hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (241) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    After you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Financing options are available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    $1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Students need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Hack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
    Interview
    December 9, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 2, 2019
    October 21, 2019 - AustinApply by September 14, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - AustinApply by November 2, 2019
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 29, 2019
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Applicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Interview
    October 29, 2019 - Online
    December 9, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 2, 2019

• Patrick • Student

I'll preface by saying Hack Reactor is not for the faint of heart. I truly believe anyone can do it - but not everybody will. Some people will not have the right attitude, drive, and determination to do what needs to be done to complete the program successfully.  That being said, if you decide you want to do it and that there's nothing that can stop you, nothing will.

I did Hack Reactor after investigating a bunch of bootcamps.  I decided on Hack Reactor due to their focus on people as whole software engineers instead of just as coders. I am more than happy with my decision. I was hired on as a TA after the program. During my time at Hack Reactor I've watched the curriculum grow in ways other bootcamps have not. It is really the best program available.

The only advice I'd give my younger pre-Hack Reactor self is do more studying before the program. Take some only CS classes from Harvard, MIT, or Stanford (they're all available online for free). Get a better solid foundation on which to build your CS knowledge. Other than that, I wouldn't have done anything differently.

• Tyler • Graduate

When I first heard about Hack Reactor, I was skeptical of how a 3 month program could actually help land me a career in software engineering. But now having gone through the program, I can say that it has helped me reach my goals.

The thing with Hack Reactor is that it gives back to you exactly the effort that you put into it. It provides you with amazing mentors which are the cornerstone of the success of the program. Without them, the program would not be as successful.

The curriculum is excellent as well. Without the tech mentor, you could have found other decent resources online, but the guidance from the dedicated staff makes an incredible difference. Along with that, the skills you develop socially when working with the counselor help to develop what you need to succeed at the interview and on the job.

The main draw of what you are paying for is a well designed curriculum, strong peers, mentors who care and the ability to market yourself in interviews.

• A Miller • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor at the SF campus from October 2017 - Jan 2018, and my overall experience was extremely positive. I got a full-time position ~2 months after graduating as a Software Engineer at a tech company in the Bay Area.

PROS: HR will teach you what you need to know to A) get a job in Software Engineering, and B) actually do the job in Software Engineering. The curriculum was great - I was impressed that just about everything we were taught helped me on the job search / is helping me perform at a high level at my job. The first half of the course is built on teaching the fundamentals of web development/JavaScript and various front-end frameworks/backend technologies, and the second half is multiple group projects to get real experience utilizing those skills you learned in the first half (and also build out your portfolio for your GitHub/resume, which is a must-have for the job search). The staff/teachers are constantly adjusting the curriculum based on what the job market is looking for (including swapping in some of the latest frameworks), and the recent (Fall 2017) rework of the final project was extremely instrumental in me getting a job. Short summary of that project - it focused on building out a copy of the backend of a large app (my group chose Instagram), and utilizing a lot of modern technologies/methodologies to scale and deploy it. Being able to talk in-depth about database optimization techniques, horizontally/vertically scaling applications, properly implementing things like a cache and message bus/job queue, and Dockerizing and deploying my app to AWS was absolutely how I gained traction in the job search (and ultimately land a job in this field). Finally, my favorite part was the people - I moved to SF from across the country, not knowing anyone in the city....but through my time at HR I met some awesome people, and I have some extremely close friends (some students, some staff!) because of it. If you want to get 30 new friends in 3 months, then do a coding bootcamp.

CONS: The pace is very fast, and it's pretty hard too. The reason they have such fantastic job placement/salary stats and are regarded as one of the elite bootcamps (it's hard to believe, but you actually will make $100K+ when you graduate) is because learning this material in just 90 days is HARD. I put in the time required to study for the admissions exam as well as the material HR requires you to study during the 5 weeks immediately before you start...but I still struggled at times during the course, and I frequently found myself wishing I had studied a little harder before the program started. Be prepared to put in 60 hrs/week throughout the entire course; because I was scared of falling behind, I actually put in 80 hrs/week during the first half. There isn't room in the program to slack off and definitely not enough room to work part-time. It's totally worth it in the end, but if you're not prepared to give it your 100% focus then it will be frustrating and will lead to a much more difficult time during the job search.

• Jacob Sklar • Graduate

I made the switch to software engineering from law. I was starting from scratch with no technical expertise at all. Through my research I concluded that Hack Reactor was the best coding school available, and I went to their website to figure out the steps I needed to take to get up to speed and start the immersive. By closely following the free material from Hack Reactor's website, I was quickly able to get to where I needed to be to pass the admissions interview. Given how much I learned from Hack Reactor's free content, it was an easy decision for me to accept the offer.

