skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Mike • Student
    I am currently enrolled in the November 2016 Frontend Development blueprint and have to say, after close to a month of working in it daily, I'm disappointed enough to cancel. This review will cover why based on my experience - though it of course may be different for everyone.

There's a lot of stuff in both HTML and CSS the instructor breezed over. Things are often not explained well and worded poorly - then you're quizzed on it. Entire areas of HTML that anyone who uses the code should know are skipped. In my experience, the community "feature" is almost nonexistent - I don't know anyone in the course and very few people ask questions in the Google Groups. The whole experience is awkward and the office hour I attended was pretty useless.

Plus, it's a lot of money to pay $399 for this course; there are tons of free and cheap resources elsewhere that go into the detail I'm looking for. I just bought everything the Front End course offered, plus a lot more programming languages on Udemy for $13. There are even free apps that are just as useful.

They said 1-2 hours a day but the reality is it's going to take several more hours to really maximize this course.

While I like Skillcrush's broad goal to get more women coding, it's not what I am looking for.
  • Kim • Art Director

I love this class! I'm also enrolled in the Freelance Wordpress Class and that is good too. The courses are broken down into nice little bit sized chunks, and then you're given time to practice. Adda cuts right to what is important. All the course material is supported with wonderful papers on running a business, updating your resume, getting ready for a tech interview. I've looked into many courses, and this is by far, my favorite.

• fast paces learning
    - 11/18/2016
    Zoe • Student

i started the wordpress bootcamp with ZERO experience, and am amazed that two weeks in - im already farmiliar with the lingo and the language. the classes are very thorough, and very generous - often i find myself asking a question, only to have it exactly answered in the next slide. highly recommend to anyone who thinks they *might* be interested in web design/coding.

• Web Development
    - 11/17/2016
    Dani • Student

Love this course! Unlike other free services I've tried, the instructor really improve the course. The only thing I would ask for is a bit more practice of each new item, but the old lessons are always available to return to.

• Elise B. • Student

I always struggled with the idea that I couldn't possibly code. I've watched my husband do it for years now and his code felt foreign to me. The thing is, it's not all that foreign. It's quite the opposite and Skillcrush does an excellent job showing you just how simple it can be.

Their coursework is simple and easy to follow. You can take it day by day or push forward at your own pace. The flexibility is amazing and makes it possible for ANYONE to do. The community is very supportive and you can get help when needed.

It's well worth the price if you're looking to expand your horizon.

• Skillcrush Review
    - 11/17/2016
    Lauren • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Skillcrush WordPress Bootcamp.  It's curriculum combines three great BluePrints into one (Front-End Developer, WordPress and Visual Designer).  I'm in the Front-End Developer segment of the class right now and my comments are:  The layout is great.  You are not given an overwhelming amount of information at once that scares you; it is paced just right-you will learn the basics via a video and then you will review it right away and put it to use.  It is interactive so you can grasp the concepts and feel confident in what you are learing.  The team is responsive to all questions. I am very happy with the program so far and excited to continue learning and advancing my skills.  I do not have any formal training in coding.  I used to code my myspace when i was younger and that has helped me understand a lot of the front-end developer blueprint but I also think this program is structured so that any skill level even someone with no experience will be able to follow and understand.

• Gabriella

Skillcrush's Web Development and Frontend development courses are absolutely fantastic! I really love the way that the workload intersperces videos, actual coding work and backgroud knowledge about the program. I absolutely love all of the knowledge I've gained and it's been a super experience. I'm only in the first couple days so far - but I can't wait for more!

Can't wait for the program to continue onward!

• Heather • Media Library Coordinator • Student

I found Skillcrush randomly while browsing through LinkedIn and Facebook, so I decided to investigate for further information. I signed up for the free 10-day bootcamp, which was terrific and really helped explain some of the more complicated languages like Ruby and Python. I signed up for the Web Developer Blueprint over the summer, but have yet to complete it. I became frustrated with the JavaScript, so I took a break and revisited it when I received an email stating that the course layout would be changing, and I would receive it for free. The updated JS course was a lot more modified, and taught you how to write pseudocode, which would be used in projects. I also have yet to finish the Ruby class, I know it's supposed to be a pretty simple language but I don't come from a tech background. Now that I feel a lot more confident with JS and jQuery, I can finally go back to Ruby.

