flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (492) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (153) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $18,900
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    Tuition PlansNYC, DC, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco - $16,900
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansPart-time and Full-time - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $16,900 Part-Time Course: $16,900 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansAustin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Seattle, DC, NYC, San Francisco - $16,900

I took the online full stack web development program and had a great experience.  I was brand new to coding when I enrolled and the program and now I can say that I am a full stack web developer! In addition to a great curriculum, the people at Flatiron are absolutely amazing.  I never felt alone and was always able to find the support I needed to get through the program.  From the education coaches to the technical coaches to the career coaches, everyone was friendly, encouraging and knowledgable.  I will forever be grateful to Flatiron!

• Anonymous • dropout • Student

Like many others, I was very captivated by the heavy marketing campaign Flatiron school brought to the British shores. I was also tempted by their offer of 50% off for women taking the course and the fact that I could do the course online while I kept working. I was chuffed to be accepted and felt very positive after completing the bootcamp prep.

However, after two months of the course I dropped out. These are my reasons.

The "Learn" IDE platform is simply not up to scratch. The teaching is essentially, read this, then do this exercise. Looking for pre-recorded lectures on the platform was not straightforward. In addition, the lectures that do exist often have poor audio, are waffling and in desperate need of editing. The main lecturer often talks in metaphors and figurative language which is just not at all helpful for beginners who need concrete examples.

Yes there are live lectures and workshops and other things you can join but if you don't live in America this is often impossible as they happen at 1, 2 or 3 am British time. These are often not recorded or are difficult to find.

When I questioned the quality of some of the teaching materials on the slack channels some of the responses I had included 'we are a startup' and other excuses like 'oh I just read the docs'. I'm sorry but even with 50% off tuition, the online course came to just under £600 quid a month. These excuses just simply aren't good enough. For this much money, students should expect real teaching and not be guided towards youtube and things that they can find themselves for free or cheap online.

The thing that I was grateful for from my experience was the fact that every exercise I did ended up on my person github and made me look extremely studious and productive. Also, I met some nice TAs online who were helpful and encouraging. However, getting to speak to one during acceptable British hours often took a long time.

I imagine that the Flatiron in-person course is what it says on the tin, but the equally expensive online course has a long way to go. If I could do it again, I wish someone had written this review for me to read and that I could have saved my hard earned money on other much better, much cheaper teaching materials.

Response From: Rebekah Rombom of Flatiron School
    Title: GM of Online Programs
    Tuesday, Apr 16 2019
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're incredibly disappointed that your experience has been different than what you expected — — that is absolutely not what we want for any student. We take this feedback very seriously, and will be referring to it as we strive to make Flatiron School even better.

If you'd like to speak directly or in any more detail, please always feel free to e-mail me directly at rebekah@flatironschool.com

Participated in the first Data Science cohort. It started off strong, but quickly fell apart after the first module, when the material shifted from standard coding techniques that were adapted from the webdev course to more data/math focused topics. Our teacher was underqualified to be teaching us Data Science, and we received essentially zero feedback on our coursework throughout the 15 week program. I honestly do not believe the cirriculum was ready for launch, it felt way too rushed. Numerous topics advertised as part of the course were skipped or rushed through. Some of the labs and lectures were riddled with errors, and often we were not provided lecture notes or videos as promised. The 3rd module consisted of watching youtube videos 50% of the time - didn't really need to pay $15k for that.

The career guidance was misleading, we were told our guidance counselor would be randomly selected, yet 10 of 12 students received the same coach. The career team always seemed like they placed their personal interests ahead of mine.

I enjoyed the culture of Flatiron School, and have nothing but the best to say about my classmates. I feel like the program was rushed, misadvertised, and did not really prepare me for a job in Data Science.

As an aside, I recommend actually sifting through these reviews before signing up - many of them are from people who have only completed the free bootcamp prep. I was asked to write a review before starting the class but refused because I thought that was misleading.

I am a CS grad who enrolled in Flatiron School’s Online Web Development Program. If your goal is to get an overview of Computer Science topics through this program, you’ll get that. But you will need to supplement your learning with material from elsewhere to really get grounded.

That said, the team at Flatiron School has done a really good job of building a web development program that can take a student from no programming at all to building real web applications. You will Always Be Coding. And, they continue to build and adapt the program as technologies change and students share their feedback. The community is great. Supportive TAs. Useful online Study Groups. You are never alone on this journey.

I will echo my peers in saying the “job or money back guarantee” requirements are quite rigorous. It’ll help if you live in or close to a populous area. Take the advice. It works. The career coaches really know their stuff and want grads to succeed. I am closer now to my goal of a thriving dev career than I’ve ever been and I owe Flatiron School huge thanks for that.

I was really pleased with how quick the process from applying to decision was. I heard back from my final technical interview within two days which I really appreciated for my own decision making. The bootcamp and interview prepwork available on learn.co was really fantastic and set me up well for the interview process. I am excited to get started with the coursework in january!
  • Anonymous • Applicant

For me, the prep curriculum gave me a bridge from non-coding to adopting an engineer's mindset. I have a market research background and this course was rigorous and fit well with my sense of curiosity and desire for challenge. The lessons provided a foundation of understanding followed by stretch excersies. I think there were some bugs in the practice problems, but trouble shooting with the other students on Flatiron's chat and with Flatiron advisors was super rewarding.

