epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a full-time coding bootcamp offering 27-week courses in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. The first 5 weeks of Epicodus are offered for free. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning Ruby, Rails and React or C#, .NET and React. Each track includes Intro to Programming and JavaScript. At Epicodus, students learn how to build web applications from top to bottom with modern technologies and practices. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry.

Every track also includes job search preparation for students; support and instruction in crafting resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and online presences. Career support staff meets one-on-one with every student to review and practice interviewing skills. After completing courses, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes. To kick off their job search, graduates participate in a Demo Day where they present projects to local, hiring employers.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (155) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Start Date January 6, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    January 6, 2020 - Portland
    January 6, 2020 - Seattle
    March 16, 2020 - Seattle
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date January 6, 2020
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
    January 6, 2020 - Portland
    March 16, 2020 - Portland
    January 6, 2020 - Seattle
    March 16, 2020 - Seattle
    January 6, 2020 - Online
    March 16, 2020 - Online
  • JS and React (Part-Time)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date January 7, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland
    Our part-time JavaScript/React course is designed for working professionals and others interested in learning how to code on a part-time basis. Over 24 weeks, students will learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, and React. The first part of the program consists of Introduction to Programming, which allows beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. In the second part of the program, you'll learn more advanced JavaScript, including how to test your code, work with asynchrony, and make API calls. The final part of the course is focused on learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After 24 weeks, you will have enough skills to begin exploring careers as a front-end developer and to further your own professional development.
    January 7, 2020 - Portland
    January 7, 2020 - Seattle
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST
    Start Date March 16, 2020
    LocationPortland
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    March 16, 2020 - Portland

• Emilie  User Photo
    Emilie • Jr. Web Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Epicodus stands out from other bootcamps because of its academic structure. It's a 6-moth, 40 hour a week program. You treat it like a job and feel like a real developer right from the start. It's roughly the same number of classroom hours as an undergrad CS degree, and since it's done in six months, students are learning the latest, most relevant technology. By the time I graduated, I had hundreds of hours in React and two Android portfolio pieces on my resume, which helped me stand out.
    I loved my instructors and how they taught the core principles of coding. The fact that learnhowtoprogram.com is free says a lot about Epicodus' mission to help everyone have the opportunity to learn. I would recommend Epicodus to anyone willing to work hard to change their career path.
  • Worth it
    - 7/30/2017
    Morgan Lutz  User Photo
    Morgan Lutz • Android Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from the very first Java/Javascript/Android co-hort in August 2015 and have been asked to write a review about my experience at Epicodus. Many, many things have changed at Epicodus since I graduated, so I don't think my review would accurately reflect what a student would encounter now. Please keep that in mind as you read my review. Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have specific questions about how to get into the world of Android development.

Why Epicodus?

Epicodus is dirt cheap in comparison to other programs. I would not have been able to afford attendance at other bootcamps. I don't know any other in-person program that also offers an internship that costs so little. This was a huge factor for me.

What did I think of the teachers, curriculum, pair programming...

Teachers

My teacher left 2/3rds of the way through the program. This may sound like a red flag, but it wasn't because of Epicodus. We still keep in touch and while he was there he worked very hard.

The founder replaced him. He doesn't have a background in Java or Android. Realizing we were kind of on our own at this point, I chose to spend more time studying with online courses through Udemy. That ended up being extremely valuable, as I knew much more going into my internship.

I always felt very supported by the staff and my fellow classmates. I had an amazing cohort.

Sorry, I cannot give a favorable review here. The curriculum for the Java/Android portion was very, very incomplete. Basic building blocks of Android were not covered. Even as beginners, we knew it was not good. It would not have prepared anyone for Android development. I learned way more from some Udemy courses than Epicodus. You might be wondering, "how can I tell if the curriculm is any good now?" All of Epicodus's curriculum is online. My advice is to reach out to someone in the community and ask for their opinion.

Please keep in mind that this was the first run through of a course which is now 2 years old. I know several people have put a lot of work into the curriculum. I don't think anything I said applies now. Unfortunately, that was my experience with the program...so it goes in the review.

Pair Programming

I both loved and hated this. When you pair with someone who is very passionate then you learn a lot. I really looked forward to pairing with certain people because I did not have much confidence at the time, so I didn't want to "drive" very much.

It's good practice because at your internship and job you will need to know how to talk through bugs / issues you find with your peers. It's also a good exercise in patience... :)

Tips for during and after program

Network network network. If you don't get hired out of your internship then you will need to fall back on your network. I can't emphasize how important this is. Network like a crazy person. Follow recruiters for your favorite companies. Accept random recruiter invites. Some people will tell you to do the opposite, but I got a job at Nike by accepting a random recruiter invite.

When you are not networking, study study study. I know they emphasize work life balance there, but if you are like me, and not working for 6-8 months is a big financial risk, then you should be studying studying studying. You can't afford to fail here.

Job assistance

The staff worked very hard to find interviews for me. However, I ended up getting an interview that turned into my first job through a friend... What did I say about networking, again???

