galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Fort Collins, London, Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.46

all (178) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (77) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, SQL, Python
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner with SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, as per contract
    ScholarshipWe offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Prep WorkTake Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Python Fundamentals

Data Science, Python
    LocationDenver, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle, Boulder
    Python Fundamentals covers the building blocks of Python, including the basic programming skills individuals within the tech field use every day. Python can be applied in a variety of fields including data science. With the number of job postings featuring Python steadily growing, there is no better time to learn this versatile language.
    Refund / Guarantee100% of your tuition for this part-time course will be applied as a discount to our Data Science Immersive.
    Minimum Skill LevelDesire to learn.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced Beginner
  • Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Received a bachelor degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering from University of Texas and then served in the Marine Corps for 13 years.  Decided to end my career in the Marine Corps and pursue a new career in Software Engineering/Data Science.  While waiting to separate from the military was introduced to the concept of boot camps in software engineering and based on the reviews of course report and recommendations from others attended Skill DIstillery in Denver, Colorado and The Coding Dojo's online course.  With this training I was able to get my first job as a software engineer at the Washington Post.  While working as an engineer at the Post it was apparent that Software Engineering and Data Science are equally important.  Though I could have attempted to learn Data Science over time while working, I decided to accelerate exposure to this new field by pursuing a master's degree in Data Analytics Engineering and attend Galvanize's Data Science Immersive (DSI).  Over the course of two years I have applied to Galvanize's Data Science course twice (first time in San Francisco, and second time was for remote) passing both technical interviews the first time.  However multiple factors are preventing attendance including the overlap of their courses with the fall and spring semester of  college academic year and funding.  The first time I applied and was accepted and got a scholarship for military veterans covering tuition however no funding for housing leaving me to figure out how to pay $3,000 a month while attending the DSI full time.  Second time around, I decided to attend the remote DSI and was accepted, unfortunately no more scholarships for military veterans, and getting an additional loan as a graduate student also wasn't possible.  My budget is already limited as a full time graduate student so finding this out six months after paying for the prep course and deposit that I was not going to secure funding was a bit of a disappointment.  I was recently emailed a newsletter from Galvanize about an "Opportunity Fund" that will provide financial support for Black Americans so that they can attend their Software Engineering and Data Science courses.  My response to Galvanize is this, as a Marine Corps Veteran, black American, and software engineer if you can't figure out how to get me funding for the DSI in a way that does not force me to stop or delay other academic commitments I would urge you to consider if you are helping the black community or providing lip service like many other Americans on the BLM bandwagon.
  • Justin Ho  User Photo
    Justin Ho • Marketing Science Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I was part of the January Cohort for Data Science in Galvanize NY for 2019.

During my time at Galvanize, I found the program itself to be intensive. Everyday, I learned lots of applicable ML models for production. For our assignments, we would have to write out how the algorithm really works. Even though most of the time I didn't end up finishing the assignment, the struggle was what made my experience worth it. The fact that I didn't know the answer, made me want to learn more.  Depending on how good your coding skills, you might fall behind, but the pair programming experience does help.

In terms of job prospects, I was able to speak to my career services manager every week until I found a job. The journey, like any other bootcamp experience, is extremely hard. You will be applying and networking as a full time job. At some points, you wish that you went for that master's degree, but at the end of the day, you do receive many opportunities to get that data scientist job. Companies and recruiters do take a look at your resume loaded with real world projects.

• Albert Lee  User Photo
    Albert Lee • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Thanks for galvanize let me to get a job in the state, without the instructor  and the career supportor I probally be a cashier in warmart  or target

感謝Galvanize改變我一生,強力推薦!

• Best Network!
    - 9/9/2019
    Keatra Nesbitt  User Photo
    Keatra Nesbitt • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about the DS program  at Galvanize through an alum and was immediately interested. I was looking to change careers but was not committed to a master’s program. I heard that Galvanize had a great Data Science program and an even better alumni network (which let’s be honest is the reason we want to choose a school - popularity).

What I like about the DS Program at Galvanize     is that you learn from really smart instructors who have a lot of industry experience. They know what they are talking about!! Having a program that is relevant and current on industry trends is super important. I also liked that there were multiple projects and case studies throughout the program. The projects allowed me to explore my own interests and at the same time show off skills that I learned. The case studies were really useful to see how Data Science and business interact. We learned how important it is to make your Data Science results interesting and understandable to stakeholders who may not know any technical details.

