helio-training-logo

Helio Training

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Helio Training

Helio Training offers full-time and part-time Web App Development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah. Helio Training was founded by Neumont University and aims to give students new, in-demand web development skills for the tech industry. The full-time program is 13 weeks, and the part-time program is 16 weeks, and both cover full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application.

Helio Training is an independent institution, but borrows from Neumont University’s experience in successfully training students to succeed in the tech industry. Courses at Helio Training are not eligible for college credit.

Recent Helio Training Reviews: Rating 4.2

all (56) reviews for Helio Training →

Recent Helio Training News

• Full-Stack Web App Development Advanced - Online

AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, CSS, Node.js, Front End
    Salt Lake City
    In this part-time, full-stack, web development course, you’ll spend 84 hours in synchronous, online sessions learning advanced web development technologies. You’ll learn advanced front-end development, the latest back-end server-side applications, and supporting data stores plus query languages. This course builds upon your existing, foundational full-stack skills and knowledge while adding an array of advanced full stack capabilities.
    Helio Training offer in house financing to make your tuition more affordable.
    We offer a US Military and Women in Technology scholarships.
    Must have completed Helio Training’s Full-stack Web Development Foundational Course or successfully complete code review and interview with a Full-Time Instructor.
  • Full-Stack Web App Development After-Hours

AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Salt Lake City
    The 14-week part-time coding bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. Classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6pm to 9pm, and Saturdays from 9am to 3pm.
    $100
    Skills Fund, In house options
    Basic computer skills
  • Full-Stack Web App Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby
    Salt Lake City
    The full-time 13-week bootcamp covers full-stack JavaScript, as well as career preparation – resume writing and mock interviews. Through in-class instruction, hands-on activities, and assignments, students will learn how to build a fully functional and responsive web application. Classes are Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
    $100
    Talk with us about financing options
    Basic computer skills
  • Full Stack Web Development ONLINE

AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
    Salt Lake City
    14 weeks/98 Total Hours in online sessions, approximately 12 hours of self-study each week Mondays and Wednesdays, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Full-stack web developers are critical members of all development teams. They understand the whole web development picture, which helps them make more informed decisions. In this part-time, full-stack, web development course, you’ll spend 154 hours in synchronous, online sessions learning key technologies that will make you the developer who can create a fully functional, highly usable, and responsive web application from end-to-end. You’ll learn front-end user interface development, the back-end server side applications, and the supporting databases behind the scenes. The skills you gain on this track will advance your career if you’re passionate about learning the industry’s most effective and widely used web development tools.
    We offer in-house financing, please contact us for more information.
    We offer in-house financing, please contact us for more information.
    Provided upon enrollment.
  • Software QA Testing

JavaScript, React.js, Penetration Testing, Node.js
    Salt Lake City
    In this full-time course, you’ll spend 240 hours in on-campus sessions exploring the need for testing, how to test, and ultimately automate this workflow to make sure you have all the essential regressions to stand up a solid defense of software. Quality assurance testing for software development is key to any company’s release of reliable useful technology. Testing is a small, but important piece of the software development life cycle. Quality assurance also serves as an entry-point in the competitive tech work space while allowing testers to explore where in development they want their career to go. Quality Assurance (QA) engineers are essential members on software development teams. In any industry, organizations have different preferences for testing their software. Testing and QA roles have become essential to teams frequently delivering quality software. Continuous integration and continuous development are usually coupled with an agile methodology to maintain order among frequent deployment chaos. As continuous integration and deployment become more common, these processes and methodologies are best coupled with an automated testing system. Following agile methodologies, a feature is declared done when it is tested and deployed. Testing is typically the last line of defense before software is released to suer. QA engineers are meaningful employees to any organization that builds software. As users expectations of higher quality software increases, so too does the demand for competent quality assurance engineers in the industry.
    In house financing available.
    Pre-work is provided upon enrollment.
  • UI/UX Design - Online

