lambda-school-logo

Lambda School

Lambda School

Lambda School is an online coding bootcamp that teaches both a full-time, 9-month program and a part-time, 18-month program. This immersive online school is dedicated to teaching the most cutting-edge and in-demand technologies focused around JavaScript. Students will learn front end, back end, mobile, and neural network technologies. Their online classroom experience is the same as any physical classroom, live students, live instructors, full interaction, pair programming, and frequent code reviews. Their online, immersive format allows you to be connected to instructors at all times, chat with other students, or have someone instantly jump in to see your code.

Before starting a full-time course, applicants must complete a 2-week free intro course to learn the basics. After passing some test assignments, applicants are invited for an interview with a school representative.

Lambda School is committed to helping students find employment by providing interview preparation, portfolio review, effective resume writing tips, and salary negotiation practice. Lambda School offers an Income Sharing Agreement where students start paying for the program after they find a job.

Recent Lambda School Reviews: Rating 4.78

all (79) reviews for Lambda School →

Recent Lambda School News

Read all (41) articles about Lambda School →
  • Data Science

With 26% annual growth, Data Science continues to top emerging job lists year after year. Building on centuries of statistics and mathematics, Data Science uses computational techniques to help the most innovative companies in the world scale. From self-driving cars to dynamic business insights for Fortune 500 Companies, Data Science is changing the world. If you enjoy mathematics and love using data to make decisions, a career in data science could be for you. Lambda School's Data Science program is an intensive online training for a career in applied statistics and machine learning. Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Python - SQL - Data Visualization - Machine Learning - Linear Algebra - Databases - Statistics & Modeling - Natural Language Processing
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Tuition PlansNo upfront payment required. Pay 17% of your income for 24 months (up to $30K) after getting a job making at least $50,000.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Python and algebra
    Prep WorkPre-course work will be sent after acceptance to the program
  • Full Stack Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python
    As a developer, you get to be the person that translates your passion into a functional website or web application to share with the world. A rapidly changing technological landscape means the industry continues to grow quickly, and is expected to grow by at least 13% in the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of those jobs are located in major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York City, the widespread need for developers across all industries means there’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live. And if you’ve got persistence, grit, curiosity, and a brain that likes to solve puzzles, full stack web development could be the career for you. Lambda School's Full Stack Web Development is an immersive, online program to prepare you for a successful career in web development that teaches: - JavaScript - HTML - CSS - Node - React - Python - Redux - SQL
    Deposit$0 down (no deposit, no down payment).
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
  • Lambda Works!
    - 8/21/2018
    Joshua Hall  User Photo
    Joshua Hall • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Lambda was first introduced to me via an add on Facebook. It was advertised as a Software Engineering program that requires no payment if you don't find a job in the field paying an annual salary of fifty thousand dollars or more. With a strong background in troubleshooting electronics and a deep desire to learn how to code, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Being a skeptic, I dug up as much information about the program as I could to see if any scam reports were made or any concerns of legitimacy had arisen. To my surprise, I dug up blog after blog written by students participating or graduated from the program that expressed nothing but gratitude and gratefulness that they had the opportunity to attend. I thought, how could this be? Not a single negative review? It scratched the part of my brain that doesn't let good exist without condition, so I decided to apply so I could do my own reviewing.

Living in a small, the only opportunities to establish a lifelong career are provided by factories and retail stores. I've worked in various retail and factory positions and let me tell you, I was miserable. With strong research and troubleshooting abilities, I was able to gain feelings of accomplishment and joy by volunteering to help an online gaming community in my spare time. I quickly became their "goto guy" when a new game server needed setup or if there was a serious problem with one of their existing servers. They quickly gave me a title as their "scripter". I really thought I had a solid grasp of coding concepts until I began attending Lambda School. I quickly learned that I had no clue! The more I learned at Lambda the more addicted I became to learning. Absorbing so much knowledge in such a short amount of time is the most invigorating thing I have experienced and I am not afraid to admit that I am addicted! Being a Software Engineer/Developer is just that, a career of learning. Of course, the salary is great but it's more than money for me. Lambda opened doors in my mind that I couldn't have opened myself.

