flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.66

all (477) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (149) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $17,000, DC $15,000
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $20,000, DC $18,000
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000; Chicago, Houston, Seattle: $15,000;
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000; Part-Time Course: $15,000; Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000 NYC and SF: $17,000

• Pavel Beletsky  User Photo
    Pavel Beletsky • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    They won't do the job for you, you need to work hard on your own, but if you know what you want, go for it! I met a lot of interesting people and gained a ton of priceless experience. For 15 weeks I learned more then I've tried to learn online after work for 3 years. Flatiron school is not the only option, but it was my choice and I don't regret it.
  • Bobby W.  User Photo
    Bobby W. • Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 15 week Data Science immersive course. The entire program was online due to COVID but I really enjoyed all aspects of the course. The skills and tools I learned helped me land a job within a month after graduating. I definitely recommend this program as a jumpstart on a new career. Instructors, coaches, and all support staff were extremely helpful and the career services support was great!
  • Lili R  User Photo
    Lili R • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had the honor of having amazing instructors throughout my time at Flatiron. They were interactive and made sure we understood the material before moving forward. My instructors and coach went above and beyond to provide us with resources to help us better understand the material and learn beyond the curriculum. They were all approachable and were my biggest cheerleaders when I had self-doubt. They were always willing to help out when we had problems and never told us the answer but rather further cultivated our problem-solving skills and guided us toward potential answers.
    My only feedback would be with some of the labs in the curriculum. Some lessons we read were confusing so I think it would be good to update the online curriculum more consistently. They also recently added some Data Structures and Algorithms material for additional reading, but I think it would have helped more learning some of it during the bootcamp instead of learning stuff like Sinatra or doing group discussions for example.
    I'm also thankful for the Career Services team at Flatiron. A lot of the interviews I have gotten are thanks to their efforts. I think they do a good job of establishing relationships with companies. My career coach is also amazing. I have weekly meetings with her to see where I'm at in the job search process and how I can improve my process.
    Overall I am grateful for the experience and grateful for my instructors and the Career Services/Career Coach.
  • Matthew Sedlacek  User Photo
    Matthew Sedlacek • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I cannot say enough great things about my Flatiron experience. The instructors and staff at Flatiron are top-notch and genuinely care about the success of their students. The curriculum consists of 5 mods (Ruby, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, React, and a Final Project). Each mod teaches very relevant skills in the Software Engineering industry. Moreover, in my job search, I found many opportunities where my new skills were often in the required or preferred skills section of job descriptions. Being a Flatiron student requires dedication and hard work, but I promise it’s absolutely worth it! Flatiron also has adapted to virtual learning exceptionally well and creates a strong community among cohorts. I developed strong connections to my cohort mates and have worked with many of them on projects post-graduation. Speaking of post-graduation, Flatiron offers individualized weekly career counseling that has been invaluable during my job search.
  • Stephen Anderson  User Photo
    Stephen Anderson • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I couldn't recommend Flatiron School enough! It's a big investment and it is far from easy, but you come out ready to take on the world of Software Engineering with knowledge, skills, projects,  a resume, and everything else that you could need.
  • Rita  User Photo
    Rita • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from Flatiron School's software engineering immersive program in December 2020.  Due to pandemic the program transitioned from on-campus to remote learning. We had to be on Zoom every day 9 to 6.  Our day would start with a group discussion summarizing yesterdays lessons, we would then move on to pair-programming, then there would be a lecture and then we would finish the day with working on labs.
    I came to the bootcamp with zero programing knowledge and in four months graduated as a full-stack developer totally confident in what I've learnt. Honestly I was a bit skeptical before I've started this program, I couldn't understand how one can learn so much in such a short time. But the program is super intense and the curriculum requires you to learn and practice new concepts every single day. Every new skill you are taught comes with it's own labs which require you to use the skill until it becomes second nature. I like that Flatiron teaches you not only specific languages and frameworks, but they teach you how to learn, which is a great skill to have in life in general and certainly an important skill for a software developer.
    A word about  instructors; the instructors we had were top-notch, super knowledgeable and helpful, and could explain complex, unfamiliar technical concepts in a way which anyone could understand. Our instructors were super supportive and they motivated us to keep going. The school's support does not end at graduation. Everyone is assigned a career coach who supports you for next 6 months and helps you during your job search.

• Tiffany  User Photo
    Tiffany • Student Verified via GitHub
    I want to preface this by saying I have no experience with other campuses, but I can speak confidently about my experience at Flatiron in Denver, CO.

