epicodus-logo

Epicodus

Online, Online, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle

Epicodus

Epicodus is a coding bootcamp offering part- and full-time courses online and in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. The first 5 weeks of Epicodus’s full-time program are offered for free. Students learn everything they need to know to get a job as a web developer by learning Ruby, Rails and React or C#, .NET and React. Each track includes Intro to Programming and JavaScript. At Epicodus, students learn how to build web applications from top to bottom with modern technologies and practices. More important than any particular skill, cohorts are taught how to think like a programmer, write good code, and pick up new languages and technologies in this fast-changing industry.

Every track also includes job search preparation for students; support and instruction in crafting resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and online presences. Career support staff meets one-on-one with every student to review and practice interviewing skills. After completing courses, students are placed in hand-selected internships with tech companies at no extra cost, allowing them to begin their job search with coding experience already on their resumes. To kick off their job search, graduates participate in a Demo Day where they present projects to local, hiring employers.

Recent Epicodus Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (157) reviews for Epicodus →

Recent Epicodus News

Read all (10) articles about Epicodus →
  • C# and React

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    Start Date August 3, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning C# and .NET, which are both developed by Microsoft. Students who are well-versed in C# programming can use it to create client applications, database applications, distributed components, and much more. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    August 3, 2020 - Seattle
    August 3, 2020 - Online
    October 12, 2020 - Online
    October 12, 2020 - Seattle
    October 12, 2020 - Portland
  • Intro to Programming (Part-Time Evening)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Start Date August 4, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    This course is for absolute beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic webpages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Here's some of what we'll cover: HTML and CSS: the presentation and styling languages of the web Git: the tool programmers use to track their code Command line: the tool programmers use to interact with their computers Markdown: a simple language for documents JavaScript: the programming language of the web jQuery: a JavaScript library for making interactive web pages Bootstrap: a framework for easily creating good-looking websites

Minimum Skill LevelNone
    August 4, 2020 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    August 4, 2020 - Portland
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
    August 4, 2020 - Online
    October 13, 2020 - Online
  • Intro to Programming (Special)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those affected by Covid-19.
  • JS and React (Part-Time)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date August 4, 2020
    LocationSeattle, Portland, Online
    Note: Successful completion of Intro to Programming is necessary to enroll for our part-time JavaScript/React course. Our part-time JavaScript/React course is designed for working professionals and others interested in learning how to code on a part-time basis. Over 20 weeks, students will learn JavaScript and React.

During the first eight weeks of the program, you will learn Intermediate JavaScript skills such as how to test your code, working with asynchrony, and making API calls.
 During the final twelve weeks of the program, you will learn how to build applications with React and Redux. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. Redux is a state-management library often used with React to handle changes in an application's data.

After 20 weeks, you will have the skills to explore careers as a front-end developer and to further your own professional development.
    Skills Fund, Climb
    Minimum Skill LevelSuccessful completion of Epicodus' Intro to Programming course
    August 4, 2020 - Portland
    October 13, 2020 - Portland
    August 4, 2020 - Seattle
    October 13, 2020 - Seattle
    August 4, 2020 - Online
    October 13, 2020 - Online
  • Ruby and React

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, REST, SQL
    Start Date August 3, 2020
    LocationPortland, Online
    Our focus is to prepare you for a career in the growing tech industry. Learning to code is a valuable skill that employers are constantly searching for in web development and design careers. Each track begins with a 3-week Introduction to Programming course for beginners to learn the fundamentals of programming. After completing this course, you'll be able to build basic web pages and understand programming fundamentals. No coding experience is required, but computer proficiency is necessary. Next, you'll spend four weeks learning Intermediate JavaScript skills. JavaScript is the only programming language understood by all web browsers, making it the most common language for web and mobile development. Students who learn how to code in JavaScript will be able to create simple to complex web pages, add interactivity features to an existing site, and update pages quickly without reloading. After completing JavaScript, students will spend seven weeks learning Ruby and Rails. Ruby is a programming language focused on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write. The Ruby programming language is most commonly used with the Ruby on Rails framework. The final six weeks of the in-class portion of Epicodus is spent learning React. React is a JavaScript library used to create dynamic, interactive user interfaces. It allows a site to quickly update many different elements at once without reloading the page. Since its development at Facebook in 2011, it has exploded in popularity. After completing the in-class portion of the program, you'll spend five weeks at an internship with a tech company. As part of Epicodus, local companies host students as full-time interns. It's a chance for students to learn about how development works in the real world, and a chance for companies to work with talented developers in the making. Internships are included at no additional cost to students.
    Yes, available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    August 3, 2020 - Online
    August 3, 2020 - Portland
  • Cat T. • Graduate

