skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is an online bootcamp that offers 12-week web design and web development courses called Skillcrush Blueprints. Wanting to teach students digital skills to kickstart their career, Skillcrush provides their "Blueprint," which is a step-by-step guide preparing students for the career they desire. Students engage in learning concrete technical skills while also creating a portfolio of real projects. These 3-month blueprints are online, but offer blocks of office hours, and access to classmates, instructors, and career coaches to create a structured learning environment.

Expect an email each morning with goals for the day, and students can choose times that work best to interact with mentors and other students. Classes do not require any programming experience, but students should be comfortable with computers and the web. Graduates can expect to cover UX Design, HTML/CSS, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, Wordpress, and Ruby.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (330) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (9) articles about Skillcrush →
  • Break Into Tech Blueprint

Rolling Start Date
    Did you look through our Blueprints and think “I want to learn it ALL”? The Break Into Tech Blueprint gives you exactly that. This course covers ALL of the lessons from our signature Blueprints and you’ll work with a career counselor to design a custom learning program to prepare you for an amazing and rewarding career. This one-of-a-kind digital skill training program will teach you all the core skills every aspiring technologist needs to know and make sure you’re set up for success in the flexible, creative, and lucrative career of your dreams.
    Make 12 monthly payments of $159 or one payment of $1599
    Refund / Guarantee
    We’re so confident that you will love this program that if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 30 days, we will refund your money.
    This blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
  • Digital Marketer Blueprint

$549
    Digital marketers spend their days understanding the needs of their target audience, translating business goals into creative online marketing campaigns, and staying on top of digital media trends. You'll learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO), social media, content, email marketing, paid ads, data analytics and reporting, and much more.
    Refund / Guarantee
    This blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero coding experience. You just need to have a basic understanding of computers and be able to upload and download files.
  • Front End Developer Blueprint

$549
    Are you ready to tap into one of the fastest growing, highest paying, and most in-demand careers in tech? Are you tired of making less than everyone else at your company when you know you’re just as smart? Get the most lucrative and versatile digital skills out there in the Front End Developer Blueprint. You’ll learn how to build gorgeous, interactive websites that work perfectly on every device and mobile phone you can think of. With an explosive job market, killer salary, and tons of growth opportunities, front end development is one of the hottest jobs in tech!
    3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
  • Front End Developer + ReactJS Blueprint

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    $699
    Front end developers use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (including libraries like React) to transform static website designs into rich, interactive, multimedia web experiences. ALL front end developers work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but they don’t all know React JS. And since React JS is quickly becoming one of the most in-demand front end development skills, knowing it will give you an important leg up in your job search!
    Make 4 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $699
  • User Experience Design Blueprint

Design
    $549
    User experience designers are innovative explorers who research, improve, and test websites and apps. They create delightful digital experiences that keep people coming back for more. If you love figuring out how things work and what makes people tick, look no further than User Experience design—it’s the tech industry’s best-kept secret for career changers. You'll learn the exact tools and best practices that designers use to discover and then describe what their customers want, how to create a professional website prototype: a wireframe, user testing and iterating on your design, and more! By the end of this Blueprint, you’ll have completed a start-to-finish user experience design project
    Refund / Guarantee
    This blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
  • Visual Designer Blueprint

$549
    Visual designers are the graphic designers of the digital world we live in, and they play a crucial role in designing the online experiences we interact with every day. If you’re an imaginative, creative, visual person and love sketching, drawing, pairing colors, illustrating, and calligraphy (or you just have a history with coloring books and macaroni necklaces), you’re going to love working in visual design. This course will prepare you for a career designing sites, apps, or ANYTHING you see online—and give you the tools to communicate with the development teams who will bring your designs to life.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Comfort with HTML & CSS is required for this course.
  • Web Designer Blueprint

HTML, Git, Design, CSS
    $549
    Web designers are innovative chameleons who also code the websites they design! As digital artisans who use multiple skills to bring their creations to life, they understand what’s needed to make a website functional, appealing, and easy to use. The good news is that web design is easy to learn and great for beginners. In this online course you will learn all of the skills you need to become a web designer.
  • Web Developer Blueprint

