practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Created by engineers from tech company Yandex, Practicum is a 30-46 week, online coding bootcamp offering tracks in Data Science, Data Analysis, and Web Development and aimed at sparking career change. Each bootcamp includes full access to an interactive online platform, real-life projects, tutor support from experienced developers, code reviews, online webinars, and live-coding sessions. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if a student doesn't secure a position within six months of graduating, Practicum guarantees to refund their money.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma.

With an average employment rate of 71%, Practicum’s career acceleration program provides graduates with the competitive edge they need to succeed. From resume-building to job offer negotiation, Practicum supports their students and graduates every step of the way. Students graduate with professional certificates and portfolios with 6 to 15 projects to show to potential employers. Practicum graduates have landed tech jobs at companies, such as Tesla, Accenture, Nielsen, and Microsoft.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (136) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Analytics , Data Structures, Data Visualization, Python, SQL
      Start Date October 28, 2021
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 28, 2021 - Online
    • Data Scientist

Start Date October 28, 2021
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 28, 2021 - Online
    • Web Developer

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL
      Start Date October 14, 2021
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 14, 2021 - Online
    • Jim • Accountant • Student
      I've always wanted to break into data analysis because it would be a great boost for my career. I did my research and decided to go with Practicum by Yandex. Going forward, I have no regrets! Currently, I'm in the middle of the Data Analyst program. So far, I like that Practicum has a good and detailed course structure. The material is well-written and easy to understand. There are 12 projects that become part of your portfolio once you finish. I completed 6 projects so far and I found them engaging. Of course, they were challenging, but believe it or not, this is the real deal. I'd also like to highlight the dedicated support team. My cohort is guided by a professional tutor and a very friendly community manager. Also, there's a senior student who makes sure that my questions and queries are answered promptly. I got lucky with my group mates, and it's a great feeling when you can discuss stuff with them. Every two weeks our tutor organizes live coding webinars where upcoming projects are explained and there's a Q&A session as well. At the end of the program, there's going to be the career acceleration part and I'm so excited about that. One thing that I'd like to say though is that the work of the platform could be improved because sometimes it can be slow. But it happens rarely and it gets fixed pretty quickly. The Practicum team are always improving the course and they are very open about the feedback they receive! They are there for you throughout the whole journey, so you won't feel alone! I highly recommend the Practicum by Yandex Data Analyst program if you're looking for new opportunities to kickstart a career in the field of data analysis.
    • Jason • Wood • Graduate
      I have been teaching high school English since I graduated from my university. A few years ago, I started to think about switching my career and seriously considered coding. The idea of building something from scratch and being beneficial to online businesses at the same time had been stuck in my head for some time. I chose data analysis because I wanted to challenge myself and see how my humanitarian mindset could perform in the analytical field.
      While researching different boot camps such as GA, Galvanize, Fullstack, I discovered Practicum by Yandex. I was impressed by the curriculum, study approach, and most importantly, the Career Acceleration Program upon graduation. And you get all of that for a very reasonable price. I graduated a month ago and am now taking part in the Career Acceleration program. The study process was great, as I managed to acquire all the needed skills for an entry-level job —Python, SQL, ML, working with databases, and building with them from scratch. In just six months, not only did I obtain those skills, I got to see how they are implemented.
      Currently, I've completed two mock interviews, provided by Practicum's team, and have built my professional portfolio, filled with the projects I had completed throughout the course. In fact, I already have several interviews with companies scheduled for next week, and I am beyond excited about what lies ahead.
      To sum it up, I would highly recommend Practicum to people who want to make a career change. Practicum works with you every step of the way, from helping you understand what coding is and how the industry works, to landing your first position.
    • Andrew Vegter • Student
      The intro course was very clear, very well made, and even fun. I only encountered one issue with while completing the intro course and the help chat was able to get me set correctly within minutes.
    • Irina • Student • Student
      I've been struggling to get into programming for several years and it hasn't been easy. Between a stressful job, traveling the world and inadequate study materials for beginners, I've often felt like programming is not for me, in spite of continuous encouragement from friends. Now that I've discovered Yandex, I feel way more confident that programming is indeed for me. The explanations are clear and logically structured, and you feel like you're actually getting it. Whereas before I felt like I was constantly running into unassailable walls, with Yandex I'm making progress all the time. It's an amazing feeling. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to switch careers.
    • Shradha Jain • Graduate
      I will be eternally grateful to Practicum for 'launching' me in data science field. Had I not done this bootcamp, I would have never managed to do so many projects, learn about so many different techniques and models which are widely used in the industry and not just data science related stuff but even general coding in python. I started this course because I did my bachelors in statistics so data science was a natural choice for me. Many students get placed in such roles so I thought that having done this bootcamp will give me an edge. And thanks to this course I changed my masters ( graduate degree) from statistics to computer science because I realised that I like coding much more than statistics. During this course we touched down on all aspects, statistics required, business value, working with text, time series, computer vision, sql queries in python, data mining using api and more. The tutors are there to solve your queries  regarding any topic, if life gets in the way and you cannot meet a deadline let your community manager know and they will help you out and also the community, you become a part of, helps you at every step! They also have a career acceleration program where they get you real world projects from companies which you can add to your resume.
    • Luke S • Student
      All around an amazing class! Highly recommend taking it and taking full advantage of your resources, including the tutor access, hosted events, and network. Practicum's long-form, flexible class structure allows for a work-class-life balance unheard of in most other bootcamps, in person or remote, at least based on the research I've done. While I was taking this course, I was able to land a full time job at a software company which has been amazing so far!
      My experiences learned from Practicum helped me tremendously with getting that job.
      During the interview, I was able to answer many questions I wouldn't have known the answers to.
      My job uses a lot of the same systems, programs, and conventions as Practicum and so the course gave me a great introduction to these topics.
      I was also able to do a mock interview (with a detailed review, and questions answered about software interviews!) with a Practicum employee that gave me a lot of great tips on what to focus on learning.
      There have been so many good things that I've been able to participate in and learn from because of this course, I recommend it very highly. 100% worth the cost!!

