epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (168) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (11) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    January 03, 2022 - Seattle
    March 14, 2022 - Seattle
  • C# and React (Part-Time)

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, C#, MySQL, GitHub, .NET, SQL
    Start Date March 14, 2022
    LocationPortland, Seattle, Online
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
    March 14, 2022 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time)

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
  • Ruby and React

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Rails, React.js, REST, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL
    Start Date March 14, 2022
    LocationPortland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    March 14, 2022 - Portland
  • Ruby and React (Part-Time)

SQL, Ruby, React.js, Rails, Node.js, HTML, GitHub, Git, CSS
    LocationOnline, Portland
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
  • Full-time C#/React
    - 1/31/2019
    Josh  User Photo
    Josh • Front-end engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

To anyone considering Epicodus, I would highly recommend it. If you are lucky enough to get John Franti he is a flexible, patient instructor, who definitely will you help you to be successful in any we possible. In terms of the curriculum at Epicodus it definitely prepares you for your job search after graduation. If you put in the effort, it will definitely pay off as it did for me, as I’m currently am full-time front end engineer 6 months after graduation

• Torin Huff  User Photo
    Torin Huff • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the night-time Intro to Programming course this last fall, and I was definitely not disappointed. I had tried doing some online free courses and, although I had learned a lot through those free courses, I knew I needed something more structured and with face time in order to really grasp some of the concepts. This class was perfect for that. Not only was Kyle a great instructor and there for any questions we had, but the whole setup of the class itself made for a great learning environment. I was a little nervous about pair programming, as I’ve always thought that I learned better by myself when I can just sit with something and go at my own pace, but I was pleasantly surprised. Working with someone allowed me to ask questions, explore, and learn with them in ways I know I wouldn’t have done on my own. The course material was pretty great as well, just because we covered a wide variety of topics and there was enough there to do in class to understand the basics, but also because there was plenty to do at home if we wanted to.

I haven’t had the chance to join a full-time class, but I fully intend to once I have the budget and time to do so. Taking the part-time class was totally worth it. I actually took the skills I learned in that class and made a brand new website for my company. Like I said before, there are plenty of incredible online resources, but if you find yourself needing more structure and a great learning environment — choose Epicodus.

• Matt Miller  User Photo
    Matt Miller • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I personally had a really good experience at Epicodus. After trying my hand at using free online resources to teach myself coding, I found that I really needed the structure of a classroom with schedules and deadlines to keep me motivated and on task as well as teachers and peers to help answer questions and improve my understanding. To this end, Epicodus was totally worth it. The course work was mostly very good. There were occasional issues since curriculum is often being updated, but the staff were responsive to feedback. I also found the response to questions was usually prompt and helpful, but even more important was my amazing cohort. Pair programming with other students every day was sometimes intimidating, but really helped me learn. From answering questions to helping interpret lessons to giving feedback on code, working in pairs (and groups for projects) was one of the most valuable features of the program.

The internship was a big selling point for Epicodus as well, and I was very fortunate to get a great internship. I know that the internship experience of my cohort varied, with a few students having major issues, but hopefully Epicodus will continue to increase their consistency with respect to quality internships. Regardless of internship, I feel that the career support for graduates is pretty strong and another benefit that makes the program well worth it.

• Lifelong learning
    - 12/4/2018
    Brittany  User Photo
    Brittany • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I decided to attend the Intro to Programming Course (evening/part time) at Epicodus once I knew I was moving to Portland from NYC. It was a great chance to meet new people, learn some new skills, and see if I might be interested in changing careers. The Intro to Programming Course was perfect for me because it allowed me to get a taste of programming without having to commit to a full-time program and was flexible around a work schedule. The price point was also perfect for me.

Our instructor Kyle was great - he was happy to be as hands-on or as laid back as each programming pair needed. I loved pair-programming - there are so many online resources that you could technically teach yourself most of the programming stuff you'd need to know... but if you're an interactive learner like me that benefits from mutual accountability.... SIGN UP FOR EPICODUS. You'll learn so much from your partners, both about programming and how to think about problem solving. This course was totally worth it!

• Verna Santos  User Photo
    Verna Santos • Co-Founder of Triple Spark Design • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I’ve researched a few bootcamp school and Epicodus was the right fit for me. The price is reasonable for what I was looking for. Coursework is straightforward and the videos are great but wish there was a few more videos towards the end of the course which they are aware of. It was very challenging for me esp. with no coding experience but I was able to pull through with the support of the instructor and my cohort. The instructor is very knowledgeable and helped me comprehend the basics.

Overall, I enjoyed (even on the tough days) and learned the skills I need to continue to grow my business attending Epicodus.

• Elrey Belmonti  User Photo
    Elrey Belmonti • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Epicodus is a great place to learn how to code and become a developer.  Coming from a non traditional developer background, Epicodus gave me the skills and the confidence to land my dream job. The staff, teachers, and fellow students were and still are amazing support system. If you ever thought to yourself, “I want to learn how to code but don’t know where to start”, let Epicodus give you that start. “I would like to become a developer but I am not smart enough”, let Epicodus prove you wrong.

