the-firehose-project-logo

The Firehose Project

The Firehose Project

[The Firehose Project has been acquired by Trilogy Education.] The Firehose Project is a full-time, 22-week and part-time, 42-week online coding bootcamp that combines expert one-on-one training with a customized, robust curriculum and a worldwide student support community. Students start coding on day one and are paired with a senior software engineer mentor to build their coding skills. Students also have access to a proprietary Q&A forum and technical office hours. Graduates will develop algorithms, design complex data structures, and learn fundamental computer science principles while building a portfolio of advanced web applications that work with APIs, user authentication, advanced database relationships, video streaming, and more.

Firehose has also launched a new job track designed to prepare students with everything they need to optimize their job search as a new developer and make their transition from bootcamp graduate to employed developer as smooth and swift as possible. Firehose worked with technical recruiters, alumni, senior developers, and partnered with BrandYourself, the leader in online reputation management as seen on Shark Tank, to engineer a track that provides students with optimal job preparation resources.

Recent The Firehose Project Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (188) reviews for The Firehose Project →

Recent The Firehose Project News

Read all (8) articles about The Firehose Project →
  • Accelerated Software Engineering & Web Development Track

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Front End, Ruby
    In PersonFull Time
    22-week program designed to help you become a professional software engineer.
    Tuition PlansPayment Plans Available

• Sam Crabtree  User Photo
    Sam Crabtree • Applicant Verified via GitHub
    I've tried many free courses all over the Internet, but I immediately fell in love with Firehose Project's prep course. The information is delivered in a fun, engaging way. It really didn't feel like work, and I tore through the first section in a few hours without realizing it. It made me want to keep learning. Keep coding. I'm not in the position financially to take a full course, but if I were, I would apply in an instant. The material and the way it's presented is just that good. It made me fall in love with Ruby even more.
  • Great Stuff!
    - 6/19/2017
    Norma Oshin  User Photo
    Norma Oshin Verified via GitHub

The Firehose Project Prep course has been awesome so far. I knew a bit of HTML/CSS but as there's always something new to learn, I did get better on the course. The tasks are not overwhelming and they are easy to follow. I'm happy I gave it a go!

• Great stuff!
    - 5/27/2017
    Jazz  User Photo
    Jazz • Student Verified via GitHub

I don't usually write reviews and when I do, I generally don't give out 5 stars. However, having been doing another bootcamp then coming to Firehose to try their free prep course I have been pleasently surprised how much I am enjoying it. Ken does a wonderful job explaining things and obviously has a passion for the work he does and from what it seems the rest of their team does as well.

I am relatively new to coding and web design/development and have learned a great deal over the last week or so just from this prep course. I can only imagine how much I will learn when I sign up. I highly recommend you give the prep course a try if you don't know anything about anything like myself. You'd be surprised how well they present the content and how fun (albeit challenging) it is. I am going to get back to it now, hope to see you there as well!

• Rob M.  User Photo
    Rob M. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

To begin with. I have very little experience with coding. Yet, a few days after using the program I feel as if I have gotten over one of the biggest challenges for new coders--- feeling like it's an impossible task to learn. The super fast replies to questions and the in-depth tutorials are just a few of the aspects of The Firehose Project that I absolutely love. In fact, the third-party clients that you use will probably be a much more difficult task of learning. Still, they have even come up with a solution for those issues they explain how to get started with and use them in the correct manner. And now I must end this review, not for a lack of things to say but because I'd honestly rather get back to coding. Peace.

• Sandra  User Photo
    Sandra • Ongoing Services Manager Verified via LinkedIn

I started the firehose project on Saturday 4/22/2017 and completed the first part of creating my portfolio using HTML and CSS within a day and now on the ruby project. Its really funny and easy. Actually, I was kinda surprised how easy it was since I used so many others and couldn't get past the first day. I don't want to stop. Unfortunately though I won't be able to afford the full class after the bootcamp. I wish I could go but have to work full time and take care of an older family member. This is an awesome course. The instant responses are awesome and the encouragement is really great. Thanks again for coming up with such a wonderful program. When you get a better payment plan, please let me know, I will jump on it in a heartbeat.

