tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (221) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (39) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationDetroit, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    September 14, 2020 - Philadelphia
    September 14, 2020 - Cincinnati
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date July 13, 2020
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    July 13, 2020 - Online
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Columbus
    September 14, 2020 - Cincinnati
    September 14, 2020 - Cleveland
    September 14, 2020 - Pittsburgh
  • Do the work!
    - 4/23/2019
    Ty Owen  User Photo
    Ty Owen • Jr. Applications Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before I started at Tech Elevator I spent 9 years working in the Museum field. I had the opportunity to work on incredible projects but as my development cycles got farther and farther apart I found myself longing for something more challenging. The days I could solve problems with technology were the best days of my work life, and I wanted to spend everyday solving those kinds of problems.

After meeting an instructor, and introducing a friend to Tech Elevator and watching his successes I decided it was time for me to make the jump. They tell you up front that this will be one of the most challenging things you’ll ever do, they tell you that there will be times you don’t think you’ll be able to complete the work, they tell you that if you put in the work and trust the process that you’ll succeed. All of this is true.

As a former educator I’m very judgemental when it comes to other educators. I was blown away by the knowledge, expertise, and skill of the instructors and educational staff. Brian is one of the best and most patient instructors I’ve ever met, and Andrew has an incredible way of leading you to the answer and understanding.

Not only was the instructional portion of the course great, but the pathway events that focused on the soft skills really prepared you for the job search. Ben and Laura really made sure through these events, one on one practical and technical interviews, and the hands on workshops that I was prepared once I got on site with a potential employer. While I was still anxious in the interview process, I had had the worst case scenario technical interviews with the instructors so I was prepared when I encountered these on the job hunt.

I had multiple interviews due to matchmaking with employers at Tech Elevator and successfully landed a job the day after graduation. If you’re reading this and want to make the jump and are willing to do the work and go all in, I can’t recommend Tech Elevator enough. It’s easily one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

• David Vanderburgh  User Photo
    David Vanderburgh • Jr. Develper • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Before Tech Elevator, I was an R&D engineer at a top automobile company.  Benefits and pay were outstanding, but I was slowly dying of boredom.  I had some experiences in the past of writing code and those were the days that flew by for me.

I knew I wanted to get into software development, but going back to major in computer science felt like overkill and would not necessarily secure me a job in the field.

After some light research, I was happy to find that Tech Elevator existed, and was in Columbus OH (a 20 minute drive for me).  Once I understood the Pathways program and did the on-site open house, I knew it was the right choice.  After applying and getting accepted, I was counting down the days for the cohort to start.

The first module (1 of 4) was largely review for me.  Instead of just blazing through exercises, I was encouraged to help other students as we learned the ins and outs of object oriented programming.  This actually proved to be very educational for me - you really only fully understand something when you can explain it to someone else.

When we hit module 2, I started to feel the stress of learning new material! At this point, I started getting help from other students and going to professors after hours.

By the time we got through the rest of the modules, I felt extremely confident in my abilities to program.  I remember doing an exercise in CSS at home and my wife walked by and saw my screen and asked "Oooh, what are you ordering for Audrey?" (my daughter). I had created a styled web-site that represented a kid's toy store and it was good enough to fool her.

The culmination of the entire experience was interviewing with companies for a junior software developer role.  I think a lot of people expect the hardest part of the cohort to be learning to code, but really for me it was the job search.  I over-prepared my interviewing skills with extra mock interviews and lots of guided practice.

The biggest advice I can give to you: it's all about confidence.  If you study hard, take all the events seriously, overprepare, educate fellow students, ask tons of questions to your professor, understand every piece of your pair projects, then your confidence will be through the roof and you will be overprepared for a junior developer role.  Going into an interview with 8 people at a desk watching me whiteboard the architecture of an MVC project? No sweat! I had overflowing levels of confidence and still do, can't you tell?  I knew going out of that interview I would have an offer.  I got it the next day and it was my number one choice!

