tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (239) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (40) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date July 13, 2020
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    July 13, 2020 - Online
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationDetroit, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Philadelphia
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Columbus
    September 14, 2020 - Cincinnati
    September 14, 2020 - Cleveland
    September 14, 2020 - Pittsburgh
  • Bethany Warner  User Photo
    Bethany Warner • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A college buddy who works in software development recommended I look into Tech Elevator after I came to him with questions about what his job was like, because he'd interviewed and hired candidates from the program before. Having never heard of a coding bootcamp before and coming across this concept with a skeptical mindset of "oh yeah, sure, college said their graduates were hired, too", I did a lot of research. I talked to graduates I found from meetups and off of LinkedIn, both in person and online. I went to an open house. I talked to numerous employers in the area on what they thought of Tech Elevator and other local bootcamps. I read, I swear to god, every single review on this website and anywhere else I could scrounge up. After all of that, I showed upon the first day still not sure if I was being scammed.

Going to Tech Elevator was the best decision I've ever made, hands down.

The curriculum is checked against employer and industry demands and changes with what the program sees employers looking for in job descriptions. Unlike many other bootcamps, everything is chosen with the goal of graduates finding in-field employment and being prepared to hit the ground running on their first day. The program is expensive, but worth every penny. The instructors are hired carefully, and there's always someone on hand to help you sort through a problem. They do a lot of good to handle the frustration students often accumulate as they struggle to learn new things, in addition to of course teaching the material in the first place. TE does a great job of fostering an environment that welcomes questions and minimizes the idea that you're in competition with your fellow students. Instead, you're encouraged to use one another as resources and allies in both the learning process and the job search.

The program can be stressful - not in that the workload is overbearing, but in that you're likely trying to mold your brain to think in entirely new ways and that's exhausting. Do NOT expect to be able to work another job while you're in the bootcamp. How long in the day students stay and if they come in on weekends seems to be dictated by the culture of your particular cohort, but the effort of absorbing the material and putting it to use takes a lot out of you. I highly recommend sorting out your food situation ahead of time/being ready to commit to meal prep, and if you foresee an issue arising while you're in the program or in the month or two following, do your best to handle it in advance or perhaps even put off program until you can fully invest in it.

Tech Elevator does a lot to train and prepare you for the job search itself, and is very hands-on in helping you achieve your employment goals. An entire segment of the program is career counseling in the form of their "Pathway Program". Go in expecting to value and work on the job search almost equally with learning to code. TE employs well-connected, engaged staff specifically to teach you to network, write a solid industry-standard resume, how to find and efficiently apply for jobs, and decide which track/role within software development you'd like to start out in. This staff adds up to a huge portion of the equation that will get you a job! Listen to them! As a piece of the pathway program, employers come in twice a week for most of the bootcamp to try to market themselves to the students as desirable employers. This gives the students and the employers a chance to talk to each other/network and get a feel for what everyone's goals are and corporate culture is like, and test if they're a good match. Another part of the program is something called matchmaking. Matchmaking takes place towards the end of the bootcamp, and it's a day or two of formal interviewing in ~25minute rounds with employers. Both of these pieces - the employer showcases and matchmaking - are integral to networking and immersing yourself in the industry.

I went into the program having never coded before and having never successfully had a career - just a lot of jobs. Between the instructors, the pathway program, and innumerous stress-relieving rounds of ping pong, I found employment within a month of graduating. I can't recommend the program highly enough. I'm still in a state of disbelief over the vast improvement my life has gone through thanks to Tech Elevator.

• Shane O'Neill  User Photo
    Shane O'Neill • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

About a year ago, I was sitting in the same position you are right now. I was unsatisfied with the current status of my career and spent hours pouring over the reviews of various coding bootcamps available to me in Cleveland. You may find  yourself reading about Tech Elevator and thinking 'This sounds too good to be true.' I can assure you that, I too, had the same suspicion.