Salt Lake City
    User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX) designers are increasingly needed on all development teams. They don’t just know how to use the tools of digital design and development, they understand the underlying principles of design and user experience. They understand the theory behind social design, usability, interaction, and know how to implement designs using modern tools and software. The UI/UX designer is user-centered and adds value to an organization by designing experiences that users want. They conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches. They prototype and iterate designs until they produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in their professional portfolio. The modern UI/UX developer knows how to achieve great results using Photoshop, Illustrator, CSS, and Sketch. The skills you will gain from this course will help you advance your career in UI/UX and make you an invaluable member of modern development team. Technologies Learned:  Photoshop  Illustrator  CSS  User Research and Personas  Bootstrap and Frameworks  FlexBox  Sketch  Apple UI Principles  Material Design
    In-house financing available.
    Pre-work provided upon enrollment.
  • UNITY Certified Game Development - Online

C#, Game Development
    Rolling Start Date
    Salt Lake City
    If you would like to work in the game industry, a Unity certification is an awesome addition to your résumé. Helio Training now offers a game development bootcamp that fully prepares you for Unity Certified Developer Exam, and then teaches you to code all aspects of developing games within Unity. In this 16 week training course, you will learn the fundamentals of Unity including the interface, asset integration, lighting, animation, character control, navigation, AI, deployment, and more. Included as a part of the bootcamp experience, you earn Unity certification as you become a competent C# Unity developer. You’ll learn the fundamentals of variables, functions, loops, arrays lists, events, workflow, gameplay, graphics, physics, and how to leverage the capabilities of the Unity game platform. This program has been designed for beginners. Even if you have no coding experience, you can learn C# and Unity. We’ll start at the beginning and work fast to develop games.
    We offer in-house financing.  Please reach out to us for more details
    We offer in-house financing. Please reach out to us for more details
  • Unity Game Development - Immersive

Git, C#, Design, Game Development
    Salt Lake City
    Unity is one of the best ways to build games, mobile apps, AR (Augmented Reality) / VR (Virtual Reality) solutions, and is used in many other areas of business as well. Our course focuses on building indie games, 2D/3D games, while providing an emphasis on AR/VR projects. This course will help students develop games and solutions that will help them enter the tech industry and other industries that will utilize the Unity engine. In addition, this bootcamp prepares you for the Unity Certified Associate, Unity Certified Developer exam and 3D Artist exam. While developing your indie game in this 13-week training course, you will learn the fundamentals of Unity including the interface, asset integration, lighting, animation, character control, navigation and AI, deployment and much more!
    Financing Options Available via Skills Fund and In-House
    Women in Technology Military
    Pre-work provided upon acceptance and enrollment

• Clint Mossman • Student

I just went this past winter for the part time class. And the projects, curiculum, and teachers broke the class.

It was good at first when everything started off and was new, but classes got more in depth and things projects and homework didn't help me learn anything.

Eventually the curriculum was so thin, that in class would end short or we would spend half an hour at a time just sitting there. I've self-taught myself and I thought having mentors would help.

Usually the teachers would all congregate around one desk and talk about sports or stuff and weren't super helpful. We did 3 half finished projects that they didn't really check or keep you accounted, or spent time on.

Overall, just be ready to take what you can from it, but just understand, even though you may not pay as much for other places that do bootcamps, you won't probably get the same grade of projects either.

• Michael Corey  User Photo
    Michael Corey Verified via GitHub

I chose Helio because they demonstrated that they would be there for their student beyond the duration of the course. The opportunity to shadow a future class to further solidify one's knowledge and understanding seemed like a great way to support students that really wanted to stick with it but may have struggled through the class. So like they say if at first, you don't succeed try try again! So I was sold and enrolled ready to take on the challenge.

Jumping at the opportunity to get the precourse work done and completed before the class started was a great move. This helped to expose me to some of the things we would be learning more in-depth through the class but was just enough to help the first two weeks go smoothly without feeling lost or behind the class. Once we started to get more into JavaScript I found myself feeling a bit more confused but also building excitement. While I was starting to feel like I was having a hard time fully grasping the material I was starting to see more how it all came together and that my only limitations seemed to be my imagination.

Knowing fully well that this course was going to be a challenge before I signed up I was ready to work hard and persist. I continued to struggle through the troubles I was encountering with understanding the material. Asking some questions but also trying to do what I could to discover the answer on my own. One regret I have is not asking more questions when I found myself stuck and could not seem to find the answer.