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Ruby
    $549
    Web developers solve problems every day by coding websites and web applications. Web developers are responsible for creating the web apps you use every day, from Gmail to Instagram! If you’re a builder AND love to solve problems with creative solutions, web development is right up your alley. Now you just need to learn the basic building blocks of the web and programming fundamentals! By the end of this Blueprint, you will have learned everything you need to create a hand-coded website and web application including HTML & CSS, JavaScript & jQuery, version control, programming fundamentals, and web application.
  • Wordpress Developer Blueprint

Git, PHP, Mobile, Wordpress
    $549
    WordPress developers have the most versatile skill set in the world: Approximately 60 million websites run on WordPress! This course will teach you the tools to build beautiful, functional, and totally unique websites—and start making serious money.
    Refund / Guarantee
    A solid understanding of HTML & CSS is required for this course.
    Interview

As someone with a creative background, but no experience designing for the web, this course was amazing. In 3 months, I learned an incredible amount just taking the hour long classes every day (or when I could get to them, they don't expire). The teachers are friendly, knowledgable, and provide really constructive feedback. You also get valuable feedback and inspiration from other students via the Hang Out sessions and in the Google Groups sessions. I feel confident in applying my new skills in a new career, and speaking of new career, not only did the Skillcrush team teach me how to design for web (and a bit of print as well, which I already had background in, but is good if you don't), they provide you with resources on how to write cover letters, resumes and - drumroll please - where to find an actual job with links to actual job posting sites for Tech jobs. My only complaint is that the Google Hang Out sessions fill up incredibly fast and it was hard to snag a time that worked for me. I'm only removing one star on Overall Experience for that reason.

• Lynn • Account Specialist • Student

I previously took the Web Development blueprint (see my review below), and I came back to Skillcrush for the Ruby on Rails blueprint.  I liked working with Ruby but really wasn't comfortable with it from the short course as part of my first blueprint.  So, I wanted to explore it more in depth.  This is a new blueprint that Skillcrush is doing, so they are still accepting feedback and ironing out some kinks in the curriculum.  For instance, we are in the first month of three months total, and this first month-long class was easy to understand up until the final couple of days.  We had to push our app to Sinatra, and there was very little guidance on that.  Fortunately, the TA is available to assist and will help to debug your code and sort things out.  However, I thought it was faster to ask developers on Twitter for assistance and fork my GitHub repository for quicker problem solving.

FYI: Skillcrush does not offer job assistance, so I gave that a "1" rating.

• Waste of time
    - 3/3/2015
    Zubin

I took the Skillcrush Web Developer course. It has 3 units: HTML/CSS, Javascript & JQuery, and Ruby. Before I started the HTML unit, I read HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites by Jon Duckett. I started the unit and I breezed through it weeks ahead of schedule.

I then started the Javascript unit and I was so confused. I tried getting assistance from fellow student, the instructor, and rereading the course material. Nothing helped. Then I started reading  JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development by the same author. I was amazed at how much more I understood about Javascript from 1 chapter than I ever did from 1 week of Skillcrush lessons.

In retrospect, had I not read the HTML book, I'd have been equally confused on the HTML unit. Skillcrush's 2 minute videos and infographics just don't work. They really just present a superficial understanding of the material. Reading the books, I've gotten such a deep understanding of the material. I'd never reccomend Skillcrush to anyone, especially people new to coding. Also, I'm always suspicious of a company who doesn't post a phone number or address.

I will say is that their cheat sheets and job application schedules aren't bad. The instructors are also helpful.
  • Andrea Martens • Graphic & Web Designer • Graduate

At the start, I was skeptical about Skillcrush—the cost was making me sway, but the end result has left me with no regrets.

I love the energy and outstanding know-how that Skillcrush has. Their presentation of material is thoughtful, thorough and easy to follow. Their after hours one-on-one instructor-student help is unique, as well as course cheat-sheets, inside knowledge and additional videos are all incredibly helpful. I especially liked how they regularly encourage you and never leave you feeling like your treading water alone during your course (or after completion).

One stipulation, I live in Canada so their job postings are not so accessible for me. BUT, as a Skillcrush Alumni they are still super supportive and revel in my successes as well. This happens in the form of a retweet or blasting out my interview that I did with them (Sept 2014), which has got me some traction (thank you, Skillcrush!).

