tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator offers a full-time, 14-week coding bootcamp that prepares students for a career as a software developer. Prospective students can choose to study Java or .NET. Bootcamp students also learn HTML, CSS, SQL, API, and JavaScript. The bootcamp runs Monday through Friday, 9-4:30pm, and has a low student-to-instructor ratio to ensure the best support environment for participants.

Tech Elevator’s career-readiness Pathway Program is responsible for high placement outcomes and includes personalized coaching sessions, interview practice, 6 months of placement support post-graduation, and alumni and mentor networking. Tech Elevator also offers its students and alumni direct connections to employers through employer showcases and interviewing events.

Tech Elevator’s instruction is typically delivered both remotely and in-person at campuses located in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Tech Elevator also offers students beyond its core markets, and throughout North America, class options through its National Live Remote program.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (279) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (45) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationPhiladelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    January 11, 2021 - Philadelphia Apply by December 28, 2020
  • Java Coding Bootcamp - Remote

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End, GitHub
    Start Date March 1, 2021
    LocationOnline, Charlotte, Detroit, Chicago
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    March 1, 2021 - Online Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Charlotte Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Detroit Apply by February 15, 2021
    March 1, 2021 - Chicago Apply by February 15, 2021
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, CSS, MVC, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date January 11, 2021
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    January 11, 2021 - Columbus Apply by December 28, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by December 28, 2020
    May 10, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by April 26, 2021
    May 10, 2021 - Columbus Apply by April 26, 2021
  • Rich • Student

Prior to attending Tech Elevator, I had a largely unfulfilling job in sales, while working extra hours in restaurants on the weekends. I had an undergraduate degree from a local university, but didn't seem to be on a career path that I could be excited about.
    I, like a lot of people probably reading this, kept coming across articles about programming and what a valuable skill-set it was. So, in my spare time after work, I started learning about the field of software development and programming.
    After researching and learning some basic concepts over time, I began considering the field as a potential career match. And while I was excited at the prospect of one day getting a job in tech, I still thought it was a little far-fetched, and at the very least, far off.
    Yet, through the serendipitous ways of the internet, I came across an advertisement for Tech Elevator, and my interest (much like yours I surmise) was piqued. After interviewing on-site for over two hours, and with a healthy dose of cautious skepticism, I was pretty much sold.

I received a call within two days notifying me of my acceptance, and after about a week's consideration, I was ready to take the plunge.

I'd also like to note that the interview was, as intended, persuasive, but at no point was it sugar-coated to seem as though the process wouldn't be immensely challenging. And it certainly lived up to that.

Coming from a non-technical background, you will have to work harder in your spare time to keep up with the core concepts that other students may have already been exposed to. But you won't be alone. And, most importantly, you won't be without resources. From Craig, the 30+ year programming vet who's always willing to help outside of class and sprinkle in stories of the good 'ol days (or dark ages) of programming, to Josh and David, both of whom possess keen understandings of their subject matter, and how to explain high-level concepts to non-CS-degree'd folk; you won't be learning alone.

You'll learn more acronyms than I knew could be composed from the English alphabet, and you will go through periods of self-doubt, but once you find that you have the ability to meet challengesand adapt to solving the problems you face, you will quickly understand why so many people enjoy this career.

I've now landed a job at a major local software company and can't wait to see what the future holds. So, if you are genuinely infatuated with computer programming and IT, and you believe you would enjoy a demanding, fulfilling career in the field, there is no better option than Tech Elevator. It truly can change your life for the better.

• Tim • Software Developer • Student

Going to Tech Elevator was one of the best experiences I have ever had, and was a very wise choice. I was in the food service industry and really wanted to do something greater for work, I heard about Tech Elevator on the radio and after visiting I was sold. I started my bootcamp May 16th and recently graduated in mid-August.

I was in the .NET cohort and was taught by their lead .NET instructor, Josh Tucholski. Josh is extremely patient and is very knowledgeable about software development. The pace of the class was just right and it is very satisfying to leave everyday with more knowledge. Craig, who is on site just to help students, has over 30 years of professional development experience and is always very willing to help anyone who wants to understand the content better, or just wants to practice solving problems on the whiteboard.

