hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (241) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (55) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, New York City, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, Online
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    After you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We work with lending companies that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Financing options are available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    $1.3MM Hack Reactor Scholarship Fund - visit www.hackreactor.com/scholarships to apply!
    Students need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Hack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
    Interview
    December 9, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 2, 2019
    October 21, 2019 - AustinApply by September 14, 2019
    December 9, 2019 - AustinApply by November 2, 2019
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 29, 2019
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Applicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Interview
    October 29, 2019 - Online
    December 9, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 2, 2019

• Kevin Weng • Student

Hack Reactor was an absolutely amazing and life-changing experience. I know it sounds corny and overused, but it 100% changed my life for the better. The program drove home the idea that the opportunity to attend the program is a rare one, and I should respect that opportunity and take full advantage of it. With that opportunity, I am expected to work HARD, and that hard work WILL pay off. In the first few weeks, the lecturers reinforced and made relatable a very common saying, that success is 90% hard work. That really stuck with me, and pushed me. One of the best things about the program is that the program itself, aka the journey, is also the prize, as the journey is the learning that will allow us to pass tough interviews, showcase learned skills, and ultimately land a good paying job in software engineering. That mentality helped me stay motivated for the duration of the program. One key differentiator between Hack Reactor and traditional colleges is motivation. I attended college because of expectations, not because of my own desire. I attended Hack Reactor after attending college, a graduate program, and after working for a few years and feeling extremely unhappy and stuck. This situation added a ton of motivation for me to work my hardest and to do my best, to have a successful outcome of finding a full time software engineering job. The curriculum was also fantastic. The day is broken up into bite sized chunks of lecture, exercise, and deeper dive small projects. This structure helped me stay focused and helped me work for longer, especially compared against the long monotony of self-study and test-prep of traditional schooling. Combined with the long hours of 9AM - 8PM Monday - Saturday, I learned so much so quickly, and was able to apply the learnings immediately. One of the best aspects of the program in my opinion is the section on writing better resumes. I found it immensely helpful. It clarified for me what was important, what was unnecessary, and more importantly gave me a good formula for better resumes. Post-graduation, the job search support I received was absolutely top notch. The outcomes team told me exactly what I needed to hear to stay motivated, to avoid imposter syndrome, to keep applying, and to stay organized and on top of my interviews. They were extremely transparent with aggregate previous student outcomes, like average number of jobs applied before offer, average number of technical interviews, on-sites, etc. And that again set the tone that the market is huge, and through perseverance, I WILL land a job. Most importantly for me, they demystified and simplified the job search process to a math problem: x% of applications gets to a phone screen, y% of phone screens get to an on-site, z% of on-site interviews lead to an offer. Or the other way to think about it: assuming one is just as likely as any other candidate to get a job, and there are x average applicants per job opening, then an average applicant needs to apply to at least x jobs to receive an offer, on average. One of the amazing services the outcomes team provided was helping us and consistently reminding us to keep track of every single application, phone screen, and interview through a work tracker. This helped me stay organized, and helped me to continue working even when I felt like stopping because I hadn’t done enough that day. One of the outcomes team members, Marlene, also helped me navigate the negotiation process. She was completely amazing. Armed with the knowledge of thousands of other offers and industry norms, Marlene helped me understand what was likely, what was reasonable, and that it never hurts to ask for more. She helped me get a lot more than my initial offers. During my second job search Marlene continued to help me, acting as the Alumni Director. She helped me navigate the simultaneous job search process as well as multiple offer negotiation process. She’s so knowledgeable and experienced, I don’t even know how to talk about it.

• Stephen • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated summa cum laude from a top 20 US university and am a former management consultant. College was great. Hack Reactor was amazing. I learned so much in so little time, and took away more than content - Hack Reactor (re)taught me how to learn, and left me with new expectations for my own grit and growth mindset. And while my outcomes were unusually strong, I'm not the only one who's ended up with several offers from top Silicon Valley companies (Google, Lyft, Yelp, others) 8 months after writing their first line of code.

