hackeryou-logo

HackerYou

HackerYou

HackerYou offers a 9-week, full-time web development immersive, and an 8-week, part-time web development course in Toronto, Canada. HackerYou’s full-time Web Development Immersive bootcamp covers HTML5 & CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, API and WordPress as well as non-technical skills like personal branding, finding and managing clients, and growing a business. HackerYou's part-time courses are Web Development Fundamentals & Advanced Web Development, JavaScript Fundamentals & Advanced JavaScript, UX Fundamentals & Advanced UX, and a Full-Stack Masterclass. Part-time classes run in the evenings, twice a week for 8 weeks or on weekends, once a week for 8 weeks. The programs focus on hands-on, project-based learning from industry-leading professionals with small classes and a 10:1 ratio of students to instructors. By the end of the web development programs, students have a great website and portfolio, and the knowledge, tools, and skills needed to succeed as developers.

HackerYou is ideal for people looking to climb the corporate ladder, upgrade their skills, or start a new career. Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online form describing their background and experience, and participate in a video or in-person interview. For the full-time immersive course, students should have a high school diploma or equivalent, and demonstrate knowledge of HTML and CSS.

For job seekers, HackerYou helps students craft a technical resume, nail an interview, and negotiate their salary via career coaching. The curriculum covers personal branding and how to position yourself to employers. At the end of the course, HackerYou hosts Industry Day where students can network with hiring partners and showcase their portfolios.

Recent HackerYou Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (204) reviews for HackerYou →

Recent HackerYou News

Read all (5) articles about HackerYou →
  • Advanced JavaScript (Part-time)

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Toronto
    The course will builds upon the JavaScript and jQuery fundamentals learned in the introductory course. In the course, we will cover advanced topics such as building modular and reusable code, working with HTML5 audio and video, integrating Google Maps, and most importantly working with AJAX and JSON APIS to pull in data from other websites and services. As always, everything is taught through a series of hands-on exercises, code-alongs and projects. Graduates of JavaScript Fundamentals are eligible to take Advanced JavaScript for only $500.
    Strong understanding of the basics of JavaScript & jQuery required to take this class.
    Interview
  • Advanced UX Design (Part-time)

Design, User Experience Design
    Toronto
    In this course, students will explore advanced topics such as emotional design, empathy mapping, systematic design, human-centred design and user testing. Students will improve and apply their skills to effectively define problems, scope target audiences, iterate, conduct “discovery phases,” conduct design research, prototype, critique, handle errors, and future map, among others. Lessons will be discovered by participants through hands-on, project based exercises. For their capstone project, students will use design thinking to solve a problem of their choosing, giving each student the opportunity to build a portfolio piece relevant to their interests. Have an idea for an app? Use this project to finally give it the attention it deserves by taking the idea through every step of the UX Design process. You’ll create a unique portfolio piece that showcases your UX skills - and maybe even a product ready for development! Graduates of UX Design Fundamentals are eligible to take Advanced UX Design for only $500.
    Previous experience in UX Design, or our Introduction to UX course (or equivalent) required. Ideal for designers and developers looking to move into UX roles.
    Interview
  • Advanced Web Development (Part-time)

HTML, jQuery, CSS
    Toronto
    This course will give students the skills needed to design and create a responsive website for laptops, phones, tablets, and beyond using the latest HTML5 and CSS3 techniques. It will also dive deeper into CSS, Flexbox, transitions, animations, SASS, JavaScript and jQuery and teach participants the very latest and greatest techniques for creating even richer web experiences. Graduates of Web Development Fundamentals are eligible to take Advanced Web Development for only $500.
    Students must have basic HTML and CSS knowledge, or have completed Introduction to Web Development (or equivalent) to take this course.
    Interview
  • Full Stack Masterclass (Part-time)

MongoDB, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Express.js, React.js, Node.js
    Toronto
    This unique course is designed to help bootcamp graduates prepare for the next stage in their career. You did it - through hard work and dedication, you became a professional developer sans computer science degree. But you know that there are things people learn in Computer Science programs that would be useful to you. If you could combine your practical web development skills with some of these foundational Computer Science concepts, all while applying what you’re learning to develop full-stack development skills, you’d be almost unstoppable. Enter HackerYou’s Full-Stack Masterclass. Using a format that’s entirely new to HackerYou based on what we know bootcamp graduates want and need, this 57-hour, nine-week part-time course is designed to fill in your gaps, push you to level up and ultimately narrow the gap between you and the Full-Stack Developer you admire most.
    Code 2175). Freelance web developers are welcome to apply. This course is ideal for Bootcamp graduates (whether you attended HackerYou’s bootcamp or another one) and self-taught developers.
    Interview
  • JavaScript Fundamentals (Part-time)

