fullstack-academy-logo

Fullstack Academy

Chicago, New York City, Online

Fullstack Academy

Fullstack Academy offers full-time and part-time immersive software engineering bootcamps and cyber security bootcamps, with campuses in New York City, Chicago, and online. Fullstack's software engineering courses cover advanced JavaScript-oriented technologies and computer science topics including compiler theory, logic gates, and building an operating system. The cyber bootcamp covers encryption, networking, system architecture, cryptography, risk detection, and more. Fullstack Academy offers flexible options for college students and those who wish to continue working while learning modern tech skills. The Summer of Code program is an accelerated version of the immersive bootcamp for college students on summer break.

The full- and part-time immersives in NY and Chicago are for intermediate programmers who’ve learned the basics before applying, while the cyber and university bootcamps are specifically designed for beginners. Bootcamp Prep classes are available to help students prepare for admissions. To apply, candidates should submit an application via the website, take an online coding assessment (software engineering bootcamp) or a basic logical reasoning test (cyber bootcamp), then participate in a video interview.

Fullstack Academy programs aim to combine a cutting-edge technical curriculum with career counseling to make sure students can both do a technical job, and get a technical job. Fullstack hosts a Demo Day, which includes speed interviewing sessions, and the careers team helps students connect with the right people, interview successfully, and negotiate the best offer possible.

Recent Fullstack Academy Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (252) reviews for Fullstack Academy →

Recent Fullstack Academy News

Read all (79) articles about Fullstack Academy →
  • Bootcamp Prep in a Month

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationOnline, Chicago, New York City
    **NOTE: Prep In a Month courses are best for folks who have some previous experience with programming.** Fullstack Academy's Bootcamp Prep courses are free with refund (which means you'll get back everything you've paid upon completion of the course) and will prepare you for the full-time software engineering programs at both Fullstack and Grace Hopper (our all-women's school), plus Fullstack's part-time Flex program. These courses teach the fundamentals of programming and show you how to use JavaScript to solve real-world coding problems. Best of all, they're taught by working developers who once graduated from one of Fullstack's programs, so you can really get a feel for the environment we foster and the kinds of smart, driven, generous people our community is made up of.
    Refund / GuaranteeFull refund upon course completion.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-Beginner
    Prep WorkIncludes a 10-hr prep workshop. Not required, but highly recommended to help students get the most out of class.
  • Bootcamp Prep in a Week

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
    In PersonFull Time1 Week
    LocationOnline, New York City
    **NOTE: Prep In a Week courses are best for folks who have some previous experience with programming.** Fullstack Academy's Bootcamp Prep courses are free with refund (which means you'll get back everything you've paid upon completion of the course) and will prepare you for the full-time software engineering programs at both Fullstack and Grace Hopper (our all-women's school), plus Fullstack's part-time Flex program. These courses teach the fundamentals of programming and show you how to use JavaScript to solve real-world coding problems, and best of all? They're taught by working developers who once graduated from one of Fullstack's programs, so you can really get a feel for the environment we foster and the kinds of smart, driven, generous people our community is made up of.
    Refund / GuaranteeFull refund upon course completion.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginners
  • Flex (Part-Time) Immersive

Start Date January 14, 2020
    LocationChicago, New York City
    Flex offers an opportunity to complete the rigorous Fullstack immersive program, but over a six-month span, while keeping a full-time job. Students attend class in-person two nights per week, and remotely one night per week. Each month will have one immersive weekend, where Flex students come to campus both Saturday and Sunday. The other three weekends will consist of remote work -- not requiring live attendance. These remote weekends will utilize learning tools that work well in that format: video lectures and workshop reviews, solo coding workshops, and even pair-programming with classmates using virtual collaboration tools. This remote work will be self-paced -- completed by a deadline, but on the student’s schedule.
    Fullstack Academy partners with SkillsFund
    Scholarship$1,000 scholarship for women; $1,000 scholarship for veterans. $2,000 built-in scholarship for Chicago students.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    Prep Work4-week Foundations Course
    January 14, 2020 - New York City Apply by November 17, 2019
  • Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp

LocationNew York City
    The Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp is a full-time, 17-week training program that prepares students to get cyber security jobs as pen testers and SOC analysts after graduation. Operated by Fullstack Academy, one of the longest-running coding bootcamps in the nation, the Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp is part of New York City’s $100-million-dollar Cyber NYC initiative, which aims to transform the City of New York into a global cyber hub. In keeping with this mission, the City is sponsoring 24 low-income New Yorkers to attend the first cohort of the Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp tuition-free. Head to the web page for eligibility information.
    Deposit2,000
    Fullstack Academy has a financing partnership with SkillsFund
    ScholarshipFull scholarships to our inaugural cohort (including deposit refund upon program completion) available for qualifying NYers. Made possible by the City of New York's CyberNYC initiative. See website for eligibility information & additional scholarships.
    Prep WorkTake our introduction to the industry, Hacking 101, before you interview: https://cyber.fullstackacademy.com/prepare/hacking-101
  • NYC Web Development Fellowship

Data Science, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js
    LocationNew York City
    In partnership with the NYC Tech Talent Pipeline, the NYC Web Development Fellowship will award ~40 NYC residents tuition-free admission to Fullstack's award-winning Software Engineering program. This curriculum has been proven successful -- Fullstack graduates are now working at companies like Google, Venmo, Facebook, Amazon, and LinkedIn, as well as hundreds of innovative small- and mid-size tech companies. Learn more about the fellowship as well as eligibility restrictions on the Fullstack website: https://www.fullstackacademy.com/nyc-fellowship
    ScholarshipFree Tuition for Eligible NYC Residents
  • Software Engineering Immersive

