tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (239) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (40) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date July 13, 2020
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
    July 13, 2020 - Online
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationDetroit, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Philadelphia
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Columbus
    September 14, 2020 - Cincinnati
    September 14, 2020 - Cleveland
    September 14, 2020 - Pittsburgh
  • Worth it!
    - 12/25/2019
    Julia  User Photo
    Julia • Quality Assurance Analyst • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator was the best risk I took. I was very skeptical at first. There have been so many for profit school scams that have left people broke. When I learned about Tech Elevator I did a lot of research. I was trying to find the disgruntled mutterings of a scam. I could not find it. The fact that Tech Elevator voluntarily reports to a third party watchdog agency that monitors for profit schools was instrumental in making me realize it's legit.

Unlike other boot camps that train you up in the latest fad Tech Elevator gives you a core education in languages that have been part of the tech industry for decades. They give you a taste of all the components of a web based program. Learning Front end, back end, databases, and javascript gives you the ability to be a confident coder with a wide variety of job prospects.

There are no catches with this education. You don't owe them a percentage of your salary, no one is forcing me to write this as a condition of graduation. I won't lie it's hard work. You get what you put in. If you follow the process do the work, not just the coding but the career prep too, you'll have a job by graduation.

The student to teacher ratio was about 13 to one. There were instructors available after class for one on one tutoring. The instructors are not graduates of the boot camp, they have had long successful careers in coding before choosing to pay it forward and train the next generation. The investment and compassion of the teachers and career counselors was apparent. They care deeply that their students succeed. Nothing I've had experience with in colleges and universities comes close to the kind of career counselling you get here.

As someone with a master's degree in music I didn't think going back to school to re-skill myself was possible. The length of the boot camp and the success of student job placement made it seem possible that I could improve my life. I've never been in the position to consider several job offers and pick a career I want. I'm excited to start my new job just weeks after graduation.

• William Schneider  User Photo
    William Schneider • IT App Developer • Verified via LinkedIn

Self context: Military Veteran, University Graduate, live 45 min from campus and have a 9 year old and 4 month baby at home (started bootcamp when she was 1month).

Plan on really dedicating yourself to this program if you want to succeed. Required hours are 9am to 4pm but It was not uncommon for me to be there from 8:30 to 6pm.

Do not miss class. I was there everyday and still felt like I was 2 days behind because the pace of the course is very fast. Make sure you understand every concept before moving on to the next. Everything is compounding and you cant afford to move forward without laying the propper foundation.

Both instructors have 20+ years of experience ranging from IBM to Microsoft.

The Pathway program is not a job placer. They are a tool that is meant to train you to be the best version of yourself. Interview prep, Resume building, Self Advertising. You have to do 80% of the work including job searching. If you do they will open up oppertunities you couldnt even imagine. Before tech elevator I went 9 months without a job even though I have a tremendous amount of professional experience. Tech elevator put me infront of the right people and  iam now a fulltime app developer for the biggest IT department in Ohio.

Trust the process, never give up and never be afraid to ask questions.

If your struggling to choose which language. .NET is a wonderful option, alot of the clevaland job space involves this language. Mike Morell is a wonderful instructor and I wouldnt have changed my choice.

This course is not for everyone. I will say that the people and relationships will last a life time. They truly want to elevate you.

• Derrick Henderson  User Photo
    Derrick Henderson • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Short and simple, Tech Elevator starts slow, but then sprints through so much technical information, it can seem overwhelming.

That said, they cover a wide enough base to give you a strong start on your path to becoming a successful programmer.

What really sets TE apart is the Pathway Program where the Instructors do their best to prepare you for the real world job market and give you the help that you need to succeed in your job search.

• Highly Recommend!
    - 12/20/2019
    Michael Staubach  User Photo
    Michael Staubach • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator is/was one of the better decisions that I have made in my life. Their approach is catered to each student pending on the feedback of the student. In addition, the support given by the staff is at an exceptionally high level (especially Laura in the pathway program and John the .Net instructor) and does not simply end when you are finished with the cohort. I did not anticipate coming to such a fast paced bootcamp (14 weeks) would result in such a sense of community for those that you graduate with and the alumni that went prior. Highly recommend, changed the trajectory of my career.

