skill-distillery-logo

Skill Distillery

Denver

Skill Distillery

Skill Distillery is an intensive, 16-week Java bootcamp in Denver, Colorado. The course is arranged into three units – Java Programming, Server-side Java, and Front-end Development. The curriculum focuses on the fundamentals of programming, Java (and its libraries), unit testing, Spring, Spring MVC, and using a source code repository. Students will also gain experience deploying web content to a web server and navigating the server file system from the command line. Skill Distillery graduates will be prepared to take the Oracle Certified Associate – Java Programmer exam and will be on track for a career as a web interface designer or a full stack application developer.

No prior coding experience is required; instead, Skill Distillery looks for driven, determined and passionate people wanting to make a change in their life. Prospective applicants must complete an online assessment, meet with an admissions advisor, and finish a logic test.

Skill Distillery’s parent company, Batky-Howell, has more than 25 years of experience training more than 40,000 IT professionals from companies such as HP, Lockheed Martin, Level3, Time Warner and Disney.

Recent Skill Distillery Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (107) reviews for Skill Distillery →

Recent Skill Distillery News

Read all (4) articles about Skill Distillery →
  • Full-Stack Web Development w/ Java Bootcamp (Online)

SQL, MySQL, JavaScript, Java, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS, AngularJS
    LocationDenver
    Become a software engineer in as little as 16 weeks. Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
    Deposit$1,000 * Applied toward total tuition cost.
    Tuition PlansMonthly payment plan options are available
    ScholarshipScholarships are awarded based on need, to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% off tuition https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkYes: 40-60 hours
  • Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite)

Java, HTML, CSS, Git, JavaScript, MySQL, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Upcoming 2020 Cohort Dates: SD 27 July 13, 2020 SD 28 September 21, 2020 SD 29 November 9, 2020
    Deposit$1,000 *Goes towards total tuition cost of $19,950
    Climb Credit
    Meritize
    ScholarshipScholarships are awarded based on need to ensure high-potential students have access to the training they need to enter the technology workforce. Scholarships are awarded for up to 50% of tuition. https://skilldistillery.com/scholarship/
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkYes; 40-60 hours
  • Part-Time Full-Stack Java

SQL, REST, MySQL, MVC, Java, GitHub
    LocationDenver
    Skill Distillery’s Java full-stack programming is an immersive, hands-on program where you learn the critical coding skills to build a lasting career as a full-stack Java application developer. Our goal is to create an environment where you can focus on building the skills you need to transition into a career you love.
    Tuition financing options available through Climb
    Refund / GuaranteeThe deposit is 100% refundable.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo prior experience is necessary
    Prep WorkOnce you have been accepted into the program, there is required prework.
  • Web Development with Java (Online)

MySQL, Java
    LocationDenver
    We started with a simple question: What programming skills will give our students a competitive edge in today's job market? We did the research, and Java is the clear winner. Java gives our graduates twice as many job opportunities. For over 15 years, Java has been and is one of the most popular programming languages worldwide with over 51 billion Java Virtual Machines installed.* The bottom line is Java is here to stay! When it comes to Java we "wrote the book." We have trained over 40,000 students in Java over 20 years as well as published Java training materials used by companies worldwide. No other school comes close to our Java experience and expertise.
    Financing is available through CLIMB Credit Loan

In Full: $14,950

Monthly Payments: $4,650

0% Interest Loan: $581

Monthly Payments During and After Course

Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175
    Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course)

Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
    Tuition PlansIn Full: $14,950 Monthly Payments: $4,650 0% Interest Loan: $581 Monthly Payments During and After Course Climb Credit Loan: $81-$175 Monthly Payments During Course ($479-$532 for 36 months after course) Pay After You Get Hired: $774**
    Refund / GuaranteeYes
    ScholarshipYes. See website for details.
    Minimum Skill LevelHS Diploma
    Prep WorkPre-work is provided once accepted into the program.

• $500 Skill Distillery Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Skill Distillery scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full-Stack Web Development w/Java Bootcamp (Onsite) (Denver)
  • Not recommended
    - 1/13/2016

Pros:

The Java instructor was excellent.  He is a true teacher whose gift has helped many and will continue to do so.  The first portion of Java was successful.

