software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Akron, Atlanta, Louisville, Minneapolis, Online

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps in Louisville, KY, Minneapolis, MN, and online. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (141) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (45) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    LocationMinneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
  • Java - Online

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Earn coding badges online and learn Java one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online Java badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in Java. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Deposit$125 registration fee
    Tuition PlansPay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    LocationMinneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
  • .NET/C# Online

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Earn coding badges online and learn .NET/C# one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online .NET/C# badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in .NET/C#. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Tuition PlansPay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge

• Keller Martin  User Photo
    Keller Martin • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I decided on doing the Software Guild after almost a year of casually teaching myself to code. Spending 3 months dedicated to learning a new trade with a cohort of motivated colleagues was the best career decision I've ever made. The work was hard, but I put my time in and came out with 3 job offers the week before the program ended. I never imagined that after only three months, I would be in a position to pick the job of my choosing.

I was able to double my salary and enter a new career as a software engineer in 3 months, all thanks to the instructors, employment team, and my classmates at the Software Guild. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Ashley S. • IT Specialist • Graduate

After deciding to change careers to become a software developer, I chose The Software Guild out of my other options because I could attend the course in person, it had a great reputation, and according to the graduate report, the placement rate for graduates was 92.6% for full time employment within 6 months. I knew very little about development before being accepted into the boot camp, mainly just basic HTML and CSS. After taking an aptitude test and being accepted, I spent 8 weeks learning JavaScript and jQuery through a prework course before beginning the Java boot camp in January. Immediately I was struck by the quality of the coursework from the pre-course instructions, and that quality bore out after starting the Java track.

The Java course was taught by an amazing teacher who graduated from MIT and has worked at Microsoft, but she made the work fun and enjoyable. I got a grounding in the principles of object oriented programming, model-view-controller architecture, and the tech stack included Java 8, Maven, and Spring MVC for the first half of the course. The second half introduces SQL databases and Spring Boot to focus on creating data-driven web applications. The pace was consistently fast and I pretty much didn't have a social life over the 12 weeks of the camp, but it was well worth it.

During the second half of the course, I was given career coaching to get me ready for the job hunt after graduating, everything from working with recruiters to how to interview. The Guild also had 2 interview days, one with recruiters, and the other with actual local businesses with job openings. The speed interviews led to a couple of second interviews, and an offer within 2 weeks of graduating. In my current job, I have a deep appreciation for how the coursework prepared me for Java programming and that the pace from the camp has also made it easier for me to learn and adapt to the projects quickly. Overall, I can't recommend the Guild enough for anyone considering becoming a software developer.

• Erin Green • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

My background: I had basically zero experience coding, other than a small amount of self-teaching on my own time for a couple months before discovering the bootcamp online. My background is in Biology, so not AT ALL related. This was a complete 180 degree career change for me.

The Software Guild is amazing and they really have this all figured out. David was our Java instructor and he was incredibly knowledgeable. He spent a ton of his time outside of class to answer any questions we had. I cannot express how hard-working he is and dedicated to getting us all through the program, whatever it took. If we were willing to put in the time and effort he would go above and beyond to provide any help we needed.

If you are going to do this you REALLY need to put in the work, because if you don't, it shows. You cannot coast through it. We lost 5 out of our original 14 throughout the course of the program, mostly because people were not able to meet a couple of the hard deadlines that were set for finishing thier projects. Out of the 9 that made it to the end, only 2 of us finished all of our projects by the last day of class, so many people needed extensions. Those that got extensions have had a harder time finding jobs because they first need to focus on finishing the course right now, rather than spending all of their energy on their job search. It is important that you are able to drop any distractions for these 12 weeks, because staying up to speed is paramount to your success. Many people were not able to do it, but if you are able to get through, it will be worth it, trust me.

