flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Atlanta, Austin, Brooklyn, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, London, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Sydney, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, Brooklyn, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School offers a money-back guarantee for their Software Engineering, Data Science, and Cybersecurity programs. If students don’t get a qualifying job offer within six months of graduation, they can get their money back (see eligibility at flatironschool.com/terms). Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and employer introductions to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (447) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (140) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    Options vary by location:
    NYC: ISAs available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $17,000, DC $15,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School’s Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we’ll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $20,000, DC $18,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Cybersecurity Engineering includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000; Chicago, Houston, Seattle: $15,000;
    Refund / GuaranteeYes. Flatiron
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Installment plan available. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Online Cybersecurity Analytics includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms).
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Online Data Science Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000; Part-Time Course: $15,000; Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Online Software Engineering Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington, Brooklyn
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000 NYC and SF: $17,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Software Engineering Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)

• Jessie Huff  User Photo
    Jessie Huff • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I did the online Full Stack Web Development program at the Flatiron School, and like any online program, it had its positives and negatives. On the positive side, I do think that the school and the instructors genuinely care about the students and helping them as much as possible. The focus on labs, projects, and practical application was a good approach though I'm sure that there are ways to improve the currculum which I believe they regularly do. While taking the course, they released a number of additonal lessons, edited lessons, etc. It felt like they were constantly trying to stay current and improve what was there. Getting help on the labs were relatively easy through the "Ask a Question" portal, and they did their best to encourage collaboration and helping others. The projects they had me do were immensely helpful in actually understanding the concepts, and they gave me a great portfolio to use when looking for a job. Employers constantly asked about these projects, and they made me feel more confident in my abilities.

However, like other students have already said, it is what you make of it, especially with online programs. It is self taught and self led so that has its own set of challenges. You definitely have to be self motivated so if that is something that you struggle with, you may want to do an in-person class setting. Another area of weakness they had was support for the projects which I've actually talked with them about in trying to improve for the future. When I went through the program, there was only one instructor for each section project so one person had to handle anyone who was currently working on that project which made it nearly impossible to get much help from them during the project. Some instructors were extremely helpful, and I had one that was borderline nonexistent in terms of responsiveness. Hopefully they'll fix that in the future and make it a little easier to get help when that channel fails during projects. There were study groups that we could attend, but they were meant to be led by students' questions and sometimes that was a struggle (sometimes we didn't know what questions to ask- we just weren't as comfortable with that particularly subject material). I do think they've been extremely open to feedback though, and I've had multiple people talk to me about how they can improve and how Flatiron can improve.

In terms of after the course, I thought my career coach was excellent. The coaching I got completely changed my perspective on networking, and I just had a coworker call me a "master networker" because of the things I did with Flatiron after graduation. I was always open with my coach about the ups and downs of job hunting, and I really feel like I was given the push I needed to put in the work and find an absolutely incredible job. (They also helped me draft anything I was nervous about sending ahead of time, and they help you practice with mock interviews.) Some days I can't believe that I work where I do, and I wouldn't be here without Flatiron so I'm pretty grateful. I don't know if you'd get quite as lucky as I did with my awesome career coach, but when my first coach ended up leaving (her husband got a job across the country), my next coach was just as great so I'm pretty confident that they have incredible career coaches if you're willing to work with them and be open.

Overall, the program has its ups and downs, but it led me to where I am now, so for that, I'm really grateful that I went to the Flatiron School.

• Felipe Bz  User Photo
    Felipe Bz • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I joined Flatiron School SE track with much enthusiasm. I found the instructors to be knowledgeable and willing to help you if you had questions. I completed the program on a fast track (faster than my cohort) and have my portfolio finished with top notch projects.

The curriculum (2019-2020) seemed a bit too basic, repetitive tasks and exercises. I did raise the issue of lessons even repeating themselves and even grammatical errors/bugs in them. It also did not cover crucial software engineering concepts such as data structures and algorithms. Also the stack with a heavy focus on Ruby is a bit outdated and only cover modern frameworks in the last section.

My major issue was with career and student services. Student services is pretty much absent. I sent an email in the middle of my program and waited over a month to only get a templated response. Career services people are willing to help you and get to the next level but the process relies on a pretty outdated structure with spreadsheets and you're required to do a lot of cold outreaching.