I was in the Summer 2014 session(Javascript, Ruby, Rails).  I moved to Portland from Southern California to attend Epicodus.  My only experience in programming was the pre-course work that we had to do for the class before Day 1, and maybe fiddling around with pre-made Myspace & Tumblr layouts way back when.  I'll be honest, I definitely felt that not having any experience made it especially hard because it's difficult not to compare yourself to the ones who are moving at a quicker pace, especially during that first month.

About the school:

It's a 4 month long immersive program, with the 4th month being an internship at a local company.  Class was 5 days a week, 9am-5pm (there would often be students who were there outside of class hours to work as well).  Once a week, they would bring in a guest speaker to talk to us about the industry, as well as answer our questions and give us an opportunity to network.

Once internship time rolled around, we all had a few weeks to go over the list of companies available to us.  We chose our top 10 to interview with.  Out of the 10, Epicodus worked their matchmaking-magic and set students up to interview with 5 of the 10 they chose.  The week and a half of interviews was stressfull as heck.  It was the week students became sharks in order to get their top choice (just kidding).  After interview week, students made another 'top 3' list out of the companies they interviewed with, and the companies also ranked their top candidates.  Then Epicodus worked their matchmaking-magic again and boom, success, most of us(if not all) ended up with companies that we were happy with and had a great experience at.

Not only was Epicodus there to help us gain programming experience out in the real world, but we had a whole week of interview practice, something that colleges may offer but don't always push you to do.  Best of all, a good number of Epicodus students were hired on full-time at the companies they interned at.  For those who weren't,  after the 4-month session came to a close, the Epicodus coordinators continued to work hard at networking and reaching out to companies in order to find employment for their alumni.  They kept in contact with us, encouraging us to keep our github active, and not to give up on applying to jobs.  They would also bring in recruiters every so often to give us mock interviews.  It is no joke how much Epicodus cares about its students.

A year ago, I was working at a boutique PR firm, making minimum wage.  Today I'm making games, something I never thought I would be doing in this lifetime.

• Go to Epicodus!
    - 4/6/2015

I attended Epicodus a little over a year ago and had austerely minimal experience with coding beforehand. What I did have was a desire to learn and problem solve.

With a lack of experience came some nervousness, but that faded away after sharing my enthusiasm with Michael in our initial phone interview. What I had experienced over the phone came to fruition in class as well: what matters most is having the ambition to take the time to fully understand something and figure out how to make it better. Michael teaches you the "how" and "why" of coding. The class as a whole encourages how to teach yourself!

That's the beauty of Epicodus - you're immersed in a learning environment where no one knows everything no matter how long they've been coding! Everyone is learning all the time constantly having new ideas, creating and figuring out many ways to solve many a problem. While I took the Ruby/JS course, the point of an immersive coding class was executed in full at Epicodus. The objective isn't merely to learn as much as possible about the languages covered (however, that's awesome too), but to go beyond that and understand the building blocks of web development, regardless of the language.

Michael has a knack for spreading the excitement and fun in web development because he's a developer at heart. That's what makes him such a great teacher: always striving to make things better. Be it code, be it Epicodus itself.

Long story short, I recommend it :)

• Amoreena • Software Engineer • Graduate

The reason I chose Epicodus over other programs is the founder Michael. He is truly a wonderful person. He crafted the program with the intention to help as many people as possible. All course materials are freely available online and that alone speaks to his genuine passion to teach anyone to code.  I would highly recommend this program to anyone dissatisfied with his or her career prospects. The Epicodus sponsored one-month internship is why I am currently employed and being paid to learn iOS development.

• Bobby Grayson (@_devbob) • Backend/Data Engineer • Graduate

I came into Epicodus, physically, with nothing.
    However, I did come with a passion for coding and a desire to learn. It quickly turned into the best experience I could possibly have.
    It is exemplary in teaching you the skills needed. This is shown even moreso in how Michael has continued to offer cohorts for students that fall into disciples other than the typical RoR and JS setup. He truly wants to play it to what the market needs and is best for the students.