• Alumni Director
    - 6/13/2019
    Michael DeLucco • Technical Partner Manager • Graduate

The alumni community is fantastic, and Alumni Director Marlene in particluar is amazing! I would recommend this program to anyone!

• Hack Reactor FTW
    - 6/12/2019
    Zachary Lopez • Engineering Lead • Student

I attended Hack Reactor in SF in 2015. It's proven to be one of the most beneficial and impactful decisions that I have made in my life. During the course, I received incredible opportunities to learn at a pace that exceeds most workplaces. What was most special to me is the care I received by Marlene, Career Coach, during the second half of course. She was there to provide me critical feedback and help me through the job search.

Post Hack Reactor, during job search 2, I reached back out to Marlene to see what help she could provide as Alumni Director. She was swift to ask for and critique my resume. Then she went to work using the Hack Reactor network to help me find roles and people to talk to. She even provided advice about comp and negotiation that I wasn't expecting.

Overall, Hack Reactor was a wonderful experience. I met some great friends, and gained invaluable contacts for the journey ahead.

• Huy Truong • Student

Hack Reactor was a great overall experience! I learned a lot about full stack development and made a lot of potentially life-long friends from my cohort.

The curriculum: I thought this was very well designed to enable the students an opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the world of full stack web development. One important note is that the technical mentors work hard to ensure the curriculum is up to date so when you finish, your skills won't be obsolete! This is very important when you start job searching after you've finished the boot camp. I was very impressed as most of what we learned was usually listed on the job description.

Job support: finishing the boot camp is only half the battle. I was and still am very grateful for the support I received from my career coach (shout out to L!). You could set up a weekly check-in with your career coach to go over what worked and what didn't as well as support and advice on salary negotiation. Your cohort is also encouraged to create groups and meet however many times weekly to help support and keep each other accountable.

A disclaimer: Your effort largely determines how enjoyable and successful the immersive will be for you. The harder you work and immerse yourself, the bigger the ROI will be on this investment.

Thanks to all the HR staff and cohort-mates for a very enjoyable and memorable experience!

• Joseph An • Graduate

My experience at Hack Reactor was exceptional. The curriculum was immersive and challenging, while the community of like-minded individuals fostered an environment for collaborative learning and growth. It is a rigorous program, requiring some level of grit and above all, challenged me to think like an engineer. HR is not a traditional classroom-set course (although there are lectures here and there), but is much more hands-on, with you learning through the application of concepts as well as trial-and-error. For me, this method of learning was critical to my growth as a developer. Ultimately, HR provided a strong foundation that prepared me for entering the industry.

• Patrick Doyle • Software Engineer • Graduate

Let me start by saying that this was one of the biggest and scariest decisions I've made in my life! Now that I have that out of the way, I also want to say that this was also one of the best decisions I've made in my life. My experience throughout the program was nothing short of exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. I don't think there is anyone there or anyone that has gone through the program that wouldn't tell you that it requires mental fortitude to take the leap of faith and push yourself towards you goal of becoming a software engineer. One of the wonderful things about Hack Reactor is that, that fortitude is fostered in amazing ways. The sense of community that is developed with not only the other students but also the staff is something that you don't often find in most educational settings.
    I, for one, was coming from an unfulfilling job and was looking for a way to change my life for the better. I had been teaching myself coding on the side as a hobby and began to get a little more serious about it when my wife really started pushing me towards it more seriously. I went through the same process as everyone else (including you right now) and read what felt like a million different reviews on countless different programs. Hack Reactor stood out to me for several reasons but it was the consistent reviews of the overall program and the support afterwards that really sold me.
    When I first started I was incredibly nervous and felt like all of my classmates were lightyears ahead of me, but I am almost positive everyone has the same initial feelings. The staff is there immediately to help even before the program actually starts. From start to finish you're never alone in your learning adventure. A lot of the learning will be spent doing research on your own, but that's what its like in the real world as well, so don't worry. And if you're ever truly stuck, help is almost immediately available for you thanks to the very knowledgable staff and even your other classmates.
    I know all this sounds like sunshine and rainbows, and for the most part it is- now that I'm looking back on it. This is a serious program for serious people who are willing to commit themselves completely to achieving a goal of changing their lives. It will be hard. You will feel overwhelmed. You will, at times, feel a lot of self-doubt. But if you start down this path, you will not be alone and will achieve a sense of self-satisfaction that is second to none.