With some trepidation, I enrolled in September 2020. It is the best decision I could've made -- do you enjoy learning and aren't afraid to ask questions? Do you like to engage in theory and practice? Do you want to be taught how to learn effectively so you can apply to new languages you want to learn in the future? Do you want to join an incredibly diverse community full of supportive and caring individuals? This place is for you.
  • Joseph Pyram  User Photo
    Joseph Pyram • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Flatiron School is the best coding Bootcamp ever!
    If you do your part, you won't regret it!

In the fall of 2019, I enrolled in their full-stack Software Engineering program. I attended their Brooklyn campus in Dumbo. They taught us how to build cutting-edge, full-fledged applications using Ruby, Ruby-on-Rails, JavaScript, React, and Redux. By the time I was ready to graduate, I was able to build a fully functional, full-stack application!

It was a very challenging experience, but very rewarding at the same time! Every 2 weeks you have to learn a new programming language, pass a code challenge, and build an application solo or as a team. There's a lot to learn in a very short time, however, they give you plenty of exercises and projects to gain a practical understanding of what you learn. At times, you have to do assignments alone, or in pairs. The school also has a lot of fun group activities that foster teamwork and camaraderie.

It was an overall great experience that pushed me to grow not only intellectually, but also as a person! I highly recommend going to Flatiron School!

The curriculum is very rigorous! Here's a breakdown of the process you go through in the immersive SE program:
    - 1st week, you learn Ruby
    - You're given a ton of assignments to do
    - 2nd week, you take a code challenge to test your understanding
    - - If you pass, you get to do a group project that you can present to your whole class. Very fun experience!
    - - If you fail, you have to do a solo project that ends up being scrutinized and you're grilled by 2-3 instructors in a room. Very stressful experience!
    - 3rd week, is for the presentation of the solo or group project.
    - - If you fail the solo project, you can't continue the program in-person, you have to continue the program online at your own pace.
    - - You technically can't fail the solo project, because you already passed the code challenge. Bear in mind that those projects will end up in your portfolio after graduation, so it's in your best interest to have great projects, whether you did the solo or group project.
    - The cycle repeats itself for Ruby-on-Rails, then JavaScript, then React, and finally Redux. Every 3 weeks you learn something new, culminating in a project where you apply those skills.
    - The last 3 weeks are for your capstone project that incorporates everything you learned from the beginning to the end of your time there. You have to learn at least 2 new technologies (tools, frameworks, plug-in, etc) on your own and add them to your project. It's a fun, stressful, and rewarding experience!
    - The very last week consists of you presenting your project to the entire floor of Software Engineering students. Many alumni come through to see your projects. Sometimes hiring managers also attend.
    - The last day is graduation day, the saddest day you'll experience on campus :(

Important: For the immersive SE program, code challenges are not graded! You're evaluated based on your understanding of the subjects, not your grade. They assess your understanding from the mistakes, bugs, or incompleteness of your code or answers to the questions.

I found the instructors to be very knowledgeable of the subjects. They also were funny, witty, and approachable. You can talk to them about personal issues you may be going through and find them to be very understanding. All the instructors and coaches I had were AWESOME! They must have a very good selection process for hiring them. Most instructors are actually former students that become coaches, then instructors themselves. From my understanding, they're contracted for a year or two after which they have to leave to pave the way for the next set of student alumni.

After graduation, you're assigned a career coach, with whom you meet every week for the next six months or until you get a job. If you signed up for an Income Share Agreement (ISA), then you don't have to pay the tuition until you find a job, after which a percentage of your salary goes towards paying them back. The contract you sign guarantees that you'll find a job within 6 months, if you don't, then you don't have to pay them. As part of your money-back guarantee (MBG) agreement, you have to meet with your coach once a week, establish at least 8 professional connections or contacts, write a blog, and have at least 5 GitHub contributions (aka 815). Failure to do so results in voiding your MBG contract, meaning that you have to pay the tuition amount even if you don't find a job. In other words, failing to meet any of the weekly 815 obligations means that you will have to pay them even if you don't get a job in 6 months! This is very important to understand and stay on top of!

They're affiliated with companies that hire bootcamp graduates. They have a unit called Employee Partnerships (EP) that send you jobs that they believe match your qualifications. 95 percent of all interviews, code assessments I had were through EP. They're a valuable asset in your job search!

I personally had a very good coach! She gave me great advice and guidance on how to maximize my results for getting a job. I did my 815 as best as possible, attended virtual (due to covid) conferences, lectures, meetings, book clubs, study groups, etc. I made some great connections along the way. I finally found a job via EP, three and a half months after declaring my job search date. I found all of their claims to be true and I'm excited to start a new career as a software engineer! If you choose Flatiron School to start a career in software engineering, you won't be disappointed so long as you do your part in fulfilling all of the obligations that are asked of you!

