redwood-code-academy--logo

Redwood Code Academy

Irvine, Irvine, Orange County, San Diego

Redwood Code Academy

Redwood Code Academy offers 12-week full-time, and 24-week part-time full-stack software development bootcamps in Orange County, CA. Technologies taught include HTML, CSS, Javascript, ReactJS, C# .NET Core, Node.js, SQL, MongoDB, RESTful API, AWS, Git Workflow, and Agile Development. Redwood Code Academy covers full stack software development, with a focus on web application, but also includes mobile applications, desktop applications and cloud services. The Academy focuses on real world skills training by helping students learn the fundamentals of full stack development, work in teams to build a portfolio and gain the skills necessary to interview and land a dream job.

To apply candidates should fill out an online questionnaire, schedule a visit to the Redwood campus to meet with a mentor, attend a beginner workshop, and participate in a final interview.

Upon completion of the curriculum, Redwood Code Academy provides students with career guidance including resume prep, optimization of LinkedIn and Github profiles, mock job interviews, and introductions to local recruiters and employers in Redwood's hiring network.

Recent Redwood Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (42) reviews for Redwood Code Academy →

Recent Redwood Code Academy News

Read all (7) articles about Redwood Code Academy →
  • Full Stack Immersion

MongoDB, HTML, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date February 17, 2020
    LocationIrvine
    Students will learn the fundamentals of full-stack development, work in teams to build a portfolio and gain necessary skills. The program is broken up into: Software Fundamentals, Web apps and front-end development Full-stack .NET and SQL Starter Portfolio Project Capstone Portfolio Project Interview and Industry Prep
    We have partnered with SkillsFund to provide student loans
    February 17, 2020 - Irvine Apply by February 12, 2020
  • Part Time - Full Stack

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, Mobile, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date January 21, 2020
    LocationIrvine
    Become a software developer without quitting your day job. Learn the in's and out's of coding in 24 weeks of night classes. Industry Leading Curriculum Learn the most sought after technologies that employers are looking for. We have a focus on the .NET framework and also dig deep into web development including JavaScript. Get the same curriculum and lessons taught in our full time class, without needing to change your work schedule.
    We have partnered with SkillsFund to provide financing
    January 21, 2020 - Irvine Apply by January 15, 2020

• Lee Thorne • Full Stack Developer • Student

Anyone that is on the fence about whether or not to attend a bootcamp - stop debating. If you’re researching the code schools to death and still feel unsure of where to go - stop looking. My only regret is not starting this sooner. I researched a ton of camps before deciding to attend Redwood, and I am so thankful that I made this decision. The curriculum is current and relevant to the job market. The content is challenging and intense, but you can still feel comfortable asking questions and seeking help when you need it. If your curiosity of a particular technology takes you somewhere beyond what the course curriculum entails, the instructors are more than willing to work with you on whatever your interests are in their free time. You have 24/7 access to the truly brilliant minds of the leader and instructors, which is an invaluable resource. What sets Redwood apart from the rest is the obvious dedication, brilliance, and enthusiasm that exudes from their staff. It’s apparent that they eat, sleep, and breath code. The instructors are excited about development and dedicated to your success as a developer. They provide you with the knowledge, training, and resources that it takes to secure that dream job. I have no complaints about this program and would highly recommend it to absolutely anyone. Don’t just take my word for it though...contact Harrison with any questions, concerns, or thoughts you may have about the program. I assure you he will respond in a timely manner with all of the info you’ll need!

• Barton Flojo • Graduate

I came into this course not knowing anything in regards to coding. I had my doubts and had visited several boot camps before making a decision. The first impression is always the most crucial and Harrison Spain blew me out of the water. He walked me through how this course works and what the expectations are. He put my mind at ease. Over the past 3 months, i have had ups and downs, I have felt completely lost and each time something connected the feeling of accomplishment was amazing. Several fully functional apps later I have a solid grasp on coding for the languages that we have learned and full confidence in learning new ones with ease. 10/10 would absolutely go through this experience again. The teachers were awesome, the students were great and I am all the better having gone through this class!!!

• Caroline Doan • Student

This decision changed my life. Before I decided to embark on this journey, I was completely miserable. Even though I was doing well career-wise, I absolutely despised my job! My experience here has been rewarding, challenging, and WORTH EVERY PENNY!

So far, we've gone over Javascript, JQuery, Angular JS, C#, SQL, and various industry best practices and operational frameworks such as Agile which includes SCRUM.  The curriculum is very robust and fast-paced. It is tailored to the increasing job demands of the Orange County market.

Harrison, Billy, and Taylor are the most knowledgeable and patient instructors I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The structure of the class is small so that each student has the opportunity to obtain personal instruction should they need to.

Overall, my experience has exceeded my expectations, and I am excited to finish this journey and see where this path leads me!