Throughout the program, Kipp, the employer network manager, goes above and beyond to make sure people get jobs. He is incredibly knowledgeable about resumes, working with recruiters, networking, etc. and he does quite a few presentations and one-on-one meetings to prepare us for success in our job search. If you follow his steps you will get a job! I was able to find one within about a week and a half of graduating thanks to his help navigating. It was the speed interviews that ended up getting me most of my leads for interviews, and ultimately my job after the program, so I recommend taking those very seriously.

My one qualm is that I wish the bootcamp were actually 16 weeks instead of 12. It all worked out well in the end and I learned an INSANE amount in 12 weeks, but I think having an extra few weeks to dive even deeper into some of the topics would be helpful. I felt that a few things slipped through the cracks a bit and would have required more time to truly gain an understanding.

All in all, this was one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. I do not regret my decision to quit my decent job in a veterinary lab to make this huge life change. It may be a lot of money, but if you can swing it I recommend making this investment in yourself. 100% worth it!

• Richard • Junior Developer .Net • Graduate

The Software Guild is a good school.

While the nature of code camps may prevent them from being able to dive into some topics in as much depth as a college, the work and practice itself will ensure you thoroughly understand what you've learned.

In terms of staff everyone, not just the teachers, were incredibly kind and helpful at all times. They went out of their way to help students whether it came to coursework or job assistance.

The main warning I'd have is that the course itself is very challenging. The time and effort required will demand a lot of you. So, as a note, make sure you are ready to sacrifice any regular plans you have if you sign up.

Overall, it is worth it and I'd certainly highly recommend it.

• Software Guild Java
    - 10/12/2018
    Jared • Java Software Developer • Graduate

My experience at the Software Guild was nothing but positive. The instructor (Kyle) was engaging, knowlegeable, and brought real-world industry experience into the classroom. The employment specialist (Kip) also brings ample experience as a successful recruiter to his role. In addition to preparing you to market yourself to get a job after graduation, he set up several pre-graduation interviews with established companies in the region: I was offered, and accepted a job prior to graduating, as did over half of my class. After working as a software developer for 3+ months, I feel adequately prepared by the software guild to meet expectations in my job.

• Becky Sargent • Software Developer • Graduate

Intense program, with great teachers that makes you 100% prepared for a job as a software developer.

• Graduate
    - 12/4/2017
    Jared • IT Specialist • Graduate

I loved every minute of The Software Guild. While the course was very challenging, as advertised, the instructors were extremely helpful and encouraging. The flipped classroom approach was extremely effective, and the instructors answered my many, many questions in a way that took me from confused to competent in no time. I even got a job through one of the interviews that The Guild arranged. 11/10 would recommend.

• John • Software Developer • Graduate

As a Software Guild (GoForCode - Java Full Stack) graduate, I look fondly back at my experience while in the program.   Prepare to be fully immersed in the program, as you will not only be learning during class time, but also after class and on the weekends too.   The instructors are very knowledgeable and are able to answer your questions any time.   You are also supported by Slack chat rooms where other instructors will be there to help you out too.   While the course is not easy and is very demanding, you'll be proud that you completed the course and will be qualified to work as a Jr. level software developer.   It defintely helped me to further my career at my current job and I look forward to what might happen after I get a year of coding under my belt.  The possibilities are endless!

• Developer
    - 12/2/2017
    Swathi Satty • Graduate

Went into the course with programming knowledge in C++ but not much in Java. This course is very fast paced but equally interactive so you're always actively developing as you're learning, which I find to be the best approach to learn material of this caliber. The after hours were very helpful as well; helped greatly with lab work and any clarifications I needed from the cirriculum. Overall, a worthwhile experience for a relatively low price!

• David Crockett • Software Developer • Graduate

I don't typically leave reviews, but I feel like this place deserves one. It is truly amazing. The instructors are very knowledgable, Corbin alone had over 15 years of coding experience. The curriculum is mainly videos and reading, along with some exercises. You're expected to come to class with any questions from the lessons you studied the night before. This is called a flipped classroom, and it's fairly effective. The morning consists of questions, and the afternoon you're expected to code and work on exercises before heading home.

