hackeryou-logo

HackerYou

HackerYou

HackerYou offers a 9-week, full-time web development immersive, and an 8-week, part-time web development course in Toronto, Canada. HackerYou’s full-time Web Development Immersive bootcamp covers HTML5 & CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, API and WordPress as well as non-technical skills like personal branding, finding and managing clients, and growing a business. HackerYou's part-time courses are Web Development Fundamentals & Advanced Web Development, JavaScript Fundamentals & Advanced JavaScript, UX Fundamentals & Advanced UX, and a Full-Stack Masterclass. Part-time classes run in the evenings, twice a week for 8 weeks or on weekends, once a week for 8 weeks. The programs focus on hands-on, project-based learning from industry-leading professionals with small classes and a 10:1 ratio of students to instructors. By the end of the web development programs, students have a great website and portfolio, and the knowledge, tools, and skills needed to succeed as developers.

HackerYou is ideal for people looking to climb the corporate ladder, upgrade their skills, or start a new career. Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online form describing their background and experience, and participate in a video or in-person interview. For the full-time immersive course, students should have a high school diploma or equivalent, and demonstrate knowledge of HTML and CSS.

For job seekers, HackerYou helps students craft a technical resume, nail an interview, and negotiate their salary via career coaching. The curriculum covers personal branding and how to position yourself to employers. At the end of the course, HackerYou hosts Industry Day where students can network with hiring partners and showcase their portfolios.

Recent HackerYou Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (204) reviews for HackerYou →

Recent HackerYou News

Read all (5) articles about HackerYou →
  • Advanced JavaScript (Part-time)

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Toronto
    The course will builds upon the JavaScript and jQuery fundamentals learned in the introductory course. In the course, we will cover advanced topics such as building modular and reusable code, working with HTML5 audio and video, integrating Google Maps, and most importantly working with AJAX and JSON APIS to pull in data from other websites and services. As always, everything is taught through a series of hands-on exercises, code-alongs and projects. Graduates of JavaScript Fundamentals are eligible to take Advanced JavaScript for only $500.
    Strong understanding of the basics of JavaScript & jQuery required to take this class.
    Interview
  • Advanced UX Design (Part-time)

Design, User Experience Design
    Toronto
    In this course, students will explore advanced topics such as emotional design, empathy mapping, systematic design, human-centred design and user testing. Students will improve and apply their skills to effectively define problems, scope target audiences, iterate, conduct “discovery phases,” conduct design research, prototype, critique, handle errors, and future map, among others. Lessons will be discovered by participants through hands-on, project based exercises. For their capstone project, students will use design thinking to solve a problem of their choosing, giving each student the opportunity to build a portfolio piece relevant to their interests. Have an idea for an app? Use this project to finally give it the attention it deserves by taking the idea through every step of the UX Design process. You’ll create a unique portfolio piece that showcases your UX skills - and maybe even a product ready for development! Graduates of UX Design Fundamentals are eligible to take Advanced UX Design for only $500.
    Previous experience in UX Design, or our Introduction to UX course (or equivalent) required. Ideal for designers and developers looking to move into UX roles.
    Interview
  • Advanced Web Development (Part-time)

HTML, jQuery, CSS
    Toronto
    This course will give students the skills needed to design and create a responsive website for laptops, phones, tablets, and beyond using the latest HTML5 and CSS3 techniques. It will also dive deeper into CSS, Flexbox, transitions, animations, SASS, JavaScript and jQuery and teach participants the very latest and greatest techniques for creating even richer web experiences. Graduates of Web Development Fundamentals are eligible to take Advanced Web Development for only $500.
    Students must have basic HTML and CSS knowledge, or have completed Introduction to Web Development (or equivalent) to take this course.
    Interview
  • Full Stack Masterclass (Part-time)

