practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $3,000 and $5,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (124) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

SQL, Python, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics
      Start Date August 19, 2021
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.

Start Date August 19, 2021
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Web Developer

SQL, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Front End, CSS
      Start Date August 19, 2021
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Zachary Rodriguez • Web Developer • Student
      I had an excellent experience with this program! Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn web development

The curriculum was up to date and well taught. In fact, rather than going to stackexchange or googling for something, I often review my lessons from this class when I can't remember how to do something or am having trouble with the documentation. There's a lot of information available online that covers similar subjects, but the way Yandex presents it is just better. Especially with javascript, a lot of information can be old or outdated examples that use jquery, not the case for Yandex.

They cover basically everything you need to know for the MERN stack:
      • html/css
      • BEM style
      • flexbox/flexgrid
      • javascript es10 (they do an especially good job here)
      • react
      • mongodb
      • mongoose
      • REST api
      • modular programming

The instructors were one of the best parts of the program. I really like the staff and found them very helpful and easy to talk to. You could reach them over slack whenever you are having trouble on a project. Keep in mind, though, that most of them are based in Russia. For me, in Pacific Standard Time, I would usually do my work during the day and send it to be reviewed or to receive feedback if I was having difficulty with the project, and by the next day I would receive feedback from them that I could work on.

If you have anything come up during the course and need to take a leave of absence, the staff is very flexible and accommodating.

The projects were challenging, but their feedback was extremely helpful and even if you have done some programming before you will really improve a lot. There were clear deadlines for projects that were very reasonable.

There were a few lessons on common whiteboarding questions you might be asked during an interview. There was also an optional project for a real company that groups of 3-4 students could work on, which was an excellent learning experience.

Overall this was exactly what I wanted out of a bootcamp program. I especially recommend it for people who have some background in programming already and want to improve, since you will be challenged and they will leave a lot of constructive criticism on your projects. It can also be challenging because it is a lot of information to cover, but the program is long enough to cover it all well, and you can always come back to the course material if you need to review.

• Data Science
      - 2/28/2021
      Deepti • Student
      I always had a keen interest in pursuing my career in the area of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. I was looking for a good, instructor led online course that would enable me to learn and also do hands-on Data Science projects. When I found about the curriculum and learning process of the DataScience Bootcamp by Practicum@Yandex, I immediately enrolled in the program, and I am thankful I DID, because it is an EXCELLENT PROGRAM.

This course consists of online, comprehensive, well planned, highly educational course material with hands-on exercises, challenging hands on projects, collaborative stack of Slack and Notion, and a community of professionals and educators.

This course has enabled me to learn various topics in Data Science (Python, Data Preprocessing, EDA, SDA, AI, ML, Deep Learning, ComputerVision, Supervised Learning, Unsupervised learning and much more). It has increased my curiosity to learn more, boosted my confidence to a level where I am eager to work on new projects in Data Science.   This course also has a web-development part, where we can learn in the web-development introductory courses offered by Practicum @ Yandex.  Everything in ONE place.

The course is very rigorous and used Agile Methodology of Sprints. The active help and 24/7 support from the technical instructors, coaches, administrative staff, and students have made the entire learning a very pleasant and confident process.  The instructors and coaches are very learned, knowledgeable and experienced. They are willing to go above and beyond to enable us to learn more. There are well-planned webinars held to teach new concepts and discuss the projects.

A year ago, Data Science seemed to me a far-reaching goal and I used to wonder  if I could ever do that online. The Practicum @ Yandex Data Science boot-camp has enabled me to reach my goals in less than a year. With their constant guidance and support, I am very optimistic to find a job in the Data Science field.

Thank you all at Practicum @ Yandex.
    • Xia Cui • Student
      I started learning data analytics by doing various small courses online and realised this is the kind of career path I want to pursue. Then I want to engage in some more comprehensive, intense, but also practical learning to develop and consolidate my skills. That's when I found Practicum by Yandex among all the bootcamps available online.

I picked Yandex based on others' reviews and I'm extremely glad with this decision. I feel so enjoyed the course and every aspect of it: the platform, the tasks, the design, the flow, the support. I can't say enough good things about the course and still can't believe I get so much for what I pay.

I'm half way in my data analytics course and excited with each new chapter and task. The learning offered by Practicum suits me perfect. There are also plenty of additional resources offered which i really appreciate. The tutors have been great and so helpful too.

What I'm really impressed is how prompt the platform online support is. Whenever I got stuck with a task, I sent an inquiry via the platform tech support, the response is almost straightaway, despite all the time differences. Wow. that's impressive, and super helpful!

As i said, I can't say enough good things about the course. Anymore will make me sound like a sales person. haha!  Highly recommended!
    • Great experience
      - 2/17/2021
      Elizaveta Gorbunova • Student
      I am studying at Practicum by Yandex for half a year now and I am going to finish my course soon. I've enjoyed my Data Analytics course and I am inspired for further work. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone, cause it has a  complex approach to studies. You get well-structured theory, practice, real projects, guidance, tips on soft skills, communication with mentors and peers. This is a top quality program.
      Of course, nothing is ideal and there were some annoying moments, for example, some bugs on the platform. But they were really minor and did not spoil the overall experience.
      In conclusion, I'd like to add, that knowing how to work with data is essential in today's world. Data is the essence of knowledge, science and development.
      - 2/17/2021
      Jay Gentry • Student
      I loved my experience! They made learning feel easy. Any time I ran into a road block I contacted support and got help quickly, as they were really responsive. The structure of the curriculum was challenging in a good way. It helps you build skills to learn for yourself instead of just the simple read and review tutorial of other bootcamps. I loved practicum by yandex so much I am considering going back for one of there other boot camps in the future!
    • Data Science
      - 2/15/2021
      Vladimir Gurevich • Student
       I started the full data scientist course by Practicum in 2020. It's a good solid course with slack/webinars and etc. ways of communication. They provide a platform for tasks and during each sprint need to finish a project.