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Toronto
    Learning JavaScript and jQuery will take your websites to the next level by making them dynamic and interactive. This course will give any HTML & CSS developer the skills they need to unlock the full potential of front-end web development. This course will start with an introduction to JavaScript and the fundamentals of the programming language. We will then work our way through understanding and using jQuery, a JavaScript library, to select, interact and manipulate elements on our page.
    Strong grasp of HTML & CSS
    Interview
  • UX Design Fundamentals (Part-time)

Design, User Experience Design
    Toronto
    Forget about other UX courses you’ve heard about - this course goes far beyond just wire-framing. In this course, you’ll dive into topics such as cognitive design patterns in UI & UX, micro-interactions principles, personals and mental models, interaction design foundations, the art & science of interviewing users, and finally, visual language principles, and more. As always, lessons will be discovered by participants through a series of hands-on, project-based exercises, and through a final project where students will have the chance to use design thinking to solve a specific, real-world problem of their choosing. This will help bring all the concepts together with an original, portfolio-worthy display of their UX skills.
    This course is perfect for people working as designers or developers, as well as graduates of our part-time design or web development courses.
    Interview
  • Web Development Fundamentals (Part-time)

HTML, CSS
    Toronto
    Join us for HackerYou's most popular part-time course. You'll learn HTML5 and CSS3, build websites and collaborate with a group of people just like you – people who know that learning to code is going to help them take their careers to the next level. With an intense focus on hands-on, project-based learning, this course will give you the opportunity to learn directly from some of Toronto’s most talented developers and and discover how to create beautiful, functional websites from scratch.
    This course is designed for beginners.
    Interview
  • Web Development Immersive (Bootcamp)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Front End
    Toronto
    At HackerYou’s nine-week bootcamp, you’ll learn HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, APIs, React and Firebase.– all the skills you need to become a junior web developer. The program is nine weeks long, during which you’ll join us at HackerYou HQ five days a week from 10 am to 6 pm daily. We’ve assembled an all-star team of talented professional developers and they can’t wait to teach you everything they know. With 315 hours of class time and hundreds of exercises, plus a major project assignment every step of the way designed to help you to develop the skills you’ll need to succeed as a junior web developer, you’ll leave HackerYou’s bootcamp not only with a certificate, but also ready to jump into a brand new role. Get ready for the learning experience of a lifetime.
    Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, or for Mature Students, you must have achieved a score of 18 on the Wonderlic Mature Test.

• Meagan • Student

I am two days away from finishing the part-time Web Development (Fall 2017) course and cannot say enough fantastic things about HackerYou. The folks coordinating admissions we always quick to reply to any questions I had prior to the course and were available throughout the course to land a hand.

The space is clean and organized and very bright; a perfect work environment regardless of the time of day.

As for the course itself, I was going in as a complete beginner. I can honestly say that this course taught me so much and has prepared me for the Bootcamp and beyond. I'll be leaving this course with enough knowledge to feel very confident in my skills in html5, css3 and jQuery fundamentals. The instructors and mentors were unbelievably helpful and knowledgeable. Despite the amount of information I learned, they were patient and made sure we were all confident before moving on.

I can (and happily have) recommended this course to others.

• Vincent Dang • Student

My experience at HackerYou has been such an amazing time to learn how to code awesome websites. I was first introduced to HTML and CSS from taking a course in college which allowed me understand how coding worked. The moment when you figure out how to get specific codes to work together is such a satisfying accomplishment like if you were to solve a math problem and you get to the answer. I wanted to learn more about coding websites after that introduction course and found out about HackerYou through friends. It was after a thorough research of the school that I decided to take a course and see how the classes are like and I do not regret it one bit. Learning basic HTML and CSS foundations helped me understand and build upon on the knowledge that I already learned. When we started diving into advanced HTML and CSS lessons, it was just adding on more intricate pieces on the skills that I already knew which didn’t confuse me at all. The curriculum of the whole course was well taught at a good pace that I could keep up with and the HackerYou Instructor and Mentor team were so helpful along the journey. If you ever want to start to learn how to code, HackerYou would be a great place to help anybody that wants to do so as an extra skill to know or to change their careers. Through this experience in web development part time, it has inspired me to become a front-end web developer in the future as my career.

• Push yourself!
    - 12/21/2018
    Christina Laba • Interactive Developer • Graduate

This class pushed me past the 'safe zone'. I learnt a lot of new and exciting concepts. I use javascript at my job everyday so this class was exactly what I was looking for in terms of pushing me further into the world of JS.

The teacher was funny, engaging and very knowledgable. 100% recommend takign a class with Karley Potter! Was excited to have been able to walk away with a fully functioning React app.