Cons:

This bootcamp did not produce as promised.  After the first portion of Java programming, everything fell apart.  The course content was advertised as unique and created in-house, however, instructors ended up reading out of external courseware manuals.  The learning process consisted of unengaging lecture with very little hands-on programming.  Important concepts like Agile methodology, paired-programming, and GitHub were not adequately understood or practiced.  Instruction in later portions was substandard for a variety of reasons: some instructors had little or outdated industry experience, while others were simply not skilled at teaching the material.  Additonally, there was no career planning component and very few graduates currently are employed in the industry.  Lastly, prior and current student personal information was not kept in confidence, which created an unprofessional atmosphere.

If looking for a bootcamp that offers GI Bill support, please wait for other area bootcamps to receive approval from the Veteran's Administration.

• Maya Mohan • Student

First off, Jamie Placensia, Why are reviewing a school you never went to? Second, move on! Welcome to the real world, no one owes you anything.

I am a current student at skill distillery and so far, so good! Jamie is an excellent instructor, TA's are helpful, and there's a good group of people in my cohort who come from all kinds of backgrounds. We all kind of help each other out. The program kicks your butt, but what do you expect? I feel myself being constantly pushed, but I know at the end it will be a rewarding experience.

I will update this review when I graduate :)

-------

Hey Folks!

I am back updating my review from 1/12/16 like I promised I would!! I'm a woman of my word.

All jokes aside- I'm not going to lie, the negative reviews that I read on this site bothered me. Paying $16,000 for a school that had a lot of negative reviews while I was still in the program, made me worry about what was to come. They made a lot of changes from the cohort before mine, and so my experience was much better than theirs.

I am honestly so glad I stayed. I had ZERO coding experience before the program, and at times, I truly did struggle and worried about whether the program was for me. But the instructors, the TA's, my fellow students, and our school director, helped me stick through it, and man is that the most rewarding experience to say that I graduated! I am so thankful for the program and people I've met.

I now will be working as a junior java developer at American Healthcare Technologies, where I was doing marketing before.

• Pelham • Student

I came to Skill Distillery with no prior coding experience whatsoever.  I was worried, but the excellent instructors and support staff at Skill Distillery have made me feel at home, and I'm learning so much every day.  I looked at coding boot camps all over the country, and frankly,I could not be happier with my decision to attend Skill Distillery.

Response From: Cole Frock of Skill Distillery
    Title: School Director
    Thursday, Jan 21 2016
    Hello,

Thank you for your positive review and thank you for being our student. I couldn't be happier to see your progress and success!

~Cole
  • Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I enjoyed my time with Skill Distillery. The staff were courteous and professional, and they cared about the students. It's a genuine challenge to fall through the cracks at their school.

I went to SD for the enterprise Java development aspect of the program. It's a very difficult school to complete successfully. I think a large part of that is due to the nature of Java as a full-fledged programming language and not a scripting language. After working my face off in the program, I’m now working with startups in Denver, Houston, and Santa Barbara. I can’t describe the sense of pride I have from completing something as difficult as SD’s program and being a success afterwards. Their curriculum is great; it hits all the major topics that you need to get going as a developer, and it provides a springboard to something even greater if you put in the work. My advice is to work your ass off and make great projects.

I can attest that the staff take feedback very seriously and act on it quickly. The only "downside" that I saw was that the location isn’t "cool," but that’s not really what you’re there for.

I was hired before I graduated the program, so they must be doing something right!  If you want to be a developer, go to this bootcamp. They teach the most prolific technologies with an expertise rarely found in other training programs.

• Jamie Placensia • Applicant

I was never a student and got turned down for the November 2015 cohort.

I AM NOT HERE TO PROTEST MY REJECTION.

I would like to simply provide feedback on the lack of professionalism shown by the admissions staff.  During the process, I was really more curious as to what my shortcomings were so I could develop them and re-apply, if able.  Throughout the process, multiple emails and phone calls went unanswered by Admissions Rep, even though she told me in-person that ALL applicants are given feedback, regardless or their acceptance or rejection.