My biggest obstacle was my own self-doubt. When things got hard and I felt stuck for all too long I found myself questioning my ability to really grasp and pick up the material we were going over. Thankfully I am persistent and determined. I started to work through some of the confidence issues I was having with a few small wins that showed me I was starting to understand.

I still struggle with things to this day but find myself looking forward to the challenge knowing that I will gain that much more confidence once I overcome it. The structure of the Helio program is not to teach you all that there is about web development but rather to guide you down the best path for learning how to learn the material. They focus to give you a solid foundation with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and various other tools and tech you will use in the industry but the main objective is to help you find the best path to continue learning on your own.

I completed the course getting proficiency before graduation and after taking a week to celebrate I was back on the computer to continue learning and start feeling like more of a master. I still struggled with somethings and after a few months going on my own learning journey, I found myself taking Helio up on that opportunity to shadow a class. It was not until I returned to the class that I realized just how much I had learned the first time around. It is easy to forget about how much you learned because there is so much to keep learning.  It was when I started to help others and work on teaching them what I learned when I really started to see just how great of an education Helio had provided. So thankful for the opportunity to shadow that is helping me step into the light and keep my dream alive.

• Karlee W  User Photo
    Karlee W • Business Analyst • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Full Stack/Full Time Web Dev Bootcamp at the Draper Helio Campus in the Fall of 2018.

About Me:

Before we begin, you need to know a just a few things about me.

In a bootcamp setting like Helio, every student joins with different levels of understanding in regards to Computer Science and Web Development. I had none- of either.  My background was in people management, sales and marketing. I was a basic ‘user’ with no prior exposure to the complex world of Computer Science or technical trades. I chose to attend a web dev bootcamp not because I absolutely knew I wanted to be a programmer but because I knew I needed to upskill myself in an environment of accountability with someone being a ‘sherpa’ to me in this big new world. I also knew this would be a challenge and having an in person resource 45 hours a week would give me ZERO excuses to fail.

My learning can be broken down into two basic components. What I learned about myself and what I learned about Web Development.

What I learned about Web Dev:

Helio will teach you (if you trust the process) Javascript, HTML, CSS and how to interact with your terminal like a real programmer. To make it a full stack you will learn about APIs, Database Schemas and basic CRUD operations. They will teach you how the languages are used within libraries and frameworks and the unique elements around each framework. Also you will learn about the Software Development Lifecycle and many, many, many more things not mentioned here.

What I learned about myself:

I can do hard things. Attending Helio has given me credibility with myself and the confidence I need to continually progress as a person who values technical skill sets. During the bootcamp, I was always totally out of my element. This is GOOD NEWS!  Growth only happens in the pain and the constant feeling of never really being sure about what I was doing and sorta just rolling with it is good for anyone to experience. Lastly, I walked away with a deep sense of pride in what I had accomplished. I was more proud of myself for finishing Helio with proficiency than a 4 year degree and many other professional experiences that I had previously held on high. Also, my problem solving skills significantly improved.

Advice to Future Students:

• Watch CS05 Lectures on YouTube for context about what you are doing.

• Do the pre-work they assign, multiple times.

• Take time to prepare yourself. While I do not suggest online training as a replacement for the bootcamp experience, it will serve as good context for what to expect when you do enter the bootcamp so you can ask better questions for clarity.

• Learn how to learn.

• Learn how to read documentation.

• You likely will want to give up many times- don’t do it. If you are open, you will NEVER regret this experience for many reasons listed above.

• This will be challenging. Breakdowns and freakouts are expected. Just when you think you understand something, a new element and level to understanding that thing will make you feel completely inadequate again. This is normal learn to enjoy it. In a sick way, I actually crave this now that I am graduated...time to upskill!!!!

Advice to Helio:

• Questions? My least favorite part. Questions? Huh… of course I have questions. About pretty much everything..where to even start?!?!?

Advice: Instead of waiting for the class to ask questions, it would be nice to have instructors check for knowledge to expose those black holes.

• Continue the lectures, and afternoon coding sessions. Also continue to review content multiple times for understanding.

• Continue to be supportive of your students! I cannot thank you all enough for your patience and support. The personal connection I had with everyone (instructors, career services and even the president of Helio) will not be forgotten. Special shout out to Wes and Tanner in Draper. Yall are Tops and I appreciate you so much!