I spent time tracking down graduates on Linkedin and pestering them about their experiences, attended the open house, and met with staff. There was reassurance along every step of the way that this was the right decision. Prior to TE I had earned a Masters degree in Music and was tired of the teaching/performance lifestyle - not only did I desire something with more consistency, but something that would challenge me in a new way. Given my background, I can assure you that I had almost zero coding experience before Tech Elevator. This was indeed a bit daunting because a fair amount of students enter the program having dabbled with code in some respect.

Now onto the program itself. What can I say that hasn't been said many times over on this website already? I went from a complete novice on day one, to a confident junior developer by graduation. The curriculum has clearly been designed with care and is a product of the numerous cohorts that have gone through the program. As a general rule, I felt we spent the appropriate amount of time on each topic to get a strong sense of understanding, and each new topic neatly stacked onto what you learned prior. It is evident that TE hires its instructors with great care. Personally, being in the C# .NET bootcamp with Josh was wonderful. He has a natural talent for teaching, finds clear means of conveying concepts, and is generally very helpful. The help doesn't stop with your track's specific instructor. There are always other staff members willing to help you out.

A lot of the reviews on here will talk about how hard the program is. Yes, I would absolutely agree with you that it is indeed difficult. However, I found that if you stay on top of your work and don't fall behind in your daily assignments it is really quite manageable.

So what was the outcome of all this? I'm sure you have by now read the wonderful statistics on job placement upon completion of the bootcamp. That indeed was one key point that sounded too good to be true to me. When all was said and done I was overjoyed to have two job offers the week before graduation and started my new career as a web developer two weeks later (with a generous salary increase). While there is still certainly much for me to learn, I was able to start my new job with a strong foundation and the ability to pick up new skills/concepts with relative ease.

TLDR: Tech Elevator changed my life for the better. Believe the hype.

p.s. Don't hesitate to contact me on LinkedIn if you would like to chat about my experience at Tech Elevator!

• Shana  User Photo
    Shana • Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Of course I read these reviews before enrolling in Tech Elevator. Despite knowing in my head that "this is going to be intense", there is no proper way to know how intense it is until you're sitting in that chair and there is a seemlingly endless stream of information and homework. Each homework assignment is due in 2 business days, so if you start falling behind it is very difficult to catch up.

I am someone who is not really motivated on my own, so the environment and speed of the bootcamp, as well as all the deadlines, was an excellent fit for my learning style. I also get too easily distracted at home, so I spent most of my evenings (and many weekends) working on homework in the classroom. Interestingly, this caused one of the tech startup companies at Rev1 to notice me and drop by to talk to me a couple of days before matchmaking. In any case, this led to me being able to complete all of the required homework, except the very last assignment (sorry Brian!).

This program prepares you for your first job as a programmer. Being taught the basic concepts of programming, and the Pathway Program with all the mock interviews and LinkedIn advice, will ensure that there is nothing standing in your way to get your first job. I got my job through matchmaking, and received a verbal offer the day of graduation. It wasn't even a company I had picked to meet with. The network of companies that Tech Elevator has established is truly impressive.

The instructors and staff are very professional and patient. Here is where I give my shoutout to my Java instructor, Brian (more review points for the competition with John :P). Brian is simply brilliant, I have no idea how he seems to know everything and figure out problems within minutes, sometimes seconds. Furthermore, he never makes you feel bad about asking him a question (and I asked a LOT of questions). I loved when we were in lecture and someone asked him a question, he would sometimes respond "If I knew the answer to that, I would be out there building it!" which shows he has a true passion for what he teaches. Sometimes he would get so excited about a topic that I started asking him questions just to slow him down so I could keep up.

The comraderie with the other students is great - you're all in the same boat, most likely you hit similar roadblocks with yesterday's homework, you work together... it's really fantastic. Occasionally you may run into issues with the pair assignments, as not everyone learns at the same pace.

All in all, if you have decided that programming is the route for you, this bootcamp is the all-inclusive springboard that will push you into the field faster than you could ever achieve on your own. I almost doubled my previous salary. But I also had to sacrifice the majority of my social life and hobbies for 14 weeks.

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, and I miss being there!!