• Jeremy Dryden • Student

This is the second course I've taken this year at HackerYou. The quality of instruction and overall experience was again fantastic. My skills were pushed further, and I'm a better programmer than 2 months ago. The mentors helped through any 'hicups' with my code (and other strange things along the way).

I'm attending the HackerYou bootcamp in January, and with the updated curriculum I feel very strongly that I'm in a much better position to succeed. I'm looking forward to my eventual career change.

• Alex S

This review is for the Part-Time Web Development and Advanced Web Development course. Applying for the HackerYou part-time web development course was one of the best decisions I made this year. Prior to taking this course I was learning on my own through various online resources where some were great and others not so much. I had started to take these online courses because I wanted to get a taste of what web development was like and see if I could make a career change into becoming a developer. I had learned a lot and even applied to the HackerYou bootcamp but my foundation was not fully there and didn’t get in. Sarah (the HackerYou Admissions Manager) was the point person who I corresponded with who encouraged me to take the part-time web dev course to build a stronger foundation.

After taking the course I can definitely say that I had a learning experience that I could not have reproduced learning on my own. Tom, our instructor, was a great teacher who kept us engaged with his positive attitude, humour and immersive material. The lessons were broken up into learnable chunks with helpful code alongs we did as a class and with teaching assistants that were there to help us. Throughout the course we worked on 3 projects where we had to make a website. There was a lot of trial and error making the sites but the lessons provided a good foundation to work off of. There were a lot of helpful tips and tricks I learned as well like focusing on accessibility, best practices and current trends. Overall, taking this course was definitely an investment of time and money but I would say it was well worth it!

• Bojan P • Graduate

This course has been amazing. The content is clear and the level of progression in the assignments is perfect. It also helps that Tom is a great instructor and makes the lectures fun. The mentors also have been very helpful during class and even off hours.

I decided to do this course because I knew I wanted to apply to the Bootcamp (aka Web Development Immersive) but needed a little bit of HTML and CSS knowledge. Meeting with the admissions coordinator helped and made it clear that the application to the Bootcamp is competitive which also solidified my decision to do this part-time course.

Overall, I think this course is a perfect place to start whether you want a career in Web Development but have little to no experience (like myself) or if you just want to learn a new fun skill.

• Christina Greene • Student

A few friends of mine took part-time classes and the full-time bootcamp at HackerYou so I have only ever heard amazing things about the school. I took a free intro class with another school in Toronto to dip my foot in the web world but it was an obvious choice with HackerYou. The environment is fun and friendly and the learning style is positive and reinforcing. All of the lesson materials are simplified and laid out nicely which help with the sometimes complex language of the internet. Although the part-time program is fast-paced, the instructors ensure that everyone is on the same page and take the time to truly help you if you don't quite understanding something. The exercises and projects aid in the student's comprehension of the material and I feel as though I am prepared to apply for the full-time bootcamp in the spring! I highly recommend HackerYou if you are looking to learn a new skill or are interested in a complete career change!

• Ty Lively

This review is for the part-time Intro and Advanced Web Development course.

This is a great package of courses for those who are new to coding! For some background, I have little to no prior coding experience and found these courses to be pretty fast-paced, but not unreasonable. You learn a lot in a short amount of time and should be able to create some advanced web layouts by the end. Tom is an excellent instructor and did a great job at conveying the information to students, while simultaneously fending off the constant heckling by one student. I do wish the class had more order though as the persistent heckling made for an unwelcoming learning environment - this is more of a criticism of that student rather than on HackerYou or Tom.

My biggest complaint is that each course only has 1 day of office hours which is simply not enough. For the premium price we pay (and it’s increasing btw) there should be at minimum two days of office hours per course. It also takes a while to receive feedback on projects which makes it hard to start on the next project when you don’t have any feedback on the previous project. The last issue I see is a clear lack of room in the building to accompany all the students trying to study. Basically, if you’re not in the bootcamp, you don’t have a place to study.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and learned a lot! Thank you to all the mentors and Tom for doing such an excellent job!

• Michael Yiu

Most likely going to be one of the most pivotal decisions I've made in my life. Before HackerYou, I was more or less lost. I had been in a job as a developer before and then a year as a web administrator. I was plagued with 'imposter syndrome' and my confidence in my own skills as a developer were, by and large, low.

I made a decision to go to HackerYou after one of my friend, she had a friend who had taken the bootcamp at HackerYou in the past and she had known about the issues I was facing career-wise. She encouraged me to try the part-time and then go full-time if I liked it and I'm forever thankful to her after listening to her recommendation.

I loved everything about the bootcamp, it was such a mind-blowing experience. The instructors that I had in Ryan and Danny were some of the most awesome instructors I've had in my life. There's actually an insane difference of environment between the university environment and the environment here. My classmates were trying their best, helped each other out and I honestly felt as though there was a big sense of comraderie amongst us and all the instructors and mentors (Zoe, Adam) were doing their best to bring the best out of us.