MongoDB, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Express.js, React.js, Node.js
    Toronto
    This unique course is designed to help bootcamp graduates prepare for the next stage in their career. You did it - through hard work and dedication, you became a professional developer sans computer science degree. But you know that there are things people learn in Computer Science programs that would be useful to you. If you could combine your practical web development skills with some of these foundational Computer Science concepts, all while applying what you’re learning to develop full-stack development skills, you’d be almost unstoppable. Enter HackerYou’s Full-Stack Masterclass. Using a format that’s entirely new to HackerYou based on what we know bootcamp graduates want and need, this 57-hour, nine-week part-time course is designed to fill in your gaps, push you to level up and ultimately narrow the gap between you and the Full-Stack Developer you admire most.
    Code 2175). Freelance web developers are welcome to apply. This course is ideal for Bootcamp graduates (whether you attended HackerYou’s bootcamp or another one) and self-taught developers.
    Interview
  • JavaScript Fundamentals (Part-time)

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Toronto
    Learning JavaScript and jQuery will take your websites to the next level by making them dynamic and interactive. This course will give any HTML & CSS developer the skills they need to unlock the full potential of front-end web development. This course will start with an introduction to JavaScript and the fundamentals of the programming language. We will then work our way through understanding and using jQuery, a JavaScript library, to select, interact and manipulate elements on our page.
    Strong grasp of HTML & CSS
    Interview
  • UX Design Fundamentals (Part-time)

Design, User Experience Design
    Toronto
    Forget about other UX courses you’ve heard about - this course goes far beyond just wire-framing. In this course, you’ll dive into topics such as cognitive design patterns in UI & UX, micro-interactions principles, personals and mental models, interaction design foundations, the art & science of interviewing users, and finally, visual language principles, and more. As always, lessons will be discovered by participants through a series of hands-on, project-based exercises, and through a final project where students will have the chance to use design thinking to solve a specific, real-world problem of their choosing. This will help bring all the concepts together with an original, portfolio-worthy display of their UX skills.
    This course is perfect for people working as designers or developers, as well as graduates of our part-time design or web development courses.
    Interview
  • Web Development Fundamentals (Part-time)

HTML, CSS
    Toronto
    Join us for HackerYou's most popular part-time course. You'll learn HTML5 and CSS3, build websites and collaborate with a group of people just like you – people who know that learning to code is going to help them take their careers to the next level. With an intense focus on hands-on, project-based learning, this course will give you the opportunity to learn directly from some of Toronto’s most talented developers and and discover how to create beautiful, functional websites from scratch.
    This course is designed for beginners.
    Interview
  • Web Development Immersive (Bootcamp)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Front End
    Toronto
    At HackerYou’s nine-week bootcamp, you’ll learn HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, APIs, React and Firebase.– all the skills you need to become a junior web developer. The program is nine weeks long, during which you’ll join us at HackerYou HQ five days a week from 10 am to 6 pm daily. We’ve assembled an all-star team of talented professional developers and they can’t wait to teach you everything they know. With 315 hours of class time and hundreds of exercises, plus a major project assignment every step of the way designed to help you to develop the skills you’ll need to succeed as a junior web developer, you’ll leave HackerYou’s bootcamp not only with a certificate, but also ready to jump into a brand new role. Get ready for the learning experience of a lifetime.
    Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, or for Mature Students, you must have achieved a score of 18 on the Wonderlic Mature Test.

• Julia • Student

Anyone looking to begin their journey into web development should seriously consider HackerYou. I did the Web Development Fundamentals and Advanced Web Development courses in 2017 and my experience with HackerYou were remarkable from the get-go. Not only were the instructors and mentors super helpful, but I got to be apart of a great community! I hope to start the bootcamp in April.

I would recommend HackerYou to everyone.

• Melody Yun  User Photo
    Melody Yun • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the part-time JavaScript course at HackerYou and now I'll be going into the full-time Bootcamp. I highly recommend HackerYou. They have an incredible support system and a team of dedicated teachers/mentors who are always willing to help.

Tiff was my instructor and she as amazing. The pacing of the class was good and HackerYou takes into account feedback from the students. Tiff tailored the lessons to our class and I appreciate that we are always taught the latest in web development.

Prior to entering HackerYou, I was attending a college for computer programming. I have to say that HackerYou was a major upgrade. The instructors here have current experience in the field and they are always pushing themselves to learn what is trending in the industry so they can pass that information on to their students. They are knowledgeable and invested in the success of their students.

