galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Fort Collins, London, Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.47

all (177) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (71) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Python, SQL
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner with SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, as per contract
    ScholarshipWe offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Prep WorkTake Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Python Fundamentals

Data Science, Python
    LocationDenver, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle, Boulder
    Python Fundamentals covers the building blocks of Python, including the basic programming skills individuals within the tech field use every day. Python can be applied in a variety of fields including data science. With the number of job postings featuring Python steadily growing, there is no better time to learn this versatile language.
    Refund / Guarantee100% of your tuition for this part-time course will be applied as a discount to our Data Science Immersive.
    Minimum Skill LevelDesire to learn.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, CSS, React.js, Front End
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced Beginner

• Justin Ho  User Photo
    Justin Ho • Marketing Science Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I was part of the January Cohort for Data Science in Galvanize NY for 2019.

During my time at Galvanize, I found the program itself to be intensive. Everyday, I learned lots of applicable ML models for production. For our assignments, we would have to write out how the algorithm really works. Even though most of the time I didn't end up finishing the assignment, the struggle was what made my experience worth it. The fact that I didn't know the answer, made me want to learn more.  Depending on how good your coding skills, you might fall behind, but the pair programming experience does help.

In terms of job prospects, I was able to speak to my career services manager every week until I found a job. The journey, like any other bootcamp experience, is extremely hard. You will be applying and networking as a full time job. At some points, you wish that you went for that master's degree, but at the end of the day, you do receive many opportunities to get that data scientist job. Companies and recruiters do take a look at your resume loaded with real world projects.

• Albert Lee  User Photo
    Albert Lee • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Thanks for galvanize let me to get a job in the state, without the instructor  and the career supportor I probally be a cashier in warmart  or target

感謝Galvanize改變我一生,強力推薦!

• Best Network!
    - 9/9/2019
    Keatra Nesbitt  User Photo
    Keatra Nesbitt • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about the DS program  at Galvanize through an alum and was immediately interested. I was looking to change careers but was not committed to a master’s program. I heard that Galvanize had a great Data Science program and an even better alumni network (which let’s be honest is the reason we want to choose a school - popularity).

What I like about the DS Program at Galvanize     is that you learn from really smart instructors who have a lot of industry experience. They know what they are talking about!! Having a program that is relevant and current on industry trends is super important. I also liked that there were multiple projects and case studies throughout the program. The projects allowed me to explore my own interests and at the same time show off skills that I learned. The case studies were really useful to see how Data Science and business interact. We learned how important it is to make your Data Science results interesting and understandable to stakeholders who may not know any technical details.

The things that you have to be ready for in this program is the amount of information that you will learn and be accountable to understand in a short amount of time. The days are long but the weeks go by fast. You must be ready for a new challenge every day and stay confident in your ability to problem solve. The lectures are a general guideline but not always direct instructions on how to do the assignments. Thus you have to be self-motivated and willing to keep digging when you get stuck.

Since graduation I have met with my career advisor almost weekly, have had multiple meetings with employees, HR managers, recruiters, and even senior management at start-ups and big companies. I am constantly meeting more people and make connections. So if you want to you learn about Data Science, complete projects of your own, and have access to a network on people then join the Galvanize family!!

• Austin  User Photo
    Austin • Cognitive Consultant @ IBM • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm going to keep this review short, sweet, and to-the-point. Galvanize (Seattle) was an amazing experience for me, and, below, I've listed why.

1) The professors:

I cannot stress this enough. Galvanize Seattle has some of the best teaching instructors I've had in all my years of education. They have an uncanny ability to make complex mathematics easy to understand - an invaluable resource in any data science curriculum. Additionally, one look at their academic and industry background (Microsoft, Allstate, PhD, etc.), and you can be confident that they know what they're talking about.