• Make sure that students are aware of all the different career paths in tech. Programming might not be for everyone but being technically literate surely is!

• Keep the class sizes small. So great for 1:1 understanding and attention.

• Gabriel Elias Faudoa  User Photo
    Gabriel Elias Faudoa • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Helio is an awesome place to learn. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Be prepared to put in work though as this is not a passive learning environment, you will have to put in plenty of time to actually learn how to code as it is not simple memorization. Pricing is great compared to other bootcamps!

• Corey Bernsdorff  User Photo
    Corey Bernsdorff • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After fiddling around with a free online code school, a friend put me on to Helio Training. I got so lucky! There are several bootcamps in the SLC area, but from the research I've done, none compares to Helio Training. I initially signed up for the After Hours Fullstack course, but soon found myself without a job on a Friday. I called Matt up and he got me into the Fullstack Immersive course the following Monday.

The admissions dept ROCKS! It's been a thrill of a ride learning all the tech, peeling back the onion and looking behind the curtain, understanding how all the parts and pieces of the computing world interact. I was so excited to come to class everyday. When I went home, all I could think about was coding. I could never have learned and been exposed to all that I have been on my own.

The staff, instructors, and class mentors were fabulous. The expert help you recieve from the career services dept is without equal. Dave, the president of Helio Training, is on the sidelines cheering you on. He always wants to know how you are doing, what they can do better and is always willing to listen to your concerns. Everyone involved really wants you to succeed.

However, you have to do your part by coming to class committed, ready to learn and meet the checkpoints they have outlined for you, so that you can succeed. If you aren't willing to do that, you are shooting yourself in the foot and wasting your money. It was a great experience bonding with the class and making friendships that will last for years to come. Change your life and become a part of the HELIO family today!!

• Zachary Haynie  User Photo
    Zachary Haynie • Security Guard, aspiring Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This course may not be the most pleasant at all times (more on this later), but if you make the plunge, and you commit and work hard it'll be one of the best things you do.

The title of this post sums it up pretty well. Boot camps inherently will not be 100% pleasant. You're jamming everything together in a very short span to learn things.

As for myself, I'm a current student that's doing really well in class. I've dedicated a lot of time into researching languages and finding out what's going on behind the hood. If I could get one thing across it'd be that try to learn the best methods that help you learn on your own

If you come to Helio and expect to learn with no effort on your own part you will be dissapointed. If you come to Helio and expect to learn while missing half the days that class are held you will be dissapointed, and should re-examine yourself. Basically, they can't plug in a chip and teach you whatever you're coming for.

I'll be honest with you now, you cannot expect to know everything after this bootcamp. Anyone who tells you that you can learn everything about web development without years of experience is wrong. You need to work, you need to get serious, this is like learning another language (which it is).

A couple of recommendations for anyone joining:

• Attendance - How would you learn without being there? (Seems like a basic point but honestly, you won't do well if you don't show up)
    • Proactive Action - Have the confidence to push forwards yourself. The teacher will help you through guided learning, but you should be pushing the boundaries yourself. If you're ahead of the rest of the class, push forwards further as your teacher can't just abandon everyone else in the class.
    • Realistic Expectations - If you're a veteran in the industry and join a class with people trying to break in, you can't expect the entire class to cater to you. If you want an awesome career but only go into their part time class, or only put in half the effort, you'll be dissapointed. You pay for what you get for, and if you want the best, you need the advanced course in tandem with the part time (or just take the immersive).
    • Don't Give Up, but Don't Let Up - It will be stressfull. Relax and realize others have done this before, you'll make it. Try you best, realize you're still growing, and don't give up!

Don't rob yourself of future opportunities. If you work hard, and have a level head, you'll do great here. We're all human, and all the employees I've met here want you to succeed.

Is Helio perfect? No. Is it always pleasant? Not always. Could it be the best thing for you? You're damn right.

Just like eating vegetables.