• Barnabas  User Photo
    Barnabas • UI Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Although the bootcamp was challenging in various ways, it was made easier by my lovely cohort members, the knowledgable and supportive instructors, and the alumni of HackerYou who are more than willing to give up their time to give back and help. As a developer you are expected to never stop learning, but HackerYou's bootcamp provides a strong foundation which you can build upon and will provide you industry relevant skills which you will use directly on the job as a developer. If you have concerns about time management, I along with many other members of my cohort commuted everyday to and from HackerYou everyday, and I personally was still able to make time to go to the gym twice a week, which was something very important for me to maintain.

All in all I can't say enough good things about HackerYou and it's community. If you're hesitant about jumping right into the bootcamp and have the time, look into the part-time class which provides you with the fundamentals of HTML and CSS which definetly made the first two weeks of bootcamp way easier and gave me the opportunity to get a sense about HackerYou and what it was all about.

• In love
    - 1/24/2018
    Robyn  User Photo
    Robyn • budding web-developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm just finishing up the part-time advanced web-dev course, after having finished the corresponding intro course. I took these courses because I felt I needed to learn a bit more in preparation for applying to the bootcamp. And wow, am I glad I did! Not only did I get accepted into the bootcamp, but haven taken the intro course is definitely helping me get the most out of it. In fact, I can’t imaging going through the bootcamp without having taken the part-time course first. Taking it cemented the idea that this is the place for me. This school has such an amazing community, and is the most inclusive to differences that I have experienced. I have never learned so much so fast in my life; they have their teaching-methods down to an art. It comes down to this: I feel challenged, supported, and welcomed here. I also feel that with the help of HackerYou, I will get where I want to be.

• Laurie O'Connor  User Photo
    Laurie O'Connor • Front End Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the PT Web Development Fundamentals followed by the PT Advanced Web Development courses in the Fall of 2016 and then attended and succesfully completed the FT Web Development Immersive Bootcamp in Spring 2017.  Although there are people who are able to apply to the Bootcamp and be accepted without going through the PT program, I highly recommend it.  Going through PT first allowed me to complete 3 projects and get an good understanding of the expectations for attending HY full time.  It was working through the PT projects that sucessfully prepared me for the tech challange and gave me the confidence I needed to apply for bootcamp.  I was also able to see what I could expect from the class environment at HY.

Anne Thomas was the course instructor (who was great) and there was always a minimum of 2 mentors available as well to answer questions.  The majority of our time in class was hands on.  We were constantly coding along during lectures, and then had time after lectures to continue to work on the skills we had just learned.  There was never time to sit and wonder about what was next as we were constantly involved in the learning process, not just being told about the things we would eventually know how to do.  The environment was fun, allowed for questions on the spot to clarify any doubts, and although days could be long, they always felt as though the time went fast.

Bootcamp was intense.  I was a married mother of a 5 year old when I left for the 9 week bootcamp.  I saw my family on Sundays for a couple of hours when they would come into Toronto to see me for the day.  This is no light commitment.   If you are thinking that this will be a college type of experience, you are very mistaken. When I wasn't at HY learning, then I was at HY working on a project, or up early/late working on projects.  Bootcamp is expensive, and not something that you will hopefully ever need to do again.  But you need to commit, and follow Heather's instructions.  She will lay it on the line for you.  HY wouldn't still be around if she didn't know what she was talking about.

I've been working as a Front End Dev for 5 months now and I can honestly say that attending HY is what made that possible.  I left bootcamp with the coding skills I needed, but also with a great understanding of the interview process and what kind of jobs to apply for. Having the ability to review jobs offers with Heather was amazing.  I felt confident in asking for what I felt my skills were worth, and it was great knowing that Heather would be able to steer me clear of offers that were not what they should be.

• Angelo  User Photo
    Angelo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Fall 2017 Part-Time JavaScript course. I really enjoyed my time at HackerYou and I took my skills to the next level. I had basic HTML/CSS skills coming into the course (that weren't really part of the curriculum, but you get more practice as you play around with the projects), but the course was comprehensive in everything about JavaScript - including classes in the advanced portion of the course in React. What I would recommend in the future is more practice with React, APIs and other advanced topics. Also, I would have loved to learn more about other industry topics - like using GitHub, Node and employment.

