tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Tech Elevator also offers intermediate-level training sessions for technology teams in topics like Javascript, Docker and Data Science which can be customized to company needs.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (164) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (33) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Java
    January 13, 2020
    Philadelphia, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    $125
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS
    January 13, 2020
    Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    $125
    January 13, 2020 - Columbus
    May 11, 2020 - Columbus
    September 14, 2020 - Columbus

• Stacy H. • Software Developer • Graduate

I did a lot of research before choosing to attend Tech Elevator. I met with at least four alumni of Tech Elevator, as well as alumni and staff from all the other local coding bootcamps. I decided to go with Tech Elevator because it was clear each and every member of the staff fully invests themselves in their students. Their priority is on the individual success of each student, not on their marketing or next move.

Two things sealed the deal: 1) they ask for feedback on a daily basis and actually make positive changes based on what students say (change you actually SEE), and 2) career coaching starts DAY ONE.

My expectations were exceeded, especially in the quality of education in my instructor. He picked up on my preferred teaching style from the get-go and tailored each interaction with me based on how I best learned. I felt challenged, but never overwhelmed.

More importantly, my confidence soared. I feel confident in my decision to change careers and pursue sofware development, and know I'll go on to do amazing things because of my education.

I also know I keep amazing company in the alumni network. Each and every fellow student contributed to each other's success, whether in doing homework or interviewing with potential employers. I'm going to miss all the interesting, fun, and philosophical conversations I had sitting around the kitchen island.

If you're on the fence, go to one of the open houses or learn-to-code meetups and get in there. Meet people, start a conversation, and get a taste for coding. If you decide to join, commit 100% and you'll get more than that in return.

• Kasi Balakrishnan • Graduate

Tech Elevator deserves a lot of credit in ensuring a seamless transition into IT domain even for people with non-IT background. Their course material design is perfect. The expertise in offer from their staff is top notch. Josh Tucholski was my trainer for the 14 week course. I'm grateful to his methodical approach and his excellent mentorship skills. Pathway program also helped me in facing mock interviews which gave a sense of what to expect in a real interview and the match making event was a great source for networking. My career change wouldn't have been possible without Tech Elevator.

• Rachel Funk • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

Tech Elevator was right for me because of the high caliber of instructors as well as the nationally recognized professional development offered through the Pathway Program.

My instructors were experienced, brilliant, patient people who truly wanted every student to understand the concepts.  They were dedicated to my success.  Individual tutoring sessions were available when I needed extra help.  Because of the small class size, you get a lot of one-on-one attention and learning opportunities.

A lot of bootcamps can provide a student with the necessary coursework, but some of those camps aren't dedicated to helping students land that first position in the field.  The Pathway Program at Tech Elevator is dedicated to helping students find employment upon graduation.  The program is very comprehensive for developing and perfecting soft skills needed for today's tech professional. Tech Elevator is committed to bringing top employers to meet and interact with students on site.  In fact, the Match Making event toward the end of the program allows students to participate in on-site interviews with up to 10 employers in two days.  A lot of those initial interviews result in call backs for many students.  I was fortunate enough to have three additional interviews with highly respected companies because of the connections I made during the Match Making event.  It was not only an incredible experience, but a highly valuable networking opportunity that wouldn’t have been available to me otherwise.

• Nathan • Junior Developer • Graduate

I attended Tech Elevator's Cleveland-campus .Net cohort in early 2017. Prior to graduation, I had already secured a great job and couldn't recommend the program highly enough. My experience throughout was phenomenal - the teachers are extremely talented and friendly, the school is well-provisioned and equipped, and the career assistance and placement was above and beyond my expectations.

The teachers are for sure the highlight of the program, and are unto themselves enough reason to choose Tech Elevator over other boot camps. They are all highly knowledgeable industry veterans, but on top of that they really put effort and care into their teaching. The classes are well-structured and designed, and having spent several months on the job post-graduation, I can say with authority they are indeed relevant and prepare you for actual development work.

The workspace at TE is great. It's available 24-7 for student use (everyone gets parking and building keys), and is a great place to hang out. I especially enjoyed coming in on Saturday or Sunday, hanging out, grabbing lunch, and just leisurely studying or working with other students in a relaxed environment. Code for a few hours, maybe do some white-boarding then catch a few games of ping pong. Every student gets a powerful laptop for the duration of the course, which is nice as it puts everyone on the same level and ensures everything "just works." There are large monitors available around the classrooms and work spaces, a full kitchen and facilities, and couches to relax on (or fall asleep on when you're just exhausted).

In addition to the teaching staff, the career assistance staff at TE are again reason enough to choose their program over others. There is a distinct lack of soft-skills/career training in most boot camps, and TE combats this with ongoing work throughout the program. They help with resume building, cover letters and LinkedIn work, introducing numerous local companies throughout the program both in-person at events and lunches, and really put you in touch with potential employers in their expansive network. At the end of the program is a large career faire where each student selects and interviews with a handful of companies (generally 5-10 a person) and many students received job offers as a result. Long story short, they really put powerful connections in your hands that make the job search a significantly easier process.

At the end of the day, there are several boot camp options in Cleveland, and dozens more online. However, I can honestly say I believe none will serve you as well as Tech Elevator. I had worked for almost a decade in business prior to wanting a career change, and without a doubt coming to TE was the best career move I've ever made.

