tech-elevator-logo

Tech Elevator

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Online, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Tech Elevator

Tech Elevator is an immersive 14-week coding bootcamp with tracks in Java and .NET. Their mission is to elevate people, companies, and communities. Students will learn from instructors who have an average of 20 years of experience working in the field and will gain an understanding of the foundational computer science concepts and theory necessary for a professional software developer, with special emphasis on practical application, techniques, and tools. Students in both the Java and .NET tracks will also learn client-side web programming including Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON. In the .NET track, students will also be exposed to C#. For the final capstone project, students will work together on a business project, building a fully-functional app using either Java or .NET.

In addition to the classroom hours, students will get 20+ hours of career sessions through the Pathway Program™, which focuses on developing soft skills and connecting you to the right companies through events like Employer Matchmaking. Career coaches and mentors will help with resume building, interview coaching, strengths assessment and more. The team will work with students from the start of the program to ensure they don't just get a job as a programmer, but that they are on a fulfilling, rewarding career path.

Recent Tech Elevator Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (239) reviews for Tech Elevator →

Recent Tech Elevator News

Read all (40) articles about Tech Elevator →
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns, and Client-side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    Financing available through Sallie Mae or SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$7,750 due on day 1 of the bootcamp, $7,750 due in week 8 of the bootcamp
  • Java Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Java, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationDetroit, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in Java, Serverside programming in Java, Database programming in Java, Java frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Detroit
  • .NET Coding Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, SQL
    Start Date September 14, 2020
    LocationCincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh
    Course topics include: Introduction to programming in C#/.NET, Serverside programming in C#/.NET, Database programming in C#/.NET, C#/.NET frameworks and design patterns and Client side web programming (Javascript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Web services, XML, JSON).
    September 14, 2020 - Columbus
    September 14, 2020 - Cincinnati
    September 14, 2020 - Cleveland
    September 14, 2020 - Pittsburgh
  • Jesse Dill  User Photo
    Jesse Dill • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    To say that Tech Elevator changed my life would be an understatement. I increased my salary by 41% in just 14-weeks and now have a new career as a Software Engineer. The program itself was challenging to say the least. However, I felt prepared, coached, mentored and confident with myself after the program was completed. I wish I made this decision earlier in my life. No where else can a 30+ year old go back to school and change their life just in 14-weeks.

Prior to Tech Elevator, I was a freelance Sound Engineer on blockbuster movies, documentaries and commercials. As rewarding and fulfilling as that job was, it was a hard unpredictable business that financially kept me on my toes most of the time. I wanted something a little more stable for my family. I have always been interested in tech and coding but would never seem to grasp the concepts fully while I was self-learning. I was looking for something in which I could drastically change my career quickly without a ton of time. My wife suggested a bootcamp. We discovered Tech Elevator and went to an open-house. I knew right there after hearing about the program and the the graduation success rate and job placement rate that this was the program for me. The first day of class, they threw you right into coding. Not a gentle nudge but rather a throw off of a cliff. It was a hard and  intense program. For 14-weeks, all I did was code all day and at night, coded in my dreams. Alongside my studies, there is a program called the Pathway Program®. It’s soft interviewing and resume skills to make sure not only do you have the technical skills but also the interviewing skills to land a job.

Overall, I learned so much and owe everything I have to the wonderful teachers and staff of Tech Elevator. I would not have landed a job 5 days after graduation without them. I would HIGHLY recommend Tech Elevator to anyone!

• Steve  User Photo
    Steve • Junior Software Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I had been wanting a change in my career as an educator for years--I had researched boot camps back when I lived in New York City and wrote them off as a long-gone dream, given the prohibitive cost, time without salary, and lack of financing options for the ones in NYC.

After an unbelievably difficult year professionally as a teacher here in Columbus, I explored Tech Elevator as a serious means to finally become the coder I dreamed of, making more money (and thereby escaping the exhaustion of working full-time as a classroom teacher and a bartender on the weekends).

After attending an open house of January 2016, I was impressed by their statistics around job placement, success rate, and the financing options available. I applied within a week or two and quickly after was accepted into the Fall 2017 cohort, too far into the future to really get amped but close enough to feel the school year wasn't going to kill all of me. And finally starting boocamp in August 2017 was a dream come true for me--I was finally getting to put to use my coding skills I'd been dabbling in since I was 9 years old.