I felt more than prepared to do technical interviews, and was able to answer any question that was thrown at me for junior development roles. The Pathway Program is great and they are always bringing employers into the space, which allows you to network and get first-hand accounts from people in the field.

Tech Elevator would be a great choice for anyone, you will learn a large amount about software development that will leave you extremely prepared for the career that Tech Elevator will allow you to get after your 14 week program is over. You will make a lot of friends, have a lot of laughs, and ultimately be putting your life in a much happier place. The team, atmosphere, pace, and career prep at Tech Elevator is very unique and would be extremely hard to find anywhere else.

• Sean • EBI Database Developer II • Graduate

You’ve probably read countless reviews and stories involving people who have changed their careers and lives as a result of a coding boot camp. That wasn’t my case. My review is aimed primarily at those who may have a little background in IT but, for whatever reason, aren’t satisfied with where they are professionally. I worked for a Fortune 500 company for years on the database side and got “pigeonholed” into maintaining dead end proprietary applications.

A personal injury sidelined me and I looked into Tech Elevator’s Java program while recovering. I had already had some of the standard self-exposure to the language ( books, online tutorials, community college courses etc.) but what appealed to me when I visited at an open house was the opportunity to learn relevant, real world practices in coding. If you think that things will be limited to “Hello World” and a calculator app, then you might want to sit down.

I had already done some coding so I thought that most of it would be a piece of cake. WRONG! Throw out any preconceived notions that this will be “just another class”. You quickly learn advanced principles, proper techniques, how to apply them and most importantly, why. No need to fret, though, because the instruction is top notch and there is always support available when you struggle.

As for things not related to coding, the facilities were great and we had everything that we needed as far as laptops, software, books and other resources. I’d also like to stress that they went to great lengths to prepare you. This included having many professionals in the community come in and share experiences, answer questions and give advice. Invaluable.

Lastly, the payoff. At the end of the boot camp, I received multiple offers and actually chose to stop interviewing. I opted to work for an industry leader in healthcare involving data analytics for an increase in salary of more than $20K with potential through the roof.

I apologize for the length of this (there’s still so much more I’d like to share) but if you’ve read this far, you owe it to yourself to at least attend an open house and get a feel firsthand. Best of luck to you.

• Kaity • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from the .NET program in April 2016. I was previously working in advertising technology but knew that I'd need further education in order to pursue the more technical roles I was interested in. I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and was immediately sold.

The staff at Tech Elevator is incredible. Every member of the team is knowledgeable, supportive, and committed to your success. The .NET instructor, Josh, has a teaching style that makes difficult concepts easy to understand while keeping class engaging and exciting. In addition to learning more than I ever have in a 3-month time span, I truly enjoyed coming to class every day, even when the material was frustrating.

The Pathway Program provides career assistance through resume and interview workshops, employer networking events, and both technical and behavioral interview practice. I owe the two job offers I got before graduation to the Pathway Program and the team's willingness to go above and beyond to make sure I felt prepared for interviews.

I couldn't be happier with my time at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend the school. If you're curious, start with an open house.

• Brad • Production Implementation Consultant • Graduate

It took me 2 years from hearing about coding bootcamps before I finally took the plunge into one. Despite having a college education, I had been stuck doing menial labor jobs, landscaping, cooking, and baking. This life grows old, and we all want to see our hard work blossom into rewards, so I decided to make a huge change into the IT field. I chose Tech Elevator over other bootcamps for a few reasons: 1) Length: Coming from a non-technical background, the extra couple weeks of learning was an invaluable both informational as well as allowing the knowledge to work its way into long term memory a little better. 2) Youth: This is a young program. I don't mean age, as my classes median age was in the mid 30's, rather that Tech Elevator is at least as passionate about giving us the tools to succeed as we are passionate about making our own lives better. 3) Staff: From Carol at the front desk to the instructors to the founders, everyone plays for the same team, and it's a winning one. Who doesn't want to be on that? These praises don't come at a price, the work is hard and at times frustrating. I am a grown man who now knows what it is like to want a hug because a computer bullied me today. You may question at time if you are following the right path, but if you stick it out and listen to what the instructors, mentors, recruiters, and even employers that are brought in, YOU WILL SUCCEED! Having no technical background and mere months of coding experience, I was inundated with recruiters and direct employers calling me. I had an offer from a great tech company on the West side that came from the employer showcase that Terry and Anthony work very hard on setting up. Within a week of graduation I was working full-time, with benefits, and can honestly say I have doubled my income from the previous year. As long as you know that you are worth investing in yourself, sign up ASAP and get your life moving in the right direction. If you read this far and have any questions, please pm me saying that we have worked together at Tech Elevator, and I will be more than happy to tell you more about my personal experience.

