pursuit-logo

Pursuit

New York City

Pursuit

Pursuit offers 10-month intensive coding bootcamp courses in Android, iOS, and Full Stack Web development in Queens, New York. The Pursuit Core curriculum is structured to include 6 months of technical training, then 4 months of career readiness and job search assistance. Students are trained in entrepreneurship and networking, and with Pursuit Advance, graduates receive a structured 36-month support program with coaching, additional technical learning, and other individualized support. Programs have no upfront tuition, instead graduates who find a job earning $60,000 or more make a “pay it forward commitment” to give 12% of their salary for 3 years back to Pursuit. This policy enables adults from low-income and minority communities who are representative of the diversity of New York to learn to code. Pursuit Core cohorts are made up of at least 50% women, 50% African-American or Hispanic people, and 50% immigrants and they aim to have 60% of students without a 4-year degree.

Applicants should be needs-based and have the potential to succeed in a technical career. Strong candidates have a background in computer science or a related technical field. Selected candidates from the applicant pool will be invited to an in-person interview and problem-solving session led by engineers, experts, and other volunteers from the community. Then applicants must participate in a 2-day sample coding workshop.

Through Pursuit LevelUp, the school partners with companies to identify, recruit, and train their blue-collar and non-traditional workers to become software engineers upon completion of the bootcamp. Pursuit aims to train adults with the most need and potential to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, and become the next generation of leaders in tech.

Recent Pursuit Reviews: Rating 2.71

all (19) reviews for Pursuit →

Recent Pursuit News

Read all (6) articles about Pursuit →
  • Full Stack Web Development Nights/Weekends

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationNew York City
    A 12-month full-stack web development boot camp including technical training, professional skills development and job search assistance. Classes are Monday to Thursday 7 pm to 10 pm, and Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 6 pm.
    Tuition PlansUpon securing a tech job over with a salary over $60,000/year, you commit to paying 12% of your salary for three years.
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you don't get a tech job or make above the salary threshold, you won’t have to start paying.
    ScholarshipMetrocard scholarships available. Laptop loaners as needed for the duration of the program.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone. Need to be 18 or older, earn an annual salary of under $45,000, live in NYC metro area, committed to becoming a developer.
    Prep WorkAll materials for the application process are provided in advance.
  • iOS Application Development Daytime

Objective-C, iOS, Swift, SQL
    LocationNew York City
    A 10-month Full Stack Web Development boot camp including technical training, professional developmnet, career readiness and job search assistance. Classes are held Monday to Friday from 10 am to 6 pm.
    ScholarshipLimited number of metrocard scholarships available. Loaner laptops for duration of program, as needed.
    Prep WorkAll materials for the application process are provided in advance.

My experience in the coding program at Pursuit is mostly positive. The instructors are knowledgeable, patient, and committed. They gave us feedback on our code and really try to push us to succeed. The staffs are also supportive and helpful. Be prepared to work really hard in order to succeed in this program. Software development is a job that requires you to find resources and learn on your own, even after the program ends. Just doing the bare minimum won't get you far. You really have to be fully committed. I really appreciate that Pursuit hosts professional skills workshops weekly to help us prepare for interviews, DSA questions, and code challenges. These skills helped me land a job, right when the Core program ended.
  • Not for everyone
    - 7/11/2019
    JR  User Photo
    JR • Student Verified via GitHub

I started as 5.1 FSW Fellow in October 2018. Previous to Pursuit, I had very little experience with coding. I had to learn Javascript from scratch and often it felt a little overwhelming at the beginning. I would say instructors provided good lessons on key concepts and intricacy of JS well to someone who just started learning. It also helped the fact that instructors were also from bootcamp graduates who shared their own experience and strategy for studying with students. It does require students to be pro-active in seeking help and degree of self-learning outside of class instruction.

Program is not an easy journey for sure. You will have to sacrifice your social life, financial freedom and any other distractions to do well in this program as materials that you will learn will sound very foreign to you at first and takes a lot of effort to understand. I saw some students failing to keep up but they were usually the ones who failed to seek resources for help or failed to keep themselves motivated to code beyond assignments. You won't do well unless you develop genuine passion for coding and creating.

If someone asks me if I would ever go through Pursuit again to get my education, then my answer is yes. Not only I built skills necessary to start a career in tech, but I also met great people who really provided sense of community and support, including fellows, instructors, and outside mentors.