My class was very successful. Everyone has done well afterwards, and I'm doing amazing in my career and keep growing. And Epicodus doesn't only just teach you how to code. Michael is completely dedicated to virtues like diversity, lack of discimination and sexism, and other matters of that nature and it shows. It is the most friendly, inviting room in PDX and I believe it will be that way a long while.

• Raouf • PM

I rarely write reviews about products or  services I purchased.  However, I am making an exception for Epicodus because it was such a positive and  amazing journey for me.    I searched all the programs available at the time (late '13) and Epicodus was the only 4 month program, by far the  longest and also cheapest program out there.

I knew that i needed at least  4 months to learn programming.    While I do I have a BS and MS in Information Technology,  i was by no mean  a programmer.  I was successful in my career but deep down the work did not excite me any longer, and I I decided to  do something about it.   Right after my interview with Michael, I knew that Epicodus was IT.

I have lots of respect and love for  Michael.  He's one of the most genuine and kind hearted persons I've met.   Michael allowed every student to pay AFTER the end of the class and that WITHOUT even asking for your ssn, dob or anything… How amazing is that in today's world?  All other schools demand  a credit report before even considering to put you on a payment plan.

To me, these schools are businesses and not learning institutions.   Epicodus  is a learning institution.  I would do the program all over again in a heart beat if I could.  I loved the vibe of the city, the people, the beer, the daily tech meet ups, the gorgeous hikes and I am certain  you will too.

All the best,

Raouf

• Mark L. • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate

I went to Epicodus after working in a few different unsatisfying careers and thinking I might like to code. Of all of the bootcamps I researched, Epicodus seemed to provide the best value in terms of knowledge gained vs. price, not to mention it’s situated in the heart of the “Silicon Forest” of Portland, OR, a city buzzing with techies and tech companies.

The environment differed from any other formal schooling I’ve been to in that the onus was definitely on me, the student, which is as it should be. What I mean by that is the lessons were given as homework to be read and/or watched on video at home at night, then the following day activities and projects were given to reinforce the learning from the previous evening.

All programming was tackled in pairs to help avoid some of the hair-pulling frustration associated with getting “stuck” on a problem. This also helped us get to know our classmates better, thereby building our network.

The curriculum is constantly updated to stay current and provide the best information available. In fact, lessons would occasionally even be updated the same day they were being taught.

Instructors were knowledgeable and helpful. Michael, the head of the program, and some of his assistants helped set up month-long internships with local code shops in the area at the end of the program to help us gain real world experience. During those internships, we also focused on getting resumes and LinkedIn profiles setup and fine-tuned to prepare for the job hunt.

All told, I learned Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, jQuery and some SQL in 4 months, made a bunch of new coding friends, and got a job making decent money, all because of Epicodus. I’d call that Success! I would recommend (and have already recommended) Epicodus to anyone wanting to learn programming.

• Well Worth It!
    - 2/12/2015
    Amy V.S. • Developer • Graduate

I came to Epicodus with a graduate degree in the arts, and a desire for a more prosperous career and lifestyle. My time spent at Epicodus was worth every second, and their job placement team is unlike any that I’ve experienced before in academia. Epicodus’s dedicated staff checked in with us weekly, kept us informed of new job postings and network opportunities, provided empathy, and helped us stay positive. Thanks to this amazing and supportive team, I landed an sweet new developer job with a company that suits me perfectly!

• Overall Experience:

I arrived knowing HTML/CSS and how to make a simple if/else statement -- nothing more. I was definitely driving the strugglebus for the first two months of the program. It's hard work, don't let anyone say otherwise. You have to work for it if you want it, but that's why Epicodus is so great -- the instructors and the owner, Michael have built a very supportive environment. Epicodus is designed around pair-programming and a D.I.Y. attitude. It's unconventional, yes, and I was a bit jarred by the structure at first, but you have to find your groove. I chose Epicodus because I believed in the owner's vision of making tech as accessible and affordable to anyone who has never had the luxury of being exposed to it before. As for job prospects, let's just say this little engine could and I am gainfully employed thanks to the efforts and continuous support from the Epicodus staff. It's been a good ride.