What's truly remarkable and distinctive about Tech Elevator is the way they weave the Pathway Program, the curriculum related to career development and job searching, into the bootcamp. The consistent advice we heard from alumni was, "Do the Pathway Program. Do what they tell you to do. Listen to the pathway director and do exactly what they say." THEY WERE NOT JOKING. Not only were the Pathway tasks easy to do but I noticed a pretty distinct correlation between people who followed the Pathway curriculum and job opportunities. It is often difficult to balance the challenging and complex coursework in the latter half of bootcamp with the demands of really hustling for a position BUT really pushing yourself to take advantage of all the advice and opportunities pays off in dividends.

All of this is to say that I lined up a number of really exciting interviews and opportunites by the end of the program and on graduation day I signed for a position at a company of my dreams. Tech Elevator not only gave me the enormous boost into the tech field that I'd been wanting for years but it taught me how to function as a professional in the field, how to truly advocate for myself, and brought out the inner hustler in me I never knew I had. I begin my first week of work at a truly innovative and exciting company that is helping make a number of my goals and dreams come true.

The instructors and staff members have a laser-focused goal of helping every single student out and to those to put in the work and hours and focus and drive, much is to be gained. My life has a renewed hope in it all thanks to Tech Elevator!

• Marty  User Photo
    Marty • application developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I spent over two years struggling. I was making about $28K a year and I was very unfulfilled with the work I was doing. A personal friend of my father’s recommended Tech Elevator to me. I spent about a week looking into this program and about a dozen or so others. In the Cleveland area there were 4 bootcamps with a physical location that I knew of at the time. I think what separates Tech Elevator is this: They care about your success. A lot of these places are run by colleges. My experience after graduating from college was that I was abandoned to search for jobs myself and I felt unprepared. Tech Elevator was with the students the entire way.

Tech Elevator focuses on technical skills as well as soft skills. They work to prepare you to do the job as well as train you how to look, apply, and interview for jobs. They have a program called the pathway program which helps get you ready for searching for jobs and making connections. There was a big emphasis on an event they have called matchmaking where they bring about 20 companies in for interviews. You get to have face to face meetings with about half of them.

The program is no cake walk. It was very challenging and I would suggest that you not work at all during the program. I spent roughly 12 hours a day everyday working on coursework as well as personal projects. About a third of students get hired through matchmaking. This was the best decision I have ever made. It was the most challenging and enjoyable thing I have ever been through. I am more proud of the certificate I received from Tech Elevator than I am of my college diploma. about

If you are tired of where you’re at in life I’d suggest you at least check the place out. They are a physical location for all your classes as opposed to online. They have a full staff of employees with industry experience which includes 3 instructors all of who have at least 10 years of experience in the industry. The staff is constantly available to answer questions about everything and anything. The entire staff helped look over resumes and review interview questions along with anything else.

• Jason  User Photo
    Jason • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before Tech Elevator, I was working at a tech company (in a non-development role), slowly learning to code online on the side, and after interviewing with Tech Elevator and meeting several members of their staff, I decided to put my faith in their model and take the jump to become a full-stack software developer.

The technical curriculum hits on all of the skills needed to get started with a career in software development, and perhaps more importantly, the Pathway Program turns students into job interview masters and helps to create as many opportunities as possible, from matchmaking with hiring employers to best practices for getting involved in the community and creating the relationships that can lead to that first job.

Through the Pathway Program, I had several promising interviews with great companies, and had a job lined up by the time we started our final capstone project.

For me, Tech Elevator was an “upskill break” from a related career, but several students in our cohort made total 180-degree career changes too, and came away with similar results. Tech Elevator has high standards for acceptance, so just know this: If you get accepted, then you can totally make it in this field!

• Life changing
    - 11/12/2017
    Chad   User Photo
    Chad • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

TLDR- Tech Elevator changed my life. The staff are amazing and it's a great way to jumpstart your career.

Before Tech Elevator I had a 50 mile commute and wrote plans for people with developmental disabilities. I loved my job and ok money. My boss was kind and I liked my coworkers.

Writing plans creates a lot of paper. We created a committee to help reduce the amount of paper we were going through and try to find a more efficient and effective way for plan creation. Through this process I found that I really enjoyed working with ECM and was amazed at how many people you could help if you could build something useful. I decided that I wanted to learn more about programming so that I could continue to help people but in a different capacity.