The things that you have to be ready for in this program is the amount of information that you will learn and be accountable to understand in a short amount of time. The days are long but the weeks go by fast. You must be ready for a new challenge every day and stay confident in your ability to problem solve. The lectures are a general guideline but not always direct instructions on how to do the assignments. Thus you have to be self-motivated and willing to keep digging when you get stuck.

Since graduation I have met with my career advisor almost weekly, have had multiple meetings with employees, HR managers, recruiters, and even senior management at start-ups and big companies. I am constantly meeting more people and make connections. So if you want to you learn about Data Science, complete projects of your own, and have access to a network on people then join the Galvanize family!!

• Austin  User Photo
    Austin • Cognitive Consultant @ IBM • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm going to keep this review short, sweet, and to-the-point. Galvanize (Seattle) was an amazing experience for me, and, below, I've listed why.

1) The professors:

I cannot stress this enough. Galvanize Seattle has some of the best teaching instructors I've had in all my years of education. They have an uncanny ability to make complex mathematics easy to understand - an invaluable resource in any data science curriculum. Additionally, one look at their academic and industry background (Microsoft, Allstate, PhD, etc.), and you can be confident that they know what they're talking about.

Having great professors was particularly important for me because I had graduated college a year before taking this class with a degree in Entrepreneurship (yes, that's a degree!). So, as you can imagine, I didn't have a great deal of stats, programming, or math knowledge from college. Most of what I learned came from self-studying for 5 months before applying to Galvanize, and the rest came from taking the Data Science Immersive. I say all of this because, if the reader is in a similar situation, I want them to know that getting into the program and succeeding is beyond achievable - it will just take a healthy dose of effort and discipline, but you can do that! On the other hand, there were students with Masters and Ph.D.'s in my cohort, so the class is by no means all recent graduates.

2) The community:

First, the data science community. This is one of the aspects I loved most about Galvanize. Most of the students were really there to learn as much as possible and were invested in the material. This is HUGE for a productive learning environment. In fact, we have a group chat that is still considerably active for a cohort who graduated 5 months ago. This may sound like it's not a big deal, but having a support network to ask data science questions to and share machine learning blog posts is a game changer.

PRO TIP!!! After graduation, myself and a couple fellow graduates competed in a couple data science hackathons and won! This led to interviews and job offers for myself and others. In fact, I've heard that we started a movement and that subsequent cohorts have followed suit. So, no matter which bootcamp/school you choose, do hackathons!

Lastly, the Seattle Galvanize community itself is amazing. Between the community manager, career services team, events team, and receptionists, you'll never be more than 5 steps from having a great conversation with somebody.

• Jeremy  User Photo
    Jeremy • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Strong curriculum, knowledgeable and dedicated instructors, great career services. Daily problem solving mixed with theory and foundational skills. Knowing your stats, linear algebra, and Python going in will enhance your experience.

• Great program
    - 12/7/2018
    Scott Simontacchi  User Photo
    Scott Simontacchi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a long-time math teacher, I really appreciate the amount of thought and organization put into curriculum design and feel that it really helped us all to learn a huge amount in a short period of time.

The instructors are kind and brilliant, and the cohort was really on it. I looked at a lot of other boot camps, but was so pleasantly surprised to find just how strong and mature this program is.

Highly recommend!!

• Thomas Clukies  User Photo
    Thomas Clukies • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Galvanize was an incredible experience for me. The value of a 6-month in-person course is incredibly high in my opinion. Being help accountable for being there every day, 9-5, is a huge part of why I was successful in this journey. Also, being surrounded by a community of people who decided to take the same life leap as I did was also great. Immersing yourself in web-development everyday for 6 months is the best way to do it in my opinion. Not to mention you are also surrounded by resources and instructors that can help you get unstuck and teach along the way.

The style of instruction is great. There is a guided "curriculum" you have to work through to fulfill graduation requirements. But this was pretty much self-paced. Instructors keep an eye on who is keeping up and who is falling behind and offer instruction to those a little further behind in the coursework. There are regularly scheduled "break-outs" on concepts that students are struggling with and students can request these breakouts as well. The instructors are incredibly smart, helpful, and connected. They have a passion for helping students grow and learn and you can see this in their dedication and attitude.

The community feel and style of instruction is awesome at Galvanize. That being said, I believe they are moving away from this model in the recent deal with Hack Reactor. Having half (or more) of the course conducted online is a mistake in my opinion. Being there for 6 months straight and putting the rest of my life on hold was what made me successful. They also used to have open beer taps everyday after class which fostered a great community feel within the program, bringing together newer students, older students and employers within the building, but I think they have sadly moved away from this as well. It was a great experience for me, but I believe they are moving away from the system that I loved so much. :(

• Josh Levy  User Photo
    Josh Levy • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

For over five years, I was a very stereotypical struggling web developer. I worked brutally long hours every day, seven days a week, desperately trying to gain the skills and experience needed to take me to the next level in my career and help me get a job as a full stack web developer.