• Overall Experience:

Disclaimer: I am writing this as a former applicant that made it to the final round of inteviews but was ultimately not accepted for this program, so this review is about the admissions process I experienced. I also find it highly suspect that this school changed their name from "Access Code" to Pursuit shortly after another reputable school started a more credible program that also has "Access" in its name.

After a submitting my application online, I was invited for an in-person interview and logic and math evaluation at C4Q's campus in LIC, Queens. Class is located in a relatively isolated part of the city full of renovated warehouses, one of which C4Q also calls home. The closest train station is about a 10-15 min walk away, which was pretty uncomfortable to do in business casual clothes in 90 degree weather. Nevertheless, after getting lost a few times I eventually made it. I waited with a large group that was split into 2, the first half taking the written logic + math examination while the others were interviewed and given an oral/spoken logic test that were encouraged to "talk through" with our interviewers.

Witnessing the herd of mass interviews and logic tests occurring at several tables dispersed neatly in symmetrical rows along a packed room was probably the most dystopian thing I've seen in awhile. I don't think interviews could get more impersonal than that. Either way, I made it through to the third and "final" round in which we were given a 2-day crash course in Javascript led by TAs who were program alumni.

My TA's body language screamed that he did not want to be there, almost as his being there was part of a compulsory obligation upon completing the program. Half the time he wasn't even in the classroom and was out talking to his friends in the hallway, eating snacks or both. When he was in the classroom, a majority of the time he was on his phone texting or scrolling through facebook or instagram and was more or less mentally checked-out unless it came time for us to do our team projects in which we were split into groups of two. TAs evaluate us on our "teamwork", so therefore they need to pay attention to how we perform in groups. Other than that, he wasn't terribly involved. Other tables' TAs took an active part in the lecture and were much friendlier, helpful and attentive. During one of the teamwork modules, when he stopped by to check in on our progress and I had a question about a bit of code I was confused about he had the audacity to say "Are you asking me a question?" Yikes. Afterwards, during evaluations, I was told that I needed to ask more questions which hardly seemed fair. I did ask the instructor a few questions during lecture, however our TA wasn't there to take this into account since he wasn't even in the classroom.

C4Q Access Code is specifically geared towards minority, underrepresented and immigrant students within the low-income bracket. Because of this, there is no upfront cost or tuition until you complete the program and are offered a high-paying job at the rate of $60000 or more (the average salary for graduates is $85000).Upon completion and hiring, you're obligated to pay 12% of your salary for THREE YEARS. That is 3x longer and more money than any other coding bootcamp. They boast that the average salary for program alumni after hiring is $85000, of which 12% is $10200. That amount for three years is about $30600 total.

$30600 total for about $15000 of comparable training at a different school. Think about that. For a program that caters exclusively to the lower-income demographic while expecting enrollees to quit their full-time jobs to commit a 10-month full-time program without any other financial assistance, this seems almost predatory. Other schools often also have no upfront cost with scholarships/financing plans for low-income or underrepresented students and probably an even more established, robust alumni network which leads to better job search support.These programs also have less of a time commitment and if they do require a portion of income after program completion with no upfront tuition, it is generally 10% for one year as opposed to three.

C4Q's mission is noble, and I certainly wish them the most success and thank them for the opportunity to interview for their program. However, that being said, there is certainly some room for improvement with their admissions process which I hope the program will take into consideration-

1.) Better program management is sorely needed with admissions. It's great that C4Q has an open policy for diversity and inclusion and I commend them for taking an active stance on closing the race and gender gap in tech. However, there's only so many people you can accept (and also physically have within the walls of your  campus during interviews!) The fact that they were still interviewing more people for round one while our group had already made it to round two only added insult to injury. This also made things feel crowded and somewhat chaotic as there was plenty of confusion between groups of applicants. It almost seems as though they extended the application deadline and brought so many people in for interviews *just* so they could make the 10% admissions rate.

2.) TA training and evaluation should be on-par with applicant evaluation. Perhaps at the end of the second and final Javascript test, there should be a prompt for applicants to evaulate their TA's performance and helpfulness in comparison to other tables' TAs. I would have certainly had some comments, even if this section would have been optional. Perhaps TAs should be alumni who actually *want* to be instructors, and a TA position could be something like an apprenticeship before becoming a program lecturer. This could certainly weed out unmotivated TAs like the one my group had and also lead to a more positive overall experience for all parties involved.