After completing a rigorous precourse, I arrived at Hack Reactor ready to start drinking from the firehose. Through lectures, algorithm and data structures problems, and a lot of pair programming, I was able to learn how to be an autonomous full-stack software engineer. I wasn't just exposed to the latest tech, I was put through a process that taught me how to solve problems and get up to speed on any new technology. I was also given the chance to build out my portfolio and develop my teammwork skills by creating complex applications with my fellow students. I learned how to develop using agile principles and the scrum methodology.

In addition to learning how to be a software engineer, Hack Reactor gave me support for my job search, allowing me to land multiple offers within three months of leaving the immersive. I was given help with my resume, advice on preparing for interviews, and support from actual human beings. This support extended beyond graduation to ensure that my job search went as smoothly as possible. I would strongly reccomment Hack Reactor to anyone passionate about becoming a software engineer and willing to put in the effort to make it happen.

• Johnathan Cao • Software Engineer • Graduate

For me, Hack Reactor was worth every penny of tuition. It is a wonderful program with an incredibly well-designed curriculum. I was previously working in corporate finance and earning six figures, so this was not a decision I took lightly. I am now working as a software engineer at a major telecommunications company, writing code to deliver video content (and working in Golang to boot!).

I was worried about the pay cut I’d take to start over in a new industry, as I have earned my MBA and was making salary in line with my credentials. The pay cut ended up being only 10% and my skills are far ahead of the <1 year engineers with whom I am competing. Factor in that I had a reduction in working hours of 25+%, I’d say I came out ahead on a net basis (yes, we only work 40 hours a week!!!).

If you’re on the fence, there are two things that you need to think long and hard about:

1) Is this the career that I want?

— Learn to code and see if you enjoy it. The curriculum (and career that follows school) will be rigorous and challenging. If you’re doing it just for the money, you will struggle (this is why I left finance in the first place). I used to compete in computer science competitions in high school and really loved solving these types of problems; that’s how I knew this is the career path upon which I wanted to embark.

2) Am I willing to put in the time and effort?

— Like many other things in life, you will get out what you put in. One of my primary reasons for choosing Hack Reactor was the rigor of the curriculum. And it did not disappoint. The program is short relative to traditional higher education, but it will consume your life for the duration. That’s what it takes if you want to be the best!! We were in class for 60+ hours per week and I studied an additional 15 hours per week on my own outside of class. My stance was that if I am quitting a high paying job to do this, I want to maximize my learning so that I can improve my starting salary.

In addition to coding, Hack Reactor also does a great job with building soft skills. You’ll spend the entire program learning how to code as part of a team. There’s also practice with speaking and giving presentations. The staff provides a great support network that you can go to when you’re feeling stressed.

Here’s a bonus: one of my classmates had actually attended another boot camp (I won’t say who) and ended up attending Hack Reactor because he wasn’t satisfied with the education he got at the other camp. His problem with the other camp was that they went too wide — covered many languages and concepts, but became experts at none. Hack Reactor focuses on using JavaScript to drive just about everything so that you can learn those deeper concepts and take them with you to other languages. I credit this as one of the key reasons that I was able to land a job where the primarily language is one that I have never touched before!!

After graduation, I met with my team and career services on a weekly basis. Hack Reactor does a great job at giving you the tools and at providing the support you need post-graduation to land that first job. I was able to lean on career services for plenty of help with mock interviews, white boarding practice, and salary negotiation strategies. My team helped me identify opportunities for networking events. Additionally there’s a very active and vibrant Hack Reactor Alumni Slack channel, where people are always talking about career advice, who’s hiring, new technologies, and a multitude of other topics!

• Grant Spilsbury • Graduate

Hack Reactor is what you make of it... but they give you all the tools and support to make it great.

There are many ways to get a job as a software engineer: one of the quickest is through Hack Reactor. I had previous coding experience (sans Javascript). Hack Reactor got me up to speed with current best practices, latest coding techniques, dramatically improved my soft skills (being able to talk code one on one or in groups), and helped me put together my javascript portfolio.

I'm based in Australia and got really lucky and landed a mid-level Frontend Engineering job with an international company during the last week of Hack Reactor. But not everyone is so lucky. You must understand that they don't hand you a job. You have to take what you've learned during the course and bash down doors until someone hires you. The course is the "easy" part.

• Kate • Front End Engineer • Graduate

I am 100% happy that I chose to study at Hack Reactor. 10/10 with rice would do again.

I did the full-time remote program. I have a BFA and was a bartender before I started. I did a lot of self study, built some apps on my own, and was rejected once before attending.

