue to cover more advance topics (JQuery/Sass). It is really impressive what can happen in such a short time.

The greatest benefit to me, you can create a whole new career path in a short amount of time. The initial money spent can easily be recouped once you land your first job.

After you graduate, you are apart of the Iron Yard Family. The instructors, directors have gone above and beyond to get you prepared and placed in your first job.

Advice: Network Network Network before you graduate. Also, get your hands dirty and just keep building.

• Dana • Graduate
    The Iron Yard Austin crew know how to craft a curriculum. During my job search, I've realized just how relevant all the technologies they teach are. But more importantly, the instructors and all the campus staff are amazing people. Our instructors are seemingly bottomless vessels of knowledge. The campus staff are kind, wise, always willing to help, and equally willing to accept and act on feedback. Taking the front end engineering course at The Iron Yard was one of the best decisions I've made.
  • Van Anderson • Application Developer • Graduate

The decision to attend the Iron Yard literally changed my life. I went to school for a music degree, which was an incredible and fulfilling experience but not amazingly lucrative career-wise. I didn't want to teach, so I ended up with a handful of odd-jobs to pay the bills. I quickly started to realize that I was not in a place where I could get a head in life and I needed to take action.

I heard about the Iron Yard through a friend of mine. I was naturally a bit skeptical about the idea of being able to completely switch careers after only 3 months, but after talking with the instructor in a prescreening interview I felt a bit more at ease. I attended the Spring '16 Backend course with my friend that had originally told me about the Iron Yard. Roughly a month after we both graduated, we both received job offers at the first place we applied to.

The experience I had over the three months there was incredible. The atmosphere is really geared towards intense study and facilitates an excellent mindset towards learning. My teacher was probably among the best teachers I've ever had and I still keep in touch with him to this day. Unlike college classes, everything you learn is 100% geared towards real life job skills without a whole lot of extra pure-theoretical baggage. After I went through the Iron Yard, I was well prepared for the interview and I was able quickly make valuable contributions when I came onboard to my current team.

The one catch is that the workload is pretty big! I don't think that someone just looking for a paycheck would fair too well in an environment like the Iron Yard. However, if you've done a small amount of coding before and think you might have a passion for it, this is definitely something to check in to!!

• Ikenna Ugwuh • Graduate

So, I graduated from the Front End Engineering program at The Iron Yard not too long ago. I completely loved it there. I had a little coding experience prior to attending the bootcamp but was pleasantly surprised by how much more I was able to pick up during my time there. I'm really happy with the progress that I was able to make and just how much I was able to enhance my coding and programming skills. The staff is totally awesome; everyone working there is extremely helpful, supportive and interested in your success. I was impressed with how knowledgeable and engaging my instructor was, and my TA was always there to help anyone who needed it as well. Not only that but they were really cool too!

I will say that the environment at The Iron Yard is exceptionally challenging; you will encounter inevitable frustrations and may want to give up at times but the instructors and staff are there with you the whole way through, helping you to push through such frustrations and to persevere with the coursework. They just get it; they get the programming industry and are always able to provide helpful information to us as students and 'noobs' to the industry so that by graduation you can be confident about stepping out into the workforce. Even being a graduate, I still pop up on campus sporadically and am welcomed with open arms and still receive assistance from the instructors and staff as far as career support or a project I may be working on. What a fantastic experience this was for me! It was definitely well worth it.

• Domingo • Front End Developer • Graduate

I completed the Front End Engineering course here in Las Vegas, NV. I was stuck working in a dead end job at a casino when I realized it was time for a change. After spending some time looking into the school and getting a tour of the campus, I finally decided to go for it and thats a decision I will always be happy about. The Front End course is lead by a great teacher named Mike and from my first conversation with him I knew he was very knowledgable and yet still approachable. Which made it easy to ask questions and to just have conversations with him. The most important thing I can stress about The Iron Yard is you are only going to get as much out of this course as you put in. The campus became and still is a second home to me from all the time I spent there during the class. From my first day of class till well into my new career, the instructors have proven over and over that they are there for you and will help out in any way they can. The Las Vegas campus has a family vibe that makes it easy for new comers to fit in. There are always alumni working out of the building who are more than happy to help out. I think this really speaks to the community that Gabe Shepherd, the campus director is trying to build out here. He tries to keep the Alumni involved in everything from guest lectures to just random campus activities. I came out of The Iron Yard with friendships that will last a life time and skills and knowledge to keep growing with this industry over time.

• Life Changing
    Amanda • Front End Developer • Graduate

I recently graduated from the Front End Engineering program at The Iron Yard Austin in September. The staff is simply amazing. They are extremely supportive and the instructors are so knowledgeable and helpful. The first time that I met the Karly, the Campus Director, I knew that this was a place I wanted to be. When I started, I knew very little about coding. Now, I can say I feel fully confident in my programming skills and entering the work force. This is a challenging environment so you do have to push yourself and persevere through frustrations. In the end, it is worth it. This was an incredible and life changing experience for me.