It is a lot of work, there's no doubt about it. But it is manageable. You need to come here with the mindset that this will take your full attention every single day. Over the weekend you'll be assigned various coding projects. You're expected to turn this in Monday for code review. The projects can be tricky, especially when you're just learning the concepts, but it teaches you some valuable lessons. You must be able to learn on your own. That isn't to say the instructors won't help you if you need it, but you will be mainly relying on yourself to figure out problems.The only issue I really had with the program were the quizzes. They were pretty atrocious, but they aren't counted towards your grade, plus I think they're getting revamped soon.

Anyways, overall it was a fantastic experience. And yes, I actually got a job thanks to the Software Guild. So it's a success, and if you're thinking about attending but aren't sure it works, use me as proof. I had absolutely no knowledge of coding before I graduated. Even after graduation you can keep in touch with classmates and instructors via Slack, they're always available if you need help. Great job Software Guild, keep up the good work.

• Software Developer
    William • Software Developer • Graduate

Great curriculum, learned a great deal about development.  They prepare you well to enter the work force as a developer in a short period of time.  The employer network is very strong and I was able to find work within 90 days of graduation.  The Instructors are extrememly hands on and helpful explaining problems and how you might solve them.  I had a very positive experience with the Software Guild and feel it was well worth the investment.

• Edgar Daniel L. Moso • Graduate

My time in the Software Guild has been a really great experience. I enrolled on the Java Full-Stack Web development side of the bootcamp because I wanted to know more about Java and what I can do with it. I really don't have anything bad to say about the bootcamp because in my opinion everything was really great. I met a lot of knowledgeable, great people with different backgrounds and I was able to learn and develop both in social and technical aspect of things. My instructor was great too (Austyn Hill). Like all the instructors in the SG, she was knowledgeable on the discipline, caring, and really helpful. She has continued to do so, even after the bootcamp. Everything about the bootcamp prepares you what's out there and how to tackle it, regarding Software Development, or anything of the sort.

• Heather Prokasky • Application Engineer • Graduate

I went to the Software Guild in Minneapolis.  I was completely new to programming and am married to a 15+ year programming. I have always been techie, but had not done any programming since I was a kid with my Apple II+.

I was blown away by what I learned at The Software Guild.  It was so much more indepth than I expected.  I thought I was just going to learn Java, but we learned HTML, CSS, SQL and Java as well as how everything works from A to Z.  We learned about things like MVC, AJAX, JSON, Javascript and security. We created console applications, mvc applications, web applications and database applications.  It is not a course where you just read a book and listen to a lecture.  There are indepth assignments that are the practical application of the material covered.

We worked on individual and groups projects, because that is how programming is in the real world.  I appreciated that they emphasized how important testing is because testing is necessary in the real world. My husband was constantly amazed at how comprehensive the course was and how fast we went through it.

The teachers were outstanding and were always available to help.  There were in person and online resources to assist you in addition to the instructors.  Classmates were also a great reource.  The instructors were relatable and very knowledgable and fun!

The Software Guild also has resources and guidance for finding your career after bootcamp. They provided resume writing and review, practice interviews and speed interviews.  About 1/2 of our class got positions from the speed interviews and I had a position within a few weeks of completing the bootcamp.

I won't lie, the bootcamp is intense (60-70 hours a week) and can feel overwhelming due to the rapid pace, but the resources are there to help you out and you can do it.  If I can do it anyone can.

• Keep your money
    Richard Kuhn • Student
    I attended the very first cohort of The Software Guild's Java program in Minneapolis.  It was a complete and total waste of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS that I can never get back.

That class went for 12 weeks. 8 hours a day. 5 days a week.  I learned basic JAVA, and absolutely no one cares.