Best wishes!
    - JP
  • Scott S.  User Photo
    Scott S. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
     I attended Flatiron School's full-stack software engineering immersive program from May-August in 2020 at the Denver campus remotely. The Denver instructional staff is top-notch and extremely knowledgable. They have created an extremely positive educational environment and welcoming campus culture. They don't make you pay $ to repeat learning Modules and they don't grade your projects which allows you the freedom to develop whatever interests you in each learning Mod. They cater to everyone's learning needs and let you choose the lessons each day depending on what you have questions on and what you are interested in learning more about. The Learn.co labs and coursework is also very well done and Flatiron School helps you create an extremely active GitHub profile and set you up well for professional opportunities. Multiple individuals from my cohort as well cohorts in front of mine and behind mine were able to get software engineering jobs just 1-2 months post program. I would definitely recommend Flatiron School Denver to anyone looking for a positive bootcamp experience and great career services.
  • Rianna Cleary  User Photo
    Rianna Cleary • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Flatiron School helped me develop my engineering skills due to their daily deadlines, constant pair-programming, and their lessons on working autonomously. I was a newbie to coding when I started the program so I was suffering from major imposter syndrome, but despite that, every single person in their staff made me feel so comfortable and provided me with guidance and positivity throughout the whole program. Being in this program also taught me how to learn and be more independent in terms of making my own decisions, not being afraid to try different solutions out, etc. After I graduated, my career coach helped me so much along the way and gave 100% in everything she did for me. I was awful at reaching out to random people/networking in general, but with her advice and applying different techniques, it became really easy and way less nerve-wracking! I am beyond grateful to everyone that contributed to my growth at this school, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to dive into a coding boot camp!
  • Brandon Williams  User Photo
    Brandon Williams • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

MY EXPERIENCE AT FLATIRON (JULY 2020)

Full Time Software Engineering

I would not recommend Flatiron to anyone, period.

My Student/Admissions Rep had terrible communication skills (which is not acceptable) and would take days and days to answer 1 email after asking again after 2 or 3 days and then CC'ing the general info@flatiron email to try to get an answer. This went on the entire 3 months of correspondence leading up to the class and even after, when I tried to switch to Self-Paced (more on that later). I voiced this concern to the Senior Manager of Admissions and Enrollment, Marquise Martin, after my Student rep emailed me (for the first time to tell me) at 2 PM that my Enrollment Agreement had to be signed THAT NIGHT. I was literally in the middle of driving a 26' Uhaul truck full of my possessions with my car on a tow dolly on the back driving halfway across the country when I saw the email later that afternoon. Marquise at first seemed interested in my concerns only to quickly brush them aside and just say sorry that I have concerns. (The great customer service continues) I feel for you if you get Tiwanna Hamilton as an Admissions/Student Rep, she seems unorganized and lacks responsiveness and the communication skills needed to be a Rep.

They have what's called a First Mile, which is just your first 2 weeks of school, and it has requirements to complete before time is up or you fail and have to be placed in the next Cohort (if it's your 1st time failing). Unfortunately, due to my wife contracting the Coronavirus, that left me beginning my First Mile while taking care of her and our 3 kids. This caused me to get behind, so behind that I spent days on Iterations and had to ask a Teacher's Assistant (TA) for help on every lab. By the time I got it, I was out of time to complete the rest of the curriculum.

The curriculum is a joke. I am not exaggerating when I say it is a few paragraphs, sometimes with a video, as the lesson. The videos are poor quality, it just shows a screen capture and the narration sounds like it was recorded on a laptop mic from 2008. To say it's poor quality is an understatement. The curriculum, more often than not, does not teach you how to do what they then ask you to do in their labs, which, as you can imagine, makes things very difficult. (Why did you guys wait until after iterations for ANY code-alongs??) You will either be Googling Ruby syntax to try to piece together the code yourself from Quora, or you'll be copying/pasting former student's code from repl.it, or asking a Teacher's Assistant to help walk you through it. Though others were offered help via screen share, this was not offered to me until 3 days before the First Mile ended. (I didn't even know it was an option) Most of the TAs are not great at teaching, they were not skilled at breaking things down in a simple-to-understand manner. This made (most of) them almost useless.