• Jack • Graduate

I have always been into computers and found that developing Applications was a definate passion of mine, but wanted to learn more efficiently and believed that a bootcamp would provide a better learning experience then I can have just reading books(taught myself Python). So after looking for a bootcamp that I believe I could excel in, I picked Tech Elevator. Mostly, for the reason of the main Java instructor David. He has done a lot in his career and thought that he would be a great instructor. For the most part the classes were decent. They had too many students in a class at once and that should have tipped me off that they are just about the money then, but I still participated and felt that the course material was taught pretty well. The problem is the money back guarantee is nonexistent. If you don't get hired within the two days of the company's coming in to interview you, then you are out of luck. They will not do anymore to help you in finding a job. They say they do but I have never seen this to be true. I have even called the supposedly people they have contacted and not one of them have said that they have talked or discussed anything to anyone. Then, after graduation they really became nonexistent. I had to chase them down and basically send multiple emails and phone calls before I got anyone to respond and at times it could take up to two weeks or a month before anyone would finally respond.

Lets go back to the money back guarantee, (again nonexistent) I made it very clear that I was on a leave of absence from my current job (in which I was not getting paid) so I can take this bootcamp. The CEO told me that I could go back to work and still be eligible for the money back guarantee. Unfortunately he lied and said that he would never have agreed to that. That right there told me that they don't care about the students and they are at the end of the day looking for that check and nothing else. I am a father raising two boys, cleaning out my life savings to take this class and provide a better future for my boys and instead I got cheated by this school. Plus while we were discussing this, he tried to play it off as I was stupid and not intellectual enough to learn the criteria. What he doesn't realize is, it wasn't the programming I wasn't getting, it was the job help and pathway program they had that wasn't doing their job. The sad part is all I wanted was to find that dream job. If they truly would of done what they were suppose to and help me find that job I would of had one a lot sooner, not a year later and I got a job where I'm not even doing anything they have taught me. Overall be wary of the founder, he is like a used car salesman and will tell you everything you want to hear just to take it away when you need it most. I would not recommend going to this school.

Response From: Anthony Hughes of Tech Elevator
    Title: CEO
    Tuesday, Jun 06 2017
    Jack,

We’re sorry that you feel your experience at Tech Elevator was not a worthwhile one. We pride ourselves on providing a quality experience, and the many authentic, incredible reviews we have demonstrate that your experience is not a typical one.   In fact, in the latest reporting of outcomes, Tech Elevator’s job placement rate is one of the highest of all bootcamps in the country and we are proud of the quality we have in our Pathway process and hiring network, for those who choose to follow it.

I wish that you had been able to capture one of the many opportunities presented to you through our early introductions and additional efforts. We’ve extended many resources to you beyond the program, including the personal contacts and calls I have made for you, and we continue to support our Tech Elevator alumni post-graduation, which is also evident in many other reviews.

I have deep respect for the commitments that our students make and their personal investment to improve the lives of both themselves and their families.  It’s an investment we take very seriously. If you would like further support, as I have offered privately in the past but will also offer again here, I welcome you to contact me personally.

- 5/13/2017
    Eric George • QA Analyst • Graduate

I graduated from the Java program in April 2017. I previously worked as a photojournalist, then freelance photography and graphic design before deciding that I needed to expand my skillset. I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and was immediately sold on the program.

The staff at Tech Elevator is what sets them apart from other coding bootcamps. Every member of the team is knowledgeable, supportive, and committed to your success. The Java instructor, Casey Borders, has years of experience and a teaching style that makes difficult concepts easy to understand while keeping lecture engaging and exciting. He was always available and happy to help.

The Pathway Program exceeded my expectations in every way. It provides a roadmap with resume writing and interview workshops, employer networking events, and both technical and behavioral interview practice. I owe the two job offers I got shortly after graduation to the Pathway Program.

I couldn't be happier with my experiences at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend them to anyone looking to start a new career in the tech field.

- 5/12/2017
    Joe O • Graduate

I couldn’t be happier with my experience. When considering other bootcamps, you might find framework-specific models that seem more advanced; learning Android development, for example. Tech Elevator’s focus on foundational concepts is what sets them apart. This way, students have an understanding of what the new technology is, but they also know how to work in the older technologies that businesses still rely on. I was pragmatic when deciding on Tech Elevator; some online-only bootcamps offer more advanced technology stacks, but I considered it more realistic to complete an in-person bootcamp. I’m incredibly happy with my experience.

I especially want to recognize my instructor, John Fulton, for his tireless work ethic throughout the cohort. Tech Elevator’s .NET curriculum is expansive, and you’d be hard-pressed to find somebody who could teach all of it. Since this was his first cohort, John had some serious learning to do. All of my doubts were eliminated after receiving John’s messages on nights and weekends. His innate curiosity drove him to follow up with answers to the smallest and most insignificant questions no matter how full his plate was. After teaching this cohort, I have no doubt that John will lead many more students to successful development careers.

I also want to acknowledge Tech Elevator’s Columbus career mentor, Katie Detore. Katie ended the bootcamp by giving all 28 students her personal cell phone number to ensure they stay in touch throughout the job search. The 98% job placement rate is no surprise after seeing how invested she is in each student’s career. Weeks after the bootcamp, I remain in touch with Katie, and she’s still invested in finding me my dream job.

Maybe I’m overly optimistic, but I couldn’t be happier with my experience.

• Corey Schnedl • Programmer/Analyst • Graduate

Tech Elevator is an exciting game changer for anyone looking to make the leap to get into software development.

Before attending Tech Elevator, I was struggling to make progress in teaching myself how to code. I tried things like Codeacademy, Udemy, and countless youtube tutorials, but was never able to get to the point where I felt confident applying to a job as a developer. I knew about the growing demand for people with programming skills, and wanted to bridge the gap as quickly as possible. After a ton of research, I applied to Tech Elevator, and looking back, I could not possibly be happier with my decision to enroll.