I started to consume as much information as possible on programming. I attended events, read reviews, and did anything I could to try and teach myself how to code. I wasn't super successful and often times felt like I was trying to learn a new language on a different planet. Immersing myself in self teaching wasn't going to cut it for me so I started to attend Tech Elevator open houses. At the open houses I talked to students and teachers to try to get a feel for what this program was going to be about. I liked the feel of it. It seemed like a place where they cared about their students and you could see the passion on the students’ faces when they talked about the classes.

I was accepted in July of 2016 but decided I was going to attend the Winter Cohort in January of 2017. I made this decision so that I could save money to help pay for my living expenses while I was in Tech Elevator.

Sidenote about finances: I tried to save up about 6 months of living expenses for myself which seemed to work for my situation. My wife was a big help while I was in the program and I really leaned on her financially during the program. My advice is to really sit down and plan out your expenses. Not having a good plan in place could be a huge stressor when you get towards the end of the program.  I did take out the loan from skillsfund which helped remove the stress of money tremendously. Find what will work for you and your family and roll with it. The program is great and you will get a lot more out of it if your finances are in order.

Try to learn as much as you can before attending Tech Elevator. I found that other students who had some programming experience before class got to take their skills to the next level because they understood the concepts much quicker. I had used codecademy to teach myself some html/css and javascript but wish I had made more of an attempt to learn C#. Jump on youtube and you'll find lots of tutorials. Find one that you think is fun and just do it. You may not understand everything that they are talking about but it will give you a chance to evaluate where you are and to research those things that you didn't quite understand.

There are a lot of reviews about what the program is like so I am going to skip the “during” part. Overall, the program was a great experience. I learned a ton of things that I could not have learned without the amazing Tech Elevator staff and the patience they had to explain concepts over and over. I went to a lot of review sessions, practiced a lot in small groups and one-on-one. Seek help early and often and don't be afraid to ask questions!

I received two job offers while at Tech Elevator - one before matchmaking and one during. Getting a job should be priority number two though. You have 14 weeks to concentrate on learning as much information as they can give you. With that being said don't neglect it. My advice is to get involved with LinkedIn early and start making connections with people you know in the industry. Invite people to coffee or lunch and talk to them about their experiences and any advice that they have to give.

I graduated in April of 2017, started my new career that same month and have been happily employed since. I celebrated my 6 months of work last month, my two year wedding anniversary, and my wife and I bought a house.

After Tech Elevator I have a 6 mile commute and work as a junior developer. Tech Elevator truely elevated my career and changed my life.

Thank you Tech Elevator!

• Asher  User Photo
    Asher • Web Manager/Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Tech Elevator helped me pivot in my career to a more technical role, land a great web developer position at a major U.S. university, and fast track my way to a 35% annual income increase.

That's not to say it was easy or for the faint of heart. There's a lot of complex material to learn very quickly - in and out of the classroom - all while gearing up for a job search in a new field. The good news is that Tech Elevator gives you the tools and resources to be successful.

Perhaps just as importantly as learning to code, the curriculum also taught me how to think like a programmer. I found this to be one the most valuable takeaways and a skill I use everyday in my new job, even when I'm not writing code.

Before entering the program, I had completed both undergraduate and graduate degrees in more conventional institutions, so I feel confident saying David Wintrich is one of the most talented instructors I've had in my educational career. Being able to communicate complex material to a room full of students with varying technical skill levels - and also hold the attention of a classroom for four-plus hours a day, five days a week for 14 weeks! - is a real talent.

As a first-generation professional, the Pathway Program taught me skills that I'll continue to use throughout my career - from more effectively networking and confidently negotiating a starting salary to navigating technical interviews.

One drawback (that I think was mostly unforeseen given my cohort was one of the first sets of Winter graduates) was the timing of our December graduation. The holiday season is generally a slow hiring period which left many students with an anxious energy and a slightly longer job search than our counterparts who graduated in the Spring and Summer. Anecdotally though, I'd say 90% of my fellow classmates were able to land tech jobs once things picked up in the new year.

With all that said, coding bootcamps aren't for everyone. The learning is very fast-paced and it requires a certain tenacity to continue your learning outside of the classroom while also job hunting. I think Tech Elevator's high job placement rate attests to the strength of their program and admission screening process.

Overall, I had a great experience, made some friends along the way, and was able to successfully take the next step in my career. I think Tech Elevator is doing great things to put the state of Ohio - and particularly the Northeast Ohio region - on the map as a growing technology hub.