I have been liberated!

On graduation day I was winding down from the most intense learning experience I had ever endured when I began reflecting on the program. It came to me, the conditions required for something this great to exist. I had to be willing to put in the time and effort to persevere through an extremely steep and difficult learning curve. I had to stretch and bend my mind to reshape the way I learn and think. Those are the conditions required to be successful at Lambda and for me, they were worth every drop of blood, sweat, and tears!

• William Pelton  User Photo
    William Pelton • Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After over a decade in food service, I decided to pick my high school hobby of programming back up. I approached it the same way I had as a teenager - tinkering, breaking things, making toy programs that solved a tiny problem in a really inefficient way. Just a hobby really. The difference was that now I had a wife and a kid, and this kind of hobby, while intellectually fulfilling, wasn't going to magically pay the bills. Going back to college for years just to accrue massive debt wasn't really on the table for me. A friend of mine had graduated from a coding boot camp and got a high-paying job, and his testimony sparked my interest.

After a lot of research, I found Lambda School. Lambda puts its students through a full stack education in three months. Instead of sending them off like a lot of schools, it holds on to them for two more months to teach those fundamental, transcendental CS concepts like runtime complexity, data structures, searching, and sorting. Then Lambda School puts the students into groups and gives them one last push to make an app using everything they've learned while in the program, teaching them how to apply their skills in a collaborative, professional development environment. For someone really wanting to break into this field and have staying power in the industry, it sounded like the perfect fit.

Now here I am, six months later, and what has changed? Last Friday I finished my Labs assignment. Sunday I submitted my resume to a Front-End Dev position. Monday I connected with the recruiter. Tuesday I interviewed with the head of the development team. Wednesday I got an offer.

Thanks to full stack curriculum at Lambda, I had the skills they were looking for. Thanks to Labs, Project Weeks, and Lambda Hackathon, I had the projects to prove it. Thanks to the CS curriculum and the whiteboarding practice, I aced the technical interview. Thanks to the career team, I had the negotiating skills to increase my starting salary by at about $25k from what it could have been. The level of support that I've received from this school cannot be overstated. I went from front-of-house to front-end developer in six months. That's real. I'm still in shock to be honest. Choosing Lambda School is choosing to bet on yourself. I can't recommend these people enough.

• Aaron Burk  User Photo
    Aaron Burk • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I am 45, 46. About a year ago, I lost my job. I had a mountain of debt, I hated my career track, I had no retirement savings, etc. And I wasn't sure where to turn.

I knew I liked computers and believed that I could get a career going in computers if I could only get the right chance.

I got on unemployment. They had a program to train for CompTIA A+ certification. My friends with previous work in the IT industry said I would get bored with that though. And I wouldn't make as much money as I would if I became a developer.

I had written HTML for websites when I was in college, but that was 20 years ago. I started finding some free online courses for JavaScript. I'm not great at self-discipline, so I knew that self-paced would mean I would have the skills in about 10 years.

I wouldn't be able to afford to go back to college for 4 years at my age. I needed a new career launch ... NOW. So I started looking at coding bootcamps.

There was no way I could afford an upfront payment for a bootcamp that was $9,000.00 for 12 weeks. Besides, like I said, I was in debt to my eyeballs already, so I could not qualify for a loan anyway.

Let's talk about the 12 weeks thing too. I was starting from scratch. I had a master's degree in the humanities and tons of life experience and I could find my way around an HTML doc.

What would 12 weeks get me? I could learn to write some JavaScript, and some Front end frameworks. This would give me the bare bones to get a very specific job. This would not prepare me for a software engineering career.