Best of all, it reinforced what I had already knew. I was already a developer but I was in such a huge rut because I just thought I sucked. I thought that I didn't belong in the development world and whether I should have pursued something else. Interestingly, that 'something else' may turn out to be teaching or mentoring as part of my experience at HackerYou was teaching fellow classmates JavaScript and programming concepts and seeing them 'get it' was really rewarding for me.

Also, I really appreciate the efforts of Christopher, Charlotte, Brandon, Sarah and the administrative team. They definitely made sure that questions, concerns, inquiries were tended to and always hosted these little games and videos of inspirations and other miscellaneous things to raise the morale and spirit of the class (it worked).

I could honestly write a book about how amazing this place is, but I'll just say that I've said goodbye to the imposter syndrome and that no one can break my confidence as a developer now.

• Shai • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

I am beyond ecstatic that I made the choice to come to HackerYou, It was literally the best decision I’ve made in my entire life. Not only has it given me a brand new career, but it is also given me confidence and strong community with endless support.

Before HackerYou I was working in the Insurance industry and really did not feel passionate about my career, I took a Ladies Learning to Code work shop on whim to learn something new and get out of my comfort zone and it was that workshop that ignited my journey to becoming a Developer.  One of the Mentors in my workshop had just finished the HackerYou BootCamp and was giving it such high regard, I knew then that I was going to make the decision to change my career  and it was HackerYou or bust !

I took the Part time Web Development class which really helped me solidify the basics of coding, I would definitely recommend taking a class if you are interested in code at all.  I started the BootCamp in July of 2018 as the 19th Cohort of HackerYou,  It was probably the most intense thing I’ve experienced, I learned so much in a short period of time with tight turn arounds for projects so I could apply concepts I just learned. I literally had no social life for the summer but it was so worth it, I gained 37 new friends!  I had support from amazing Instructors, Mentors, Staff and my Cohort that motivated me to push through and come out as Web Developer on the other side.

After BootCamp It took me 3 weeks to find a job as  Developer, It was thanks to Heathers BootCamp ( after Bootcamp ) job search that really sets HackerYou Applicants apart.

I really cannot express how grateful I am that I am HackerYou alumni,  I am living my best life thanks to HackerYou !

• jaimie jewell • Law Clerk • Student

I chose HackerYou because of all of the positive reviews online - these reviews are not wrong! I took the Part Time Web-Dev Fundamentals & am currently in the Advanced portion. I'd suggest taking both of them - the Advanced portion takes everything you learn in Fundamentals so much further and gives you the solid foundation you need to confidently build a website. Prior to taking this course I had virtually no experience in web development, finishing the course, I can build professional sites that you'd actually come across online. The instructor and mentors are wonderful, they bring their individual experiences to each class and are incredibly knowledgeable. The instructor and mentors use current and relatable examples to get content across. The content and speed of the course are excellent, and every lesson is supplemented with a ton of practical exercises, some that you do in class and others that you can do in your own time. The projects for the courses are great opportunities to apply everything you've learned and the instructor and mentors are there to guide you and provide constructive one-on-one feedback. My learning experience at HackerYou was a lot of fun, I love the culture and I would definitely recommend HackerYou to anyone thinking about pursuing Web Development.

• Susie • Graduate

After graduating university with a design degree, I was feeling lost and directionless. I realized the creative industry had changed drastically during my four years of study, and starting salaries for entry-level design jobs were not very appealing. I decided to explore different directions and as I always had an interest in coding, I thought a coding bootcamp might be worth a try. After lots of research I applied to HackerYou as they had the very best reviews, and now having completed the bootcamp I can see what all the hype is about.  Only a month after graduating (with a two week vacation in between!) I received multiple offers and landed a great develper job with a competitive salary. It's important to realize that this isn't a magical way to "pay your way" to a new career, it's HARD work! Getting accepted can be challenging as well, as it is a very selective program; I got in on my second try. I took the part-time JavaScript course before I got accepted, and I highly recommend it as it will speed up your learning in the bootcamp (which means more time to make your projects/portfolio super sick!) But once you're in, it's absolutely worth it. The instructors are experienced, engaging, and make learning fun and enjoyable. The curriculum is very up-to-date and in-demand in the job market. What's really priceless though are the connections you'll form as part of the HackerYou family. The HackerYou alumni community is so supportive and friendly, you'll never want to leave! I was very happy with the job assistance they provided as well. Having no related experience, I was skeptical of my ability to find a developer position but Heather (the CEO) coaches you every step of the way. She teaches you how to land your dream job and helps you with applications and negotiations. My employer remarked they were very impressed with the level of knowledge and professionalism I and the other HackerYou grads they interviewed displayed. Just follow Heather's job hunting guide and you will get a job; it's that simple. You will get out of the bootcamp what you put into it and if you've been accepted, you have what it takes to start a new career in web development. If you have any reservations, I recommend taking their part-time courses, or one of the many free workshops they offer as well. It's truly a wonderful school and I couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

• Rafaela Lewis • Student

I can’t recommend HackerYou highly enough! I had looked at a couple of schools and decided on HackerYou after my initial interview with Jenny, who was wonderful – she took the time to answer all of my questions thoughtfully and provided an awesome overview of each program.