• Daniel Volosov  User Photo
    Daniel Volosov • Application Development Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

[My Introduction]

Tech Elevator is a school that I did research on for a few months before taking the plunge to attend. While I've posted numerous videos about my coding journey on YouTube (Search ‘Daniel Volosov’, if interested), the summary is that I graduated from university in 2014 with a B.B.A. in marketing, and began a career in sales. I left my first company after a year due to a long feeling of isolation, and really missing the teamwork aspect of working on team projects in college. I moved onto a recruiting position which I felt was not a good fit for me. I felt like I wasn't being challenged enough in the technical sense, and I couldn't imagine building a career this way. I ultimately accepted another sales role in Miami, FL. The location seemed unique, and I packed my bags and made the move to a place where I didn't know anyone or anything about.

While I felt successful in my new role, it wasn't until 6 months in that I started writing code at coffee shops after work. I was learning and practicing with free online resources, and felt that I finally found something that challenged me and resonated with my tech interests. After 7 months of self-study, I finally decided that it was time to do something about my newly discovered fascination. I knew that it wasn't in my interest to go for another bachelor's degree, so instead; I started reading about coding bootcamps.

I knew that I wanted to attend a bootcamp that specialized in an object oriented language like Java, and also knew that I didn't want to stay in Miami for much longer. I started looking in my hometown of Cleveland, and discovered Tech Elevator through its Course Report reviews and website. I had an interview afterwards, and was committed from the get-go. Moved back to Cleveland to attend.

[Review Begins]

Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. It was the catalyst to the start of my software development and tech career.

Curriculum - Tech Elevator gives you the choice to specialize in the Java programming language, or .NET. I've had people reach out to me and ask which one to begin with, but ultimately, it does not matter. The two are very similar and there are many jobs out there which ask for skills in one or the other. I picked Java simply because I gravitated to the open-source environment, and was already reading about it before the bootcamp. While you will specialize in one of the two, you'll also learn about databases, front-end development, MVC, security and many topics in between.

Daily Structure - My day would start at 9 a.m., although I'd try to arrive earlier to set up and grab a cup of coffee from the kitchen. The kitchen was stocked with unlimited coffee, as well as little snacks like pretzels, animal crackers and mints. We would be seated in the classroom at 9 a.m., and have lecture for approximately 3 hours. My instructor, Joe, was fun to learn from and was an all around great guy. Also very funny. After lecture we would typically grab lunch with friends or individually, and then begin on individual work or pair programming exercises. You also had the option to schedule appointments with Craig for additional support and guidance. Craig is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and I was thankful for his patience and understanding. Some days would be structured differently based on if there were employer showcases or pathway program events.

Employer Showcases - These were scheduled events where different employers from the area would present their company to the group. They brought in lunch and gave us insight into the field and what their company was looking for. It was a great chance to ask questions and further expand our networks.

Career Support - Tech Elevator's Pathway Program was fantastic. They would help students with everything from resumes, to interviewing skills. They would prepare students for technical interviews through instructors and software developers in the field. This was all very valuable to me, but it was especially remarkable to watch some of the more introverted students blossom and fulfill their true potential by the end of the program.

Matchmaking - This was a unique event that allowed us to have speed-dating esque interviews with employers in the area. If you click with an employer, they may invite you for a second interview. I actually met my current employer through this event. Even if you don't end up working for one of the employers at the matchmaking event, you will still gain invaluable interviewing skills through the sheer amount of interviews you have during those two days.

Conclusion - Tech Elevator was a life-changing experience for me. I expanded my tech-network significantly, learned the fundamentals of programming, built on my soft skills and even walked away with my first job in software development. With that being said, I think the most important part of being successful at Tech Elevator is to trust what the instructors and staff are telling you to do. They have the experience, and are not going to steer you in the wrong direction. Students that commit to ALL aspects of the program will be the ones who walk away with the most success.

A big thank you to the Cleveland Tech Elevator staff, and I can't wait to see what the future will bring!

• CJ Horsfall  User Photo
    CJ Horsfall • Software Development Engineer in Test • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before I attended Tech Elevator I was working a boring, tedious job as a 3rd shift quality control chemist in South Carolina. I felt trapped in a dead-end career where I was completing the same tasks over and over again, and filling out (by hand) lab paperwork that could have been done electronically over and over again. I knew I needed a change in career, but didn't want to go back to college. One day, after telling my mother for the upteenth time about how I loathed going to work every night, I mentioned how I was interested in software, but didn't know how to start. She mentioned that a friend of her's was talking about a coding bootcamp in my hometown of Cleveland called Tech Elevator, which piqued my interest. Long story short: I applied, got in, and graduated in December 2016 from the Java cohort.