My knowledge and understanding of Javascript, frameworks, and full stack development increased in a way I couldn't have replicated on my own in the same amount of time. The soft skills that you learn here are also extremely invaluable and it's what set me apart from others while searching for a job afterwards.

It was extremely hard, probably the most demanding 3 months of my life, but Hack Reactor taught me how to learn on my own, which has proven useful since my first day at my new job I was using PHP.

Advice: apply for the scholarship, and make time to take care of yourself while you are in the program.

• Antonio Caporicci • Software Engineer • Graduate

As a former public school teacher I was skeptical of the overall Bootcamp Experience.  The fees seemed exorbitant, and the promises of employment appeared out of line with my own perceptions of the job market.  After reading reviews and shopping around town I realized that Hack Reactor wasn’t offering what most bootcamps were,  they were providing an environment that allows people to push themselves to learn more than they thought possible. Even the entrance process was far more rigorous than what most bootcamps covered in the first part of their programs.  After taking the tour and talking to some alumni I decided that I would take the plunge, and I am truly thankful that I was able to be apart of this transformative program.

From the first day it was evident that the entire staff valued my experience.  The rigors of the curriculum proved to be an immense challenge, but one that I was never alone in.  All of the staff is incredibly supportive, and I was surrounded by the most inspirational group of peers I have ever met.

The curriculum is constantly evolving, and Hack Reactor provides the most up to date skills employers are looking for.  Most importantly though, they allow you to explore and experience the autonomy that will be needed day to day on the job.  During the first week, there was a lecture on the importance of the adopting the “Growth Mindset,” and  I can’t think of a more appropriate analogy for the overall experience of attending Hack Reactor.  If you show up every day with an open mind, work really hard, and push past minor setbacks along the way, you will come out the other end employable as a software engineer.

A year ago I decided to pursue a career software because I was looking for a challenging, yet rewarding skillset, a good work/life balance, and a comfortable salary.  Hack Reactor has provided me with all of the tools I needed to make that happen, and I can’t recommend them enough!

• Philip M • Software Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor (LA campus for me) was an excellent experience that I would recommend to anyone looking into coding bootcamps. I was very hesitant to do it at first because of the price and uncertainty, but I do not regret it at all. The course material was designed in such a way to teach us problem solving and autonomy as much as the technical skills to be full-stack JS developers. The instructors and staff were also top-notch and were helpful every step of the way. They are notably great at listening to feedback and are constantly improving as they get suggestions from students and industry experts. The work is tough and the days are long, but it was all worth it in the end.

• Hank Bowen • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor May - July 2017, and can confidently say that it was  among the best personal and professional decisions I have made in my life. Not only does the program truly prepare you for a field in web development and software engineering, but the staff are also incredibly helpful and invested in your success. The curriculum is challenging but fun, and pushes students to learn autonomously in a supportive environment. I also had the incredible opportunity to stay on for 3 months after completing the program as a "Hacker in Residence", which is probably best described as a TA. The experience gave me the opportunity to fortify my skills and act as a mentor for students completing the course. I found that having recent students in this kind of role helped build my confidence, both as a student and as a graduate entering the market place. After completing my residency as an HiR, I landed a great job in Austin after about a 2 month search.

In addition to great material and structure throughout the program, after graduation you have access to dedicated career services who will support and coach you through the job search. I would highly recommend Hack Reactor to anyone interested in a career in tech, especially if you have no prior background.

• John Packel • Hard Core Decentralization Developer • Graduate

During my 20+ years in technology as an entrepreneur, product developer and marketer - much of it working with developers - I often wondered what was going on under the hood in the products and services I was creating and selling.

After 9 years at American Express, and having become obsessed with cryptocurrencies and the emerging blockchain ecosystem since discovering it in 2013, I left in July 2016 to add software engineering to my skillset and hopefully gain an ability to begin to understand technologies like Bitcoin on a deeper, technical level.

Hack Reactor was the perfect choice for me, and I wrote about the my initial 5 weeks in the program in this blog post: Wrestling with a New Paradigm and Relishing the “Obstacle As the Way”
    Coding bootcamps bring tremendous value — to both employers and a U.S. workforce in need of serious retooling

Fast forward a year and I'm in my dream job at ConsenSys, combining my product development experience with my new full-stack dev skills to create the MVP for a decentralized loyalty platform inspired by the local currency movement (I architected the app and am coding much of the back end), Localties.io.

I highly recommend adding software engineering to your skillset, I fully endorse Hack Reactor and their approach to achieving measurable results through data-driven real-time iterations based on weekly student feedback and the skills employers are currently demanding, and I'm happy to speak with anyone seriously considering a bootcamp.