• Lindsay  User Photo
    Lindsay • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had been unhappy with my previous career for a couple years, but wasn't sure what direction I wanted to take. After exploring post-graduate options I was ready to start down a new path, but wasn't interested in spending several years in school. When a couple friends suggested I look into coding, I started to research the different bootcamp options in the area. After attending an open house at Tech Elevator, it was clear this bootcamp was heads and shoulders above the rest, and I immediately knew this was the place for me.

Every single employee at Tech Elevator is there to help you succeed. The staff are genuinly invested in each student to reach their full potential. The instructors are incredibly knowledgable, and you'll find more than someone to teach you the technical skills; they take the time to get to know each student and share invaluable lessons they've learned from their own career paths.

Outside of the technical skills I learned, the Pathway Program was crucial in my ability to land a job. I've never been comfortable speaking in front of people and talking about myself, and the Pathway Program requires you to do both (eeek!). By the end of the 14 week program I felt completely comfortable standing infront of a group of strangers and telling them about my journey that lead to Tech Elevator. The Pathway Program sessions as well as the expert panels brought in gave incredible advice and instruction on crafting a resume to get you noticed, how to effectively network and leverage those connections, and make sure you are prepared to ace every interview. I have no doubt that without the Pathway Program, I wouldn't have receieved multiple job offers upon graduation.

If you're ready to make a change, Tech Elevator is the right choice!

• Jason Mann  User Photo
    Jason Mann • Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator was a life-changing experience for me. They have an incredible, hard-working, smart staff that give you the tools to learning programming and find a job that fits your skills and interests.

• Xander Barnhart  User Photo
    Xander Barnhart • .Net Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My previous work experience was working in restaurants, working as a maintenance man and every crappy job in-between. I’ve never really made enough money in my life to do more than just survive.
    I grew up with very little hope that I would rise above ‘just barely getting by’; and what little hope I had, left a long time ago. Like most of my generation, I was told that college was the only option if you wanted to achieve any success in life. I could barely afford one semester, let alone a degree. Undeterred by my financial restrictions, I went to college and hoped to, somehow, make enough money in my life to pay off a Bachelors’ of Political Science degree. I lasted about a year. What I found at a traditional college was the primary purpose was not to gain information that would help you secure employment after graduation. The purpose was to make social contacts and to foster a budding drinking problem.
    After a year plus of college I dropped out with only a very high tolerance to distilled liquors. The next ten years I drifted from line cook, to factory worker, to restaurant server, and finally landed in Ithaca, NY and worked at a food Co-Op. An actual 7 degrees of separation led me to find out about Tech Elevator. At first, it really did sound like a con; trust me, I have heard a lot of them in my life. But, after some prodding from my always patient girlfriend I took the admissions test. Not thinking anything would come of it. Two phone interviews, driving to Cleveland for an in person interview and prying a cosigner signature from a family member; I was enrolled. All of the work was still ahead of me.
    The first day of class came. The staff of Tech Elevator was beyond welcoming. The first thing a staff member said was, “Why don’t we go around the room and introduce ourselves and talk about our experience with technology”. My answer said a lot about the difficulties I would have later in the program; “Uhh, I technically own a computer. With that, I pass”.

My attitude the first week could be described as one of a “feral animal’. I didn’t want to talk to anyone, I just wanted to be alone and work on my class work. Turns out, that’s not the most effective way to learn. Slowly I started to talk to classmates and my teacher. Slowly I started to muddle my way through the first module. It was only when my former boss offered me my job back in Ithaca that I realized the chance I had. I had a chance to never wait tables on Mother’s day. I had the chance to never fix a stranger’s clogged toilet again. I had the chance for a future, a real future.