My instructor, Annabel Wilmerding, was a former (2018) Flatiron student (her only coding education and experience, apparently), now teaching her first Cohort with absolutely (apparently) zero experience coding outside of Flatiron. This led to many confusing Lab demos where she would go 'chasing rabbits' that weren't helpful, having students correct her and ultimately made the videos of little help. Call me crazy, but I kind of want someone who has actually coded for companies outside of the Flatiron school bubble, teaching others how to code for the first time. She was a nice person. However, according to Flatiron instructors are supposed to assist students via Slack. The entire 2 weeks, she helped 0 students via Slack. She ONLY posted once a day in Slack, a morning update with how many assignments should be completed by the end of day and what they are called. That was the extent of the "Instruction" at Flatiron. I voiced this concern to Tana Glenn at Flatiron (not sure what she does because her email signature doesn't say and neither did she), which disregarded my experience for a canned response about methods for getting help with curriculum. Again, see lack of customer service skills and poor communication.

Upon not completing the First Mile, my instructor Annabel contacted me about whether I wanted to continue with the program and be put into another Cohort or withdraw and receive a full refund. I was confused as to why your instructor, especially a now former instructor, would be responsible for this part. It seems like Tana or even the Admissions rep should be responsible for handling all of this. Regardless, I emailed Tana and asked her when the next Cohort would be, only to be told that she didn't know, but that it could be as early as mid-late August or early September, an entire month to 2 months later. Not being satisfied with this huge of a delay, I asked if I could switch to Self-Paced. That way I could pickup where I left off, I still got TA support, didn't have a useless Instructor, saved $6k versus Full Time and might could even still finish on time as the original Full Time program as I wanted. She said it was against policy to allow me to switch. I asked if I could withdraw and reapply for the Self-Paced one instead and she said yes, but it could take weeks to be accepted again (no kidding with Tiwanna as a Rep), trying to force me into staying Full Time at the $15k. So I withdrew and reapplied 3 days later. I was told by Hannah M. I would be contacted by "finance" to discuss the refund and everything.

I withdrew July 22nd, it's been weeks now and I still have not heard anything from "finance." I had to email Hannah and ask about whether I would receive my $500 seat deposit back, whether they tell Climb Credit or I do, whether they refund Climb Credit or me for me to pay them back. (Again, see poor communication skills) I wrote her on Aug 5th asking for an update regarding finance or Climb and still haven't received a response after weeks now.

Then I receive and correspond to Tiwanna again as she (much to my utter disappointment) is assigned again as my Admissions Rep for my July 25th application, it went like this:

"Jul 29 @ 12p, me to Flatiron: Hi, I applied last week (Jul 24) and haven't heard anything back.

Jul 30 @ 9a, Tiwanna: Did you previously withdraw from the program?

<<Do they not communicate with each other??>>

Jul 30 @ 9a, me: Yes.

Jul 31 @ 2p, me: Hoping to hear back about my application before the weekend.

Aug 3 @ 10a, Tiwanna: It is our understanding that you recently withdrew from the program.

<<Um, duh, we just stated that, it's like she's implying something here but won't communicate what it is she's implying.>>

Aug 3 @ 10a, me: Yes, I withdrew from the full time program after not completing the curriculum within the First Mile allotted time. I am re-applying for the self-paced program since I was not permitted to switch to self-paced.

Aug 5 @ 10a, me to Tiwanna and info@flatiron since she wouldn't respond: Can I please hear back about this? It's been almost 2 weeks since I applied.

Aug 7 (FRIDAY) @ 5:00p (she waited until close), Tiwanna: Appreciate the follow up.

At this time we have decided not to proceed with your enrollment in the self-paced program."

Imagine my surprise. I guess they are doing well enough that they don't want $9,600 (they don't even refund it because it's self paced so they are literally just butthurt because I didn't submit to their greedy Policy for preventing students from switching Paces based off of what the student needs). Flatiron is not interested in your success, they are not interested in your best interest, they don't care if you or your spouse have had the Coronavirus and needed to switch paces because of it. They just want your $15k+ and nothing less.

Flatiron has switched to entirely online due to the COVID panic generated by the government and media. However, they have not provided an equivalent product to the Immersive experience and yet want to charge the exact same price. They have claimed to do just such a thing, which makes them dishonest and unethical.

Having used Treehouse for a couple of years, Flatiron's curriculum is pathetic compared to Treehouse, leaps and bounds in terms of video production and instruction quality. They are equal in educational support. Treehouse is $25/month.

TL;DR: Tiwanna sucks, as does the rest of the staff have poor communication and slow responsiveness and there is zero accountability for the staff, the instructor graduated Flatiron and started teaching others, they won't let you swap Full Time to Self Paced, curriculum is basically $15k to Google search to pass the Labs that they don't teach you how to do.