• Jeff Gerlach  User Photo
    Jeff Gerlach • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The project-based curriculum that the Firehose Project provides, combined with the supportive community and excellent one-on-one mentorship, allowed me to kickstart my learning and exposure to the world of full stack development. I will admit that I did have experience with coding previously, but the motivation this program provided for me to learn a great deal of material in a short time was priceless.

I found the real-world insights provided in the learning material to be quite helpful and applicable, and if I ran into trouble working on a project, someone was always able to help me figure out a solution. I even had my code from the final group project brought up on a projector and reviewed during an interview, helping unlock the door for me into a position as a software developer - The Firehose Project definitely works!

• Highly Recommend
    - 4/23/2017
    Sylvia Yu  User Photo
    Sylvia Yu • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a graduate of the Firehose project, I found their curriculum to be nicely paced. Not only was I introduced to Ruby and the Rails Framework, I had also become a Rails full-stack developer across several different projects all live hosted on Heroku.

Their weekly office hours with Marco and Ken, the one-on-one mentoring and the team project were fun learning experiences and very informative. The mentorship was an invaluable added bonus when working on coding challenges, algorithms and guidance.

The final Chess project was a good introduction to working in a team environment with other developers.  We were working together on Slack, Trello and Github, in pairs or alone at times to create a working Chess application with everything we learned over the course.

Overall, The Firehose Bootcamp delivers in value for the money and I would highly recommend the Firehose Project to anyone interested in learning to code.

• Ladislav  User Photo
    Ladislav • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

In my opionin, the Firehose Project offers together with an appealing and profound education approach an excellent value for money.

What I mean by that? They seem to manage to provide a sort essential knowledge to help understand how the things in coding go together sort of end-to-end. Be aware it's a very complex topic for 24 weeks, so you really need to grasp essentials in a very short time which they managed in the crisp understandable videos and instructions along the sample web applications that you do throughout the course. The dynamic web applications (min. 5) teach you HTML, CSS, Bootstrap Ruby, Ruby on Rails and Java Script. All of them include a postgreSQL DB, scale in complexity and include zoomings out and explanations that help gain a programmer mind set or way of thinking. On top of that you are introduced to a computer science topics such as algorithms that you can try to solve quite challenging problems which again aim to help assume the problem solving mindset. Moreover, you can take part in a team project that simulates a real application development process to create a chess web application that users can create and/or join and play against one another.

Having said that don't expect to become a coding specialists because in such a short time it's impossible. This is not meant as a negative remark about the course but the reality. You need to do a lot of additional work since you get a lot of new references and sources to go through.

If I'd better realized the complexity I'd have taken more time to prepare on my own before I started the course or would have opted for the longer 44 weeks course which was introduced recently. You can then better leverage the mentor sessions and office hours to fit your needs and learning style.

E.g. I started to create my own app that I had to solve problems which were not dealt in the course and I could still got the questions answered. The mentor sessions (1hour/week) had an excellent quality the more you are prepared the better. My mentor also answered every mail outside the session. The office hours (1hour/week) never let an open question with occassional shared screen coding, follow-ups, and run-overs when needed. I also always managed to get my questions answered on the Firehose community chatt by either mentors or other students or graduates. There is also a self-paced job-preparation track which includes advice how to present yourself digitally what to expect in an software developer interview, and other job searching related stuff.

Depending on your learning style and abilities, my experience was that minimum 20hours per week had to be spent just to be on track of the course. For a deeper understanding and becoming more comfortable with the topis 30 - 40 hours per week seem to work fine.

The only thing I would have appreciated more is if the applications styling differed across the application portfolio to make it look more attractive.

• Pam Willenz  User Photo
    Pam Willenz • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I completed The Firehose Project online bootcamp recently (January 2017). I am a career changer and came with very little coding experience. I did attend another online bootcamp prior to starting The Firehose Project that I was unsatisfied with. Switching to The Firehose Project was a great decision and completely worth the money, time and commitment.