3.) Be transparent about overall program costs and take into consideration the loss of income students will face should they choose to enroll. If other potential applicants actually looked at the bigger overall picture and total costs many would think twice. Transparency in post-completion hiring statistics and how funding is used would also be appreciated.

Overall, it wasn't too terrible of an experience and I recommend anyone considering applying to this program to go for it but with ample research. I hope that with my feedback, the application and interview process will improve for future applicants.

• Steph • iOS Apprentice • Student

This program was great for me! I learned enough about iOS to land an apprentice position. Along with this, the program helped me prepare for interviews by giving me resume and cover letter assistance, mock interviews, and DSA practice. That being said, they can only bring you so far. If you are expecting them to hand you a job (which they get as close as possible to doing with their company partnerships) then you will have a hard time getting out of your own way. If you are committed to doing your best, remembering that you are surrounded by people that want you to succeed, then you increase your chances of finding a job. If you are of the mindset that you deserve things that you have not put effort into, I suggest you look into another route to success.

• Abed • Intern at Uber • Student

I started in October of 2018 as a full stack web days fellow. The program was well paced technically with lots of behavioral and other non-technical skills practice (resumes, cover letters, linkedIn etc).

There was a lot of technical support from instructors, TAs, volunteers and alums. I would say there was more than enough support. The program managers really helped push a lot of fellows to stay on top of their technical and non-technical tasks. The program managers were really awesome and worked really hard to give you all the support you needed to be successful.

There were a few team projects with one big capstone project that we presented towards the end. During this project we got to implement all the technologies were learned in the program (react, redux, express, postgress, passport etc) and we learned some more specifically for this project (Google maps api, Stripe payment processing, Websockets). We also got to practice public speaking quite a bit and learned a lot of presentational skills. The project culminated with a tech leaders from big companies.

There was A LOT of whiteboarding practice from early on. You can never have enough whiteboarding practice but I think we came pretty close. The job process was very well structured. We practiced dsa in the morning, worked on job applications before and after lunch and worked on white boading in the afternoon. You could always schedule a mock interview with a staff member or a volunteer engineer. I fully took advantage of mock interviews with engineers from Uber, Google, Twitter, Q (managed by Q) and others. And it paid off.

Pursuit also has a lot of partnerships with major companies which hire Pursuit fellows through these partnerships. These companies include Citi Bank, Twitter, Uber, Sinequa, Republic and others. I got an internship position at Uber through this kind of partnership. Pursuit also has a lot of other initiatives with companies and local organizations to place Pursuit fellows in companies looking to hire diverse candidates with non-traditional background.

Overall, it was a great experience for me. The sense of community is really strong. Everyone is really welcoming, kind, sweet and generous. I feel very lucky to be part of this community.

I did a lot of research before getting into the program and no other such program comes close. This place really believes in its mission and staff work really hard to give people with high need and potential a real shot at making it in the tech world.

• CM • Teacher • Student

There are much better bootcamps. Your time could be spent gaining a paycheck or going to a real school. This training program puts you in a room and tells you to google things to make your code work.

Yes, people have success with this bootcamp but there are many problems from leadership to organization to curriculum all the way down to the smallest details (disorganized off-hour tutoring, forcing the fellows to take out the trash, ect.)

The only saving grace are the students who are in the trenches with you and the instructors. Those instructors and students that are there for all the right reasons are good people. The rest of the program really isn't worth it. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

This place is going down fast. Pre-COVID, they were barely providing adequate learning and getting their grads hired. Now, COVID is exposing all their weaknesses. They didn't have enough donations coming in to maintain the program and the pandemic is making that worse. They furloughed a lot of the staff and cut the pay of the rest. They cut off all alumni from all career services because they are running out of money to operate. Only currently enrolled students are receiving services. So Pursuit promised career support that they couldn't actually sustain. It's pretty obvious this place was barely operating in the black. Now they're deep in the red.

If this place decides to switch to remote learning, my advice to potential students is DON'T DO IT. I went to in-person classes and I could barely get help when I needed it. It's going to be worse for remote learning because it will be easier for Pursuit to ignore you. The ISA was not worth it before and it definitely will not get your money's worth now.
  • The prcoess
    - 6/21/2020
    Anonymous • Applicant
    This is a review from an applicant that was accepted but ultimately turned it down.