As a graduate of the software engineering program, and with a background in education I felt Flatiron School is a bit overrated these days. In the past it could've been in the forefront of technology and innovation. Considering the outdated/too basic curriculum, non-responsive student services and lack of meaningful support from career services I think it needs a major overhaul to keep up with current job and tech trends.
  • JK  User Photo
    JK • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I had a fantastic experience with Flatiron School. The program enabled me to get a data science job that ticked all my boxes. I was able to make a dramatic career transition (during a pandemic, no less!) from academia/non-profits to tech thanks to this program.

Background: When I was applying to bootcamps, I already had a PhD (in a humanities discipline) and lots of data science and programming tutorials under my belt. I chose Flatiron School because the curriculum looked good, the program was only 5 months when done full-time, and they offered an income share agreement as a payment option.

Getting in: First I had a call with a representative to assess my interest and experience in data science. Then I got access to some preparatory materials that included basic Python and a little bit of calculus. Once these were done, I had a technical interview with a Flatiron School instructor, consisting of a few basic programming questions and a conversation about some math/calculus concepts. The preparatory materials were enough to help me be ready for this interview, but the real point of the interview is to assess whether you can learn quickly and take feedback/correction well. After this, I was accepted to the program and chose my start date.

The program: For the duration of the program, I had one instructor, an "educational coach" (to help with motivation, study skills, etc.) and a cohort of fellow bootcampers. We spent four hours per week in live lecture/office hours, and I had two half-hour one-on-ones with my instructor each week, too. My cohort had its own Slack channel where we could ask the instructor or each other questions and do daily standups. Here's a list of topics we covered (not exhaustive):

• General Python programming, with particular focus on NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib
    • Git, GitHub, and principles of version control
    • Basics of data visualization
    • Regression (linear, logistic, multiple linear, polynomial, etc.)
    • SQL and general principles of database design
    • Basics of object-oriented programming
    • APIs, web scraping, and working with JSON files
    • A broad survey of statistical topics, including combinatorics, permutations, distributions, central limit theorem, hypothesis testing, and Bayesian stats
    • Time series analysis
    • Basics of linear algebra
    • Survey of machine learning algorithms and techniques, including k nearest neighbors, decision trees, random forests and other ensemble methods, support vector machines, PCA, k means, and recommendation systems
    • A little introduction to Spark via PySpark
    • Basics of graph theory/network analysis
    • Basics of NLP
    • Survey of deep learning topics, including RNNs, CNNs, and transfer learning
    • A little intro to AWS and how to deploy a machine learning algorithm into production.

Near the end of the program, I also got access to a career prep curriculum, which contained readings and exercises relating to résumés, LinkedIn, networking, building a professional web presence, etc. Flatiron School recently added a post-bootcamp curriculum of extra stuff to study while job-searching, including more work with SQL, and intro to R, and some guidelines for making your projects look better on GitHub. I'm really glad they created these additional resources, since these are things I went out and studied on my own because they were important for my job search. Flatiron is constantly updating the curriculum, and students are welcome to submit suggestions or corrections to be addressed by the curriculum team.

An average day of bootcamp involved a lot of independent reading and work on the labs provided in the curriculum, interrupted by a lecture/group meeting with instructor and classmates to go over the material assigned for that day. This format was great for me because I learn better when I can focus on something on my own for a while and then have a chance to ask my questions and hear other people's questions, too. Each day's meeting covered a certain chunk of the curriculum, but there was a lot of flexibility to work ahead or take more time on something if I wanted. Although you could always spend more time on things, I found it was possible to complete each week's material to my own satisfaction in 40-45 hours on average.

Overall, the curriculum prepared me well for my job search. The projects I built during bootcamp were of a high enough quality that I could present them during job interviews. The capstone project is totally open-ended, so you can design it to show off skills relevant to the types of jobs that appeal to you. For each project, I had to do both a non-technical presentation and a code review with my instructor, and these experiences were extremely helpful once I started looking for a job. This is definitely one of the reasons to do a bootcamp rather than just studying on one's own. If someone I knew were looking for a bootcamp today, I would tell them to ask whether a program includes this kind of project work, since it's the best way to prepare for/show that you're prepared for real data science work.

