product-school-logo

Product School

Austin, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Denver, London, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Orange County, San Francisco, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Toronto

Product School

Product School was founded in 2014 and offers 4-week and 8-week, part-time product management courses to professionals in a live online classroom. The curriculum contains a mix of practical, hands-on projects; group activities; and real-world case studies with a focus on highly relevant skills needed for the next generation of software product leaders. Product School students learn how to build digital products from end-to-end, lead cross-functional teams, and land their next product job or promotion. Courses are taught by senior-level product managers who work at technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Netflix, Airbnb, PayPal, Uber, and Amazon. Classes are held in the evenings or on weekends to ensure that both instructors and students can maintain their full-time jobs.

To apply, candidates should fill out an online application form. Graduates may be eligible to receive industry certificates in Product Management, such as PMC™, PLC™, and PEC™. Product School prepares students for product management interviews to enable them to expand their professional network through access to a private community of over one million product professionals, including alumni, mentors and hiring managers from top technology companies.

In addition to training for individuals, Product School delivers custom product training to Fortune 500 companies seeking to upskill their existing teams or onboard new talent. Committed to building a product management community, Product School has published the Amazon bestseller, The Product Book, and hosts over 1,000 free events per year, The Proddy Awards, and ProductCon, the largest multi-city conference in the world for product managers.

Recent Product School Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (194) reviews for Product School →

Recent Product School News

• Product Executive Certificate™

OnlinePart Time4 Weeks
    We offer different funding options to make financing your learning easy!
    Choose from interest-free monthly installments, or spreading the cost up to 36 months.
  • Product Leadership Certificate™

• Product Management Certificate™

Tuition PlansDifferent payment plans available
  • Anonymous • Associate Product Manager • Graduate

Awesome Experience! Carlos and Hamid did a great job of drilling the Product Manager fundamentals into my head.  I am confident now that I can walk on to any product mangement team within an organization and make a difference.  In addition, the course educates you on a variety of tips and tricks for getting a product management position!

• Donnie Wang • Product Manager • Graduate

This class taught me how to validate and rapidly prototype my ideas and also to write technical specifications that could be handed to software engineers to develop. I had been a Product Manager before (in consumer goods, not software) and have worked as a Product Marketing Manager (works closely with PMs) so the topics covered were a little slow for me at first since most of the class came from zero Product Management or startup exposure, but eventually sped up and ended up being really fun and constructive once we got into the building phase.

I recommend it to friends looking to transition into Product roles all the time.

I took this class when Carlos (Founder) and Hamid (Co-Instructor) were teaching the same curriculum at General Assembly, prior to Product School launching. GA provided us little to no job support, but Carlos and Hamid themselves have consistently been there for me throughout my journey to help out in any way possible.

• Kevin Kantz • Founder • Graduate
    I just completed to Product School T/TH program and wanted to give a review for people considering it.

I am a 40+ year old professional looking to make a career transition.  I have been a start-up founder recently and in my twenties so have managed products before but without all the process, frameworks and lingo used in startups today.  These were the missing elements in my own background I wanted to supplement and understand.

First, the staff.  The Founder is Carlos González de Villaumbrosia, and he is very experienced and super-friendly.  There is another instructor as well, but Carlos was mine.  The classes had a very informal collegiality but we didn't mess around.  All the students were attentive to the material and Carlos made this easy by being well prepared, interactive and generally very likable.  Other members of the staff were friendly and competent.  Michael Duchen in particular went out of his way to be helpful in reviewing and revising my resume with a skilled eye and insights.

One caveat on staff.  Some of the classes are taught by visiting lecturers.  I believe we had 3 and each one was outstanding.  They were all very experienced and added tremendous insight with stories about challenges, successes, characteristics of startups in different phases, etc...  Guys like Nik Laufer-Edel @Udemy, Carlos Jiminez @Trov, and Kevin Lee @AltSchool.  I learned so much from these guys!

Second, the curriculum.  Recognize that the program was 2 nights a week including dinner.  It is not a 9-5pm submersive.  At first it felt like some of the issues were covered at too high a level.  But then you really get into some of the subjects in additional readings and the "side project" each student is working on.  For example, we covered some high level prototyping elements, but much of the real learning came in applying the concepts in Balsamiq and Invision, 2 of the top tools available and frequently used in Bay Area startups.  Overall, I think the curriculum covered the ground well and segued nicely into a job search element covering resume, interview and product presentation.  It was all very valuable stuff

One caveat on the curriculum.  We covered Agile, again, at a high level.  This was an area where I felt most employers would require a more robust education.  It's clearly beyond the scope of the Product School, however.  I supplemented the Product School with a Certification as a Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) at Agile Learning Labs, which was outstanding.