• James Obaña Padolina • Student

After watching "Silicon Valley" on HBO one sunday night, I was inspired, and wanted to learn how to code, and  be able to create things, as part of a team, or on my own. Before enrolling into Redwood Code Academy, I was in the medical field as a Respiratory Therapist, with no experience in coding. I started teaching myself code by trying out free courses online, and did that for a month. While I was self teaching, I found myself learning at a slow pace, and needed to go somewhere that would push me to learn..

MAN!!!, did I get what I was asking for.. At Redwood Code Academy each day would start off with a lesson, and after lunch would be a lab. The lab would take up the rest of the day. It would make me think, and occasionally frustrate me. The thing is, they dont always expect you to finish the lab, but understanding the concept from the lesson prior, is what they are really trying to push.

The instructors: Harrison, Billy, and Taylor are very knowledgable know their stuff, when it comes to making RPG games,  teaching, and what jobs will be looking for during an interview. There will be days when you feel like you hit a wall, but the instructors are there to help and point you to the right direction.

I am 6 weeks in, and half way through the program. My experience so far at Redwood Code Academy has been nothing but challenging, and  I wouldn't have it any other way! I have learned so much these past 6 weeks, than I would have on my own. My colleagues in my cohort, come in all different ages, from their mid teens to their late 30's! I say this because, it's never too early, or too late! If you have been considering to learn to code, and want to go to a place that will give you that push! Redwood Code Academy is the place to be!

• Kenley

I always wanted to pursue a career in coding but after graduating with a Marketing degree I thought it was too late. I had watched quiet a few youtube videos about HTML, CSS and Javascript as well as took a few courses on code academy but my coding experience and knowledge was very limited. After working in the Marketing field for a year I decided to take a leap of faith and pursue coding. I googled coding bootcamps and realized there were quiet a few in the LA/ Orange County area as well as online. I talked to many of the bootcamps but soon realized Redwood was the choice for me. The class size is small which I loved because I was already intimated coming in with such little experience. The professor to student ratio is perfect. In my cohort there were 3 professors and 15 students. There was always someone to answer your questions or help you catch up if you had fallen behind. The professors are amazing and willing to go the extra mile for students. If they could tell we were struggling they would hold extra study sessions after class and review the material as many times as we asked. Redwood goes above and beyond for their students. Not only do they provide an incredible curriculum that will prepare you for a job but they also give students an awesome learning enviorment. I would reccommend Redwood to anyone interested in pursuing a career in coding. It was the best decision I ever made!

• Lisa • Student • Student

This is a comprehensive review of Redwood Code Academy.

About me: before Redwood, I was a student looking to develop my understanding of programming so I could better contribute to an app development project at Stanford University. I specifically sought to increase my skills and understanding of front-end design using HTML and CSS, while simultaneously getting to know how code works. These goals, along with my schedule and financial situation, led me to take the part-time class at Redwood Code which runs in the evenings from 6:30 to 9:30PM.

Content/Course: the course is fast-paced! Do your homework and pay attention while the instructor talks. Billy, the lead instructor,  is very funny and personable and is there 24/7 to answer any concerns and issues. If you get stuck while he is lecturing, Taylor, another kind instructor, walks around the room to help debug and resolve any issues. Throughout the course you learn CSS, HTML, Java and more and the languages’ application in the real-world is tested in your homework. Homework ranges from review to challenges so you have plenty to do after class! You are provided with resources to review content before and after class and additional material to supplement your understanding, but as with all coding bootcamps, what you get is what you put out. The structure of the class goes from learning in lectures, a short break, to practicing in the lab time where you can do homework with guidance from the instructors. My advice: definitely come in with snacks on your break as it may get tiring at night, give yourself enough time to learn before and after class, and be patient! Learning a new skill is not easy, but with practice you will find yourself feeling more and more versed.

Instruction:

Billy and Taylor (did not experience Harrison) were generous, light-hearted and knowledgeable instructors, you felt at the same time safe and challenged asking questions, providing input, and also working in the class while doing the lab. I got to witness Harrison lead other classes and noticed his calm demeanor and confidence in teaching as well!

Community:

• You work in a small cohort

• There are many OC locals and everyone has a story, so you can always relate.

• Doesn’t feel too technical nor impersonal at this academy unlike some larger academies.

• There is always one-on-one help whether in-person or via a Slack channel.

• Billy was thoughtful to put a dongle on my desk every day knowing I had a Mac that only had a USB port.

• It is a very cool and chill working space-- I liked having the choice to work in the office spaces and classroom. There’s even ping-pong and VR for a mental break!

Job prospects:

• I wasn’t searching for a job, but I could see that the team here was intent on sourcing their students.

• There were side projects and hackathons suggested for students to develop their programming skills outside of the classroom for cash prizes, and portfolio and skill development.

