Prime Digital Academy
Prime Digital Academy offers an intensive, 20-week full-stack coding bootcamp and an 18-week UX design bootcamp in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Working directly with Twin Cities tech employers, Prime Digital Academy has created programs that equip emerging engineers and designers with the skills they need to make immediate contributions. Prime students learn modern technologies, practical methodologies, and critical behavioral skills through carefully crafted curriculum and real-world projects for pro-bono clients in the community. Prime’s immersive programs empower learners from diverse backgrounds to begin their new careers in months, not years.
Prime’s full-stack engineering course prepares students with the skills and hands-on experience to develop complex software to solve businesses problems. Prime’s user experience design curriculum prepares students with professional practice in research, design and prototype software that is usable and meaningful. Prime graduates have been hired by nearly 200 companies in Minnesota, and the tight-knit learning community continues long after graduation, with students participating in mentorship, community education and ongoing alumni career support.
Recent Prime Digital Academy Reviews: Rating 4.87
Recent Prime Digital Academy News
- April 2019 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup
- How to Get Work Experience Before You Graduate from Coding Bootcamp
- September 2016 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup + Podcast
In PersonFull Time65 Hours/week20 Weeks
Deposit $1500 Financing Tuition Plans Pay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7 Scholarship $500 scholarship to student of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota, Minneapolis, and St. Paul grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work 6 Weeks of required, flipped-classroom study and prep assignments. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $15,500 Class size 22 Location MinneapolisPrime’s 18-week immersive User Experience Design program was crafted to help people with interests in design, organization and technology build the foundational skills to start a career in user experience. Prime works hand-in-hand with industry employers to ensure that graduates are ready for the challenges of building complex experiences that are valuable for businesses and resonate with users.
Deposit $1500 Financing Tuition Plans Pay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7 Scholarship $500 scholarship to each person of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota and Minneapolis grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work 6 Weeks of Online Pre-Work Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
Prime Digital Academy Reviews
104 reviews sorted by:
- Wish I Did This Sooner!- 8/21/2019Julie Zembik • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via GitHub
Prime was a great experience! They have a solid foundation of teaching, encouraging you to be independant while learning a skillset, and improving your soft skills! I graduated in March 2019 and I wish I did this sooner!
The environment at Prime Digital Academy is very supportive and their door is always open to you. They want you to succeed in many ways. Along with teaching you the MERN stack, they help with soft skills like public speaking, paired programming, code reviews, and livesolves. They also have great career development opportunities such as inviting recruiters to come help review your resumes, have working Alumnis and outside industry personnel come volunteer their time to be your mentors, hosting intimate seminars about various techs, and at graduation, host a career day to have you speak with Tech Recruiters! There is support after graduation too!
Going through Prime Digital Academy might not be for everyone as it's fast paced and if you prefer a more traditional form of learning, this may not be right for you.
- Amazing Experience!!!- 7/19/2019Konou Vang • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Kansas City • Verified via GitHub
Enrolling into Prime Digital Academy Kansas City has truly the best decision I have made in my life. Today was graduation and I was happier today than I was when I received my Bachelors or my Masters. Words cannot sum up the value of what I learned, not just coding but personally as well. Now that I got my personal feeling about this program out of the way, I want to dive into what I have learned technically.
I built a full stack fully functional application that incorporates AWS that I use in my business. I then worked in a four member team to build a fully functional application to serve a client's need that incorporated the use of Google Calendar API and Twilio API! That's TWO APPLICATIONS that are in use! How many bootcamps can claim that?! That's just a part of the professional technical skills they teach. They also work on speech using the Toastmaster's method and taught us how to fail so that we can succeed. I'm not going to lie when I say that I don't get nervous to present in front of a crowd, but failing in front of my peers allowed me to succeed on the big presentation day.
Prime Digital Academy is the embodiment of Furious Learning. The instructors make sure that we are emotionally ready to learn, they lecture, and then give us assignments to reinforce and retain the information. It's not a joke when I say that you could be spending 60 to 80 hours a week on the accumulation of those assignments and weekend challenges.
I can only give the staff 5 stars but I wish I can rate them higher because they gave up 110%. Truly amazing people!
Prime might not be for everyone but when you put in the time and effort, it will change your life.
- Best Decision I've Ever Made- 7/19/2019Austin Burgard • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Kansas City • Verified via GitHub
Prime is amazing and the best decision I've made in my professional life.
Prime is a full-time, intensive program. It doesn't fit everybody's learning style or life situation. As I began to look into software engineering I was uncertain about many of the options in Kansas City. I was even more wary of my online options, not because they aren't good (I have no experience with them) but because of my learning style.
I came across Prime while doing research on local programs and I set up an appointment that forever changed the trajectory of my life. This program is not easy. The instructors will push you to the point of failure. I wish I would've known that because then it would've made my first few weeks a bit more bearable. But it's when you get to the point of failure that you're ready to learn.
The instructors take massive amounts of personal time to help whenever there is a question but you have to be willing to ask. You can't get help until you put your pride away and ask. They bring in tech companies from the community, they teach how to speak, and they enable us to do real projects that help real clients.
I loved the cohort I was in. We all came from diverse backgrounds and that enabled us to work well together. There were times of friction, as in any group, but we rallied and encouraged each other to press on and now we're graduating.
Prime cares deeply for its students. I have never encountered a more helpful and loving group of people. One of the major positives is that they don't leave you after you graduate. They stick by your side and keep you accountable. They give you all the tools you need to succeed and are by your side every step of the way.