• Drew Curtis • Software Engineer • Graduate

It's not easy to quit your job, spend a large portion of your past 3 years of savings, and then commit all of your time for a chance to succeed as a software engineer. It also wasn't comforting that I often felt behind when I joined the program. For moments, I had the looming cloud of fear and regret when I couldn't complete a project or I performed poorly on an assessment. Despite all the fear, if you are a passionate individual who has a strong work ethic and is willing to commit 100% of your time for at least 6 months with no back-up or fail safe options then I know you'll succeed. If you will work together with your fellow students then not only will you all succeed together but you'll create friendships for life.

TLDR I was able to land 5 software engineer job offers from mid to large companies after 7 weeks of actively looking. I'm very happy where I am and excited about the future. My advice to anyone reading this is don't be complacent. If your current path is not uphill then you are going the wrong way. This program is a killer hill, approach with caution but the view from on top is rewarding.

• Ronny Woods • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was impressed with Hack Reactor from the very beginning of the enrollment process, which was pretty rigorous.  They clearly spend a lot of time and effort to make sure that each cohort is filled with highly capable people, and it shows.  I was impressed by the pace we were able to keep, and I learned a ton from working with a really interesting and talented group of people.  I was in the remote program, where cohort size was around 20 people; I thought this was just the right amount to ensure we were able to build a strong community and each receive the proper support from one another and from the staff.

No major complaints about the program...it isn't cheap, but I think a worthwhile investment if you're looking to 'up-skill' very, very quickly and you have the means to make the investment (of time and money).

• Cole Michaels • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate

Hack Reactor, I feel, best models the real world of Software Engineering because you are thrown in and left to largely fend for yourself. This shouldn’t come as a discouragement to those on the fence - I believe many I see in Software and my own abilities are always best improved with little interference. Although during my time at Hack Reactor we worked only in JavaScript, the focus of the curriculum is put on how a program is structured, the idea behind writing quality code as opposed to being focused on how to write specific code in a specific language. You will be able to take patterns and models learned from this course and break into any direction you desire with enough curiosity and conscientiousness.

• Steven Michael Turnbull • Software Engineer • Graduate

Pros -
    You learn a lot in a short amount of time.
    You are a part of another family that you bond with and rely on.
    Mentors love working there and want to see you succeed.

Cons -
    I can't say anything bad about my experience at Hack Reactor. It provided the perfect knowledge to become a Software Engineer

• James Verch • Software Development Engineer • Student

I have been at Hack Reactor both as a student and as a staff (Hacker in Residence), and after having seen the program from multiple angles, I can confidently say that this is a fantastic place to become a software engineer.

As a student, I had an incredible experience. The curriculum is fantastic. It's very obvious that a large amount of thought and effort went into the lectures and assignments, and the program even uses learning techniques found in teaching literature (i.e. spaced repetition and allowing students to struggle with problems rather than giving answers). Also, the Hack Reactor culture and community is amazing, which made it very easy to meet new people to network with, study with, and even become friends with.

As a staff, I was always blown away by how much everyone cared. They were there with the intention of helping people become software engineers, and would go above and beyond to try and make that happen. They don't work at Hack Reactor because it's a job, they work there because they want to make a difference in people's lives.