Finances:

I was able to work on the Redwood Code Team as an intern, which reduced my cost of attending the part-time class. Harrison was very intent on providing an opportunity for me to learn despite my financial constraints.

• Ryan Beardshear • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate

Although it may be pricey to attend a bootcamp like this, if you are serious about changing or advancing in the world of code, a boot-camp like Redwood is exactly what you are looking for. It was challenging and frustrating at times but the great staff an instructor/owner, Harrison, are great teachers.

• Shawn Pridmore • Student

The teaching staff make every effort to make the material digestable for a novice. The structure of the curriculum and the small class size enabled us to move quickly and efficiently through dense subject matters. While the atmosphere is easy-going, the instructors will make sure you are challenged everyday.

• Sean Roe • Full Stack Developer • Student

The best advice I can give regarding making a decision about attending a bootcamp at all, or if this is the bootcamp for you: go to the website to get in touch with and meet Harrison, the lead instructor & founder to discuss what you are looking for, and to get a feel for his personality and experience.

Harrison is endlessly knowledgeable in a ton of technologies, computer science theory, programming concepts, and best-practices. His real-world experience really shows in our lessons, the curriculum, career prep, and his industry connections.

The assistant instructor, Billy, graduated from a bootcamp himself (General Assembly, LA). His bootcamp experience is incredible for us students, since he knows exactly what we are going through and how to supplement lessons when the class is struggling with a particular topic.

It will not be easy, but nothing worth doing is. Harrison will have prep work for you that is very helpful and much needed in preparation of the 12 week slam. Be prepared to do up to 70 hour weeks. I perosnally had around 65 hour weeks throught the bootcamp. It's as Harrison said to us many times, the bootcamp is like waking up and drinking from a firehose full of knowledge. There were a few times near the end of the 12 weeks in which I was told we would be going over a langue or two but never did end up getting the lecture or a one-on-one lesson.

I was a unique student in the cohort as my employeer had sponsored me to go to the camp. I had moved from several states away to attend a .NET camp. There are very few camps out there like this one and the market for .NET is ever growing. However Harrison made sure to make a point of whiteboarding and preparing us for the job interview and application process.

• A great experience
    - 12/28/2016
    Taylor • Graduate

If you're considering joining a bootcamp, I highly recommend Redwood Code Academy.

The amount of information and knowledge presented throughout the course is amazing. Post graduation and I'm still learning from it all. Sure, It was tough at times, but that's because I learned more in the three months attending than my previous two years of self teaching. And not only do you learn full stack development, but you also learn the stages of developemnt and the strategies used to ensure success. You'll learn how to assess a given project, choose a combination of technologies to build with, and move forward with the knowledge of how they connect to make the whole. There is a good amount of white boarding and both of the Instructors have the knowledge, patience, and tools to help you succeed in this journey.

• Great teachers
    - 12/27/2016
    Chris Ahumada • Student

Harrison and Billy are great teachers. Very knowledgeable. Learned a great deal with them. Just finished the boot camp. I am very confident that I will find a job very soon!

• Truly Knowledgeable
    - 12/23/2016
    Kwesi • Graduate

I attended Redwood Code Academy and received the knowledge needed to be successful as a developer. The instructors at Redwood Code Academy bring all to their knowledge to table. I enrolled having no exeperince at all in coding. Now that I've graduated knowing the lastest skills in development. I'm happy and confident moving forward. It was a struggle for me but the assistance and motovation I received got me through, I couldn't be more exicted and thankful about the opportunities ahead..

- 12/1/2016
    Jaime Torres • Student

I came into Redwood Code Academy with very little knowledge of coding. From start to finish it has been very challenging and fun. As the course has progressed, I have been able to build projects and understand each process.  Not only is the environment entertaining, and enriching, but it's helped me with real world skills as a Dev.

• Neil • Student

Having .NET in the curriculum and taught by someone with Harrison's experience is an amazing opportunity as well, since so few bootcamps teach .NET and because of .NET vs Ruby job openings in this area currently.

It will not be easy, but nothing worth doing is. I recommend doing some prep work on sites like Team Treehouse, but after a certain point during self-study, progress becomes too slow and that is when something more intensive and immersive is needed to drastically speed things up.

I'm not far into the job assistance phase yet, but we've already been introduced to top specialized recruiters in the area and have had great one-on-one meetings with the instructors, as well as white-boarding experience and interview advice (Harrison was director of ~100 developers and has a lot of experience being the interviewer).