In case you're bad at math, that's 480 hours of "instruction", sitting in a classroom with an instructor who also had no idea what he was doing.  I would say that 30% of my time there was spent watching my instructor trying to figure out how to use the software that he was supposed to be teaching us with.

I have since learned more about Java online, for free, utilizing Code Academy and Udemy.  All you have to do is apply those same hours to an online course, and you can save yourself TEN  THOUSAND DOLLARS.

There was no instruction at all about Spring, or code review.  Every interview I had after that class was an embarrassment.  I had absolutely no idea how to be valuable in the workforce.  I have since self-taught myself in multiple aspects of coding, but nothing that came from that class was worth one penny.  Nothing from that class contained even a hint of value.

If you're reading this, do yourself a favor.  Learn basic Java online.  For free.  And then put together a portfolio of projects that you can show what you did, and why you did it.  No one who does any hiring cares one bit about this rip-off class.  Show your skills and your thought process in an interview, and you can move forward.  This class is like going to DeVry.  Worthless.

And then take your TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, and invest it wisely.  Your payoff will be much better
    Response From: Erin Frazier of Software Guild
    Title: Director of Operations
    Tuesday, Dec 05 2017
    Thank you for your feedback. We regret that your experience did not meet your expectations. We do take all reviews seriously and continually look for opportunities to improve the learning experience at The Software Guild and ultimately the outcomes of our students.

We understand your frustration, however all program assignments are code reviewed, and we encourage students to ask questions and get clarification if they are ever concerned.

The Software Guild has a wealth of resources available to anyone who takes our program including extensive support for graduates who may struggle to find employment. These include additional time and practice with interviewing techniques, resume reviews, additional project work to make graduates more comfortable with their skills and fill out their code portfolio, to even a free repeat of the whole program if it is deemed necessary.

These resources are still available to you, if you choose to use them, please reach out to Erin Frazier at efrazier@thesoftwareguild.com or your Employer Network Manager directly to reengage. I strongly encourage you to take advantage of them if you are still looking for work.
  • Java Apprentice
    Brandon Kervin • Student

The Software Guild is a fast paced and rewarding program. In the short 3 months that you have classes for, you learn all the fundementals of Java or C# along with popular frameworks like Spring and jQuery.

The first two weeks of the course introduces the basics of object-oriented programming and the instructors do a very good job of making sure that you are up to pace.

The next month of the course speeds up quite a bit and you begin to learn a lot about building full-scale console applications using Tiered Application Design and the MVC model along with setting up file persistence.

Passing the halfway point of the class, you begin to start tying Spring into your previous projects and build full-scale web applications. The course begins to introduce MySQL to save data and create database tables. You also get introduced to frontend design a little bit with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery and Bootstrap. With all of this going on, you also get to work on your resume and interviewing skills 1on1 with the employing manager at the Guild.

Towards the end of the course, a speed interview day comes up where plenty of employers come in over two days and you get an opportunity to get hired by the time of graduation.

Throughout the 3 months, you work with very interactive instructors that have a passion for programming and will go the extra mile to make sure that you understand what is going on. They are constantly learning the latest technologies and will introduce them to the class whenever there is time to do so. All in all, this course is a great opportunity for anyone that is looking to break into the IT industry as quick as possible while being very confident in their abilities to be a successfull worker.

• Kyle Malone • Software Engineer • Graduate

My personal experience with The Software Guild: Louisville was an extremely pleasant and successful one! There is a short period leading up to the cohort where you will have to complete tasks that should prepare you for some portions of the actual course, and give you an idea of if it's really something that you're interested in. This portion for me mostly involved using HTML and Javascript to create simple webpages. While we didn't get to web design until late in the cohort, it was definitely useful learning experience that stuck with me until I needed it again.

The cohort itself begins at a relatively comfortable pace, spending the 8 hour day getting familiar with the very fundamental aspects of the language and programming in general. There are basic exercises that we worked through that I would compare to workbook assignments in school. Somewhat repetitive, but really solidified the knowledge and gave us a good leg to stand on throughout the rest of the course. It should be noted that a couple of students dropped out during this introductory part of the course, as they realized that the pacing was a bit too much for them. I think where myself and the others had an advantage was from doing independent learning prior to the guild so that the skills we were working on weren't entirely foreign.