The coursework is very thorough and helpful. It really gets you prepared for the technical terms and skills you need before the course starts. I had a bit of a problem submitting my works, but the the instructors were very responsive and helpful when I ran into questions. Overall, I love the prep course!

• Anonymous • Applicant

This Bootcamp Preps you for admission to the "Data Science" course.

Basically it gave me an idea of what i would need to know before i took the plunge.

-- Basic Python, Plotting graphs etc.

-- Derivatives, linear equations, etc.

I was amazed with how powerful and easy it was to work with python, using open source libraries.

Also helped me brush up on Middle/high School math.

I did not need to interact with the instructors.

The piece missing was the instructions to setup python, which i was able to do search online easily.

You need to know how to interact with GIT to download solutions.

• Changed my life!
    - 9/22/2018

I simply had an amazing experience at the Flatiron School. I had recently graduated from an art school where I had developed a passion for programming. While I was able to pick up some fundamentals on my own, there was still a lot to know to be able to work in the industry. I had a lot of doubts that someone from a non-technical background would be able to land a job as a Software Engineer. Flatiron seems to be churning out a ton of great entry level engineers at an unbelievable pace.

My favorite thing about the program was the people. The backgrounds in my cohort seemed to be CS, engineering, finance, and art/music. I was pleased to meet a few other musicians had been admitted to the program. To my delight, the musicians in the cohort seemed to be some of the best programmers! I can honestly say that the people I met at Flatiron are some of the smartest people I've ever known. I definitely felt like the dumbest person in the room (this is a good thing) and I've heard people way smarter than I say this too.

The curriculum moved pretty fast. If you were able to get through the interview and prework process, you should be fine. The first few weeks were pretty stressful. "Bootcamp" is a truly apt name for a program like this. The program is stressful enough to warrant a weekly "Feelings Friday" where everybody sits around a circle and talks about their feelings. Towards the beginning of the program, there were a lot of feelings, but by the end, everybody seemed to have adjusted to the intensity, and gained confidence making the sessions much shorter. The most common feeling expressed was something along the lines of "yeah I have no idea what's going on, but I'm going to trust the process". The information can be complex and come at a pretty high velocity and it seems like most people don't completely understand after completing the readings and going through the labs. By the end of the module, everybody absorbs the information through a combination of the readings, lectures, pair programming labs, and projects. For me, I only actually learned the material by discussing it, so pair programming and projects ended up being the most valuable part of the curriculum for me.

After the program, Flatiron provides a huge amount of support. I met with my career coach weekly to share my progress and revel in my wins and mourn many losses. Be warned: the job hunt is not for the faint of heart! You're competing with everybody in your cohort, everybody in the other cohorts, everybody from the other programs in the city, and the sought after CS majors from elite universities. If you went to a great school or have a technical background, you will probably be fine. If not, you're most likely going to be an underdog. The business development team at Flatiron does an incredible job of setting up interviews with students. At one point, I was doing 3 interviews a week scheduled for me by BD. This was almost worth the price of the program itself. Every job gets thousands of resumes from Bootcamp grads and most of them look identical to employers. It's really hard to make it beyond the first stage so having the interviews set up for you is really nice. I ended up interviewing at amazing companies: JP Morgan, WeWork, BounceX and many many more. I eventually got an amazing job offer that came through BD.

Overall it was a great experience. I would highly recommend it to anybody who is willing to put in the hard work required before, during, and after the program.

• Awesome courses!
    - 9/11/2018
    Anonymous • tonyatapias@gmail.com • Applicant

I just finished the prep course for the Data Science bootcamp immersive. I had a great experience with their prep courses. They explained a duanting topic very easily and made it all very simple to understand. I particulary enjoyed how gradient descent was explained through real life examples. Their prep course was a lot of fun! Their simplification of daunting topics and their reputation to help you get started with your carear was the main factors I decided to apply for Flatiron School.

I found the prep for flatiron to be the reason why i applied and am going to attend. it was fun, engaging, in depth and the live help is crucial.

• Data Science Class
    - 8/28/2018

For context, I have just recently been accepted to the Flatiron Data Science class and have no background in coding at all. I have completed the data science bootcamp prep and about 2/3 of the other bootcamp prep class. As coding is new to me I had tried several online intro classes (datacamp, codeacademy, udemy) and the Learn.co online class Flatiron has was by far the best. The courses really explained not just what was going on in the classes but why it is occurring which is very helpful for me. Additionally, the very accessible Community tab was by the most amazing feature which allows you to ask questions about the specific course you are working on and actual tutors and other students respond within seconds (sometimes minutes, longest wait time was never longer than 5 minutes). The people who always responded helped me walk through the problem instead of just typing the code solution, an amazing feature for a free online class. Every conversation I had with any of the admissions team went amazing they were very open and informative and answered every question that came up. Lastly, my favorite part of Learn.co experience is that it wasn’t so formal, there are graphics and jokes and pictures that make it a little more fun as you go along instead of just pages and pages of text. I am very excited to start the class after completing the online courses and going through the interview process.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here