In summary, I am thankful to Tech Elevator for bridging my gap to be a software developer. Extra kudos to John Fulton - the best professor I have ever had.

• Luke Conte  User Photo
    Luke Conte • Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm writing this review roughly three months after graduating from Tech Elevator's .NET bootcamp.  I've been in my current position as a Consultant/Software Developer for two months, and now that the "honeymoon" period of a new position is over, I still wouldn't change a thing about the decisions I've made in regard to Tech Elevator.

Like any development bootcamp, the pacing is quick and the material is thrown at your rapidly, but the instructors are extremely helpful.  They're knowledgeable about the material, industry trends, and the different roles of developers.  They spent a lot of time working with our cohort to make sure no one fell far behind, and focused more on understanding rather than "getting it done."  Discussions were very open and the learning path encouraged working with others, which was incredibly helpful in grasping new material every day.

On the flip side of the technical work, Tech Elevator did a great job at training and preparing us for the "business" side of careers.  The career team at the Pittsburgh campus was extremely helpful in establishing connections with local companies, as well as strengthening our soft skills and interview preparation.  The majority of my interviews, including the interview with my current employer, were established via the "Pathway" (career prep) team.

Prior to Tech Elevator, I had very, very limited exposure to coding and development, but everyone at the Pittsburgh campus was incredibly supportive and helpful throughout the entire process.  Three months out, I still consider my cohort and the staff to be great resources and friends.  The Pittsburgh campus at Tech Elevator was top tier, and I regret nothing about my time spent there.

• Let's be real..
    - 2/22/2019
    Derek Ball  User Photo
    Derek Ball • Web Content Migration Specialist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Let's be real... This is the best thing you could do to make a positive change in your life. In terms of risk/reward value to stopping what you're doing and investing in a new career, there IS NO BETTER WAY. We're talking time invested, money invested, quick return and placement, and being a new you within 4-6 months.

But let's be real... It's HARD work. You are, in every sense of the word, in a BOOTCAMP. Expect 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week on average, of non-stop coding. On top of that, consistently learning new material, networking with different MeetUp groups, planning and implementing side projects. There's also participating and planning in Pathway Program which consists of interview training in both HR and technical environments, developing new resumes and a professional online presence, developing proper habits in job searching, and that's not even taking into consideration if you have a family, relationship, pet, or other social obligations.

But let's be real... EVERYTHING you are MUST be dedicated to this experience. I didn't even get to celebrate my birthday, it is THAT INTENSE. I will not sugar coat it, it is HARD, but you can do it. Believe in yourself because you believe in a better future. The instructors and recruiters on staff are knowlegable, helpful and experienced and will help you when and where you need, but the connections you build with your fellow students is your greatest resource, do not forget that.

So Imma be real... If you want a better future, better career, and better life and you think you got what it takes to handle what I'm throwing at you, then pick it up, prepare yourself and push forward, you will not regret it.

• Adam Seal  User Photo
    Adam Seal • Associate Software Engineer in Application Development • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator changed my life and I would recommend it to anyone who's considering it! Coming from Residential HVAC, I knew very little about computers and almost nothing about programming. After being accepted into the program, it was clear that this was the place I was supposed to be. I learned so much from the amazing staff and made friendships I look forward to carrying on for a long time to come. The course work is strenuous but it's delivered in a way that makes it easy to digest and there are always resources ready to help you understand something a little better. I was able to change careers smoothly in 4 months and have an amazing job I couldn't have even dreamed of before, all thanks to Tech Elevator. If you are looking for a change and are considering the technology world, Tech Elevator will get you there

• Great Investment!
    - 2/20/2019
    Katie Renner  User Photo
    Katie Renner • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator Columbus is an amazing experience! Prior to starting there, I had zero experience in tech (I was a full-time mom and a part-time biology teacher). Now I'm employed in a dream job, using and developing my new skills every day. Tech Elevator got me up to speed quickly and gave me the foundation to keep learning in the ever-evolving tech world. My teachers gave me an amazing breadth of understanding -- programming fundamentals, the full stack, tools to work in it it, how elements of it fit together, trends to watch for, and so much more. At the same time, they were definitely able to stimulate and develop my many peers who had much more extensive tech backgrounds. And what a great group of peers!! They are witty, supportive, diverse friends I will keep. It's also nice to have a ready-made professional network.  In short, Tech Elevator is a great investment. You will learn so much, make great connections, and see the pay-off immediately.