Having great professors was particularly important for me because I had graduated college a year before taking this class with a degree in Entrepreneurship (yes, that's a degree!). So, as you can imagine, I didn't have a great deal of stats, programming, or math knowledge from college. Most of what I learned came from self-studying for 5 months before applying to Galvanize, and the rest came from taking the Data Science Immersive. I say all of this because, if the reader is in a similar situation, I want them to know that getting into the program and succeeding is beyond achievable - it will just take a healthy dose of effort and discipline, but you can do that! On the other hand, there were students with Masters and Ph.D.'s in my cohort, so the class is by no means all recent graduates.

2) The community:

First, the data science community. This is one of the aspects I loved most about Galvanize. Most of the students were really there to learn as much as possible and were invested in the material. This is HUGE for a productive learning environment. In fact, we have a group chat that is still considerably active for a cohort who graduated 5 months ago. This may sound like it's not a big deal, but having a support network to ask data science questions to and share machine learning blog posts is a game changer.

PRO TIP!!! After graduation, myself and a couple fellow graduates competed in a couple data science hackathons and won! This led to interviews and job offers for myself and others. In fact, I've heard that we started a movement and that subsequent cohorts have followed suit. So, no matter which bootcamp/school you choose, do hackathons!

Lastly, the Seattle Galvanize community itself is amazing. Between the community manager, career services team, events team, and receptionists, you'll never be more than 5 steps from having a great conversation with somebody.

• Jeremy  User Photo
    Jeremy • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Strong curriculum, knowledgeable and dedicated instructors, great career services. Daily problem solving mixed with theory and foundational skills. Knowing your stats, linear algebra, and Python going in will enhance your experience.

• Great program
    - 12/7/2018
    Scott Simontacchi  User Photo
    Scott Simontacchi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a long-time math teacher, I really appreciate the amount of thought and organization put into curriculum design and feel that it really helped us all to learn a huge amount in a short period of time.

The instructors are kind and brilliant, and the cohort was really on it. I looked at a lot of other boot camps, but was so pleasantly surprised to find just how strong and mature this program is.

Highly recommend!!

• Thomas Clukies  User Photo
    Thomas Clukies • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Galvanize was an incredible experience for me. The value of a 6-month in-person course is incredibly high in my opinion. Being help accountable for being there every day, 9-5, is a huge part of why I was successful in this journey. Also, being surrounded by a community of people who decided to take the same life leap as I did was also great. Immersing yourself in web-development everyday for 6 months is the best way to do it in my opinion. Not to mention you are also surrounded by resources and instructors that can help you get unstuck and teach along the way.

The style of instruction is great. There is a guided "curriculum" you have to work through to fulfill graduation requirements. But this was pretty much self-paced. Instructors keep an eye on who is keeping up and who is falling behind and offer instruction to those a little further behind in the coursework. There are regularly scheduled "break-outs" on concepts that students are struggling with and students can request these breakouts as well. The instructors are incredibly smart, helpful, and connected. They have a passion for helping students grow and learn and you can see this in their dedication and attitude.

The community feel and style of instruction is awesome at Galvanize. That being said, I believe they are moving away from this model in the recent deal with Hack Reactor. Having half (or more) of the course conducted online is a mistake in my opinion. Being there for 6 months straight and putting the rest of my life on hold was what made me successful. They also used to have open beer taps everyday after class which fostered a great community feel within the program, bringing together newer students, older students and employers within the building, but I think they have sadly moved away from this as well. It was a great experience for me, but I believe they are moving away from the system that I loved so much. :(

• Josh Levy  User Photo
    Josh Levy • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

For over five years, I was a very stereotypical struggling web developer. I worked brutally long hours every day, seven days a week, desperately trying to gain the skills and experience needed to take me to the next level in my career and help me get a job as a full stack web developer.

But despite my best efforts, I was stuck in this plateu that I couldn't get away from. I had heard about Galvanize, but kept telling myself that it was only for inexperienced or brand new developers, and something like that wouldn't add value for where I was. Eventually, I decided to shadow for a day to see what it was about. After sitting in one class, I was hooked.

Less than two weeks later, I started at Galvanize in April 2018. Nothing could've ever prepared me for the experience I embarked on. I learned more than I could've ever hoped for, as well as developed the closest, life-long friends and connections I have ever developed in my life.