• Timothy Roy • Software Engineer • Graduate

I'd taught myself web development and had been doing it for a bit before coming to Hack Reactor, and had also done several courses on algorithms.

In fact, partway through the first half of the course, I noticed that I already knew all the concepts being taught. Should I keep going?

I did keep going, and that was a great decision. Even though I had more experience than the usual person who attends Hack Reactor, I gained the three benefits I hoped for.

First, in-depth JavaScript. Hack Reactor isn't really a 0-60 program, more of a 20-120. While many JavaScript engineers have a somewhat superficial understanding of the language, Hack Reactor grads really, really know it. JavaScript has libraries for every programming concept you can think of, and being very comfortable with several different versions of the language unlocks all those libraries.

Second, experience collaborating with other engineers using industry-standard Agile techniques. This approach is built into the curriculum, and then you build it in to your team's projects during the second half of the course. You have the opportunity to use tools like ZenHub or Waffle to drive and coordinate your development.

Third, a great portfolio. Using a great tech stack, my team and I built slick-looking applications in only a few weeks. When I applied for positions, both the app and the code really impressed people.

Many of my fellow students at Hack Reactor had no prior experience, but with hard work they were able to gain impressive skills. Some students have computer science degrees and come for coding experience. Some, like me, have a bit of prior experience and come to round it out and build a portfolio. That portfolio really works!

I thought the entire course was very well structured and targeted to provide maximum value and learning, and you build a great sense of community with your fellow Hack Reactors, which turns into a great network after you graduate. I also thought the career advice and resume preparation was very professional and well-done.

If you come, be sure to sleep and take time off. Some cohorts are especially motivated and it can be easy not to stop. Personally, I've noticed that students who never take a break actually have a tougher time. Give your brain a chance to put it all together

• Trace • Junior FullStack Engineer • Student

I had a great experience during the boot camp and after. During the course, there was always someone there to help, and they were great at restraining themselves so you still had to learn on your own. I got enough instruction to help and motivate me to keep learning and just little enough to give me the confidence to succeed.

After the course, the staff and my classmates kept in touch weekly through video chat which is amazing for what will be a very stressful time in your life. There was a lot of support offered and the networking through Hack Reactor is very good. Everyone in my class got at least one interview through their network or from a rep invited to come to the school, and I ended up getting a job with someone who had previously gone through the program. Total time for me was 8 months, 3 months in the program and 5 months to the first day on the job (I was the last in my class to land one btw)!

• Sam Olukotun • Graduate

I had planned to pursue a master's degree when I came across Hack Reactor. Compared to a traditional college, Hack Reactor has turned out to be a more rewarding investment of my time and money. Highly recommended.

• Matt Fernandez • Software Engineer • Graduate

Growing up I always gravitated to computers.  I was part of the ‘computer club’ growing up.  I built computers, and I programmed.  For one reason or the other I felt that it would be impossible for me to complete my dream of becoming a Software Engineer.  Hack Reactor helped me complete my goal.

I went through Hack Reactor Prep, I interviewed, I got accepted, I went through pre-course, I went through the immersive, and I spent time as an Hacker in Residence.  Now I am working as a Software Engineer.  Hack Reactor works.

Remember Hack Reactor is in the business of creating Software Engineers.  Traditional 4 year institutions are in the business of giving you a diploma.  If your goal is to become a Software Engineer then you should go through Hack Reactor.

The Hack Reactor staff is dedicated to student growth.  Your colleagues will be some of the most dedicated, and passionate folks that you will ever meet.  All of them will come from different walks of life.  All of them as crazy as you.  All of them crazy as you about becoming a Software Engineer.

It will be one of the most challenging things that you will ever go through.  I worked very long hours to not fall behind during the immersive program.  Having said that, it was worth it.  Hack Reactor has given me a second chance at life.

• Great education
    - 10/26/2017
    Conor • Software engineer • Graduate

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Hack Reactor. The instructors were top notch, happy to talk to you about anything you may not understand at anytime during the hours of the course. The curriculum is also phenomenal.

• HR made my career
    - 10/26/2017
    Roberto Alvarez • Frontend Engineer II • Graduate

My experience is of April 2014. I was in the 12th cohort of Hack Reactor, so things might have changed. But this is my experience:

If you are planning to go serious into software, Hack Reactor is the best thing you can possibly do. If indeed you are serious enough, plan on disappearing from life for 3 months to fully dive into software engineering with JavaScript and related technologies. Forget about your previous life, and prepare yourself for the new, better life. It will not be easy, and it will not be soft on you - yet it will be truly amazing. Expect to walk into the building at around 8:30 am, and leaving maybe around 11pm, 6 days a week. You get to a point when you can no longer think or talk coherently (or at least I couldn’t), then you zombie your way back home, and sleep. Even then, some of my teammates even stayed longer - and some of them didn’t sleep at all sometimes (not that I would recommend that). As somebody else put it (I can’t remember who it was, but it wasn’t me), it’s like being extremely thirsty and trying to drink from a fire hose. When the program ends, you will be incredibly tired, but also proud with yourself. You will be pretty excited and looking forward to succeed in your first job as a software engineer.