• Worth everything!
    Hosea Sandstrom • Freelance • Graduate

After making the commitment to a drastic change my life, The Iron Yard gave me everything in more! After completing the back end engineering course,  I not only feel confident with that skill set but I am  able to add to my skill set almost daily. The support from not only the instructors but the administration team is incredible! I cannot thank them enough!

• Front End Dev - MN
    Alec Bridge • Graduate

As many before me have said, I will reiterate - "You get out of it exactly what you put in to it".  The tight-knit staff and students felt like a group of friends getting together on a daily basis to try and attempt something great which was a feeling and experience I will never forget.  Being part of the first Minnesota based TIY Course felt like there were still a few kinks in the system to work out for scheduling purposes but other than that it went very smooth. Like others have said, you can't go into this expecting a job to magically fall in your lap before you graduate or right after you do, but this course does all it can to help you transition into the world of job hunting.
    Overall I am glad to have been a student and to be affiliated with The Iron Yard, now I feel better equipped to dive into the tech scene on a bigger scale than before.

• Lauren Farr • Software Developer • Graduate

I absolutely loved The Iron Yard. The teachers were very knowledgeable and had great teaching styles. They were also very willing to help and answer my millions of questions. I really enjoyed the structure and class schedule. It was very relaxed and laid back.  There were definitely times where I struggled but the instructors had a good way of helping without doing the work for me. I also loved the class atmosphere and my fellow classmates. We all became very close and worked together each day. I learned more than I could have ever taught myself and felt confident about my skills as a Front End Dev by the time I graduated.

• Terry • Engineering Project Manager • Graduate

Moving to Charleston and attempting to join the tech industry proved to be quite a challenge on its own. Despite having a masters degree I could hardly get an interview and found myself working at a job making a fraction of what I used to. Then I went to the Iron Yard, to sharpen my coding skills. Thanks to the great portfolio and job search assistance, I found myself having 3-5 interviews a week and finally landed a great job within a month of starting my search (as opposed to a year of looking prior to the course). The skills I learned had me immediately ready to contribute, and I had code going into production the first week on the job. It definitely was one of the best decisions I've made.

• Joan Marie Verba • Graduate

Excellent course. The instructor was great, and the course work, while intensive, was also a lot of fun. I learned a great deal about building websites and also learned about the latest techniques. I'd take it all over again if I could!

• Jared Knueven • Web Developer • Graduate

I've recently graduated the Cincinnati's May 2016 "Cohort" in August and I'll be possibly be starting my first professional Tech Job on Monday. I must say that a 12 week code school seems iffy on the surface, but I've never had a regret since Day One.

I was referred to the Indianapolis Campus by a family member who is part of their legacy board and, due to small class size upon acceptance, I transferred to the Cincy Campus (temporarily in West Chester, currently on E 8th St). I had a great instructor, who not only taught us everything from Git to AngularJS, but also taught us how to teach ourselves. I probably spent 40-60 hours a week learning this skill and the only nitpick I could think of is that we could have learned more. Even after graduating, I've recieved immense help with my job search as I've got into personal contact with almost all of my potential employers, rather than rely on internet job postings and job searches.

If you are on the fence, know that I went from having 0-5% code knowledge with a defunct degree in the arts that now has his foot in the door with a consulting group that is giving me work, which I mentioned above. Last piece: Techies leave the ladder down for others to climb, so start on the first rung and climb.

• Rails Engineering
    Andrew Poe • Software Developer • Graduate

The Rails Engineering course prepares students to enter the job market as a junior full-stack developer. Instruction focuses on all the basics of web development, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL, and of course Ruby and Rails. My class was also able to spend some time learning the React.js library.

My experience with this course, this school, and the team running the campus has been literally life changing. Over the course of 12 weeks I went from knowing some basic Python to a ready-to-get-to-work junior software developer. Immediately after graduation I built a SaaS application that is currently available and accepting subscribers. Once that was completed I went to work at a start-up working with React.js, and now I work from home as a software developer for a company in Richmond, VA.

Before going through The Iron Yard I was an automotive technician at the top of my career and hating my job. As a software developer I love my work, and the ability to create new things from scratch is incredibly empowering. Going through The Iron Yard has absolutely been the best career decision I've made, and I'm happy to share my experience.

My only word of caution is this, you will get out of this (and any bootcamp class) exactly what you put into it. Dedicate yourself to learning the material, and learning how to learn and problem solve, and you will excel. If you are not fully committed, wait until you can be.

• Will • Web Developer • Graduate

I graduated from The Iron Yard's Back End Engineering course at the Charleston, SC location on August 5, 2016 and accepted a full-time position eight weeks later.