I was also there during the transition to Hack Reactor @ Galvanize, having been there both at the old building and the new one at 44 Tehama. There were a few bumps during the transition (lots of stuff had to be moved, furniture had to be rearranged, etc.), but at the end of it all, things turned out great! Galvanize provides lots of opportunities to network with people (there are lots of hosted events, and people working there who are from outside Hack Reactor). Also, Galvanize has a lot more amenities than the old Hack Reactor building, which makes it nice to spend time here as a student and also afterwards, during the job search.

I would highly recommend Hack Reactor to anyone who wants to get into software engineering.

• Great course
    - 12/12/2018
    Peter • Student

Having taken two online courses I feel very confident in saying that Hack React was a good choice, which is not something I will say about the other online bootcamp I took.  Hack React prepared me incredibly well technically as well as preparing me through the pair programming and group project course design.  When I finished the course I was admittedly very concerned about my abilities but when I landed a job (which was introduced to me directly through the alumni network) I quickly found I was fully prepared for this career path.  I fully recommend Hack Reactor to anyone looking to enter this field.

• Jaime Mendoza • Software Engineer • Graduate

So let me give you some context. Before attending Hack Reactor in 2017, I was unemployed for an extended period of time. And before then, I was employed in a job that wasn't satisfying. During my employed tenure, I was doing simple HTML and CSS copy pasting, but I knew I could do better and wanted to take my game to the next level. So I left my job and for the next few years, I tried learning software engineering all on my own.

I learned a lot by myself because I have that tenacious growth mindset, but it wasn't enough. While I learned bits and pieces here and there, I didn't have the high level overview and understanding of how you build a piece of software both from the frontend and the backend.

So I made the decision to attend Hack Reactor. I felt that by applying, I could actually get to the next phase of my career, up my skillset, and be better prepared in the job search.

There's no secret to the tech stack that they teach you at Hack Reactor and you could probably get the same info without having to attend. BUT... getting accepted and going through the program is one of the most valuable and rewarding experiences because for 13+ intensive weeks:

-You're learning about software engineering and computer science fundamentals by implementing full stack applications using JavaScript and Node.js;

-You get a higher level understanding of building full stack applications (both the front and backend);

-Get a great baseline for computer science fundamentals;

-Build a portfolio of projects you can showcase to future employers; and

-Learn the soft skills of partner and team collaboration.

One thing I never took for granted are the 36-hour sprints where we're required to learn a new technology or computer science concept on the fly without any prior training or experience.

As a Hack Reactor graduate, we're trained to learn new skills and technologies in a pressurized and time sensitive environment to the point it develops into a growth and learning mindset. Once you graduate, that mindset never leaves you and only serves you well in the job search and later in your career.

After graduating Hack Reactor, the job search is the HARDEST thing you'll ever do. It's a long and arduous process filled with studying, filling applications, getting rejected, learning from your rejections/mistakes, and passing the coding challenges and interviews before you get an offer.

Everyone's job search is different, but I was lucky enough to leverage the wonderful and amazing career counseling services Hack Reactor has to offer post graduation. My outcomes coach deserves special praise and lots of credit for teaching me to be methodical and tenacious about my job search, as well as being a good friend for all the rejections that almost resulted in a job offer.

And the alumni community is nothing short of supportive and caring. All you have to do is ask for help, and somebody is always willing to answer your question or give you a heads up about a job opportunity at their current company.

Looking back on my time and what I can look forward to in my career, I can honestly say that attending Hack Reactor was one of the best decisions I ever made, and I'd do it again.

• Spencer Vaterlaus • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate

I moved to Austin just to attend Hack Reactor (HR) and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Before HR I had few job prospects, little money, and no college degree; now I'm doing work that a truly enjoy, making much more money than I need, and... still don't have a college degree. 😜

The program is hectic and difficult, especially when you're so poor that you have to live in the cheapest part of town, cook almost all your own food, and take the bus everyday. But the leadership there and the other students were fantastic; it was amazing being surrounded by so many smart, dedicated, and encouraging people. Although almost all my time was spent there those 3 months, it all flew by way too fast.