The best part about HackerYou, however, is how they treat you. Christopher, one of the staff in charge of students, was incredibly nice and responsive to your needs. He brought surprises like food on certain days, for little things like the WiFi not working. The instructors and mentors (Anne, Trudy and Garrett) were extremely helpful and worth the whole experience. I wouldn't have learned as much as I did without their support.

In my opinion, this was a great experience to learn more about coding and to learn from industry professionals, in a wonderful caring environment.

• Sick Place
    - 12/16/2017
    Bora ALAP  User Photo
    Bora ALAP • UI Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I would suggest this place for sure. in a short time, you can learn a lot. And having 3 teachers in the class helps alot.

• Chantale  User Photo
    Chantale • Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended HackerYou's Web Development Immersive Program in the Summer of 2017. I was hired 2 weeks after graduating. Prior to attending HackerYou, I thought they made a lot of claims but they really do deliver.  This program had a huge impact on my life. Not only can I call myself a web developer, but I have learned how to market myself and the "art" of getting a job.

• Laura D.  User Photo
    Laura D. • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended HackerYou’s full time immersive Front End Web Development bootcamp in April of 2017 and graduated in June 2017. This is a 10 week, Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm course, and teaches you HTML for about a week, CSS for about a week (including SASS, responsive design, flex box which I believe has been swapped out for CSS Grid), then JavaScript, jQuery, and ReactJS for the remaining ~7 weeks. The final week is spent preparing a portfolio site for your demo night and Speed-interview day (industry day).    Anyone considering a coding bootcamp should be aware that this is a full time commitment. You are expected to produce a project per week in a language you learned mere days ago. You will not have time to work evenings/weekends, and you probably won’t see your friends for 3 months. That being said, you will meet a wonderful group of fellow students, and will have the full support of staff and mentors (previous grads from the program who are paired up with a student to offer guidance). This was one of the most uplifting community of people I have ever been surrounded by. Heather Payne (CEO, founder) hand picks applicants to make sure that they’re going to be a good fit. During her initial interview, she gets a feel for your hobbies, personality, work ethic, and drive. This means that the people who attend HackerYou are all driven, fantastic humans from all ages, skill levels, and career backgrounds.    The instructors are, by far, my favourite part of this course. Each instructor is hilarious, thorough, and incredibly patient. They make the material interesting, and will go over it as many times as you need to understand. There is also in-class project work time a few times a week where the instructors and mentors walk around and help with your projects. You also get exposure to many industry practices (I had never used Slack for messaging before, but got the hang of it at HY. We also practiced Stand Up’s, which is a concept my office uses every day).   Overall, this is the perfect course to kickstart a new career. It gives you an in-depth understanding of many programming languages, but more importantly it teaches you how to learn quickly, fail quickly, and try again. Once the course is over, the cohort still meets once a week for job-hunting tips, and everyone is still expected to hand in projects until they find a job. Heather has a foolproof system for job hunting and will not quit until you’re settled in a good position for a salary you deserve. The community is definitely what sets HackerYou apart from other bootcamps in the area.    Personally, when I finished the bootcamp, I had 4 job interviews and was hired as a Junior Dev within a month. My salary is double what it was at my previous job, and I’m still learning new things everyday and am on a great team.
  • ellen  User Photo
    ellen • software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the bootcamp in early 2017. I had a great experience and ended up getting a job as a developer afterwards.

I first took HackerYou's part time intro to web development and really liked the course and learning environment so I signed up for their bootcamp not long after.

The curriculum is solid and gave me the fundamental knowledge I needed to start a career as a developer. All the instructors were very supportive, enthusiastic and they clearly enjoyed sharing all their experience and knowledge with students. We finished 7 projects during the  course and did lots of code-alongs during class which I found very useful. By the end of the bootcamp we had a portfolio site ready with all our projects.

I really enjoyed the course and learning environment, would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to learn to code.

