metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science and analytics training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is offered Live Online with real-time instruction and interaction with classmates. Designed and taught by industry practitioners, the program covers Python, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, interactive data visualization, and more. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning, resulting in a portfolio of 5 projects at the end of the bootcamp that can be leveraged during the interview process.

Career Advisors work one-on-one with students and hold regular workshops on topics like networking and resume writing. Students receive mock interview training and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, and a highly engaged network of over 1,100 bootcamp alumni. Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs and receive career support until they're hired. The Metis hiring network is over 200 companies strong, including Facebook, Amazon, and Capital One.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics. Prior to starting the program, students must complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (114) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (50) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Start Date October 19, 2020
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    October 19, 2020 - Online Apply by October 19, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Online Apply by January 11, 2021
  • Data Science Bootcamp

Start Date January 4, 2021
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
    January 4, 2021 - Online Apply by November 9, 2020
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    Start Date January 21, 2021
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
    January 21, 2021 - Online Apply by January 21, 2021
  • Python for Beginners

Data Science, Python
    Start Date November 2, 2020
    Are you thinking about applying to our Data Science Bootcamp, but need to build your Python skills first? Our Python for Beginners course was designed for you - the beginner ready to learn the fundamentals of the world’s most popular programming language for data science from scratch. During this 3-week course, you will learn: -Introduction to programming in Python -Common basic data types and their properties -Logical operations, loops, functions and more Please note, the cost of Python for Beginners can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to learn Python fundamentals, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Python for Beginners, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries you may have.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    November 2, 2020 - Online Apply by November 2, 2020
  • High recommend!
    - 7/27/2019
    Katie  User Photo
    Katie • data scientist • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to Metis with a master's in Stats and a background in financial services. I keep taking self-paced online courses in data science and analytics since 2018. I found those courses helpful but not enough to help grow career from data analyst to data scientist, so I was looking for in-person and intensive training in data science. My friend recommended Metis to me. As a mother of two little ones, I was not sure if I could handle Metis's fast-paced bootcamp. But I actually did it and Metis is one of the best experiences in my life. I highly recommend Metis if you are shopping data science training to make a career change!

Knowledgeable Instructors: I was at Chicago bootcamp. My instructors Lara and John are very knowledgeable with rich industry experience and deep understanding of theories. I like the way they instruct data science in a clear and practical way. They are always patient and super helpful.

Well-Structured Curriculum: I enjoy the project-based curriculum which prepares us exactly for what we would do at a data scientist role. We practiced pair programming on a daily basis. We also had weekly coding challenges.

Interesting Projects: I did 5 projects at Metis. Those projects cover regression, classification, clustering, NLP, and time series analysis. All the projects were done in two/three weeks, which means you need to push yourself hard and dive into the machine learning algorithms.

Presentation and Communication Training: I am not a native speaker. My English proficiency is limited and my communication skill has plenty of room to improve. I did presentation for each of my projects. My instructors and advisor gave me invaluable advice on presentation and communication!

Career Support: Metis's career support is amazing. My career advisor Ashley is super helpful! She gave me tons of suggestions and help with resume, cover letter, job hunting strategy, connection with recruiters and alumni, interview skills, post-graduation 1 on 1, etc.

Cohort Peers: Cohort peers are smart and from different background. It's a really good experience to know so many interesting people who have same passion in data science. I enjoy the collaborative environment at Metis. We helped each other out with problems and we keep in touch after graduation.

In short, I would say Metis is a life changing experience to me. High recommend!

• Dave  User Photo
    Dave • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Metis Chicago with a degree in Economics, and several years of work experience in financial services and public sector analytics. I was running into problems at work where I knew there was a way to create models that would give us robust answers and to program sturdy solutions, but I simply didn't know how. I did the bootcamp to learn exactly that- how to use modeling techniques to answer real world questions, and to get much better at programming. I dramatically expanded my knowledge of statistics, modeling, and machine learning, and became a much better programmer. I'm surprised at how much I learned in 3 months. The strong emphasis on real world and business applications of these skills was indispensable, as was the emphasis on communicating my results through visualizations and presentations.

I recommend Metis to anyone who wants to pursue data science and analytics as a career. You actually gain enough knowledge and experience to move your career forward, or to pivot in that direction. The material is fantastic, it's clear that a lot of thought and effort has gone into not only producing it, but revising it to improve it, and curating it to keep it up to date. The instructors are brilliant, they're actual practitioners of the material, and they're excited to have you learn it too. The staff is wonderful, they make the bootcamp an enjoyable place to spend three months, and the career services support is way better than anything your college pretended to give you- it's personal, thorough, ongoing, and effective.