• Shane Thomas Reeve  User Photo
    Shane Thomas Reeve • Front end UI Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Helio from Fed - May 2018. I was in the full stack immersive class. The class provides all the information on all the current technologies that are being used in the Salt Lake Area. Our instructor went through all of the coding languages that we were learning quickly and provided several placed to learn more and improve skill. In class, we were given the basics and expected to put in time after hours to dig deeper and improve our skills. We spent the first 8 weeks learning the current stack being used and the last 5 weeks are spent creating projects for our portfolio. During the last five weeks, we are allowed to customize our learning by asking what we are looking for in order to complete our project. The career assistance was amazing and gave great advice on how to write a resume, dos and don'ts of interviews, and mock interviews. Great place to learn to code and had an amazing experience but you get out what you put in and takes work but well worth it.

• Jessica Haight  User Photo
    Jessica Haight • Operations Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I have had such a great experience with Helio! When I first walked through the doors, I knew next to nothing about web development. Upon receiving my certification of proficiency, not only do I feel competent in the skills I've learned but I am able to incorporate my skills at a new job I've recently started.

The instructors are great and the space was friendly. I would highly recommend Helio to anyone interested in a web dev bootcamp.

-Jess

• Melissa K Conn  User Photo
    Melissa K Conn • Student Verified via GitHub

When I first started the part-time full stack course I knew very little about html/css and had basic computer skills. It was A LOT of information to cover in 14 weeks and you do need to study outside of class, with that said I was able to challenge myself to learn something completely different, become a better learner, and learn the latest programming languages and applications. You definitely get what you put in. I couldn't have done it without the support from the mentors, instructors, and staff!

- 6/5/2018
    Sterling Nak  User Photo
    Sterling Nak • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Last Month I had the privilege of graduating at Helio Training. I came here with no coding exerience and I left the school with more exerience then I ever dreamed i would. Helio Training has an amazing staff from the teachers, to the mentors, to the Career Advisor, to the President of Helio Training. There is no mistake that this has been a journey but it was worth it.

• Dissapointed
    - 4/30/2018
    Blu  User Photo
    Blu • Student Verified via GitHub

If I could turn back time, I think I would have chosen the bootcamp in my home state of Colorado instead of coming out to Utah for this bootcamp. There are issue that this bootcamp has to address starting with misleading things I was told during the initial phone conversations I had with an advisor. I was told that this bootcamp had connections and networks in Denver, that they are connected to Neumont University and have access to their alumni network and career services, however that was not true and I found out too late. As far as instruction, it is good, but you have to spend a lot of time on ypur own to study. I also notice that the mentor and teacher are not available to me as much as I would have liked, and they have expected me to use other resources like google to find the answer. The mentor also does not know everything and so there is difficulty in that as well because I am not able to progress in my project and ask questions because I will not recieve an answer. I am quite dissapointed in this experience. It was cheaper and more affordable than the bootcamps in Denver, but I would have loved to go to Turing or Galvanize instead and pay more because they have more networks in Denver. I would not recommend this to out of state students simply because they don't have a strong network.

Response From: David of Helio Training
    Title: President
    Tuesday, May 01 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.  We are always open to receiving feedback from our students.  We wish your experience was different and are disheartened to hear otherwise.  We are still hopeful that we can help your transition into the development field. Our current locations are only inside of Utah and we are working to expand our network to whatever areas our students want to end up.  With Neumont College of Computer Science being our sister organization, we do have alumni in many areas of the country that can be a great networking source for our graduates.  We are dedicated and working hard expand our network.
    One of our main intentions is to teach our students the basics of development and
    also teach them how to learn on their own.  Web development is always changing and will continue to do so in the future.  Our hope is that our graduates gain some great skills but also know how to become self-sufficient and research then solve their own problems.  We have retake and shadowing policies in place and will allow our students to retake the same course or shadow the same course for up to a year after completion.
  • Teresa B. Chavez  User Photo
    Teresa B. Chavez • Support & Implementation Specialist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at Helio Training has been great from the first point of contact with Admissions.  They answered every question I had, from which program would be best for me, to finance options to help pay for the bootcamp.