PROS:
      • Excellent learning platform, curriculum, and pointers to many helpful resources
      • Teaches up-to-date and relevant technologies
      • Responsive, kind, and helpful tutors, admin, and support staff who really care about their students success
      • Extremely flexible scheduling, extremely accommodating when "life stuff happens" (this has been a HUGE plus for many students from what I've seen)
      • Many live group and 1 on 1 discussions with tutors on various topics, and opportunities for Q & A
      • Project-based course keeps the student working on new and useful features consistently
      • Encourages and facilitates networking, group-ups, group events, pair and mob programming, personal and class project review, portfolio review
      • Honest about total cost; no extra material charges or subscriptions were required after initial up-front payment
      • Code review for each submitted project (there are 17 projects including the final project)

CONS:
      • Interactive lesson platform was sometimes down or buggy (though it worked the majority of the time)
      • Lecture-style teaching and live QA with tutor was only once for an hour every two weeks (not even a con for most people!)
    • Xiao Zhong • Student
      I started Practicum's free introductory web developer course as part of the Women Who Code X Practicum by Yandex scholarship and I absolutely loved it!

The platform is highly engaging and simulates a real work setting. I like how the theory part is followed immediately by a hands-on coding task as practice. I also like how the platform is linear - you cannot proceed to the next section/topic unless you finish all previous sections. This addressed my problem of unstructured self-study and puts me in a structured roadmap with the correct order of learning.

I also like the fact that the official program is organized in two-week sprints spanning a total of 10 months, with a  final project at the end of each sprint. I haven't gotten far enough to do any project yet, but knowing that I will be able to receive customized feedback from professional reviewers on my projects further motivates me to treat each project seriously.