• Sergii Mertsalov • Software Developer • Graduate

If you're just getting started with programming or struggling to learn it on your own then Epicodus is definitely the way to go. Without prior coding experience working a full-time job, it was quite a challenge to get myself going on programming. After a few months of wrapping my head around with Javascript and Ruby, I realized that in order to accelerate my learning process and make it more fun I needed to collaborate with other self-learners like me and make my studying full-time. Here's where Epicodus comes in.

The course is structured that way that you get challenged enough every day by working on real projects with a partner. The instructors are always around to make sure that nobody gets stuck and to clarify any stuff you don't understand. After finishing each section you are encouraged to complete a coding assignment (it is not required but highly recommended). This way you can indicate whether you’re ready to move on or need to spend a few more days on the previous stuff and also get a feedback from instructors on your piece of art :) There are also weekly check-ins with instructors to make sure that you’re doing alright and going at the right pace. Michael, the founder of Epicodus, and the instructors always try to make students’ experience better, so any ideas and feedback from students are taken into account.

At the end of the program most of the students (if not all) get a one-month internship in one of the local companies. Some of them get hired there afterwards. For those who don’t Epicodus provide job support by sending out new opportunities daily, setting up mock-up interviews, checking in cover letters and resumes. After finishing my internship, I spent about a month before I landed my first job.

Epicodus was the best learning experience I’ve ever had and I can’t emphasize it enough. I recommend it to anybody who want to learn how to code and start a new career in programming.

• Hunter Meyer • Software Engineer • Graduate

I picked Epicodus because at 17-weeks it was the longest of any other bootcamp I could find. This was important to me as it meant we would spend more time digging into the programming languages, developing good habits, building more projects, and exploring more technologies.

This type of in-depth immersion into programming gave me the skillset to build and develop applications, side-projects, and interact with other professional developers with confidence.

Employers could tell Epicodus produces great talent as I landed a full-time software engineering position in Atlanta within a month of graduating.

I recommend Epicodus to anyone looking to become a professional developer and want to get the most bang for their buck. Epicodus sets real-world expectations but over-delivers on results.

• Liz Tom • Creative Technologist • Graduate

Before Epicodus I was working freelance in the entertainment industry and knew nothing about web development.  I decided to take the risk and move to Portland to take Epicodus.

The course is set up so you watch videos at night and work through various problem sets during school hours.  There were times that I was frustrated when I didn't get clear answers from the instructors but have come to appreciate that a lot.  They were teaching us how to problem solve.  The course is set up to help you get a job as a developer and I've definitely used the problem solving skills I learned at Epicodus at my new job.  We learned by pair programming.  While I was nervous with pairing with a stranger everyday, I quickly found some great friends in my program.  I'm pretty sure I learned as much from my classmates as the instructors.

Job Support:
    At the end of the course, the instructors helped us with our LinkedIn profiles, resumes and online presence in general.  I never felt like I was floundering while searching for jobs.   Epicodus was there helping me find job openings and helping me with my interview skills.  Even though I'm in Washington DC right now, I know that if I ever wanted to return the area that Epicodus would be there for me to help me out in my job search.

Overall I had an amazing experience at Epicodus.  Be ready to be thrown in and don't expect a lot of hand holding.  Even though you might not understand why some days are not more structured, in the end I believe it's made me a better developer.  Epicodus is 100% the reason I've been able to transition careers smoothly.  The price is also an amazing part of the program.  I moved to Portland and paid for the course and I still ended up paying less some more expensive bootcamps.

• Aaron • Graduate

I attended Epicodus not knowing what to expect or what I would get out of it. Now, looking back, I can accurately say that Epicodus teaches the right way. The program is designed to provide structure and support without coddling or providing more than necessary. The best way to learn is through experience and Epicodus enabled me to experience failures in a way where I felt secure enough to push through them on my own but had the support of students and staff there to support me if I needed it. The program pays great attention to providing you with professional opportunities after it ends through their internship program and even to this day almost a year later I still am contacted by the staff asking how I'm doing, if I need anything and keeping me plugged into their network. If you're on the fence, apply already.

Epicodus Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 43 graduates included in report:

87% of job obtainers reported salaries. 5% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read Epicodus' full CIRR Job Outcomes Report here