Overall

The Java/Javascript/Android course is very strange. If you are a java web developer, you probably aren't using javascript. If you are a javascript developer, you definitely aren't using java. If you are an Android developer, any java you need to learn can be taught while learning Android. Throwing in a web backend course makes no sense. The three classes do not build on each other at all in the way that their other courses do. i.e. Rails is a very obvious pair for Ruby because it was built specifically to work with Ruby.

My point is, Epicodus is not trying to prepare you to be a mobile developer. They state very clearly on their site that they are teaching you how to program and pick up new things quickly. I am an Android developer not because of Epicodus, but because of the extra work I put into learning Android, and the luck I had in getting an Android internship. You are not guaranteed an internship in your field of study. Of my 30+ class, only 6 of us have jobs in mobile development.

If you are trying to change careers and do not really care where you get placed, then this is a great choice for you. You won't get the same value for your $$ anywhere else. I don't know any other place that offers internships, and this is huge.

If you have played around with mobile development and really love it, and want to be an Android developer, I would advise you to look elsewhere. Udacity & Google offer an apprenticeship program, for example.

• Great Program
    - 7/25/2017
    Caleb P  User Photo
    Caleb P • Android Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Epicodus provided the learning environment and support that I needed to become employed as an Android Engineer with a really great company.

There is no way I would have made the relationships and picked up the skills that I needed to land a Dev job on my own.

What Epicodus does for you

Epicodus provides excellent curriculum, teachers that are committed to student success, and an excellent learning environment.

The work is challenging, especially if your prior programming experience is limited.

The work is largely self-driven, the assignments are available online, and you are given the tools to complete them.  It’s a bit of a race against the clock everyday to understand and implement all of the new concepts that get thrown at you.

You certainly get out what you put in to this program.

I loved the pair programming, as I genuinely enjoy meeting people.  But aside from meeting people, pairing also gives you excellent practice talking about what your code is doing and how you are trying to accomplish your coding goal.  This is actually very important, and one of the hidden benefits to pairing, IMO.

Having months of practice verbalizing technical problems helped me when I sat down with a Sr dev at my internship to track down a bug.  It also helped me in post internship job interviews.

Pairing also brings a unspoken accountability which I know made me more productive.  When working/studying at home, it’s easy to log into Facebook or pull up a YouTube video when I’ve ‘earned’ a break.  That doesn’t happen when working side by side with someone else all day.

The Epicodus staff is fantastic, I’m still in touch with a some of them (Hi Perry!).  From what I’ve seen, they are committed to providing the best education and employment support they can.

There were times that I felt the resources were limited (teachers are busy, career services could

probably use more staff), but there was never a time when I felt that the staff’s commitment was limited.  Also, I understand that it’s one of Michael’s (the founder) goals to keep the program as affordable as possible.  In that light, the fact that Epicodus is working to be as lean and efficient as possible ultimately benefits the students.

What you need to do on your own

Learn data structures, especially if you’re hoping to land a C# or Java job.

Learn design patterns outside of the ones covered in the curriculum.

Participate in events and meet-ups.  Meet people, ask for their card (or name), follow up w an email the next day.  If you have to cold-email them 2 months down the road, reply to the same thread so they know they’ve met you before.

Be willing and able to talk about what you’re working on and/or what tech you’re excited to try next.

Read tech blogs, article, listen to podcasts, watch people live code on twitch.  Immerse yourself in the stack/field that you are interested in.

Continue to build and work on portfolio projects. Deploy them.

Learn new stacks and frameworks.

Work on soft skills.  I know it sounds cliche, but I 100% wouldn’t have landed my Android Engineer role without being able to communicate and relate well.

Make friends with your classmates.  My cohort was particularly tight-knit, and I love the fact that we get together fairly often to catch up.  The opportunity to have a built in support network of people also in this field can't be understated.

Realities

The market seems to be more saturated with Jr Devs that it was a couple years ago.  Bootcamps are more prevalent.  It will be harder to stand out and land jobs, or sometimes even interviews.

These are forces that are outside of Epicodus’ control, but they present challenges that new grads will have to navigate.

That said, opportunities are out there.  I interviewed for some jobs that were never 'officially' posted because I got reccomended by the right person at the right time.  Don't turn your nose up at Support Engineer or QA roles.  Seriously.  The 1st job is the hardest one to get.  Take any opportunity that you can, including freelace work.

Jr Devs aren’t hired because they are amazing programmers.  They are hired because they have demonstrated strong passion for the field, curiosity, likeability, excellent communication skills, and a technical baseline that can be built on.  Epicodus only gives you one of those, if you can manage the others, you'll do great.

- Caleb

• Ryan Back  User Photo
    Ryan Back • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Background:

Prior to starting at Epicodus in October 2016, I was a full-time student pursuing a degree in Computer Science. The desire to have more hands-on experience, in an accelerated program, motivated me to research the different “bootcamps” available in Portland. Bottom line, I wanted to get to work. Ultimately, I chose Epicodus based on price, my initial experiences with staff (shout out to Debbie for hosting a great informational open house), and the opportunity to have an internship at the end of the process.