The best part of my experience is the supportive Slack community and the live coding sessions/webinars hosted by tutors. This complements the self-paced study on the platform. Everyone I have interacted with so far - community managers Ramil and Iuliia, our tutor Nadya, and my fellow cohort-mates -  are absolutely amazing. I am looking forward to learning and becoming friends with everybody :)
    • Rohit Kumar • Student
      Before joining Practicum I tried various other platforms for web development and Came to know that entirely video based tutorials are not for me where I was just following along and get a little opportunity to learn. While the Practicum has it's own platform where you can learn and apply. later on you need to make the projects using the information you learned. The platform they are using is user friendly and very well maintained. I am currently a student and it looks promising so far. Their career support and community support is excellent throughout and I like the continuous feedback from members of the team, not to forget the code review process is quick and detailed so you can improve your work. I definitely Practicum recommend to anyone who wants to learn Development from scratch.
    • Ivy B. • Student
      Joining the Practicum by Yandex Data Science program was one of the best decisions I have made this year. Right from the introductory course to the full-time program, my entire experience has been excellent. The interactive learning platform contains relevant coursework accompanied with practical tasks. They even have interesting and funny messages that has kept me glued to learning on the platform. One of the things that stands out to me the most is the 24/7 technical support. Anytime I encountered challenges, the support team was always quick to help unblock me.

The people at Practicum are amazing! The community managers care a lot about student's progress and check in often. The tutors, instructors and senior students are very responsive and provide helpful feedback to students via the Slack community and webinars. The program is project-oriented so I get to complete at least one real world project for my portfolio. I also love that the Practicum team is very open to receiving feedback and are constantly looking out for ways to improve the program and student experience.

I'm super excited about the opportunity to study Data Science with Practicum and highly recommend them.
    • Daniel
      I had very minimal prior Python experience (intro course on Coursera) before deciding to enroll in the Practicum introduction course for Data Science. In brief, the introduction course is an amazing way to get your feet wet in the field of data science. The introduction course is well structured and explains topics in a way that can be easily understood. The course also gives a lot of real life examples when explaining concepts and lessons. I think that learning coding can be a bit overwhelming but Practicum introduction course managed to help me gain a lot of confidence with Python very quickly. While enrolled in the introduction course, I was debating between joining Practicum and other 'job guarantee' boot camps but ultimately decided on Practicum because it is much more cost efficient and the support/curriculum has been amazing so far. I would definitely recommend!
    • Derek Schinke • Student
       The Web Developer Course from Practicum by Yandex is well-structured, progressive, and challenging. It starts out from basic concepts of website structure and design through HTML and CSS (with the BEM methodology), adds to it with a crash course in JavaScript, and eventually React, that immediately has you building quality, responsive websites and web apps. By then end, you’ll understand how to build a fully-featured web app in React, in addition to its requisite backend using a MERN stack. Each project builds upon the last, and a sense of progression and accomplishment is felt during every sprint. The Tutors and Senior Students are helpful and very willing to dissect code and guide you at every step. Each two week sprint is divided into a week of exercises, and a week of project building, although this divide is flexible. The time commitment is slightly demanding, so be prepared to spend a decent amount of time working on developing your skills; this definitely isn’t a passive program. Altogether, you can learn how to become a great web developer with Practicum by Yandex.
    • Vy Vuong • Student
      I was offered a full time position as a clinical data analyst last November - Practicum by Yandex contributes greatly to this achievement.

I love the way the team put a lot of effort in developing the content for the data science curriculum. They teach us from basic python syntax to complicated machine learning models, and also help us review mathematic concepts in linear algebra, statistics and probability. I think this is a holistic way to approach data science because you need not only to be able to deploy machine learning models, but you need to understand the math behind them, and to be able to preprocess data before running models.

Another thing I love about the program is the responsiveness of all the team, from tutor to project reviewer to community manager. This make you avoid confusion on your learning journey as much as possible. The fact that they set deadlines for projects and lessons helps us to keep discipline and follow our goal. They are also flexible enough to grant us a few academic leaves if we can't catch up with the space of the whole group because of our busy schedules.

I used a lot of knowledge and skills learned from Practicum to get through job interview and apply for my current job. With these great things, I highly recommend Practicum for those who want to start or switch to Data Science/Analytics career.