The instructors at Tech Elevator were all incredible. Having been through four years at Ohio State, I can still say that my Java instructor, Casey Borders, is without a doubt the most effective, brilliant, and inspirational teacher that I have ever had in my life. He is extremely dedicated to making sure that you are as prepared as you can possibly be for your first job as a software developer. He truly has a talent for taking incredibly complex material and breaking it down into lessons that everyone can understand. He gave me a very strong foundation in coding and the more importantly, the confidence to walk into job interviews and nail any technical exercises with ease.

Along with the intense formal technical training that Tech Elevator offered me, I made drastic improvments to my professionalization skills. Very important details about what specificially to put in a resume, how to build a linked-in page that catches employers' attentions, and how to prepare for interviews are just three of the many skills that Katie and Terry helped me perfect over the past 14 weeks. I had the opportunity to meet with over fifteen amazing companies and was able to build my network in ways that I would never had dreamed of doing by myself. As someone who really struggled to have confidence in stressful behavioral interviews before Tech Elevator, I can look back with a sense of pride when I see how far I've come, all thanks to the countless hours of hard work that Katie and Terry put in to doing practice interviews with me. I owe my success landing my exciting first job as a software developer so quickly to their hard work.

Tech Elevator blew my expectations out of the water. It is everything that a coding bootcamp should be and more. I would reccommend it to anyone who is excited about technology and is looking to make a career out of it.

• JP • Java Analyst • Graduate

If there is one thing that sets Tech Elevator apart from any other educational experience I have had it is the People.

And for me, the people that set Tech Elevator so far ahead of it's competition came in three forms:

1. The Instructors

2. The Staff

3. The Students

The Instructors - During my time at Tech Elevator I was given instruction by highly skilled professionals who took the time to meet with me individually, who helped me in areas where I was lacking understanding, and who pushed me to try to solve problems in different ways to develop new skills.  It wasn't just the my in classroom instructor who worked with me either, the classes are small enough that all the instructors at Tech Elevator knew who I was, the types of things I was working on, and could jump in to help when I had questions.  Working at Tech Elevator and helping students is what these instructors do and they were always available (even late at night) to look at something with you.

The Staff - The staff at Tech Elevator went beyond all my expectations for availablity.  From the CEO on down the people who worked there knew who I was, what I was working on, what companies I was interested in working for what, and were always willing to help.  There Career Services are second to none, they seem to know everyone. Furthermore, you simply can't ask for more than having a team that is wiling to pick up the phone to call personal contacts on your behalf to help you get an interview.

The Students - Unlike a lot of environment it never felt like I was in competition with my classmates.  Whether we were working on projects or individual assignments I knew I had a 15 other people I could turn to if I had questions.  The students in my class freely shared there notes and diagrams and worked together so that we all moved forward.  Additionally, I felt very confident in my decision to attend Tech Elevator, when I found out there where students attending their classes from as far away as Colorado and Texas.  While it may not be typical, I certainly liked that when I came in on a Saturday to do some reading or to complete an assignment I could expect to see at least a couple other students there working on various projects. I never felt alone in this journey, and it was really nice to be able to count on my classmates when I had questions.

I had a great experience at Tech Elevator.  I highly recommend the course, and at the very least you should look into the Tech Elevator program so you can use it as a measuring stick to see how other boot camps measure up. This experience is first class and it shows.

• Do it
    - 2/14/2017
    Nate Anderson • Database Developer • Student

Fantastic program.

I had been trying to become a developer for about 18 months before Tech Elevator landed in my back yard. While that helped contextualize what I was learning, it was by no means necessary. Several of the people in my class of 12 had never coded beyond a few things on Codecademy, and all 12 of us received offers.

Casey was a great instructor - able to dive deep into just about anything we asked him (and we asked a LOT of questions), but also up front when he didn't know something. He was caring, supportive, 100% engaged with the students, and went through the first few weeks with a nasty cold but still showing up every day ready to go. I did a practice interview with the current .NET instructor, and between the two instructors there is something like 40-50 years of experiences in the field.

While the technical instruction was great, from the first day of the program the focus was on getting that first job. Katie and Terry put in an incredible amount of work for us. Columbus was new for Tech Elevator, which meant potentially an uphill struggle for TE to get recognition and respect with area employers, but those two killed it. They both have a background in HR and recruiting, and not only did they know right people to talk to raise awareness for the program, they also were on hand to answer all our (my) slightly panicked questions. After many rounds of practice interviews, LinkedIn and resume reviews and personal branding workshops, I was able to walk into an interview feeling like if I wasn't hired it was the interviewee's fault. I got that much confidence in myself and what I had to offer.

Finally, I am working in Vermont. There was a tech conference here, during the program, and I flew out to attend. For anyone on the fence about TE, wondering if you'll be able to get a job outside Ohio, the answer is yes. While I wasn't able to utilize the network TE has built, the staff helped me navigate the long-distance job search.

Two final points: in my current job I'm using none of the technologies I learned at Tech Elevator, and the same is true for many of the others students. So don't worry too much about what your first language is. Finally, for anyone long hair and a beard - you don't have to shave to get a job! (I wish I had known that earlier)

- 1/9/2017
    Hilary • Applications Developer • Graduate

I quit my high school teaching job of nine years at the end of last school year to pursue a career in technology.  I was enrolled at Ohio State part-time but was not looking forward to a 2+ year process.  My mother heard the Tech Elevator ad on the radio and encouraged me to apply.  They had run several cohorts in Cleveland but this was the first one in Columbus.  I checked them out online and everything seemed legit - lots of positive reviews and students who landed real jobs.  I completed the online assessment and was invited in for an interview and second assessment.  I liked the staff members I met during the interview (on a Thursday), and was excited to find out I was accepted the following Tuesday.