I entered into the part-time Web Development course in Summer 2018 with no previous coding experience, and am amazed by the progress I’ve made in only three months. For my final project in the course, I made a multi-page website that has elements of jQuery and JavaScript.

The facilities are beautiful, the curriculum is spot-on, and my instructor Jazz and mentors, Allison and Meagan were approachable knowledgeable and made the material FUN.

I’ve already taken on a couple of projects for small businesses and I can’t wait to return to HackerYou to further my education. This school has honestly changed my life.

• Maggie • Junior UX Designer • Graduate

At 34 years old I was stuck in a minimum wage job while trying to run my own small business and I wanted to change the direction of where I was going. Next week, I turn 35 and start my first job in the web dev world as a Junior UX Designer/Developer. I have HackerYou to thank for that! Read on if you'd like to learn more about my journey from Barista to Developer:

At the start of 2018, after a lot of self-reflection and thinking about what I would enjoy doing, I decided to look into UX/UI and web development. At first I was interested in taking HackerYou's part-time UX course, so I set up an in-person consultation with Sam, one of the Admissions Coordinators. We had a great chat, but the UX course was geared towards those who had some experience in the industry/with coding, so he recommended me start with the part-time Web Development course to see if it was something I'd like and be interested in pursuing. Well, I loved it. After that course, I took the part-time JavaScript. I think my instructors Kristen (web dev) and Tiff (JavaScript) had a huge impact on how much I enjoyed learning at HackerYou. I decided to take the next step, applied for bootcamp and got my acceptance letter in June 2018.

You can find the current bootcamp curriculum on HackerYou's site as it changes to keep up-to-date with the ever-changing industry, but in my cohort (Summer 2018), we spent the first couple of weeks revising HTML5 and CSS3, then the bulk of the course focussed on JavaScript, jQuery, React, Firebase, Git and Github. Weekly projects made sure we were practising and using everything we were covering and it also helped with learning how to prioritise our time and work in pairs and groups. The instructor to student ratio was great, so you could quickly ask for help and feedback. By the end of the bootcamp, you will be ready to job hunt with a portfolio site!

What can't be beat is the HackerYou community. I've met the most amazing people in my cohort and made lifelong friends. Everyone had their own origin story and that made it even more interesting and encouraging. There is also so much support in all aspects of the bootcamp. The instructors and staff are all friendly and helpful and they really want their students to succeed. Heather, the CEO worked with us one-on-one after the bootcamp and gave us feedback and advice for our job-hunt. I got my first offer within a month of graduating, and I'm stoked to have had this opportunity.  If you are thinking of a career-change and like learning in a classroom surrounded by amazing students and staff then don't hesitate to choose HackerYou. Set up a consultation, get a feel for the environment and programs, and change your life :)

• KATHERINE NAVARRO

As an HTML/CSS developer, I have often mulled over learning JavaScript. This past summer, I finally took the leap and enrolled in the part-time JavaScript Fundamentals and Advanced courses at HackerYou.

I chose HackerYou because my daughter is an alumna and I was a first-hand witness to her excellent learning experience when she did the Web Dev course. HackerYou prepared her well for a web development career and gave her confidence to step into the tech world. She enjoyed the HY community so much that after finishing the program, she went back to mentor in a few courses.

Now, I can personally say that it was, indeed, an amazing learning experience! To start, HY is a very welcoming environment. Every HY staff I met was nice. My instructors and mentor (Jordan, Trudy, and Garrett) were knowledgeable and very accommodating; they always made sure no one got left behind in class. I liked the relaxed, but well-structured classes. I never felt uncomfortable asking questions.

The code-alongs were very engaging and I liked that they explained what each snippet of code does. I also learned a lot about the coding process—the analysis, the psuedocode, how to approach the solution, the valuable side comments, the real-world tips—things you don’t get when you do an online course.

The projects allowed us to not only apply what we’ve learned but also to challenge ourselves by doing more than what was required. I was amazed at what I accomplished after only several classes into the course. It was definitely very fulfilling to have completed the final project (API)!