Career services: My experience with career services at Flatiron definitely made the program worth the cost. As soon as I graduated, I started working with a career coach who helped me with my résumé, mock interviews, web presence, and general job search strategy. My coach was amazing, especially at keeping me motivated when the pandemic brought my job search to a screeching halt. It was really helpful to have someone to talk to each week about my job search, and she was super responsive to any questions I had about how to respond to e-mails, networking tactics, etc.

Highlights: The best parts of the bootcamp for me were my instructor, my career coach, and the projects I built.

Improvements: I would have liked to see a little more space in the curriculum given to ethics, maybe some case studies about practical applications of data ethics. There was a brief overview of data ethics in theory ("Hey, you should only make ethical use of people's personal information! There is bias in AI!"), but since this is an issue that affects all aspects of data science, it would be good to give it a little more weight.
  • Justin Davis  User Photo
    Justin Davis • Integration Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I graduated from the online self-paced software engineering program.  To me, Flatiron's strength is its support structure.  The school bends over backwards to provide multiple channels of support.  I was originally slated to join the in person program in Seattle, but switched to the online program because it made more sense with my family.  I was nervous about a lack of support structure in the online program, but that proved far from the case.

There was an abundance of instructor and student led Zoom sessions, focused on relevant topics throughout, including open office hours.  The curriculum resides in Flatiron's online platform called Learn.  While in the platform, there is always the option of clicking the 'ask a question' button.  Questions are displayed to other students who can answer, but Flatiron also has instructors monitoring the questions.  You're awarded 'Karma' points for answering questions.  I only was able to answer two questions because the instructors were so quick and solid.  There are multiple slack channels monitored by section leaders, depending on your place in the program. Finally, you have your educational and career coaches.  Your coaches keep tabs on your progress, well being and ultimately job search.

Everyone I worked with at Flatiron was enthusiastic, supportive and enjoyable to work with.

The curriculum was a combination of reading, videos and test driven coding exercises.  The exercises followed a logical progression from programming basics to React/Redux frontends with Rails driven APIs.  The curriculum stressed principles and problem solving over recipes.

There were some video based walk-throughs that I was not a huge fan of, mostly because I'd rather read or work through problems.  But those were few and far between.  Most videos were recorded zoom sessions from previous cohorts.  Those were enjoyable, informative and even inspirational at times.

I experienced a few hiccups and inconsistencies in the Learn system along the way but nothing too catastrophic.  Early on I used the 'ask a question'  button a couple times and had it figured out in minutes.  Later on I could usually work around issues.  The cool thing about Learn is that it's built upon Github.  So you can dive into the code, troubleshoot and offer up suggestions via pull request.  This ensures a pretty healthy evolution.  Most of the problems I experienced were right after a version change.  Within a couple weeks the kinks were worked out pretty well.  That version switch was optional by the way.  I actually think the option to contribute to the health of the system is a pretty valuable learning experience.

Flatiron is owned by WeWork which started experiencing problems while I was in the program.  Flatiron did a great job of communicating as the issue emerged.  I did notice some instructor shuffling and maybe an increase in time to book project reviews.  But that was a matter of book a review maybe a few days out vs next day.  I felt Flatiron was dedicated to providing quality education and honoring their commitments.  If anything, I think the WeWork issue just slowed campus expansion.  It's worth keeping an eye on, but my sense is Flatiron is fairly independent and in control of their internal affairs.

During my time at Flatiron the COVID pandemic and protest in response to George Floyd's death emerged.  Folks at Flatiron did a fantastic job of communicating, supporting and adjusting to the uncertain times with heartfelt compassion.  The Flatiron family, both staff and students is diverse across all spectrums.  The school takes pride in its diversity, and is all the better for it.

Going into this program I had some experience coding, including a couple computer science classes in college, years ago.  My degree is in Forestry, so technical, but not rocket science.  My job leading up to this was pretty much 'the computer guy', including sys admin, configuration, help desk,  some scripting and low code development.  Before that, I was in EMS.  I'm an EMS instructor of several years, which informs my respect for Flatiron's staff.