I still get their eblasts and take pleasure in reading them. Their tone of writing is enlighenting and entertaining—not stuffy whatsoever.

I highly recommend Skillcrush to everyone (even the fellas)!

• Lynn • Account Specialist

I thought Skillcrush was the best choice for me when I realized that I needed more "formal" learning for front end development.  I previously had owned my own web design business for a year and knew basic HTML and CSS, but I was self taught and had huge knowledge gaps of the basics.  I took the Web Developer Blueprint and loved the price- it's way cheaper than a lot of the other bootcamps out there online.  I got a good foundation in the basics of HTML and CSS, JavaScript and JQuery, and Ruby on Sinatra.  I felt that the class rushed a bit for JavaScript and Ruby, so I'm less comfortable with those and am studying them independently now with a couple of books.  The best way to enforce learning is to definitely do all of the projects you are assigned, and to try out side projects on your own.  The course is flexible, so if you fall behind, it's okay, no worries.  It's a good value overall.  FYI: Skillcrush does not offer job placement or resume help.

I am taking the new Ruby on Rails blueprint with Skillcrush next week and will report back with those results.

I was a bit hesitant at first and took a few weeks to take the leap, mostly due to my own fears. I am still working my way through the Front End Dev program, but am loving it! The instructors are involved, encouraging, and know their stuff! They make it easy to access help whether it's through the online chat, email, or Slack channels. The program itself provides a ton of useful resources in addition to the course videos and projects themselves. Worth every penny!

This course is a nice pace both for people new to coding as well as those with very limited experience. It gives ample explanation of concepts, and even gives multiple explanations for harder concepts. I especially liked that there were transcripts available for all the videos. I felt like it was a safe place to ask even the most basic questions, and everyone was very helpful & welcoming. I do have to say that the fact that it is mostly women here is making learning much more comfortable and confidence building, and it is SO NICE not to be talked down to!

I'm excited about this new opportunity to have a job I enjoy AND can make a living doing. It's a relief to know that career change IS possible with some work & perseverance, and I'm very happy to have stumbled upon Skillcrush at this point in my life.

• Course review
    - 1/5/2018
    Okay. I only write reviews if my experience was awfully good or awfully bad. Ive been enrolled with skillcrush for over a month now and i have learnt a lot!!! Previously i had spent months over months on othet online platforms like udacity, udemy, coursera, lynda (you name it) to learn web design, development and git but some of the concepts were extremely confusing to grasp and i ended up giving up because it got so frustrating without clear tutorials and not much help from the instructors. Online learning can be very challenging! Then aftet a year i decided to join skillcrush and i have to admit its worth every penny!!! they make learning a breeze. The tutorials are amaaaazingly simple and at the same time very informative. If you get stuck you can turn to their google hangout or an instructor on live chat. The responses are fairly quick. And the instructors dont rest until they have resolved the issue for you. They make learning so much easier and fun!i look forward to learning stuff every day (who thought learning was so fun, right?!). The curriculum is great. You learn super hard concepts without even realizing how hard it was.

I have been in retail way too long, and finally decided to take the leap and change careers completely. I have 2 little girls, and do not have the luxury or income to attend boot camps or get another college degree. Skillcrush was the best decision I made! It made it fun, interesting and applicable. I tried other online courses, which were helpful, but Skillcrush guides you so you don't feel lost or overwhelmed. And it sets you up perfectly for an actual job when you're done. Loved it!!!!

The Front End Developer course is the first I've taken with Skillcrush, but it definitely won't be the last. I have never taken an online course, and felt incredibly hesitant to learn tech this way (what if I have a million unanswerable questions!!! what if I get behind on my classes!!!), but this Skillcrush course is designed in such a way that learning (and getting help!) was a breeze, even for a total beginner like me. I even took a week off of classes for vacation, but it was a cinch to work at my own pace and stay up with the material.

The Skillcrush folks do a great job of creating an online community vibe, so I never once felt isolated or alone in the process. BUT, I will say that these courses are much easier IF you read all of the instructions, complete orientation, go through all of the basic beginning steps before class starts, and really set yourself up for success.

