tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Tech Elevator also offers intermediate-level training sessions for technology teams in topics like Javascript, Docker and Data Science which can be customized to company needs.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (160) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (34) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Java
    January 13, 2020
    Philadelphia, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    $125
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS
    January 13, 2020
    Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    $125
    January 13, 2020 - Pittsburgh
    May 11, 2020 - Pittsburgh
    September 14, 2020 - Pittsburgh

• Elizabeth Mis • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before attending Tech Elevator I was working part-time in retail and playing music on the side. Though I didn't have a background in coding, I was into computers and technology. Once I heard about Tech Elevator, I started looking into programming and what I could do with it. I was fascinated and intrigued by the things a programmer can create with code. It didn't take me long to decide that I wanted to attend Tech Elevator.

The first 4 weeks were intense, but our instructor David was very helpful. He was understanding and patient with the students. We learned everything to develop a full-stack web application from scratch. I learned so much in 14 weeks and felt a great sense of accomplishment when we graduated.

After graduating, I had several interviews lined up and felt confident going into them. It wasn’t long before I had an offer from several companies. The Pathways program was helpful in preparing us for our career change.

Tech Elevator made a major impact on my career and I couldn't be more happy with the experience. If you're on the fence about going, check out one of the student open houses and get a sense of what it's like.

• Jim • Software Engineer • Student

Prior to the class I had some experience building websites, and troubleshooting any computer and network difficulties. I had always had the desire to learn how to program, but I found it difficult to learn online, and the personal investment to attend a traditional university was unpractical for me. After completing the course I felt thoroughly prepared for the market place. I was quickly granted many interviews and was able to land my first choice.

After meeting with David and Anthony, I truly believed in their passion, ability, and confidence to provide the best possible path to achieve my goal of programming. David’s experience in the field was stunning, and Anthony’s network, boot camp knowledge, and plan to place graduates left me knowing that my future would be secure in their hands.

Throughout the class, what helped me the most was David’s teaching ability. His capacity to understand not only where the class as a whole was in terms of comprehension, but seeing where each of his students was individually was outstanding. He was able to magnificently tailor the curriculum to our own needs to help us progress. When I had questions, he continually was able to answer the questions in a way that allowed me to come to the conclusions myself. I have been in many classes before and have never had that sort of attention and support. Now, I feel exceeding confident that I am aptly prepared for my career in programming.

I feel very confident entering my first position as a junior developer. I know that I have developed my ability to code at an effective level for a beginner. Most importantly however, I know how to find the solutions to any complications I may encounter.

The opportunities I have available to me know seem endless. I can choose from nearly any industry, anywhere in the world to continue my career. As I progress in my career and continue to hone my skills, I look forward to seeing the opportunities that are sure to present themselves

The Pathway Program Tech Elevator provided us gave me great insight into the field and prepared me amazingly well in finding a beginning to my new career. The ability to hear from and ask questions to leading professionals in the Cleveland area, allowed me to understand what exactly I was getting myself into and how I could accomplish my goal. The value of a proper LinkedIn profile was aptly demonstrated and I was assisted in properly designing my own. Many different industry professionals continually critiqued my resume as I progressed through the course allowing me to state my abilities clearly and concisely. I found that the mock interviews were the most helpful process in guiding me to understand the questions that would be asked of me, and allow me to answer them properly.

• Daniel • Graduate

As you go through life there are key moments that drastically change your course in life, and, for me, the decision to attend  Tech Elevator was one of them.  After more than fifteen years in retail I was treading water in a position that had become just  a job to me, something I had to do to pay the bills.  I had done some work on my own designing a website using HTML, CSS,  PHP and a little Javascript, and I found it fascinating, but lacking direction and support I couldn't see myself getting a job  doing it.  What Tech Elevator offered was an opportunity to start a career that I had a passion for, something I wanted to do  rather than something I had to do.

During the course, mornings were dedicated to lecture, and afternoons were dedicated to hands on coding exercises.  This  worked well for me because I find I retain knowledge best when I get to apply it, which in this case means writing code, and  writing code is something we had ample opportunity to do.  David, our instructor did a great job explaining the concepts and  syntax of coding, and was always willing to answer questions before, during, or even after class in the evenings.  We learned  how to design and code Java web applications from start to finish, using the tools, frameworks, and processes that are in use  in the field today.  Overall it was a lot of work, I lived and breathed code for those three or so months, but it really prepared me to enter the workforce as a junior developer.

Another major component to the Tech Elevator course is the Pathway Program.  This is a series of workshops and panels  with industry insiders centered around giving you the skills you need to actually get a job using the coding skills you're  learning.  Coming from someone who had worked at the same company for 14 years and had little experience with  interviewing and resume writing, this was invaluable to me.  Practice interviews, resume building workshops, improving your  Linked In profile, the whole team supports you from day one in getting you ready to land that first job. They even bring employers to the school so you can get that valuable in person connection. I felt like everyone wanted to see me succeed on a personal level and they were willing to go out of their way to help me make it happen.