Start Date January 13, 2020
    LocationChicago, New York City
    Fullstack Academy’s flagship course, the Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive is a 17-week career accelerator. Through an advanced curriculum and project-based structure, students learn today’s cutting edge development technologies. The Fullstack Immersive prepares graduates for software engineer roles at top-tier technology companies. Our JavaScript-driven curriculum immerses you in the latest web technologies such as Node.js, React.js, and postgreSQL. You bring the energy, curiosity, and dedication — we'll provide a world-class school for becoming an expert software developer.
    Fullstack Academy has a financing partnership with SkillsFund
    ScholarshipBuilt-in $2,000 student scholarship; $1,000 scholarship for women; $1,000 scholarship for veterans.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    Prep Work4-week remote Foundations Course precedes the 13 weeks on-campus
    January 13, 2020 - Chicago Apply by November 24, 2019
    January 13, 2020 - New York City Apply by November 24, 2019
  • Summer of Code

LocationChicago, New York City
    Summer of Code is a coding education program uniquely designed for ambitious college students seeking to supplement their traditional education by learning real world skills and building a portfolio of impressive projects. You bring the energy, curiosity and fierce dedication — we'll provide a world-class school for becoming an expert level coder in one summer.
    Fullstack Academy has partnerships with Skills Fund and Upstart
    ScholarshipBuilt-in $2,000 student scholarship; $1,000 scholarship for women.
    Minimum Skill LevelCollege students only.
    Prep Work4-week Foundations course

• $500 Fullstack Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Fullstack Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• Software Engineering Immersive (Chicago)

• Aryeh Harris  User Photo
    Aryeh Harris • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just graduated Fullstack Academy's immersive cohort in NYC. It was an amazing experience and I learned a ton. They have amazing instructors who really want to make sure you understand the material and the material they teach is what is currently hot in the tech industry. I learned React + Redux with them and only two cohorts before me they were teaching Angular. They did an amazing job with React, and in general all of their workshops are so much fun to do and they really get you to learn and absorb the material.

I don't have a job yet as I just graduated, but Fullstack is extremely legit about helping you get one. They have people working there who's sole purpose is to assist students with their job search.

I highly recommend Fullstack to anybody who is serious about coding and is ready to work really hard for about four months straight. Time willl fly and you will come out with your brain stuffed with coding knowledge and ready to apply it all to a real job.

• Rachel  User Photo
    Rachel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was in the first remote immersive course at Fullstack Academy. Between the students, the staff, and the curriculum, I'm a raving fan. And there were even perks beyond that! Like we got to use a Pixel phone and Daydream headset so we could figure out how to code in VR. And they had a Fullstack campus for us in MineCraft so we could feel like we were part of things on campus.

It started with Foundations. That was four weeks with video classes and 2-3 hour tests. We learned intermediate JavaScript fundamentals, and it felt so hard, but I loved being pushed to do even more than I thought I could do.

Then it was time for Junior Phase, which was six days a week, and 7am-4pm since I'm on the West Coast, with a 1.5 hour lunch. It was intense, with new concepts and technologies being learned every day (data structures, SQL, Express, Sequelize, jQuery, CSS, React, Redux, etc.). It went at a breakneck pace, and I felt like I was always behind. But I hung in there and by the time we hit Christmas break, I had learned a ton. I loved pair programming with my classmates, and my teachers were extraordinary human beings: deeply kind, endlessly patient, and skilled at teaching. They effortlessly combined humor and staying on topic.

Senior Phase was projects, whiteboard interview prep, career prep, and CTO lectures. We met five days a week, and did four coding projects: an e-commerce site, an individual hackathon, a tech talk, and a capstone project. Fullstack was super supportive about making sure we had strong portfolios when we graduated.

One thing that surprised me about the remote program was how intimate it was. We were always communicating through web cams, and they get close up on your face. And we had a lot of one-on-one time with our instructors. I was amazed at all the personal attention. I feel close with my entire cohort, and like I made a bunch of new friends, and we can go forward and work on projects together (I'm actually already doing this with two classmates).

TL;DR: I can't say enough good things about this program. It changed my life. I've leveled up.

• Kenneth Lai • Software Engineer • Graduate

Fullstack Academy made me excited to wake up every single morning. All the instructors are extremely approachable and always available to help. As intense as it was, honestly I was having so much fun. It's an incredible experience that I'll always treasure. There will be games and activites on certain days to balance out the work. The instructors are extremely knowledgable and it was great learning from all of them. After all, it is all dependent on your own willingness and responsibility to learn and how much work you are willing to put into reaching your goals.Their career success team is amazing that will give you great insight, strategies and knowledge to maximize your potential to landing a job. The career coaches will be available to you even after you graduate and guide you every step of the way. It was a hard journey, but if you want it bad enough, you will pull through.

• Lerena Holloway • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy of Code and I have to say, it was one of the best moves in my entry to Software Engineering career.  I went in knowing only a little about Front-End development, Beginner Python, and a little bit about JavaScript and came out an official full stack software engineer.

I knew that I wanted to take my coding skills to the next level, so after researching and hearing from other people I had reached out to who had also completed Fullstack, I chose to give it a try.  Coming in, I was a bit intimidated, afraid for what would happen...would I be able to keep up?  What if I failed?  I had heard that the intensity of the course was very high and that a lot of new information would be thrown at me.  I chose to go forth, courageously and make the investment.  I am thoroughly glad that I did not let fear of the unknown stop me.