I tried to learn to code on my own, and I could only get so far until I realized the true value in going to a bootcamp.  Having a live intstructor and a class mentor, who were very knowledgable and available to answer our questions when we needed them was what I needed to break through.  They understand that some of us come from zero knowledge, and I never felt stupid for getting help during the course.  We went over a lot of content at a rapid pace, and I was able to complete a full stack application for final projects by the end, but I still have a way to go to really round out my skiils as a developer.  One of my biggest takeaways from the program is learning how to learn on my own, and now that my co-hort is over, I feel confident taking deeper dives into the stack we learned, and even moving forward learning other programming languages.

Career Services presented great workshops to help build our resumes, create our network on linkedIn, and prepare for interviews.  They had us starting to apply for jobs way earlier than I felt comfortable with, but just do what they say, and trust their process.  If you have any concerns, talk to the staff, and they will work with you at whatever level you are comfortable with.  We did mock interviews, which I initially didn't want to do, but it was one of the most helpful parts of the process for me.  We got helpful feedback on our performance and practice for the technical part of the interview.

From what I learned in class, and following the steps that Career Services set forth, I received a job offer the day before my bootcamp ended.  It is a perfect fit for where I am in my development career.  I will be using HTML, CSS, and Javascript as a Support Specialist at a tech company.  They have encouraged me to continue my education, letting me know that most people that start at this role grow into web developer, software engineer, or QA positions within the company.  I couldn't be more excited about what is ahead.

I made some great friendships in class, and Helio is still there, encouraging those who are still completing proficiency or are still in the job hunt, to use the downtown facility to continue developing until we find a job.  You also have a year to shadow or re-take a class if you need more time to get it.

As it has been said in other reviews, you get out of this what you put in to it, so show up, participate, make mistakes, engage your fellow students, and learn to love the process.  It is very challenging, but very rewarding if you stick with it.

Helio's Full Stack Web Development bootcamp is for anyone, of any age, who wants to level up in life.

• James Sakurai  User Photo
    James Sakurai • Junior Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

During my time at Helio Training I was challenged daily and learned many new skills. My instructor Wes is very knowledgeable and was always willing to help with any questions that I had.  I really enjoyed the structure of the class time split evenly between lecture and time to work on your own with help available to you if you get stuck.  Career Services was very helpful in preparing me for interviews and making sure my resume looked great.  Amy also is available for job support after graduation.  I am very glad I chose to attend this school and would recommend it highly to anyone.

- 4/13/2018
    Zachary Merris  User Photo
    Zachary Merris • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I honestly wish I could talk to anyone conisdering a software bootcamp (in Utah) and suggest this program.  The structure is set up in such a way that it strikes a perfect balance between instruction and hands-on learning.  The staff, from instructors, to admissions advisors, to career services personnel, Helio knows what to teach you and how to teach it.

• Blake  User Photo
    Blake • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I initially started the course during January 2017.  Because of life circumstances and work I had to drop the course but Helio was right there to help me out.  They allow you to retake the course within the first year of taking it and I was able to start up again in November 2017.

By the end of the course I felt fairly comfortable with my ability to create a full stack application from start to finish.  The pacing was fast (but you don't go into a bootcamp thinking otherwise) but very manageable.  The instructors were awesome and approachable and very helpful when anyone was stuck.  I am happy that I took the course through Helio and grateful that they are great people to work with and understand that sometimes life just gets in the way.

I have not taken advantage of the Job Assistance but from what I saw it was excellent.  I wasn't currently in the market for a job but if I was I would certainly be leveraging their career services as well.

• Douglas Soule  User Photo
    Douglas Soule • Junior Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I finished Helio's fulltime fullstack bootcamp and could not have been happier with my experience. I had struggled for a few years after not having a good college experience and really wanted an opportunity other than a 4-year degree and 50k+ in student debt. When I found Helio it ended up being a perfect fit. Weston helped me complete my application in January and continued to follow up atleast once every two weeks to make sure I was not having any trouble with pre-work and had not further questions. Day to day class is arranged in 1-2 hour blocks of lectures/examples/discussion followed by a 15ish minute break. If anyone had to miss a day due to any reason, the instructor was excellent at working the class schedule to accomadate that and keep everyone moving forward and learning. After 12/13 weeks we had a showcase that compared class projects of Helio Students to that of Neumont College students, this highlighted how a 13 week bootcamp puts you at roughly the same level of job readiness. Tyler Garlick is the head instructor and was my classes teacher. Tyler is not only on top of what is going on today in industry, but he knows what is going on tomorrow. Career services is excellent for those with little to no experience job searching in a professional enviornment. Jeremiah helped me set up my LinkedIn page and resume for maximum effectiveness aswell as pointing me in the direction of recruiters. The more you talk to and use jeremiah the bigger help he is, if you never talk to him or listen to him, he will not be able to help you. At graduation Helio invited recruiters and hiring companaies to view our project showcases and give us an opportunity to talk to them about jobs.