The rest of the 3 month course was divided up into a few different projects that continuously expand on our previous skills, and each one presented a new challenge. I was later able to put these projects on my resume, as they clearly defined specific skills that I used to complete them. If any of us ever got ahead enough, the instructor would give us additional work to do in the form of refactoring our code or adding more functionality to our projects. If we ever got stuck, the instructor was very easy to approach and spent one on one time with us until we felt we were at a place where we could proceed. The small class size (which continued to grow smaller as the course progressed, it is a bootcamp after all!) really helped to allow us each to have plenty of time with the instructor.

When it came time to start looking for positions, I had an opportunity arise about a month before the course was scheduled to end. The Software Guild provided lots of helpful resources for me to really nail my phone interview, and was constantly following up to check on my progress. I and 3 of my classmates each had a job nailed down before the course was even over!

The best thing about the Guild for me was that I never felt overwhelmed at any point time-wise. I was still able to separate my school life and class life, and could have easily worked a part time job during the cohort had I wished to do so. Again, I spent plenty of time researching and learning on my own before the Guild started, so I was definitely at an advantage, and would recommend this approach to anyone else considering a bootcamp.

I took the C#/.NET course from the Guild, but actually ended up taking a Java position. The Software Guild allowed me to access all of the Java course materials in order to help me get acclimated. I've now been at my job for about 7 months and although I don't have all of the formal knowledge for every task I am assigned, the Software Guild prepared me enough to be able to problem solve and learn what I need to in order to be an efficient worker and an asset to my team. If you are considering taking a bootcamp and you are near one of the Software Guild locations, I highly recommend it!

• Greg Tiu • SQL Developer • Graduate

I was unhappy with the jobs I held prior and wanted to pursue something that I enjoyed. However, I did not have any skills that stood out on my resume to get to where I wanted to go. I took a risk and signed up for the Software Guild. Previously, I always thought programming was a difficult field where only top students could be succesful. I did not pursue CS in college because of this thought. Reading online that people were taking these bootcamps and getting jobs shortly after three months of training, I decided to go for it.

It was a lot of hard work and late nights but it was totally worth it. I found myself really enjoying the projects, when I got something to work it was like solving a puzzle in a video game. I was able to land a job after graduating due to SG having a really great Career Counselor. He was able to get a lot of companies to come in and interview all of us on multiple occasions. I landed more interviews within the last month of the cohort than I had ever had in my whole life. My salary is the highest I have ever had and I enjoy coming to work and working on projects.

I would highly recommend shadowing a class at SG if you are curious. I know a lot of my other friends that I made there would also approve of their experience. If you intend to go to the SG, my tip of advide is be prepared to put in a ton of hours outside class.

• Jessica • Graduate

Deciding to quit my job (that I disliked) and go back to school full time or more like double time was still the best decision I made. I originally applied for an earlier cohort but little did I know, the curriculum was very intense and very fast. There were just a few items that I did not fully comprehend but it was significant enough to not be able to move on. For a few weeks, I studied Java and finally understood the curriculum a bit better. I finished the program in the second attempt and now have a fantastic dream job.

When I tell people that I went to a coding bootcamp, they think it is just a simple online course with a printable certificate. When I told them how hard it was, they were in awe. After being employed and looking back at the curriculum, they are very much on par with what is necessary to have a job as a developer. Not just the languages made you feel prepared, but they also introduced us to certain ways of testing, text editors that are used in professional environments, JIRA, and using repositories. During my employee orientation, I was surrounded by new STEM grads and they did not know anything about coding and were going to have jobs in IT. Being in the program definitely made me realize how far I can push myself to get something accomplished and also just being able to learn something so foreign in a small timeframe. We were in a classroom for 40 hours a week and on top of that about 20-30+ hours of working on projects and learning the material that is going to be taught the next day. So yes, that is a well spent time commitment.