So then I found lambda school. Here it is almost a year later and I have launched my software engineering career. I'm making the kind of money I could never have made in my previous career.

And I got here without paying a penny. I am paying them now, but I can afford it now, and there is no interest or debt. They invested in me and it turned out to be a worthwhile investment.

Besides that, I have a new joy and passion for my career. I have learned so much at Lambda school. Sure I got the full MERN stack (Mongo, Express, React Node) training. But I also got a solid foundation in tons of computer science principles. I know operating systems, algorithms, data structures, computer architecture. I even have a decent intro to assembly language. I have learned so much more about what is going on under the hood.

The most important thing I learned at lambda school was HOW to learn and confidence I CAN learn. Whatever hot frameworks and trending languages are today will not be the languages and frameworks they're going to want you to know in 5 years.

I learned to program at a basic level in C, and also picked up Python in a matter of weeks. I am a full stack engineer now thanks to Lambda ready not just for a job, but a career.
  • My Thoughts
    - 5/30/2018
    Dylan Scheidt  User Photo
    Dylan Scheidt • Lead React Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was lucky to be accepted to the second cohort of Lambda School’s computer science program.  Before I joined I spent months researching coding bootcamps and none of them were feasible for me at the time.  In addition, many of them appeared to lack core fundamental principles of programming and were bolstered up by inflated statistics.  When I found out about Lambda School it seemed too good to be true, but with the school taking on much of the risk I decided to take a leap of faith.  Now, I can tell you firsthand that Lambda School is 100% the real deal.  I graduated in February and began a full-time position as a React developer in March.  I’ve been amazed at the amount of information I’ve retained from the school and how well I was actually prepared for the job.  Within 3 months on the job I’ve already been promoted and am leading my own team.  I have Lambda School to thank for that.  There are a few reasons on why this program works for me and can work for anyone with the drive to make it in this industry:

1. Curriculum is top notch.  I think it may be the best Web Development curriculum out there and why I was so willing to take that initial leap.

2. They hire the best instructors in the industry.  I don’t think I need to explain this more all you have to do is look at their credentials.

3. Community.  While being online can be a disadvantage it also allows more students to access the program.  One of the things that many online schools lack is a sense of community.  That’s not happening at Lambda School.  There’s a sense of togetherness here.

4. Feedback loop.  This school is one that actually listens to it’s students and makes adjustments in realtime.
    5. You spend everyday working with people that are hungry.  People that were never given a chance before ceasing on this opportunity.  It’s truly inspiring and an environment that will bring the best out of you.  To me this is the real magic of Lambda School.

So, if you’re thinking about joining Lambda School it’s a no brainer.  It’s what education should be.  You have little to lose and everything to gain.
  • Jake Cooley  User Photo
    Jake Cooley • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took a chance on a school that promised a lot and delivered more than I ever thought possible.

I graduated in the first Lambda School Cohort back in January of 2018. I was quickly set up with a job at a startup company in SF. I was worried about what would be expect of me from a small company and most of my knowledge coming from a 6-month boot camp. What I didn't realize at the time was that not only was I taught the fundamentals of what a software developer needs to code but how to continue to learn and grow.

I thought what they were promising was too good to be true but I ended up receiving more than I could have imagined.

Best decision I've ever made.

• Joram Clervius  User Photo
    Joram Clervius • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a graduate of one of Lambda School's earlier cohorts, I still have access to the school's internal messaging platform with all the current students and teachers. Lambda School continues to get better, and for me, it was already the best. Today I am a Senior Software Engineer earning the highest salary I've ever earned in my life, and Lambda School is the only Computer Science education I've ever had.

Before I applied to Lambda School, I looked into another program local to me. That program didn't do much to alleviate my initial hesitations, and when I was introduced to Lambda School I was still hesitant. But Lambda School made it easy to consider them because they provided the best answer to the one question at the center of my doubts, will this work?

Before committing months of my life to a program, I wanted to know that it would be worth it.