When you're learning on your own, it's SO tempting to skip steps, jump to the cheat code right away, or just do other things besides class. I believe these courses are best suited for folks who know themselves well, are self-motivated, can hunker down and stay on-task (even when they have a ton of questions and feel uncertain about their work), and can exercise patience when waiting for questions to be answered via email.

Personally, I LOVE working on my own, don't have trouble staying focused, and was able to resist the urge to cheat through the course - the answer code provided at the end of every learning module helped me immensely when checking my work.

I HIGHLY recommend Skillcrush courses. I will most likely take the Wordpress course next - this stuff is FUN to learn.

I am a current student doing the All-Access Career Blueprint.  This is a very valuable course as it allows the student to learn about more than just one area.  You can do the design courses and the Wordpress courses and the Ruby courses if you want to.  It is great for people who want to develop more than one skill set.  The courses are well-paced and they make it easy to learn the new skills.  The other great piece is that you get a career counselor who will work with you one-on-one to help you develop a personal plan for entering the workforce.  That to me makes it all worthwhile.

So, I'm only just a month into this blueprint and I like the way this is working for me. The fact that I can work at my own pace is great. I am sometimes concerned that I don't have all the in-depth knowlege I might want to have, but I also know that I have time to catch up. I also love that Skillcrush points me in the direction of articles, other Developers and their websites, and other relevant resources to help you learn more on your own.

And I have to say, going to a networking event and even mentioning that you are learning tech skills--suddenly people want to talk to you.

• Anonymous • Marketing Coordinator • Graduate

This course pack teaches your the fundamentals of coding and building a website from scratch. It is interactive, captivating and goes a steady pace throughout the material.

• Anonymous • Senior Designer • Student

I'm a designer with a lot of experience and am fascinated by the potential of digital products so I decided to learn to code! I have to say it's been such a great experience and Skillcrush has been amazing - I value them not just for helping me dive in to such an overwhelmingly huge field (they make it as painless and accessible as possible) but I also really value the positive input they have in my life - I love their positive vibes and empowering, pro-active way of going about things! I went for my first interview for a digital role yesterday and thanks to just a few short months of Skillcrush, I knew all the right answers to their questions!

• Great Community
    - 1/26/2017

Skill crush offers a great community and is well structured.  I enjoyed their free 10 day bootcamp. Thinking about signing up for more.

As a designer, we were taught a lot about photoshop, design principals, and html/css in school, which was helpful, but not the whole story for someone who wanted to be a designer and devloper.

The Wordpress Blueprint has given me skills that I use at my current job, as well as everything I need to take a website from start to finish. That was the most valuable part for me. Start to finish. :)

I am glad I signed up for the front-end developer blueprint.  Prior to signing up for this, I was taking free courses. However, I was missing structure.  I like being able to advice from professionals.  You receive great resources and encouragement.  The courses are taking things I seen in free courses and making it clear.  I feel more confident to build my own website. I encourage others to join.  I also like how they teach you with a variety video, reading, discussions.  This method keeps you engaged.

Skillcrush Blueprints fill in the blanks I'm left while completing other online bootcamps and courses. Adda clearly spells out each concept with amazing detail and I don't feel pushed to move on to the next concept even though I'm not ready.

The value for Skillcrush's services is amazing. I cannot believe all that I get for the price that I pay. TAs and instructors respond in a quick fashion in our Google Groups, and students interact with each other.

I couldn't be happier with my investment.

• Web Design Student
    - 10/24/2016

I can't speak for job assistence as I havn't made it that far through the course yet. As far as everything else about the course, I love it! Every lesson is broken down in a way that you gain so much knowledge without it seeming to overwhelming and daunting.

I do wish that there was a feedback 101 google group, as sometimes its hard to tell if I've gotten my code correct, but appart from that, I really am enjoying learning through Skillcrush.

everything was as advertised and if you're someone like me that needs that structured space for learning, but can't do deadlines, this is definitely a great place to start! I work full time and sometimes have to make everything up on the weekend, so its nice to not have hard deadlines.

• Anonymous • RN • Student

I have been incredibly happy with my Skillcrush experience. Prior to joining the Skillcrush Front End Developer Course, I had been desperately trying to find a way to learn to code and work full time. I had tried teaching myself some information, but the amount of information that I was unfamiliar with was daunting. I looked into a few ful-time boot camps but didn't have the time or the funds to attend. I wasn't sure I would ever be able to make a change in my career, until I found Skillcrush.