• Landon  User Photo
    Landon • Front end developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Learning coding at hackeryou is one of the best decisions i made in my life. It is definitely worth every penny. I was a Wordpress developer for few years but my html/css was very limited. After did all the research, i decided to take intro and advanced Web Development at Hackeryou. Tiffany was the lead instructor of the program. I must say Tiff is one of the best teachers in my life. I never met anyone who is so passionate and caring about students like Tiff. She and Tom are not only  a knowledgable teacher but also lovely human beings. I never missed one class because they made us feel the class like home. She and Tom(her finance') helped us to gain  n-depth knowledges about web development. From zero knowledge about web development, now im capable of coding efficiently. My plan is taking javascript class with Tiff again in January. Im very excited about this. This actually changed my life. Open next page for me in career, i definitely recommend !

• Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Front End Developer • Student Verified via Linkedin

I took this course in conjunction with Intro to JavaScript & jQuery, which allows you to fully understand, in baby steps, the fundamentals of JS and jQuery. The advanced course moves quickly, which is good because it kept me on my toes. I never wanted to miss a class because so much is covered in three hours. The class was lead by Drew Minns who is a great teacher and mentor. He has a laid-back but professional attitude and has a great sense of humour, which is great because JS can at times seem so dry and static. He also brought his dog Prudence in to class which is always the best in learning environments.

The class size is great - I never felt too shy to ask a question, and that's coming from an INFJ personality. The mentors were great, too (Trudy Jordan and Garrett) and were always available for quick questions in-class, after-class, and over Slack. I enjoyed when they took over a class because they showed us a different way of thinking about problems than our instructor might have.

I took this course for work, and I would recommend this class to anyone looking to advance their learning in JavaScript! 10/10!

• Kait • Digital Designer & Developer • Graduate

I took the part-time Full-Stack Masterclass, which was a wonderful experience. The environment, instructors, and curriculum were all modern and of the highest quality. It was very hands-on which helps you implement your learning right away on-the-job. While the practical application of these concepts was the emphasis, we did spend some time on programming theory fundamentals. I wish we'd had more time to do a deeper dive there but the nature of a part-time course is there usually isn't enough time for that.

I'd highly recommend the course to those interested in leveling up their skills.

• Miona N • Student

I took the part-time Web Dev course (fundamentals & advanced).  The days were crammed full of information and we followed along with our online comprehensive class/lecture notes. They're online, but you lifetime access which is great. I took full day Saturdays option, but I realize I would've preferred to space out my lessons and exposure to new material to smaller, twice a week chunks (couldn't due to work). That said, the advantage of being there for several hours at a time gives you a different type of continuity and ability to synthesize new info during practice times. You also get to hang out more with your classmates during brakes and lunches. A full day class was more representative of how the immersive bootcamp would feel like, except it was totally chill. I did find breaks on the short side though, whether it was 5mins for coffee or the half hour lunch, but we were allowed to have drinks and food at our desks so that worked in order to cover enough material during the day. There were a couple of TAs to help out whenever someone is stuck during lectures or during exercises. Jenny was great and she conveyed the material in a really approachable way. You don't get much theory behind the concepts, but you get a really good working knowledge; and you're always encouraged to seek out more on your own and work on problem-solving skills, esp. through online resources. If you need additional help you also get optional extended hours to meet outside of classroom time. It covers HTML and CSS well, but for JS you'll have to take a separate course or continue on your own (you learn just enough to get you going and to start understanding the structure). I found the classroom layout a bit challenging, as the room was deep, so I always felt tired from trying to see properly on the projector screen; they'll zoom in as needed (or requested), but I kept coming in late for the 9am start so I was always sitting a bit back... my work doesn't ever even start before 10:30am, so it may sound ridiculous but 9am start time was rough for me. I once attended a workshop where the room was wide rather than deep, and they had two projector screens - that setup was really effective, and I hope HackerYou has similar rooms for bootcamp - I'm still considering that option :)

• Kat Bosnic • Junior Developer • Graduate

Before coming to HackerYou I worked as an agricultural technician. Although I didn't mind spending most of my days puttering around on a tractor, I felt like my job had no prospect of becoming a career. I jumped off my tractor, came to the city, took the part-time web development course and fell in love with coding as well as the community that HackerYou provided. Very quickly I knew I had to do the bootcamp! Although it was challenging, it was also extremely rewarding, and with the help of very supportive instructors and peers, I became a dev! For the first time in my life I have a career that excites me and I never catch myself counting down the hours until my day is done. Thanks HackerYou!