The program:

People come from all over the world for Hack Reactor, myself included. I think that speaks for itself, but feel free to keep reading.

First half:

In the first half, you are pretty much very thirsty and start drinking. The pace is incredibly fast (remember not sleeping?) and relies on you being able to pick up on things real quick. You will try to absorb 100% of what’s going on, and then you’ll realize that’s impossible, and lower your standards a little bit. Even then, the amount of knowledge and hands on practice that you get is amazing. You will forget what day of the week it is, and start thinking of time as 2-day blocks, (in which different sprints happen, each covering key topics or new technologies/libraries). You will not realize how much you’ve grown (and will not believe it when other people and instructors tell you you’ve grown). The first half of the program, after 6 incredibly intense weeks, ends with a 2 day solo hackaton, where you get to “take yourself for a test drive” ( - Ryan Stellar), building anything from your own imagination from the ground up. Any ideas you’ve always wanted to do ? This is the time. And you can probably do it by now, and if you can’t, you can learn how to real fast.

Second half:

The second half marks your transition from an eager junior to a more experienced senior student, where you get to work more in small and mid-sized teams. There’s two projects you complete in the remaining 6 weeks, and by the end you also get some very sweet guidance on job hunting efficiently. Some people choose to work for third party companies, some don’t. Whatever you choose, it will be another amazing experience, and by the end, you will have a very impressive set of projects to show off in hiring day. Hiring day takes place a few days before you graduate, and basically features a bunch of cool companies and startups getting to know you and convincing themselves on how awesome you and your friends are.

Staff and instructors:

By now I am sure you’ve heard on how awesome Marcus/Phillip/Fred/Ryan/Ruan and pretty much everyone is, but you may not be fully convinced. Well, if that’s the case I probably can’t convince you either, so just play the number’s game. All of us seem to share that opinion, so it’s probably very accurate. You will not be disappointed.

The people (classmates):

The most amazing and ridiculously brilliant people, all in the same room.

The experience:

Overall, around 4.8 / 5. It’s not perfect, but it’s very close. And the people at Hack Reactor take feedback very seriously, so it just keeps getting better and better. Specific suggestions that the previous class made were already incorporated into mine. It is always innovating and searching for new ways to make it even more awesome. The amount of work that goes into user experience is impressive. If you manage to get past the technical interviewsand the cultural fit, you will have a blast going through the program.

I have had 2 jobs since Hack Reactor, one at a bigger tech company (LinkedIn) and currently in a start-up. I have had multiple promotions in these ~3 years since graduating HR. Hack Reactor helped me achieve my true potential (cliche, I know)

• Adrian • Applicant

tldr - go to app academy

I was accepted into Hack Reactor, then 6 days before I was supposed to enter the program, I was told I couldn't come anymore. I passed the technical assessment, even did the Pre-course work, but a week before my cohort was supposed to start, we were told we had to have a "counselor check" (which was never part of the admissions process until we were notified). Then after the counselor check, I get an email saying I was "provisionally accepted." Keep in mind, that was AFTER I was already accepted. So I send a reply email, then get a call, and I was told that reply email was totally inappropriate. I disagreed and then I was told I wouldn't be able to come to this cohort after all. So I just withdrew completely from Hack Reactor at that point. There are a bunch of reasons this was really unprofessional, but the first is that this "counselor check" could have EASILY been done after the technical assessment (MONTHS before the starting cohort date), thereby letting me know months in advance if I was fully accepted. This is why people think coding bootcamps are sketchy, and I have to say, after my experience, they are right to think that. My advice, check out App Academy, which seems like a legit and trustworthy bootcamp.

• Jason Kim • Software Engineer • Graduate

This program was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.  Let me tell you a little bit about my background before joining Hack Reactor.  I was a network engineer for close to 5 years and was really unsatisifed with what I was doing with my career.  I wanted to be more creative and have a bigger impact on things I use everyday.  I still wanted to be in tech so the next logical career path was probably becoming a software engineer.  I quit my job in June of 2016 and moved to LA to persue Hack Reactor.  I  had very little experience with Coding before Hack Reactor, and when I say very little I mean none..

