flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Atlanta, Austin, Brooklyn, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, London, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Sydney, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, Brooklyn, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School offers a money-back guarantee for their Software Engineering, Data Science, and Cybersecurity programs. If students don’t get a qualifying job offer within six months of graduation, they can get their money back (see eligibility at flatironschool.com/terms). Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and employer introductions to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (448) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (140) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    Options vary by location:
    NYC: ISAs available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $17,000, DC $15,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School’s Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we’ll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $20,000, DC $18,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Cybersecurity Engineering includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000; Chicago, Houston, Seattle: $15,000;
    Refund / GuaranteeYes. Flatiron
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Installment plan available. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Online Cybersecurity Analytics includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms).
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Online Data Science Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000; Part-Time Course: $15,000; Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Online Software Engineering Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington, Brooklyn
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000 NYC and SF: $17,000
    Refund / GuaranteeFlatiron School's Software Engineering Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms)
  • Amazing Experience
    - 1/23/2019
    Jesse  User Photo
    Jesse • Technical Apprentice • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I earned my BA in Computer Science, but I had a hard time applying my skills to real world scenarios.  After working in a non-technical setting for about a year, I jumped into learning web development. It was a lot of fun but with no real learning structure to guide me, so I felt like I was always jumping around. I decided to attend Flatiron, and it was a great experience. So much information is thrown at you, but the instructors and fellow students are there to help you.  I think that was the biggest takeaway from Flatiron, the culture they try to foster. Being able to go through a program that is this intense is easier to do when you have people around you trying to push you to be the best you can be.  I graduated in November, and now in January I have accepted an offer with Amazon. The offer was initally set up through Flatiron's Business Development team.  Roughly every three months, the school offers a career fair for qualifying students (you just have to complete some mock interviews and meet with your coach a few times). This was one of the most helpful experiences I went through while at Flatiron. Over the course of 4 days, I met with 5 companies that the BD team matched me with. It's a great opportunity to hone your interview skills and also nail in person interviews so you can proceed to next steps.  Overall, Flatiron was one of the best decisions I made for my career, and I strongly recommend the school to anyone looking to enter into Web Development.

• Life changing
    - 1/21/2019
    Tristram Jones  User Photo
    Tristram Jones • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Completing the Flatiron Web Dev Immersive course in NYC was one of the best commitments I've ever made. I'm from Utah and after researching bootcamp options decided on Flatiron and a few others. I had no coding background and barely passed the technical interview during the admissions process so the coursework was difficult. However, since I was committed to putting in 12-16 hours/day the material was certainly manageable. By the end of each 3-week module, I felt confident in the material we'd covered. The instructors were absolutely incredible. The quality of teaching surpassed anything I experienced in college. We had 1 instructor for only 1 week who didn't meet this standard, but every other instructor was highly skilled. After a little less than 3 months I got my first (and only) offer and accepted immediately. The pay and growth potential were both outstanding. The job market in Salt Lake City is competitive and I ended up at a startup with a promising future. I couldn't be happier. More than all of that, though, I now have a highly marketable skill that allows me to build and create meaningful things.

• Lou  User Photo
    Lou • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Flatiron School was a once in a lifetime experience that changed my life. I challenged myself everyday and met a ton of ambitious and intelligent individuals (instructors, mentors and classmates) who I now call friends and most importantly, I walked away with a profoundly valuable skill: the ability to turn ideas into reality through programming.

I WORKED EXTREMELY HARD AND WAS CHALLENGED!!!

On average, I spent 10–16 hours a day (~75–80 hours/week, including weekends) dedicated to code. I sat in lectures, watched lecture videos and programming videos, worked on labs, wrote blog posts, and built my own projects. Many times during the week I still found myself on campus past 12AM and during the final weeks of Flatiron School in building my final portfolio project, I still found myself on campus past 2AM especially on the weekends. And honestly the only reason why I didn’t stay later was the support of my family, friends and instructors who requested that I take care of my health and not burn out (seriously take care of your health…). But when I got home, I still wrote code. Truth be told, no one should ever tell you that programming is easy because it isn’t. It’s very invigorating and challenging; like really hard. It’s mind-bending work and you constantly have to hold a million different puzzle pieces in your brain in order to solve the problem. There will be days where I go to bed thinking about how to solve the problem and feeling defeated while other days where I felt like I was the champion of the world. Programming, with its instant feedback loop, will constantly play with your emotions. But when things click and you “figure” it out, you will feel a sense of accomplishment like no other. It really is ADDICTING.

The instructors at Flatiron School were all absolutely phenomenal; highly intelligent, humble and experienced individuals who genuinely want you to succeed and do well. Up to this day they still reach out to me and check up on me to make sure that I am doing well and very excited for me when I chose the software engineer role that I wanted.

The career services at Flatiron School stand out among any other Bootcamps in the world and work hard to get you leads and interviews and the job that you want!

• Daniel Brazel  User Photo
    Daniel Brazel • Fullstack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I graduated from Flatiron School's immersive Web Development program in 2018. It is a great place to learn. The staff is committed to your success and even after graudation there is plenty of support to help you find a job. The best part of Flatiron is the community you build with both students and staff (a lot of the staff are former students). Most classes build really strong bonds that continue even after graduation. Additionally Career Services does an amazing job and can help connect you to companies.