The program is intense.  I have multiple graduate-level degrees and this was as challenging if not more than all of those programs (including law school).  The good news is that it's over quickly.  The bad news is that it's over quickly.  I loved everyone I met there - both staffers and fellow students, and once we got into the groove and got to know each other the 14 weeks flew by.  The Java instructor, Casey Borders, is amazing.  Patient and knowledgeable.  A true coding wizard!  You will be there from 9-4:30 most days.  If you're like me and aren't always the best about getting things done at home, you should probably stay until you get all of your homework finished.  Try not to fall behind as things can pile on quickly.  The reading may not seem as exciting as the coding but it will help you be a better programmer and pick up the language and vocabulary to be an effective communicator.

Around week 10 is the Matchmaking Event and this is where the job-hunting really picked up for me.  Before the event, we worked on our resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and interviewing skills through the Pathways component of the program.  Each student has 8-10 interviews back-to-back.  I was so nervous, but it was so helpful to be forced to get over the nervousness.  After the event, I received 5ish follow-ups from employers who attended and tons of promising feedback.  One of my second interviews was about 10-days after the event and I received a job offer about 3-4 days after that (a full 2 weeks before graduation).  It is at a large national bank and the pay was at the top end of my anticipated salary range.  Today was my first day of work and I'm excited for everything in store for the future.  And so thankful to Tech Elevator for their expertise and assistance getting my foot in the door.

• Java Developer
    - 12/16/2016
    Gabriel • Full-Stack Java Developer • Graduate

As someone changing careers, I felt the need for more formalized training in Web Development to get my skills and knowledge to a level that would enable me to land a job.  The curriculum at Tech Elevator was exactly what I was looking for.  With a thorough training in full-stack web development I learned all the fundamentals I would need to write a fully functional web application, and more importantly, have the skills to get a job.  Another key factor I was looking for was excellent teaching staff.  My instructor was everything I could have hoped for: knowledgeable, patient, experienced, and someone who loved teaching.  The career assistance at Tech Elevator was also incredible.  From major players like Chase and Huntington to smaller software development companies, there were plenty of connections made for us that made the job hunting experience much easier.  If you are someone who is thinking about a bootcamp, I cannot recommend Tech Elevator enough.  I am incredibly glad I did it.

• Great Success
    - 9/22/2016
    Dan • App Programmer • Graduate

Short Version:

If you want to pursue a career in software development/programming, Tech Elevator is a great place to help you reach that goal. It’s not cheap (no bootcamp really is) and it’s not easy (harder than any semester I experienced in university), but if you put in the effort, you will succeed. At the start of the course, I had very little technical experience.  By the end of the course I had 3 job offers. For the first time in my life, I was able to choose where I wanted to work. I didn’t just have to take whichever job was offered to me. Now I’m working for a great company and I have a career that has a lot of growth opportunity. I mentioned that the course is expensive, but my annual salary increased by more than the cost of the tuition.  Everyone’s situation is different, but chances are that it won’t take you very long to break even.

Long Version:

First off, I’ll tell you a little about myself (Skip to the next paragraph if you don’t care about me…it’s fine…I get it.) in hopes that you’ll see that you don’t need to be a computer whiz with a technical background to be successful in the bootcamp or to break into this career field. I took 2 years of Computer Aided Drafting courses in high school, so I was comfortable with technology but I didn’t know anything about programming. I went on to college where I earned a bachelor’s degree in business. After graduation, I spent a few years as a Transportation Manager. After doing the same thing for a while, I reached a point where I got the urge to learn something new, so I enrolled in a Web Development course at a community college. I really enjoyed it, so I started looking at ways to make a career out of it but all of the educational routes looked like they would take 2-4 years since I was a business major and didn’t have many of the pre-requisites. I didn’t have the time to start college all over. That’s when I learned about coding/programming/dev bootcamps. I’m from Cleveland, so I was really surprised when I found that there were multiple bootcamps in the area. I visited Tech Elevator and another bootcamp in the area and came to the conclusion that Tech Elevator was the best fit for me.  The deciding factors for me were the instructor and the focus on developing the soft skills needed to land a job (no matter how much I hated the soft skills…I knew that it was a weak point for me that I wanted/needed to work on).

Now let’s talk about the bootcamp.  First of all, I think it’s really important to visit a bootcamp in-person so you can actually meet the people that will be teaching you and guiding you through this change in your career and to see the space where you’re going to be learning. You’re going to spend a lot of time in this facility with these people. With that being said, I felt very fortunate to be taught by an instructor that was so knowledgeable and experienced (lookin’ at you David Wintrich). There was also great support from Josh, Craig, Terry, Andria, Anthony, and Carol. The facilities and equipment provided at the Cleveland campus were great and I’m sure that quality will be continued in Columbus.

The course itself was great. We would start the day with a quick quiz so that the instructor could get an idea of our grasp on the previous day’s material.  After reviewing the quiz, we would review anything else anybody had questions about, whether it was from the day before or 3 weeks ago. After reviewing, we would typically have lecture until lunch time.  After lunch we would have hands-on work for the rest of the day. Sometimes we would work on our own, but we usually had a partner and did a lot of pair-programming (“Pair programming” is a practice where two programmers sit next to each other and work on code.  The “driver” does the typing and the “navigator” watches over the code as it’s typed.  The two programmers bounce ideas off of each other and they frequently switch roles.) Along with the hands-on work, you’ll often be assigned reading. Sometimes you’ll finish your work by 4:30 or 5:00pm, but you should really expect to put in more hours at night and on the weekends. The course was broken up into “modules” that were a few weeks long. After each module, we would complete a “mini-capstone” project where we would have a chance to build a small application that would encompass the material from that module and any previous modules.  This was a good build up to the final capstone project which we got to work on for the final 2 weeks of the course before presenting them to our peers and families at the graduation ceremony.