The program was highly structured and regimented.  The system was so detailed it became easy to pinpoint areas where there was a block in my understanding; coming from the military, I really appreciated such an organized platform.  This level of structure along with the immense support from the staff and fellows made it possible to tackle really hard subjects in such a short period of time.  It was far from easy, but attending Fullstack helped me to realize my own ability in learning new technologies in a matter of 2 weeks and really possessing the aptitude to create projects that I never believed I could have created a year ago.  This is just the tip of the iceberg of what makes Fullstack a top choice!

• Amneet Sandhu • Graduate

Fullstack Academy(FSA) has been such a career maker for me. Before I worked at a management level position within UPS, a fortune 50 company. Well I liked the people around me, I felt like I needed to make a change as I could do a lot more. Software Development was always in my mind post college but I shyed away from it because I didn't want to go through 4 years of undergrad.

Coding bootcamps had always been in my mind as a possible solution but there's so many out there and from one of my personal friend's experience, it hasn't paid off. But FSA is covered by the government and verified as a legitimate education organization. My experience at FSA has been life changing as my mental capabilitties were pushed to the limit at such a short amount of time. The career growth FSA provides gives you an edge against other bootcamp grads and provides you with strong fundamentals to learn more programming languages as well writing clean code.

Everyone at FSA was extremely helpful and crucial in me landing my first job in Software Developement. For those that are contemplating coding bootcamps, let alone FSA. I highly recommend FSA. They are a strong organization that produces strong future developers.

• Michelle • Software Engineer • Student

2 months post graduation.. I am now a software engineer.

I could give you my story about a job I disliked and how I got into coding, but we all have those. When it came to choosing the right coding bootcamp, I spoke with numerous engineers both in the Bay Area and in Chicago; people from companies such as Charles Schwab and Google. They were familiar with several different bootcamps, but the majority of them strongly recommended Fullstack Academy. They often worked with Fullstack graduates, or knew their company specifically looked to hire those with a Fullstack Academy background.

I took Fullstack's bootcamp prep course (highly recommend if you don't have a CS background), and then I applied for Fullstack's complete program. Here's a quick timeline:

December 2018: Started taking free coding courses online, learning JavaScript

January - February 2019: Took Fullstack's Bootcamp Prep Course

March - July 2019: Completed Fullstack's Full-Time Bootcamp

September 2019: Accepted position as Software Engineer

The bootcamp itself was TOUGH. Most days I wondered if I had made the right choice, and I was especially nervous about the looming job search. Fortunately, Fullstack takes its "No Assholes" policy seriously, and my cohort was full of kind, passionate individuals who were also there to learn and support one another. The instructors were extremely helpful, and any time I needed some extra help they were eager to make time and answer any questions as quickly as possible.

All in all, Fullstack knows what they're doing, and their stack is current and what most companies are looking for.. which is the most vital thing to keep in mind when doing your bootcamp search.

Turns out, tons of companies are genuinely looking for engineers/programmers/devs. If you practice your coding, and stay familiar with the concepts Fullstack went over, your interviews will go well. Within a month of graduating, 80% of my cohort was hired, and 2 of them became fellows.

Looking back now, I am so happy I took the plunge and chose Fullstack Academy.

• Sean • Front End Developer • Graduate

Fullstack is an incredible institution. I started my journey with Fullstack through their boot camp prep course (which I highly recommend), and upon completing the course was able to pass the admissions process to be enrolled into their fulltime immersive.

Upon admission, I chose to take the Sept'18-Dec'18 cohort and even passed on a half scholarship to another coding boot camp (Flatiron School). I had talked to a few people and it just seemed that FSA's education was substantially better than a handful of the other boot camps.

Based on my research I had high expectations for Fullstack, and to be honest they exceeded just about all of them.

Given how much you learn in a relatively short amount of time, the instructors for these programs are probably the most important part of your experience, and I can honestly say that my instructors (John, Geoff, and Dakota) were the best instructors I've had in any educational setting ever.

There are no dumb questions at FSA, and the institution does everything they can to make sure is staying on track and up to speed with the rest of the cohort (office hours, extra study sessions, etc). I can't tell you how many questions I asked my instructors, but they always were able to bring it down to my level, and always able to help me walk away feeling more confident.

The experience is intimidating at first, and it does require a lot of work, but the experience was hands down the most rewarding of my entire educational career.

FSA is a springboard for a new career, it still requires you to be dedicated to learning, and to have a strong work ethic, but if you are truly committed to learning this curriculum and to opening the doors to a new career, then I can recommend this boot camp enough.

• No regurtz
    - 9/3/2019
    Thanh • Student

I throughly enjoyed my time at Fullstack Academy. The instructors were really knowledgable and always open to help. I have gotten extra individual help plenty of times. The career team were so supportive and they were always tentative to my questions. I can't recommend Fullstack enough. Thank you to everyone at Fullstack from top to bottom for helping me suceed.

• Bianca Czaderna • Graduate

I started researching coding bootcamps while in a job that I loathed. I had only one friend who had done one, which is what prompted the research, but other than that, I had no idea what they were about. I was an English major in school, and had taken pretty much only humanities classes, and so never even thought that computer science or engineering would be something that I could even do at this point! The Grace Hopper Program stood out to me for 2 reasons: a) all women's and b) deferred tuition. Overall, it has proven to be a great choice, and I do not regret it.

It is hard to get in. My advice would be: take at least 3 months to prepare for the interview. Take all of the pre-bootcamp stuff that Fullstack recommends, but do even more than that. The Foundations course (the first month of the bootcamp, which is online) is really hard. Meaning that even once you get in, you need to pass the hurdle of actually passing Foundations. This was not made very clear to me when I applied: Foundations is HARD and the only way you will pass if you have no background in coding is if you study 24/7 and also take some months to just get the muscle memory down and let the vast amount of information sink in. I had to take Foundations twice; the second time it was even harder! By some miracle I passed. Consider yourself warned, though! It will take time and grit. You will need to sacrifice lots of things (time with friends and family, outdoor activities, any other activities....). But it is possible!

