mobile-makers-academy-logo

Mobile Makers Academy

Chicago

Mobile Makers Academy

Mobile Makers Academy enhances mobile development curriculum in schools by teaching mobile development to high school teachers. Mobile Makers is a full-time, 8-week, intensive program in Chicago, IL that will turn beginner students into iOS developers. Over the course of the program, students will learn the tools, the architecture, the tech talk, the professional practices, teamwork, employability, design for developers, agile development, and Git & source control. Students will gain technical proficiency in Objective-C Basics, Cocoa touch, view controllers, table views, navigation, touch gestures, core data, core animation, and debugging. Mobile Makers is looking for students who love learning, love making things, and have a sneaking suspicion that a job in mobile app development is going to make them really happy. After graduation, students will be ready to talk the talk and back it up with a GitHub portfolio to impress hiring managers.

Recent Mobile Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (17) reviews for Mobile Makers Academy →

Recent Mobile Makers Academy News

Read all (5) articles about Mobile Makers Academy →
  • High School Teacher Training

iOS, Mobile, Swift
    LocationChicago
    We provide iOS development training to teachers looking to bring Swift into their classrooms.

I took the Mobile Makers iOS course online. Overall I had a good experience. The curriculum was challenging, fast paced, and I had to be really resourceful to figure things out... no spoon feeding! Having taken the course online, I think it was much more challenging that if I had taken the course at the Chicago location. Online student generally have to work more alone so the learning advantages of pair programing etc made it harder for me to keep up.

I was new to iOS and OOP programming, but had a lot of technical/IT background and really had to work hard to keep up. I would suggest that if you are really a newbie with little tech experience that you take the course at the location and not online or you might be more likely to fall behind.

Also, the online course does not come with professional mentoring or coaching to help get you ready to get hired, but there are some guide docs provided.

• From Zero to Hero!
    - 5/29/2015
    Matt Larkin • Graduate

I came into Mobile Makers with very little iOS Dev knowledge and basic programming knowledge.
    After completing Mobile Makers, I felt that I had the confidence of being a professional developer.
    The program I completed was the online iOS Development.

I felt that that learning assistances were awesome and the instruction was very professional.

My only complaint is that there is little job placement assistance.

• Gabe Morales • Graduate

MobileMakers is not like any other online education or bootcamp. My experience was amazing. I had help every step of the way. The course has a great curriculum. What I loved the most about the course is that I was given an arsenal of tools that can be used in real life. We were tought how to look and where to look for solutions, the many different ways to solve a problem and most importantly gaining confidence in your own code and your own problem solving decisions.

I completed over 20 apps, had mock interviews and also got job leads. I now have 2 iOS jobs and more coming!

• Wade Sellers • Lead iOS Developer • Graduate

Hi, Wade Sellers here... of the ELITE ALUMNI population of Mobile Makers Academy.  If you truly want an experience where you get your pennies worth... This is IT!!!  No I'm not lying and no I'm not being paid (although that Apple Watch giveaway did indeed, lure me in)...  OK SO LET'S BE CLEAR HERE... This stuff is difficult.  Becoming an iOS developer can be one of the most rewarding career fields if this is your passion but you gotta earn it which means being able to make a million mistakes and fight through them.  Everyone thinks "Coding" just means building... BUT Here's a free gem of a truth for you... It's more about fixing things.  Programmers arrive at solutions through trial and error... ALOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR.  BUT if you like solving puzzles like that, it could be for you.  FOR ME, IT ABSOLUTELY IS!  I love coding apps and right out of bootcamp, I landed a job in Denver (1.5 weeks after arriving)... Here's the truth, there's more work than there are developers.. What's that mean??? YOU GET TO FLIPPIN PICK WHAT YOU WANT AND MAKE MONEY DOING WHAT YOU LOVE???  Is there even another field out there that let's you pick your job based on personal motivations and passions once your there? You'll get job offers to boot and you get to be picky... You can find the project or company you personally have an emotional connection to and take on a career you honestly care about.

Did I mention it's difficult... CUZ it is... BUT, (in Urkel voice,) No Sweat My Pet... It can be done and done well.  It takes dedication and a relentless push from yourself to keep learning.  Bootcamps are MAGIC... WHY???  Because you get to turn the world off.  You get to say "Hey friends, family, signifigant other... I love you but I need you to leave me alone for 2 months while I do something that less than 1% of the population will achieve)... Yea dude(ette)... that's you... ELITE!!!

Mobile Makers has the top leadership teaching staff, support staff, and industry connections to give you an experience other bootcamps attempt to emulate but cannot duplicate.  It's iOS, it's awesome iPhone apps, it's not webpages and yada yada... IT's FLIPPING RAD iPhone apps that everyone around you uses a bajillion times a day. You will graduate with 30 apps under your belt... WHAT?  YEA I SAID IT.. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN... 30 apps built by you, on your computer, and you know every single line of code in them... CUZ... you flippin wrote them... YUP!

I'm happy to answer any questions you have on the matter... hit me up VIA twitter @waderoni if you want some more juicy details.  But seriously... if you're thinking about this already, YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT... SO TAKE THE LEAP & JOIN US... We have cake!

• iOS