The instructors are top notch, and definitely know there stuff. I spent countless hours with Craig after class, who was extremely helpful, and stayed well after 5 P.M. to explain concepts to me. While we attended class and worked on projects, Tiffany was setting up interviews with local companies for the us.

I learned a ton, and enjoyed almost every minute of it (except when I had the flu for a few days and still attended class). I now have a job with a rather large regional bank. I'm paid well, valued as someone who does good work, and most importantly: I'm happy.

That all being said, there were a few cons I feel the need to point out. First, was that the lead Java instructor at the time had just had a baby, so he was out to take care of things at home a lot. I understand that it's not something anybody can do much about, but I did feel that the Java students weren't fairly compensated in instruction during that period. Secondly, I graduated in December when many companies just aren't hiring much. I didn't start a new job until April. I felt that the lack of jobs during that time of the year was downplayed some by the Tech Elevator staff. Many students graduating in the cohort after mine (Spring) were accepting job offers before graduation.

Overall, I think attending Tech Elevator was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

• Brian C.  User Photo
    Brian C. • Applications Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before learning about Tech Elevator, I spent around 6 months learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript while working on a blog for my work as a private guitar instructor. I found I really enjoyed the challenge and creativity of programming, and began considering a career change to web development. Though I was making progress through self-study, I knew I needed help building my skills if I wanted to become employable.

It was around that same time that Tech Elevator announced it would be opening a campus in Columbus. I took the online assessment, attended an orientation, took part in an interview, and eventually accepting a spot in the Spring 2017 Java Development cohort. Everything I saw and read about the organization suggested it was the real deal, so I took a bet on myself and went for it.

Though the program is challenging - the equivalent of 14 straight weeks of college finals, with an extensive job search thrown on top - the personnel and structure ensure that anyone with the proper aptitude and drive will succeed. The instructors were amazing - knowledgeable, patient, and continuously offering their time and support. The Pathways Program was just as important; they worked to get us in front of dozens of top companies, and prepared us to shine in those meetings.

In the end, the hard work paid off. I had multiple job offers before graduation, and eventually accepted an software development position with JPMorgan Chase & Co. I’m learning a ton every day, working with many of the same technologies taught during the program.

Thanks to Tech Elevator, I’ve completely changed the trajectory of my life. If you’re a hard worker, an avid learner, and interested in a career in technology, I highly recommend you consider this program

• A Solid Investment
    - 8/12/2017
    Launa G.  User Photo
    Launa G. • Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Attended: Cohort[5], May - August 2017

For those seeking to upgrade their skill set or pivot into a new career as a software developer, business analyst, or quality assurance specialist, Tech Elevator (TE) is a solid investment.  If you had told me three months ago that I would end up working as an IT consultant for Fortune 1000 companies, I would have called your bluff…and yet here I am today!  The company’s CEO, Mr. Anthony Hughes, likens the 14-week course to an “inflection point” for many of its students, and I think his description is accurate.  Truthfully, I don’t think I will grasp the total significance of my decision to enroll in the boot camp for several years to come.

Why Tech Elevator?

Dedicated, Experienced Instructors – I was in the C#/.NET class, which originally wasn’t my first choice.  However, I am now very glad I decided to join that group because sometimes your instructor can make or break your experience, and Josh Tucholski is one of the best instructors that I’ve ever had, period.  He’s patient and humble with a good sense of humor and a passion for seeing students succeed. He’s also a vegetarian and long-distance runner, which makes him cool in my book.  :D  You can tell that he puts in way more than a 40- or 50-hour week just because he cares.  He arrives at the building early every day and alternates between teaching, interviewing new students and faculty, developing the curriculum, assisting students and other instructors, and meeting with students one-on-one for check-in sessions.  If you check the time of his emails and messages, some of them read 9:00 or 10:00 p.m.  When I went to the open house and spoke with him, I could envision myself learning under him.  I highly recommend going to an open house if you can just to interact with the instructors and ask them questions about what you’ll be learning.

I also had the privilege of working with Craig, an instructor available to help students individually and in small groups.  Craig explains concepts very well and is an invaluable resource for those trying to master OOP.  He is also a secret sketch artist and makes beautiful wireframes for our capstone projects.