Overall:

As many others have said, Epicodus changed my life. Today, I am working as a full-time Web Developer for a company that I absolutely love. Epicodus provided me with the tools and opportunity to jumpstart my career in web development. That being said, you have to be willing to put in the time and effort. Merely showing up for 40 hours a week and completing the bare minimum will not turn you into a developer.

In doing my research ahead of time, I entered Epicodus with the knowledge that this would not be a hands-on program, in terms of having day-to-day instruction. I enjoyed the lack of lectures and the minimal help from teachers (though they were always there if needed). This independent learning structure helped me learn how to problem solve on my own (something that has come in very handy in my new role). The world of web development is ever-changing, so I thought that Epicodus did a good job at keeping the curriculum as up-to-date as can be.

From the curriculum that I did receive, I feel as though I understand the languages and syntax that are used today. As I mentioned above, Epicodus will be what you make of it.

Pair Programming:

Pair programming was a great tool for learning. Depending on the skill level of your daily partner, you either have the opportunity to learn from someone with more experience, or to teach someone who may be struggling with the concept at hand, which helps to solidify your own understanding. In the intro class they emphasize working with someone new each day. But, as the program progresses they understand that you may find yourself working with several of the same partners over time. If you find that you don’t work well with another student, there’s no pressure to work with them again.

Internship:

Epicodus set up four internship interviews for me, with two being at the top of my “wish list”, one in the middle, and one pretty much at the bottom. The process was a little nerve-wracking, as there isn’t a guarantee that you will be matched with your top choice (even if they also list you as their top choice). They do this to make it a fair process, but it can still induce some anxiety. Luckily, I was matched with my top pick, as were many of my friends.

My internship was a fantastic experience. I was given client work right off the bat and had daily interaction with the rest of the development team. As Epicodus has mentioned, your language of choice may not be the language you end up utilizing in your internship. This was the case for me, but I found that picking up a new language was not as daunting as I thought it would be.

I can’t comment on the job assistance that Epicodus provides, as I accepted a position with my internship company. From my brief interactions with the outreach team, they are all very responsive and eager to be of assistance.

---------------

If you have any questions about my experience at Epicodus, feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn.

• Jeremy  User Photo
    Jeremy • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was drawn to Epicodus by their low tuition, which I think is outstanding amongst its peers. You never get the feeling that you're being ripped off in any way, which was something I was generally apprehensive about when searching. The school is genuine and transparent, which as much as anything made my experience there cherished. Staff there was always engaged and helpful - albeit w/ an air of having a lot on their plates!

And that's something you have to understand about Epicouds - it's not an experience that's going to be able to hold your hand the whole way through. You're really working with your fellow students to wade through the world of resources available to you, guided of course by the Epicodus curriculum.

You pair with another student everyday and work through assignments together - so take note that this 'pair programming' is at the core of the experience. There are pros and cons, but personally I'm very appreciative of this system. You really get to know your fellow students and your all a big jolly group of friends by the end of the course, was great for me as I had just moved to town.

Personally I think Epicodus could offer a little more solo time for those like myself who felt like they really needed days to just spread their wings -- you do work on a solo project every Friday, but I did sometimes feel stagnant due to partners at a lower level or a slow curriculum day and it would have been cool to have spent that time wayfaring the didactic playground of the internet. That being said though, I really do dig the system - you develop A LOT of soft skills from working w/ a variety of different partners and it's great for exposure to a diversity of insights & perspectives. If I would offer one other criticism, it's that the teachers can sometimes be a little more rigid than they need to be, focusing more on curriculum grading criteria than what I think is the bigger question: whether we know what we're doing and are learning. But that's definitely no biggie, and I can also be a bit delightfully mischievous :P

I was hesitant about doing a bootcamp because I'm a big self-starter, so learning to code felt like something I could have done on my own. But the experience of going to that space everyday and coding as part of our community of students really was truly invaluable, I learned a ton while there and can't imagine getting started without something like that. So as an educational experience: A+ (especially because of the program's duration).

Epicodus leads you into an internship as the final part of the expierience, great for me as I'm now working where I interned. The school matchmakes students w/ companies it has relationships w/, which can be kind of hit or miss. But it is a big step forward in terms of experience and finding an internship yourself (or a job of course) is just so harrowing that I'm grateful that process was kind of streamlined for me. I wish I could comment more on job prospects/assistance after Epicdous, but I really can only say that most of my comrades were not hired on by their internships and in the few months since we finished I'd say many of us have found employment and many haven't. I only have a limited experience of the Portland job market, but I really think this is an industry in which you can take advantage of unemployed time to improve yourself as a coder and a candidate. It's hard to stay motivated, especially when you could be getting paid for that self-development, but you really can just progress on your own and make employment more and more inevitable.

TL;DR Epicodus is a fantastic environment to learn to code and kick off your career, you'll meet great people and get great educational exposure. The more ambition you have to immerse yourself deeply into the dark arts of code, the more you'll guarantee your success.