At the beginning of the course, I was worried that I might not be able to grasp JS at my age, especially because the lessons were fast-paced. I’m glad that I took the leap and challenged myself. It feels good to learn a new skill!

Now that the course is over, I plan to continue doing JS exercises and small personal projects. If I don’t get a chance to try my hand at JS at work, at least I can read and understand some of the code other developers wrote and learn from them. The many $, {}, (), [] aren’t foreign to me anymore!

• Excellent course!
    - 10/10/2018
    Jonathan Hoy • Graduate

HackerYou’s part-time JavaScript course was an excellent opportunity to be introduced to the language. For people new to coding, such as myself, who might have only dabbled with HTML and CSS, learning JavaScript can be quite daunting as the logic and syntax of the language is quite different from HTML and CSS. The course does a great job of introducing core concepts and then advancing what can be achieved with those concepts.

What really stands out about the course to me is the freedom of the projects. Students have free rein to create almost anything with their projects. After seeing what my classmates created in their projects, it dawned on me how powerful JavaScript can be.

In university some of my professors felt out of touch with the subjects they were teaching but that is not the case at HackerYou. With instructors and mentors actively working in the field they leverage their own experiences to compliment the course material.

Not speaking specifically to this course but to HackerYou as a whole, the atmosphere is very open, welcoming and conducive to learning. Instructors and mentors are very easy-going and will answer any question that you might have. Even if they don’t have the answer immediately, they do remember and will get back to you once they have the answer.

I enrolled in HackerYou’s part-time JavaScript course with the intention of being introduced to JavaScript prior to HackerYou’s full-time Web Development Immersive bootcamp.

If you are considering a career change or are simply interested in or curious about web development in general, I highly recommend HackerYou!

• Mikaela • Front End Developer • Graduate

I recently graduated from HackerYou’s Immersive Bootcamp. It was the best decision of my life. All of the staff, students, and alumni are warm, welcoming and extremely supportive.

I originally took the Part-Time Web Development course thinking I wanted to learn a new skill, but I never thought that I would actually quit my job and take the Bootcamp. Long story short, this course was the most fun I’ve ever had learning (and on a Saturday!).  I immediately knew that a career in web dev and taking the Bootcamp was something I wanted to do.

The best part about going to HackerYou is the amazing group of students and alumni community that you get to be a part of.  Graduates help you during the Bootcamp in the form of Bootcamp Buddies and after class study sessions.  After the Bootcamp you’re still connected to everyone through Slack. I’ve asked graduates for coding help, references, referrals or tips if I was interviewing at with a company they now work at.  And at conferences and events, you will have an instant network of folks to connect with.

All the fun aside, this Bootcamp is more than a full-time commitment, they will push you as hard as humanly possible. You will eat, sleep and breath HackerYou during these 9-weeks. It is the only way to achieve the results they produce. If there’s one thing I wish I did differently, it would be to also take the Part-Time JavaScript course. The students who took this course, or had previous knowledge, were much more comfortable with programming basics from day one.

Getting a job isn’t easy or guaranteed, but I couldn’t imagine trying to do so without the help and tools from everyone at HackerYou!

• Sam Sakhavarz • Student

I’ve been working in client services at various digital agencies over the past 17 years. It’s been a fun ride, but after turning 40 I had a hard time seeing what my future looked like going forward. I realized that I had gained a passion for the digital craft itself, after spending several years collaborating with internal teams and clients on digital experiences. I decided I wanted to spend the next chapter of my career in the craft working as a web developer.

I discovered that Toronto had several places offering coding bootcamps; this seemed like the right fit for someone like me – didn’t want to lose too much time going back to school for another 4 yr degree program.

I met with several schools and decided to pursue HackerYou – why HackerYou? Aside from the data/stats/reviews which all ranked it #1, it felt most like a community that was really conscious about ensuring the school and student was a true fit. Other schools looked impressive, but I felt more like a prospective customer and they really just wanted “my business”.

After consulting with admissions, it was decided that the best path would be to take the part-time web dev course to prep for applying to boot camp. I took the course, loved it, learned a LOT! Unfortunately, I came up short getting into bootcamp – a bit disappointing, but the reality is they get 200+ applications and only accept 30-35 students per season. I was on a short wait list, so I came close! I was encouraged to apply to the next season’s bootcamp, and in the meantime, enrol in the part-time JavaScript course. I enrolled in the JavaScript course and just finished it!

If you are considering a career path in web development, I highly recommend taking this JavaScript course – assuming you’ve previously taken some kind of HTML/CSS course. The learning environment at HackerYou is extremely welcoming and unpretentious. You get to do lots of practical hands-on work at a nice pace, making the content very digestible. Theory and lectures are great, but when it comes to web programming you have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. The instructors really guide you well through each step and give you great tools and tips along the way. It’s a very inclusive class environment and they make sure no one gets ‘stuck’ or left behind. Not only did we have two instructors, there was also a mentor (e.g. teaching assistant) helping to keep everyone up to speed.