You get a solid foundation in the material you choose to study, but really you learn to learn. You learn to go out and research new technologies, experiment with them, and then utilize online resources to resolve your issues.

That said, finding a job comes down to you, the student. Do not make the mistake of believing that completing this course and using the career support guarantees you a job. You learn marketable skills, but finding a job while you are unemployed isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Bills add up quickly when you aren't working, so my biggest advice is to potential students is to budget accordingly.

Personally, I had a blast and learned a lot. I do believe you can kickstart a career with an education at The Iron Yard, but I do feel fortunate to have found a position so quickly.

• Brandon Hare • Software Engineer I • Graduate

I had always dabbled in code here and there throughout my career as a Technical Writer. I was always facinated by it. I decided to take the plunge and do the Iron Yard. I have to say, it was one of the best decisions I made. My time at TIY gave me the foundation on which to build a life long career. Not only did they teach me code, but also how to continue to learn, how to problem solve, to collaborate. In other words, how to be an engineer.

• Great experience!
    Caryn • Student

I was a student in the Iron Yard's Front End Engineering program in Austin. I had no formal coding experience before attending. If you work hard and stay persistent and curious, you will learn a ton. I feel confident going into a junior developer role and being able to grow in this new career.

• James Vintinner Jr • Student
    I came from a medical background, and I had got to a point I was no longer happy. I decided I was going to pursue a career in the tech industry, because I've always had a hobby of tinkering with computers, playing with gadgets and being a sort of software savant. But where to start. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had gone to the Iron Yard, and he spoke very highly of his experience. I can now say it's the best decision I've ever made! The instructor was thorough and incredibly helpful, and was always willing to spend extra time helping individuals figure things out. The Campus directors were lifesavers! They were positive and upbeat, and always made me feel like they had my best interest at heart.
  • Brandon Jones • Software Engineer I • Graduate

I went through The Iron Yard's Front-End Engineering course at the Charleston, SC location.    The school was absolutely the best decision of my life.   I went from painting houses for 10 years, with little computer knowledge, and next to no programming knowledge, to working as a contractor for a large company in the area in under 4 months.   The course work was hard, it was intense, and very much so full time.    However, it was an incredible experience, and really did get my moving in the direction of a career I absolutely love.

From day one you receive incredible support from the campus staff.   They are always available and totally eager to help you with your goals and questions.   If you're looking for a career change into IT, and don't want to spent years going through college (no degree here!),  I highly recommend looking into the courses offered through The Iron Yard.  I have been coding now for just over a year, and am working full time as a Software Engineer at Blackbaud in Charleston.

Everyday I love my job and look forward to going into work.   Growing up people always said 'If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life'.   I always thought they were just full of it,  but now I know first hand it's true.  A great portion of my new career I owe to the incredible instructors and campus director at The Iron Yard, Charleston.  If you decide to go through this course, definitely give it your all.  The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

• Putting it together
    Damon • Jr. Software developer • Graduate

I was learning software development through a tech school however there were a few key components missing in my studies that employers wanted. The Iron Yard help me piece it all together. The structure of the Iron Yard bootcamp structured it's curriculum to where each part made sense to where it belonged in the development process. Anyone who is serious about software development should definitely enroll into Iron Yard.

• Jeffry Porter • Java Engineer • Graduate

I completed this course in August 2016 and the curriculum was spot on. The material covered taught us a broad base of knowledge and forged us into capable software developers. The additional job support has been outstanding.

• Jason L. • Freelance • Graduate

Attending The Iron Yard was the best decision of my life. It was a way for me to live life without regrets, and I can say fully that I no longer regret the journey I took during college. I was originally on a path through a technology degree while attending Purdue University, but due to personal reasons I switched over into a more sales degree. After college was done and I began my career, I knew that the path I was on was not one that I was passionate about. I missed technology. I missed the problem solving and challenges that came with it. I regretted the degree I had.

Then one day I heard about this new "school" in town that seemed like the answer to what I was searching for. I saw a way back into the technology world and I took it. I attended TIY during the summer of 2016 and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The teachers were personable, knowledgeable, and taught us well. The courses were fast paced, but not at a pace I couldn't keep up with. The networking events that were hosted got me plugged into the tech scene almost immediately. They did everything the right way to ensure my success as long as I worked hard at it.

I have now been graduated for a little over a month. Five people from my cohort of 10 students total have found jobs, and 1 returned back to school (he basically was here as a summer school). The rest of us (including me!) are in varying stages of the interview process with several companies and will hopefully be having offers shortly. I fully believe that in a few more weeks, we will have a 100% job acceptance rate from our cohort (excluding the continuing student).

I love The Iron Yard, and you should too. If you have any concerns about attending, I hope this review helps you with your decision. Go meet with the instructors and staff and check out the campus. You won't regret it.