Although the program itself was difficult, the hardest part was the job search. Don't think that people are going to be offering you work just because you graduated a bootcamp. It took me nearly 6 months just to get a solid 2-month contract (which has now turned into full-time work) and I only got that contract because I had a great referral from another HR grad at the company. The whole search was emotionally exhausting and I wouldn't have been able to sustain it for that long if I hadn't had some part-time work that could help to pay the bills; make sure you have a backup plan.

If you don't love programming, don't do HR. Learn the basics, figure out if it's something you'll enjoy first, then go apply. I was rejected on my first attempt at passing the coding interview, but after attending the Structured Study Program (SSP) I tried again and aced it. But if you do love programming and want the ultimate crash course in web development, you can't go wrong with Hack Reactor... even if you don't have a college degree. I spent so long hoping that there was decent work out there that I could really enjoy doing (without 4 years of college and debt) and Hack Reactor has helped make that dream a reality.

Thank you, Hack Reactor! Keep up the amazing work of changing lives and supporting the tech industry!

• Great Program
    - 9/24/2018
    Sam Shih • Front End Engineer • Graduate

The staff are outstanding. The program is high accountability and high transparency. It's very conducive to people who feel initially out of place trying to cross over into the coding world. If you pay attention and lock into the program, the chances of you making it as a software engineer are very high, I believe. Would definitely recommend!

• John Webb • Software Engineer 1 • Graduate

Awesome program. Great staff.  Very friendly and willing to help with anything. Instructors always challenged us to try the latest technology, and did a great job of guiding us to a solution without just telling us. Got hired a few weeks after graduation, and formed some great memories with all my classmates.

Advice: I did the remote advanced software engineering immersive. This is a very fast paced course that is 11 hours a day 6 days a week for 12 weeks. Well worth it, and very demanding. Make sure you can dedicate the time to this course.

Remote: Great if you don't live in a state with a Hack Reactor campus. Same challenging material. You are in a video conference with someone for most of the day (The entire class, or your coding pair). Lots of interaction with teachers. I definitely recommend it.

First Six Weeks: Mainly learning the modern tech stack. Every two days was a new piece of technology. Lightning fast pace. It was a jolt in the beginning, but definitely keep with it. Well worth the effort. Amazed how much I had learned.

Last Six Weeks: Multiple longer projects that encourage going from start to finish of building a website. Easily the most valuable part of the course. Learning to code effectively as a group is critical at my job, and Hack Reactor did a great job preparing me for it.

Outcomes: Awesome support. Mock technical interview, resume support, etc. Consistently every week checked in on my job search, and were happy to work out a time to meet if I needed it. Definitely listen to their advice. They know what the current job market is like, and how to approach it.

Results: Going into the program with some programming experience (personal projects), I graduated, and got hired within 4 weeks of graduating. Really happy with my investment.

• John Mastro • Data Engineer • Graduate

I attended Hack Reactor Los Angeles as part of the HRLA22 cohort starting in April 2018. The tl;dr is that I’m happy to give Hack Reactor a 5-star review: it worked out for me exactly as I’d hoped. I learned a lot, had a lot of fun, built friendships and professional relationships with an excellent group of people, and landed a well-compensated job I’m excited about.

About me: I’d been programming for several years before Hack Reactor, mostly in Python and SQL, which made me one of the more experienced people in my cohort. However, I didn’t have a CS degree, any engineering roles on my resume, or any professional network of engineers to speak of. I’d wanted to make the career transition for a while but hadn’t pulled it off. Before deciding to go to Hack Reactor I’d been taking classes in the evening towards a CS degree, but frankly I was impatient and wanted results faster. (I’d only taken a couple math classes and one CS class before making the jump, so I would have had at least a couple years left on the college route).

