epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning JavaScript, Ruby on, Rails, C#, .NET, and React. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry. Epicodus focuses on collaboration and inclusivity. Students work together in pairs and teams almost every day, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach is a core part of the program design.

Epicodus's courses also include job search preparation for students. Career advisors meet one-on-one with every student to review resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing, and even go over job applications in class. After completing the coursework, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (173) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (11) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

C#, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    October 10, 2022 - Seattle
    October 10, 2022 - Portland
  • C# and React (Part-Time)

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, React.js, C#, MySQL, GitHub, .NET, SQL
    LocationPortland, Seattle, Online
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
    August 01, 2022 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time)

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Seattle, Portland
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
  • Ruby and React

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Rails, React.js, REST, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL
    LocationPortland, Online
    Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks (or 150 hours) at an internship with a tech company. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    August 01, 2022 - Portland
  • Ruby and React (Part-Time)

SQL, Ruby, React.js, Rails, Node.js, HTML, GitHub, Git, CSS
    Start Date October 10, 2022
    LocationOnline, Portland
    We offer our full certificate program in a part-time format. This track covers the same material as the full-time program. Our part-time program starts with 40 weeks of class from 6-9pm Pacific Mondays to Wednesdays and 9am-5pm Sundays. Afterwards, we’ll support you in preparing for and securing yourself an internship; you'll put in 80 hours of preparation and at least 150 hours at your internship, on a schedule of your choosing. Each track begins with an Introduction to Programming course to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. Next, you'll learn Intermediate JavaScript skills. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to add interactivity features to a site and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will learn Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity.
  • Charles McGowan  User Photo
    Charles McGowan • Freelance Full Stack Web Development • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I would say that my overall experience there was pretty great. Pair programming can be a struggle, and sometimes it felt like I was banging my head against a wall, but overall I learned a lot from the instruction given.

I think the key to success was making sure you take the homework seriously. I found a huge difference between simply reading it, and really digging in and trying to understand things on an almost intuitive level if I could achieve it. It seems like this would be a no-brainer, but I felt like I saw several classmates do the bare minimum and it really reflected on their performance in class, and sometimes making pair programming frustrating because having not done the work, it would be teaching them all of the concepts again. Though that was really good too because then it further solidified the concepts in my head.

The cirriculum was dated, and sometimes help wasn't available very quickly from instructors, but the lack of help was rare, all things considered. I did feel like the staff was stretched thin, but that was my perceptions, perhaps on the other side of the table it's a different story.

The dated cirriculum was a bit frustration, but I can imagine with little staff to update the cirriculum, it wasn't easy to stay on the cutting edge. The other thing though... having gone through it, I realized that the cutting edge isn't necessarily the best place to be because it's often not vetted properly, so I became less frustrated with the dated cirriculum as I realized that, yes it's dated... but also it just works without unanticipated bugs. Most of the bugs we'd run into from our stacks would have solutions if we dug for them. Had it been the newest stuff, we'd be debugging javascript based issues without pre-existing solutions, which could drastically slow things down potentially.

Overall I'd say it was a great experience, and nothing beats the value of the internship that they placed me in. Having even 5 weeks of real world work experiences was worth the value of the program without a doubt.

• Connie  User Photo
    Connie • Student Verified via GitHub

I recently finished the intro to programming course and plan on taking the full-time course at a later time. Epicodus provides you with all the resource that you will need to enter the career field of programming and software development. Of course, you need to put in the hours but epicodus will be there to teach you the proper way of doing things. I think epicodus is very welcoming of anyone who wants to learn programming, there are people that are just starting and people with a bit more experience but everybody gets the attention they need. I will continue to master and have fun with what I learned at the intro course.

• Eva Antipina  User Photo
    Eva Antipina • Software developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from Epicodus in September 2018 and got hired by my internship host company right away. Actually, one of the main reasons why I chose Epicodus was an internship, included in the course. But overall experience turned out to be great. The school learning curriculum was well structured, lessons were clear and easy to follow, still leaving a room for curiosity, and encouraging further exploration. Our instructor, John Franti, was impressively knowledgable and ethical.

After the course, I felt quite well prepared for the interviews with the companies hosting Epicodus interns (yes, you have to go through the real interview process to get the internship placement, which is an especially valuable experience on its own).

I would recommend Epicodus to anyone who has a desire to start a new career path in software development (and who is ready to put an effort to get there).

• Full-time C#/React
    - 1/31/2019
    Josh  User Photo
    Josh • Front-end engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

To anyone considering Epicodus, I would highly recommend it. If you are lucky enough to get John Franti he is a flexible, patient instructor, who definitely will you help you to be successful in any we possible. In terms of the curriculum at Epicodus it definitely prepares you for your job search after graduation. If you put in the effort, it will definitely pay off as it did for me, as I’m currently am full-time front end engineer 6 months after graduation

• Torin Huff  User Photo
    Torin Huff • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the night-time Intro to Programming course this last fall, and I was definitely not disappointed. I had tried doing some online free courses and, although I had learned a lot through those free courses, I knew I needed something more structured and with face time in order to really grasp some of the concepts. This class was perfect for that. Not only was Kyle a great instructor and there for any questions we had, but the whole setup of the class itself made for a great learning environment. I was a little nervous about pair programming, as I’ve always thought that I learned better by myself when I can just sit with something and go at my own pace, but I was pleasantly surprised. Working with someone allowed me to ask questions, explore, and learn with them in ways I know I wouldn’t have done on my own. The course material was pretty great as well, just because we covered a wide variety of topics and there was enough there to do in class to understand the basics, but also because there was plenty to do at home if we wanted to.