In the curriculum, you start immediately building applications. Then you gradually start to learn and work through algorithm, data structure exercises that build on each other. You learn problem-solving skills that give you the foundation to work in the software development field. I always felt challenged but was able to follow the steps and figure out from reading forum questions and answers or googling answers to steps I got stuck on. If I couldn’t figure out the problem, I could ask on the forum and get help.

After finishing the core curriculum, you have a chance to do a group project, which teaches you how to work in an Agile/Scrum environment with other student developers, use more advanced git commands and produce a working application to show off more advanced web development skills. This is huge in both your learning and selling yourself to employers. This helped level my skills up that I couldn’t have done just building applications on my own.

The Firehose Project community is wonderful and this is because the leaders, Ken and Marco, set a very collaborative, positive and supportive environment. Besides having weekly mentor sessions (they pick a mentor for you – did a great job picking my mentor, Seth), you can attend weekly office hours to pose questions and also watch other questions get answered. Watching Ken pair code with students to solve coding issues is invaluable and I think one of the best ways to learn to code.

My journey since graduating from the FHP has led to numerous interviews, job coding challenges and a job offer. It hasn’t been a straight line but has (like the actual program) always progressed in the right direction. After you complete all the modules, you start the job prep module. It is important to go through it and do all the exercises, including rewriting your resume and getting it down to one page (even if you have a lot of prior experience from working more than two decades).

I would advise anyone who wants to become a developer and wants to attend an online bootcamp to go to The Firehose Project. They have an excellent curriculum, great leaders and staff, top-notch mentors and a wonderful environment to learn. I especially recommend FHP to career changers, like myself. I always felt a part of the community and not too old or different. I internalized Ken and Marco’s belief that if I applied myself and felt passionate about learning to code that I could accomplish a change into the software development field. I am doing it and you can do it too.

• Russell Kranz  User Photo
    Russell Kranz • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you want to learn the skills to have a career in web development, but don't want to deal with classrooms and long lectures, then The Firehose Project bootcamp is an incredible investment. It's one of the few bootcamps that offers a free prep course, and that in itself is very valuable. I would encourage anyone thinking about bootcamps to first consider checking that out.

When you begin the program, you immediately dive into building a Rails app. You quickly set up your coding environment, outline an app, and begin creating the database. There's no time spent dilly-dallying in coding concepts that don't have immediate practical use. The idea is to get your first app off the ground and to learn as you go so that you know the exact purpose for everything you do.

Because the entire course was taught in this learn-by-doing manner, I've been able to really understand coding concepts and principles. It's easy to forget something when you don't know why you're learning it.

The 1-on-1 mentorship program will likely be your most valuable asset (it was for me). I had an incredible mentor during my time at Firehose who had been a developer for 13 years and had an astounding wealth of knowledge. Every week I would come to him with questions or coding issues, and by the end of each session I would have figured out exactly how to fix my code and gained invaluable information. On top of that, I recieved tons of great advice for my side app, my resume, interviewing, and much more. I can definitively say that I would not have gained a foundation for software development that is as strong as it is today without having someone to help guide me.

There's still a lot to say. The team project, the job prep course, the strong community backing, helpful forums, weekly office hours. The list goes on. These were all helpful in developing my skills as a programmer and providing insight into a career in the tech world. The only thing I could have hoped for was a little more introduction into a database language (like SQL) and a front-end framework/library (like Angular/React)...plus if I gave everything 5 stars, who would actually read this review?

That being said, I still got far more out The Firehose Project than what I paid for. It was an infinitely better decision than going back to college for a CS degree and I learned more industry-applicable knowledge over the 24 week program than I did over the 4 years I spent getting a mechanical engineering degree in college.