• It's a book.
    - 12/20/2019
    CAMERON SCHOONOVER  User Photo
    CAMERON SCHOONOVER • PNC Software Developer Associate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Yep. Got chapters and everything. Pages held together by glue (At least I hope that's glue).

That was just a book review from an assignment! This program was great. Our instructors were personable and stayed almost as late as we did each day. The team's commitment to our success was obvious, both on the technical and behavioral skill sets. I can say that I have developed skills in all of the technologies they mentioned, aside from the Selenium Tool Suite, and I have tools they have provided to continue to develop my skills for fun ( Seriously, I mean fun!). As someone with no development experience beforhand, nearly all my unstructured time from Monday to Saturday was spent working with code. They call it a bootcamp for a reason. I was not able to hold a job in the meantime and the few people who were quit to focus on our material. I do reccomend that all students do the same and focus on learning skills for their new career path.

Our cohort was a bit of an outlier, but I did have a job before finishing the program. Take that as you may, but you should attend Tech Elevator if you want to become a full stack web dev.

.NET!

• Deawna Alfonsi  User Photo
    Deawna Alfonsi • Applications Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Enrolling in the .NET Bootcamp at Tech Elevator in Pittsburgh was the perfect choice for me. When first reading about it, I was concerned it might be too good to be true, until I read various reviews and then ended up knowing someone who attended the cohort previous to mine. The whole experience was very professional from beginning to end. Every member of their staff really cares. They definitely come through on their commitment to set you up to receive a job. I took advantage of every opportunity they gave to groom us in this way and sure enough- it worked. I had a job offer before I even graduated and got my 2nd job offer just days after. I absolutely LOVE my career and the company I'm with now. I am SO GLAD I did it. Due to my personal circumstances I needed a solution to learn tech skiils quickly and then actually get a job doing it-- not years from now, but NOW. This did just that. It is an intense experience that requires intense commitment. For anyone that is willing to make this level of commitment, then this can truly be a life-changing opportunity. For me, it was BEYOND worth it. It feels good to be doing something I love in a field that's respected and brings financial stability. I am so happy I took the journey to get to this place. If you choose to do it, you will be in GREAT hands!
  • Life Changing
    - 12/12/2019
    Bradley Hills  User Photo
    Bradley Hills • Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

For anyone that is serious about learning software development and ready to put in the work required to break into the industry, there is no better place. I was surrounded by like-minded future developers that were just as driven as I was to succeed and a staff that is there to help every step of the way. The enviroment, instructors, curriculum, and 24/7 access to the facilities is second to none but there is one thing that sets Tech Elevator apart from any other Boot Camp in my opinion. The Pathway program. This program runs concurrent with your lessons and gets you prepared at every level to get noticed by organizations and ace your interview. I cannot understate the impact of the Pathway program!! If you are thinking about another school instead of Tech Elevator this is the aspect you should be evaluating with which ever school you are considering. It's one thing to learn these skills, but to have assistance in being able to effectively show off what you have just learned to employers and actually get them to invite you to interviews is what we are all really looking isn't it? They do not guarantee any type of employment, but if you follow this program and put your all into this for 14 weeks there is zero reason you should not find a job!

• Guan He  User Photo
    Guan He • Software Engineer Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

This review is about Tech Elevator Detroit Campus

In general, learning at Tech Elevator Detroit Campus is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I have met so many people who are genuine and interesting, and I quickly transitioned from a non-technical background to software engineering. I have already accepted my offer from Slalom even 3 weeks before graduation and the fact that employers were competing to get me in their teams greatly boosted my confidence.

My experience at Tech Elevator is real and I would like to share my story and opinion with anyone who is thinking about joining Tech Elevator Detroit Campus. You can connect with me either through linkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/guan-he/ or my email address: heguanelvis@gmail.com.