The advice I got early on was “the more you give to this program; the more you get out of it”, and I really took it to heart. I knew my previous background was limited. So, I resolved to be the first one there every day and be the last one to leave. I went to meetups on a weekly basis. I went to every pathway program, every talk. I ate more pizza in 14 weeks than I had in the last 14 years. With hard work, determination, encouragement from the staff and my teacher, and an unbelievable amount of coffee; I was able to land a job. I got a pretty good job, at a pretty good company, making pretty good money; about twice the amount I had made the previous year. I started off as a junior developer. As a junior developer you’re the ‘low man on the totem pole’, so to speak. My cubicle is located right next to this huge bank of printers, fax machines, and copiers. So, every time something goes wrong with anything, the person trying to print turns right around and asks me if I know how to fix the machine. This brings me to my one gripe about Tech Elevator; they didn’t teach me how to change a printer’s toner. Beyond that, Tech Elevator was the best, most amazing experience I have ever had.

• Jane Liu  User Photo
    Jane Liu • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from the Java boot camp in Cleveland in Dec, 2017. I was previously working as a human resources specialist in the technology industry in Taiwan where I was born and lived my whole life. I always wanted to be a software engineer but it was unrealistic to give up my job and go back to school for another master’s degree. And honestly, I didn’t have the courage to change my career.

I learned about the program at Tech Elevator while planning my move to the U.S. I knew it was a great opportunity for me and I had to take a chance and take charge of my life. I joined the program right after I moved to the U.S. I have to tell you the course was hard, it will absolutely be harder than you think. But learning with motivated classmates who have the same goal as me was the most astonishing learning experience I have ever had. Also, all of the staff at Tech Elevator is incredibly knowledgeable and supportive. Everyone has the exact same goal as you do; to help you succeed! Tech elevator not only teaches you how to code. It teaches you how to think like a developer, and the Pathway Program helps you to get prepared to land your first job. A lot of the time I felt like they were more serious about my success than I was, and I was serious!

I got two job offers after I graduated and a whole new set of friends who are now in the same field that I am. I am now working with a group of passionate and intelligent people at a great company with a huge increase in my salary and awesome perks like unlimited PTO. I couldn’t be more satisfied with my life now, and most of it is due to the 14 weeks I spent changing my life at Tech Elevator. If you are interested in coding and want to elevate your life, go to an open house, give yourself a try, I did!

• Anna Waltrip  User Photo
    Anna Waltrip • Developer, IT Applications • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Tl;dr:

I can't recommend this program enough to anyone who is seeking a career change into software development / IT. It is the best of the bootcamps in the Columbus area; the staff, teachers, and fellow students are wonderful. If you can get into this program, commit your life to it for 14 weeks, and put in the full effort needed to succeed, do it. It will pay off.

Long review:

When I entered college at Ohio State in 2007, I had no idea what I was doing, or even what engineering was. Fast-forward a bit, and I graduated with a degree that often makes the "Lowest Paid Majors" charts: Anthropology. (Side note: I highly recommend studying this eye-opening subject, but probably not as your major unless you have a solid career plan.)

Since college, I've worked in corporate customer service and administrative jobs where I often felt overworked, and yet bored, and totally expendable. I knew I needed something more intellectually challenging, not to mention secure, and had an interest in IT. I learned some web development skills on my own and tried to work my way into some kind of entry level IT job - to no avail. I’ve heard of people getting development jobs after self-teaching, but this wasn’t working for me - I needed something structured to hold me accountable and help me gain the needed skills.

I considered going back to college until a friend told me about Tech Elevator. I did research online, went to an open house, and decided to submit the online application. What finally sold me was coming in for an interview with the campus director. The director & staff don't just try to sell this program to anyone and take your money. They stress that they only accept about 10% of applicants and this program is NOT for everyone - it is very challenging and requires a lot of your time. I learned about the curriculum, the Pathway Program, and the fact that all of their stats are indeed audited. I enjoyed meeting the staff and could tell they were passionate about what they do, and I was excited about the possibility of working with them. When I got my acceptance call, I decided to take a spot in the Fall 2017 Java cohort.

Although some other bootcamps in the area are cheaper and/or offer higher scholarships, I believe TE is the best choice and worth the price. You will work with the most passionate and talented teachers, staff, and students. The curriculum covers more than other bootcamps, and I believe being there full-time and in-person (rather than part-time and/or online) makes a big difference in your success. The location in the Rev1 startup incubator is awesome, their employer network seems to be the largest, they are heavily involved in the tech community, and the Pathway Program is solid.