• Saroar Khandoker  User Photo
    Saroar Khandoker • Ruby Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I change my life after take Thefirehoseproject, My dream was become a good software developer they make my dream true, I was 28 years man who dream it :) i can say nothing is impossible if you get proper guide line and little bit backup form who know their job and they know their job how to teach  , i really give them 1000000000.times { puts "Big big thanks for help me to change my career" } after finished this course i was not took me long time for get job, my first job was free job :) i mean internship i was doing that 4 month then i leave my internship and got paid job was not good salary but it was ok after 4 month again i change my job
    Now i am working in local company i am working as junior Ruby developer where i test TDD and BDD :) and i love it :)

What i like their course ?
    Regular code reviews
    High level Job preparation guide
    Very friendly
    Teach how to solve problem
    Groups Project
    Step by step guide line with will help you become good software developer
    From my opinion if they can add more about Test it will be boost their student career because i believe to become a good software developer you have to be good in test

Again i wish them good luck and if anybody like to ask anything please don't hesitate contact with me via fb https://www.facebook.com/alifspb17

Note:- I don't have university degree but i am working as software developer its awesome achievement for my life and i think everyone can do it if they love what they are doing, i wish everyone good luck and advice never give up one day your dream will become true like me :)
    Winner are not people who never fail, but people who never quit.

• Chad Bruner  User Photo
    Chad Bruner • Student • Student Verified via GitHub

I have to say that the Firehose Bootcamp Prep Course is one of the best online resources out of several I've researched and tried out. The instruction is clear, simple and never overwhelming and all the while there is encouragement to keep trying until you get. The course uses videos and reading activities providing very manageable, step by step guides to learn coding concepts which the user is then encouraged not only to practice, but also to submit for review and comments from the course instructors directly. The instructors are always encouraging and very responsive! I strongly encourage anyone even remotely interested in coding to start immediately with Firehose!

• Brian S.  User Photo
    Brian S. • VP of Product • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Highly recommend the Firehouse Project. I took the course after a co-worker recommended it to me.  I was able to completed the course in a few months while working full time.  Ken and Marco did a fanastic job of supporting the class and individual students throughtout the course.  I walked away with a good foundation on which to grow.  Only recommendation is to add more Javascript to the course work, however I think they've added more to the curriculum  since I was a student.

• Diane Van Etten  User Photo
    Diane Van Etten • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It's very easy for me to write emails about and send letters to places that have done something that I haven't liked or to someone who I have feel has wronged someone in my family, but it's much more difficult to write a review for something that totally changes one's life for the better as The Firehose Project has done for me. This is actually not my first career, or even my second, but it's my last and best. I have a BS in Mathematics and an MBA with a Finance specialization, but I finally found my calling when I found The Firehose Project. I now own a small business and do one off projects for others, from home, doing something that I love and you know the saying...when you do something you love you NEVER work a day in your life! I honestly don't even know how I stumbled across their website http://www.thefirehoseproject.com/, but I am so thankful that I did.

I actually started writing this over a week ago...and I've written and deleted more times than I can count...but if you ask Ken Mazaika and Marco Morawec, the guys who started The Firehose Project, that's nothing new. It was a pattern that I had when I first started to code...I was trying for perfection, so I would write my code and then instead of just reworking the code I already had, I started all over again.  So, I will actually start and finish this today.

I'm not sure if you get to interact with the founders of every other bootcamp out there, but with The Firehose Project Bootcamp, you DO have interaction with Ken and Marco. And that interaction is specific and meaningful. I understand that their time is very valuable, but not one time did I ever feel that I was rushed while talking to them. Every Wednesday night during virtual office hours, Ken would schedule one hour to answer any questions, but he would not hesitate to spend more time on the call with everyone, if necessary, or to work with you one on one after the call if it wasn't an issue that others might also be having. I wasn't new to coding, or so I thought since I had been working with HTML and CSS, but I had no experience with Ruby or Rails and The Firehose Project encourages, well, forces you to jump head first into the deep end and begin coding. No, I didn't have a clue what I was doing or why, but I was watching the videos, reading everything I could, going through the lessons, meeting with my mentor, attending the weekly discussions and asking questions and after a few weeks I realized that I could actually quickly spin up a Ruby on Rails webpage, throw some bootstrap and some pictures onto the page and get my MVP (minimum viable product) up and running. So, not only was I learning, I was hooked.