After 3X emails to her, I had to physically visit the office to confront her for a simple explanation as to my status.  She immediately claimed she gave my application to the School DIrector for review and notification.  If this is true, he simply never followed up with me.  Why?  You'll have to ask him.

As of 1/4/16, I followed up to see if I could re-apply for the FEB 2016 cohort.  The School Director choose to email the next day claiming that the application process would not be revised until July and that I was unable to apply until then.  I see no fault in this, as the school is free to do what they choose.

However, i'm not OK with the fact that the School Director offered to answer any questions I had in his email, but has yet to reply to anything I asked about...i'm still waiting.

Overall, it appears that Skills Distillery is CHOOSING to treat people this way...and that's their prerogative...as long as they are willing to deal with the consequences:)

FYI...I did take both Learn by the Byte courses offered by the school on Udemy.com.  The online Instructor was excellent...and i'm sure he's probably even better in person.

Response From: Cole Frock of Skill Distillery
    Title: School Director
    Wednesday, Jan 20 2016
    Dear Jamie,

This program is not for everyone, and we sent you a letter describing why we did not see you as a fit for our school. We have a record of our correspondence with you, and if you have questions about why you were rejected please feel free to email me: Cole(at)Skilldistillery,com

The employee you mentioned is no longer with the program, and she was no longer here when your emails went unanswered. However, if you have questions please reach out to me.

~Cole
  • DO NOT ATTEND!
    - 1/7/2016
    Aire • Student

All thumbs down... do not attend... don't ask me why, Mr. Boyle has already told you why.

It pangs me to write this as I truly do appreciate and value the staff at Skill Distillery but unfortunatley when 9 months of my ("would-have-been-had-I stayed-til-the-end-and-not-left-half-way-through") GI Bill benefits are at stake, the exchange is idiotic. Mr. Boyle gives you the "why", I am here to confirm his sentiments.

Perhaps as they evolve, assuming they figure out a way to do so given the fact that, last I checked, all but one student has left the third cohort, they will become a more appealing bootcamp. Until that day comes, I'm skeptical that it will. That said, stay away from Skill Distillery like its a rat with the plague.

I want to reiterate, this pangs me immensely to write this as I did grow fond of the folks there but again at the end of the day when 16k is on the line, or 9 months of GI Bill benefits like it ultimately would have been for me, my god, do not toss the dice here. You'd have better luck taking a late night stroll through a back alley in Compton.

///Quick injection to note. The two lead instructors were more than professional. In no way does this review serve to paint an ill picture as to either their quality as individuals or developers/instructors. They were plagued with antiquated methodologies and dogma that kept them from actualizing as they could have had they, i guess "see the light" of optimal learning methodologies.///

Response From: Bruce of Skill Distillery
    Title: CEO
    Wednesday, Jan 20 2016
    Hi Aire (Austin),

I am sorry that your experience with us wasn't satisfactory. We are really proud to be able to offer training to students using the GI Bill and we take our duty to the veterans in our class very seriously.

We know that our program isn't for everyone. Learning Java is very tough, and we are working hard to make sure that when students leave here they are capable of working in today's very competitive job market. The first-half of our program lays a foundation, and our students are put through a full Oracle Java certification course and exam. While that is a tough and demanding section, it pales in comparison to the challenges in our second half. We know that some students won't make it over that hump and we know some will need to leave the program. We do everything we can to help students through the pain, but that won't be enough for everyone.

I am sorry that you are no longer in the program. If you ever want to try again, or ever need help figuring out your next steps, please reach out to me: bruce(at)skilldistillery.com

~Bruce
  • Clayton Boyle • Student • Student

Skill Distillery is a poorly planned and executed bootcamp that will take enormous amounts of both your time and money. A dangerous mix of incompetence and questionable integrity creates a learning environment that robs students of motivation and their money/VA benefits. Students have been exiting in droves after getting a glimpse into the inner workings of the school - my cohort started with 12 students, went down to 3, and is potentially losing more students before they finish.

Despite advertising decades of experience, we were only their third cohort. The previous cohorts consisted of 5 and 8 students. Skill Distillery hired a couple students out of the previous cohorts, but beyond that they provide no examples or success stories regarding students getting employment. From what I gather, some students have gone back to their previous employment. They refuse to showcase previous cohorts projects, probably due to the fact that one TA described them as 'sucking.'