• Andrea Maille • Graduate

I couldn’t have asked for a better experience at HackerYou. I took both the part-time web development course and then Web Development Immersive (bootcamp). All the instructors were friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about teaching code. The curriculum was fast-paced, focused on modern development and most importantly, gave me the necessary skills to enter the tech industry. Beyond the course, the greater HY community is so unbelievably supportive, encouraging and willing to help with any questions.

Like many others, I came to HackerYou because I needed a life change. When I discovered coding, I knew instinctively and immediately that this was the career for me. But it was only when I first stepped into HackerYou that I knew I was on the right path to making my dream career into a reality. HackerYou not only teaches you how to code but also how to challenge yourself and continually grow. They are pros at giving you the tools and structure you need to really excel and become an active member of the tech community.

• A 10/10 Experience
    - 8/13/2019
    Can Rozanes • Student

Before I came across HackerYou, I had been contemplating about a career change to software development for over a year and had taken numerous online courses. However, the pace at which I was learning was not satisfying and the fact that I was randomly picking and choosing courses without a set curriculum didn't help at all.

Then I came across HackerYou. An immersive learning experience of 9 weeks that would teach me all the skills I needed to find employment as a developer sounded great.

All throughout the bootcamp, we learned lots of languages/tools/frameworks that are industry standards and built a project each time we learned something new. These projects later on became parts of our portfolios to help us with our job search.

Overall, the instructors were great, the support staff was extremely accommodating and receptive to any kind of feedback (special shout out to Charlotte) and the job support we received to find employment after the bootcamp was outstanding (special shout out to Chi Chi)

I can't recommend HackerYou enough to anyone who is looking for a career change in a short amount of time and wants to be a part of a thriving Toronto tech community for life.

• Franz Ombico • Jr FEE • Graduate

TLDR: I came in knowing how to do some FE based React, but I got the most out of learning how to use Express and MongoDB.

Walked away having learned: - Express - integrating MongoDB - creating db schemas - do CRUD from Front-end - deploying on Heroku

Simon and the TA team were super helpful in all aspects, from debugging installation scripts, to being a second pair of eyes to for your code.

I recommend having a project in mind before signing up, and also knowing some React. You will learn more there, but if you are a front-end dev, you will want to spend your time absorbing the backend lessons.

• Rebecca Westcott • Graduate
    As a recent grad of a web design and development course I quickly realized I needed more skill sets in the industry. With a strong focus on HTML/CSS where I was really lacking was JavaScript.   The accelerated Java Script course was well organized with emails provided a week in advanced for requirements needed for the course. The course is detailed, modern and up to date with industry standards.   The lessons, exercises and code alongs, were detailed, and continued access to course content to look back on is accessible and well written for step by step solutions.   The teachers were great and so were the mentors - any issues and help was provided right away.
  • Matt Donaldson • Front End Developer • Student

I took the accelerated Javascript course before moving onto the fulltime bootcamp. I love everything about HackerYou. They are inclusive, welcoming, and super knowledgable. They emphasize industry best practices and accessibility and make sure their content is always up to date with current practices.    I am so happy to be a part of this community and would encourage anyone on the fence to take the leap and join a class here. It's worth every penny.

• Irene Truong • Front End Developer • Graduate

HackerYou is unique in the fact that it was founded by a woman who aims to empower others. Upon stepping into HackerYou's space for the first time, I felt welcome due to feeling represented by the staff and students there.

I have been taught by Tom, Katie, Mark, and Shang of the ConEd team and I can vouch to say these are all passionate individuals who are able to articulate and teach code to non-coders. Project work for Web Development Fundamentals/Advanced Web Development mimicked real life projects of PSD to HTML/CSS conversions, so it was practical.

After Accelerated web development classes, I was admitted into bootcamp and had a wonderful experience. The content was well-paced. Project work was assigned as soon as we learned the concept, forcing us to apply our learnings. We also had fobs to the building, allowing us to code past midnight if needed (which some students opted some nights). Bootcamp buddies were also assigned to students so we had some emotional support if needed.