Less than one month after graduating, I (along with two of my classmates and closest friends who had no prior programming experience) signed the offer letter to start at not just any development job, but my dream job. I am eternally grateful to everyone at Galvanize. And I couldn't possibly give it a higher recommendation. If you want to change course in life and take on web development, attending Galvanize is an absolute must.

• Life Changing
    - 11/8/2018
    George Chios  User Photo
    George Chios • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Intro:

I am a graduate from the Galvanize Denver (Platte) Web Development Immersive program. This program was life changing for me coming from Audio Engineering. We were led by Kyle Coberly for the first month of Galvanize and he inspired and set a good trajectory for our cohort.

Our curriculum is different from the cohorts following us. My cohort, g90, had a drill-based grading system where you had to complete the drills at an acceptable level to be passed. The new Learn curriculum is slightly different. It seems to be designed with an approach that is a lot more problem based with projects thrown in between. Both designs do what I feel is intended. Which is to give you a broad spectrum of knowledge on development. I do, however, prefer the drill based system.

This program is designed in a way that encourages, if not demands, you to work with others. We had many groups in our cohort that would get together and study everyday. Our success and experience in the program was definitely tied to working together.

With that said this program will not teach you in depth concepts. You must search that out yourself. Which is not a bad thing. It teaches you how to learn, and how to find information on your own or collaborate with others to find a solution. In the real world that's what you are going to be doing.

The Teachers/Staff:

The instructors in the program are very approachable. Every instructor has shaped me in some way and has gone out of their way to inspire me. They are driven and want to see you succeed.

Career services is something Galvanize offers. We worked with Chris and he gave us an amazing tool set to work with. From networking, to marketing ourselves, and interview advice, this alone made Galvanize worth it.

Closing:

This program was everything I wanted. I was able to work with many intelligent individuals in a fast paced environment. I learned how to better present myself to employers. As well as be inspired by the many friends I've made and the instructors and staff that surrounded me. This course definitely lived up to the expectation of an immersive program.

• Amazing Program
    - 10/18/2018
    Claudia Ligidakis  User Photo
    Claudia Ligidakis • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Galvanize was an incredible way to learn the in's and out's of Web Development. The community at the schools helped me stay motivated throughout the immersive program, and there was never a lack of support. The material was thorough and I graduated from the program feeling not only prepared for work, but also for interviewing. Career services are there to help with interview prep, leads and resume crafting.

• Josh Robbs  User Photo
    Josh Robbs • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from the Web Development Immersive at the Platte (Denver) Campus on October 5th, 2018. I am currently invterviewing for a React Developer position in downtown Denver.

The Web Development Immersive is a full-time, six-month educational program. With over 700 hours of coding, the Web Development Immersive teaches students how to create innovative, real-world applications using languages, frameworks, and computer science fundamentals.

The experience is very demanding and very rewarding. I learned many different technologies (Javascript, React, Vue, PostgreSQL, Express, Knex, Node). My capstone project was an IoT project that utilized a Raspberry Pi and an image processing library Tracking.js to count items in the refrigerator - technologies outside of the curriculum. I was prepared to take on these challenges thanks to the core of the Galvanize curriculum - learning to learn.

If you're ready for a career change - and you're ready to put in the work - this is the best coding bootcamp out there. I emphasize that this is a difficult program; it takes a lot of focus, self-motivation and grinding. If you're not 100% sure about this, I recommend waiting or finding something else.

I ultimately chose Galvanize over other bootcamps, because I felt that Galvanize's career services were worth the investment. Chris and Angela (Platte campus) are fantastic, and they have prepared me to find a job in the tech field. I am confident I will do well in my interview because of their tutelage.

I highly recommend Galvanize.

• John S - Recent Galvanize Grad  User Photo
    John S - Recent Galvanize Grad • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My time at Galvanize was both fun, and very challenging. After completing the program, I received a job offer as a Software Developer at my top choice company within 3 weeks.