The instructors were very accommodating and quite approachable. Having a classroom be a max size of 18, it felt like the program was more individualized and they cared about each individual student and their progress. Even after graduating they are very helpful with resources. The employment manager has quite a large network of employers so he followed up with every student on their job search every 2 weeks after graduating. I checked out another bootcamp, called Prime Digital Academy but the Software Guild stood out to me. When I went to Prime’s open house, alumni did not emphasize on the curriculum. Instead they spoke about how they learn about communicating effectively. When I spoke to a recruiter at the Guild, she told me “we will teach you to code” and those few words sold me to the program and they sure did!

If I had to go back and do something again, I would have liked to have been told to at least look at the Java language before attending the program. Even though I was already admitted, there was a gap of time where I was waiting for class to start and I could have looked at terms or tutorials online. I do not think that it would have been so foreign if I studied beforehand.

If I had to recommend someone to attend a bootcamp, I would say that someone who just finished high school would not be a great fit. The program is very intense and if they are not motivated to attend college, then I do not think they would be motivated enough to finish the full-time program. It was even more difficult than finishing a bachelor’s degree. Most the students are in their 20s and above.

When getting employed, the statistics are correct for the program but when you are the one experiencing the difficulty of getting your first coding job, it gets frustrating. My cohort ended at the end of July 2017 and I got my offer call in mid to late September. Many people try to go through staffing agencies but entry level developer roles are very hard to come by. Even if the position says 1-2 years of experience, they will not submit your resume because you have no previous coding experience. The employment manager told me that it is not just your background but it also has to be a good match overall (culture fit and technical skills). Luckily, I managed to get hired directly through my employer.

So, to put it simply, I would 100% recommend attending a coding bootcamp and particularly, the Software Guild. Everyone just needs to understand and think about all the variables that could slow you down and if you

• Paul • Software Developer • Graduate

Long story short:

My career path had gotten stale, and it was time for a change.  I'd always had an interest in techonology but figured that since my traditional degree wasn't in Computer Science that those doors were probably closed.  I was mistaken.

Attended the C# Akron cohort in Fall of 2015.  If you've got some aptitude and are ready to really dedicate yourself to heads-down hard work, you'll come out the other side a changed person ready to get to work in the software development industry.

The instructors were excellent from day one, professionals in the industry with a real passion for imparting that knowledge on their students.  This was not a program for the faint of heart -- I've never learned so much in a shorter period of time, but there was always a helping hand waiting when you needed one.

I've been employed in the industry now for over two years, and I've got the folks down at the guild to thank for it.  Don't bother if you're not ready for a serious challenge.  But if you are -- go for it.  Good luck!

• Chaya Sulman • Software Developer • Graduate

I entered The Software Guild having taken some computer science coursework in college and having messed around on my own a lot.  Other people in my cohort had zero experience.  The amazing thing is, we all got so much from the course.  The combination of individual attention (mentors avaiable basically around the clock) and comprehensive course material meant that they received the support they needed as newbies and I was able to go a little beyond.

It is an intense experience, with about 40 hours a week in the classroom and another 40 on your own - but worth every minute and penny.  I have never had an easier job search (multiple offers within 10 days of starting my search), and I have a Guild Community for life.

• Tanner • QA Automation Engineer • Graduate

I attended the Software Guild having no prior coding experience other than taking a few Code Academy courses. I found it difficult to come in with such minimal experience and felt that a number of my classmates were more prepared for the work. I recommend taking a Udemy course on your chosen language prior to attending if you are worried about not being prepared. My classmates and teachers were more than willing to help, however, providing a good learning atmosphere where I felt ok making lots of mistakes.