• Believe the Hype
    - 1/22/2019
    Seth Willits  User Photo
    Seth Willits • Software Developer I • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Attending Tech Elevator's Cleveland Campus was one of the most rewarding professional decisions I have made. My decision to change careers came later than most students who attend Tech Elevator. I was twelve years into a career making decent money, but I was unhappy and didn't see a positive road ahead. Once I made the choice to change careers I began researching coding bootcamps in the area. I gathered information and attended multiple open houses at different schools. From the very beginning, Tech Elevator stood out as a very well run program with a great deal of success accomplishing its goal of training students and helping them find a job.
    Being older, and later in my professional life than most students, I had a healthy dose of Imposter Syndrome as my cohort started in September. In addition, coming from an industry that focuses on trusting people's actions over their words I was skeptical of whether the things the staff was telling me were actually as good as they said they were. From the very first day, the staff and instructors blew me away with how much they believed in what they do. And it was infectious. They made it impossible not to believe in them. From my .Net instructor, Josh, answering every one of my countless questions with an unmistakable passion for his industry, to the Pathways Director, Kelly, demonstrating her unbelievable talent to polish a student's professional profile and prepare them to shine in an interview the entire program set me up for success. Add in the always available one-on-one tutoring sessions with Craig, the amazing Java instructor, Frank, doing one-on-one whiteboarding practice, and the curriculum developers/instructors Joe and Dan always answering questions and you can't help but come out of this program as a strong junior developer ready for a long career in tech. Every staff member contributed in some way to making my experience at Tech Elevator amazing.
    The Tech Elevator program is intense, and learning to code is not all rainbows and unicorns, but if you've made the decision to change your life and your career, you cannot go wrong with Tech Elevator. I loved every minute I was in class (yes, even the none rainbows and unicorns minutes). I still love the friendships I created and I love the fact that in less than a month from graduation I have a new job as a software developer working with a handful of the very same friends I shared my Tech Elevator experience with. I changed my whole life for the better with Tech Elevator.

• Sawyer Redpath  User Photo
    Sawyer Redpath • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I really enjoyed my time at Tech Elevator and learned so much. When I started at Tech Elevator I was in a somewhat unique position, I had done some programming classes in college and knew that I wanted a career as a software developer and that I was capable. For a lot of the students at Tech Elevator it was much more of a "leap of faith" as they had come from all walks of life and decided to try to learn programming for the first time ever. What amazed me was Tech Elevator made capable and successful programmers out of everyone. The students that I had seen struggle tremendously in the beggining left Tech Elevator with so many new skills and many have already gotten themself jobs as junior developers (with the help of Kelly, Marty and the amazing people behind the Pathway Program). Keep in mind this is still less than one month after graduation, but it seems a lot of my fellow students have found jobs already.

I think that if I could give some advice to someone wondering if they should do the bootcamp I would reccomend trying out freecodecamps HTML, CSS, or JavaScript course, or any other online programming course of your choice. It will become clear very quickly if you like it or hate it, and if you like it then I cannot reccomend Tech Elevator enough.

As someone who had done some post-secondary programming classes I was VERY IMPRESSED with how relevant the technologies and skills were that we were taught. The skills that you learn at Tech Elevator are EXACTLY the ones that companies are wanting Junior Developers to have. There is individual tutoring available (included in the price of your tuition) that is very nice to have for those who struggle on a certain subject.