About the team at Hack Reactor: Everyone I interacted with regularly at Hack Reactor (Campus Lead, Tech Mentors, Hackers-in-Residence, Career Coach, Class Coordinator, etc.) was great. Smart, knowledgeable, friendly, and truly interested in everyone’s success. They’ve done a great job putting together a team.

About my cohort-mates: I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people with whom to attend Hack Reactor. Everyone was excited about engineering, willing to work hard, and easy to spend the long hours with. We’ve kept in touch after graduation and hopefully will continue to do so.

About the curriculum: It’s definitely “drinking from a firehose”, but that’s kinda the point. I thought the lectures were generally excellent and found the whiteboarding practice especially helpful. The project-oriented system really pushes you to learn-by-doing and practice solving problems autonomously.

About career week: I got a lot out of career week; more than I expected to. The discussions on interviewing, negotiating, etc. were all very helpful. The improvement to my resume after feedback from the Career Coach, Tech Mentors, and my peers was remarkable: I hadn’t realized how ineffective my pre-Hack Reactor resume was (not to mention all the things I was able to add from Hack Reactor’s curriculum).

About the job hunt: I accepted a contract-to-hire offer at a salary I’d previously worried might be somewhat unrealistic (low six figures) a week and a half after graduation. Even apart from the money, it’s a job and a company I’m really excited about. And the job was a referral from Hack Reactor (the company is one of their recruiting partners), so they get even more credit for making it possible. I went to our Career Coach for advice several times during the application process, and she was always responsive and helpful.

Of course, it wasn’t 13 weeks of pure bliss: It’s long hours and hard work, and there were moments when I was frustrated, overwhelmed, bored, or questioned whether I’d made the right decision by going. But comparing where I was at the beginning of April to where I am now (4 months later), or where I’d be if I’d continued taking night classes, it was clearly the right thing for me.

All in all, my experience was exactly what I’d hoped for: I learned a lot, had a lot of fun, built friendships and professional relationships with an excellent group of people, and landed a well-compensated job I’m excited about.

• Ryan Morrow • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before I attended Hack Reactor, I had spent four years as a baker. I made a living, but it wasn't really where I'd meant to end up, and I wasn't sure where to go as someone with only years-old, rudimentary experience in any other field. It was hard to imagine what job would take me, or what school would give me a chance, but Hack Reactor was a great fit for me. I attended the remote program, which made the intense hours a lot easier to handle.
    If you consider attending Hack Reactor, know that it's, as they say, "like drinking from a fire hose". It's a lot to take in, and at times I (and everyone else) became convinced that I wasn't learning anything, or that I wasn't cut out for the work. For 12 weeks, my whole life revolved around web development and the software industry. In half that time, I got taken from learning basic data structures to sitting down and coding a full stack application from scratch in a matter of hours, using a modern and popular JavaScript framework. That was the moment where I couldn't believe how far I'd come. The whole second half of the course was refining the skills I'd learned through self-driven projects, which was a great preparation for the unpredictable and hectic nature of the industry. The course teaches you technical concepts that you could learn elsewhere, but more importantly, it teaches you a mentality you'll need to make your way as an engineer. The ability to embrace pressure, failure, discomfort, and disagreements with your coworkers, and persevere dealing with problems you feel totally clueless about. It also gives you access to a team of kind, smart, and talented people who more than anything want you to succeed. Every peer I worked with was talented as well, and the focus on pair programming and group projects meant that I wasn't allowed to hide in my corner and try to do things in a safe, controlled way. Articulating my ideas and seeing other peoples' approaches, though difficult, were crucial aspects to my growth.
    The biggest shoutout I can give is to their outcomes strategy. Occasional guidance meetings and lectures on the job market led up into a full week on online presence, negotiation tactics, mock interviews--everything I needed to feel ready for an on site interview. I'm not good at marketing myself or coding under pressure, but after graduation, the constant contact with their alumni network and outcomes team kept me pushing myself and adapting my job search until I found a great fit for me. In under half a year, I completely changed my career and work mentality, and I've never been happier to make a living. Job search guidance is the biggest reason I wanted to try a boot camp, and Hack Reactor didn't let me down.