Overall, the course has loads JavaScript/JQuery content, giving you the foundation building blocks to get started. Make no mistake, the subject matter is complicated and there are a lot of abstract concepts that will have you scratching your head. But you come away with great material that can be referenced again and again. This stuff takes lots of practice and the HackerYou course content provides a great structure to practice and learn the right way.

I got into the upcoming Fall 2018 bootcamp session and I’m very glad I was able to take the part-time JavaScript course before this – it’s given me the time to digest the core concepts before diving right into the bootcamp. If you’re considering bootcamp, I highly recommend taking this path as well. It takes a bit longer but I think it really helps you prep for success in the long run. Cost-wise, you’ll also get some discounts on the bootcamp if you take the part-time courses, so that’s a nice perk!  I’m super excited and nervous about my next chapter, but I feel like having the HackerYou community in my corner gives me the skills and confidence to succeed.

• Samiah Khan • Student

I have completed the part time Web Development program of Summer 2018, with Jenny Veens being our incredible instructor. After doing some research online and reading about the enormous amount of positive reviews on HY, I applied online for the part time program and within the same day I have received an email from the admissions coordinator to attend a short interview at a time that suits me.

When I first arrived at HY, the first impression I got was this vibrant modern and cozy ambience which I immediately felt connected to. Had a great chat time with Sam, and he was so great in trying help me figure out the right curriculum for me, and gave to the chance to consider different options within a very tight time-frame, while I was making my decision.

The course syllabus has been well planned out, starts with the basics and keeps building on our previous gained knowledge and skill. Plus the notes are put in layman's terms, hence making it easy to grasp what we were being taught in class. Jenny, our incredible instructor, also made us work on coding exercises in class, and later took up the exercise to show us how she would have done the coding, and explains along the way of how she would keep the code clean and effective. Jenny's clear and organized communication and teaching styles was something that kept me alert in class. Overall my experience in learning at HY motivated me (and many other students) enough to come to all the classes and ahead of time.

Initially we are taught the Fundamentals of HTML and CSS, then we move on to the Intermediate HTML, Advanced CSS including SASS, responsive design, and JQuery. By the end of the program we are taught introductory JavaScript. There are a total of three projects we work on individually througout the program. And I believe this better equips us for the technical challenge if we apply for their full time bootcamp.

• Mikey • Student

I’m finishing up the Part-Time (Intro/Adv) Web Development course at HackerYou and would certainly recommend it to anyone who has considered diving into the web dev world!

What I can say is that the sense of community is undeniable at HackerYou. Our instructors and HY employees are industry professionals who create a welcoming environment for students who are willing to learn.

The classes themselves are fast paced, and certainly informative! However, I wouldn’t get overwhelmed. The class notes are extremely detailed which allow you to go back and review at anytime. The instructors/ mentors are so knowledgeable and supportive. They’ve done a fabulous job at teaching people with little to no coding experience. They’re also super accessible before/after class with any question or concerns. Seriously, I couldn’t give them enough credit if I tried!

The 3 course projects throughout the Part-time classes give you a platform to demonstrate your current skill set. Each project adds a new component that you have learned in class. This is a type of program that you will get what you put into it. In other words, be self motivated!

I plan to continue my learning and apply to the full time bootcamp. I’ve enjoyed web developing to a point where I’m fully committed to making a career change in my life. This is a leading industry in terms of culture and I’m exciting to be apart of it!

• Robyn

I took the part-time web development fundamentals and advanced web development course and had an amazing experience. I've wanted to start learning to code for a long time but didn't know where to start with online resources. The instructors at Hackeryou break down the curriculum and code along with you. It's the best classroom environment I've experienced - very open and encouraging. New concepts can sometimes be hard to digest but the great thing is they provide helpful notes that you'll always have access to and theres lots of in-class coding exercises for extra practise. I will hopefully be taking more classes! :)

• Shielarose Gandhi • Student

I'm just finishing up Part-Time Web Development and I have never been more excited about coding than I am now.

I was looking for a career change and I had no experience with coding prior HackerYou, but was interested in the Full-Time Bootcamp. After speaking with the Admissions Coordinator, he advised that I take the part-time course to have a good foundation before applying to the bootcamp. I decided on the Saturday classes since I was working full-time at the time. There are no classes during long weekends, so sometimes it's hard to recall what we previously learned, but working on our projects on our own between classes helped keep what we learned top-of-mind.