Simple concepts such as paired programming and integrating into the workforce were barely covered. They were shoehorned in at the last minute in a last ditch attempt at saving our class, but this futile attempt at reinvigorating the class failed spectacularly

Hours of lecture, consisting of material being read from books in a monotone, took up the vast majority of the days. Keyboard time was minimal, and consisted of editing, cutting and pasting code provided by the publishers of the texts.

I and several other students spent hours and hours in meetings giving requested feedback to no avail. Previous cohorts were described as being unmotivated and/or of questionable talent. The lack of professionalism was a red flag, the refusal to showcase prevoius students final projects was a red flag, the disparaging remarks regarding previous students was a red flag, the terrible texts provided to us after the first few weeks were red flags, but perhaps the biggest red flag of all was the look of utter defeat on the faces of the students in the cohort ahead of us. Unfortunately, I managed to ignore all the warning signs for a while, due to my desire to make this program work.

There was one shining part of that program, and that is the instructor who teaches the first quad covering Java. He is an amazing teacher. After that, the program falls apart.

It is my opinion that anyother bootcamp in Colorado is superior. If you need to use your VA benefits, wait until other bootcamps get certified. Many are in the process of doing so right now.

I have always wanted to be a developer, and I will not let the shenanigans at Skill Distillery deter me from that goal. I am attending another bootcamp in Colorado, and I will post a review once I complete it.

It is my opinion that you should choose Skill Distillery only if you are long on time and money, short on wits, and wish to remain unemployed for as long as possible.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at my first and last name at gmail. Everything I have stated is factual and accurate - I have saved all emails, text messages, and slack messages in the event that I am questioned or attacked for providing honest reviews.

Response From: Bruce Batky of Skill Distillery
    Title: CEO
    Thursday, Jan 21 2016
    Hi Clayton,

I am sorry to hear that your experience here was disappointing. Since you wrote a
    series of lengthy comments, I want to take a few minutes to try and address
    some of your concerns. Since you left halfway through the program, I think it's
    fair to say that you missed quite a bit of what we offer.

I think it is important to first take account of our experience. We have run boot camps for Disney, Key Bank, Raytheon, and BNYMellon in the last ten years on the corporate
    side.  We are not a stranger to boot camps. We got into this business to
    share our knowledge of programming and development. We opened
    Skill Distillery because we had been asked for years to create Java boot camps
    for big companies, and we wanted to create an option for the general public to
    have access to accelerated learning programs and to our capabilities to
    share that expertise.

You mentioned your disappointment was that you weren’t introduced to paired programming.
    We certainly do a deep dive on paired programming, but we engage this topic
    later in the program, after you decided to leave.

As for job placement, we tell all of our students to expect about a 3 month lag time from the time they start applying for jobs to when they find one. From the time people start, our team
    works hard to make sure their resumes are ready and that they are prepared to
    go to interviews. We work with our network to try to get students to events and
    to meet potential recruiters and hiring partners. Last week, three more of our students from the class before yours got hired into a major tech firm in Denver. These are Java developer positions and were obtained within 2 weeks of applying … reviews are on the way.

Finally, we don’t read from books in class. Our instructors have a long and serious history of teaching, and they know their stuff. If anything, they go too deeply into a given subject, but
    that’s all from their vault of knowledge locked in their heads.

We know that our program isn’t perfect, and it isn’t for everyone. This is a tough and
    demanding curriculum, and it requires hours upon hours of tedious and arduous work to succeed. In our experience, that is the only way to succeed as a programmer!

If you would like to talk, or if there is anything I can do to help you, please
    reach out to me. Our door is always open.