Second caveat on the curriculum.  If you have little to no programming skills, The Product School gives you access to programs like OneMonth.  I bolstered my skills strongly during this period and was then able to have productive conversations with classmates around ruby, git, heroku and other key areas in the engineering domain.

Third, the students.  In my class there were a mix of engineering skills from none to robust.  Some people played a product management role already. One was a Scrum Master (engineering focused) and wanted to broaden her skills.  Some people were paying their own way and some were paid for by their companies.  In all, a good mix of people.  Everyone I met was friendly, inquisitive and eager to learn.  When it came time to present side projects I was blown away by some of the great ideas!  There was a lot of talent there.  We have already established a group to stay connected and I believe these folks will be an important part of my network going forward.

In summary, I found the experience extremely valuable.  I am currently pursuing a side-project using the skills and frameworks I developed at Product School while simultaneously looking for a Product Management role at a funded (series A+) startup where I can add significant value.  I highly recommend the Product School to anyone looking to upskill or transition roles or career.
  • Dinesh • Graduate

I took the 8-week Product Management course at Product School and have very positive feedback for anyone looking to take the course. Carlos was an extremely intelligent and knowledgable instructor who deeply cared about his students success. With the help of Product School I was able to get multiple job offers within just a few weeks after graduation. The consultation that was given to me during my interview process was priceless.

• Medha Ghatikesh • Student

This course covers everything you need to know about Product Management to jumpstart your PM career.
    It covers the absolute fundamentals of a PM role such as writing solid product specs, creating wireframes and interactive prototypes, developing personas, market sizing, A/B testing, metrics, product marketing, etc. But it doesn't just leave you there - they also teach you how to apply for PM jobs, how to position yourself as a PM, and help you prepare for interviews. They can also make intros to the companies they work with.

The best part is that it isn't all theory - you get to apply everything you learn every week to your own side project, and the instructors provide VERY DETAILED, brutally honest feedback to help you learn and improve over the course of 8 weeks.

The instructors teaching this course are SOLID. They are product managers by profession so they use real life examples to explain PM concepts, have relevant silicon valley PM experience, have exceptional teaching styles, and are very keen to help you excel in the course. TIP: With this course, you get as much as you put in to it. If you passively attend classes and leave the homework assignments incomplete, you will not learn very much. So take notes actively, apply everything you've learnt, ask tons of questions and give it all you've got!

I took the 8-week Product Management for Engineers weekend course and found it extremely beneficial. Both Hamid and Carlos are very energetic, experienced and encouraging and this helped me push myself outside the comfort zone and chase what I'm really passionate about! We got to learn about a number of tools that I can immediately start using without requiring coding experience such as Balsalmiq, Invision, Roadmunk.  We got to interact with guest speakers with an entrepreneurship drive who took on risky products, and the lessons they learnt along the way. I really enjoyed learning about many of the 'soft' skills needed to be a great PM, this is something that you don't get to experience by reading a PM book or from a typical theory class. While working on a side project, I got to learn about key ingredients required to build a new feature or product, including how to be extremely focused and prioritize on key features, how to ship an MVP out quickly, track metrics, then rinse-n-repeat. All in all, it's one of the best courses I've taken and I'm already recommending it to my friends and family.

Product School is a great place to learn about product management, be a better PM, and get a job as a PM. First, Product School helps students with finding a PM job. Secondly, the class sizes are small, which means more hands-on mentorship from the instructors and mentors. Third, the selection process for the courses creates a great environment -- the students are highly-motivated and are high-achievers which fills the classroom with an unmatched energy.