• Adrian Meza • Software Developer • Student

Hi,

Although the course is 3 months, I will highlight my process that all in all encompassed about a year. Formerly a high school teacher in Computer Science (CS), I saved up money (Step 1) and made the switch at the end of 2017 academic calendar for schools. I studied for approximately 2-3 months (Step 2) through Hack Reactor's SSP program where I could ping a Teaching Assistant (TA) during class hours and we would Zoom video chat instantly over a CS concept. Hack Reactor requires a 20% level of knowledge before Day 1, hence this studying was super helpful and useful with a TA. Next, I enrolled in the program for 3 months (Step 3) and made an effort to apply as a TA once I finished (Optional Step). I was a TA for 3 more months and teaching content helped solidify my understanding and practice explaining concepts, which was very helpful practice for my job interviews. Next, alumni services at Hack Reactor give you a helpful route to navigate the job hunt (Step 5) and I found a job 1.5 months after graduation. I ended up having 3 offers across 3 different states and came up a tad short for arguably the biggest tech company out there. This program isn't for everyone as you have to dedicate a significant amount of time and energy to the learning, but you get out what you put in and the job placement rates stand as a testament for Hack Reactor. Looking back, I was a high school teacher a year ago and post Hack Reactor I've garnered a great skill set in CS for a switch into the software industry.

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read. I can always answer more questions through LinkedIn messaging or ask for my personal email there.

AM

• Sally • Software Engineer • Graduate

I studied Finance in undergrad, but fell in love with computer science when I took my first programming course called Financial Engineering. I first learned about Coding Bootcamps back in 2015 and finally made the decision to go in 2017. During those two years, I studied on the weekends, researched my options and saved up for 9 months of unemployment (3 month immersive + 6 months of runway for the job search). When it came down to choosing a bootcamp, I was between App Academy and Hack Reactor. I ultimately chose Hack Reactor for one reason: I met somebody with a very similar background to me (same degree in Finance from the same University) and his testimony gave me the comfort I needed. At the end of the day, there are many outstanding bootcamps (Hack Reactor, AA, Rithm, GA, etc...), but success in these programs, in my opinion, will ultimately come down to your grit and interest in the subject matter.

There are three things I loved about Hack Reactor: 1) Attention to student development 2) Method of teaching 3) Relevance of curriculum

Every cohort will comprise of students with varying intellects and backgrounds. I had 10 cohort mates who had just graduated with a computer science degree from a four year university and others who taught 6th grade math and drilled into eyeballs. Every single one of these students got jobs. Regardless of your background, when it comes to succeeding in the program, you must be proactive in asking for help. I started off knowing a lot less than many of my cohort mates. I had to compensate by consistently and proactively asking for help by either scheduling 1:1 sessions with my Tech Mentor or connecting with other cohort mates after hours for further instruction. Hack Reactor's Tech Mentor team is truly unique and represent the proprietary value the bootcamp offers. These are former students who have mastered the curriculum and can teach it to you like you were a 3 year old kid. They've been in your shoes and they're patient. I can't speak for the current group of Tech Mentors, but while I was there, they were the shoulder that many of the students leaned on.

This bridges into my second point: Hack Reactor teaches you how to learn. After several iterations of bothering the kid next to you, you'll realize you can't keep bombarding people with questions every time you're stuck. You learn to work through bugs by yourself and with your partner before raising any alarms. I learned how to learn again at Hack Reactor and although I felt like there could be more structure at times, I also feel like I wouldn't have honed my learning abilities without that particular ratio of instruction to 'greenfield'.