As with everything, you get out what you put in, but there's ample material to strive and learn a lot, and the instructors are supportive and available to help you learn as much as you're willing to. It's not easy, and it shouldn't be- if it were, you wouldn't be learning anything. It takes a significant amount of time and effort, but the payoff is worth it.

• Data Scientist
    - 7/25/2019
    Jake  User Photo
    Jake • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came to Metis with a background in academic research and a graduate degree in biological sciences. Throughout my time as a graduate student I found several use cases for programming and using statistical modeling techniques for ongoing research projects but decided to pursue Metis with the hopes of expanding my knowledge of applying data science in real world business settings. Metis was instrumental in enabling me to drastically improve my statistical modeling and machine learning capabilities in addition to becoming well versed in deriving viable solutions to complex business problems. Furthermore, the emphasis of being able to communicate results in front of both technical and non-technical audiences was incredibly helpful for my development as a data scientist.

I would highly recommend Metis to anyone interested in pursuing data science as a career.  The instructors are phenomenal and will provide you with all the tools and resources necessary for your success. The bootcamp was a significant time investment but was well worth the effort so long as you are willing to put in the time required to learn new concepts. All staff and instructors at Metis are fully committed to your success and I couldn't think of a better environment to kickstart your career as a data scientist.

• Keith  User Photo
    Keith • Data Scientist - Consultant • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came to Metis from a very nontraditional background. I received my bachelor's from a conservatory in New York City, where I studied classical French Horn performance. While there, I had every intention of continuing to play music professionally.

I decided to do Metis for several reasons. After graduating, I spent several years in a variety of positions mostly related to project management and business operations but was looking to get into more analytical/technical professions. I was taking courses on Udacity and Udemy for about a year; while I found those courses helpful and informative, but they were not enough on their own to facilitate a career transition.

I learned about Metis from a close friend of mine who attended. It was a highly transformative experience for him, and he was able to secure a position at a startup where he actually started and is now building the data science team.

Like anything in life, you'll get out of it what you put into it. One thing that makes Metis so great is the community that you join. Some of my closest friends are students that attended my cohort (and even previous and subsequent cohorts). We all helped each other through the challenges that we faced throughout the bootcamp. We learned as much from the instructors as we did from each other by working through our problems together. (Always be willing to ask questions!!!).

While it would be possible for me to (more or less) learn this material on my own, I would not have been to do so as quickly and comprehensively. That said, even if I learned this all on my own, there's no way that I could have achieved the same level of confidence, not without being surrounded by the great instructors, staff, and peers that Metis provides. During the bootcamp, you'll get a clear idea of where the bar is and what you need to do to reach it.

The career counseling was also highly beneficial. They are very honest about the career options you should expect upon completing the bootcamp, and they do their best to connect you with hiring managers and representatives where your unique skills and background will be appreciated.

Without any technical degrees or relevant experience, I was told to expect the possibility of a data analyst position and not a data science position. I had about a 50-50 split in terms of the interviews I was getting between data scientist and analyst positions. Three months after completing the bootcamp, I received two offers from leads generated through the Metis career counselor. One as a Senior Data Analyst and the other as a Data Scientist. I accepted the offer as a Data Scientist.

• Daniel  User Photo
    Daniel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came into the Metis Data Science Bootcamp from a non-STEM background. Undergrad was in History, and grad school was in Architecture/Design. I choose Metis over other options because of the independent project work. It was important to me to work through structuring a project from start to finish, and for the finished products to represent the kind of work I wanted to do in the future. The project-based work resulted in a strong portfolio of projects that transitioned easily into demonstrative work for job interviews and networking.

Metis exposed students to a wide range of concepts, ideas, and strategies during the in-class content. For our own projects, we had freedom to work within certain frameworks to dive deeper into topics or strategies we found more interesting. For the final project, we had a blank canvas to execute a project of our own creation. The synthesis of all the bootcamp's learnings with our own interests was deeply rewarding and genuinely exciting. For a cohort that shared a common set of in-class experiences, the individual project-based work and final project created substantial diversity and differentiated expertise within the student body.

In general, the course and project work exceeded my expectations. Another dimension I could not have predicted was the positive and supportive social dynamic within the cohort.

I received my first data scientist job offer two months after the bootcamp ended through a lead generated by Metis, and the offer I accepted occurred 6 months after the bootcamp through a lead I generated on my own.