The on-campus experience once I finally passed Foundations (phew!) was generally very good. The cohorts are pretty small (25-40 people from what I have seen), and they really do try to foster a collaborative, friendly atmopshere where women can feel free to be themselves and explore a field that (most likely) they are not comfortable in. That said, there were quite a few people in my cohort who had been engineers in the past (maybe a different kind of engineer, but still), and so they hit the ground running and were clearly faster than the rest of us. I thought that everyone was going to be on the same page, but some of us were most definitely not. On the other hand, I certainly learned from pair-programming with them.

In general the on-campus experience was very positive. The first half of bootcamp, called "Junior phase", was all about absorbing tons of information (they called it "drinking from a firehouse") -- so the day would be full of lectures and labs (where you'd either work on it by yourself or with a partner, usually with a partner). Sometimes the lectures would be just 20 minutes long, but you'd have 3 or 4 interspersed throughout the day with labs in-between. You'd have a different partner each day so you really got to know people that way, plus it was good experience in pair-programming. We would have checkpoints (tests) each week, but they were take-home, and technically weren't graded, though actually your fellow (a recent grad who stays on to be like a TA) does grade you just to know how you're progressing. They do keep tabs carefully on each student, by the way, to make sure that everyone is on track and will be in good shape to get a job by the time the program is over. If for some reason you seem to be behind, they will let you know and try to assign you a remote tutor and give you some tips on how to study/survive bootcamp better. Anyways -- aside from the checkpoints, you also have two timed, in-class exams: the mid-term and the final (which is called the "senior checkpoint"). The mid-term (called "pillars") doesn't actually have any real consequences, it's just another way for them to gauge how you're doing. Senior checkpoint, though, is make-or-break. In that if you don't pass it you don't get to move on. Although I think recently they've offered a re-take option. There is also a final project that you do at the end of Jr phase. If your project and exam are up to par, then you move on. If not, you may be asked to either a) repeate Junior phase or b) leave.

I was asked to repeat Junior phase because my project wasn't quite there. I welcomed this opportunity, though it did end up costing me 3k more in the end. The pace during bootcamp is lightening speed, and I'm not necessarily to quickest learner, so I felt I needed more time. They rarely don't let people repeat, but it did happen in my cohort.

The second phase is "senior phase", and that's all project work. This part was really fun. Stressful, because you have very limited time to do your projects, and on top of that you have to start worrying about career stuff, but it was still fun because it was so creative. You can think for yourself a lot more; it's less about grades. At that point they basically can't kick you out, either, so that is some aleviated stress! I really enjoyed senior phase. Career counseling was very good, I thought.

Once you leave the program, the (in my opinion) hardest part begins. Now you are no longer surrounded by others who are on the same journey as you (that is, you can be, but you have to make a big effort to get together with them). You don't have the support network and the encouragement of being on campus. You are at home. In front of your computer. Checking your email and LinkedIn obsessivley because you never know when you'll get that message that could lead to a job interview! I do not recommend going on vacation after bootcamp. You will lose your momentum. Stick it out, and keep going full steam ahead. That is what I did. I didn't apply to any jobs cold -- only went through friends, undergrad, and bootcamp networks, mostly through LinkedIn, and talked to people over the phone and over coffee from there. That sometimes led to a referral, which sometimes led to an interview. I've just accepted a job 2 months out of bootcamp, and the offer is good :) But it was a ton of work, probably just as much as bootcamp itself.

In sum, I never would have gotten a job like this if it hadn't been for GH. So I am so grateful for that, and for the alumni network which I am now a part of. It has been very empowering to learn how to code. However, it was been a grueling journey, so don't go into this thinking it will be an easy way out. It is no cakewalk. It feels like a bootcamp. There were days when I could barely get myself to roll out of bed because I was so tired! It will take a lot of perseverance, but it can help you greatly improve your career, salary, and life. If Jess Bracht and Geoff Bass are still there, they are awesome. Get to know them.

Finally, the all-women's aspect definitely makes a difference. People would always comment on how the atmosphere on our floor was so friendly and convivial. It really does become like a sisterhood.

Best of luck!

• Changed my life!
    - 7/16/2019
    Alex Gura • Software Engineer • Graduate

Fullstack took me from having no knowledge of coding to being able to land a job as a software engineer. From starting prep courses in Nov 2018 to graduating in April 2019 to finishing my teaching fellowship in July 2019 Fullstack has been supportive, helpful, and a fantastic experience every step of the way. Before fullstack I was a directionless college grad saddened by my employment prospects. Now, I'm on my way to forging a promising, interesting, and rewarding career in a burgeoning new field. I would recommend to all with an interest in logical thinking, problem solving, and design, and who want an invigorating experience.

• Nelson Gedeon • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate

My experience at Fullstack was amazing. Completing the course made me a more skilled & confident engineer. The instructors were great, knowledgeable and ready to help whenever you needed. The material we covered and the approach we took prepared me for my technical interviews. The help provided by the career success team was amazing. I will recommend Fullstack to anyone who is looking to improve or gain engineering skills. The people in my cohort were amazing and we all grew and learned together.

• Mustafa Dane • Web Solutions Engineer • Graduate

Attending to Fullstack Academy was the best decision of my life. I have found my true passion and gained a lot of valuable skills. Besides that, I also had the best friendships during my time at Fullstack.

I attended Fullstack from September to December in 2018 at Chicago Campus. Then, I was hired by Fullstack as a Teaching Fellow where I worked there for 3 months. About 2 months after the end of my fellowship, I found a job at my dream company, Google, as a Web Solutions Engineer.