The more I learned, the more I wanted to learn. I've actually gone through the updated lessons a number of times, I still watch the slack pages for the new projects, I think I'm still on the hook for part 2 of a Docker lightning talk and if they'd let me, I would still attend the Wednesday night discussions.

Marco and Ken have not only managed to build a wonderful product that teaches you Ruby and Rails through a series of projects, videos and a personal mentor, but they cultivate a comraderie with the people that you go through the program with...even though you start at different times and are in different places in the project and it's all done ONLINE. I don't know how they do it, but they do...and it's wonderful.  Firehosers, as we are all affectionately called, become your family. You find yourself reaching out to them in the middle of the night for help with some code you know you should get, but you don't want Ken to know you're stuck on. Your fellow Firehosers are the ones in the chat room cheering you on as you tackle your first lightning talk, where you're sure that you're talking too fast and you KNOW that no one on the video call is remotely interested, but they're telling you what a wonderful job you're doing...and Ken and Marco are also telling you how great you did! Again, I don't know if you get this from other boot camps, but I've talked to people who've gone through other courses and I haven't heard them talk about their experience with the same passion that I have when I talk about The Firehose Project.

Along with the curriculum, that includes different course tracks, you do have access to mentoring sessions, weekly discussions and cheat sheets that include information on Git, Heroku, Ruby and Vagrant. If you'd like, you have the opportunity, as previously discussed, to give a lightning talk and showcase your budding tech skills. You're building your resume as you move through the course...and yet they still give you more and more and more help with your job search!

Yes, I could go on and on and on....I could probably write a book on how wonderful The Firehose Project is, so if you have any doubts, go to the website http://www.thefirehoseproject.com/?home=true and you can see for yourself that you want to be a Firehoser!

I believe it's been almost 18 months since I've graduated from the program and if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would choose The Firehose Project.

• Ernesto  User Photo
    Ernesto • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I decided to sign for TFP after doing a lot of research looking for the right online part time coding bootcamp for me, and decided for them after taking their free pre-course. I liked this preview a lot (and I took it before they improved it  a few months ago), specially the friendly feeling and how active and close their founders Ken and Marco seemed. That gave me a lot of confindence.

Overall, I’m really happy with my choice and most likely I would do the same choice today, but of course not everything is perfect, or at least lets say that there is room for improvement in some aspects.

The program focus on three different main points:

• Learning to craft webapps mostly via Rails.
    • Learning to solve algorithms and learn about typical CS concept or data structures, mostly using Ruby.
    • Software Engineering related topics: Agile, SCRUM, TDD etc. You get exposed to them via the final team Project.

To support this, you have one weekly session of an hour with a mentor (I was very happy with mine, by the way, a truly profesional software engineer with a lot of experience in industry and deep knowledge of a lot of technologies including some of the cutting-edge ones). There are also weekly sessions of office hours, and you can always ask Ken or the other guys in the staff who are always glad (and quick) to help-

You are tought how to create webapps via written lessons where you follow a walkthrough to create several apps each one more complex than the previous one, getting exposed both to Rails itself, specially how you can get things done more than how it works, and also to the gems and tools used by developers on a daily basis. You also get exposed to tools like the CLI or Github from minute one. In my opinión, this part of the curriculum is very well executed and the lessons are well designed in progressive complexity.

Regarding algorithms, there are assignments where you have to solve problems or work with data structures. This  is helpful specially for people looking for a career switch, since you learn about things you are going to probably be asked in a interview. You would typically try to solve the problem, and then whether you are able to do it on your own or not, you should check with your mentor to look for ways to refactor or improve. This is the part where you are supposed also to actually learn Ruby.