Full-Stack Curriculum – I had never built a dynamic web application before the class, but I now have a better understanding of how the many components of a website fit together in the context of the browser-server relationship.  I left the course excited for how I could apply my new skills and develop projects.  It would have taken me many, many months to get to that point on my own.

Good Location – parking is free, and the lot is gated.  I always felt safe.  You receive a key fob that lets you open and close the gate and get in the building 24/7. There are several other companies in the building, which made the environment more fun.  Across the hallway we had a window into a lab where technicians experimented with fruit flies and mixed chemicals with pipettes.

Talented, Kind, and Interesting Classmates – In our cohort alone, we had a magician, a PeaceCorps worker, a farmer, a high school valedictorian, an English teacher, an EPA worker, and a yoga teacher.  I enjoyed getting to know everyone and hope to stay in touch after the program.  There was no drama, competition, or mean-spiritedness in our .NET class; everyone got along well and frequently took breaks to talk over lunch, walk outside to food spots, or play ping pong.

Consistent Career Development Practice – At times I became frustrated because it was challenging to balance both the Pathway (career development) and class sides of the program, but I gained a lot of useful practice with behavioral and technical interviews.  TE staff members practice interviewing with students, but also bring in professionals to conduct mock one-on-one interviews and provide detailed feedback.  The Employer Matchmaking session, which is essentially speed-dating with eight or nine different companies over a two-day period to determine if both parties want to move ahead in the interview process, also helped me to become comfortable interviewing through its sheer repetition.

Varied Employer Network – Most of the prominent software companies and IT shops are in TE’s network, from financial services and insurance to healthcare to custom apps and consulting.  Students have opportunities to network with representatives throughout the course of the program and receive assistance if they are interested in a company outside the network.

Strong Program Outcomes – In our cohort alone, I can count at least ten people including myself (we had around 25-30 people total) who had jobs before the end of the program.  At the open houses, program representatives say there is a 98 percent job placement rate so many days after graduation.  I was impressed when I heard that number and based on how many people have been hired already, I am hopeful that our cohort will match that statistic.

Tips for Success

• Really go in with some practice under your belt; you will get much more out of the course and be able to scaffold your learning better.  I recommend taking Udacity’s “Introduction to Computer Science” course (Python) with Dave Evans from UVA or any other MOOC that has structured assignments and a blog community that discusses answers to questions.  While you experiment with different courses, see if you like coding and can imagine yourself doing it for several hours at a time every day.  If you enjoy puzzle-solving and creativity, you probably will! :)

• Have one or more side projects that you can discuss with employers.  Every time an employer came to visit us, they talked about the importance of standing out and showing your passion with projects.  You also learn a lot by doing side projects.

While browsing course reports earlier this year, I struggled to determine whether I was ready to invest my time and money in a boot camp and if so, how to go about selecting one.  Here is a little window into my decision-making process and how I landed at Tech Elevator, in case that might be helpful to anyone:

Choosing a Coding Boot Camp

Why choose a coding boot camp compared to other forms of education like online certificates, associates programs, or second bachelor degrees?  I started with "learn-to-code" websites originally, but eventually I decided to opt for an in-person experience because I knew I could accelerate my learning through:

(1)  Access to experienced mentors who provide feedback, guidance, and instruction on “what you don’t know you don’t know”

(2)  Larger and more complex assignments and projects

(3) A community of peers with whom I could share ideas and encouragement

(4)  Total immersion

From there, I had to choose between a formal degree program and the boot camp model.  I eventually settled on the latter for financial reasons.  If you actually compare the total number of credit hours at a university with the total number of hours of class instruction and career support at a boot camp, you get a lot more “bang for your buck” with the boot camp.  Furthermore, even though boot camps have a high flat cost, securing jobs through them can be easier because they specialize in building employment networks and are incentivized to help students find jobs in order to maintain their employment outcomes.  As a consequence, you may be able to pay off your debts more quickly than going through a university.

My last step was to find the boot camp that best met my needs.  I didn’t want to relocate for the program, so I looked only in the greater Cleveland area.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing research on different options available and asking as many questions as you can when speaking with representatives.  One boot camp I investigated seemed very disorganized.  Different recruiters contacted me and didn’t seem to communicate with each other or follow up with my messages.  The recruiters also couldn’t tell me who the lead instructor of the course was, what employers were in their network, or what their program outcomes were.  It was only through persistent questioning that I learned that I would be applying for the camp’s inaugural class.  I backpedaled on that option and ultimately chose to apply for TE because it had established a solid reputation in the community, was open about its employer network and program outcomes, and had a transparent and rigorous application process (a sign of high-quality, in my view).