I started to study for Hack Reactor in December 2016 by doing codecademy, reading eloquent JS, and most importantly finishing Hack Reactor prep program.  I learned so much about programming in the few months leading up to Hack Reactor.

I thought the admissions interview was going to be by far the hardest thing and once I got into the program It would be a breeze.  Boy was I WRONG WRONG WRONG.  Compared to the actual program, the admissions interview was a cake walk(hopefully this doesnt discourage you!).

I bust my ass off and pass my admissions interview and get accepted to the January 2017 cohort.  I ended up delaying until March because I felt I wasn't ready and needed more time to study(which i did).

The first half of HR was super tough but it taught me a lot about myself.  You honestly get what you put into this program.  If you are willing to put in 90+ hours a week like I did, then I can  promise you can get to wherever you want to be.  There were many times I wanted to quit but the support staff are great and keep you motivated and on track.  Looking back, HR teaches you basically all the fundementals you need to be a sucessful programmer and software engineer.  HR isn't something you can half ass and expect to get a job coming out of the program.

AUTONOMY AUTONOMY AUTONOMY this is what they preach in this program.  You have to be willing to figure out problems without the instructors spoon feeding you.  Honestly it's the best and fastest way to learn.

Second half of HR was the most enjoyable and gratifying part of the program.  I learned so much and was able to build awesome apps by the time the program was ready to end.  I felt I was industry ready!

Without HR I would not have found a job as a software engieer and would not have the tools and knowledge to jump start my new career.  And yes I did get a job but that process was a beast of its own.  Dont expect to get a job out of this program unless you are willing to put in the same amount of hours applying and studying you did during the program.  Nothing is given to you! You have to earn it.

TLDR;

If you don't have a cs degree and you are interested in programming as a career, take this bootcamp because its basically an accelerated college program that teaches you everything you need to know to start and be a well rounded programmer.

• Best decision ever
    - 8/23/2017
    Wyatt Lindsey • Software Engineer • Graduate

I want to add to the choir of praise for Hack Reactor from my own experience as a student in their remote program.  In short, it was the best professional decision of my life.  I was stalled out in a career for which I had nearly zero enthusiasm when I decided to apply.  People at work who learned about the admittedly hefty price tag were shocked.  "For a three-month program?  Why don't you save a bundle and teach yourself?"  I had been working on that for years, but competing priorities like my full-time job kept pushing that learning until everything else was completed in my day.  I was making solid but slow progress on random disciplines.  It felt kind of like learning a foreign language with just a phrasebook.

The remote program empowered me to meet my three basic goals.  Specifically, those were to build applications with technologies I like, work remotely from home, and make an abundant income doing what I love.  Maybe those goals were too ambitious for someone with no professional software experience.  I am thrilled to tell you that the program delivered and I achieved my dream only a month after graduation.  Despite my high expectations of the outcome, I was surprised by how soon I was choosing between multiple awesome job offers.

I'm currently rounding six months working as a software engineer at a great startup.  I realize now that during the Hack Reactor program I didn't fully understand the many ways that the curriculum prepared me for the exact experience of doing this work professionally, e.g. sifting through a mountain of code you don't understand.  No spoilers, but their methods remind me of Daniel-san's work with "wax on, wax off" in The Karate Kid.  Writing production-grade applications professionally has made me appreciate the curriculum and methods much more.  I feel like I can approach problems as a true engineer with a firm grasp of fundamentals, both abstract and concrete.  I'm still noticing the unexpected ways I draw from my Hack Reactor training when tackling day-to-day problems as an engineer.  The program changed the way I approach any technical challenge, on both intellectual and instinctual levels.

One other thing that surprised me about the program was its unique way of teaching you the social aspects of development.  I think some aspiring programmers don't realize just how much collaboration goes into a large prime-time application.  I'm thankful for the practice solving problems with other people and working through pain points like "merge hell" in Git, for example.  Hack Reactor addresses the interpersonal aspects of working as a software developer, one of the things that makes this bootcamp peerless.

You probably know this, but the program isn't for everyone.  You could potentially have a bad time.  This work is difficult and can be discouraging before it's rewarding.  If you haven't at least dabbled with programming or read some books, you should make sure you enjoy writing your own code, beyond prepackaged tutorials. Hack Reactor reminds me of a catapult.  It will launch your skills and career a great distance in a short time, but having at least hobby experience will wind that catapult tighter.  The more you bring to the program, the further it will launch you.  If you're a person who gets really frustrated or panicky when something doesn't work correctly the first, tenth or fiftieth time, you're probably going to burn out.  Expect to spend a lot of time scrolling through threatening error messages.  You'll watch your hard work crumble into oblivion after a tiny code change.  You'll run up against issues and conflicts for which there is not yet a solution.  Hack Reactor of course has great people and resources to help get you out of a jam, but you should be ready to tear through documentation, GitHub Issues and StackOverflow discussions so you can competently solve your own problems.  In short, the experience is intense and often painful.  However, as I've heard it said, you're not going to find a life with no pain or problems; the secret to happiness is choosing the problems you enjoy solving.