THIS REVIEW IS HELPFUL0
    • Web Developer
      - 2/12/2021
      Pinwei Wu • Graduate
      I really like Practicum offers hand on experience at coding. Though I self learned some coding before the program but never feel like I could break into the field. In Practicum web developer program, I not only learned the coding skill, but also the way how developer works. I am especially impressed by the hard working code reviewers. My coding structures and logic improved every time I got back my feedback. I now can build websites on a scratch all by myself, feel confident and am finally ready. Highly recommended!
    • Mirjana Grkovska • Student
      In the end of November, I decided to enroll for the Practicum by Yandex Data Science bootcamp. I started the introductory course and I got hooked. So much, that I completed the first three chapters in 2 days. It did not take me long either to complete the rest 5 chapters of the course. It was not my knowledge and skills that enabled me to finish everything in such a short time, but the interesting content, and the help of the Yandex team. I must say that is not the first time I am doing online Python lessons, but it is the first time where I feel challenged (rather than discouraged) to solve tasks and problems. I really like the concise content of the lessons - structured around solving a particular problem and I love the message window that pops up after getting the right solution. How well thought that these messages are not saying the same thing over and over again, such as 'Correct' or 'Well done', but they make reference to the topic I study at that moment and summarize the results in a creative way. These messages put smile on my face. I also like that there are diverse range of examples for the tasks, so there is something of interest for everyone (regardless whether you are a movie fan, marketing analyst, or social media devote, there is something you have knowledge on, so that motivates you more to solve the tasks and see what the results are). In addition, I feel that I am part of a great community that is always there to help. I have asked for help on fb, on slack, directly on the learning platform and the whole team is so friendly and makes me feel that I am not bothering them and that they are always available for the students. I am so excited about everything on this course, that I find myself studying late at night, or whenever I find a free time during my day job. I genuinely enjoy my learning journey with Yandex. Thank you Yandex team, you are all wonderful!
    • Yanina Khitrova
       For a long time I felt that I need a career change but I wasn't sure where to go. I tries various courses on Coursera and Udemy but without much success. In the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, I saw a Yandex Practicum ad on Facebook and decided to try the Data Analyst program. In the beginning, I wasn't even sure that I will be able to finish it because the whole topic was pretty new to me. But as I was doing it, I got more and more interested and involved in the program. The main program starts with a lesson about mindset and it really helped me improve my attitude. The course is structured in just the right way to involve students and keep it interesting. There are tons of practice tasks from the very beginning with increasing difficulty. The theoretical parts are clearly written and followed by exercises and real life projects. All exercises and projects pretty challenging so you can feel the growing confidence after completing it. All projects are get checked by an industry professionals. They provide really valuable feedback. Sometime you may need to correct and resubmit the project several times until it is done correctly and accepted by reviewer. During the program, I completed 12 projects and one additional project, so the portfolio is pretty impressing. Another great part of the program are biweekly webinars. During the webinar, students could see the how the data analyst works on different real life problems and real time coding sessions. The webinars give more live interactions to the program.
      The program teaches all technical and soft skills needed to junior data analyst:
      -    Python programming language with libraries like Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Plotly, etc.
      -    Jupiter Notebook
      -    SQL queries and data processing
      -    Data preprocessing with Python
      -    Exploratory and statistical data analysis
      -    Business analytics and A/B test
      -    Data visualization (graphs and dashboards) with Python libraries and Tableau
      -    Automation and machine learning basics
      As a student, I feel constant support from the Practicum team: community managers, mentor, technical support and from fellow students. You can ask any question in the chat and get needed help pretty fast. Sometimes there could be some time lag because the team can be located in the other part of the world but technical support helps really fast anyway.
      I also need to mention the career support program where student can get various help with resume writing, portfolio preparation, attend webinars with technical recruiters and career couches and much more.
      To make the program even more appealing, I would make some suggests:
      *  I would add kind of "tutor-on-duty" to answer the questions of the students from the different time zones. Sometimes, I got stuck in some tasks and could not move forward. I had to wait the help from my tutor till the next day because of the time difference. It could be pretty annoying for people with the packed schedules.
      * It would be very useful to have both way communication with the reviewer.
      * Also, after completion of the projects, it would be very interesting to see other students' projects or best projects from the previous cohorts.
      Thank you Yandex Practicum Team for the great program, for the opportunity to be part of the great community, and opportunity to grow as a professional.
    • Grant W • Student
       Like many other novice developers, I've found myself stuck in a tutorial loop which felt inescapable. I had been trying to make a career switch, but was frustrated with the endless "beginner" code camps which often resulted in just copying and pasting code. I had even completed a FullStack Javascript program from a competitor and felt abandoned the moment I got my certificate. Luckily, I didn't give up and I found Practicum. The course lessons are very interesting and tend to dive a bit deeper than most other programs to ensure you learn the "Why" behind the code. They even sprinkle lessons throughout the curriculum dedicated to helping transfer careers! I've made some great relationships with my instructors who I'm glad to call my mentor. Thank you Practicum for helping me break into my dream career!
      - 11/6/2020
      Shuki Zanyovka • Software Architect • Graduate
      The Yandex Practicum is an online course that provides the basic tools for a Data Scientist including a solid platform for studying the more advanced subjects. The course is an 8 months long program, in which there are a lot of mini-courses regarding multiple subjects in the field. Each of the courses includes a project which is checked carefully by the Practicum staff to provide constructive feedback to the student. In short, it's a great jumpstart towards the world of Data Science for students of any background who need the Data Science tools for their jobs or just for fun :-).