What I didn’t liked about how this part is planned is that you have to look for ways to improve your knowledge of the language outside the program, cause of the lack of an organized intermediate-advanced course in Ruby. It could be argued that being able to google for stuff and learn on your own is another needed skill, and this is true, but I feel like once you pay for a program, having to go outside to look for somehow basic and expected content about the language or the tools is dissapointing.

This is even more dissapointing given the fact that the pre-work have a pretty good introductory course to Ruby, that I really liked it. I found myself expecting something similar in the lessons, but there isn’t. This is extensive to how the key “theory” concepts are explained. You just have some short video series explaining concepts such as MVC and the basics of Rails, OOP programming, Intro to Javascript etc. In my point of view this is insufficient and this is the weakest point of the program by far. More written content to serve as a guide about the important topics should be a must, specially given the nature of the background most students have.

Lastly you get exposed to software engineering topics such as Agile methodologies in the Final Project. This experience is unvaluable, and something you can only have in a place like this, Granted, you can learn to code and craft apps for free if you are disciplined enough given the huge amount of free content there are outside nowadays, but you can’t have an experience like the Agile Team Project for sure for free. Along 7-8 weeks, you work with your team using Agile methodologies and being guided by a mentor that acts not as a teacher but as a team manager, assigning tasks and defining goals and timings while you make a complex app using all the knowledge you have by this momento, close to the end of the program, and using new tools and workflows where you could actually have a feeling of how it would be to work in a team of developers.

They also have a job assistance curriculum which I still didn't take since I'm not looking for a career change today, but recently they totally re-worked it adding a lot more content.

To summarize, what I liked:

• The healthy and friendly environment, staff deserves a 10/10 and community is also friendly.
    • The walkthoughs where you actually build apps.
    • The mentorship program.
    • The value you get for your money (usually these programs with 1 on 1 mentorship are way more expensive)
    • How fast and accurately the staff provides feedback or help.
    • How they periodically improve the content.
    • The Agile Team final Project.

What I didn’t like:

• If you want to understand and work the technologies, patterns or languages involved or actually learn in an intermediate-advanced level about them, you have to look for content outside. There is a lack of written content apart from the walkthoughs. The video series are not enough in my honest opinion, by far.

Overall though, as I said I'm glad with my experience.

• Jourdan  User Photo
    Jourdan • Student Verified via GitHub

I am about 10 weeks into the Firehose Project curriculum, and it's going great so far. The pacing of the lessons and the regular challenges and exercises are so helpful in solidifying the course materials. I particularly like the written lessons. It's much easier to re-read a sentence or explanation rather than rewinding a video. Finally, the combination of having a personal mentor as well as the important insistence on learning algorithms & computer science fundamentals is what makes Firehose superior to many other bootcamps that I investigated.

Having a mentor allows you to keep moving through course materials by jotting down something that trips you up during a particular lesson and discussing deeper in a one on one meeting each week. This allows you to keep a steady pace in the lessons and using the mentor sessions to gain clarity on anything you might be confused about. Getting a solid foundation of CS topics are crucial as well. It's one thing to master some syntax, but without understanding how the individual pieces ladder up to efficient, consistent solutions to challenging problems, I imagine you'd have a really tough time landing a job after the program.

So far, I'm really satisfied with my decision to choose Firehose over the other camps on the market.

Note - I haven't gotten to the job assistance portion of the curriculum yet, so I'm not able to rate that at the moment. However, I know they recently revamped that piece and have created a full learning track dedicated to that process, so I'm looking forward to diving into that when the time comes.

• WeiHsi Hu  User Photo
    WeiHsi Hu • Product Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I finished The Firehose Project bootcamp 2 years ago and I must say I would highly recommend this course, especially if you are looking for a flexible online course to fit your schedule.

The Experience: the mentor and the course

I had a great experience in the learning environment that was set up by the course. My mentor was not only very knowledgable but also a great teacher. He knows the subject matter very well and was able explain complex things to beginners.