The process starts off by submitting an online application. Which to their credit it pretty thorough. They want people who take their time with answering questions. I remember my answers were a paragraph per question. Then you get an email for a testing day. On the testing day you take a 45min logic test, then you are interviewed by two people in the tech industry. They ask you a few questions about your background and why your interested in tech, if your a very tech person. I talked about loving call of duty and using google maps as part of my daily life. They then follow up with a logic test you have to walk them through as your trying to solve it. If you make through that, you are then invited to a two day, 8 hours a day, boot camp, where they give you an introduction to the basic of JS. You work in pairs and groups most of the time, and they give you a assignment to do at home in between days. After the 2nd day of coding , they give you a test to see how much you’ve learned. It’s not graded but I think they want to see how well you are at retaining information. You then get a follow up email thanking you for your time etc. once accepted, they send you every detail you need, including the ISA( income share agreement). That’s where they break down EVERYTHING. THEY ARE NOT PLAYING WITH THEIR MONEY. They have different sceneries of what’s to happen if you get a job, lose a job, promotion, bonus,  everything for 3 years, and that’s where they lost me. I was seeing posts about you could pay upwards of 30k, which is a realistic figure considering out thorough they are, and that wasn’t something I was looking forward to considering I’m raising two kids and every dollar counts.

Overall, it was a good and fun experience. They are extremely nice, and encouraging. There are a lot of options with boot camps now a days, all I can say is do you hw. I am currently in one, which I get 1-1 mentorship with someone in the industry, so it really depends on what your looking for m and what your planning on doing after graduation.
    There is no set curriculum for this program and classes/instruction are created on the fly. Pursuit's only business model is to steal your money. That 12% pay it forward plan is pre-tax and can be upwards of $1000 from your paycheck every month. There have been students struggling to pay this off and Pursuit has just sat there threatening to sue these students. DO NOT GO HERE. There are plenty of bootcamps in NY that have the same pay it forward plan that aren't trying to run you dry of thousands of dollars for years. Take the positive reviews on here with a grain of salt. There are definitely staff members writing fake reviews trying to delude readers that Pursuit is a legitimate establishment.
    • not a safe space--they allow sexist people to enter and no training on social awareness or sexual harassment
    • the organization only sees students as money, they do not help previous students
    • staff is not diverse
    • staff is extremely understaffed so they do not care about you and the 4 years of career advancement after graduating is a disappointment because there is none!
    • when students cheat they lie to other companies about their capabilties
    • the staff ignores students who are sexist or racist because they do not care or know how to handle it
    • at the end of the job hunting process you are by yourself

all the "good" reviews are asked/begged from staff to students

please go to a better boot camp this is not worth your money. pursuit is not a real bootcamp, there is no license or cerfication at the end.

I had an amazing learning experience at Pursuit, I went from working in retail to having an app in the app store! The instructors and staff are super helpful. They have great knowledge and supported me through the course of the program.

• Humiliating
    - 6/2/2019

This experience was pretty humiliating, after losing relationships, money, sleep, other opportunities on a promise, you are mostly ignored if you are not a top performer from the onset. Staff will use you at will to continue to sell the organization to vulnerable people, all the while being super secretive about next steps in your existing relationship with the organization.

It's a super hostile environment for no good reason and can get unbearably uncomfortable. I have second thoughts and regrets and I do feel like they pulled a big one over on me and my classmates.

Someone on here or yelp mentioned the google forms. GOSH the google forms the bane of a pursuit students enrollment. Oh how they use google forms to decieve partners and fellows!

Honestly, it was the most exhausting 10 months of my life. Quality of education varies between nights and weekends vs day time students. Students confronted staff about this over and over and we were basically shrugged off. The ISA is a sham. If you already have student loans from pursuing a college degree or have any other significant loan payments or debt already attached to your name - don't come here! Their agreement is incredibly predatory and immoral. They claim to want to help those from marginalized communites rise themselves up and out of poverty - but not before getting their cut to pay off their debt to their investors. They're relying on applicants to overlook the fact that they want 12% of your annual salary AFTER taxes. So they want a percentage of your income that you don't actually take home. It's a huge hit to your wallet and there is no bootcamp on EARTH that is this much money. It really isn't worth it. Teach yourself, go to meetups for networking, you don't need Pursuit. They're scam artists masquerading as a non-profit.