• Justin  User Photo
    Justin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Overall wonderful experience. I came to Flatiron as a recent college graduate with a CS degree, so I had a certain expectation with programming classes. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience at Flatiron. They have a great community where everyone is helping each other out. I did take issue with one instructor who wasn't as engaged with my class as the other instructors were, but they were all extremely helpful and approachable. The only main problem I had was with career services. Although I appreciated all of the tools they provided to help me look for a job, I felt once I received my first job offer, the school pushed me towards taking it just so they could add me to their jobs report. I could be pessimistic but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I would still recommend the course to anyone because of how much you learn in such a short period of time. Just be wary of their career services once you start looking for a job.

• Highly Recommended
    - 11/28/2018
    Eric   User Photo
    Eric • Front End Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I graduated Flatiron School's online web development program at the end of the May and recommend them highly. I did a ton of research before enrolling in their program and they really have the best program out there. I felt supported and challenged during the whole process. The online tech coaching was invuable as I got stuck with trickier concepts.

After I graduated the career coaching was AWESOME. It was so helpful to me to have someone go over my resume and linkedin profile. I had weekly check ins with my career coach to help in my job search. It was really great and helped me to no end in landing my job!

• Mark
    - 11/21/2018
    Mark  User Photo
    Mark • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from Access Labs on September 14th and just finished my second week at my new job as a Software Engineer. I had a really 3 months+ at Access Labs this past summer. The instructors were really attentive and always made themselves available for us. There were pretty clear expectations on how we should be progressing through the materials.

The most valuable part of the experience for me was the job assistance. They assign you a career coach to meet wtih you weekly and offer advice, give feedback, proofread email correspondance, anything you need. I got a lot of interviews through Flatiron School's business development team (including the one which ultimately led to my job). The job search is incredibly painful and difficult, but I know it would have been much more so without Flatiron's career services.

Overall, the experience has been pretty life-changing.

• Elena  User Photo
    Elena Verified via GitHub

The online data science bootcamp prep course on learn.co was the best course I have taken. Before applying to flatiron, I took multilpe online python/data science courses (Udemy, codecademy, edex, etc.). So, when I started this one I quicly realized I was learning fundamentals that many didn't touch on. What I loved the most was that they are preparing you to do the data science immersive program, but they want you to be a great programmer as well. Instead of simply teaching you libraries that will be useful, they teach you the basics and build onto it. I was challenged and I learned so much. The bootcamp prep was definitely a huge factor in my decision to go to flatiron--including all the feedback I recieved from alumni, and I can't wait to begin the immersive program. Try the bootcamp prep, you won't be disappointed.

• Chris  User Photo
    Chris • Student Verified via GitHub

I was recently accepted into the Immersive Software Engineering Bootcamp and have had an extremely pleasant experience with Flatiron throughout the whole process.  I began teaching myself to code using a variety of free and paid resources (Codecademy, Udemy, Edabit challenges, auditing classes online of some esteemed professors, etc), but I found Flatiron's Pre Bootcamp Prep with Learn to be definitely one of, if not THE, best.  I began working through the Prep course without any immediate intention of applying and kept at it because I found it so useful.  It is one of the major reasons I chose to apply to Flatiron.  It can be difficult building your own curriculum when you are using diverse resources to teach yourself, but Flatiron lays out a great curriculum for you, complete with digestible information and challenging, instructive labs.  The lessons and labs build on each other to help your skills stick, and if you ever get stuck, the people behind the Ask A Question feature are immediately responsive and very helpful.  Even if you're not applying, but trying to self-teach, DO THIS COURSE!

The interview process was also totally pleasant and the team at Flatiron seems A+.

12/10 would recommend!

• Nat Reid  User Photo
    Nat Reid • Student Verified via GitHub

I recently got in to the flatiron software engineering immersive, and so far my whole experience with flatiron and learn.co has been incredible. A note: if you are applying to flatiron, doing the bootcamp prep course is the most important thing you can do.

A while ago I tried to learn more about programming and web development on codeacademy, but did't stick with it because I was often frustrated and confused. But with the learn.co bootcamp prep course it just felt easier to learn and I made it totally through the javascript curriculum way faster than I excpected, and it felt great! Learn.co is designed to have you apply everything as you learn it, and the concepts it teaches are really well ordered. The best part about learn.co is the questions feature, which is super easy to use, and always has either other students who have already completed the lesson you're on, or instructors available who make getting through tough spots super easy, and even enjoyable because the people who help are so kind!

For the actual application the admissions team is super involved, and really easy to communicate with if you have questions. The online interviews with them were easy to schedule, and super convenient. If it's possible I would reccomend starting on learn.co and applying to flatiron to anyone. But even if it's not, I would still reccomend doing the free bootcamp prep course on learn.co because of how great the platform and curriculum are.

• FlatIron
    - 10/29/2018
    Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Student Verified via GitHub

The online curriculem at learn.co is amazing! They show you multiple ways to solve a problem, which is very useful in programming, especially when trying to read someone elses code. I am new to Ruby and this curriculem has really made it really easy to learn.

• Robert Chen  User Photo
    Robert Chen • Student Verified via GitHub

I initially started self-learning on Codecademy and found that there weren't enough practice problems for all of the material to stick long term. After finding Flatiron's Bootcamp Prep Course, I was making notable progress. I've since completed the course and in my experience, it was the best free resource for learning the fundamentals.

The course is designed so that you're required to think pragmatically which helps improve upon your problem-solving abilities. What's also super neat is that there's a chat function to ask instructors and peers for help if you get stuck on a problem. The response rate is within seconds and the responses have been extremely helpful every time!

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here