• Kenny • Technical Consultant • Graduate

This bootcamp is the REAL deal. I came into this with a diverse background from the military, operations management, and sales. Totally off the wall careers, but I realized technology was the driving interest in each. I had researched the bootcamp model for a few years and even tried to teach myself but the book was out of date. So via networking while trying to transition into software sales, I was introduced to Tech Elevator. I had no idea I was about to change my life in just 14-weeks, but it happened!

I attended an orientation and heard from the instructors about curriculum, and the CEO about how this place could change my life, but I think what blew me away was how up front they were about the amount of work that would be required of me and the energy that would need to be invested in order to achieve graduation. I took it as a challenge and went home thinking there was no better place to learn than a place where I am challenged. I had in front of me the very opportunity I had always wanted, and all I needed to do was pass a pre-assessment, and an interview. Sounds easy enough, but it wasn't. I didn’t sleep for almost three days until I finally found out I was accepted, and then I thought to myself "and so it begins!".

From day one there was never a shortage on communication of what to expect and the plethora of resources available to me in order to be successful, but after brushing them off thinking I had this in the bag I quickly learned my second week I needed way more help than those who came from technical backgrounds. I think the feeling of knowing I just paid a bunch of money for something, and the fear of failure kicked in and I quickly started reaching out to fellow students to have study sessions. From week 2 through week 8 a group of us would show up to the 24-hour space and just bounce our problems off each other. It wasn't until I started talking to the instructors about it that I felt like a crazy man for coming in at 6am when class didn’t start until 9am. Looking back now aside from the top-notch instructors, I would say going through this with 14 other people who were going through the same issues made this a lot easier for myself. This allowed me to maximize my time and learning through out the 14-weeks.

The instruction I received was hands on applicable knowledge designed to teach you how to learn versus being hand fed the information. David Wintrich was my Java instructor, and learning from someone so highly regarded in the community as well as the vast amounts of practical knowledge he possessed was a blessing. This allowed me to repeatedly bounce ideas or concepts off the man who had built a BILLION dollar processing application. Impressed? Well I am. Having David alongside Josh, and Craig allowed me to get a feel for how to approach problems that I would see in real world situations, and how to plug away at a problem researching and tinkering until I felt that feeling of victory once it worked. I think having access to the folks who have "been there and done that" allowed me to feel confident walking away and making an immediate impact day 1 at my new job.

The bootcamp opened a lot of doors for me because I lacked a college degree, and it also gave me credibility learning from some of the best folks in the area. I do not think I would have the opportunity / career trajectory had I not taken this step versus going back to college. The technical aspect along with the touch up on my resume / LinkedIn presence from the pathway events set me up for success. Hearing industry leaders read my information and offer insight was invaluable. As a result to taking a risky leap of faith and praying for sunshine, I have stepped into a Technical Consultant role with one of the Software Industries top companies. Without Tech Elevator I would probably still be at that same job I once hated, just because I lacked the motivation to give four years away to a college. Forever in debt to the folks at Tech elevator.

Hope this Helps !

• Sam • Software Developer • Graduate

I always had an interest in software development, and before joining Tech Elevator I was interested in transitioning into a new career field. It was by chance that I stumbled upon an article on FreshWaterCleveland.com about Tech Elevator, and they happened to have an open house that evening that I attended.

From that first introduction all the way through graduation, I was extremely pleased with the experience. It is very apparent that every staff member is dedicated to making this the best possible experience for those who are looking to join the software field.