Before Fullstack, I was a PhD student in Molecular Biology at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I had interest to coding before; but it was always like a hobby. After I quit grad school, the best thing I know was coding (seriously, I didn’t have skills in any area besides biology) and I wanted to turn this hobby into a career. I looked at the best coding bootcamps around Chicago and Fullstack was one of the first ones that came up through my searches. I talked to many grads before convincing myself that this will worth the money. After the first week at Fullstack, I already knew it’s worth it!

Let me talk a little bit about specifics. Curriculum! There are tons of materials out there and other teaching methods where you can learn coding. Some of them are good for some students and some students might feel like a total loss amongst all these materials. The key point here is consistency. Fullstack has consistent track of success where graduates coming from different backgrounds who achieve at the end. And Fullstack has been doing this quite a while. Fullstack developed one of the best curriculums out there and they are constantly developing it to make it better. They adjust the curriculum based on the industry’s needs and these changes can be documented by the success of their graduates. Another thing is that they know the best how to teach that curriculum. So, instructors! Instructors in Chicago are really good! My instructors were Collin, Finn, and Ben and they were all amazing! Due to their technical work history, they know the ins and outs of the internet for a long time. When you ask a question outside of the curriculum, you see their expertise on many other topics. Besides their knowledge, they really care about the students. There were multiple times when an instructor helped us after hours or even during lunch sacrificing their free time. I will give a specific example: One time, we were debugging really hard and it was about 4:45. Collin was passing behind us, and we didn’t call for his help as it was late already. But he saw that we are struggling a lot and he offered help. Then, he helped us debug for about an hour straight. He was passionate about finding the bug (more like helping the students actually) and he found it at the end. Another thing I want to mention is job search and career development. Fullstack does not only teach you the skills you need but also teaches you how to present them in a best way while you are applying, at the interviews, after the interviews, at the offer stage, negotiating, and even accepting the offer (Sounds exciting, huh? You all will get there 😊 ). Chicago’s career success counselor, Holly, is great as she is super helpful. She helps you at every stage of your job hunt which is while you are at Fullstack and after you leave until you sign the offer. I think this is a really good opportunity for people like us who learned bunch of new skills recently but don’t know how exactly to present them. The last thing I want to talk about is Fullstack’s special way of teaching Data Structures and Algorithms. As you might already know, most of the big tech companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Microsoft asks a lot of data structures problems at the interviews. They are like the fundamentals of the computer science and these companies want to make sure you know them really well. Not all companies ask these questions and when they ask, they don’t ask as hard as the other bug ones. Fullstack teaches data structures really well at an introductory level. In junior phase, you got some data structures lectures to kick off. Every week, there is an optional meetup where you can study more of these kind of questions after school. And at senior phase, students have 1-hour morning session where they either learn a new data structure or an algorithm taught by an instructor or they are given a question to solve followed by explanations by teaching fellows. I think this is a great opportunity as you get to deal with these hard topics every day and after 6 weeks, they do accumulate. As I mentioned before, it is still like an introductory to data structures. It’s more than enough for most of the interviews. It is also a great start if you want to study more and try one of the big tech companies.

Overall, my experience with Fullstack was excellent! I strongly recommend Fullstack to anyone who will be devoting their time and effort to become a Software Engineer. I know it’s not so simple but it’s doable with Fullstack.

• Edwin Kim • Graduate

I’m gonna try a Q&A interview style here.

Q. What were you doing before?

A. I majored in business for my undergrad degree. Worked in finance for several years, then joined a startup company doing marketing.

Q. How did you become interested in coding?

A. Throughout my career, and many of you will or already may have experienced is that companies are continuously trying to automate workflows. Who plays the crucial role? Developers! To even work as a project manager role, you can no longer be in the dark of all the technical side. I believed that it was a must-have-skillset.

Q. Why did you decide to go to Fullstack?

A. The coding bootcamp industry has been around for almost a decade already. Big companies are recognizing this and acquiring the bootcamps. It is no longer a matter of being a scam or not. We are in a very lucky era. We now can get a good job in a good cultured company without the degree. No matter what your age is or what academic or career background you come from, you still have another chance to make the transition. We ALL still have an opportunity to get back up and try something else! And thanks to coding bootcamps, it’s even easier.

That being said, like all schools and companies, there are top-tiered bootcamps right now. Since all the rankings and data are available online, I’m just going to share a personal opinion, or more like a word on the street from bootcamp grads. Before I say it, let me emphasize that this might be biased and is not a fact. It’s just what I’ve gathered from several people around me before deciding. The top bootcamps with the strongest alumni network were the following at the time: Fullstack Academy and HackReactor. So I only considered these two schools. The final decision was made corresponding to my personal circumstances (tuition, living cost, and location). I chose Fullstack’s Chicago campus.

Q. What did you think about the curriculum / structure of Fullstack?

A. Junior Phase (6 weeks): I was really impressed with Fullstack’s learning platform. The topics you learn will be popular ones that you actually see on many real life job descriptions. You will experience solo labs and pair programming workshops everyday. Frankly, most of you will prefer solo labs, but thanks to the forced pair programming style Fullstack provides, you WILL get better. And you need to! Pair programming is a skillset that really does help coding and I’ve been asked a bunch of times on actual interviews what I thought about pair programming. FYI - junior phase is very very intense and fast-paced but don’t give up! You will get all the support and help needed.

Senior Phase (6 weeks): One thing I love about Fullstack’s senior phase is that you will have three projects out of this program that could be added on your portfolio and resume which is CRUCIAL during job hunt. An excellent part of Fullstack’s curriculum is that it gets you to be trained and disciplined on learning new libraries and frameworks on your own. You will have this experience and be amazed how much you have grown at the end. It’s just an amazing feeling.