I made some lifelong friends out of HackerYou's bootcamp, and some supportive alumni-turned-mentors who I hope to keep in touch with for as long as either of us shall live.

• Emma Fattori • Graduate

I took the intro and advanced Web Development course at HackerYou, and it was a stark contrast to the other educational experiences I had received in other college and university settings. HackerYou has a student first approach to everything, and I felt the value for money was extremely worth it. There are lots of mentors available outside of class for questions, and the teachers take time to address questions of all students.

The projects were interesting and exciting, and the manner in which feedback was given was very productive.

The mentors and teachers provide real world examples for using specific code, which was very useful to me. Because of this part time course, I decided to switch industries and applied to the HackerYou bootcamp. I recommend this school to anyone interested in web development of any kind.

• Sean de Groot • Student

I took the part-time web development course and it exceeded my expectations. It is amazing to think that you will be able to create fully responsive, professional and accessible websites after twelve, six hour sessions. The mentors are available 24/7 and you can tell they are passionate about web development. Also, the GitHub repository which includes our lessons is always updating and has unlimited resources and exercises.

• Alyne Alvarenga • Student

When I enrolled in the part-time course, I had a little bit of experience with HTML and CSS, and I was looking for a challenging environment where I could solidify the knowledge I had, and learn + build new things. This course definitely did that, and so much more! The instructor was phenomenal, the mentors were helpful and kind, and the space was really great. I finished the course with much more knowledge and confidence than I expected - definitely recommend! I was so happy with the course, that I enrolled in their Javascript PT course as well.

• Life changing!
    - 5/11/2019
    Chitra • Student

This review is for the Accelerated Web Dev Fundamental and Advanced Classes (NOT the part-time one) which are part of the continuing education courses at HackerYou. I was browsing the web for job openings and networking events after losing my job, which is when I came across a free workshop on intro to HTML/CSS. This was not in line with my career but the Tech industry was a curiostiy that I had failed to explore and if there was ever a perfect time to try, this was it. I showed up to the workshop without having registered but was welcomed as if they were waiting just for me. In those three hours, I learned what HTML & CSS was and the class got to code along to create our own first website, WITHOUT ANY prior knowledge! During the workshop, I also got to meet the graduating class from the full time immersive bootcamp course which makes your employer ready as a Web Developer. These three students explained that they understood exactly what I was going through and advised me of a potential road to becoming a Web Developer. I quickly enrolled HackerYou's upcoming Accelerated Web Dev Fundamental and Advanced Classes which would allow me to complete it within 2 weeks. Most important advice they gave was that I would know whether this was the right path for me after having taken the Advanved Web Dev. I figured that I could afford to give two weeks to see if this a good fit. My course was taught by Katie, Mark, and Shang; the most amazing and supportive people you will ever meet! They were able to explain complex topics in a highly relatable manner which helps when you have a class full of people coming from a variety of backgrounds. What made the coursework easier to understand was the number of practice problems we did in class, on our own and then together as a class; this is the best way to cement teh knowledge and HackerYou is fantastic at this sort of learn and apply method. Furthermore, the instructors made sure to answer EACH and EVERY question. By the end of the two weeks, students walk away with three projects under their belt.

To be honest though, I was still struggling and was beset with impostor syndrome. However, upon admitting this to Katie and learning about how she had to also overcome this, she encouraged me to take a leap of faith. I followed her advice and I am happy to say that I was accepted into the full time Immersive Bootcamp. I am now weeks away from being able to call myself a Web Developer. What I want someone to takeaway from this review is that if you want to take a leap of faith, try leaping into HackerYou. I can't compare it to other bootcamps but I can assure you that you will not only get the education you need, you will also meet people who have been in your shoes and understand what anxieties you are facing. They won't just give you a pep talk, they'll give you the solid foundation of knowledge to build your confidence on.

• Shatabdi Bhattacharjee • Software Developer

Let me just start by saying that 483, Queen Street West (HackerYou) changed my life!  The curriculum is constantly updated to fit the job market and, the learning environment is incredibly supportive. Heather’s constant help and encouragement during job-hunting is icing on the cake. I am forever grateful to the entire HackerYou team for helping me materialize my dream into reality!