• Ewa  User Photo
    Ewa • Java Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Why Epicodus worked for me:

• great price
    • great location and a nice space
    • pair programming + group projects (I wanted experience working with others)
    • the curriculum gave me direction and motivation i lacked when working on my own
    • the cohort (I met and still am in touch with - so many great people)
    • the internship (it was great to get some experience working with a tech company)
    • job finding assistance (I actually found my current position through an Epicodus job posting)

Why Epicodus might not work for everyone:

• the curriculum is more broad than deep  (that means extra studying if you want to go in depth into anything, which doesn't work for everyone.)
    • it's better to think of the instructors as TAs (they'll help you when you get stuck, but there's no direct instruction per se)
    • the amount you learn is self-driven (because of time constraints and the fact that Epicodus accepts students at all levels of coding knowledge, it is often up to the student to challenge themselves or follow up with the resources that Epicodus provides)
    • your job search is also going to be largely self driven (again, Epicodus offers resources, but in the end it is up to you to follow up on them, do the networking etc)
    • not all internships are created equal (it is possible that you will get an internship with a company that is very up and coming or not entirely certain what to do with an intern)

Epicodus is very clear about what it is and is not.  From the get-go (as in, these are all things that I was told during my intake interview) they want you to understand that the instructors are more TAs than anything else, that your learning is largely self-driven, and that the goal of Epicodus is as much about teaching you HOW to learn how to code as it is teaching you how to code.  This last skill is invaluable given the rate that technology is advancing - it is incredibly unlikely that you will never have to learn a new framework/language for a job.  As long as you understand those things, are willing to put in a lot of work yourself, and keep working on improving after you have finished the curriculum, Epicodus will work great for you.

- 11/11/2019
    Colman • Student

Still fairly new here at Epicodus, but my experience so dar has been awesome. I was reccomended by several friends to go to this bootcamp and a few weeks in I understand why so many friends had a great experience. The coursework is very challenging, encourages working in groups, collaberative coding and hands-on-the-keyboard instructions. I cannot say enough good things about my experience. I think you can find a cheaper option out there, but based on how many friends have gotten jobs so quickly after the bootcamp I am glad I made the choice I did!

• Avery Grey • Student
    I attended only the intro course, so I don't know about the majority of their material. I do know that what I experienced was somewhere between marginally adequate and a total mess. The content was meandering and confusing. Michael, the director, made the majority of the video courses, where he spent most his time trailing off on tangents, getting tripped up on words, throwing out advances concepts, and writing sloppy code. When I say sloppy code, I mean sloppy. Most of it was all mashed together without any comments or extra spacing. Paragraphs on top of columns on top of classes on top of divs without any forethought into comprehension of code. I spent most of my time just trying to figure out what his code even meant, let alone write my own. On top of that, Michael's videos often contained printed revisions where he made mistakes during his lectures. It was a mess. The content needs major updating. It's quite obvious they are still using the curriculum from when they opened. They're still teaching bootstraps and JQuery, two refrences that are seldom used in today's programming field. The tech world is always changing, and schools NEED to keep up. They spent most of their time teaching how to cheat on a website by using these two methods instead if actually building a website with clean tags and an understanding of CSS beyond cookie cutter styles from a 10 year old playbook. It was at this point that the free trial ended and they wanted me to cough up 12k for a full education. Now I will say I do have a great understanding of css and html now, but it was mostly because i didn't follow their curriculum and instead bought a great book on the subject, and instead just used class time to teach myself something useful. I want to note that their instructors are all recent graduates that, if I had to guess, were only hired because actual programmers don't want to work there (and it beefs up their placement numbers). I will say I really liked my teacher. He was able to answer most my questions (the content was on entry level things) but I could tell he was frustrated at how the content was arranged. Just don't go here. Don't. The influx of code school grads without knowledge of programming is causing companies to blacklist these schools' graduates. Instead do what I did. There is no "fast and easy" way to b a programmer. This is one step ahead of a con. Careers take work and time and effort, programming isn't a get rich quick scheme. Get an associates at PCC in Computer Information Systems. It's a two year course, it's cheaper than any bootcamp, and you will actually learn how to program and most likely get a job. I love my courses at PCC. I learn more each lesson than I did in the 3 months at epicodus. Hope this helps!
  • Epicodus
    - 3/21/2019
    Michael • Developer • Graduate

Epicodus was a warm and unforgettable experience.  The classes were structured in an efficient format and were fast and challenging, and accomodating to students with no prior experience or a lot of experience.  Our teacher Tyler was incredibly knowledgable and helpful.  My classmates were ambitious and driven, and I’ve developed lasting relationships with them that will continue to be fruitful in the industry.  The staff at Epicodus is motivated to help you succeed and will be there with you up until you find a job you that suits your needs.

The internship oppurtunity alone is worth the price of admission.  I was placed with a professional and respectful company that ended up hiring me out of the internship.