How Flatiron can sleep at night charging $15,000 for this pile of junk that they call a school is beyond me. Terrible staff, horrible curriculum, overpriced Google searching for what they call an "education," and the worst part is they just literally don't care about the students.
    Response From: Eileen Doll of Flatiron School
    Title: Director of Online Programs
    Friday, Aug 28 2020
    Hi Brandon, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry that it wasn’t up to the standard that we strive for. Our Admissions Representatives, Instructors, Technical Coaches, Educational Coaches, and Career Coaches work together to support each of our students from writing their first line of code all the way through to landing a job. It sounds like we could have communicated with you better each step of the way, particularly regarding your application to our Self Paced program. We’ll reach out to you directly to discuss the Self Paced program and we apologize for the delay and confusion we have created on our end.

We're incredibly proud of our grads and our outcomes, but are always striving to make Flatiron School even better. I’ve shared your feedback with the teams you’ve mentioned so that we can make immediate improvements. If you'd like to speak directly or in any more detail, please always feel free to e-mail me directly at eileen.doll@flatironschool.com.

• Laura  User Photo
    Laura • Cohort Lead, Online Software Engineering Verified via GitHub
    Enrolling in the Flatiron School boot camp was probably the best decision I've made, both financially and personally. The boot camp does cost a fair amount of money, but now I'm making way more than I would've before and earlier than if I had gone the self-paced route. I originally wanted to pursue teaching (high school English), but the education field requires a lot of work to get into for very low pay and not a ton of support. Pretty shortly after graduating, I landed a role as a Cohort Lead at Flatiron. So now I'm able to teach and code while also being on track to pay off my ISA easily. I also know plenty of others who have graduated before and after me who have landed roles at major companies like Amazon and Shopify despite even COVID-19. Overall, the best aspect of Flatiron is the community. My cohort lead and career coach both went above and beyond to help me develop my skills and land a job. Beyond that, everyone I worked with - from admissions to education to career services to alumni, and even now, the hiring and HR teams - have been absolutely wonderful. The people working at Flatiron truly want everyone who enters the boot camp to leave with a job they love and that supports them, and they work above and beyond their job responsibilities to try to get you there. Some people take longer than others, but from what I've seen personally from other cohort mates is that if you are determined/able to put the work in and love to code, you will finish the program with the skills to build beautiful and functional full-stack applications from scratch.
  • Megan Mei  User Photo
    Megan Mei • Jr. UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience with Flatiron is overall positive. I really enjoyed the course curriculum and the structure of course (6week online individual work, 6week online group work, 5 weeks in-person group work, 4 weeks client work, 3 weeks portfolio.)

From my observation, Flatiron tends to hire two types of instructors - 1) notorious professors from well-known universities and 2) motivated, smart Bootcamp grads who have been in the workforce for 1-3 years.
    I would say I got really lucky and had the chance to work with some great lead instructors and supporting instructors (mostly the ladder-type mentioned above.) who are very dedicated to helping students succeed and would put in extra effort and time to help you build great portfolio pieces.
    Not to say the professors are bad but there is a huge difference between teaching at a University and teaching at a Bootcamp. Instructors are a huge part of this learning experience, so I would say I got pretty lucky because the cohort before me and after me both had really bad experience.
    PS: also a side note: most of the instructors I worked with had already left Flatiron, so I can't speak to the new instructors.

You get assigned a career coach, who you would meet with every week to give you advice and new directions. There is also the Employment Partnership team, who is supposedly setting up interviews for you. (an add on to your own career search)
    Career coaches are great resources for reviewing resumes, portfolios, or simply a source of motivation.

Environment + Resources
    Flatiron is owned by WeWork, so we had really great resources there. Even before our in-person phase started, my team and I worked at WeWork to collaborate. (This was before COVID as well)
    We also received course material to the UI track after we have completed the course. There are a lot of resources available at Flatiron, I think it is a great plus.

Client Work
    I don't know of a lot of boot camps that sets you up for client work (internship basically.) This is something that really helped with my job search - being able to say I have had the opp to work with real clients, projects, engineers? etc.
    Although I have to say, my client was super flaky and we did the whole project without much communication with them. It still works experience, right?

Overall
    I think Flatiron makes some excellent hires and some terrible ones in all teams and fields (not much in-betweens...) and there is no good protocols in place to ensure experience. The curriculum is great. One thing for sure is that Flatiron really is trying to find you a job, with the resources they provide and the ISA options, etc. There are some really smart people working here to help you.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here