Q. How are the instructors?

A. AMAZING! They really do care about you. They know you’ve come to the program very determined. So they take it very seriously, like a mission. They are very clear on explaining topics and very good on debugging your code as well. It’s like magic when you go up to them and ask for help. If you do get in to the program, learn and absorb from them as much as possible!

Q. How was career success support and the job hunt?

A. They have an amazing career success coach always at your service. She will well prepare you on your resume and cover letter. She is an action taker which is why the network with companies are growing rapidly in Chicago too. At the end of the program, you will have ‘launch day’ which is like a ‘career fair’ but you will be guaranteed to have a one-on-one conversation with the companies. This won’t guarantee you a job, but many did get jobs from this event. At worst, it gives you actual experience to practice interviewing.

Q. What do you think about our alumni community?

A. As mentioned earlier, the alumni network is one of the main reasons choosing Fullstack. See for yourself. Look up bootcamps on LinkedIn and see where the alums are currently working. Also, whenever I reached out to them personally and I’m not going to lie, not all of them but most of them do reply and are so willing to help you! I’m honestly very proud to be a Fullstack alum.

Q. How were your classmates?

A. As I mentioned, word on the street goes that Fullstack is considered a top-tier bootcamp. And I wasn’t the only one hearing about it. That’s why so many students apply and put Fullstack as their top choice. This leads to competition and the ones that do get accepted are the more prepared. As a result, your colleagues will not only be smart and intelligent but disciplined and persistent individuals. Most of all, I don’t know if this was intentional but somehow most students in Fullstack are generous and warm-hearted human beings. I made so many great friends here. This kind of environment is what keeps you motivated.

Q. Anything else you wanna say?

A. It seems like I’ve said a lot of good things. Am I biased? Absolutely. But that’s what Fullstack has done to me. I love it and so darn proud to be a part of it. Of course there’s always pros and cons, but I’m also adding my word on the street, Fullstack is definitely worth it.

And just one more thing. Fullstack is great, but you yourself need to work hard! It's not going to be easy at all.. But do NOT give up.

• B • Software Engineer • Graduate

I could not be happier with my decision to attend the Grace Hopper Program at Fullstack Academy. In two weeks, I will be starting my first job as a Software Engineer, and I am tremendously grateful for the instructors, career success team, and wonderful peers that all helped me get where I am today. This curriculum truly synthesizes everything you need, and only what you need, to get up and running as a modern developer. As a person who has gone through traditional Computer Science education in the past, and struggled immensely, the education style at Fullstack / Grace Hopper emphasizes learning-by-doing in the most effective way. Most of all, the genuinely lifelong friendships and now massive professional network I gained here are nothing short of invaluable. As a cherry on top, the all-female learning environment, something I'd never experienced before, was a gorgeous community that championed validation, respect, and inclusivity. The culture here is not one of "if you're not good enough, you don't belong here," it's "we will do whatever it takes to help you succeed." This is everything I could have ever wanted in a computer science education and more — 100% worth the investment. My time at Grace Hopper was absolutely stellar and I cannot restate enough how grateful I am.

• Matt D. • Forward Deployed Engineer • Graduate

Fullstack was great! One of the best educational experiences of my life. The instructors are clear, approachable, and genuinely care about their students. It's hard to believe how much I learned in such a short period of time. (My background had nothing to do with comp sci.) I went in knowing only basic javascript, and some html/css, and came out knowing how to do fullstack development, with a greater understanding of the internet, and computer science fandmentals.

One of the main reasons I chose Fullstack was because of what I read about their career services. It delivered! Fullstack has many mechanisms in place designed to help students find employment post graduation. As a student you get training in computer science fundamentals (e.g., data structures, solving algorithms) that help you on the job hunt. And you also get paired with a remote career counselor who helps you refine your resume and behavioral interview persona. There are workshops to help with your pitch, resume, and strategies for a job hunt. And finally, at the end of your time as a student, Fullstack invites in a number of companies looking to hire students. In addition to all of this, career counselors are also very helpful with everything just mentioned and more. Career counselors put me in contact with Fullstack alum, sent me job postings they thought I'd be a good fit for, and were supportive throughout my job search. (Make sure to keep in contact with your career counselor throughout your search!)

• Take the Prep
    - 2/22/2019
    Jonathan Helvey • Student

I took the Bootcamp Prep in a Month course back in August to see what FullStack Academy was all about.  I had no real knowleged of JavaScript or coding beforhand.  This course taught me so much is so little time.  It gave me the foundations that I needed to know to better understand the Javascript language and it gave me the tools to pass the test to get into the Immersive Progame.

The Prep in the month is fun, challenging at times, and the teachers are amazing.  I am very gladd I attended the course becuase I start FullStack Academy Immersive in Feb. 2019!

• Mary • Software Developer • Graduate

Going to Fullstack in Chicago changed my life.  I went from zero technical ability (I was formally a chef), to employed at a great company as a full stack software engineer in less than a year.

I actually struggled through the program in the beginning.  I had many resources available to help: teaching fellows, incredible instructors, supplemental material, and my fellow classmates.  The senior phase will give you exposure to working on agile teams, and you are going to get some great portfolio pieces. My only suggestion to the program would be to find a way to extend the time to work on the capstone project.

The faculty is phenomenal in Chicago.  Ben, Priti, Collin, and Fin are all so knowledgeable and are obsessed with being quality educators.  They provide the most up to date curriculum - they continuously update lectures and workshops as needed.  Each one has his or her own passion for different aspects of development and a unique personality. Inevitably you will find one that suits your particular learning needs.  Together they could probably teach a really smart dog to code. All of their work is supplemented by the teaching fellows, who will spend as much time as you need going over concepts, code, and answering questions.  The atmosphere of learning is painstakingly iterated upon at all levels and it really shows.