I would recommend Epicodus to anyone who wants a career change, and I have recommended it to close friends and family.

• Best decision!
    - 2/25/2019
    Gosia • Graduate

Joining Epicodus was the best decision I made while switching my career. At a time I joined them I was 35+ with almost no previous experience in programming. It was hard in the beginning but it was worth it. I met wonderful people there, great teachers and best class mates. I really appreciate all of the friends I made there. We all created together this supportive community with one goal: to be professional programmers one day. And thanks to them, after less than one year from starting this journey, I got my first real job in the industry. I think me working for Microsoft now is the best recommendation for that school.

• C# and React
    - 2/3/2019
    Victor Felix • Front-End Engineer • Graduate

Epicodus is the best investment I've  done for my career. I did not have any coding experience before going to Epicodus. It was frustrating at first, but once you start to understand the concepts, it will get easier. Just a few tips I wish someone gave me before I started class. Read up on the basics of coding. Even though they will start from the very basic, its nice to have a head start. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you do not understand any of the materials, your mentor is there to help. I had John Franti as my mentor and he is an amazing teacher. Very patient and very knowledgeable. Last and not least, do not give up. There will be challenges and frustration throughout the course, but it will be well worth it if you put enough effort.

• Alex Dominguez • Bilingual Teacher Assistant • Student

I went to Epicodus for their Introduction to Programming with Kyle Lange this past fall and it was one of the best learning experiences learning how to code. Epicodus is designed even for people like me and anyone who don’t have a tech background but the desire to learn to have the tools necessary to succeed. From how to learn command line, HTML, CSS and Onkected JavaScript with a final project that challenges you to use all the skills learned and use them in your last project, it’s a good beginning for people who don’t have a technical background and can succeed in their full class route wether is React, C# and others. The classes are well paced even for the advanced and for the begginer coders. What highly recommend the most about Epicodus is the class flexibility of the schedule, the professors (like Mr. Lange )who are dedicated  and skilled to help you in the most difficult coding bugs in any project and working in teams is the best approach as it mirror s the true environment in a high paced web developer company. These traits and opportunities to also intern at the end of your developer language route is what makes Epicodus great. Please consider Epicodus a choice if you’re in the Portland or Seattle area and want to change your life.

• Anna K • Software developer • Graduate

I looked for programming courses and researched few bootcamp schools before I came to Epicodus. The price is more than reasonable for what 27-week program gives you. I almost didn’t have any previous experience except free online course for HTML and JavaScript. There were guys in my cohort who knew much more and it helped me a lot. Pair programming was mostly helpful. We were learning different technologies 8 hours a day, so yes, it was tough. I would suggest all the students to start learning algorithms and data structures during the program to be better prepared for internship interviews and job search.

I was lucky to have good guys in my group, and my 5-week internship was very great! So, Epicodus classes gave me good portfolio full of projects, understanding that I can do programming at least 8 hours a day (50-60 hours per week in my case), and a real experience in a real company. I studied algorithms and data structures later by myself for interviewing and finally got a job.

It was right choice for me.

• Good for basics.
    - 9/20/2018
    Adam Titus • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

Epicodus has a very strong curriculum in basic web development and can be a good starting point for people who have already determined that coding is the right career path for them.

In my time there I went from only basic knowledge of code logic, to being able to write in 4 different languages (C#, JavaScript, CSS, HTML). I learned valuable tools for programming, how to research code questions, and the basic workflow for building projects from the ground up. By the end of the first section I was able to make a Tetris game with 3 other classmates. By the end of the second unit I built a working social network and space shooter game with 3 different classmates. By the end of the third section, I had built a well designed and functional e-commerce website with 3 more classmates. And by the end of the fourth, I had built my own maze solving neural network AI for my independent project. I also put in a lot of time and effort into learning however, and not everyone will find it easy to learn as quickly as Epicodus demands.

While Epicodus does provide good basic knowledge, their curriculum isn't as strong at preparing you for an actual programming job in the real world. It's common to have to learn a  new codebase when starting a new position but that isn't an experience Epicodus provides. Also, Epicodus projects rarely go beyond a few static web pages hosted on Github. Exposure to these scenarios can and do teach valuable lessons the first time you encounter them, as they force you to think about problems and questions in new ways. If Epicodus added that to their curriculum it would better prepare future developers for real world experiences.

Some of this is solved, however, by the internships Epicodus provides. These internships vary wildly in quality though because all the companies are different and Epicodus can't really control their actions. While I had a great experience at my internship, I don't think that was a universal occurrence. If you do get a good internship as I did, it can get you amazing connections, recommendations, experience, and mentors for your future career. Epicodus does it's best to match you with a company that would be a good fit, and from my experience I came away for the better from it.

The instructors are competent and are good at teaching the basics of code knowledge. However, they are not always experienced enough in the programming world to fully provide the answers that some students may have.