Assessing Your Interest and Readiness for the Boot Camp

Unlike other boot camps with part-time options, TE only offers full-time, intensive study.  Lectures take place from 9 a.m. to noon with a mid-morning break, and then following lunch, students are expected to work on their afternoon programming assignments from 1-4:30 p.m.  Career preparation events take place either over the 12-1 lunch hour or in the evening after class and have included activities like networking with recruiters and employers, formatting LinkedIn profiles and resumes, answering behavioral and technical interview questions, and participating in panel discussions with school alumni or industry professionals.  (Besides the mandatory career preparation events, you have the flexibility to determine when to take your lunch break and whether you need to leave early on any given day.)

How did I gauge my level of interest and readiness for the course?  Normally, I’m the type of person who agonizes over making any sort of life decision—especially one that is time-consuming and costly.  Eventually, however, you have to come to the place where you feel comfortable making a calculated risk.  I came to TE after graduating in 2014 with a bachelor’s degree in Religion and spending 2.5 years at a nonprofit teaching GED, financial literacy, and life skills courses for youth facing barriers to employment.  While the work was enjoyable and very meaningful, I found myself delving more and more into programming and computer science through books, Udacity courses, and side projects during the evenings and weekends.  I had an itch to further develop my programming skills and grow professionally, but I was hesitant to make the time and financial commitment.  I was finally able to escape my decision paralysis and apply for the program after:

• Attending an Open House.  Seriously, doing so makes the idea of attending the school much more concrete.  The C#/.NET instructor, Java instructor, CEO, and Pathway program representatives are usually there, and you’ll have the ability to interact with them, ask questions, tour the facility, and listen to presentations about the curriculum.  If you are able to go, I highly recommend it.

• Considering the Purpose of the “Defining Decade.”  This tip is for fellow twentysomethings, who also, coincidentally, represented the majority of the students in the program when I attended.   Although there is undoubtedly substantial opportunity for growth and change beyond one’s twenties, I agree with clinical psychologist Meg Jay’s argument that actions taken during this decade can set our long-term trajectory in terms of income, health and family.  It is easier to take risks now when you have fewer obligations and expectations made of you, and the payoff could be enormous.

• Rethinking the "Career as Identity" Philosophy.  A graduate student once advised me to approach my career more like a scientist and less like a lover seeking her soul mate.  Rather than trying to find the “perfect job” or “perfect next step,” he recommended that I run quick, iterative tests to determine what I liked and didn’t like and then adjust accordingly.  Today I feel much more empowered to try new things by simply reframing my thoughts from “What am I born/meant to do?” to “What would I like to try next that would be enjoyable and important to me?”  Reframing your thoughts like this is also helpful when bumping into industry stereotypes about who is “technical” and who is not.  Don’t believe that just because you don’t match popular depictions of tech workers—if you don’t have a CS degree, are female, a minority, etc—that you don’t “belong” somehow.  There are many people succeeding, and more companies are realizing that such stereotypes are a problem, as was recently illustrated by the firing at Google.

• Researching the Occupational Outlook for Software Developers.  Programming is ubiquitous. During the program, you’ll hear time and again that “every company is a technology company.”  With the skill set you begin building in TE, you can eventually hold a technical role in virtually any industry—from healthcare to finance to manufacturing to higher education—and move anywhere you want to for work.  That flexibility and freedom was appealing to me.
  • NOT a scam
    - 7/11/2017
    Eric Intihar  User Photo
    Eric Intihar • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Tech Elevator actually lives up to the hype and delivers on their promises, if you are willing to put in the work. The program itself is not easy. There is a ton of complex material to learn in a very short amount of time, but the teachers and staff are very helpful and committed to your success. I have to say I was skeptical of the school. It seemed too good to be true. But I now have a much better job, making much better money, with much more upward mobility for the future. Well worth the cost and time. Would recommend to anyone interested in programming.

• Josh Hanf  User Photo
    Josh Hanf • Robotic Applications Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Imagine realizing your dreams are finally coming to fruition, yet looking back and finding it challenging to believe there could be better days and better people ahead. Tech Elevator will leave you exactly there, if you let it.