About myself

I have a master of public policy degree and a B.A. of English and International Studies. Being an immigrant made it challenging for me to establish my career here in the United States, and I was fairly nervous after graduation that I could not find a decent job. Prior to coming to Tech Elevator, I do not have much software development experience. I used Python at school to do some basic data analysis and have not used Java.

Detroit campus staff members

The Detroit campus is quite new. I am in the second cohort. There were four staff members when the cohort started and now they have hired our missions coordinator. Jeff and Nicole work really hard to connect with the employers and try to get them to school during the last few weeks for matchmaking events to get students employed. They are responsible for the non-academic aspect, including helping us create good pitches, craft resumes, networking etc. Andy and Margaret are great instructors who have years of experience using Java. They are always acessible whenever people have questions. Overall, all the staff are all very knowledgeable, patient, reliable and hardworking.

Java cohort curriculum

The curriculum consists of four modules. Module I is the fundamentals where we learned about Object Oriented Programming and the fundamentals. Module II is about Database and SQL to design tables and effectively store data. Module III is about the Java Spring Framework to create backend for web applications and Module IV (what I am learning right now) is about JavaScript and the Vue Framework to create interactive and responsive frontend pages. At Detroit, the curriculum focuses a lot on testing, which really helped me in the job search process. Students have their Tech Elevator Laptop and are given a really well written e-book link so that they can preview and review the lessons. In addition, Margaret and Andy also made great slides and sent out additional resources for self study and interviews.

Career program

Tech Elevator's career program is probably one of the best part about this boot camp. I would say it is way better even than my university. They teach you everything about marketing yourself, writing resumes and cover letters, networking with employers, behavior interviews and tech interviews, and the strict deadlines forces you to keep making changes to your documents and becoming more professional. They also invite industry professionals coming to campus to do mock interviews with you. My resume and linkedIn profile looks completely at a different level before I start applying for jobs. The most amazing part is that they also invite a lot of companies on campus to introduce themselves and you will defintely have the chance to interview with them at the matchmaking event. I met Slalom at an employer showcase and got the offer after the matchmaking event.

Next Steps

It is still 2 weeks before graduation and I am looking forward to doing my final capstone project. After graduation, I will take a trip to visit my family in China and get ready for my new position starting in February.

I really enjoy my time at Tech Elevator, and I believe they are doing a great job to help people get stated with a tech career and create IT professionals for the city of Detroit.

• All in -It's real!
    - 11/22/2019
    Kristian  User Photo
    Kristian • Associate Developer II • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator not only made me a full stack developer but it changed my life. My carreer was on a track to nothing beforehand, and now I'm a successful developer in the field.

Class is long and class is hard, but when you put in 110% you get 200% back. The staff is present and invested in your success the entire journey. I can't explain how many people I've been reccommending it to by word of mouth, it really is as great as they say. Which yeah totally sounds phishy right? But there is no greater joy for me than praising Tech Elevator every day. I preach it and I live it everyday.

Through the course of 14 weeks you learn a bunch, but what you really learn in the long run is the patterns and ways of thinking. In the end you will be thinking like a developer and ready to learn newer and more advanced concepts. That is the most valuable part I would argue. Every single day I go into work and I'm confronted with new concepts and technologies, but Tech Elevator taught me to learn them, tackle them, appreciate them, and truly Tech Elevator fueled my hunger for knowledge.

The Pathway program is another huge aspect of Tech Elevator. I don't think anyone would begin to think about Tech Elevator without thinking of the Pathway program. My Pathway staff was incredible, Jessica, thank you. You're walked through the do's and don't's of the IT world, what to excpect, how to achieve it, and again back to those patterns, ways to continue to do so. If Tech Elevator had a 2nd course for advanced level concepts I'd be there in a minute because I know it would be worth my time.

• Baptism by fire...
    - 10/22/2019
    Heidi Gray  User Photo
    Heidi Gray • C# Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR

Overall great experience. It took alot of time, work, and money (I don't have $15, 500 in my couch cushions...), but it paid off (and now paying off that loan). I got a job offer one week before graduation and accepted it. I love what I'm doing and if you want some unsolicited advice scroll to the bottom.