After searching around the Skillcrush website, I decided to give their free "10-day Boot-Camp" a try. The course was informative, easy to follow, and geared towards women- it was perfect! I decided to sign up for one of the (very affordable) blueprint courses, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm still able to work full time and fit Skillcrush classes in when I can. Information continues to be presented in manner that is easy to follow. I appreciate that lessons begin with a video, followed by some reading and a quiz. I have found the instructors and the students to be very helpful and supportive via the online forum and via email. I haven't finished my first blueprint yet, but I already have pages of additional learning resources (which I love).

I don't really have any recommendations for Skillcrush, their blueprints are perfect for those looking to learn a new skill or change careers and offer a light for women in a predominantely male field.

I took the Web Design blueprint last year ('15) and am currently in the Wordpress Developer blueprint. Both blueprints provided a great foundation in the languages that they are teaching. However, despite the breadth of information there is not as much depth as I would have liked. However, they provide many external resources to refer to, as you continue learning tech skills. Moving from Mightybell to Google groups is definitely an improvement. These groups allow you to discuss work with other classmates and with TAs and instructors, which allows for more personalized help than some online classes allow. The Master classes are great additions to help make the connection from what you are learning into the real world with people who are in the industry. Office hours are run through Google groups, which provides a lot of personalized help and to meet others face to face. The best part of taking Skillcrush classes is being a part of the community and all of their content. Signing up for their newsletter alone provides so many great articles on a weekly basis on all things tech. However, by taking classes you are invited to exclusive online webinars and summits and they provide you with great cheatsheets. These are lifesavers as they basically summarize what you are learning in bite-size chunks that you can use throughout your tech career. Finally, as alumni you are invited to join their Slack alumni channels, which keeps you engaged and accountable and a part of an amazing tech community.

• Anonymous • Realtor

I am not technically able, and I'm probably much older than the typical learner. (My teenagers shake their heads, muttering "elders and technology".) In the past, I have tried to learn HTML and CSS through books and through free and inexpensive online classes and videos.  Always, I got stuck after the first few lessons and abandoned the effort because of lack of support.  With Skillcrush, the pace of the learning and variety of ways to learn is actually helping to push me ahead.  The instructional videos are short, sweet clips you can watch when you have a moment.  The hands-on practice sessions are challenging and fun. When I have a question, I can participate in an online group where students and instructors can pitch in, or I can email an instructor directly. Each day I receive an email from the instructor and a list of tasks. As I complete a task, the screen visually records my progress. Further, Skillcrush provides a lot of bonuses like online resources, coaching for job search, and general rah-rah enthusiasm and encouragement that makes you feel that you can do this!  If you want to start walking and talking like a real, live coder, this is the place to start.

I'm currently enrolled in the Web Development Blueprint, and can't say enough good things about this curriculum. The syllabus provides detailed info on what is expected daily for the coursework, and even with a full time job, I am able to complete my daily assignments. Skillcrush provide shelpful handouts to review as well as resources to research on your own time. Teachers are available for questions throughtout the program, and always accessible. I had prior knowledge of HTML & CSS coding, which has been helpful for me in this class; however I feel you could excel with this class with no prior knowledge. I have already applied what I have learned to projects in my current job, and feel much more confident in my coding abiities. Skillcrush reps have sent us mulitple ways to get jobs in the industry as well.

• Skillcrush Review
    - 9/19/2016

I had been debating for about a year to sign up for a Skillcrush class, when I finally had, I regretted waiting so long. I thought while I was sitll in school I wouldn't have the time, but the class is so flexible it's not even an issue now that I'm working full time. Skillcrush instructors are FRIENDLY and helpful, and try to create the most supportive, judgement-free environment possible.

I had been on the fence about starting a blueprint for quite some time and finally took the plunge. I could not be happier ad doing so. I am only on my third week but I feel that I will definitely get to where I need to be by the time I am done. I hope to continue taking other Blueprints like the Wordpress and Design ones and get a very clear understanding to better my current situation. I highly recommend the courese as it will guide you from absolute zero to actually understanding.