I was in the .NET cohort in Cleveland and my instructor Josh was the best instructor I have had in my academic career, hands down. There were many times he explained a subject that I had another instructor try to teach me before (that hadn't quite clicked) and I had that "it finally makes sense now" moment. He would ELI5 (explain something to us like were 5 years old) and then explain it at a higher level, and then connect the dots inbetween to the point where I felt confident in my understanding after each day. Josh was a great instructor but was also a fantastic mentor to all of his students. He met individually with us all constantly to talk about our side projects, how we were feeling about the cohort, our job search, and much more. He was always there to provide valuable guidance and was truly a great mentor to me.

I guess I should mention that if you plan on getting good value out of the program it is going to take hard work, and if you are planning on "half-assing" it then this program is not for you. It's hard work but if you are determined then I promise Tech Elevator will make a great programmer out of you.

Something I didn't expect is I made so many great friends and valuable connections during my time at Tech Elevator. You are really treated like a sort of family there. I was lucky and really liked everyone in my class so I made great friendships there, but also the staff are so friendly and genuinely there to support you always in your continued success as a programmer. I really feel comfortable reaching out to my previous instructors and really any staff at Tech Elevator if I need help with anything job related or programming related in the future.

TLDR: If you like programming or are interested in programming then JUST DO IT! It was an amazing experience that I got so much value out of. I can't say enough good things about all the staff and my experience at Tech Elevator.

• Great investment
    - 1/7/2019
    Austin Hollopeter  User Photo
    Austin Hollopeter • IT Apps Programmer Assoc • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    Why Tech Elevator? Last year, I decided to sign up for Tech Elevator's Spring Java Cohort. It has been the best career decision I have ever made. Here's a breakdown on why: Cost: Tech Elevator has a great ROI Immediately, upon graduating Tech Elevator, my salary improved by $20,000, and over the next 3 years, I'm looking to jump another $20,000. Considering the cost of Tech Elevator, I will easily make my money back in a year. The Future of Programming: Start learning NOW The tech field is on the verge of making major advancements that will disrupt every industry across the globe. Over the next 5-10 years, self-driving cars, quantum computers, virtual reality, and a host of other advancements will permanently change our transportation, production, economic, and entertainment landscapes. The question is no longer "will it arrive". The question is "will I be ready when it arrives". Start learning the basics now, so you will be ready when the advanced stuff shows up. Java vs. C#: Little difference, both excellent One of the best ways to start getting ready is by learning Java or C#. It doesn't really matter which one you learn. They are very very similar with slight differences in syntax, libraries, and supported IDE's. I took the Java course, but got hired at a C# company, and at this point I barely notice the differences. Overall, C# might be easier and Cleveland companies are looking for C#, however, C# was basically copied from Java and companies will definitely hire Java grads. The important part is that these languages are the backbone of full-stack development, especially in the corporate world, and provide you a strong understanding of how programming works. IMO they are probably the best entry level languages b/c their structure helps you avoid learning bad habits that you might otherwise pickup in languages like javascript or python. Tech Elevator Experience: Very professional, excellent preparation I had a fantastic experience at Tech Elevator. The instructors were fun, but very professional and dedicated to us as the students. The focus is always on preparing us for the workforce, and teaching us high-value content. The pacing is fast, but incremental so that each section builds on what you just learned. I have used a large amount of what I learned in my new job. On a higher level of abstraction they provide you with an understanding of the fundamental principles of programming, so that you are ready to learn and grow with the field. The instructors use concrete examples to help you start thinking the way a programmer thinks. Through Tech Elevator's training, I have felt confident to discuss coding with my coworkers, business contacts, and team architects. Benefits of Bootcamp vs. Pure Self-Teaching: Networking, Quality, and Trust The tech field can be confusing to get into, and getting the first job is the hardest part. That is why Tech Elevator is so valuable. Tech Elevator is trusted by companies to provide solid, knowledgeable candidates who bring a variety of skills from diverse backgrounds. That trust plays a huge part in getting a job in the first 6 months. Once you have your first job, the next 3 years will see your salary value jump significantly. You are also joining a class of future developers who you can jumpstart your professional network with as well. My class was full of great people I still connect with, including a few who got hired at the same place with me. It's also important to get the right training. By receiving training from professional instructors, I was able to get immediate feedback and avoid a lot of pitfalls in my development and understanding of programming. This saved a lot of wasted time. It also provided accountability to keep me focused on advancing my knowledge. The environment is full of passionate people who understand the challenges you face and who share the desire to discover and learn. I can't state enough how important that encouragement and energy is to creating a new career. Should You Join? Tech Elevator is fast-paced and there is a lot of energy required to succeed. If you don't have an inner drive and motivation, then this is probably not for you. It can be scary and financially risky to change careers, especially if you have a family. In the short-term this could be prohibitive. However, if you know that you want to get into the tech field, there is seriously no better way to start off then joining Tech Elevator. Great training, solid ROI, passionate staff and instructors, and fantastic industry to join, make Tech Elevator an excellent choice.
  • Best Decision
    - 1/7/2019
    Kelly  User Photo
    Kelly • Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It's hard to put into words how much I appreciate what Tech Elevator has done for my career. This program completely changed life. I was working in a low paying, dead end job in Human Resources when I decided to put my life on hold for 14 weeks and make a complete career change by attending the bootcamp in Pittsburgh. I'm so glad that I did. Even before the bootcamp started, the Director and Administrator were so helpful in getting me set up with the tools I'd need to be successful in the program. The instructors were so informative and you can tell they really want you to succeed. This program is fast-paced and extremely intense. You have to want to be there and keep the end goal in mind as you work through each long day. Putting in the hours that it takes to learn the material each day is key because the next day will add on to what you just learned. The instructors make sure that you know they are there to help you each step of the way and will sit with you until you are confident in moving forward.