Lambda School's teachers are talented professionals from some of the best companies. Their curriculum was developed with input from the companies I wanted to work for. And the daily schedule is structured to keep students engaged and moving forward. They commit their full arsenal to every student free of charge until that student is able to secure a high paying job.

What makes it even better, after graduation, they help the students to get that job.

I had been a student many times before becoming one at Lambda School. Lambda has been my favorite learning experience by far. It is not self-paced, but you do feel some sense of independence. Only later did I realize how valuable that was. As a Software Engineer, you are expected to be able to find answers on your own. At its core, Lambda’s curriculum instills this in its students.

Lambda School is worth it. I would definitely make the same decision again today. If you’re trying to decide whether you should apply or not, do it. Focus instead on getting admitted.

• Lois Truby  User Photo
    Lois Truby • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from Lambda School’s first full-time computer science class back in January.  I didn’t have much coding experience when I started and it was really hard but I enjoyed the program and feel that I learned a lot.  There are were a few things that I did not like about it, though.  I was in the first class, however, and I know that things have changed since I started in July 2017, but I can only speak to my experience.

Pros:

- Their free mini bootcamps are great (these are how I found out about Lambda School).

- It’s 100% online.

- They have an income share model so I don’t have to pay for the education until I find a job in the field (and I feel like they’re invested in helping me find a job, otherwise, they won’t get paid).

- They have great TAs who were really supportive and helped me understand the material whenever I would reach out to them.  There were mostly 2 TAs when I was in the program, but they have many more now.

- Their instructors are very enthusiastic about the subjects they were teaching.  That kind of enthusiasm is pretty contagious (for me, anyway).  They’re also willing to help me understand any concepts that I struggled with whenever I reached out to them.

- The first half of their curriculum was great.  It was pretty organized and well put-together.  They knew what topics they wanted to cover and went over those topics.  They changed the format of how they were teaching those lessons a few weeks into the program based on our suggestions/complaints, but they still went over the topics in the syllabus.

- They were really responsive to feedback.  I’m not sure if it was because we were the first class, but we saw a lot of changes.  They really request a lot of feedback and are open to improving their teaching model as needed.  I think that things have stabilized for the more recent cohorts, but I’m pretty sure they still request feedback every week and take that feedback into consideration.

- They have career coaches who are supposedly very good, however, I’ve only had one session with my career coach due to personal circumstances that are delaying my job search.

Cons:

- The second half of their curriculum was a bit of a mess.  They seemed to be flying by the seat of their pants and had some things on their syllabus that they didn’t seem to cover and other things that they covered that weren’t on the syllabus.  I was in the first cohort, though, so I think they’ve fixed this portion of their curriculum.

- They didn’t really have windows support.  All the instructors I had were either using Mac or Linux and couldn’t help me troubleshoot my Windows problems (e.g. installing mongodb).  It’s also little annoying when every lecturer is using the Terminal with Mac commands and I had to adjust some of the commands to work on a Windows Command Prompt, but I got used to it.  I think they’ve since hired someone who knows Windows.

- They were a little disorganized towards the end of the program.  They had stopped updating our class calendar and had a hard time setting some important dates, but when we actually complained to them, they set up a meeting to answer all of our questions and updated our calendar.

All in all, I had a great experience with Lambda School.  I really feel like this school is invested in helping me learn the skills to become a programmer and get a job.  Even now, I feel that I could go to anyone in the school for help and they would gladly help me.  I would highly recommend Lambda School for anyone looking to learn to code.

• Tyler Sanford  User Photo
    Tyler Sanford • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

In my previous field, I was a top performer, but having bills and kids, my 18/hour job wasn't cutting it. I wasn't living very happilly when every paycheck was taken away for bills. I never quite had enough to do anything for myself. I had been programming since my teens as a hobby, and I decided it was time to persue my passion.