I also decided to sign up for the Web Designer course, and unfortunately I discovered towards the last week that Photoshop Elements (which I installed on my computer quite awhile ago) is not the same as Photoshop, so following the lessons would be difficult unless I download the free trial (I can't afford to buy the program). In addition, I already made it through 90% of the HTML/CSS course the first time around but got hung up on the website launch. At least there isn't too much of that left for me to complete though!

Aside from some setbacks, I've enjoyed Skillcrush and will feel a lot better once I actually complete the blueprints. My only real complaint is that there is no job placement or job assistance. I understand they are a startup, and I know it's difficult to place absolute beginners into positions but perhaps for the future they can incorporate it into their repertoire! Even though I am still a total beginner, I have reached out to the staff about positions that only require HTML/CSS knowledge, because I'm 100% serious about breaking into the tech world, and they've been mostly helpful with this, too! Hopefully, I can come back sometime and tell them "I landed a job, and it only requires HTML/CSS skills! Thanks!"

• Megan

I recently finished the WordPress Developer Blueprint. Before I started, I had very little knowledge of WordPress. I learned a lot in the class and felt confident enough to take on a client project seperate from the class.

The class is a really good introduction to WordPress and does provide some instruction on intermediate concepts. They can't teach you everything in such a short time span, but the concepts you learn will set you up to tackle many client requests and give you the tools to research things you haven't heard of.

The class community using Google Groups is also a great asset. Anytime I had a question, it was answered fully and very quickly. It seemed to be the same for others and those discussion threads were great for expanding on the class information.

Video discussions that focused on career advice were also helpful and very encouraging to someone who is interested in freelancing, starting a business, or changing careers.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I am starting another Blueprint next week.

• Chelli • Wardrobe Stylist • Student

I'm taking the Freelance Wordpress Developer Blueprint!

I'm only about 1 month in to my course and I was already able to get a job of my DREAMS working REMOTELY! The Skillcrush resources REALLY helped chase this opportunity. I couldn’t be more overjoyed receiving something I have wanted for SO long. The new tech skills I’m learning made me a much more competitive candidate & I felt so much more prepared for my interviews after checking out the Remote Interview Guide & the other career resources.

I can tell that tech skills really set my application apart by a long shot and allows me many options for growth in the company, even though my position is not tech related. I felt confident, qualified, and fearless while interviewing and I totally crushed it!

Skillcrush makes it easy and fun to learn tech and the community is incredibly supportive. The classes are engaging and the material is broken down in a way that is encouraging yet challenging. I appreciate that Skillcrush has so much info that will GENUINELY help you towards your dream career, whatever that may be. I'm excited to see where I'm able to take myself next! Thanks Skillcrush :-)

• Jennifer Keller • Teleservices Representative • Graduate

I began the Freelance Web Design blueprint series in September and have already learned so much more and built upon what I learned in Codecademy, and the 4 week intro classes I took through Girl Develop It. The blueprint I'm in is 3 weeks learning ux- wireframes, grid systems, typefaces, photoshop, then 3 weeks in HTML and CSS and how to put it into practice to build a portfolio site, followed by the final work of how to build and market yourself as a freelancer. The curriculum is laid out in a series of videos, course materials, and exercises. The feedback from classmates in the google group is excellent also, providing assistance and encouragement. It is challenging work sometimes, but all online so I can spend as much time as I want reviewing sticky concepts. And it's FUN!

• WordPress Bootcamp
    - 10/25/2016
    Katie • Aviation Support System Technician • Student

I am enrolled in the WordPress Bootcamp which includes three blueprints: Front End Developer, WordPress Developer and Visual Designer. I am currently working my way through the first blueprint, Front End Developer. I find the curriculum engaging and motivating. The lessons are long enough that it keeps your attention and engaged, but short and flexible enough to work with someone that has a full schedule already. My only complaint would be showing an example on every exercise on what a finished project looks like. There are discussion boards that you can ask for help and get pretty fast responses as well. I hope I can transition what I learn here into a new and exciting career!