I took this course to fill in gaps, refine my skill-set and land a full-time coding gig.  The curriculum was challenging but digestible.  The volume of material was significant. This is not a casual endeavor.  I juggled a full-time job and raising a toddler.  There were many late nights and dark times but Flatiron folks were there for me.

I did land a full-time gig before graduation, during the COVID lock down.  I kind of lucked out, I was finishing my final project and hadn't fully ramped my job search up yet.  The position was presented by my career coach, and seemed to be a good culture fit for me, so I applied.  I do live in Seattle, a tech hub.  The career coaching was informative, supportive and valuable.

Overall this was one of the better educational experiences of my life.  It just worked for me.  It was a good blend of prescriptive exercises, open ended portfolio work and support.  Flatiron folks just seem to care and are interested in your success.
  • Mike Diaz  User Photo
    Mike Diaz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I wasn't sure what to expect coming out of Flatiron School but I can now say that I have the skills to fully build and deploy web applications (if relatively simple ones). Beyond that, I am confident that I have the skills to learn what wasn't covered in the curriculum and keep up with the ever-changing world of technology. I am now more self-reliant and am a better learner, which makes a world of difference.
  • Fernando  User Photo
    Fernando • Data Analyst • Student Verified via GitHub
    I had a fantastic experience at Flatiron that ended up in me receiving two job offers two days apart, a month after my graduation! They provide the necessary structure and resources to ensure your success in this field. I agree with some reviews that you could self-teach this material, but that is true for everything. The value of this bootcamp relies on these critical elements:
    - Its structured and comprehensive data science curriculum,
    - Interaction with seasoned mentors (technical coaches) as you learn the material,
    - Vetted outside resources to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the content on your own,
    - Relevant projects to build your portfolio,
    - WeWork membership to have a space to study and network,
    - An educational coach that sees to your well-being,
    - A community of fellow students willing to lend a hand and share experiences,
    - A career coach that prepares you and guides you through your entire job search, and
    - Access to career events and employer partnerships.
    As you can see, you are not just paying for the material, which you could access for free in many ways. You are paying for an entire support network and a whole learning framework that, in the end, will increase your chances of success and minimize the time it takes to transition into this growing, lucrative, and exciting field.
  • Data Science
    - 3/6/2020
    Logan  User Photo
    Logan • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Being part of the first on-campus DS cohort came with its bumps, but that was to be expected.  Overall I really enjoyed my time at Flatiron and it prepared me to land an entry level DS role.  I would recommend learning a lot more SQL, because a lot of entry level jobs require a lot more than we learned.  I would highly recommend Flatiron to anyone looking to make a career change or better their DS skillset.
  • Alison  User Photo
    Alison • Product Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I just accepted an offer to my first UX JOB! I really would recommend this program but be aware.... you will need to hustle and work VERY hard to get a job, breaking into UX is no joke. That being said, Flatiron has given me all the tools to succeed: great curriculum, amazing instructors, awesome projects to feature in my portfolio (one is which with a real startup), and I can't speak highly enough about the career services. I highly recommend the in-person UX Design track.
  • Fahima Hyder  User Photo
    Fahima Hyder • Database analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I joined the inaugural Data Science part-time bootcamp in October 2018 and finished in September 2019. Brace yourself, the program is no joke. You will be banging your head on a desk for the next year. If at all possible, join the full-time program, you're learning a new language and it's important that you dedicate as much time to it as possible. However, if that's not possible for you (like myself) the part-time program is still great burt requires waaaaaayyyy more discipline as it is all online.

They provide you with a mentor/instructor, a life coach, and a wework membership. You might think having a life coach is silly but lemme tell you, I would've dropped out of the program without Katie McKenna's encouraging words throughout the program. My mentor. Jeff Herman, is the f***ing best. All of our 1:1 meetings were super helpful. He does a great job at explaining any piece of code that isn't making sense and then providing you with extra reading material so you can really lock it in.

Career services was also super helpful. They keep you on a track with a schedule and secure interviews for you that might otherwise be hard to get. I accepted an offer for a full-time job in under three months through a company that Flatiron School hooked me up with.