Overall, I can say that I highly recommend Tech Elevator.  As I mentioned, I had done some self study previously, but Tech  Elevator offers benefits you can't get learning on your own.  You get top notch technical training, from instructors with a ton of  real world experience, and you get the support of a team dedicated to helping you start your new career.  But the proof is in  the pudding right?   What was my outcome?  Well, I accepted a job offer within a month of graduating with a starting salary that  doubled what I made before the course, doing something that I truly have a passion for.  Like I said, there are moments that  change your course in life, and if you're looking to make a change, I'd say Tech Elevator is a great place to do it.

• Christopher • Graduate

After several years working in industry (international trade) I wanted to study coding both to add to my skill set and to open up new career paths. Tech Elevator's lead Java instructor, David, brough his extensive career experience into the classroom - he proved to be a great teacher, really devoted, and I felt he truly cared about the progress of our class, often responding to email queries on homework assignments late into the night and early mornings, and also working one on one to bring me forward on topics where I struggled.

The bootcamp covers full stack web development from back to front end, which means a lot of material in the time period. So workload is high, and pre-reading / pre-preparation definitely important… The school provides all this.

The resume and interview workshops targeting tech jobs were extremely valuable, as was being plugged into Tech Elevator’s professional network of employers and recruiters- a huge bonus of studying at this school, particularly if you’re network is not in this field.

After gaining these skills, I feel confident to go into software development positions, and intend to keep learning more skills as I go forward, which will open more and more doors for my career.

I should also mention that the people (both classmates and the school staff) were really friendly and I built some great new friendships over the course.

• Do Not Doubt It
    - 9/4/2019
    Anonymous • Software Engineer I • Graduate

Tech Elevator is something that seems too good to be true. I personally dont think I would had believed it myself until I had seen first-hand someones life change for the better in 14 weeks. After personally seeing someone go through the process and graduate Tech Elevator and earn an outstanding job, I decided to take the chance and I do not doubt it for a second. Tech Elevator teaches you technical skills, improves your professional development, and surrounds you in an overwhelmingly supportive environment. If you are looking to enter a career in software, Tech Elevator is an outsanding opprotunity to pursue.

If you want a job as a programmer, this is probably your best option, except for actually getting a degree. The technologies covered in the curriculum were a good selection for full stack web development for the most part. I believe they have added more discussion of front end JS framework recently. The classes are taught by experienced instructors, not TAs, which is what makes Tech Elevator stand out, and experienced tutors are always available.

The jobs program was helpful because you get the chance to interview with companies. Some of the advice given, however, was questionable, such as requiring students to build a social media presence. I also was disappointed that the environment created by staff was at times less than professional and was not always respectful of students. Additionally, if you are serious about becoming a programmer, you should know that basically zero computer science topics are covered at Tech Elevator. When you go into the field, your colleagues with degrees will be working with background computer science knowledge that you don't have unless you seek it out yourself, and eventually, you'll be at a disadvantage.

Overall, basically everybody from my group got a good technology job and a career path -- although not everyone got a job as a programmer. Despite the downsides I mentioned, I think it is probably the best bootcamp in the region.

A little about me. I did my undergrad in biology thinking I would go do some research. I was feeling uninspired, but still felt some pressure to make a decision about what to do. It's no doubt that I'm a procrastinator, so after a long time (about as long as this long essay) I decided I wanted to be a software developer. Once I had my mindset, it was no big deal. I joined Tech Elevator in August 2017 and, after graduating, I've been working happily ever after as software dev for almost 4 months.

Maybe a little about you. Are you passionate about technology and a career in software development? Maybe it inspires you to create something that's never existed before. Maybe it's one of the few fields you view yourself being challenged and inspired to learn everyday. Or maybe a career in software development provides a lucrative opportunity for a stable income and financial independence.

Software development checks all three goals for me, and yet when I started, I was intimidated by the mountains of knowledge that lay before me. I tried free code camp and other free resources. I read through MDN documentation and none of it seemed to make sense. I felt like I would have to drown myself in minute details before being able to write my own application.

Suddenly, I got a suggestion. Maybe if I was serious about breaking into this field I should attend a bootcamp. I remembered reading about bootcamps before, but I had my suspicions. What ultimately made me take the plunge was that I knew I really liked programming. I was determined to break my own path even if the bootcamp provided me nothing else but more time to learn.

I'll admit that I had just looked into one other bootcamp before calling Tech Elevator. Although I had made the cut there, it just didn't feel like my interviewers had any interest in me personally. In fact, I could immediately see a difference when I interviewed at Tech Elevator with Andria. I knew by her questions that she was actually interested in my success.

And I think that's an important thing to consider. If you are determined to go down the bootcamp route, allow yourself to be selected, but also be selective. In fact, the more exposure you can get the better. See if you can't talk to the instructors, current students, and past.  Evaluating the people you'll be with for the next few lifetimes of your life is an important skill to hone. It'll also come in handy when evaluating companies that interview you.

The interview went well and I got selected for Tech Elevator. About a month before the program was about to start, I had a lot of doubts. Do I really need a bootcamp? What will my friends think about me if I don't get a job? Will my parents laugh at me? A real man does everything on his own right? Wrong. Sorry for the vulgar language, but I would tell whoever that guy was to get stuffed.