I chose to take the Java development track, and had David Wintrich as my instructor. Out of all the teachers that I have interacted with over the years, David is definitely one of my favorites. He is very easy going, really knows his stuff, and is committed to making sure his students are succeeding and getting the most out of their education. I really appreciated that he made himself available whenever I needed, even after hours. I feel the cirriculum left me well prepared to take on a new role as a software developer.

Outside of classroom instruction, Tech Elevator also helps its students sharpen their soft skills that help them succeed in finding a job and navigating their professional lives. They brought in relevant industry experts to help with things such as resume writing, networking, and interview practice. Tech Elevator has an extensive network of employers looking for tech talent, and held a job fair for students to interview with a wide variety of employers. I was offered a position from a company that attended. They will also help you pursue opportunities with companies that they don't have an existing relationship with if you have a particular company you are interested in.

Overall, I can safely say that attending Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I have made in my professional life. I encourage anyone interested in a career in software development to apply.

• Fantastic
    - 5/18/2016
    Brendan • Graduate

I have nothing but good things to say about my time at Tech Elevator. The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and are always willing to help students, either during or outside of classroom hours. The classroom and common room spaces are great. While challenging, the fourteen weeks flew by, and the instructors made sure they made class interesting and fun.

The career assistance was out of this world. Tech Elevator brings in a ton of great companies to talk to students. They also set up interviews with companies for students. You even get mock interviews and technical interviews beforehand to practice. I got a job with a company that I'm really excited about because Tech Elevator brought them in.

Before the class, I was skeptical about the bootcamp model. But Tech Elevator was unequivocally worth the time and financial investment. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was the best decision I've made for my career.

• Anonymous • Software

My experience with Tech Elevator was overwhelmingly positive.  At any bootcamp there are 2 major aspects.  The first is the instruction in terms of learning integral skills.  The second is the professional opportunities that the bootcamp opens.  Tech Elevator, in Cleveland Ohio, fulfills both of these criteria at a very high level, especially the second one.

I will not speak to the coursework or instructor very much excep to say that my Java teacher had an excellent command of the material and was always available to help students.  On the other end, he was willing to provide more advanced assignments if a student needed challenged more.  However, in contrast to college, and traditional learning institutions, since there is no grading, it was up to the student to complete the work and challenge himself/herself.  This is the nature of the bootcamp model thugh.  You must have the interest and passion.  Tech Elevator, nor any other bootcamp, will instill this into a student.

But where Tech Elevator shines is in its ability to provide professional opportunties.  From day one they work with students in preparing forthe  job hunt.  A myriad of professionals are broulgh in to help with resumes, interviews and internet presence such as linkedin.  Further, they help the student to craft a narrative which connects thei previous career with their prospective software developer desires.

After the students resume, LinkedIn, and interview skills are evaluated by a multitude of recruiters and coaches, Tech Elevator is somehow able to bring many employers on site to actually interview students.  This is how I personally landed a job.  Tech Elevator brought over 20 employers who all were seeking entry level software developers to the spacd for a matchmaking event where they interviewed each studen for approxmately 30 minutes.  Beyond that amazing event, Tech Elevator's tirelessly working "career coach" and other staff with connections convinced prospective employers to either come to the learning space or make on site arrangements for interviews.

Like most things in life, you must put a lot of effort into Tech Elevator to get the desired outcome.  But they provide an excellent framework and concentrated direction for your efforts.  I am confident that if you are seeking a career in software development, then Tech Elevator will serve your purposes if you are willing to put forth the proper effort.

• Jonathan • Java Developer • Graduate

I recently completed the Java Applications Development bootcamp from January 2016 - April 2016. Prior to the bootcamp, I had some exposure to the IT industry doing QA, support and project management. I had a vague idea of what to expect, but no experience writing code. During my job search in the fall of 2015, I heard an add for Tech Elevator on NPR. I was intrigued, and decided to attend an open house in the begining of December. After observing the passion and knowledge of the instructors: Josh and David, it became clear to me that this was the next step in my career.