Outside of the coursework, you will attend events for your Pathway Program that are just as important as the course material itself. This was a huge factor in my decision to attend Tech Elevator over other bootcamps because they show you just how much they want you to succeed in your new career by literally setting up interviews to get you a job. Companies will come in and give presentations about their daily work and what types of positions they have available. This allowed me to decide what industry I wanted to go into (I had no clue when I first started the bootcamp) and my Pathway Director really took the time to get to know exactly what I was looking for. I ended up with a job BEFORE graduating from Tech Elevator and I really don't think that would not have been possible without the pathway program.

If you're thinking about attending Tech Elevator and you have the drive to make a real change in your life, don't hesitate, do it. This program is incredible and the people you will meet along the way are even better.

• Worth Everything
    - 11/12/2018
    Bradon Studebaker  User Photo
    Bradon Studebaker • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A decision as momentous as dropping your life for a few months and starting over is not one anyone should take lightly. With that being said, there is no place other than Tech Elevator that I would have ever even considered doing this. I write this review about four months out of the program and well into a wonderful job as a full stack developer.

I was quite nervous when I came in to meet with Katie and Ben. At this point, the reputation of this institution precedes it. Any small amount of research will quickly reveal the accolades this place merits. My apprehension was instantly erased upon coming face to face with the people who were going to help me guide my future the way I wanted it to go.

This program is no small challenge. People from all walks of life and the broadest of skill ranges came into this program and left with what they needed to be what they wanted.

The work is rigorous. You will need to turn off the noise on other portions of your life as best as you can. You will struggle. You will persevere. One thing you never will do is free-fall. A feeling most of us probably feel leading up to applying to this program. The support network and interpersonal relations make TE what it is. Work your ass off and you WILL attain your goals.

Nothing but love. Thank you to the Pathway staff, the technical instructors, and my fellow students. From top to bottom, this will change your life if you let it.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here