Then the program started, and I'll be honest, I was pretty relaxed. I don't think everyone was, but for me, I was about to learn some really cool things and I was excited. There are two separate curriculums (that do overlap on some fundamentals): one for C# and one for Java. I was in the Java group and I made this choice by flipping a coin.

I actually don't think it matters which language you choose for the bootcamp, as you can work for a company that uses a completely different language (eg. I currently work in python). But for the long term, I think it does matter. It depends on the language your team/company will use, your personal coding style, and the level of interest you have in learning the dirty details of a language. The article here, https://www.learneroo.com/modules/12/nodes/94, explains something you might consider when choosing a language.

Anyway, once you're at the point of attending classes, at some point the days and weeks might seem to go by in a blur. If that ever happens, then its time to pause and slow things down. Don't become a zombie! It's important to have your own vision and take actions to make it a reality. You'll find that if you look, there are plenty of opportunities to 1) have your own side projects, 2) explore the tech community through meetups, and 3) hone in on what you love/hate about software development.

The bootcamp is really there to be a broad introduction of the field. The instructors are great and they will really leave you with a sense of how the different tools fit together to make a complex web application run. But they won't be with you forever (unless you develop an intimate friendship with them. Then maybe). You'll have to learn how to teach yourself, so seeing why the instructors chose what they chose to teach is also important. A lot of my first couple of months at my job were learning the tech stack and not getting bogged down in the details. The more detailed investigation of the tech stack will also happen, but it's better to schedule that later when you already have some xp under the belt.

Finally, a major advantage of Tech Elevator is the pathway program. All I will say is that listen to everything Kelly or ${currentPathwayDirector} tells you to do and implement it well. Don't question the status quo. Bow down in submission. It's the only way. I was always late to class, but never with my pathway program homework. It's important.

Anyway, thanks for reading! If you have any questions or would like to get in touch, feel free to send me an email at IAMNOTAROBOT010111@gmail.com.

• Prepare to learn
    - 6/7/2017

Tech Elevator is a bootcamp that helps you get the base knowledge needed to start your career in computer programming. The most important thing to remember is that you get out what you put in. I cannot stress enough to put in the work to learn the concepts, even if it means giving up something you enjoy temporarily. You may see your friends and family less for a few months, but the pay off will be worth it.

The instructors are readily available during the day and throughout the night as well, just shoot them a message! They genuinely want to help you succeed!

• Anonymous • Solution Developer • Graduate

Before starting Tech Elevator, I felt dissatisfied and under-utilized in a marketing role at a company with a toxic culture. I did some self-study of HTML, CSS, and other basic programming concepts online, but I got to the point where I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I interviewed at Tech Elevator and in learning more about them, I was impressed by David Wintrich’s experience and his vision for the bootcamp, along with the structured aspect of the career development program that runs in tandem with the technical curriculum.

Tech Elevator did an excellent job of teaching the technical skills AND the soft skills that you need to land a job. The technical skills they teach are directly relevant to what a junior developer needs on the job from day one, and they provide a great foundation for learning other languages. As an example, I enrolled in the Java program at Tech Elevator, but I am now programming in C# at my job. They teach you how to learn quickly, since languages and concepts are continually changing in tech.

For the soft skills aspect, they prepare you through a series of exercises, self-assessments, and practice interviews that not only get you ready for the arduous job search process, but also expose you to industry experts and networking opportunities.

All of this being said, it is called a boot camp for a reason. If you bring your best self to the program every day, put in the hours necessary for the job search and the technical curriculum (which could be 60-70+ hours a week), then you will get great job offers on the other end. Like any pursuit in life, if you expect a job to be offered to you on a platter without putting any work in, then you will be disappointed. Tech Elevator’s staff and curriculum are there to support and invest in diligent and ambitious learners from all walks of life. It was a great experience from start to finish, and I now get to enjoy and learn from an alumni network of bright and motivated friends and colleagues. I highly recommend Tech Elevator.

• No Regrets!
    - 10/2/2016
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

I chose Tech Elevator because of David Wintrich's experience. He was the architect of Pay.gov (the government's paypal), which deals with $10 billion every year. I knew he had to be good at what he did, and I knew that he had also hired tons of junior-level software developers. He's an excellent teacher and leader.

Course breakdown:

4 weeks - Java Fundamentals (or C#/.Net, if you're in that course)

3 weeks - Web Apps

2 weeks - Databases

2 weeks - Client-Side Apps

1 week - Security

The pinnacle of the course, however, is the matchmaking event. TE has employeers come in, and you get a 25-minute interiew with each of those you're assigned. They take recommendations, and you'll get your top 3-4 choices plus other randomly assigned companies. This event makes the whole course worth it. I received 8 on-site interveiws from the matchmaking event, and I had a few job offers to leverage against one another before graduation.

I now make 3.5x what I used to every year.

I learned a ton, made some great new friends, and switched into an exciting new career. The course is smart, exciting, and overwhelming at times, but it really paid off, and I'm grateful I extended the time, money, and effort. It was worth every cent.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.