I'm obviously blown away by how this program rocket launched me into the life I wanted.  That said, there are going to be rough edges in the remote program.  The methods and teaching are superb, but the production value isn't super glossy.  They're not Treehouse or Lynda.  You might see the occasional mismatch between links and materials for example.  Since the curriculum is continually refactored to reflect the present (looking at you, ES7+), it makes sense that the instruction delivery and materials aren't going to have a high gloss finish.  You might even think to yourself, "for this money, it should be perfect."  But keep in mind that you're not paying for a traditional online instruction program.  You're paying for a well designed and super effective remote "container" in which you'll do the best learning of your life.  You're paying for talented and supportive staff who bring amazing value to the experience.  They are the backbone of the program, giving shape and accountability to the container.  I owe my success, during and after Hack Reactor, to the dedication and skill they bring to their individual roles as mentors, coaches and coordinators.

To sum up, my Hack Reactor Remote experience was a crucible, a transformation and a dress-rehearsal for my new career, all rolled into one.  I can't recommend it enough for the dedicated and disciplined individual aspiring to start or accelerate a career in software.

• Burk • Developer • Graduate

It was not easy. It took months of self-study just to pass the entrance interview. Once accepted, there was more work to do before I was allowed in the door. All in all, I was coding near full time for four months before I started Hack Reactor. Once in, I was putting in 60+ hour weeks for three months. It was brutal.

It was also not cheap. On top of the price tag, there is the cost of being unemployed for three months. I tried to work mornings while in the bootcamp, but the hours piled up and I just couldn't maintin. After graduation, I spent almost three months unemployed before I was working. I took out loans and ended up maxing out credit cards to make this happen. I was debt-free walking into Hack Reactor. Not anymore.

It was devastating to my social life. There was no work-life balance. There isn't time. Hanging out with friends and family became work. I was always calculating how much going to a friend's house was going to cost me in class the next day. I have a wife and kids that I rarely saw except on Sundays. I used up a lot of social capitol that I had to rebuild.

All that said, for my first job as a Software Developer I'm working at an incredible company making six figures. That goes a long way in Austin. I'll have paid off my debt in a year and a half or so on top of an upgrade in quality of life. Sure, I lost three months of my life (and six months of paychecks) and probably aged a few years, but the RoI was huge. I'm the first bootcamp graduate that my company has hired because I'm the first one that could pass their coding challenge. All bootcamps are not created equal. This one is worth it.

• Dailen Spencer • Senior Integration Engineer • Graduate

I began coding when I was introduced to the Computer Science Engineering field at my university. I quickly came to understand that I had found my passion and art. However, overtime, the synthetic and standardized environment of the university began to take a toll on my learning experince and day to day life in general. Slowly, I transitioned more and more to utilizing resources and documentation provided by third party sources like Treehouse, StackOverflow, etc. Overtime it became clear to me that the knowledge and material I was being taught through the university was well out of date. Further, there was no pratical application of the material being taught. Every course was focused on the theory of the field rather than developing pratical skills to acquire a job.

So, at 18 years of age, I decided to abandon the traditional route of education. I departed from the University of Florida in the hopes of pursuing something greater than the standardized classroom environemnt. Looking back, this was the greatest decision I have made thus far in my life. I was accepted into the HackReactor program shortly after. I went though 3 months of ups and downs, adventurous learning, and autonomous development, and was was offered a role as a remote senior integration engineering position at ClickTripz, LLC. At 21 years old, my salary of 90k, placed me in the top 10% income bracket of the United States.

I could write a novel about the intricaces of the HackReactor program and everything they will provide you with. On a deep level, they taught me how to learn autonomously and adapt to the tremendous changes that are ocurring not on the in the tech field, but in our society as a whole. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be able to tackle any commplex problems I am confronted with in the future, due to HackReactors incredible system. I work on a system that has an average daily user base of 1.5 million users and my work flow changes on a daily basis. My ability to keep up to engineers that have been embedded in the tech field for decades was provided by HackReactor's program.

In summary, HackReactor is an incredible program if you are an individual looking for an alternative and reliable path to a great career. The tech industry is booming and will continue to rise in the forseable future. HackRector will provide you with the skills and mindset you need to succeed.