• Miguel • None • Student

I took a course last year that taught the basics of front end development and I was able to get a job, but when I was working I realized that I needed more training, then I started looking for intensive courses (bootcamps) that will give me the skills to be a full stack developer, I was particularly interested in .Net and C# and that is how I found Redwood. Being now in my 4th week of the course I am glad I found this school, Harrison the instructor is an expert developer and champion of a few hackathons, he challenges us every day and we are acquiring the skills to perform well in a real job. Also the environment is good, Billy the other instructor is always there to help.  I will update this at the end of the course, but if you are looking to be full stack developer with .Net in the backend you definitely should consider redwood.

• Kyle • Student

**NOTE: I have updated this 5 months after graduation, original review below this**

So I am 5 months out of graduation. I have a job that pays roughly 50% more than before.

Was Redwood worth it? YES! For me, it was the only way for me to learn. I struggled being able to sit at home and teach myself.

Redwood does a good job at preparing you for the real world. You learn full-stack development, and have resources to help you out. The people you meet there are all amazing.

Should you take a course just to make more money? No. If you want to excel at Redwood and in the future, you need to make sure becoming a developer is what you want to do.

Post Graduation was a bit tough. Without prior dev work experience, it's not super easy to get a job even though there are tons of them. You need to work harder than you worked during the course to find a job. Network, apply to 100 jobs per wek, etc... It takes time. Without Redwood's training I would have never had the job I have today.

Some tips that I wish I followed:

• Code in your free time. The 3 projects you make should take up all your time. I spent 2-4 hours after class each night working on my project, and all my weekends. When not in a "project week" I suggest you either continue to learn on your own, learn something else, or start working on a side project. The more code you can have on your github, the easier it could be to get a job.
    • Network, Network, Network. Start going to meetups during after classes. Majority of open positions are filled by someones acquaintance.
    • Don't get down if no one respond to your job app. I got a bit depressed after 2 months of searching. Harrison at Redwood helped me out of it, and once I gave it 100% I was hired 2 weeks after that. Job searching should become your full-time job post-graduation. Spend 6-8 hours a day doing it. Oh, and did I mention you should be networking and going to meetups?

Redwood has the tools to make you a great developer, but you need to put in an effort to use the resources they offer. Slacking off, not trying, etc...will get you no where. You're paying a decent chunk of cash to attend and have them teach you, get all you can out of it. Don't squander it and expect them to snap their thumbs and make you a developer if you don't try.

This course will kick your butt. Let your family/significant other know that once this starts you need to dedicate your time outside class to learning/projects.

I'm extremely grateful for Harrison and Billy at Redwood. I would recommend the course to anyone who was interested in becoming a developer.

You can't go wrong with Redwood as long as you put in an effort - during the course and after graduating.

**ORIGINAL REVIEW**

Where to start? Over the last few years I've attempted to self-teach myself using Code Academy, Free Code Camp, The Odin Project and a couple of books. Most of them went the same way. Pickup the fundamentals, then at a certain point I hit a wall and don't know where to go. New concepts become to difficult to learn, and I can't figure out how to use what I learned in a real life situation.

I decided that enough was enough and enrolled at Redwood Code Academy. I was scared to apply to a first cohort, but after meeting Harrison I was sold.

Harrison (the owner and lead-instructor) knows his stuff, and is also very personable. Another reason I chose Redwood was that they teach .NET and C#. Not many bootcamps do this. Do a job search, do it right now. Search for "web developer." There should be a ton of .NET jobs at large companies. When I searched, I saw a significant amount of more jobs for .NET than ruby (what other bootcamps teach) or Node.

I've learned more in 2 weeks than all my self-learning combined and am actually understanding how to use this in real-life situations.

Is it frustrating at times? You betcha. But I knew this going into it. I would hit walls like I did when self-learning. The difference here is that Harrison and the TA (Billy) are extremely knowledgeable and I wouldn't be able to get past these hurdles without them there to explain things to me in more detail.

The culture is also a plus. Coming from a startup, this feels like home. It's that "work hard, play hard" culture, and Harrison does a great job at fostering that culture. Pepsi's stocked in the fridge (sorry all you Coca-Cola fans :P ), ping pong table that gets used every break, etc...

I 100% believe that after the 12 weeks I'll be able to find a job as a developer, and believe this is the best thing that's happened to me. In fact, this weekend I worked on some classwork. The big difference is that this weekend I couldn't wait to do some work. Before this weekend, I would have to force myself to work on code on weekends and considered it work - now I'm enjoying it.

Redwood Code Academy has been the gateway to infinite possibilities for me in the field of software development. I had no prior experience in anything having to do with computers. The course is intense, but that is because it is meant for people like me. Harrison, the instructor and founder of the academy, does an excellent job of making sure his student get a full-scope view of how these full stack programs work and are related to each other. The environment he has built at Redwood is creatively stimulating and comfortable. You can really get things done and be productive there. It is safe to say that being a part of this cohort was one of the best decisions I ever made. Enrolling in the intensive at Redwood gives you the tools to succeed in any software development endeavor you set your mind to.