In my particular case, I’m 31, I have an associates degree in electronics. I had been working as a technician of sorts for years, a role it would seem i was self-relegated to be for life. I would stay up into the wee hours of the night vacillating amongst dreams of creating the future, and the unyielding afterthoughts that i’d missed said opportunity. Four more years at ohio state? My credits don’t transfer?  How can I possibly explain to people I’m falling off the earth for 4 months?

Like roots gradually upheaving the sidewalk, hope eventually eroded the barriers in my way. I dropped off my deposit and my quixotic adventure was enroute to materializing. I wanted to develop, just the word itself a living illustration of my desires. The pre-work was a nice introduction to what was in store down the road, further feeding my insatiable drive to learn. I submitted my two week notice then prepared, or so I thought, for the forthcoming journey.

The phrase “fake it till you make it” really takes precedence here. You are cast into a new, well, everything. Though all of the students have immensely diverse backgrounds and skill levels coming in, soon enough you’ll find you are all adrift in a bizarre comfort zone-less sea. Each day brings new material, new programs, new software, each building on the last. It’s kind of like building a brick house, you don’t know how to build a house(eh, maybe you do?), you don’t know where to start, but each day you just tote your bricks, one by one. You place it where they tell you, you morter it how you were instructed. You repeat. Over and over and over again having no clue how all these pieces fit together. Then at the end they say “look, you can build a house!”. You would disagree if you were not standing alongside the house you just built. You may have been faking it, but you most certainly find yourself making it.

Oh, and the whole  “carry your bricks” deal, don’t let them pile up. The workload is immense to be sure. Getting behind would be a much more grave issue were it not for the exceptional staff and students at your side. No matter which path (c# or java) you undertake, The staff is always there for you. I recall countless days staying late, and as my instructor was headed out the door, he would do one more round of checks to see if anyone was struggling with anything at all. I couldn’t ask for better instructors, they really do care that you succeed.

Just as crucial are the professional resources that Tech Elevator offered. Do not overlook the pathway program. If Tech Elevator is the doorway to a brighter future as a developer, the pathway program is the key. You can be a truly talented developer, but if you are unable to enunciate your strengths properly, employers may be convinced you have none. I personally had the chance to see why professionalism and communication are so important, even when i thought it didn't matter. Do not overlook the pathway program. For redundancy now. Do. Not. Overlook. The. Pathway. Program. Katie, Terry, and Kalyn were the motor oil here. You may not notice or understand the importance, but things come to a screeching halt without them.

My personal favorite though, are the peers. I can’t remember being in a crowd of people more genuine and modest, all of which possessed the same fervor for learning. Given, this may vary from cohort to cohort, but the people i spoke to daily became friends. I’m not sure about you, but it’s hard to make new friends when you are 31, let alone 28+ of them. Who would have known spending 60 hours a week vociferating obscenities at compiler errors would lead to quality friendships? Seeing the individuality was just amazing, from settlers of catan to smoked meats, people brought themselves in their entirety, and it was a privilege to connect with people at their most honest and exposed level. I will say, tech elevator did an astounding job of finding others who authentically embraced problem solving, proof that they really do filter the passion from the pride.

And now, with the cohort several months past, I’ve found myself truly happy. That quixotic adventure? My reality. I’m developing robots, staging quantum computers for next generation logic gates, Digging my teeth into AI and data modeling, and learning how to take projects from ideas to plans, and plans to products. That’s really what you learn here, how to attack problems without giving up. That’s all a problem is right? a number of unknown steps you can take to get what you want? You know what companies want? People who can tackle their most insurmountable problems without giving up. I chose the java path, and I’m currently utilizing pretty much everything but java, so don’t sweat the path you choose.

I guess the takeaway here is to believe in yourself. Tech elevator isn’t the destination, it’s not your answer, it’s a tool, an elevator. You jump in, work harder than you ever have before, and it takes you up a few floors. Life is made of those things, those floors. It’s always a challenge to go up another. You have every reason, every comforting convenience to incline you to stay where you are. But nothing I’ve ever known elicits stronger emotion than feeling the progress rendered through hard work.

On a final note. when I accepted the job offer designing robotic applications, months ago a certain impossibility, they didn’t even ask for a copy of my tech elevator certificate.

That’s when i knew tech elevator was worth every cent.

Tech Elevator Outcomes

88% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 11% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 47 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Tech Elevator CIRR Report here