You can learn everything we learned at Galvanize in many other places, and you can even learn it on your own if you're dedicated enough. What you won't get anywhere else is the knowledge and help that a Career Services manager like Maria Montoya will bring. That knowledge, along with going to school in an tech start-up enviroment like Galvanize, will allow you to network and make connections that will make finding your first job much easier. If you continue to apply that knowledge while developing your programming skills, you'll always have a bright future in Software Development.

Maria builds relationships with hiring companies, giving us opportunities to meet/interview with them, which lead to several of us receiving job offers from those companies. While making your decision on which school to attend, make sure that school has a great Career Services program, along with networking opportunities, as they're the reason I'd still pick Galvanize Phoenix if I had to do it again.

• Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Student Verified via GitHub

I am a current student here in Denver and the product here sucks.  We've lost so many instructors to the point we are down to 6 instructors (for the last 15 weeks) for over 110 students.  At the worst point, we were down to 4 instructors when 2 of them took vacations.  Half of the instructors are resident instructors, which do not have enough experience to walk through coding questions without them asking for help themselves.  The queue for asking questions on coding blockers takes over 3 days to get a response.

The lead instructors stopped requiring us to complete all the course work due to the majority of students falling behind, further robbing us of coding experience in other technologies.

They have decreased our hours of operation because instructors are getting burned out due to being over-worked since there is a lack of instructors.  Many of the students across several cohorts are experiencing learning issues b/c there is a lack of teacher/student interaction. When asking for help we are told to figure it out ourselves in order to prepare ourselves for the working environment, even when we have been stuck on a project for almost 2 weeks.  It is a disgrace b/c this is supposed to be an educational environment and many of the students have been talking about walking out even when they are just 3 weeks into the course. The overall product here has been slowly deteriorating b/c Galvanize spent all their funding acquiring Hack Reactor, their biggest competitor, and can't afford to hire lead instructors from the development field.  Instead of being honest, the lead instructor and program director have lied to us several times about the untimely departure of all the instructors when they tell us they just found out about them leaving just days earlier.  Only to be secretly told through innuendos by resident instructors that they would be leaving 5 weeks earlier.

Not only can they not hire qualified instructors in a timely manner, they cannot resolve internal issues with course support programs, ie: advisory groups.  They just scrapped it b/c instructors could not communicate effectively with the others.  For $21,000, this course has definitely lost its value.  It seems that they have become like the majority of colleges around the country where all they care about is the almighty dollar from student tuition and not care about the quality of education and quality of coders graduating from the course.

The only people I truly feel like they are doing their job is the career advisors.

• Chuck  User Photo
    Chuck • Full Stack Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I studied in the 6-month Web Development intensive program at the SF Galvanize in 2017. Overall, I had a very positive experience. Here's the break down:

• I started with no programming experience except for what I crammed pre-course.
    • There were 13 students at the beginning of the cohort and 10 of us graduated at the end.
    • We studied Javascript across the stack (React on the front-end, Node/Express on the back-end).
    • Our lead instructor had 20 years of experience in the industry. A serious JavaScript expert.
    • Six weeks after graduation, I had a job as a full-stack developer in San Francisco.

More than any other reason, I chose to study at Galvanize because it was a 6-month program (with excellent student/teacher ratios) and I really felt like the 3 month programs wouldn't have given me enough exposure to get to a professional level as a developer.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Galvanize helped me reach my goal exactly as promised. The only advice I'd give to prospective students is to ask yourself these two questions:

1. Are you ready to put your life on hold and dedicate yourself to studying full time for six months? Like most things, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.
    2. Why do you want to be a web developer? The salaries sound great, but if that's your only motivation, it won't keep you in the game.

• Marty  User Photo
    Marty • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I rate my experience as a student and graduate of Galvanize WDI a 9 out of 10. I give Galvanize a 9 because I believed Galvanize did a great job in teaching me how to build a fullstack web app, unlocked the ability in me to learn and implement new technologies quickly, and strong career services support. Galvanize Web Development Immersive will teach you most of the basics in building a web app, including the front end and back end development. My only complaint in the curriculum was the lack of emphasis on CSS, which is really important in the real world. In the later portions, Galvanize also fostered an environment of self-learning, which is a really important skill required to make it in the real world. Galvanize also provided a strong career service department. They want you to succeed!!