On top of the 1-to-1 mentoring, the Firehose project also built a very supportive community through different forums (weekly office hours, online discussion groups, slack chats, team project, etc.) Students and alumini regularly interact and support each other in these forums. Much of it is down to the students, but the team at the Firehose Project has definitely been instrumental in intentially facilitating that supportive vibe. The different interactive opportunities have also grown substantially since I finished the course and the large network of alumni and students is really inspiring to see.

The Content

It is not until I started working and building projects for clients that I appreciated how much breadth and depth the curriculum covered. The deceptively simple apps that you get to build throughout the course covered a big range of complex technical requirements. The curriculum was also well structured into technical components that you need to learn. When I started building projects from scratch for myself or for clients, I was able to apply what I learned to build things with different requirements.

I like written contents because I can then progress at my own pace without being restricted by the "pace" of videos. Firehose's mix of written content, graphic illustrations, and video contents are well balanced. The style of the written content was very conversational-like, making it really easy to follow and understand.

The Firehose Project also continuously improve, update, and add to the curriculum, so as an alumni, regularly go back to the course content and learn about new topics.

Throughout the course, you are given good amount of job searching preparation. For me, this mainly focused on the coding challenges that you might encounter during an interview and the team project to give you the experience of working collaboratively.

You are being given quite a lot of flexibility of how you want to progress in the course. You can either take an "employment" route or a "start your own thing" route, or even both if you are willing to put in the work. Although there is a suggested pace, if you finish the course content sooner, it just means that you can embark on different challenges you and your mentor set for yourself.

I subsequently took a different bootcamp on Data Science with a similar model (self-pace content and mentor). By comparison, I think that The Firehose Project is outstanding. Not only the content is great, you really get a sense that The Firehose Project team cares about the students and always tries to make the learning and the experience better. Well done!

• David J  User Photo
    David J • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Excellent value for the money. Firehose offers a superb course for much cheaper than the other coding camps I looked at. The course begins with some basic coding and by the end you are building complex apps. I found everything easy to follow and when I got stuck there was plenty of support, from the slack channel to a ticket response system that is surprisingly fast, and also a weekly live video meeting hosted by Ken and Marco where students can ask questions and get help with what they are stuck on.

The mentor system is another high point of TFP. For one hour a week my mentor and I would discuss new concepts and go over things I was having trouble with via webcam. I found this extremely helpful and it adds a whole different layer to the learning experience.

The final project is the agile team project, where 4-5 students work together to build a complex web app under the guidance of a mentor team leader. This simulates what it is like to work on a team in the real world and brings new challenges, and it was a lot of fun. I found the experience valuable and it gave me a taste of what to expect in the workplace as a programmer.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Firehose Project. If you want to take a deep dive in ruby on rails and learn how to code, this is the place. There is a strong focus on learning how to code the right way, and this will help no matter what language you end up using.

• David Swanson  User Photo
    David Swanson • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Looking through my experiences I have had in The Firehose Project, I know the journey is just beginning for me. I'd known for awhile that coding was in my mindset, but for a long time felt lost and stalled by all the seemingly endless routes to take.

That all changed with this coding bootcamp.

This gives you real, hands on experience of what it is like to fully deploy working, quality web apps alongside great people that do so on a professional basis. It's given me a can-do attitude for a field that piques my interest to keep myself going, with quality communication being highly valued.

I've since landed a comfortable, variable-by-day position that uses many aspects that came to life going through the course, applied now in working extensively with databases both physically, and on the computer interface.

The mentors are personalized specifically to your case, so that check-ins with them are especially productive times. Every step taken feels meaningful.

There are also several community group channels to partake in with fellow Firehosers taking on the same work as you, along with weekly Office Hours for true live discussion. Exceptional work is going on behind the scenes here to make this all happen, and I am very happy to have joined The Firehose Project. They are there for you every step of the way and beyond.