I haven’t had the chance to join a full-time class, but I fully intend to once I have the budget and time to do so. Taking the part-time class was totally worth it. I actually took the skills I learned in that class and made a brand new website for my company. Like I said before, there are plenty of incredible online resources, but if you find yourself needing more structure and a great learning environment — choose Epicodus.

• Matt Miller  User Photo
    Matt Miller • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I personally had a really good experience at Epicodus. After trying my hand at using free online resources to teach myself coding, I found that I really needed the structure of a classroom with schedules and deadlines to keep me motivated and on task as well as teachers and peers to help answer questions and improve my understanding. To this end, Epicodus was totally worth it. The course work was mostly very good. There were occasional issues since curriculum is often being updated, but the staff were responsive to feedback. I also found the response to questions was usually prompt and helpful, but even more important was my amazing cohort. Pair programming with other students every day was sometimes intimidating, but really helped me learn. From answering questions to helping interpret lessons to giving feedback on code, working in pairs (and groups for projects) was one of the most valuable features of the program.

The internship was a big selling point for Epicodus as well, and I was very fortunate to get a great internship. I know that the internship experience of my cohort varied, with a few students having major issues, but hopefully Epicodus will continue to increase their consistency with respect to quality internships. Regardless of internship, I feel that the career support for graduates is pretty strong and another benefit that makes the program well worth it.

• Lifelong learning
    - 12/4/2018
    Brittany  User Photo
    Brittany • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I decided to attend the Intro to Programming Course (evening/part time) at Epicodus once I knew I was moving to Portland from NYC. It was a great chance to meet new people, learn some new skills, and see if I might be interested in changing careers. The Intro to Programming Course was perfect for me because it allowed me to get a taste of programming without having to commit to a full-time program and was flexible around a work schedule. The price point was also perfect for me.

Our instructor Kyle was great - he was happy to be as hands-on or as laid back as each programming pair needed. I loved pair-programming - there are so many online resources that you could technically teach yourself most of the programming stuff you'd need to know... but if you're an interactive learner like me that benefits from mutual accountability.... SIGN UP FOR EPICODUS. You'll learn so much from your partners, both about programming and how to think about problem solving. This course was totally worth it!

• Verna Santos  User Photo
    Verna Santos • Co-Founder of Triple Spark Design • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I’ve researched a few bootcamp school and Epicodus was the right fit for me. The price is reasonable for what I was looking for. Coursework is straightforward and the videos are great but wish there was a few more videos towards the end of the course which they are aware of. It was very challenging for me esp. with no coding experience but I was able to pull through with the support of the instructor and my cohort. The instructor is very knowledgeable and helped me comprehend the basics.

Overall, I enjoyed (even on the tough days) and learned the skills I need to continue to grow my business attending Epicodus.

• Elrey Belmonti  User Photo
    Elrey Belmonti • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Epicodus is a great place to learn how to code and become a developer.  Coming from a non traditional developer background, Epicodus gave me the skills and the confidence to land my dream job. The staff, teachers, and fellow students were and still are amazing support system. If you ever thought to yourself, “I want to learn how to code but don’t know where to start”, let Epicodus give you that start. “I would like to become a developer but I am not smart enough”, let Epicodus prove you wrong.

• Isaac  User Photo
    Isaac • Wordpress Designer / Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I enrolled in Epicodus during the late summer of 2017 and graduated as recently as March of 2018.  I started my first day at my new job in early July.  I wouldn't have been able to start this new position if it weren't for the skills and direction that Epicodus provided for me.  The instructors are top notch they do not coddle you and walk you through everything, they know how to proud your mind into thinking in a manner that you will eventually come to a conclusion and if you eventually cannot solve it they will find the time to assist you.  Class sizes are reasonable and the people there seemed very friendly.  The atmosphere is not competetive in any way, I was in no way shape or form the best person or strongest coder in my cohort, but I felt like in order to find a job after your classes are finished you must be relentless in applications if you want to work.  Also I knew from fairly early on I didn't necessarily want to work as an App Developer I just wanted to help build and design websites.

• Byron Chang  User Photo
    Byron Chang • Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I started with a bit of extra web development experience compared with the majority of my classmates. Within 2 weeks I felt like I was swimming in the deep end, Epicodus is FAST at ramping up and challenging you to your fullest. I loved every moment of it. (I should mention that Epicodus does not require you to have any development experience as their courses will bring you up to speed. They do a great job at it!)

The classroom environment is set for rapid learning, the instructors were great and very knowledgeable and you are surrounded by other students who learning along with you. Sometimes asking another student for help is just as helpful as getting guidance from an instructor.  Although troubleshooting issues on your own is part of the process, this prevents you from getting stuck for too long on any one problem.

In addition to learning how to code the latest technologies, the guidance that they provided for your Linkedin, resumes, and cover letters were amazing. They helped me look like an aspiring professional with the skills and experience to back it up. Highly recommend and have already done so to a friend!

• Emilie  User Photo
    Emilie • Jr. Web Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Epicodus stands out from other bootcamps because of its academic structure. It's a 6-moth, 40 hour a week program. You treat it like a job and feel like a real developer right from the start. It's roughly the same number of classroom hours as an undergrad CS degree, and since it's done in six months, students are learning the latest, most relevant technology. By the time I graduated, I had hundreds of hours in React and two Android portfolio pieces on my resume, which helped me stand out.
    I loved my instructors and how they taught the core principles of coding. The fact that learnhowtoprogram.com is free says a lot about Epicodus' mission to help everyone have the opportunity to learn. I would recommend Epicodus to anyone willing to work hard to change their career path.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 34 graduates included in report:

50% of job obtainers reported salaries. 6% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Outcomes Report here