hackbright-academy-logo

Read all (59) articles about Hackbright Academy →
  • Full-Time (12-week) Software Engineering Program

Oakland, San Jose, San Francisco
    $250 Non-Refundable
    Deferred tuition and lending partners available, including Skills Fund to provide you multiple payment options.Students who’ve completed our part-time course are eligible for a $1,500 discount
    Hackbright Academy offers a deferred tuition program to select, eligible students. If eligible, that means no tuition payments until you are hired. Click here: http://hba.io/2ADhSeP
    We have four scholarships available from our partners who are committed to changing the gender ratio in tech. Learn more: http://hba.io/2zahyUp
    40 hours of coding practice
    5-10 hours remote work per week for the 3 weeks leading up to the start of progrtam
  • Hackbright Prep Course

San Jose, San Francisco
    $99 non-refundable deposit due upon enrolling
    We are partnered with lending partner Affirm to provide alternative payment options. You can enroll in the payment program here or email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions.
    WWC and Hackbright Academy are offering a full scholarship to Hackbright Prep. Learn More: http://hba.io/2zdo8JV Hackbright Academy offers partial scholarships to a limited number of students each quarter. Learn more: http://hba.io/2zd8NJj
    Beginner - 10 hours of coding experience.
  • Part-Time (24-week) Software Engineering Program

HTML, Git, Python, JavaScript, Django, SQL, CSS, Data Structures, Algorithms
    San Francisco
    250 Non- Refundable
    We understand that your education can be a big investment and that’s why we’ve partnered with leading lending partners to provide you affordable payment alternatives. Check out the options below and please feel free to email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions! Click here to learn more.
    Refund / Guarantee
    40 hours of coding practice
    5-10 hours remote work per week for the 3 weeks leading up to the start of course

Anonymous • Software Engineer Intern • Graduate
Graduate/Alum
1/25/2018
Response From: Alice Hill of Hackbright Academy
Title: CEO, Hackbright Academy
Saturday, Jan 27 2018

I was very sorry to see your review here mostly because it didn't really give me or our team a chance to respond to you personally. One thing I hope you have seen since your time at Hackbright is that every person in our organization cares passionately about our students, their successful transformation into software engineers, and changing the ratio for women in tech. This is not a 9-5 job or something we do halfheartedly.

We are also so proud of our talented alums, and that unique bond they develop from their time here. I thought you really said it best "I learned a huge amount of valuable information at Hackbright over a short period of time, and I met so many wonderful women who also attended Hackbright who will be friends for life."

As the new CEO, one of the things I have been working on is the complete experience - from admissions, the actual 12 week program, and then the task of finding a job. I am focused right now on jobs, jobs, jobs - meeting with bay area employers to secure internships, getting more jobs on our portal before they hit the job boards, hosting a career fair last night (1/25/2018) with over 19 employers including Google and Apple, and making our career services model evolve into everything from mentorship and coaching, to actively helping make introductions to local employers.

One thing we cannot control is the job market for a particular role. As the former head of the tech job board Dice.com I know always saw huge shifts in seasonality, job role demand that picks up and drops off, but our biggest advantage is our own Hackbright network of alumnae who have created entry points into many companies, as well as the demand for female engineering talent. I know we can help find ways to get you in front of hiring managers.

I would like you to go to our alumnae slack channel and look for the #ask_alice channel. My personal email is listed there. Please email me your contact info and I will set up time for us to talk and strategize how we can help you get into a role we know you are ready for. And while job hunting is frustrating and scary, please don't let it tarnish the work our company does without giving us a way to be part of that conversation with you.
--Alice Hill

Response From: Wendy Saccuzzo of Hackbright Academy
Title: Director of Career Services
Thursday, Jan 26 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your session at Hackbright Academy. Congratulations on graduating from the program and while we’re pleased to hear that you had many positive experiences, we want to learn more about your disappointing interactions with our Career Services team. We’d like to talk with you directly to make sure that you’re receiving all the support and opportunities that Hackbright has to offer both current students and graduates. Please reach out to me directly at wendy@hackbrightacademy.com so that we may chat directly. We take all student feedback seriously and are continuously working to improve every aspect of our program.

Anonymous • Software Engineer
Dissapointed
11/23/2016
Response From: Meggie Mahnken of Hackbright Academy
Title: Instructor
Wednesday, Nov 30 2016

Dear Hackbright Student,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Rigorous curriculum and a professional, inclusive learning environment are at the core of our educational values. I find it unacceptable that a student wouldn't feel welcome while learning at Hackbright, and I value your feedback. If there's any additional context you are able to provide, please email me at meggie@hackbrightacademy.com so we can chat directly about how we can improve our student experience.
Sincerely,
Meggie Mahnken
Instructor, Hackbright Academy

Response From: Sharon Wienbar of Hackbright Academy
Title: CEO
Thursday, Oct 27 2016

Dear Hackbright Grad,
I'm deeply sorry to hear that we disappointed you. We are striving to change the ratio and although we’ve had hundreds of delighted alumnae, I felt that it was important for me to respond to you personally and to acknowledge your feedback. Our goal is to combine intellectual rigor AND a supportive, inclusive environment that lets all our students excel.

Please allow me to address a few of your points.

The Hackbright educational staff has a broad and deep mix of experience, including professional software development, prior teaching experience at advanced levels and other industry experience. The instructors who join our staff after completing the Hackbright Fellowship are among the most technical of our graduates from each quarter. And we invest heavily in their on-going technical training. Our instructors build the software Hackbright uses to operate. They also develop numerous outside projects, contribute to Open Source communities, host and speak at technical conferences, and host and win hackathons.

We just published the Outcomes Report for 2014 and the first 3 quarters of 2015. We were indeed acquired by Capella, which has helped us bring a whole new level of rigor to our reporting. Unfortunately that has cost us and our community time. The report has been reviewed and certified by a third party audit firm, and has gone through in-depth legal review. That's part of a big company process....slower than a startup, but more thorough. I apologize for our delays.

Hackbright was also licensed by the BPPE, the California regulatory authority over non-degree educational institutions. Very few other code schools have completed this process. As part of our on-going compliance we will publish annual School Performance Reports.

Last, I'd like to thank you for noting all the great continuing education options on the web. Many applicants to Hackbright use those, as do our grads.

Again, I am sorry our program did not meet your expectations. Our Career Services team is here to support you in this job search and for your technical career. "Once a Hackbright, Always a Hackbright" is our motto. I hope we can earn your respect and trust.

Sincerely,