I can't say enough good things about the curriculum, projects, teachers, and my fellow students. The curriculum is very thorough on its own, but they also give you extra practice problems and extra material to study if you have time (which you should definitely do). The teachers and staff point you in the right directions towards other languages and CS concepts you should learn on your own, meetups and events you should go to - and many events happen right in the Rev1 building. I even got hooked up with a cool volunteer opportunity mentoring high school students who were learning Java for robotics.

There are 3 mini-projects that you do as part of the program, and one final "capstone" project for the last two weeks. The final project I did was for a real company - a startup located in the Rev1 building. I think I learned almost as much doing the project in the last 2 weeks, as I learned in the first 12 weeks. You're able to build so much upon what you've learned.

Whether you are in the Java or the C#/.NET class, ALL of the teachers and tutors are there to help you with homework, concepts, projects, technical interview practice, and even side projects. And they will still be available to help you out after you graduate.

If you're like me and a lot of other millennials who have had trouble getting interviews / job offers, the Pathway Program is extremely valuable definitely sets TE apart from other bootcamps. It covers everything you need to know about resumes, networking, job apps, HR and technical interviews, and follow-up. And then there’s “Matchmaking”. I interviewed with 9 employers that they brought in for the speed-dating-style event. Once you graduate from the program, the Pathway staff are still there to help you anytime with more career advice, interview practice, and even helping you negotiate a job offer. They have a kick-ass attitude, know how to leverage their employer network, and fought for all of us to get the jobs we wanted. (Not that they will do all the work for you – YOU get out of it what you put in.) The program is far more valuable than the career services I utilized at Ohio State, which still left me feeling really unprepared.

My results:

I gained a new professional network, marketable skills, and a portfolio which all led to more interviews than I've ever gotten at one time before in my life (many of them through "Matchmaking"). I gained the skills to do well in those interviews. I also gained some awesome life experiences, life lessons, and new friendships.

I received two job offers within two weeks of graduation, and had to cancel some other pending interviews. The offer I accepted is a permanent, full-time, full-stack development job at a Fortune 100 company, in the perfect location. I’m using all of the skills learned at TE and more. I’m making almost $30,000 more than I did at my last job and better benefits. My work-life balance is already much improved over my last jobs, especially due to the work-from-home flexibility that comes with IT. I have a good work culture, a supportive manager, and fun coworkers who all work hard. Most of these things are firsts for me and I can’t believe I’m here.

My advice to anyone considering or enrolling in TE:

1. Study as much as you can before starting class. TE does give you pre-work to complete before class starts, but if you haven't gotten that yet, start now. Use websites like freecodecamp.org, codecademy.com, khanacademy.org. I would recommend looking at free courses for HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL, Java and/or C#.

2. Do everything you can that the TE instructors give you, including extra practice problems.

3. DO EVERYTHING that the Pathway Program staff tell you to do. Follow their deadlines. Think of questions to ask them before your scheduled workshop or meeting. Help them help you, and get extra help if you need it. Keep in touch with them after graduation until you find a job.

4. Do something outside of Tech Elevator that you can add to your portfolio and talk about in interviews. This can be something small! I found an idea for a small project at rosettacode.org.  Another small thing I did was attending a 3-hour workshop at the Ohio Linux Fest where I was able to contribute to an open-source project on Github.

5. Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have any questions for an alum!

• Amazing
    - 1/25/2018
    Jeff Rhine  User Photo
    Jeff Rhine • ETL Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After a 19 year career performing various roles in a factory I suddenly found myself without a job.  While looking at my options for what to do next I found the perfect training program for me at Tech Elevator. I attended an open house and I knew immediately that this was what I wanted to do with my life. I have always had a knack for puzzles and problem solving and Tech Elevator allowed me to add a technological aspect to those skills.