After being accepted to 3 other coding bootcamps, but unable to afford the outrageous down payment of up to $15,000, I came across Lambda School. I was sceptical at first that Lambda was offering a complete 7 month CS course for 0 upfront, but after speaking directly to Austen Allred on the phone, I was reassured. I decided that since there was nothing to lose, to why not give it a shot!

Like I said, I joined with some hobby level experience, which definitely helped. Although there are prerequisets to joining, I would definitely recommend to get the basics down of html, css, and javascript before starting. The classes are very fast paced, and learning curve is high, but Lambda wont let you fail. Instructors did stop frequently and take the time to make sure everyone was keeping up. Any student who was having a hard time learning, would be given extra help or be moved to another class behind to gain more experience. But overall as long as you have the motivation to succeed, Lambda School will not let you fail!

I just graduated with CS4 in April 2018, and I've gotta say that everything Lambda has promised has so far came true. What really amazed me is how I started getting offers and recruiters contacting me only based off of the Lambda School work. I am currently heavily focusing on landing that job, but with the skills and career development that Lambda provided, I don't think it will take very long at all!

• Changed my life
    - 5/4/2018
    Antonio Melendez  User Photo
    Antonio Melendez • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took a gamble on Lambda. I was going to school for CS. Had 2 children and working for full time making $18 a hour wasn’t cutting it. I need to accelerate my track to becoming a Software Engineer. I went to Lambda learned skills the industry wanted and landed a job as a Software Engineer making a great salary. Thank you Lambda.

• Rashmi Baheti  User Photo
    Rashmi Baheti • Student Verified via GitHub

I completed 6-month full-time computer Science course at Lambda School in April 2018. It has been my best decision so far! Lambda School is not easy, that is for sure! Before joining this school, I had some programing experience which made my life little easy. Joining Lambda School didn't just teach me web development and other computer science courses but also made me confident and most importantly independent! Instructors here are very knowledgeable. Some have industry experience of more than a decade while some have even published their own books on computer science! They all are very kind and generous. No question is a silly question according to them and they all were so helpful all the time! (I know its too much of positive feedback but that's what I felt for them)!

6-months I was there were very busy. Other than the official class hours (8am - 5pm PST) I had to find couple of hours everyday to have more grasp on the topic we learned. I stopped all my outings for those 6-months and focused only on my studies. After graduating I feel so confident about my knowledge on full stack web development. I keep improving my knowledge day by day by continuous learning.  I am looking for job opportunities right now, hoping to get one very soon! Lambda School is the best! No one can go wrong with this school!

PS: Lambda School sounds fishy.. or too good to be true. I know! That's what even I thought before joining this school. But you'll know the truth only after joining this school :)

• Adam Lower  User Photo
    Adam Lower • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It feels wrong to even call Lambda School a "bootcamp." It is so much more than that. It was a huge leap of faith for me to drop everything and dedicate 6 months full time to nothing but learning, but it was absolutely worth it. Lambda School's curriculum covers everything you need to know to get started as a software developer. The instructors are world class and are able to teach and guide students through challenging subjects with ease. My only regret is not finding out about Lambda School sooner. It sounds too good to be true, but it's not!

• Great.
    - 3/16/2018
    Sara  User Photo
    Sara • Project Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I was initially nervous about Lambda School. It seemed kind of too good to be true, in terms of the income share agreement. However, as soon as the course started it was apparent that everyone was focused on helping us develop.

Being able to still experience live lectures and interact with other students and instructors, while still being able to stay in my home, and not necessarily having to have childcare for my kids was a huge bonus and one of the main reasons I was able to enroll. Despite not being in a classroom setting, students are able to access project managers and instructors for video or text chat every day. Overall, there is a supportive and cooperative atmosphere.

The instructors are all professional and obviously passionate about the success of the students. They are open and supportive. The school responds quickly to critique and frequently seeks feedback from students. This feedback is put into place quickly.