In terms of the material, I learned more in the first 5 classes that I thought I would learn the entire course. Some classes can be fast-paced and have a lot of information, but it's not a lecture-type lesson. You are constantly coding along with the instructor and there is always a mentor available to help. The code-alongs helped a lot when I wanted to look back on how to do certain things for my projects.

I started off with no experience at all and now I'm in the process of building my own website for my last project! It's crazy how much you can learn in such a small amount of time. The instructors/mentors are always available and willing to help. They also give constructive feedback to each student after each project so that they're able to better themselves for the next project. In addition to the course, the community is fantastic - everyone I've met at HackerYou is extremely friendly and welcoming.

Overall, I've very impressed with HackerYou and would recommend the part-time course to anyone who is curious about or wants to get into web development. I believe that I now have a strong foundation for front-end development and am excited to apply to the full-time bootcamp!

• Alissa • Graduate

**As a first note, I would highly recommend taking the advanced UX course after the fundamentals. The content becomes much more focused and dives deeper into real design problems that you could expect to see in any design career. **

I wanted to level up my UX skills, and after some research HackerYou stood out as the best option on the market. After completing both courses, I can confirm that the program lives up to it's reputation.

What you will take out of the course really depends on the level that you come in at, and what you want out of it. As a designer looking to specialize in UX, I really appreciated the opportunities to apply the concepts from the course in my everyday work, and I felt that I was able to rocket my career ahead a couple of steps with the deeper perspectives and new frameworks that I was exposed to.

I highly recommend this course for anyone new to UX specifically or looking to expand on their design skills in a human centered design direction.

• Luca Mo • Student

I was fairly familiar with HTML from about 8 years ago before this course. I decided to sign up for their Accelerated Intro to Web Development Fundamentals/Advanced because I figured a course would really help brush me up and I am also very interested in participating in the Hackeryou Full-time Immersive course (bootcamp).

Structure: The course is sectioned into Fundamentals and Advanced Fundamentals. Each is four days, 10am-6pm with support and mentoring on Fridays and over the weekends. Class is short lectures that feature code-alongs mixed with short bouts of independent or team-work. It is hard to ever feel left behind as their was a very good balance of 3 instructors to about 22 students. There was always time to ask questions before or after class or in Slack or you could simply look over your digital notes which you have permanent access too. Great mentorship I met so many nice alumni!

Curriculum: the Basics of HTML/CSS all the way to Responsive Design and a short but sweet appetizer of Javascript. I had a bit of a leg up having spent the months prior self-teaching HTML and CSS but this course really can get a beginner to the level that they can publish/manage their own site.

Overall: I had a great time and learned a lot. It was a great introduction to the community of HackerYou and a nice way to see if you are the type of person that can handle an immersive course. It was only two weeks of 10-6 but you are learning something nearly every hour of each day and putting it into practise. I definitely feel more confident in my Web Development skills and feel like I accomplished something great.

• Brian S. • Independent editor & writer • Student

I was familiar with web1.0–era HTML and wanted to introduce myself to the fundamentals of HTML and CSS so that I can make simple websites (landing sites; blogs; marketing sites). This course offered a novel structure that appealed to me: an intensive, full-time, two-week dive into front-end web development. Although it times it felt like drinking from a fire hose, the course was well structured. The teachers are uniformly engaging and the learning style—short "lectures" interspersed with longer code-alongs and independent work—suits the material well. It's a surprisingly fun environment for eight-hour days spent at your computer. HackerYou gives its students plenty of support, with before- and after-hours mentoring sessions; permanent access to the robust course notes; and, through Slack, access to the broader community of teachers and alumni.

One note of caution: this is a very time-intensive one-week course (or two-week course, if you pair it with the Advanced section). If you have the support of family members or your time is otherwise unencumbered, this is a remarkably quick and thorough way to get yourself up to speed on the best practices in web-development. If you do not have this, you might consider the part-time web-development course instead.

I have a small child at home, as well as freelance work in another field. Therefore I found it difficult to review the material nightly, which, given how much you learn each day, is very important. I am just completing the course now, and trust that time and practice—as well as occasionally asking for support from the HY community—will ensure that everything I learned truly sinks in.

• Rosalie Elphick • Graduate

I am currently finishing up HackerYou's part time JavaScript course after completing their part time Web Development course beforehand. Having come to web development (and any kind of coding) as a complete novice, HackerYou provided an open and supportive learning community with great instructors, real world problems and solutions, and excellent learning opportunities. This proved true with the JavaScript course as well. Our instructor broke down intimidating topics and concepts into simple, real world fundamentals and at no point during the course did I feel intimidated to ask questions about anything. Our instructor and mentors in the course are all professionals in the industry, which gave our class a lot of insight into how the topics we were learning in class applied in a real world environment. I really like the hands on approach HackerYou applies in its classrooms and I am walking away from this course confident and very ready to learn more.