As much I liked learning Java, I liked learning Java with my classmates more.  The group environment and teamwork was critical to my success in the program.  Pair Programming with another student is where I learned the most about how to be a good programmer.  You have to be able to listen to other ideas and collaborate with your partner.  I often found myself understanding the topics and problems to a much better degree just by simply thinking out loud and telling my partner what I thought the solution might be.  I would have never thought that I would gain 15 new friends out of this boot camp and I will always cherish the memories of our shared experience.

Learning everything necessary to become a full stack developer was only half of it. Tech Elevator not only taught me the skills necessary to become a programmer, they also taught me how to network and interview to land a job as a programmer.  The Pathway Program was instrumental in helping me land my first job.  Practice interviews, Employer Showcases, and Matchmaking events all helped me come out of my shell and helped me shine when I went into an interview.

The training I received at Tech Elevator helped me secure a brighter future for my family.  I hope that the program can continue to give others the same opportunities that I received.

• Nathan Falkoff  User Photo
    Nathan Falkoff • Automation Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

If you are reading all these five star reviews skeptically and asking "What's the catch? How much Kool-Aid did these people drink?" then I am writing this for you. I had absolutely no coding experience and no sentiment that technology was my passion prior to TechElevator, so don't let that deter you.

Prior to this, I actively avoided getting a full time job. I've worked previously as a delivery driver, server, video editor, fashion assistant, english teacher, petting zoo operator, and experimental medical subject. So whatever your story, don't feel out of place. Even if you took five years off to live in the jungle and study exotic fruits, you are just as qualified as anyone to do this.

The real pre-requisite you need for TechElevator is the desire to make a change. Have that and the rest will follow.

Here is what you get from Tech Elevator:

--Dedicated, knowledgable, approachable teachers who want to see you succede and provide every possible resource to make sure you don't get left behind. Also they are pretty funny and cool.

--A job placement program that is as close as you are going to get to a real life "Step by Step Guide To Getting A Job for Dummies."

--An immersive environment with 31 other lost souls from all walks of life going through a big scary transition. This is a crucial selling point -- you will not feel alone at any time in the process.  You will all be reduced to malleable goo and reformed into computer programmers together.

The stats are not padded. The job placement rate is very, very high. But to learn the skills you need, you really are going to have to work hard. There is no faking it, and no half-assing it in this program. You have to commit. You have to put the rest of your life on hold.  You will dream in code.  It will be frustrating and exhausting.  Interviewing sucks and nothing gets handed to you -- the people with hustle get jobs much much quicker.

The key is you get a lot of help along the way. The staff are what make the program, and at the core of all these reviews is the fact that everyone at TE cares about what they do. They are transparent, accountable, and open, and have managed to eliminate pretty much everything thats stupid about higher-education.

Overall, the program delivers as promised for everyone who puts in the work.  I am happy with where I ended up. I make 50k, get free healthcare, and work at a ridiculous Silicon-Valley esque start-up with bean bag lounges, free beer, and a barber who cuts my hair at work. At no point did I predict this is where I would end up. If you feel like you need to make a change and any of this resonates with you, attend an open house and feel it out yourself. Your path could surprise you too.

• Bobby Dorrance  User Photo
    Bobby Dorrance • Associate Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

At the beginning of 2017, I had been a professional video editor for nearly 7 years and the burn out was starting to kick in. In search for a new challenge and the hope of changing my career to something I was more excited about, I started to do my research. Having dabbled in coding in my free time, I knew I enjoyed it and thought it would be something I could pursue. I knew of bootcamps and after a few minutes on Google, I found Tech Elevator along with some upcoming open house dates. I attended an open house unsure of what to expect and left excited to get home and start my application.

As far as the technical side goes, Tech Elevator provided me with a top notch education on how to build full stack web applications. We learned every single step that goes into making a functional, secure, and modern looking web application. My instructor was extremely intelligent and was always so dedicated to making sure we got the most out of our time together and that we understood the material. You get thrown into the deep end on day 1 and it only gets harder every day. The success rates that Tech Elevator has is really a testament to how intelligent and dedicated the staff are to helping the students succeed through this rigorous and demanding program.