I went to what I consider to be an academically strong university before I attended Tech Elevator. I’m not saying that to toot my own horn, but rather I want to give a baseline to others who have already attended a university. This program required more time and effort than any semester I ever experienced during my undergrad studies. They say that this program is like “drinking from a fire hose”.  Sometimes it’s going to make you feel like you got hit by the fire truck after you’ve had your little drink. If you’re like me, you’re going to be uncomfortable, but it really is a good test of mental toughness. It shows you how much you can really do when you push yourself to the limit.

A great benefit of the program was all of the career assistance that was provided.  Each week we had an employer come in to speak to us about their company and we frequently had guest speakers talking to us about topics ranging from LinkedIn profiles to emotional intelligence. The biggest benefit to me was the technical interview practice and the Employer Matchmaking event. The technical interview practice starts with a mock technical interview with one of the instructors and then moves on to a mock technical interview with a volunteer from a local tech company. The reason this was so great for me is that I felt like I flopped on this mock interview, but it was ok cause you’re being given a safe place to fail and the person interviewing you will give you a lot of feedback. After that practice interview, I pretty much knew what I needed to focus on and I felt so much more comfortable. I know that it helped me because I had nothing but positive feedback from all of my real technical interviews. The Employer Matchmaking event was a day where 20+ employers came in and held 30-minute interviews all day. I had 9 one-on-one interviews in a day and while it was kind of scary at first, I had a lot of fun and ultimately met my future employer (we’re doing great, thanks for asking).

Here’s the part you are probably most concerned about… I ended up with 3 job offers (2 before the bootcamp even ended).  I actually had to end the interview process with another company and I had pretty much stopped applying for jobs after I received my first offer (I’m not suggesting you do the same, I’m just saying I wasn’t struggling to find people that wanted to give me a shot). One of my offers came from a company outside of Tech Elevator’s hiring network and the company wasn’t even aware of the bootcamp, so I think that’s a pretty good indicator that I was equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to land a job. Another interesting point is that although I was in the Java cohort, I ended up taking a C#/.NET job.  So you’re going to learn the language for the course you enroll in, but that won’t necessarily pigeon hole you into that language because you’re going to learn the principles of Object Oriented Programming and you’re going to “learn how to learn” programming languages. You’re not just buying a fast-pass to a job though…you’re going to have to put a lot of blood, sweat, and coffee into this.

I realize this is a lot of information and that some of it might sound intimidating, but if you put in the work and you really WANT to do this, everything will be just fine.

My Advice:

Do everything. Read every page you’re assigned to read. Complete every project. Keep up with the work… you don’t want to fall behind. When you get stuck on something, set a limit for how long you will spin your wheels before asking for help. You’ll learn a lot by trying to figure out problems on your own, but there’s no point in spending 4 hours on one little problem. Take advantage of being surrounded by really smart people. Stick around or meet up after class with classmates to do work together. Do your own work, then compare with your classmate and talk to them about how/why they solved the problem the way they did. Give yourself some time to relax. The class material is important, but kicking ass on the ping pong table is also important. Enjoy the experience, because you probably won’t ever do anything like this again!

• Chris Andrikanich • Web Developer • Graduate

Fourteen weeks of intense instruction at Tech Elevator led me to a great opportunity as a web developer in the industry. After 18 years, this was a risky move on my part, but to gain a marketable skill that allowed me to pivot into a new industry, it was the right one.

The experience David Wintrich brings to his instruction, along with an experienced staff, and a space that fosters collaboration and learning, for those who choose to venture through this boot camp, the tools for success are available and present.

The boot camp model isn't easy. But, Tech Elevator is structured for each student to get out of the program, what you put into it.

If you trust the process, focus, work hard, ask questions, and work together, then Tech Elevator will help you gain that marketable skill that will get you a great job in the industry.

You can read more about my story here: https://www.coursereport.com/blog/alumni-spotlight-chris-andrikanich-of-tech-elevator

• Carl • Software Developer • Graduate

Over the several years I worked as a scientist for a large corporation, I grew increasingly dissatisfied with my job, largely because I was doing more administrative work than problem solving.  After beginning to learn a little programming on my own, I read about Tech Elevator in the newspaper and attended an open house; I then talked with alumni and spoke with people in the tech industry about Tech Elevator.  I decided that a Tech Elevator bootcamp would be an economical, pragmatic way to learn an in-demand skill and find a fulfilling career.

My classmates came from a variety of backgrounds, levels of education, and professional experience; Tech Elevator is designed to meet anyone with the aptitude and desire to become a programmer where they are and help them succeed.  The instructors break down technical concepts into essential components that can be easily digested by all.  Daily quizzes, daily coding exercises, and frequent one-on-one check-ins help the instructors quickly identify if the class as a whole or an individual student is understanding the material.  If you need additional help, a roaming instructor is available for study sessions.  The curriculum builds upon itself, so each project gives you a chance to practice and solidify previous topics.  The instructors, all of whom are accomplished software developers, are respectful, passionate about mentoring, enthusiastic about their craft, and available to answer questions at nearly all hours of the day or night.

The other half of Tech Elevator is the Pathway Program, which consists of soft skills development and career coaching; I think this program really sets Tech Elevator apart from other bootcamps.  The Pathway Program helps you craft the narrative about why you want to get into software development and what transferrable skills your past experiences give you; with this narrative in hand, the Pathway Program takes you through a series of workshops that help you write your resume, build your digital presence (e.g. LinkedIn), practice interviewing (both technical and non-technical interviews), and make meaningful connections with industry insiders.  Several workshops focused on the soft skills that are valued in the tech industry; while technical skills are important, good communication and team dynamics are just as valuable.  The Matchmaking event, when dozens of employers come in to interview students, is a highlight of the program; I had several follow-up interviews that resulted from this event and ultimately accepted a job offer from a company I “met” through Matchmaking.