Epicodus is also helpful in the job search after you complete the course work. They offer resources, and their demo day generated several interviews for me with a variety of companies. But competition in this field is tough, so it still may take many months to find work in the web development field. I was employed as a junior software developer about 4 months after graduating, and I was one of the lucky ones. So use the resources that Epicodus gives you, but know that you have to do a lot of your own work to be successful in the job hunt.

In conclusion, I think Epicodus is a great start for prospective developers, and is a great place to learn and get your foot in the door. Just be aware that finding a job in this field is much tougher than just knowing the basics, and that it's only the starting point.

• Leah • Student

Epicodus was exactly what I needed to determine whether I wanted to continuing expanding my web programming knowledge into a career. I chose the Part-time course as a wayfinder, which was affordable and fit with my full time work schedule. The instructor was attentive, helpful, and knowledgeable about industry trends. The pace was challenging but not overwhelming. The classroom space was great with state of the art computers and equipment. The in-person class setting was particularly valuable to me as I really enjoyed partnering with different classmates and learning from each other. Overall it was a good experience for me and a way to push myself to explore new career options. Thank you Epicodus!

• What a wild ride!
    - 8/15/2018
    Cheryl • Jr. Support Developer • Graduate

If you're looking for a cheaper, quicker way to get into development or other tech career path, this program is for you. It's intense and a lot of work even outside of the 40-hour weeks in class. Your brain will hurt. You will be tired. You may be one of the students who sleeps on the couches. But it is all worth it!

I mainly chose Epicodus over other programs because it offered a React track and included an internship experience. For me, this was a mid-career change and paying for another traditional degree or graduate program wasn't going to work. And while it's not easy to pair program all day long, my classmates were some of the most supportive and enjoyable parts of this experience. Lunch talks are a great way to network, learn from those actually working in tech and hear about different paths you can take.

Epicodus is a growing family in the Pacific Northwest ... graduates are everywhere! During and after school, I have run into Epicodus students at conferences, at my current employer and on the MAX train.

If this is something you're considering, I would recommend checking out the Saturday open house or scheduling a visit.
  • Jonathan Stein • Web Developer • Graduate

I attended the Seattle Epicodus part time to full time C#, .NET, and JS courses. It was about 6 months total, and I'm overall happy with my experience.

Although the curriculum was a bit rushed at times (our teacher was writing it the night before to keep it up to date, which caused some issues in class), I was still able to get a lot of knowledge out of the programs, specifically the JS/Angular course.

I'm currently working a 6 month contract as a web developer for 23/hr. So much better than my last jobs! I landed the job about 2-3 weeks after my internship ended.

If you are dedicated and able to do the work, engage with the materials on more than surface level, and do extra work outside of class, Epicodus can work for you.

• Nekilof • IT Assistant

I'm going to say that my experience here has been limited, as I only stayed in their PT evening program for 3 weeks, but here's my thoughts:

The bad:
    -Epicodus is only designed for folks whom can afford both in time and money to attend 8-5PM M-F for months & put in extra work on the weekends too. There is a PT Intro class, but there is no other content available on an evening, weekend, or part time schedule. So if you're the "breadwinner" for your home, have children, or any other obligations in your life that prevent you from doing this, then it becomes exceedingly difficult to attend Epicodus.

-You're paired (you work with another student for the duration of the day/night) from the first class onward, and they mention in the orientation materials that sometimes you're "paired up" (meaning the person you're with knows more than you), "paired down", or you're equals. The problem there is that if you're in a "paired up" situation, the person whom knows more than you might not be interested in or good at teaching you...or might simply think they know what they're doing vs. actually knowing what they're doing. You're also placed in a potentially similar position if you're "paired down" as you're now the teacher and that may or may not be your cup of tea. I was never in a pairing that I enjoyed. I felt like the lesson for the day got completely muddled in the dynamic of the person you were to be working with. To give a specific example, one pair partner told me he finished all the classwork for that week at home, so he was going to zip to the next week's lesson. You share a computer, and so then it became a strange power struggle between what he wanted and what I wanted the whole night.

-For me the learning style just didn't work. You're expected to move at a pretty fast speed, and there really isn't room to help someone left behind like I was. Going into IT was a huge shift for me from being a therapist, and I had a lot of questions that were going unanswered...and then I got more and more confused as time went on & felt like there was no time for review, no one there to help and guide me, or the ability to go more in depth with an instructor on a topic I was struggling with to help clear up questions.

The luke warm:
    -I was surprised by the complete lack of instruction by the instructors, whom are more like proctors than anything else. You learn by watching online video content, which is free and accessible online at the time I'm posting this: https://www.learnhowtoprogram.com/ There isn't enough time or instructors to provide you with in-depth time to answer your questions. There's a question queue system, and the questions are answered as quickly as possible and frequently the proctors didn't seem to know much about the content.

-If you're in the PT night Intro class, none of the staff outside the proctors are there, so you miss out on the lunch lectures and other experiences that the FT folks get. I asked if the lunch lectures could be taped, and although I was told this was a good idea, it didn't happen during my time there.

-If you're in the PT night class, you're expected to make the transition to the day time full time schedule after the intro class. So that'll involve a lot of planning for most folks to be able to pull off.