The technical knowledge that is obtained while attending Tech Elevator is astonishing, but the shining feature of Tech Elevator is the Pathway Program®. Having never interviewed for a job, or having never built a resume, or discovering the wonders LinkedIn can do for your career, there were some soft skills that I was seriously lacking. The Pathway Program trains you to be comfortable talking about yourself to other people, build professional resumes that best represent you and your newly acquired skills, develop an online presence that attracts you to more companies, and shapes you into a viable candidate for the numerous job opportunities you’ll have come graduation time.

So, what does this all equate to? For me, it resulted in a job that I couldn’t be more excited about. A 22% increase in salary, full benefits, more PTO than I could use in a year, and all in an environment and culture I’m happy to be a part of.

Tech Elevator truly is a wonderful experience. It’s an opportunity to literally change your life in 14 weeks. You can set goals on week 1 and if you work hard the entirety of the program, you’ll meet those goals near graduation. Something you don’t see in to many reviews is the friendships you’ll make along the way. It’s a special thing to be in the same room with like minded people for 14 weeks who all gave up their past jobs and put their social lives on hold to pursue their passion for programming with the hopes of bettering themselves. I met people who I am honored to call my friends and am excited to continue those friendships with.

If you’re on the fence, do it! You won’t regret it

• Incredible program
    - 12/18/2017
    Jay Brumfield  User Photo
    Jay Brumfield • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator is an amazing program.  Based on the research I did beforehand, it seemed like the obvious best choice among coding bootcamps in Columbus, and it lived up to my expectations.  My background is in education and prior to attending Tech Elevator I had almost no experience in coding.  I had spent some time just experimenting with free online resources to see if I could do it, that’s it.  The amount I’ve learned and the confidence I feel in my abilities after graduating is astronomical.  In addition, I received a job offer from an awesome company before I even graduated!  I honestly couldn’t believe it and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to go through the program.

The quality of instruction you receive at Tech Elevator is fantastic.  The instructors care about what they do and are always happy to help you.  They communicate ideas clearly and are patient when you are struggling.  As my instructor said, they are not just teaching you to program, they are teaching you how to think like a programmer, and they are very effective at it if you are ready to learn.  It is a massive amount of work and you have to be prepared to commit to much more than what you would call “full time” at a normal job, but it pays off, and it helps that you are working with people who want you to succeed as much as you do.  My instructor for the Java class is actually leaving Tech Elevator and still gave out his personal email address to everyone in the cohort and has been available to all of us for help.  I saw him a couple weeks after graduating, instructing for a videogame workshop sponsored by Tech Elevator, and afterwards he was enthusiastically encouraging people who were curious about the program to apply and explaining to them what all it entails.  This is a guy who strongly believes in the program and everything it stands for and he isn’t even being paid by them anymore.

That attitude is reflected in all of the staff.  The amount the Pathway Program staff works with you not just during the cohort but after you graduate is incredible.  The Pathway Program is the most obvious example of what sets Tech Elevator apart from other bootcamps.  It’s probably hard to overstate the value of actually sitting you down with many different employers all looking to hire junior developers.  They call this process Matchmaking and it led directly to me getting hired, something that wasn’t uncommon for the students in my class.  Even if these specific interviews don’t lead to that for you they are invaluable interview practice.  The Pathway staff do everything you can imagine to make you more “marketable” and prepared, from getting you in contact with recruiters, to helping you revise your resume, giving workshops on how to make the most of your LinkedIn and networking activities, offering career coaching sessions, and giving you all the interview practice you need.  They do this for you even after you graduate because they want to get every single one of their graduates jobs as developers.  They honestly seem to enjoy watching their students succeed.  If you are someone like me who has struggled getting call backs after applying for jobs in the past, the Pathway Program is part of what you are paying for and I advise you to make the most of it.  It’s worth every penny.

Overall, if you have the drive and ambition, and if programming is something you are honestly passionate about, Tech Elevator is absolutely the way to go.  Choosing to attend feels like one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and you’ll be working with people genuinely invested in your success.  As the staff frequently reminded us, you’ll get out what you put in.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here