• Life changing
    - 5/29/2019
    Aaron Gittleman  User Photo
    Aaron Gittleman • Machine Learning Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

If you are here shopping around for a data science bootcamp to launch your new career path, you can stop here. My experience at Metis allowed me to make a massive career change in a surprisingly short time frame, with very little prior experience. In this program, you'll learn from a team of incredibly smart and skilled data scientists who will always go the extra mile to help you understand the dense material. You'll also be in the good hands of a very knowledgeable and effective career support team. To put it simply, if you put in the work, they will make you a highly sought after D.S. candidate in 12 weeks.

Aside from the staff, you'll also learn a lot from your classmates. Cohorts are comprised of smart people with a wide range of backgrounds and expertise who are willing to help each other.

The projects that you complete during this course provide you with an impressive portfolio to showcase during your job search, and the materials taught during the course are exactly what companies are hiring for. If you are motivated to start a new career and ready to put in hard work for it, I can't recommend this enough.

• Tim Vogel  User Photo
    Tim Vogel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

In short, Metis is a fantastic opportunity. I was blown away by the amount of information the faculty was able to teach just 12-weeks. I come from a science background and was delighted by the instructors' willingness to help with what is very challenging material. On top of the incredible teaching staff, Metis also provides you with stellar careeer-support and guidance for navigating life post-grad, and ultimately landing your dream job. If you have the opportunity to participate in this bootcamp, don't pass it up!

• Patrick  User Photo
    Patrick • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Metis because of its accreditation and encouraging reviews and I'm glad I did. Although it was probably the most challenging thing I've ever done, I was also having fun in the process and came in everyday eager to learn more. Not only did the bootcamp equip me with the necessary programming skills I needed to transition to a more technical career, I also built incredible work ethic in the process and befriended and connected with many other intelligent, driven students in the collaborative environment.

My instructors at Metis were very knowledgable and were great at communicating the data science concepts and machine learning algorithms. At the same time, they were patient enough to answer our many questions. The schedule and curriculum was well-rounded and we were trained to be better presenters and communicators with our 5 data science projects/presentations that were due during the course. I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend Metis and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get into this field.

• Transformative
    - 5/3/2019
    Marc Kelechava  User Photo
    Marc Kelechava • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I can't imagine a more well-structured 3-month program to prepare students for the current Data Scientist job market. The type of work covered in independent projects, the statistical inference/ML curriculum, and daily programming challenges are exactly what companies (in SF at least) are testing for in Data Science positions today. While the post-graduation interview process is difficult, I think in every interview I went on I used some piece of knowledge I picked up at Metis, and heavily credit the program with job placement success.

One caveat is that the program is extraordinarily difficult in terms of expectations and depth/speed of material covered. If you have any meaningful time commitments that can't be put on the backburner for 3 months, I would caution that the program requires near total-focus (this certainly varies per-student, but at least for me, this included heavy night and weekend work over the 3 months). That being said, I'd probably never been as excited to approach each day, and made enormous strides in technical capabilities because of it.

Our cohort was particularly close-knit, and most of us still are in constant contact most days despite the program's completion. This for me was probably even more valuable than the technical content, as it provided a strong network of other people breaking into DS that I'd image will remain invaluable for years.

Career Support after in SF was impressive as well. I ended up going with a company I found independently, but Career Support provided me with at least 20% of my strong leads during the job search.

If you feel compelled to break into the field and are looking to accelerate very rapidly, do this now.

• Spencer Tollefson  User Photo
    Spencer Tollefson • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Metis isn't for the faint of heart. What this program is NOT: an easy, magical path to coast through for 12 weeks to land a data science position. What this program IS: a well structured, intense immersive that can lead you to your goals when doubled with appropriate effort.

My background is from business school. I worked as a Tax accountant CPA, then management consultant for finance related projects, and then as a community economic development volunteer in the Peace Corps. Hard skills such as programming, statistics, or any kind of science were not my forte - but rather I'd developed experience in problem solving and communication skills more than anything. However, one fascinating part of Metis was the diversity of backgrounds among my cohort - and the ability for many people to succeed in the program.

I strongly encourage any potential applicant to be thorough in their preparation and vetting process. If you are able to pass the entrance exam for Metis, and know why you believe the program will help you achieve your goals, then I would highly recommend it ensuring you have the discipline and time to focus on this for 12 weeks.

For my anecdotal experience, Metis was fantastic. I chalk a lot of that up to having done substantial thinking in deciding why I wanted to do a data science bootcamp and how it would help me make the career transition from accountant/consultant to data scientist.