The good:

-The PT night class is a more affordable option if you're unsure whether to commit to the full program during the day or not after Intro is over. At the time I attended it was $400 for the PT night class.

-I feel their customer service w/ admissions was fantastic.

So do I feel like Epicodus gives you much more than say, a $25 a month Team Treehouse account? No I don't. You're basically only paying for a place to learn to program vs. getting hands on experiences that you couldn't get from a learn to code site & info from an instructor with experience under their belt. I felt like writing this would help to balance out the super positive reviews with perhaps a more...realistic outcome? Epicodus wasn't for me.

• Michael • IT Associate • Student

I took the evening intro program because I was enrolled full time in college and I wanted a course that would fit my schedule. I also wanted to learn a lot in that short amount of time. After the course my interest in programming increased and I am planning on taking the full-time course once everything settles down. Thank you to Epicodus for all your programs.

• Great opportunity!
    - 12/21/2017
    Nicole • QA Specialist • Graduate

I attended Epicodus after working as a project coordinator for 5 years after college. I had some experience of basic HTML and CSS which intrigued me to want to learn more. I had heard great things about the code school from an alum and former coworker. If you want a quick way into the tech industry Epicodus can help you get there, but you definitely need to dedicate yourself and put in a lot of work on your own if you want to be successful.

Teachers are there more so for moral support and to help you learn better. It is up to you to do the heavy lifting, which is what it will be like in the job world. The initial curriculum can be overwhelming for someone with no experience. I would highly recommend trying to code on your own through free online resources to determine if this is something you are truly interested in pursuing before signing up for Epicodus.

Also, Epicodus focuses on pair programming; this is when you work with another person, sharing the keyboard and mouse daily. You can choose your partner. I would suggest trying to work with everyone in your cohort at least once. This will help you learn different work styles. Sometimes you will have a bad day with a partner and you may choose not to work with them in the future. Take that as a learning experience, but also keep in mind you can’t always choose your coworkers so learn to work better with different people, which probably means learn to communicate better.

Job search help is pretty good but again, you need to do most of the heavy lifting. Top three tips: network at meet ups/hackathons/friends/linkedin, work on side projects (not cookie cutter Epicodus projects, keep an open mind (the most important thing is to get your foot in the door.) Also, find code challenges and do them daily and pick up some resources on basic computer science concepts, Epicodus is only going to scratch the surface.

• Great experience
    - 12/21/2017
    Isabel • Graduate

I took the evening intro to programming class and it was a really, really positive experience for me. I loved the pair-programming model; it helped keep me focused and upbeat without having the stress of working in a big group. The teacher was very friendly and helpful, as were all the other students. I learned a lot and feel better prepared to continue my education on my own. I definitely would have moved on to the full time class if I had the time and money.

• Kate • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

I had a great time at Epicodus, and I was very lucky in that I had a kickass group of people in my cohort and many of them became good friends of mine. I learned a ton, was definitely challenged by the coursework, and I found a job soon after the program was over (though I was in the minority in my class in that regard--just trying to be honest. And I was nowhere near the most skilled coder in the cohort! Luck, timing, and a good attitude go a long long way).

If you're reading this review, you're probably trying to figure out if this is the right career path for you. One thing that kept putting me off is the snobby elitists who kept saying things like "you'll be a great engineer if, when you were a kid, you loved taking apart radios/toasters/VCRs/insert-random-mechanical-gizmo-here and then putting it back together again! If you didn't show a strange fascination in boring electrical gadgets as a child then surely you can't enjoy coding!"

I am telling you now, I think that's bullshit. I never did that when I was a kid. I hung out with friends, read books and played sports and never ever had the slightest interest in that kind of thing. BUT, I love coding and I love love love love my job as a junior software engineer. Don't let the grumps get you down!

Also, I tried to teach myself coding through codecademy and treehouse prior to starting Epicodus, and I kept getting so frustrated and I thought it would turn out to be a dead-end...but Epicodus was such a different experience. Yes, it was hard. Yes, I learned a ton really really fast. But I also got to talk to people in person, and talk with my pair programming partner every day, and ask questions of other real live humans! It was great. Epicodus was a fantastic experience and literally changed my life.

Epicodus's strength is in their classes, their methods, and how much you learn. Their weakness is in getting you a job. The market seems to be becoming a bit more saturated with bootcamps so finding a job is tough and you have to just kind of luck out, honestly. I had a wonderful experience but doing a bootcamp (any bootcamp) and expecting a job at the end of it is a huge gamble.

Good luck to all of you!! I hope it all goes well!

• Caitlin • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

After spending years in customer service, I finally decided to take the leap and attend a coding bootcamp. I was pretty skeptical that 6 months could lead to a new career. It seemed like all of my other choices were to go back to school for another 2-4 years and tens of thousands of dollars. I did a lot of research before choosing Epicodus and I'm so glad I did. I really believe that Epicodus is the best option.