The class moves quickly, but I never felt lost or left behind. The combination of lecture and hands on projects/exercises really works well at enforcing the material. Subject matter is filtered to what would wil be relevant in the workforce, and covers the full stack. In addition, we were given exposure to popular tools that are used in the industry. The class is broken down into modules, and each module is capped off with a capstone project, typcially completed in pairs.

The Java instructor, David Wintrich, is patient, and easy to get along with. He presents the material in an engaging way, and readily made himself available for one-on-one assistance, if necessary. He was very encouraging, which was needed, as learning to code from the ground up was frustrating at times. He also drew on his work experience as a developer, giving us tips and insights that were helpful not only in applying the material, but later on during the job search/technical interviews.

The Pathway Program starts on day one, and runs parallel to the coursework. It included mock HR/technical interviews with real-world professionals, resume/LinkedIn assistance, employer matchmaking and networking advice. Once I stareted attending interviews, I felt prepared and confident.

I wasn't initially sold on the job search portion of the bootcamp, as the idea of landing a job as a developer after 14-weeks seemed both daunting and unrealistic, but boy did Tech Elevator deliver. I received multiple job offers from companies I met within the Tech Elevator hiring network within two weeks of graduation. I agree with some of the other reviewers in that you get the sense that the staff truly care about your sucess. Also the ping pong table is pretty rad. I would absolutely recommend this bootcamp to anyone interested in a career change.

• Lyndsey • Developer • Graduate

I truly cannot say enough good things about my Tech Elevator experience.  After feeling stagnant in my marketing career for quite some time, I became intrigued by the tech industry and the bootcamp model of learning.  I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and listened to their team talk about the program and from there I was sold.  Their passion and knowledge was clear, and I ultimately decided to quit my job and sign up.  At the time it felt like a scary and risky move, but I was very quickly rewarded with the feeling that it was one of the best decisions I had ever made.

The cohort covered the full technology stack, from database to front-end development.  Josh Tucholski, the .Net instructor, is incredibly knowledgeable and has a teaching style that makes it easy and enjoyable to learn from him.  He's patient, thorough, and understanding, and is genuinely invested in you and your future. The same can be said about every member of the TE team.  Everyone there actually cares about you as an individual and wants to see you leave TE for bigger and better things. And they help you do it!  The Pathway Program that runs in conjunction with the day-to-day instruction was invaluable.  It provided job and interview prep, employer matchmaking and networking opportunities, and the ever important "soft-skills" that are essential to landing a great career in today's job market.

Tech Elevator opened up a whole new world for me in regards to my career.  The skills I gained throughout the program allowed me to knowledgeably and confidently interview with a number of companies that I may not have otherwise had exposure to.  I had two job offers within two weeks of graduation, and am so excited about my new position and my future as a developer.

• Kevin • IT Apps Programmer Associate • Graduate

I was enrolled in Tech Elevator's Java Applications Development course from January through April 2016. Before I started the program I had very little experience with programming and no practical experience at all with Java. My last job had absolutely nothing to do with programming. Within days of graduating, I already had job offers and am now employed full-time as a software developer.

The course was rigorous without being overwhelming. The day usually started off with a lecture on the programming concepts that were being introduced followed by demonstrations. Afterwards you can expect to be given individual and paired exercises to work to reinforce your understanding of the new material. The instructors are excellent and make themselves available to answer any questions you might have or review your completed code with you to help you improve upon it and make recommendations to assist you in writing more readable and professional code. They are also very receptive to feedback and will make changes to how they present the material to better suit the needs of their students.

The best part about the program is that at the end of each unit you will be assigned a full project to complete. You will be given specifications for an application and then you'll write the code for it. Writing programs really helps you absorb all of the material you've been learning and, by the time you will have completed the course, you'll have a number of programs you can compile into a portfolio and present to potential employers to prove that you really know what you're doing. This part really makes a difference and goes a lot further with employers than a resume alone.

The job support is also excellent. The school has its own hiring network of companies in need of junior developers and frequently hosts different kinds of events to bring their students together with recruiters from these companies. It was one of these in-network companies with which I ended up getting a job, so I can personally vouch that it is a worthwhile part of the program.

I highly recommend this school to anyone looking to make a transition into software development. It is well worth it.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here