• John  User Photo
    John • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience with Helio Training has not only been a transformative one, but, one that has opened my eyes to the possibilities that exist in the world of technology and software development. Having taken the course, I am now proud to say I have successfully applied the material I have learned to advance my career and find meaningful employment in a fast-paced and innovative technology company. The instructors are of an incredibly high caliber and deliver instruction in creative, effective, and understandable ways. The instructors and mentors never are always highly available and enthusiastic when assisting students, working with the students on solving the issue at hand. Ultimately, my experience with Helio Training has been nothing short of incredible - I would, without hesitation, recommend Helio Training to anyone wanting to add pursue a new, challenging, and meaningful opportunity in life.

• UI/UX Design
    - 7/30/2019
    Antonio • Graduate

Wanted to take an in-person course to learn more about UI and UX. Ended up being an online course. Class outline and expectations were never clear. Instructor had excuses for coming in late all the time and/or moving the class to be online. It felt as though he didn't plan classes ahead of time and would just wing it. Very disorganized. I don't feel like I learned much than what I knew before. I ended up going out of my way to teach myself how to use certain programs and learn UI/UX. Total waste of time and money.

• UI/UX DESIGN
    - 7/23/2019
    Hayden Couch • Graduate
    Absolute SCAM - would give zero stars if I could - do not enroll at Helio, go anywhere else. I took their "ux design" "course" and it could not have been more unorganized - the instructor could not have been more scatterbrained & would come to class with no agenda or cancel class moving it to an online lecture. This is copy & pasted from the description of the course on their website: "In this course, you will gain an understanding of the theory behind social design, usability, and interaction. Additionally, you’ll learn how to implement designs using modern tools and software. You’ll learn by doing as you conduct research and produce useful personas, scenarios, and design sketches in this part-time course. Then, you’ll prototype and iterate your designs until you produce user interfaces and interactions that are worthy of placement in your professional portfolio. " I or anyone else who took this course will tell you that this is an absolute lie. Nothing promised was ever done in class - I am no closer to being a ux designer than I was before. The only thing taught by the instructor to us was HTML & Bootstrap - which was literally not even in the description of the class when I signed up (and not to mention, would just be a nice extra thing to know as a ux designer - the ux design process was never taught in this class) So much time & money was wasted - me and my classmates have all gone to the president David Preece & explained the situation in full detail & have all received the same canned response. David could not care any less - he's gotten his money, so he's happy. "No refunds, you can take the course again" - not to mention, the instructor is still working at Helio teaching multiple courses, so they're obviously satisfied with his work. Please just save yourself from this - you would get just as much - if not more - out of watching YouTube tutorials & doing free online courses to try & learn how to be a UX designer. I'm disgusted at how little we were taught in this course & I can't believe how much money was scammed out of all of us.
  • Fast pace course
    Shane jacobson • Student

If you really are hungry to learn then I suggest Helio's full time 3 month course. The course is intense but with the immersive approach you learn so much. They really focus on teaching you how to learn and advance in coding. They have a full time job services instructor that helps you prepare your resume and find the job that works for you. It is definitely a course where you will get out of it what you put into it.

Austin Peterson • Programmer • Student

Helio was a great experience! The teachers and mentors are extremely helpful. The career service guides they offer gave me great pointers to secure my position. I'm extremely happy with my entire experience.

Laura Coombs • Student

Helio is one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to attend here. The schools sole focus is the students. The course curriculum is built to force you to grow and progress. I have never been so challenged  in my life. It is frustrating and it is hard but the teachers and mentors and advisors all believe in the process and they believe in the students. No matter how hard it gets. I have learned more than I ever thought possible and I have grown more than I knew I could. Go talk to them. Check it out :)

• Daniel Zimmerman • Graduate

Helio Training provided a great atmosphere for learning full-stack web development. I picked Helio based on the culture of the faculty and their guarantee of a job within 6 months. I really enjoyed the staff, mentors, and the director of academics. He helped to expose us to lots of the current best practices and trends in web development technology to help us to be valuable in the industry. Much of the time spent at Helio was working in a group atmosphere and trying to build out a group project. I loved the group I was in!