• Erin Morrissey  User Photo
    Erin Morrissey • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I finished The Firehose Project’s curriculum in late October of 2016 and am extremely happy with the program and all that I learned throughout the 22-week course. Before deciding to enroll in a bootcamp, I had tried learning JavaScript and Ruby on my own, but never made any progress due to analysis paralysis around all the tutorials and material available for learning. One of the best aspects of the program is being able to set aside that thinking and follow their well planned out lessons, which teach you what you need to know, when you need to know it.

The curriculum is project-based, so you jump right into building a functioning Ruby on Rails web application, and continue with more web app projects that build on what you just learned. With algorithm challenges throughout the program and a focus on learning object-oriented programming, I felt like I received a great foundation in programming concepts. Getting an introduction to agile methodologies in the final group project turned out to be very valuable in the job search process — being able to talk about that experience played a large part in my landing an Associate Software Engineer position after finishing the course.

Between the course’s Slack channels, weekly office hours sessions and weekly calls with a senior developer-level mentor, there’s always someone available to help with questions. The curriculum is structured as written and video tutorials, so the entire program was very easy to fit into my lifestyle, which was very important to me. Students have lifetime access to the curriculum as well, which has already come in very handy when I needed to brush up on some JavaScript concepts. The Firehose Project turned out to be an incredibly smart investment in my personal development and I highly recommend the program.

• Great Pre-course
    - 9/19/2018
    Cyrus • Attorney • Applicant

So far I have gotten through the HTML/CSS and Ruby section of Firehose's free online pre-course, and it's been superb. You build a very basic website with HTML/CSS, then you move into building a foundation in Ruby. The lessons and coursework are ordered and presented in such a way that you're able pick up things quickly, and your challenge submissions are reviewed usually sameday by a Firehose expert. If the full course is anything like the precourse, I plan on taking it!

• Dr. Monroe Mann • Graduate

I can’t say enough great things about Marco, Ken, and the Firehose Project. Thanks to everything I learned, I not only was confident enough to code the website for my law practice (monroemannlaw.com), personal brand (monroemann.com), and my not for profit, Break Diving (breakdiving.org), but I also learned enough to recruit and lead an all-volunteer coding team to build Break Diving’s Terms of Service Fairness Project hosted on Heroku at www.tosfairness.org. Oh, and I’m building websites for others now too, and teaching them how to code! While I had a bit of coding experience coming in to this program, nothing really made sense. Firehose brought everything together. And I’d be remiss if I didn’t applaud Ken, Marco, and Brita for offering me a special payment plan based on my current financial needs.  If you don’t think you can afford the program (yeah, it IS expensive), talk to Ken and Marco. Explain how passionate you are about the program. I know they will bend over backwards to try to accommodate you. And don’t give up until you figure out a way to finance it. I wouldn’t be the head of a growing coding team now were it not for what I learned at Firehose. Are many of the coders working under me much better a coder than I am? Hands down yes (and I’m learning from them). But The Firehose Project taught me enough that I can lead this team in their own language and actively contribute to the project as a junior full-stack developer. I tried many other online coding programs. None of them seemed to be as simply constructed, as cleanly presented, or as incredibly supportive as Firehose. Oh, and when you graduate, if you want to join Break Diving’s awesome coding team, you can apply at www.breakdiving.org/volunteer  We’ve got multiple exciting projects all in various stages of development.  We’d love to welcome you aboard.

• Desirea

When I found the Firehose Project it was about the fifth bootcamp prep I had taken for a test run in as many days. I didn't mean to keep coming back to the lessons because I thought I wanted something with more JavaScript up-front, but the first section on HTML was so engaging that I stuck around for more. I've been "shopping" around, trying to find a bootcamp prep program that was both challeging but not impossible and the supportive nature of the online set-up was another unexpected bonus. I wish the videos continued into the other sections of the program, but other than that I highly recommend it.

• Owner, Globalsend
    - 1/22/2018
    Winston Wolfe • Owner • Applicant

First-time at coding, making my way through the free tutorial. The videos on HTML and CSS are amazingly well done, making learning simple and fun! For any questions, the Forum provides almost instant and accurate answers, as it links to the global Firehose community. Great product so far!