I found the curriculum to be strong for the first half of the course when we were learning basic coding for console applications, and weaker in the second half learning web applications. The Software Guild did an excellent job preparing students for the job market, with the exception of not providing enough technical interview practice. I landed a good job in QA with a large company that hires a lot of Software Guild graduates, thanks to the Guild's networking event.

Overall the Software Guild was a good experience and enabled me to completely change careers.

• Jocelyn • Graduate

The experience at the Software Guild was great. I learned a TON and the staff was great. Even after my completion of the program they were willing to assist whether it be with a technical question for a project or in looking for employment.

• Ovidiu Simon • Graduate

I had a great time learning how to code at The Software Guild. The instructor was very good and helpful, and the Employee Network Manager (the guy helping you to get a job) was even more helpful, especially since he kept in touch long after I finished the class!

• Michael Johnson • Software Developer • Graduate

I cannot speak highly enough of the training and support I received from The Software Guild. Aside from the rigorous and top-notch training, this bootcamp is like an incredibly tight-knit family--every member of which really wants you to succeed. It was a very challenging program and with that comes mental and physical exhaustion, but I was prepared for coding in the real world and still have support and answers from the crew at Software Guild when I need them. My instructor was invested in my success and encouraged us all when the challenges of the program mounted along the way. As the title says, I have never doubted my choice to attend Software Guild and would recommend it to anyone.

• Rebecca • Software Developer • Graduate

My Story: I quit my job as a Registered Nurse to attend the Software Guild in Minneapolis - Summer 2017 Java cohort. I had little knowledge of programming, besides a couple of classes in college and some HTML/CSS knowledge. Within a 5 weeks of graduation I had three interviews for development positions and started my first job in Software Development - an incredible career change in about five months.

Pros: First of all, The Software Guild has a free, online pre-work course covering HTML, CSS, and some Javascript. This course is a good reflection on whether Software Development is something you might enjoy. It also helps you review (or learn) some of the more simple concepts that the curriculum builds upon, so you can hit the ground running once the bootcamp begins.

Secondly, the curriculum is relevant. I looked into several bootcamps when beginning this process, and the Senior Software Developers that I knew at the time recommended this bootcamp over others, based on the curriculum.

Finally, the staff is really dedicated to make sure your job search goes as well as it can after graduation. Not only do they set you up with speed interviews with companies in the area, but they have staff dedicated to improving your resume and coaching you on how to best get your resume out there and noticed. Not all companies are going to appreciate the bootcamp experience, but The Software Guild has created a good name for itself in the Minneapolis tech scene.

Cons: The curriculum isn't perfect - there are sections that could use improvement, but there are also sections that were great. You will need to do outside research to fully understand some sections, but that is to be expected when learning most things! Also, the instructors and employees are continually responding to student feedback to improve the curriculum.

Overall, I do not regret for a second my decision to attend The Software Guild. The people were fanstastic and the experiecne was life changing.

• Darren Lage • Graduate

I had been trying to learn software development on my own and youtube just wasn't cutting it. I had heard about a free program in town that teaches software development and helps you land a job. The only problem was the incredibly long waiting list and you only met in the class once a week. But right next door was The Software Guild, an everyday for 3 month program that took you from knowing nothing about coding to helping you land your first job! At the time, the price seemed to be a lot but the starting salary for entry-level developers in my field was 5-6x more than the price of the school! I learned a lot of great things and met some great people!

Pro's :
          - A small class size for individualized help
          - Great resources for out of the classroom learning
          - Becoming friends with your classmates and helping each other solve problems
          -Great atmosphere, i never felt like i was going to be judged on my coding ability if it wasn't up to speed with everyone else

Con's:
          -Extremely difficult to work while going to school, make sure you have support while attending.
          -The curriculum moves very fast, you will need to keep up with all of the information in front of you
          -Getting to class by 9am.... I am not a morning person

Overall I had an amazing time and I would go back again if I could! Whenever i talk to someone who is interested in software development, I recommend The Software Guild every single time!!

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.