• Isaac  User Photo
    Isaac • Wordpress Designer / Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I enrolled in Epicodus during the late summer of 2017 and graduated as recently as March of 2018.  I started my first day at my new job in early July.  I wouldn't have been able to start this new position if it weren't for the skills and direction that Epicodus provided for me.  The instructors are top notch they do not coddle you and walk you through everything, they know how to proud your mind into thinking in a manner that you will eventually come to a conclusion and if you eventually cannot solve it they will find the time to assist you.  Class sizes are reasonable and the people there seemed very friendly.  The atmosphere is not competetive in any way, I was in no way shape or form the best person or strongest coder in my cohort, but I felt like in order to find a job after your classes are finished you must be relentless in applications if you want to work.  Also I knew from fairly early on I didn't necessarily want to work as an App Developer I just wanted to help build and design websites.

• Byron Chang  User Photo
    Byron Chang • Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I started with a bit of extra web development experience compared with the majority of my classmates. Within 2 weeks I felt like I was swimming in the deep end, Epicodus is FAST at ramping up and challenging you to your fullest. I loved every moment of it. (I should mention that Epicodus does not require you to have any development experience as their courses will bring you up to speed. They do a great job at it!)

The classroom environment is set for rapid learning, the instructors were great and very knowledgeable and you are surrounded by other students who learning along with you. Sometimes asking another student for help is just as helpful as getting guidance from an instructor.  Although troubleshooting issues on your own is part of the process, this prevents you from getting stuck for too long on any one problem.

In addition to learning how to code the latest technologies, the guidance that they provided for your Linkedin, resumes, and cover letters were amazing. They helped me look like an aspiring professional with the skills and experience to back it up. Highly recommend and have already done so to a friend!

• Emilie  User Photo
    Emilie • Jr. Web Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Epicodus stands out from other bootcamps because of its academic structure. It's a 6-moth, 40 hour a week program. You treat it like a job and feel like a real developer right from the start. It's roughly the same number of classroom hours as an undergrad CS degree, and since it's done in six months, students are learning the latest, most relevant technology. By the time I graduated, I had hundreds of hours in React and two Android portfolio pieces on my resume, which helped me stand out.
    I loved my instructors and how they taught the core principles of coding. The fact that learnhowtoprogram.com is free says a lot about Epicodus' mission to help everyone have the opportunity to learn. I would recommend Epicodus to anyone willing to work hard to change their career path.
  • Margaret Berry  User Photo
    Margaret Berry • Product Development Intern • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am very thankful for my time at Epicodus, and for the opportunities it has opened up for me. When I started, I had very little programming experience aside from a few online tutorials. I learned an amazing amount in 6 months. As a developer, you'll need to learn new skills and technologies quickly, and Epicodus gives you great practice!

I think pair programming is a very effective way to learn, and it gives you a taste of what it's like working on a development team. You get to know your classmates very well, and walk away with new friends, and a strong professional network.

Learning is self-driven, with a teacher providing support, but mostly letting you work through problems with your partner. It was definitely stressful and difficult at times, but also fun and interesting. The weekly code reviews give you a chance to assess what you understand and what you need to study. Most of the time you're creating projects from scratch, which gives you a clear understanding of what all the pieces are doing, but not a lot of experience diving into an existing codebase. I thought the curriculum taught relevant skills, with Git, JavaScript, JavaScript frameworks, and SQL being particularly valuable.

Epicodus provides help with LinkedIn, resumes, cover letters, interview practice, and also with the demo days several times a year. You start using Git on day one, and will have a solid GitHub profile by the end of the program. I had a great internship experience, but they do seem to vary. You may not get a job through your internship, or immediately after graduation. I had to apply to a lot of jobs, and it took a few months before I got a paid development internship, but I did get there! Overall, Epicodus is a great value for your money. I highly recommend it!

• Aundra Miller  User Photo
    Aundra Miller • Web Application Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before starting at Epicodus, I knew next to nothing about programming. As I look back two years after graduating the program, I can say with full confidence that it was my decision to enroll at Epicodus that launched my fulfilling and exciting career in web development.

Epicodus teachers and staff strive to create and maintain a unique environment where students can safely learn new technologies and hone their programming skills. By pair programming with my colleagues, I learned how to verbalize concepts, collaborate with others, solve complex problems, and learn from my mistakes. After I completed all my courses, I enrolled in their internship program. During those five weeks, I gained valuable, hands-on, real-life programming experience and had the opportunity to learn from seasoned developers.

Landing a job as a programmer certainly requires training beforehand and plenty of hard work along the way. But I can honestly say that if I had not attended Epicodus, I certainly would not be doing the work I love so much today. I am grateful to the team at Epicodus for providing me with the environment, tools, and trainng I needed to jump start my career and pursue my dreams.

• Benjamin Seaver  User Photo
    Benjamin Seaver • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Epicodus 6 month bootcamp program is for the courageous and dedicated person who desires to transition into a high tech career.

It is NOT like a college or university program with several classes and a schedule you can design for yourself.

It is like a demanding entry level job. One must be there 8 to 5, Monday to Friday week after week for 6 months.  One cannot afford to take days off.  And yes, one needs to stay dedicated and regularly study during nights and weekends.

The reward for completing this program, is knowing that you can in fact work in a fast paced software development environment.  You can in fact work well both alone and also all day with colleagues.  And you can work with a variety of modern computer languages, frameworks and tools, in a short amount of time. You know this, because this is what you have been doing for 6 months.

Proof is both in your Github portfolio and in a rigorous report of accomplishment and attendance from Epicodus.

Epicodus is a credible organization that reliably produces qualified software development and high tech workers in their 6 month program.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 34 graduates included in report:

50% of job obtainers reported salaries. 6% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Outcomes Report here