MY BACKGROUND

When I saw I have no computer programming experience, I mean NONE. I didn't even do the HTML stuff to my Myspace page when I had one (RIP top five). I asked a computer programmer friend what language he recommended me trying out and he said to try JavaScript. That was in April. I started my bootcamp in May...#myexperience

I come from a television production background in Los Angeles. I was tired for working 12+ hour days and not really having a skill. Plumbers plumb, Electricians wire things, Builders build things, and I wanted a skill that had good pay, benefits, and offered interesting challenges.

I knew that my life was going to transition out of film and into something else. All I knew is I wanted to learn a language something like Mandarin, Russian, or Korean, something easy (joke). But instead of any of those languages, I found computer programming and Tech Elevator...

HOW I FOUND TECH ELEVATOR

I was listening to NPR and heard the ad for Tech Elevator and learning to code.  ​

Nutshell: After reading their website and reviews here on course report, I took the test, scored well on the test, talked on the phone with Terry to schedule interview, filled out application, took another aptitude test, interview, got accepted. Woo!

I decided to go to an open house down in Detroit when I got to meet Anthony and Andrea and ask more questions and hear their spiel in person. I was so impressed that instead of starting in September like I had originally intended, I decided to be a guinea pig and move up my date to May the first iteration of the Detroit bootcamp. Cohort[0] forever!

STAFF

Margaret and Andy were my professors during the bootcamp and they are both phenomenal! They truly cared and took time to help me understand when I was struggling. And when I had to take two days off for a wedding in California and another day off because my aunt died, they helped me get back on my feet and catch pace again with the rest of the class.

Nicole and Jeff worked equally as hard on their end in the bakground to make sure they were finding businesses for matchmaking, finding speakers to come share their wisdom, and helping our resumes shine above the rest!

CURRICULUM

I appreciated the structure of the curriculum and the tools they used to keep a pulse on how we were doing. Everyday they knew how you were doing through a survey quiz thing.

We learned object-oriented programming using Java, PostgreSQL, Spring MVC, JavaScript, Vue.js, and CSS/HTML. Maybe you're reading that right now thinking, "Sh!t, I don't have a clue what any of that is?" Well, then you would've been me about five months ago. Lol. You'll learn it. It'll be hard, but by God you'll learn!

EQUIPMENT

The laptops they provided worked great. I definitely had to adjust to using a PC...They had great monitors there and system for showing coding on all the screen so we didn't have to rely on the whiteboard all the time.

FEEDBACK

• I've read some other reviews on here saying they don't spend a lot of time on front end and I would agree. It does take a little bit of a back burner compared to the back end stuff, but I think with the timeframe they are working with, they do a great job.

• Sometimes I had feedback to give, but no one or thing to entrust it to. It would be nice if they created an active email account for the different bootcamps where current students could submit feedback whether on assignments, structure, staff, or whatever they thought could be improved. That way instead of the feedback getting lost in classroom discussions, it could be received, pondered, and implemented.

• Tech Elevator didn't realize when they started in Detroit how big Test Driven Development (TDD) was here so when it came time for interviews, we were mostly prepared for whiteboarding exercises and less of TDD stuff (though many of us took extra time outside of the classroom to prepare for this). If they haven't carved out a space for TDD in the curriculum, my feedback would be that they do so.

• Career Pathway - this is the least sexy thing about bootcamp (no offense, Nicole). Who wants to stop working on their coding application to go to class to learn about how to format their resume? Unsexy, but necessary. However, I felt like the first two sessions of Career Pathways were really severe. We were getting mixed signals about how it was "optional", but "if you want a job, you'll come". If that's the case, then don't make it fake "optional", make it "mandatory". Just remember, it will make a difference and make sure you implement any feedback Nicole gives you on your resume. It will help!

WHERE I AM NOW

One week from graduation, I got a job offer from a great company. I'm currently training with them and I'm loving every minute of it. #sexyresume

Side note: I did a Java bootcamp, but got a C# job. I was worried about this at first even though they are both OOP, but my professors assured me it was super similar and they were right. It's not a bad transition at all!