The bootcamp is challenging but rewarding - you will get out what you put in.  I learned a new technical skill set, improved my soft skills, expanded my professional network, and even made some good friends along the way.  I started at my new company a week after finishing at Tech Elevator and am now several weeks into my new career; I can attest that Tech Elevator prepared me well and I hit the ground running.  I encourage you to explore Tech Elevator as your next step!

• Rich • Student

Prior to attending Tech Elevator, I had a largely unfulfilling job in sales, while working extra hours in restaurants on the weekends. I had an undergraduate degree from a local university, but didn't seem to be on a career path that I could be excited about.
    I, like a lot of people probably reading this, kept coming across articles about programming and what a valuable skill-set it was. So, in my spare time after work, I started learning about the field of software development and programming.
    After researching and learning some basic concepts over time, I began considering the field as a potential career match. And while I was excited at the prospect of one day getting a job in tech, I still thought it was a little far-fetched, and at the very least, far off.
    Yet, through the serendipitous ways of the internet, I came across an advertisement for Tech Elevator, and my interest (much like yours I surmise) was piqued. After interviewing on-site for over two hours, and with a healthy dose of cautious skepticism, I was pretty much sold.

I received a call within two days notifying me of my acceptance, and after about a week's consideration, I was ready to take the plunge.

I'd also like to note that the interview was, as intended, persuasive, but at no point was it sugar-coated to seem as though the process wouldn't be immensely challenging. And it certainly lived up to that.

Coming from a non-technical background, you will have to work harder in your spare time to keep up with the core concepts that other students may have already been exposed to. But you won't be alone. And, most importantly, you won't be without resources. From Craig, the 30+ year programming vet who's always willing to help outside of class and sprinkle in stories of the good 'ol days (or dark ages) of programming, to Josh and David, both of whom possess keen understandings of their subject matter, and how to explain high-level concepts to non-CS-degree'd folk; you won't be learning alone.

You'll learn more acronyms than I knew could be composed from the English alphabet, and you will go through periods of self-doubt, but once you find that you have the ability to meet challengesand adapt to solving the problems you face, you will quickly understand why so many people enjoy this career.

I've now landed a job at a major local software company and can't wait to see what the future holds. So, if you are genuinely infatuated with computer programming and IT, and you believe you would enjoy a demanding, fulfilling career in the field, there is no better option than Tech Elevator. It truly can change your life for the better.

• Tim • Software Developer • Student

Going to Tech Elevator was one of the best experiences I have ever had, and was a very wise choice. I was in the food service industry and really wanted to do something greater for work, I heard about Tech Elevator on the radio and after visiting I was sold. I started my bootcamp May 16th and recently graduated in mid-August.

I was in the .NET cohort and was taught by their lead .NET instructor, Josh Tucholski. Josh is extremely patient and is very knowledgeable about software development. The pace of the class was just right and it is very satisfying to leave everyday with more knowledge. Craig, who is on site just to help students, has over 30 years of professional development experience and is always very willing to help anyone who wants to understand the content better, or just wants to practice solving problems on the whiteboard.

I felt more than prepared to do technical interviews, and was able to answer any question that was thrown at me for junior development roles. The Pathway Program is great and they are always bringing employers into the space, which allows you to network and get first-hand accounts from people in the field.

Tech Elevator would be a great choice for anyone, you will learn a large amount about software development that will leave you extremely prepared for the career that Tech Elevator will allow you to get after your 14 week program is over. You will make a lot of friends, have a lot of laughs, and ultimately be putting your life in a much happier place. The team, atmosphere, pace, and career prep at Tech Elevator is very unique and would be extremely hard to find anywhere else.

• Sean • EBI Database Developer II • Graduate

You’ve probably read countless reviews and stories involving people who have changed their careers and lives as a result of a coding boot camp. That wasn’t my case. My review is aimed primarily at those who may have a little background in IT but, for whatever reason, aren’t satisfied with where they are professionally. I worked for a Fortune 500 company for years on the database side and got “pigeonholed” into maintaining dead end proprietary applications.

A personal injury sidelined me and I looked into Tech Elevator’s Java program while recovering. I had already had some of the standard self-exposure to the language ( books, online tutorials, community college courses etc.) but what appealed to me when I visited at an open house was the opportunity to learn relevant, real world practices in coding. If you think that things will be limited to “Hello World” and a calculator app, then you might want to sit down.

I had already done some coding so I thought that most of it would be a piece of cake. WRONG! Throw out any preconceived notions that this will be “just another class”. You quickly learn advanced principles, proper techniques, how to apply them and most importantly, why. No need to fret, though, because the instruction is top notch and there is always support available when you struggle.

As for things not related to coding, the facilities were great and we had everything that we needed as far as laptops, software, books and other resources. I’d also like to stress that they went to great lengths to prepare you. This included having many professionals in the community come in and share experiences, answer questions and give advice. Invaluable.

Lastly, the payoff. At the end of the boot camp, I received multiple offers and actually chose to stop interviewing. I opted to work for an industry leader in healthcare involving data analytics for an increase in salary of more than $20K with potential through the roof.

I apologize for the length of this (there’s still so much more I’d like to share) but if you’ve read this far, you owe it to yourself to at least attend an open house and get a feel firsthand. Best of luck to you.