But despite my best efforts, I was stuck in this plateu that I couldn't get away from. I had heard about Galvanize, but kept telling myself that it was only for inexperienced or brand new developers, and something like that wouldn't add value for where I was. Eventually, I decided to shadow for a day to see what it was about. After sitting in one class, I was hooked.

Less than two weeks later, I started at Galvanize in April 2018. Nothing could've ever prepared me for the experience I embarked on. I learned more than I could've ever hoped for, as well as developed the closest, life-long friends and connections I have ever developed in my life.

Less than one month after graduating, I (along with two of my classmates and closest friends who had no prior programming experience) signed the offer letter to start at not just any development job, but my dream job. I am eternally grateful to everyone at Galvanize. And I couldn't possibly give it a higher recommendation. If you want to change course in life and take on web development, attending Galvanize is an absolute must.

• Life Changing
    - 11/8/2018
    George Chios  User Photo
    George Chios • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Intro:

I am a graduate from the Galvanize Denver (Platte) Web Development Immersive program. This program was life changing for me coming from Audio Engineering. We were led by Kyle Coberly for the first month of Galvanize and he inspired and set a good trajectory for our cohort.

Our curriculum is different from the cohorts following us. My cohort, g90, had a drill-based grading system where you had to complete the drills at an acceptable level to be passed. The new Learn curriculum is slightly different. It seems to be designed with an approach that is a lot more problem based with projects thrown in between. Both designs do what I feel is intended. Which is to give you a broad spectrum of knowledge on development. I do, however, prefer the drill based system.

This program is designed in a way that encourages, if not demands, you to work with others. We had many groups in our cohort that would get together and study everyday. Our success and experience in the program was definitely tied to working together.

With that said this program will not teach you in depth concepts. You must search that out yourself. Which is not a bad thing. It teaches you how to learn, and how to find information on your own or collaborate with others to find a solution. In the real world that's what you are going to be doing.

The Teachers/Staff:

The instructors in the program are very approachable. Every instructor has shaped me in some way and has gone out of their way to inspire me. They are driven and want to see you succeed.

Career services is something Galvanize offers. We worked with Chris and he gave us an amazing tool set to work with. From networking, to marketing ourselves, and interview advice, this alone made Galvanize worth it.

Closing:

This program was everything I wanted. I was able to work with many intelligent individuals in a fast paced environment. I learned how to better present myself to employers. As well as be inspired by the many friends I've made and the instructors and staff that surrounded me. This course definitely lived up to the expectation of an immersive program.

• Amazing Program
    - 10/18/2018
    Claudia Ligidakis  User Photo
    Claudia Ligidakis • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Galvanize was an incredible way to learn the in's and out's of Web Development. The community at the schools helped me stay motivated throughout the immersive program, and there was never a lack of support. The material was thorough and I graduated from the program feeling not only prepared for work, but also for interviewing. Career services are there to help with interview prep, leads and resume crafting.

• Josh Robbs  User Photo
    Josh Robbs • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from the Web Development Immersive at the Platte (Denver) Campus on October 5th, 2018. I am currently invterviewing for a React Developer position in downtown Denver.

The Web Development Immersive is a full-time, six-month educational program. With over 700 hours of coding, the Web Development Immersive teaches students how to create innovative, real-world applications using languages, frameworks, and computer science fundamentals.

The experience is very demanding and very rewarding. I learned many different technologies (Javascript, React, Vue, PostgreSQL, Express, Knex, Node). My capstone project was an IoT project that utilized a Raspberry Pi and an image processing library Tracking.js to count items in the refrigerator - technologies outside of the curriculum. I was prepared to take on these challenges thanks to the core of the Galvanize curriculum - learning to learn.

If you're ready for a career change - and you're ready to put in the work - this is the best coding bootcamp out there. I emphasize that this is a difficult program; it takes a lot of focus, self-motivation and grinding. If you're not 100% sure about this, I recommend waiting or finding something else.

I ultimately chose Galvanize over other bootcamps, because I felt that Galvanize's career services were worth the investment. Chris and Angela (Platte campus) are fantastic, and they have prepared me to find a job in the tech field. I am confident I will do well in my interview because of their tutelage.

I highly recommend Galvanize.