Lastly, the curriculum lead (Fred-ness) works very hard to iterate over the current curriculum every 6 weeks to ensure that they cover relevant material. I was hired on to be a 'Hacker In Residence' directly after my graduation so I stayed onboard for another 3 months and over the course of 6 months, 4 cohorts, I saw the curriculum change every time. The Thesis involved a microservice backend that would impress any fullstack employer. New sprints building mini-apps. 'Expired' sprints were taken out. By the time I left, the graduating class had a toolbox ready to kill any interview (so long as you put in the work).

Hack Reactor isn't perfect, but no bootcamp is. It's a relatively new industry servicing hundreds of new students every 6 weeks (in SF alone). I wasn't the smartest kid in the room so I compensated by putting in the hours. I came in at 9am and left around 12am everyday, Monday to Saturday. It was normal for me to close up the school and that was okay because I had students there with me, grinding and studying. The camaraderie was real and the environment is truly unique.

I was able to turn my life around in 3-6 months for a fraction of what I paid for college. I got multiple offers before finishing my Hacker In Residence program. I love what I do and for 3 months of hell, it was worth it.

• Tim JN • Graduate

If you're absolutely sure that you want to eat, breathe, and live code then this can be the right decision for you. Anything less than this and your risk factor will be higher. Honestly, this may not be the right decision for some people. But for those who are really sure what they want to do and are passionate about it and willing to work hard, it can very well be the right decision.

Pros:
    -A new journey
    -Coding is exciting (for some at least)
    -Learning is always fun
    -Challenging in a way that makes you grow

Cons:
    -Very expensive
    -Huge commitment
    -Hard
    -May not be enough time to absorb everything
    -Very demanding
    -Nothing is guaranteed

• Worth the effort
    - 5/21/2018
    Karolee • Graduate

Hack Reactor's program is very intensive but worth the challenge. To succeed you should plan on this program being your whole life while you are attending. That's not to say you won't enjoy your time there. Every day introduces new challenges and new things to learn. The environment encourages a sense of community within your cohort. They have a great staff that cares about your success. After completing the program you will continue to receive support and assistance from their staff. If you embrace the program and everything they have to offer, it will set you up to succeed.

• Aprianto Wiwarsono • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

My decision to attend Hack Reactor was something that I would gladly make again. It prepared me really well to start contributing to my new role as a Software Engineer. The programme itself wasn't easy. It doesn't spoonfeed you if that's what you are looking for. The path is prepared, and it is entirely up to you to work hard and be successful. One thing that made it easier for me is that the mentors and coordinators are all very approachable and always motivating.

Now that you have decided to attend Hack Reactor make sure that you are prepared for it. Be comfortable with JavaScript and general programming at least. Practice some coding challenges, which you can find online through Leetcode, Codewars, etc. If you have more time to prepare, try to look at some framework or tools that you are interested in. Also, be very sure that you can commit 3 months of your life to Hack Reactor. The last thing you want is to start HR and have to do something else.

Hopefully, I managed to convince you to attend Hack Reactor. If you want to know more or have a specific question, feel free to reach out to me.

• Patrick • Student

I'll preface by saying Hack Reactor is not for the faint of heart. I truly believe anyone can do it - but not everybody will. Some people will not have the right attitude, drive, and determination to do what needs to be done to complete the program successfully.  That being said, if you decide you want to do it and that there's nothing that can stop you, nothing will.

I did Hack Reactor after investigating a bunch of bootcamps.  I decided on Hack Reactor due to their focus on people as whole software engineers instead of just as coders. I am more than happy with my decision. I was hired on as a TA after the program. During my time at Hack Reactor I've watched the curriculum grow in ways other bootcamps have not. It is really the best program available.

The only advice I'd give my younger pre-Hack Reactor self is do more studying before the program. Take some only CS classes from Harvard, MIT, or Stanford (they're all available online for free). Get a better solid foundation on which to build your CS knowledge. Other than that, I wouldn't have done anything differently.