• Tyrone DeSilva  User Photo
    Tyrone DeSilva • Data Scientist • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Highly recommended if you already have some quantitative background and want to get your foot in the door. Career services are phenomenal, curriculum is mostly things you can learn online or through self-reading. Solid instructors. Make sure to take 1-2 months before the program to study, do pre-course, think about capstone, brush up on python and stats.

• Yashwant Jankay  User Photo
    Yashwant Jankay • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Galvanize offers a great blend of talented instructors and chill co-working space to provide their students get the best of theory and true industrial practices in tech. They offer great pair programming exersises as a part of their Data Science currciculum which not only enables students to gain insights on different appoaches to problem solving, but also includes the gamification factor by learning to team up and tackle different parts of the same problem individually.

• Richard Jones  User Photo
    Richard Jones • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I found Galvanize kind of randomly. I thought long and hard before attending the school. I feel lucky that not only that I found Galvanize but committed to go through the program. Learning to program was a butt kicker, but being surrounded by great teachers and people passionate about coding -- let alone the other companies that work out of galvanize -- got me through the program and got me in the professional world. I am much happier in this new career field.

• Loved it !
    - 4/25/2018
    Jessica Anais Duarte Cabrera  User Photo
    Jessica Anais Duarte Cabrera • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I attended Galvanize at the Phoenix campus my experience was a rollercoaster of emotions in an awesome way of course because you are constantly being challenged and I loved that! Here are some of the top things I loved about my experience with Galvanize! First, the instructors are very knowledgeable and right away you can tell that they are passionate about their student's success and they will do anything from staying late to coming in during weekends to give their students extra help if needed. Second, the environment is very nice! I had access to tons of networking opportunities and most events provide food (lol). Third, I was able to gain many skills such as public speaking, networking, resume building, time-management, resourcefulness, branding, working under pressure and much more. Having a growth mindset is a big one at Galvanize and they helped me with. The career services manager will meet with you monthly to help you improve most of those skills, which is awesome. Fourth, I left with many long life supportive friends and with unforgettable memories.

I was amazed with how much I was able to learn in such a short amount of time.

Part of cohort g66,

Jessica Anais Duarte Cabrera

• Aritro Majumdar  User Photo
    Aritro Majumdar • Data Science Intern • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Galvanize Data Science Immersive Program (DSI) was a wonderful experience to go through. I loved the structure and the content of the program. I come from the standard university background before this and comparatively, the DSI program was where I learned the most given the time. The structure was very tailored to the student actually learning as opposed to getting a grade. There were a couple times where I did not do well on an assessment and the instructors were encouraging me to not to feel bad but learn from it. The content of the program was also well made. All the instructions for assignments are clearly written and explained. Additionally, the content is open to change which means the student learns not only fundamentals but also new technology and algorithms that are cutting edge. Overall, I loved the program!

• Cait  User Photo
    Cait • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    Hands down the best educators I've ever had, and the career transition support was top-notch. The greatest value of this program for me was the network of companies who were already happy with past Galvanize DSI grads they'd hired, and looking for more data scientists to grow their teams. The collaboration and friendships I forged with my fellow cohort colleagues have been great for building my network as well.

The 3 month curriculum was a great quikstart into the field of data science --- packed with fundamentals and hands-on experience through daily project work.
  • Steph Baron  User Photo
    Steph Baron • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to enrolling at Galvanize's NYC campus for their WDI immersive, I had done a fair amount of research into the various bootcamps. What mattered to me was the curriculum (was it up to date with what the NYC market demanded from developers). student to teacher ratio, and success rate in finding jobs post graduation.

When I went on a tour of the campus, the first WDI cohort was already in session as the campus was brand new. I observed their class and felt comfortable with the environment. I also learned that they had hired a woman to lead the next cohort that began in late August 2017. That excited me the most as the other bootcamps in the city did not have any women on staff as teachers.