You will need: a positive attitude, a growth mindset, and the ability to put in hard work to get through this program.  What you make of your time at Fullstack with be entirely up to you - don’t squander it. If you can become a teaching fellow DO IT.  That extra time spent teaching and leading the student agile teams will make you a better developer, give you perspective, and it will do wonders for your resume.  Being a fellow gives you extra time with the material, access to the faculty and staff, and you will be challenged every day to be confident in your technical knowledge and abilities.

The journey concludes with the job search.  This portion of the program is really different depending on the individual.  For me, it was a three month emotional rollercoaster resulting in a dream job.  Fullstack provides so many resources to help you land the right position. Again, it’s up to you to take advantage of these resources.   You get assigned a remote career counselor who will go over your resume and tease the professional out of you with practice interviews, and pitch reviews.  There are mock technical and behavioral interviews, alumni panels, workshops, sample resumes, cover letters, lectures on how to look for jobs, follow up, interview behavior, even how to write thank you notes and negotiate for a better salary.  Launch day gives you the opportunity to have several very real interviews, which at worst are great practice, and at best could result in continuing the interview process or even a job offer.

The most valuable resource, however, is Holly the career success counselor.  This woman will provide professional help on things like your emails, resumes, cover letters, how to word a LinkedIn message - literally anything that you need help on.  On top of that she is there to talk, vent to, or cheer you on or up depending on the situation. I could have never gotten through the job search without her. She was the one holding my hand the whole way.  In my previous career an interview involved showing up with a sharp knife - so clearly I needed a lot of guidance. The help she provided was invaluable.

Lastly, shout out to Bret for keeping the whole place together.

• Great Prep Course
    - 1/24/2019
    Thomas • Student

I enjoyed the remote Bootcamp Prep in a Week course. I liked my instructor and thought he was good at explaining concepts in a way that was efficient and thorough. The pace was fast but manageable and overall I enjoyed the experience. I liked getting to know the other students and their experience with learning to code. I thought the prep course sufficiently prepared me for the admissions assesment as well as the interview.

• Chris Jones • Front-End Web Developer • Graduate

Fullstack was a really good experience, I got a job and would definitely do it again and would recommend to a friend. That said, I'm going to focus in this review on a couple of specific areas where I think they can improve.

I intensly disliked the 'sit in a circle and discuss your feelings' aspect of the program. It was clear to me that FSA is dedicated to continuously updating their cirriculum to current technologies and trends. Which is, of course, awesome and exactly what they should do. That acknowledged, it becomes hard for me to understand why they feel it necessary to use what could be valuable learning time to have students sit around and listen to what other students are feeling, or how the students feel the program can improve, without having much knowledge of the big picture that is a profession in programming.

Now this could be great and valuable (for the instructors) once or twice, but as a student it gets tiring fast and becomes hard to see the utility. The (relatively) low score I gave the instructors is not due to what I saw as far as lack of empathy, knowledge, or dedication, but more towards what I saw as a misguided directive to ask for feedback basically all the time. Ideally, if I'm paying you a large sum of money to be taught a specific cirriculum, what I really want is to be taught by someone who's confident.

My impression is that they do have smart teachers who possess all of the qualities listed above, but that the constant grading by students of coursework (yes), the constant asking for feedback, the weekly sharing of usually panic-y and burned out emotions, etc., does not serve the teachers or students well.

And as a definitely less important, but perhaps somewhat related, second point- I'd suggest to cool it on the social justice stuff. Now, as far as class time spent on the topic, it's admittedly (thankfully) minimal- the social justice lecture only took an hour of class time. But, it focused heavily on several easily disproven items, such as the Harvard Implicit Bias Test, on which even extreme left wing publications like Vox have published articles pointing out that the test has no real scientific value, and produces no sustained measurement. Another is the idea that women are systematically oppressed in the field of tech, as evidenced solely by enrollment numbers in the tech work force. Sexism, of course, does exist, but this particular line of logic has been repeatedly disproven, quite recently by studies in the London Times and also Nature magazine, who did a study on a sample size of 1.6 million students progressing through STEM education and into the workforce, both published in Sept 2018. I won't link here but encourage you to google them.

If you really must have this as a part of your cirriculum, I suggest you treat it as you treat the rest of the topics you cover. Constantly check your assumptions, consult multiple sources by publications of different ideological stripes, don't get carried away by confirmation biases, and keep updating the course based on the best available data.

You have a bunch of advantages over colleges when it comes to attracting students. The course is fast moving, transparent, has a low acceptance rate, values real-world practicality, is comparitively very cheap, etc. Another advantage you could have is that you can be a place of learning where facts and data are not repressed by a disproven, yet oft-repeated ideology.

Thanks for reading, the staff and class helped me tremendously, and I wish for nothing but the continued success of Fullstack.

• A True Investment
    - 1/19/2019
    Jehoshuah Knapp • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

Fullstack Academy is a real investment. You will invest your time, your mind, and ofcourse your cash. While doing my search for a bootcamp to attend Fullstack stood out as an intense and effective option. If you are serious about your investment this will yield serious results. If you are not in a place where you can devote your whole attention and effort to something you may struggle here.

Fullstack has a rigorous application process and certainly doesnt just accept anyone. This is a sign of things to come, as the course work and material is extremely challenging.

Some folks think the only way to succeed is already having computer science experience or a degree. I came into the bootcamp with absolutely 0 knowledge of coding. I am now employed (after only spending a few weeks in the active job hunt) making nearly double what my previous salary was.