Helio is a great fit for you if you are the type that can go out and research and self learn. It really depends a lot on your preferred learning style and your drive and passion to be successful. Some people like a more structured learning environment, while others like the freedom to explore and learn for themselves. The good thing at Helio, is they have different instructors for whatever fits your schedule or style. They have great instructors for the immersive and after-hours class. When choosing, I would ask about the teaching style of the instructor of the course you will take to make sure it matches with the way you learn and your expectations.

Helio also has built-in career-service workshops that are super helpful for making your resume stand out and preparing you for interviews. I was able to do two mock interviews with an employee at PluralSight who gave me great feedback and helped boost my confidence. I really appreciated that!

One challenge that I faced that many bootcampers face at any bootcamp is landing that first job after the bootcamp is over.  I had expectations that it would be a relatively smooth transition in a job and that the industry was really seeking out graduates from bootcamps, however, many companies in the industry are not at the point. There was a real struggle to land that first job (91 applications over 2 1/2 months), but eventually I did and I'm so happy I made this choice. Thanks Helio Training!

• My Helio Family
    - 8/30/2018
    William Cottam • Software Engineer • Graduate

As I was researching bootcamps in the Salt Lake area, I stumbled upon an ad from Helio Training. After looking into their bootcamp further and meeting with Matt from Admissions, I felt like it would be a good fit for me and my family. The 13 weeks I spent at the bootcamp was a crazy roller coaster of emotions, but in the end, I am so grateful to the administration and staff for the way they conducted themselves. It is not an easy 13 weeks, but I promise if you come willing to work hard and put your heart into it, it is so worth it. The education I received at Helio Training has put me on a path to not only help my family, but also all those around us. The staff at Helio care and I thank them for that! You won't regret becoming part of the Helio family.

• Trust the Process!
    - 7/12/2018
    Josh R. • Student

One of the main reasons I picked Helio over other Bootcamp courses was their willingness to answer all of my questions (no matter how rediculous my questions seemed) over the phone instead of just telling me to read their curriculum. They made me feel like they valued me as a potential student. Once the class started it was rough because they really focus heavily on you actually coding. (So sitting there struggling for 30mins trying to accomplish a simple task, instead of you copying the code that they are writing in their lectures) I can honestly say that you will learn more by struggling with a simple task than copying elaborate code.  If you lack any sort of initiative you will fall behind and become very discouraged. Like the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink". If you trust the instructors and really give it 110% effort you'll come out with a lot to show for. They do an amazing job teaching you the fundamentals and showing you amazing resources for you to go and learn more on your own. They really stress "Teaching you how to Learn" instead of being a code monkey. Also, their Career Services is great at what they do. They cover everything from resumes, cleaning up your LinkedIn pages, Tech Interviews, and how to advertise yourself! In Summary, If you trust their process ( I mean really TRUST it!!! it can become very discouraging and you will feel like you aren't learning anything at times) and give it 110% you won't be disappointed in your decision to go with Helio.

• Steve S. • Digital Media Manager • Graduate

The facility was nice and modern and the staff were always willing to help and very friendly. The teachers know what they are talking about and are professionals in the field. In-class mentors are very helpful and often recent graduates of the program, so they understand what current students are going through and can help solve problems. I really have no complaints with the course other than the curriculum was a little all over the place. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would have had an easier time learning HTML, CSS, and JS first and then moving on to react and CRUD operations.  But they have a unique challenge in cramming all of the content in to a very short timeframe, so working out the bugs and having a smooth running class will take a little trial and error.  Overall a great experience and I learned a ton! It is definitely overwhelming, but you should understand that before getting involved in a bootcamp learning environment. It isn't a magic solution to getting a higher paying job, you need to be willing to put in a ton of hard work.  I plan on using this work to strengthen my UX/UI portfolio.