So why Metis then?

• I found the instructors extremely knowledgeable and accessible
    • My cohort peers were intelligent, engaging, and had diverse backgrounds. I think a large part of that is the Metis admittance process
    • Dedicated career support (Marybeth in Seattle) was quite helpful in navigating and structuring the job hunt process
    • The 5 project structure of the program was invaluable. In many of my job interviews I found being able to talk about how I did 5 projects - 4 entirely solo and which included gathering my own data - a huge asset

Additionally, the physical space was perfectly adequate and not run down like I've heard rumors of some other bootcamps. There clearly is support after the bootcamp - but finding a job is not handed to you on a platter. In my personal case, I spent about 12 weeks job searching after the bootcamp as well. It paid off in the end, and I would have done Metis 10/10 times again, but don't expect a job to be handed to you afterward. The Metis presence in Seattle is smaller than some other bootcamps, but if you are willing to expand your job search outside Seattle I personally found Metis connections help me make headway in over 10 different job interviews.

The curriculum continues to bee updated and I'm glad to hear they spent some more time on time-series for the cohorts after my own.

In summary, I recommend Metis if you do the hard work in visualizing how the immersion will help you achieve your next goals. If you believe a data science bootcamp is the right step for you, and you're willing to put in the time and effort into the program, Metis is an excellent investment of your time and money. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

• Stephen Ilhardt  User Photo
    Stephen Ilhardt • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My background was in management consulting and I had some experience with data analysis, but the amount I learned here was unreal. I was really interested in machine learning and neural networks but found I was having trouble learning them on my own in an unstructured way. Metis was perfect for this and aligned with my preferred learning style really well. I learned everything I wanted to and then a whole lot more. They cover just about everything you'll come across as a data scientist in varying degrees of detail, but then set you up to learn so much more after you're done. I spent the weeks after I graduated reading and deepening my knowledge about all of the stuff I learned in Metis, and tutorials and research papers that would have been way over my head pre-Metis just didn't scare me anymore. It's really cool! The instructors were outstanding and could answer just about every question you'd throw at them, and then they went above and beyond to make sure you understood everything before moving on. Take advantage of that because they're all really knowledgeable and more than willing to help. I actually spent quite a bit of time learning things that interested me that weren't in the curriculum for my projects and they even had answers about that stuff too. I really think you'll get a lot out of this, but be prepared to put in the hours. The class goes from nine to five, but if you're willing to work nights and weekends and squeeze every bit of knowledge you can out of this then you'll be very impressed with what you know and can do by the end.

• Buckle up!
    - 3/27/2019
    Kendra  User Photo
    Kendra • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are looking for an in-person, immersize Data Science bootcamp that will give you skills and confidence in this burgeoning field, you need look no further than Metis. The highlights:

• Passionate, intelligent, yet personable and caring staff
    • Applicable curriculum, a good balance of broad and deep
    • Bright, motivated, supportive peers
    • A true cheerleader in tne Career Support Advisor

I appreciated that there was a significant amount of "pre-work" recommended. This isn't a zero-to-hero bootcamp, and it shouldn't be. Everyone walks in with a baseline, so you can get more or less straight to work learning about Data Science. I enjoyed the project-based curriculum and believe it was a very effective way to teach new concepts. As you learn, you apply it. Instructors are highly available to assist with any questions or issues -- though they sometimes got monopolized by students seeking more help than others. They are incredibly patient, kind, and wise. Classmates were friendly and always willing to help -- it felt highly collaborative, and never overtly competitive. Metis puts forth a lot of effort to make it feel like a community and that each student is valued.

Beyond the Data Science, Metis teaches you *grit*: how to not give up, to find a way. *time management*: you don't have a lot of time for your projects -- so you learn how to time-block and set deadlines for yourself. *how to learn, and learn fast!*: don't know something? Google it. Find a book or a blog. Ask someone. Get creative. These are skills that will serve you well in The Real World.

My only quibble is that I was expecting a bit more from the Metis network in terms of finding a job. Perhaps the Seattle program is too new to have a vast expasne of alums armed with a trove of jobs, just waiting for us to graduate to bestow them upon us. Maybe I am just lazy and entitled. I should note that some alums were very involved and eager to help. Also, Marybeth, the career advisor, is an amazing resource. She is highly knowledgable -- and connected -- and is also always there for moral support. She'll help you structure your time post-bootcamp and negotiate that inevitable job offer.