• Saket Jain • Sr. Business Analyst • Graduate
    I attended Product School in early 2015, and it was one of the best decisions I made to advance my career. I was reluctant to make this decision but there was something about the curriculum that caught my eye. It covered several aspects of Product Management in which I was inexperienced at. I met Carlos in one of the meetups hosted at The Vault. He is a lanky guy with a thick accent. I made my first mistake by judging this book by its cover. I was questioning his abilities as a teacher without even giving him a chance. I was wrong. I am glad he proved me wrong. There were several reputed professionals who took over various aspects of the class, but Carlos turned out to be better at teaching than anyone else. Carlos is a young, confident and experienced entrepreneur, making an impact in this industry with his unique methods of teaching. Anyone looking to hone their PM skills should give Product School a shot, its worth it.
  • Laura • Product Manager • Graduate
    I highly recommend taking this class if you are transitioning to Product Management or brushing up on the latest Product trends. It offers a very practical and experiential learning approach that really prepares you for real-world challenges. The instructors come from a variety of backgrounds in large and small startups, so you get the best of both worlds and learn to apply techniques from people who run top products and are entrepreneurs themselves. Carlos and Hamid have a rare gift for teaching and are very enthusiastic about each topic. Their class is super engaging and they keep the students inspired to learn and work on their own projects. I took the class from 6:30-9:30 pm after work, and it was so exciting and intense that I would come out invigorated rather than tired! Carlos and Hamid are also extremely dedicated to the needs of the students and go beyond what's expected to offer you the tools to succeed. We got free access to commonly used online tools, they provided reading lists, lists of blogs & experts to follow, and recommended sites to continue learning about product management. They also invited a variety of experts to give talks and encouraged us to attend hackathons and conferences. Product School also offers a wide network with immense value. Carlos and Hamid are great mentors and are always happy to introduce you to new opportunities. They made themselves available throughout the program and afterwards; it's been a year since I took the class and I still continue to receive support from them! Many of my classmates have now started their own companies or started working as Product Managers shortly after finishing the class.
  • bruce • product manager • Graduate

I found Product School on MeetUp, and my first reaction was “wow, they’re doing that in North Beach in SF??!!”  It was just what was on my mind, so I went to the free intro night and started thinking. It was like having cold water thrown in my face- all this practical info explained in a very street-smart, passionate way by Carlos.  I was impressed by his intensity and accomplishments, but also his honesty. “NO, it is not easy transitioning to a PM. You have to do many things and learn many things.” So I jumped in.

My perspective: unlike many of the students who come here, I have not been working as a sftwr developer in the web/mob/SaaS space. These are the ideal target for this class. I am a general hw/sftwr engineer who has a lot of experience doing mrktg/biz dev , so my perspective might be different. But since I want to be in that space as a PM, it seemed like a pretty good fit. I was sure it would be useful.

• It is fun, fast and furious: There are guest speakers who really know their stuff. Impressive people who are really doing it, have recently gained their success through hard work. It is nothing like a UC extension course. I didn’t do a lot of cost comparison, but it seems like a good deal compared to general assembly.
    • You will get so many pointers and links to interesting resources. I wanted to read everything, but it isn’t possible.
    • Be prepared for really direct feedback. Like “that answers sucks”. Not easy to hear this stuff, but that is what I paid for.
    • Carlos is a good presenter and his feedback and the practice presentation sessions were good.
    • The side project takes some real time, more than I expected. If you want to get more out of the course, invest time early and try to take some PTO so you can get ahead of the curve on this.
    • You get free access to web/mob prototype tools like Balsamic, Justinmind, Invision.
    • Learning about growth hacking and advertising/retargeting and the acquisition to revenue market cycle.
    • The resume feedback sessions were really good, and the mock interviews were damn good. I have never seen anything like this. We met people from Linked-In and other smaller companies.
    • At the end we met a few companies that have a relationship with product school, and we had little short discussions with them on the last day of class, which they call product day
    • You can connect with the guest instructors and Carlos and other people through the meetups that follow and continue after the class
    • In keeping with Agile thinking, the course will be evolving and changing quickly. So the course you take will be a bit different (and probably better) that what I took

You are sure to learn a lot and have fun. But to land a job afterwards takes a lot of work during the course and tons of work afterwards.   I’m happy I took the course.

• Great PM course
    - 5/28/2015

It's incredible what the team at Product School have put together. The material they teach you here is the most relevant and top notch information you can get. They key is the real-world experience of the instructors and the high quality and interest of the students that get accepted into the program.

You really get what you put into Product School, and if you are not giving it your all to understand the material and do your homework, you will have a hard time in this program. If Product School sees that you are not able to make the cut, they will remove you from the program. This has happened to multiple people in my time here, so bring your 200%!

Furthermore, I was pleasantly shocked by the level of support Product School gives its graduates after finishing. They are continuously sharing interesting job offer and other recruiting events. The team network is incredibly strong, with contacts at every major tech company in the Bay area.

Product School provides an environment where I've been able to grow and work with some the greatest product managers I've ever met. As Product School continues to grow, they will probably have to work hard to keep such a great high bar for students and instructors.

Product School takes feedback from its students every week. As such the curriculum and logistics of studying there are constantly being tweaked. This means that each cohort should be getting a slightly improved experience from the last. I certainly think that's true.

Having said that, I would certainly recommend the program to any of my friends who wanted to break into product management. By far the most innovative and effective educational experience I've come across.