As I went through the application process, it became clear to me that they were concerned with accepting students that understand foundational JavaScript and were eager to learn and learn quickly. I was accepted after 4 interviews and started on August 28th 2017.

My experience in class was intense and challenging. The pace is extremely quick even for a 6 month course. We learned front-end development in the first quarter then went into server-side and backend development for the second quarter. The third quarter was focused on React.js and the fourth quarter we focused on interview skills, building our portfolios and finishing our capstone projects.

The education I received was current and competitive in content. The career support I received from Arthur Chisholm was incredible. He dedicates himself to working with each student and making sure they are confident going into interviews.

When I was going through the interview process in the 4th quarter, Arthur and I had many 1:1s to go over interview questions and the ways to be a strong candidate. I ended up getting the job before I even graduated. My first day as a software developer at an advertising agency in Times Square was a week before my cohort officially graduated in February 2018.

Now that I've been in my job for a little over a month and a half, I can say that all the principles of development that I learned in the WDI course helped me understand all that I've learned thus far in my job. It's beyond difficult and not for everyone but if you really devote yourself to furthering your education in software development then you should enroll in this course.

Overall, I would recommend Galvanize. There are ups and downs to every bootcamp and it's ulitimately up to you on what is important and which bootcamp aligns most with what you want to get out of it. If you're going into a bootcamp thinking that you'll learn literally everything you need to know to become a software developer and have your hand held in the learning process, then it's not for you. You need to be self-sufficient to a point and not be afraid to ask for help when you need it. You get out of it what you put into it.

• Kat  User Photo
    Kat • iOS Application Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm not even sure where to begin with this review. Attending Galvanize changed my life and it was the best possible decision I could have made.

A bit of background: I did have a fair amount of technical training, a B.S. in a STEM field (biology) and exposure to coding/computer science from an early age. That said I never considered majoring in CS in college and definitely did not code "for fun" as a kid or young adult.

My more recent background had me working in a retail environment where I struggled to find a challenge. After a few years working the sales floor I moved into a marketing role where I managed social media, web presence, and advertising. This role reminded me that coding was something that I kind of enjoyed, and made me think about a career switch. Fast forward a few years, I got laid off and it was the right time for me to make the switch.

All this to say that a) I had a fair amount of background in technical areas and b) I knew that this was what I wanted to do. I would say that a coding bootcamp is not for someone who is code-curious. You should have a good amount of coding experience (side projects, Udemy or treehouse or FreeCodeCamp or whatever classes, etc) and be sure that you enjoy it.

The curriculum focused entirely on JavaScript, which I think was a good thing as it enabled us to learn front end, back end, functional programming, and the React framework, without having to relearn syntax. I did do my capstone project in iOS/Swift, which I think significantly impacted my job prospects after graduation, as I am on an iOS team now.

In short, I loved my 6 months at Galvanize and I'm a bit sad that it's over, but I landed a dream job at a major corporation working on an iOS application with millions of daily users, making more money than I ever thought I would.

If you're sure you want to do it, and you know that you *can* do it (impostor syndrome aside, we ALL get that) - your investment will pay off. You will have to work your butt off before, during, and after - but I think it's worth it.

• Shayla R Richard  User Photo
    Shayla R Richard • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I originally started my bootcamp experience at Turing. It was a rough start and I liked it, but I struggled like hell. I refute any claims that you can walk in off the street and fly. This program is hard! Not in a bad way- I met some amazing people and found that I love this stuff. However I struggled in MOD 1 and ended up repeating it. I took the summer off for family reasons.  I then sought Galvanize to complete my journey, this time uninterrupted. I initially visited Gschool first, but didn't go. This time it all worked out. I had amazing support from teachers and staff. I got what I needed as a learner. No one said no, or was too busy. I had an incredible cohort as well. I feel like any program is as good or bad as you make it, however my experience at Galvanize changed my life and my career. I am expensively grateful.