• Kaity • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from the .NET program in April 2016. I was previously working in advertising technology but knew that I'd need further education in order to pursue the more technical roles I was interested in. I attended an open house at Tech Elevator and was immediately sold.

The staff at Tech Elevator is incredible. Every member of the team is knowledgeable, supportive, and committed to your success. The .NET instructor, Josh, has a teaching style that makes difficult concepts easy to understand while keeping class engaging and exciting. In addition to learning more than I ever have in a 3-month time span, I truly enjoyed coming to class every day, even when the material was frustrating.

The Pathway Program provides career assistance through resume and interview workshops, employer networking events, and both technical and behavioral interview practice. I owe the two job offers I got before graduation to the Pathway Program and the team's willingness to go above and beyond to make sure I felt prepared for interviews.

I couldn't be happier with my time at Tech Elevator and would absolutely recommend the school. If you're curious, start with an open house.

• Brad • Production Implementation Consultant • Graduate

It took me 2 years from hearing about coding bootcamps before I finally took the plunge into one. Despite having a college education, I had been stuck doing menial labor jobs, landscaping, cooking, and baking. This life grows old, and we all want to see our hard work blossom into rewards, so I decided to make a huge change into the IT field. I chose Tech Elevator over other bootcamps for a few reasons: 1) Length: Coming from a non-technical background, the extra couple weeks of learning was an invaluable both informational as well as allowing the knowledge to work its way into long term memory a little better. 2) Youth: This is a young program. I don't mean age, as my classes median age was in the mid 30's, rather that Tech Elevator is at least as passionate about giving us the tools to succeed as we are passionate about making our own lives better. 3) Staff: From Carol at the front desk to the instructors to the founders, everyone plays for the same team, and it's a winning one. Who doesn't want to be on that? These praises don't come at a price, the work is hard and at times frustrating. I am a grown man who now knows what it is like to want a hug because a computer bullied me today. You may question at time if you are following the right path, but if you stick it out and listen to what the instructors, mentors, recruiters, and even employers that are brought in, YOU WILL SUCCEED! Having no technical background and mere months of coding experience, I was inundated with recruiters and direct employers calling me. I had an offer from a great tech company on the West side that came from the employer showcase that Terry and Anthony work very hard on setting up. Within a week of graduation I was working full-time, with benefits, and can honestly say I have doubled my income from the previous year. As long as you know that you are worth investing in yourself, sign up ASAP and get your life moving in the right direction. If you read this far and have any questions, please pm me saying that we have worked together at Tech Elevator, and I will be more than happy to tell you more about my personal experience.

• Kenny • Technical Consultant • Graduate

This bootcamp is the REAL deal. I came into this with a diverse background from the military, operations management, and sales. Totally off the wall careers, but I realized technology was the driving interest in each. I had researched the bootcamp model for a few years and even tried to teach myself but the book was out of date. So via networking while trying to transition into software sales, I was introduced to Tech Elevator. I had no idea I was about to change my life in just 14-weeks, but it happened!

I attended an orientation and heard from the instructors about curriculum, and the CEO about how this place could change my life, but I think what blew me away was how up front they were about the amount of work that would be required of me and the energy that would need to be invested in order to achieve graduation. I took it as a challenge and went home thinking there was no better place to learn than a place where I am challenged. I had in front of me the very opportunity I had always wanted, and all I needed to do was pass a pre-assessment, and an interview. Sounds easy enough, but it wasn't. I didn’t sleep for almost three days until I finally found out I was accepted, and then I thought to myself "and so it begins!".

From day one there was never a shortage on communication of what to expect and the plethora of resources available to me in order to be successful, but after brushing them off thinking I had this in the bag I quickly learned my second week I needed way more help than those who came from technical backgrounds. I think the feeling of knowing I just paid a bunch of money for something, and the fear of failure kicked in and I quickly started reaching out to fellow students to have study sessions. From week 2 through week 8 a group of us would show up to the 24-hour space and just bounce our problems off each other. It wasn't until I started talking to the instructors about it that I felt like a crazy man for coming in at 6am when class didn’t start until 9am. Looking back now aside from the top-notch instructors, I would say going through this with 14 other people who were going through the same issues made this a lot easier for myself. This allowed me to maximize my time and learning through out the 14-weeks.

The instruction I received was hands on applicable knowledge designed to teach you how to learn versus being hand fed the information. David Wintrich was my Java instructor, and learning from someone so highly regarded in the community as well as the vast amounts of practical knowledge he possessed was a blessing. This allowed me to repeatedly bounce ideas or concepts off the man who had built a BILLION dollar processing application. Impressed? Well I am. Having David alongside Josh, and Craig allowed me to get a feel for how to approach problems that I would see in real world situations, and how to plug away at a problem researching and tinkering until I felt that feeling of victory once it worked. I think having access to the folks who have "been there and done that" allowed me to feel confident walking away and making an immediate impact day 1 at my new job.

The bootcamp opened a lot of doors for me because I lacked a college degree, and it also gave me credibility learning from some of the best folks in the area. I do not think I would have the opportunity / career trajectory had I not taken this step versus going back to college. The technical aspect along with the touch up on my resume / LinkedIn presence from the pathway events set me up for success. Hearing industry leaders read my information and offer insight was invaluable. As a result to taking a risky leap of faith and praying for sunshine, I have stepped into a Technical Consultant role with one of the Software Industries top companies. Without Tech Elevator I would probably still be at that same job I once hated, just because I lacked the motivation to give four years away to a college. Forever in debt to the folks at Tech elevator.

Hope this Helps !

• Sam • Software Developer • Graduate

I always had an interest in software development, and before joining Tech Elevator I was interested in transitioning into a new career field. It was by chance that I stumbled upon an article on FreshWaterCleveland.com about Tech Elevator, and they happened to have an open house that evening that I attended.