I attended the C#/.NET track at the Seattle campus earlier this year and it was a fantastic experience. It was hands on learning and the instructors were incredibly kind and helpful. It really felt like they wanted all of us to succeed. They also give you tons of help in finding a job after graduation. The internship was by far one of the most valuable aspects of the program. I didn't get a job with the company I interned with, but I was able to get real world experience and recommendations on my resume that helped me get a great junior web developer job at a local startup.

As for advice before you begin the prorgam, I would say it is very valuable to learn the funadmentals of Javascript before you start. I knew nothing and I made it through just fine, but it would have been so helpful. Most of my class had studied Javascript on their, which made me feel left in the dust in my second week. If you feel like this during your program, just know that it gets better. You will get the hang of it and start working on material that no one has seen yet. Some people say that a coding bootcamp is going to take over your whole life but that wasn't the case for me. I was able to go to class all day and still have a life when I got home. It was exhausting and fun and super rewarding.

Thank you Epicodus! This was the best investment I've ever made and I will always be grateful.

• David • Web Developer • Graduate

I'd been trying to teach myself C# and failing, due to a lack of motivation. I heard about Epicodus from a grad, and saw they had a C#/.NET track, and I knew that I would be doing that asap. I withdrew my enrollment from PSU (just 2 days before class started), and paid for Epicodus. I had some background with Web based Programming, and video game development, but what I needed was a positive and open space to dive deep into the .NET stack. Having an instructor that knew the curriculum well, and (more importantly) was willing and able to learn with us when we found difficult problems, really went a long way. She was an excellent mirror for our collective excitement. I graduated this past October, and within 3 weeks was hired.

This worked so well for me because the curriculum was challenging but fair, and I loved doing the work. I happily devoted as much time as I could, because I knew that I would reap the rewards after graduation. I highly reccommend this program for anyone looking to delve into Web Development.

Its not a real review without at least one negative comment. The only one I can think of was that there were a few hiccups with the internship process for my cohort. It is a mercurial process, dealing with businesses and students. My cohort was part of a double group, Design and C#, so there were 40+ people to place.

• PHP/Drupal Course
    - 11/19/2017
    Eliot • Front End Developer • Graduate

Great course!  I had a really good experience with Epicodus in Seattle.  The classroom setting was inspiring, coursework was thorough and engaging and instruction was there when you needed it.  Ultimately, besides the fundamentals of coding, what I learned was the ability to find answers to problems, troubleshoot, be tenacious and rely on my problem solving skills to figure out lessons.  I would definitely recommend if you have the drive and motivation to challenge yourself here.

• Starlynne Start • Web Developer • Graduate

This was one of the best things I have ever done.

I chose Epicodus after researching a few different fast-paced coding programs- some were shorter (and still cost more), some were longer. I picked Epicodus based on price, location, and the pair programming.

Though I didn't think I would enjoy pair programming, I thought it would be valuable to learn how to collaborate, not just have a role on a team, but actually build something together. It ended up being far more enjoyable than I had thought! It was fantastic to learn from, lean on, teach, and support eachother through our courses. I rarely had any issues with others, and in fact made some very good friends.

The staff is great. The teachers do not hold your hand- they are there to help you learn, not provide you answers. That said, there were times I found such devious ways to baffle myself and them that Loren (my instructor) and I would spend hours learning new things to tackle the issues. They are friendly, capable, and more than willing to help you through the tough spots. The internship/employment staff is also very supportive! When I had opportunities to interview before we had done the in-class prep, they took extra time to help me practice before hand.

The only thing I see wrong in the curriculum was that I wish there was more of it! It IS a short program though, and they can only put so much into everyday. There are many further exploration links and suggestions provided in addition to the daily lessons.

If you are attending Epicodus, a few suggestions:

• Follow up on as many of the extras as possible. Do the optional second assignments on your own time if you don't have time in class.
    • Do not make assumptions about your pair until you have worked with them- preferably more than once! Everyone struggles with different parts of the program, and they may lag in one area only to be the expert you need in another.
    • If you are struggling- I certainly did- remember that the things that looked hard a week ago seem easy a week later. Keep at it and chances are whatever seems impossible today will seem easy in another week.
    • Keep your github clean and your readmes up to date - it will save you a lot of time later!
    • Learn all you can about tech interview/algorithm/BigO notation and PRACTICE solving coding challenges/whiteboarding as much as possible. These are essential for the interview process and are not covered except very briefly in the coursework. Codewars.com is a great place to practice.
    • Network! Go to events, make yourself talk to strangers. It is how you get most opportunities in this field.
    • Don't wait until graduation to start looking/applying to jobs- and don't let a 'failed' interview bother you. (I failed a few!)  Many jobs take a while to get back to you, you want a head start, and the interviews are TOUGH- but they are a skill like any other and practice is the only way to get better.
    • You can get hired! There were a few of us that had jobs even before our internships ended- some through regular application/interview, some through introductions (networking!!!).

I loved this school, and would do it again in a second. If I could get paid to attend, I would never have left! Highly, highly recommended.