It's not all rainbows and daisies though. The nature of the tech industry is that you have to teach yourself to teach yourself. Don't expect anyone to hold your hands through this program. Expect to spend a lot of time on Stack Overflow and wondering why you're inflicting this type of torture on yourself. Reach out to your cohorts for support. Reach out to your mentors as often as you need. Getting through this program has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, but don't forget they're not kidding when they call it a 'bootcamp'. Good luck!

• Haley  User Photo
    Haley • Junior Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Flatiron School's online, full-time software engineering program without any prior coding experience. I completed the program on-time, in six months. I received a job offer after five weeks from my official job search start date!

Flatiron School's career services are amazing. My career coach was extremely helpful in reviewing my resume, talking through my job search strategy, providing constructive feedback, and giving me advice regarding salary negotiation. In addition, the job search prep lessons I was given access to upon graduation were extremely helpful and comprehensive. I highly recommend following the number of networking outreaches that Flatiron encourages you to do every week of your job search!

As an online student, I never felt isolated due to the various channels Flatiron provides to get involved in the community, including Slack and Zoom. It helped to have face-to-face interaction with people throughout the week via Zoom, including weekly standups with my cohort, bi-weekly lectures, and weekly one-on-ones with my technical coach. If you get stuck on a lab, you can ask a question on the Learn platform and receive prompt responses from technical coaches. The WeWork Hot Desk membership eased my transition from working in an office five days a week to being an online student.

Overall, the online curriculum was well done. The labs are designed to stretch your existing knowledge a bit further, which helps develop your problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills. I gave the curriculum 4/5 stars because it could be cleaned up a bit. For example, the order of the lessons seemed out of order at times. I noticed this mostly in the JavaScript and React/Redux sections.

Students have the opportunity to provide feedback about the curriculum, technical coaches, etc at the end of each section. I believe Flatiron takes this feedback to heart and is constantly trying to make improvements in order to provide the best learning experience.

I had a great experience as an online student at Flatiron School, and I would highly recommend it. Just be aware that it requires a lot of self-discipline, both during the program and the job search!

• Edward Beck  User Photo
    Edward Beck • Data Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    First and most importantly I started listening listening to the girls on the podcast 2 years ago and i loved listening to them. I was in the first DS cohort and it was pretty intense, i mean i only thought about DS for 14 months and i took about 5 days off where i didn't code or read code. I had a bachelor mathematics degree, that was getting a little stale and switched to a completely different field (environmental) however i had a job within two weeks after i had applied to 4 position. I also had 2 second in person interviews. My salary was increased substantially with the career change.
  • flatiron = worth it
    - 12/25/2019
    Matthew Parker  User Photo
    Matthew Parker • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

great instructor, good curriculum, lots of resources for graduates on the job hunt. Even though the program comes with a 6-month money-back guarantee if you don't get a job, it's not needed. With no prior experience I got a job after only 6 months on the job market.

• SAY NO TO FLATIRON
    - 12/16/2019
    Carlos  User Photo
    Carlos • Student Verified via GitHub

If your looking to self teach yourself and pay $15,000, then Flatiron is your school. If you want to learn the pure basics and then have to Google everything else, then say YES! Otherwise, this is school is an utter rip off. They don't have a plan, it is all lecture, and very little study time. You will end your day with daily challenges on topics you barely touched on. This is where Google comes in. You are told that in the real world, you will have to Google the answers so this is preparation. I say NO WAY! I am here to build a solid foundation and if I have to, research the harder bits. I am not about to GOOGLE the most basic tools of the trade. For that, I can stay home and take a less expensive route. APPLICANTS BE WARNED. Prepare yourself for an incredible bright future elsewhere.

Response From: Peter Barth of Flatiron School
    Title: Managing Director
    Tuesday, Jan 14 2020
    Hi Carlos - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take this feedback incredibly seriously, and we're sorry your experience was not what you expected. We work closely with our online and on-campus students to ensure they have the support they need from instructors, coaches, and community. Your experience is not what we want for any student.

We're incredibly proud of our graduates, our community, and our jobs placements, but are always striving to make Flatiron School even better. As we do, we'll be referring to this feedback. If you'd like to speak directly or in any more detail, please always feel free to e-mail me directly at peter.barth@flatironschool.com

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here