• Regina Lee • Graduate

I am a career switcher and prior to attending Hack Reactor I had very little experience and exposure to programming and was deciding between General Assembly and HR. After researching and asking around, it was clear that HR had the better reputation and I ultimately went with it- and what a great decision that turned out to be.

Hack Reactor was the best environment for me to grow and become a developer. They do their best to foster autonomy but still provide the support needed if you are struggling. Having come from a traditional education background, it definitely took some time getting used to the curriculum (not your typical, lecture-test-lecture-test format), but once I adapted it was the perfect way to learn software engineering.

It definitely isn't for everyone- the program demands long hours and information (esp in the first 6 weeks) is dispersed very quickly. As a student, you learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable, a skill that I'm now utilizing in the industry. You are also taught how to conjure code and pick up new tools quickly, another skillset that is proving invaluable in the workforce. I especially enjoyed the second six weeks, where you are put into groups of 3 or 4 to develop a full stack application from scratch. To think that I went from struggling to write a for loop to building a full stack mobile app, demonstrates Hack Reactor's strong curriculum. The program is not perfect, but the core staff, instructors, and teaching fellows are always open to hearing suggestions and act quickly on them to ensure that each cohort has an improved experience.

Overall my experience at Hack Reactor was more than worthwhile and it definitely helped me achieve my end goal of becoming a software engineer.

• Amazing!
    - 7/13/2017
    Forrest Miller • Web Developer • Graduate

About 10 months ago I started my path towards becoming a web developer by attending Reactor Prep, followed a month later with enterence into the rigerous program. During my time time at HR my brain experienced an overhaul, during the day it fealt as if I were drinking from a firehose, and at night I would dream only of code. The amount of knowledge you take in, in such a short amount of time, is staggering and also rewarding.

I'm writing this about 4 months after my graduation, at my desk in a new office, and as an employed web dev.

If you are thinking of attending a bootcamp, HR is an excelent choice!

• Nathan Turinski • Software Engineer • Graduate

I will reiterate what a classmate of mine already wrote, "This class is not for everyone."

It's a reallly difficult, unique thing to drop your social obligations for 90 days and be in a solitary, confined space for 60 hours a week.  If you value your alone time, it'll be excruiating to be around people 6 out of 7 days of the week without really anywhere to escape to.

That being said, through the exhaustion, there lies a wonderful, rewarding experience where you will learn a lot about not just programming, but about yourself as well.  Linden is the most wonderful support system (yes, she by herself is a system).  However, as is with most experiences in life, you get what you put in.  You have to be willing to open up and speak your mind or you may feel like the sessions aren't a productive use of time.

I waited 2 months after my graduation date to write a review, waiting until I accepted an offer.  Now that I have officially accepted a position, I can candidly promote the success of Hack Reactor.

The actual cirriculum does its job and is constantly adapting to new needs and feedback.  That being said, this cannot fit everybody's learning styles.  I'm sure most people have ready other reviews, but if you haven't, the course is broken up into 2 parts: junior and senior phases.  The junior phase is broken up into (mostly) 2-day sprints where you cycle through a new partner each sprint.  Together, you tackle a programming challenge with only one computer.  If you have control issues, (whether you are too controlling or too passive) this will an awful time, but a great learning experience.  You can't rely on these sprints to actually learn the frameworks-- they're intended to just give you a taste of what the framework can do and its syntax.

The senior phase breaks you into 3-4 people groups where you will collorborate to create anything that your team decides.  This is by far the bulk of your learning and why you will want to invest the money in this program.  All of the sprints lend itself to allow you to choose a frameworks to really utilize and learn intimately.   After interviewing for a couple of months, it seems that having an open-source Github where you have colloborated and worked with other people is essential.  It demonstrates two things: 1.) You can actually code and 2.) You can work with others.  A startling amount of new grads can't do either of these things so this eases the mind of the interviewers and recruiters.

The last week of class is dedicated to job seeking process.  While this was very useful and gave all of the tools to succeed in the job search, the post graduation job assistance was a bit of a mixed bag for me.  However, I feel that job assitance is more of a courtesey service, considering you are paying for the 3 months in class, and don't think I should be very harsh.  I also acknowledge that I didn't really need the service to stay motivated (my wallet was enough of a motivator), but if you are a person who does, maybe you will utilize the job assistance way more effectively than I did.

If this program sounds appealing to you, then I wholeheartedly suggest that you invest in yourself and take the course.  Part of the reason I enjoyed my experience so much is because of the dynamic group of people this class atrracted.  Maybe it's unique to my class, but the program attracted people of varying ages, backgrounds, and personalities; however we all had something in common.  We wanted to better ourselves and our lives, and we were willing to work hard to get there. So if that's you, take a chance on Hack Reactor.