UNSOLICITED ADVICE

//You get what you put into this program. Margaret and Andy can't solve your problems for you, but they can help guide you on the right path. You might have to get there early, you might have to stay late, and if you're like me you have to do both of those things.

//Don't. Be. Afraid. To. Ask. Questions. You are only hurting yourself if you don't raise your hand and admit you don't understand and ask if they could go over it again because chances are someone sitting next to you felt the same way, but they didn't have the guts to raise their hand. Be gutsy in admitting you don't know!

//Take a walk. When they give breaks, get out of that classroom and do a loop around TechTown. It helps.

//Help one another. There is not a single person who knows it all or has all the answers. The people on your right and left are going to be your family for the next 14 weeks and you'll need each other.

• Lazer Porter  User Photo
    Lazer Porter • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had been working around 6 years in a field that was not bringing me any real satisfaction when I decided to enroll in Tech Elevator.  I gave myself 1 year to pull it off myself - learn online and get a job as a developer - and when that year ran out, I turned to Tech Elevator as the fastest reliable way to just start working in what I love - coding.

Learning Process

The curriculum is structured in a sensible way that progresses from one day to the next.  Every single day has a homework assignment that incorporates that day's ideas.  Lecture is around 3 hours, and the rest of the day is working with classmates and instructors to apply the ideas firsthand.  I loved this balance because class did not drag on - if you listened closely, you understood, and if you missed anything you had the rest of the day to work on it one-on-one with an instructor.

Each instructor is experienced and knows can explain ideas in different ways for different minds.  I appreciated that the instructor of the Java class was always happy to sit and help a .NET student, and that the curriculum designer himself would make time to help me think things through.

Job Guidance

The Pathway Program is everything it's hyped up to be.  Learning and practicing soft-skills, iterating on our resumes, and meeting major employers for around 10 interviews per student is a pretty amazing edge to have in your job search.  I got a couple of competitive offers and accepted one before the bootcamp was completed.

Environment

The staff and students must be pretty carefully selected because every last person on campus was genuinely pleasant, easy to work with, and motivated to make a good life.  I can't think of too many environments like that, and anyone who studies there or works there is very lucky to have such healthy surroundings!

Summary

If you are looking to reach your first job in the industry in a minimal amount of time, and you're motivated to put in the work, Tech Elevator will give you a clear set of goals to meet and all of the support and tools you need along the way.  Strongly recommended!

• Aluna Kaur  User Photo
    Aluna Kaur • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I enrolled into Tech Elevator with minimal coding experience. I was not sure what I had gotten myself into, but I can say that it is among the best decisions I have ever made. Starting with the curriculum, I found the first few weeks to be the most difficult. Being new to programming certainly had it's challenges, however I found the instructors to be extremely committed to my success. They were an amazing support network, and exercised great patience while I was learning. I feel the material itself prepared me well for any aspect of programming, it truly gives you a full-stack of knowledge. What I found really separated Tech Elevator from other camps in the area is the Pathway Program. The program at Tech Elevator really feels like two courses. One you learn to code, the other prepares in navigating the job market. This program teaches you how to craft a resume, prepare for an interview, building a LinkedIn, and working with recruiters. The crown jewel of Pathway is Matchmaking, where you are set up with a variety of interviews with companies big and small in the area. In the event you don't get a job from Matchmaking (like me), the team at Tech Elevator is absolutely committed to your success, and will continue to help you until you are placed. In summation, the entire team is behind every student, and really wants to help you succeed. The course work is challenging, and asking for help from instructors or classmates when needed will be the key to success. Job placement is taken very seriously, and if you graduate you will get a job in the field. You will not only leave the program with knowledge and employment, but also a network of fellow students(and Alumni), committed staff, and other members of the field in the area. This network will last, and will assist you moving forward should any issues arise as well. It is a culture that dedicates itself to elevating oneself, and also to elevating others. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to break into the field.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here