Prime not only made me into a software engineer but they helped me to grow as a person. I was pushed like never before, I wanted to quit on day 2, but I trusted the system and I'm incredibly thankful I did. I'm forever grateful to the wonderful people at Prime KC. They're amazing people, instructors, and friends.
- "Prime Is Real"- 5/21/2019Ben Pollack • UX/UI Designer for Thomson Reuters • Graduate • Course: User Experience Design • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
That was a quote from one of my cohortmates. Prime really is the best decision I could have made to transition my life as an adult switching careers. Before this program I was working paycheck to paycheck doing dead end retail and food service jobs. Having a degree in Grpahic Design, I understood the WHAT of design but Prime really teaches the WHY of design. The instructors, Ange and Kyre and Bryce, are so knowledgeable and really have your back. All of the staff at Prime are helpful and truly want you to succeed. The comeraderie amonst cohortmates and staff is unparalleled. One motto that seems to permeate through the entire schooling is "we all succeed as long as EVERYONE succeeds". One thing I had heard about bootcamps was the cut-throat nature of them. Prime is the direct opposite of that. Even alumni students truly WANT you to succeed. The program is intense, long hours, but so well worth it. I was able to find a job right away (in fact I got the job offer the day of graduation) and the staff is so helpful in finding something that is right for each student.
- Best choice for my career!- 7/3/2018Sarah B. • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
Prime was one of the best decisions of my career. I went from having no coding experience to having a job as a software engineer in six months. I would defiantly recommend this program to anyone who is willing to put their time and all energy into learning code.
- Best choice I've made in my professional career.- 6/21/2018Jonny • UX Designer • Graduate • Course: User Experience Design • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
Prime helped give me the foundation I needed to become a UX Designer in the industry as well as networking and mentor opportunities.
If you put in the time and effort, you'll be rewarded.
The staff is invested in seeing you succeed and the instructors are awesome.
- If you're willing to put in the work - do it.- 6/11/2018Carina A. Lofgren • UX Designer • Graduate • Course: User Experience Design • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
Prime gives you a blueprint, building tools and all the consultation you can ask for. It is up to you what to do with it.
Prime is structured enough to give you an appropriate scope of the many facets of the UX process, but flexible enough to allow you to explore areas that interest you most.
Prime not only prepares you to be a UXer but also to be a competitive and knowledgeable candidate in the industry. If you put in the work, there will be results.
I am happy to say two months after graduating I am happily employed!
Undoubtedly worth it.
- Life Changing- 11/2/2017Eric Austin • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
I don't know how else to describe it.
In 20 weeks I went from being a competent computer user to designing and writing fully functional computer programs.
Trust the curriculum, trust the instructors, trust the staff. They all want to see you succeed.
I would recommend this program to anyone.
- Prime is the real deal.- 6/16/2017Lisa Schoofs • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
If you’re in the Twin Cities and are serious about getting into software development, this is absolutely the place to go.
The people that come through the door here are great. The staff are amazing, and are genuinely invested in your success & well-being. I think your experience could vary a little bit based on the cohort you’re with and your primary instructors. I happened to hit the jackpot, and had a phenomenal group of people to learn alongside and instructors to learn from. We got a chance to interface with most of the instructors at some point during the program, benefitting from their various experiences & coding styles.
They do a great job of setting you up for success post-Prime. While you’re in school, they offer support on resumes, networking, LinkedIn, etc. They set you up with mentors in the industry. When you’re done with school, the support continues. Plus, you have a network of Prime grads that are happy to help others out with continued learning and connections.
If you think this might be the place for you, I’d definitely recommend stopping by for an open house or giving them a call. And/or just apply and see what happens. You won’t regret it.
- Create your future.- 6/10/2017Keith Tomlinson • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: Minneapolis • Verified via LinkedIn
Prime Academy was a life changing experience. It is a weird place, in beautiful way.
Every piece of Prime Academy is intentionally designed. The courses were designed by a true educator, someone who considers how people best learn and removes all pretense of formality focusing solely on the student's success.
It is a challenging experience and should only be entered into by people who are committed 100%. It takes everything you have, but the gains are massive.
Prime cares about its community and the impact those people will have on the greater world. This place knows that collaboration, not competition, is where the real joy exists. Relationships and soft skills are highly empasized. Get ready to be a seasoned public speaker!
I would start again tomorrow.
- Full Stack Software Engineering- 1/6/2021Jessie Conley • Senior Project Manager • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: MinneapolisPrime Digital Academy gave me the skills and experience I needed to take my career to the next level, in a more technical role as a project manager. The staff are dedicated and truly care about your success both during and following completion of the 20-week course. It's an intense program, but it is 20 weeks of your life vs. the rest of your career. I learned so much and made some great connections during my time at Prime. I highly recommend this program if you're looking to transition to a career in technology.
- Succinct Review- 10/14/2020Billy B. • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Engineering • Campus: MinneapolisI had a great experience at Prime Digital Academy. The instructors are knowledgeable, patient and assertive. They understand not everyone learns at the same pace and try to put the extra effort where is needed without dragging faster students behind. The facilities are well equipped with everything you need, including breakfast food and coffee, which you will need a lot. During the five months you'll feel a lot of pressure to keep up and learn everything in the curriculum but they have managed to find the balance where the pressure is not so much that it becomes counterproductive. In conclusion, I would recommend this program to anyone looking to learn how to code, you won't regret it.