~Bruce
  • Great Program
    - 8/18/2020
    Anonymous • Software Engineer l
    Skill Distillery is a great opportunity that benefited me greatly. You get what you put in, if you're ready to fully commit to learning how to code, you will undoubtedly get a job in the industry. The instructors are always available to make sure you are succeeding and excelling in the program.
    If you do job searches, you will find that Skill Distillery provides very up to date education with all of the tools you need to stand out and get started in a Jr. Software Engineer role.
    Advice: Always be thinking one step ahead and apply yourself. With mid term and final projects, challenge yourself to come up with projects that you will be proud to display as key talking points in interviews.
  • Anonymous • AVP; Sys/Data Security • Graduate

Skill Distillery was, simply, the best decision I could have made while making a radical career change in my mid-30s.  The staff was enthusiastic and knowledgable, the curriculum was relevant and rigorous, and the quality of my fellow students was inspiring.  A year after graduating from this school I can say, without a doubt, that the training I received there is directly responsible for much of the success I've had in the time since.  I would highly recommend this course to all students, at all levels of ability, who are looking to work hard and make a positive change in their lives.

Prior to attending Skill Distillery I spent time as a musician, bus driver, and 6 years in the Navy.  When it was time to transition from active duty toward a new career, I was looking for training in computer programming that would be comprehensive enough to get a job but wouldn't take so long that it would take me out of the job market for an extended period.  I chose to go to SD because it seemed to offer both of these: the curriculum boasts an impressive list of technologies with an emphasis on Java and the training is only 19 weeks long.  Because they also took the GI bill, it made the program an obvious choice.

I arrived at the school with previous, self-taught experience.  The training I received at the school was way beyond what I could have done on my own, however.  I was challenged throughout the curriculum, as were the other students.  But, with that challenge came a lot of employable skills.  I left the school with an Oracle Java SE7 certification and a strong grasp of OOP/OOD, Java SE, Spring, SQL, Amazon Web Services, JavaScript, Angular, Agile methodologies, and more.

After leaving the school I had four job interviews within one month of graduation and got four job offers.  Two of the job offers were for Java developer postions and two were for python ( a language we didn't even cover at the school).  Two of those jobs offered 6 figure starting salaries.  The job I chose put me in a very interesting and fullfilling role as a cyber security web application developer for a large bank usign python/django.  Within a few months I was a lead developer.  Many of my fellow developers have no idea that I have little on-the-job experience.  Because of the comprehensive training I received at the school and the experienced I gained rapidly developing projects, I fit in rather easily.

I would absolutely recommed this school to anyone who is serious about making a change into software development.  You will be challenged, for sure.  But, if you stick with the curriculum, you will be amazed at how much you can learn.  Because this school doesn't cut corners or offer only easily-learned technologies, you will be in a great position to show potential employers that you have what it takes to make a meaningful contribution to their team!

• AVOID AT ALL COSTS
    - 5/15/2017

Steve, the main core Java programming instructor, is let's just say, emotional.  I can't even tell you how many times he has yelled at our class or threatened to kick someone out in front of the class, and in some cases succeeded much to the financial detriment of the student.   Do not take this course, if you get even a little behind they will force you to quit or fall back to a previous cohort. This used to be a very good environment, it's very disappointing now, it has become a culture of fear and is very hard to learn in.

• Anonymous • sarahlobser@yahoo.com • Graduate

Skill Distillery first caught my eye when I saw they accepted the GI Bill, and they happened to be close to home. I'd heard vaguely about coding bootcamps, and dismissed them without much thought, figuring they were all a scam somehow. But all of a sudden I had a relatively low risk option, and decided to check them out.

What I got was far beyond my expectations. I took about a year of computer science back in college, and this program blew through everything I knew in the first two weeks. It was challenging. Java is challenging. And adding in the full stack to build web applications with SQL, JDBC, JPA, JSPs, HTML, and CSS made me wonder if I could grasp it all. And then moving to JavaScript and building these apps using a whole other suite of technologies (Node.js, Express, jQuery, AJAX, Angular...) was like climbing to the top of a mountain only to realize I was only at the saddle. Looking back I can't believe how much I learned in 19 weeks.

I started looking for a job a little later than most, but started interviewing in the last week of school. In every interview I had I would describe what I had learned and the response was always "you worked with [fill in the blank] technologies? Well that's exactly what we do here." In some cases the employer could see areas where I could show them something new. All my interviews were favorable, and 10 days after I graduated I had an offer I couldn't refuse working with a great group of people. For the first time in my life I'm turning down job offers, and making more money than I ever would have imagined.