Fullstack can open the door to a new exciting and challenging career in tech. But, only if you are truly ready. Get your game face on and get what you're after.

• Julia • Student

I attended Bootcamp Prep in a week and had a very positive experience. The class definitely moved fast and covered a lot, but not superficially--a good introduction to the basics of JavaScript, I felt. Using a concept in an exercise right after it had been introducted in lecture helped to reinforce it, and the exercises were a thorough mental workout without being impossible, especially with teaching fellows who were mostly very patient, helpful, and generous with their time. I would recommend this course for a quick, intense JS intro, whether or not you are considering applying to an immersive bootcamp afterwards.

• Michael Bush • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

One year and two days ago, I started Fullstack's free online Javascript Jumpstart course, to see whether I might like coding enough to attend a bootcamp (I had a tiny bit of programming experience in C++, almost 20 years ago). I completed Fullstack's Immersive program at the end of August, and I just signed my first job offer before the holidays, on 12/18. So it took 3-1/2 months of (intense) job-hunting to get a job afterward. (I wouldn't have guessed, but apparently there's lots of hiring before the holidays).

I'd spent the past 11 years in non-profit bicycle shops, fixing bikes and mentoring kids. I have small-business management experience, but no real tech experience to speak of.

I'm putting this in here, because it's something I was concerned about going into all this: I'll be 40 years-old in May, I have a 2-year-old, and my wife works full-time, so I was worried both about: (1) ageism in the industry, and (2) my ability to complete the coursework given family responsibilities and time constraints.

The Fullstack Curriculum is excellent, and the staff is supportive and sensitive to people's needs. It's important to ask for help when you need it, and I did so.

It's a ton of work, and a lot of time. It's hard, and stressful, and draining. The second half of the curriculum, which is project-based, and team-based, is still a ton of work, but becomes more energizing and exciting, if you like building things anyway.

One person in our cohort didn't make it through. It was clear to me that he did not anticipate the work and focus that would be involved.

I had a good experience and would recommend it, and apparently there's still a demand for developers, because I just got hired.

• Ozal Khan • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before Fullstack I spend much of my time learning code in a less efficient manner. Thanks to the WDF program I was given direction, learned how teach myself better, and developed my skills. This was a greate experience and I highly recommend it to those interested in tech.

• Software engineer
    - 12/15/2018
    Rui Yang • Student

I just finished the 17-week immersive program at Fullstack Academy of Code and this was one of the best experience of my life. If you are looking for a boot-camp to kickstart the career as a software engineer,  I couldn't recommend Fullstack more!

First of all, the academic structure, curriculums, and outcomes were top-notch. Fullstack adjusts the curriculums often based on the trends of the tech industry to make sure the materials taught are not obsolete and the students are fully prepared for becoming software engineers. In addition, the students' voices are always being heard. There are multiple channels that we can leave feedback and suggestions. Fullstack takes the feedback very seriously so they can improve the program and students' experience.

Secondly, Fullstack has great instructors who are extremely passionate and talented. The three instructors assigned to my cohort(shout out to Geoff, John, and Dakota) are very knowledgeable and helpful. Every lecture is well planned and delivered, and the guidance they provided are precious. Thanks to them,  I learned and accomplished so much during the short period of time.

Thirdly,  Fullstack has very good career success support. During the senior phase, students will have on campus counselors and remote counselor to give them guidance on writing the resume, perfecting Linkedin profile and interviewing practice. If students utilize all the career coaching service Fullstack provided during the senior phase and after graduation, they should be very well prepared for job searching after graduation. Besides, the career success team often hosting alumni panel talks and tech talks, which are very helpful for students to expand their horizons and learn the experiences and tips from people working in the industry.

The tuition is not cheap and the program is very challenging. But the friends I've made and the knowledge and skills I've learned definitely well worth the time and money

• Kevin • Software Engineer • Graduate

There is no way to underestimate how big of a positive impact completing Fullstack's Software Engineering Immersive program has had on my career. It was nothing short of a life changing experience.

The program not only brings new developers up to speed on highly in demand skills and technologies but the challenging fast paced curriculum also teaches students how to learn new things on the fly, which in my opinion is a one of the most important skills to learn as a new software developer. Also by keeping the curriculum entirely in the world of Javascript (instead of teaching separate technologies for different parts of the software stack) Fullstack’s instructors are able to touch on more advanced topics pertaining to software design and students are able to create more advanced projects which make their portfolios look that much more attractive to employers. By getting really good at one language Fullstack graduates can realistically compete in the job market with recent CS grads.

Not only is the Fullstack curriculum top notch but the career services provided at the end of the program played a critical role in me landing an offer at a Fortune 50 company just weeks after graduating. First every student had several one on one sessions with career coaches to discuss resumes, interview questions and overall career goals. These sessions give students a head start on the job hunt process and help make looking for a job way less intimidating by giving students a strong idea of what hiring companies are looking for. Also at the end of the program Fullstack will invite hiring managers to campus to meet in person with students. Many of my classmates were invited back for second round interviews with these managers and several even received offers. Good offers from really cool companies.

If you are serious about breaking into software development and you are willing to put in the work, Fullstack will get you to where you want to be faster than any other route.

• Ozlem Niksch • Grace Hopper Student • Student

Fullstack Academy's Bootcamp Preparation Classes are great. I didn't have any knowledge about any sort of programming language, and this course is just perfect for beginners. When you sign up, you have access to lots of videos and coding challenges, which is definitely giving you all essential points of JavaScript. I attended one-week Bootcamp prep class in NYC campus, and I am a Grace Hopper student now, so they really prepare you for your Bootcamp path. Instructors are so helpful and explain the subjects clearly.