From that first introduction all the way through graduation, I was extremely pleased with the experience. It is very apparent that every staff member is dedicated to making this the best possible experience for those who are looking to join the software field.

I chose to take the Java development track, and had David Wintrich as my instructor. Out of all the teachers that I have interacted with over the years, David is definitely one of my favorites. He is very easy going, really knows his stuff, and is committed to making sure his students are succeeding and getting the most out of their education. I really appreciated that he made himself available whenever I needed, even after hours. I feel the cirriculum left me well prepared to take on a new role as a software developer.

Outside of classroom instruction, Tech Elevator also helps its students sharpen their soft skills that help them succeed in finding a job and navigating their professional lives. They brought in relevant industry experts to help with things such as resume writing, networking, and interview practice. Tech Elevator has an extensive network of employers looking for tech talent, and held a job fair for students to interview with a wide variety of employers. I was offered a position from a company that attended. They will also help you pursue opportunities with companies that they don't have an existing relationship with if you have a particular company you are interested in.

Overall, I can safely say that attending Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I have made in my professional life. I encourage anyone interested in a career in software development to apply.

• Fantastic
    - 5/18/2016
    Brendan • Graduate

I have nothing but good things to say about my time at Tech Elevator. The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and are always willing to help students, either during or outside of classroom hours. The classroom and common room spaces are great. While challenging, the fourteen weeks flew by, and the instructors made sure they made class interesting and fun.

The career assistance was out of this world. Tech Elevator brings in a ton of great companies to talk to students. They also set up interviews with companies for students. You even get mock interviews and technical interviews beforehand to practice. I got a job with a company that I'm really excited about because Tech Elevator brought them in.

Before the class, I was skeptical about the bootcamp model. But Tech Elevator was unequivocally worth the time and financial investment. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was the best decision I've made for my career.

• Anonymous • Software

My experience with Tech Elevator was overwhelmingly positive.  At any bootcamp there are 2 major aspects.  The first is the instruction in terms of learning integral skills.  The second is the professional opportunities that the bootcamp opens.  Tech Elevator, in Cleveland Ohio, fulfills both of these criteria at a very high level, especially the second one.

I will not speak to the coursework or instructor very much excep to say that my Java teacher had an excellent command of the material and was always available to help students.  On the other end, he was willing to provide more advanced assignments if a student needed challenged more.  However, in contrast to college, and traditional learning institutions, since there is no grading, it was up to the student to complete the work and challenge himself/herself.  This is the nature of the bootcamp model thugh.  You must have the interest and passion.  Tech Elevator, nor any other bootcamp, will instill this into a student.

But where Tech Elevator shines is in its ability to provide professional opportunties.  From day one they work with students in preparing forthe  job hunt.  A myriad of professionals are broulgh in to help with resumes, interviews and internet presence such as linkedin.  Further, they help the student to craft a narrative which connects thei previous career with their prospective software developer desires.

After the students resume, LinkedIn, and interview skills are evaluated by a multitude of recruiters and coaches, Tech Elevator is somehow able to bring many employers on site to actually interview students.  This is how I personally landed a job.  Tech Elevator brought over 20 employers who all were seeking entry level software developers to the spacd for a matchmaking event where they interviewed each studen for approxmately 30 minutes.  Beyond that amazing event, Tech Elevator's tirelessly working "career coach" and other staff with connections convinced prospective employers to either come to the learning space or make on site arrangements for interviews.

Like most things in life, you must put a lot of effort into Tech Elevator to get the desired outcome.  But they provide an excellent framework and concentrated direction for your efforts.  I am confident that if you are seeking a career in software development, then Tech Elevator will serve your purposes if you are willing to put forth the proper effort.

• Jonathan • Java Developer • Graduate

I recently completed the Java Applications Development bootcamp from January 2016 - April 2016. Prior to the bootcamp, I had some exposure to the IT industry doing QA, support and project management. I had a vague idea of what to expect, but no experience writing code. During my job search in the fall of 2015, I heard an add for Tech Elevator on NPR. I was intrigued, and decided to attend an open house in the begining of December. After observing the passion and knowledge of the instructors: Josh and David, it became clear to me that this was the next step in my career.

The class moves quickly, but I never felt lost or left behind. The combination of lecture and hands on projects/exercises really works well at enforcing the material. Subject matter is filtered to what would wil be relevant in the workforce, and covers the full stack. In addition, we were given exposure to popular tools that are used in the industry. The class is broken down into modules, and each module is capped off with a capstone project, typcially completed in pairs.

The Java instructor, David Wintrich, is patient, and easy to get along with. He presents the material in an engaging way, and readily made himself available for one-on-one assistance, if necessary. He was very encouraging, which was needed, as learning to code from the ground up was frustrating at times. He also drew on his work experience as a developer, giving us tips and insights that were helpful not only in applying the material, but later on during the job search/technical interviews.

The Pathway Program starts on day one, and runs parallel to the coursework. It included mock HR/technical interviews with real-world professionals, resume/LinkedIn assistance, employer matchmaking and networking advice. Once I stareted attending interviews, I felt prepared and confident.

I wasn't initially sold on the job search portion of the bootcamp, as the idea of landing a job as a developer after 14-weeks seemed both daunting and unrealistic, but boy did Tech Elevator deliver. I received multiple job offers from companies I met within the Tech Elevator hiring network within two weeks of graduation. I agree with some of the other reviewers in that you get the sense that the staff truly care about your sucess. Also the ping pong table is pretty rad. I would absolutely recommend this bootcamp to anyone interested in a career change.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.